Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

SupplicationSupplication

Wants: 2,106
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
coldmeat23

Oklahoma

4.6/5  rDev +0.7%

GLASS: Lindemans Flute
TEMP: Cellared at approx 55 degrees
BATCH: 04x5
Corked & Caged 375ml bottle
Thanks to timbro81 for hooking me up with this long time want!

This pours a clear amber color. The head of tan colored foam is thick, creamy, and over four-fingers worth. The retention is great and the lacing is full and sticky.

Get a light touch of definite barnyard funk, ala Brett. Tart cherries, along with a hint of peaches. Mild yeastiness. Light hint of oak.
This does not smell as sour as expected, but it does smell delicious.

The brett funk really shines here but it is doing battle for attention with a nice presence of cherry tartness. It has a level of cherry sweetness lying just beneath the surface.
This is a wonderfully balanced and very flavorful beer. Funky, tangy, tart and sweet, all play in harmony.

Light-to-medium body on this one with a high level of carbonation. It is very sharp and crisp.

The 7.00%abv is nowhere to be found in this one. Jesus, it's smooth. You could drink this one very quickly and very often.
I need more.

03-29-2010 03:49:27 | More by coldmeat23
ChrisPro

4.25/5  rDev -7%

Draft for Sourfest 2009 at Brouwer's for SBW. Pours a nice dark orange/red with a cream head. Citrus was the dominating aroma and grapefruit followed into the flavor. The yeast is more pronounced here as well and finishes long on the tongue. Similar to other Russian River sours, but great overall. (7/5/7/4/16 - 3.9)

Re-rate: 375mL bottle of Batch 04x2 tasted on 3/11/10. Pourse solid orange with beautiful cream head. Aroma of orange, cherry, oak and pine. Dray fruity flavor of peach and currants with nice tart cherry. Little dry beer that is very sour but an amazing sipper. (9/5/8/4/18 - 4.4)

03-29-2010 01:19:37 | More by ChrisPro
femALEist

4.43/5  rDev -3.1%

Had this on tap at Toronado during SF Beer week.
Supplication by RR is a brown Ale aged in French oak Pinot Noir barrels with three strains of Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, Pediococcus and sour cherries. 7% abv.

The Supplication 07 is a two year old aged version. It poured beautiful teak color. It smelled of fresh sour cherries, oak and Brett. It tasted sour on the sides and back of my tongue with some oak dryness. There is cherry fruit upfront but it is sour but not super pucker sour.

The Supplication 09 looked pretty much the same except a shade lighter. It's nose was not as pungent at all compared to the 07. The taste is more fresh bing cherries, more oak and less sour pucker. I got some pucker on the roof of my mouth, but it has much more fruit compared to the 07. If you are new to sours, this one would be a good one to try. It's not as full bodied as the 07 but it tastes more fruity and oak. Dave liked the 09 better, however I appreciated the more sourness you got out of the 07.

03-25-2010 19:17:17 | More by femALEist
Casey10

Maine

4.53/5  rDev -0.9%

Really, is this a beer, or a champagne.

The beer to me was almost like a champagne and then you realize it might fall unto a beer category.

This is why any enthusiast puts on their must have list it is awesome.

The fact that this beer is a bit more atainable than others makes it even better. If you have not had this you must try it.

03-25-2010 05:06:01 | More by Casey10
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.72/5  rDev +3.3%

Batch 004

A: Beautiful amber/orange hue with tiny cherry particles floating everywhere (I emptied every last drop of the beer), creating a speckled appearance similar to a robin's egg . Nice head retention and lacing.

S: Mouth watering. What an enticing pleasant sour aroma with prominent fresh cherries.

T: Even better than I hoped for. This is exactly the sweet/sour balance I have been looking for in a cherry beer. The cherry flavor is so delicious, it floored me. The beer is sour, but not overly so, and has hints of sweetness that meld brilliantly. It just tastes so clean and fresh - I don't know how else to describe it. I could go on and on singing Vinnie's praises...

M: No alcohol detectable whatsoever. The finish is fantastic, with a light wild yeast and cherry pie aftertaste.

D: This beer is chuggable and dangerous. I wish I had an entire cellar full of this. Easily one of the best and most enjoyable beers I have ever had.

03-25-2010 04:05:06 | More by Huhzubendah
Mistofminn

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

Thanks to kbutler1 for breaking this out, side by side with Isabelle, at a recent tasting.

Batch 4 I beleive.

Pours at first clear, but becomes hazy as subsequent pours are dished out between the four of us. Copper orange in color, has about a finger of white head that has decent retention, and a swirl here and there keeps it going strong. Leaves a bunch of lacing down the sides of the glass.

The nose is very vinous, and oaky. Not as funky as I expected, but boy it is tart. Cherries and light vinegar notes round it out.

Starts out very sour and tart, with sweet fruits and malts lying in the background, almost completely covered up by the sourness. Cherries are harder to pick out in the taste than they were in the nose, and again it's very wine-like. Again, not much brett or funky flavors. It's great tasting, but I think it's just slightly less sour than Isabelle.

Mouthfeel is about medium in body, with an appropriately high carbonation. As the carbonation dies down, it becomes smooth and easy drinking. Drinkability is great.

Overall, Russian River doesn't disappoint with this one. Is it better than Isabelle? Some may say so but I don't think so. In a year or two, however, this bottle will probably be much better, so look at it whichever way you want. An exceptional beer and one I would love to seek out in the future. Thanks Kevin for opening another bottle that has been on my wants for some time.

03-24-2010 04:20:28 | More by Mistofminn
youradhere

Arkansas

4.1/5  rDev -10.3%

375ml bottle poured into a tulip.

A- Pours hazy toffee with a white head that quickly falls leaving a crust of fallen head.

S- Smells sour (of course), cherries, oak and funk.

T- taste is sour up front followed by cherry with a subtile malt backing.

M- mouthfeel is a bit thin but fitting for something of this acidity and abv; I would like to see this with a lil more "oomph" in the mouth department though.

D- Really good, I could easily drink a 750ml of this and go for more. Reminds me of a smaller La Folie.

03-24-2010 02:59:09 | More by youradhere
cbutova

4.88/5  rDev +6.8%

On-tap at TJs yesterday in PA for Pliny The Younger and Friends, reviewed from notes. This beer was a life changer for me. I have had a decent amount of sours but nothing that remotely compared to this one. I think I may become addicted to sours in the next months just because I have always enjoyed very sour foods. Anyways... Served in a large flute like glass. Pours like wine with not much head or lace but a pretty awesome looking orange-copper color. The smell is nice. The lambic-like sour/funk notes are there with oak and cherries. Wine notes come through and also grapes. This balance became more evident as the beer warmed up and I fell in love with it. The taste of this beer was the real life changer for me. Very smooth. Starts out with an absolutely fantastic amount of sour fruits. The wine notes hit me soon after. The aftertaste is what really killed me, out of this world. From the time I swallowed the beer to a few minutes after the taste of cherries just grew on my tongue. Eventually it just tasted like a mouthful of fresh cherries (mind you there hasn't been beer in my mouth for a minute now). The oak and grape notes only add to a flavor that really needs no assistance. God.. the cherries are so good. Mouthfeel is suitable and enhances the beer for me. The body is moderate and nice and creamy. The sour makes my cheeks pinch but I like it. A coat of fruit sour, grapes and cherries stays on the tongue for a long, long time. Do I have to explain the Drinkability? The taste was perfect for the whole glass, the price was great. I will never view sour beers the same after this and will have a new standard to judge them to. I can only hope to have this beer again sometime in my life.

03-22-2010 02:07:00 | More by cbutova
Reagan1984

4.78/5  rDev +4.6%

A nice two finger head formed atop the beer in my tulip glass. Had a brief stay and fell to a thin cap. Beer is a dull copper color with excellent clarity. At first a touch of lacing, but later it was all over the inside of the glass.

Aroma is awesome. Tart cherries, earthiness and some oak notes. As it warms the aroma mellows and becomes more toasty.

Wow, I just love this. Very nutty, toasted cashews. Of course, nice tart cherries and a touch of vinegar. Wood notes linger in your mouth. Some of the same flavors I encountered in Allagash Vagabond. Once you become accustomed to the sour notes, the flavor just explodes. The oak notes play perfectly with the tart cherry flavor.

Mouth feel is light and fluffy initially then powerful. Carbonation brings the flavor to life.

Ok I'll be trading for more of this. Just an awesome beer to drink. I am making myself savor every last drop however, I want to consume it faster as it's just wonderful. Hats off again to Russian River.

03-22-2010 00:31:26 | More by Reagan1984
KeefD

4.7/5  rDev +2.8%

Batch 4x1. Pours a hazy copper orange color with a large two finger white head that's kept afloat with some gentle swirls, and leaves some killer sheets of lacing all down the Duvel tulip. Absolutely fabulous looking.

Lots of carbonation bubbles being released from the laser etching, so I give it several swirls to get the aroma going. Very pleasing, oaky, wine-like aroma with only a touch of funk in the background. Light vinegar and cherries are in there somewhere, along with some citrus fruits.

Holy tomole, this is one sour brew! Starts out tart and sour, followed by a sweetness from the malts that are buried deep within, followed by some tart cherry, although the cherry is a little less prominent than I had expected, along with some lemony flavors that are generally associated with the brett, and a dry, oaky, vinous finish. Not much in the way of musty, leathery type flavors and aromas I usually get from wilds, which is a nice change. Overall, a tart, fruity, wine-like dry beer. Good stuff.

Body is medium, with high carbonation. As the beer gets close to the bottom of the glass, most of the carbonation has subsided from constant swirling (I can't help but swirl this glass and bury my nose in it) and it has become quite creamy, which is in an interesting contrast to the bite of the acidity.

Overall, this is one great brew and the 375ml serving is perfect. It's sour as hell which could kill the drinkability in any bigger of a containment vessel, but this serving was just right. Becomes incredibly more cherry like and complex as it warms, and once the carbonation has mellowed, this is one fine beer. Not sure if I like it more than Consecration, but it's another great from RR. Can't wait to see how this one ages.

03-22-2010 00:05:56 | More by KeefD
AgentZero

4.22/5  rDev -7.7%

A - Deep reddish color with a slight head that dissipated with some nice sticking on the sides. Very good looking beer.

S - Tart cheery smell, nice oaky backbone, get a nice wine, almost vinegar influence on this. Good funk, but tartly so.

T - Quite deep and tart, with a phenol brett-funk on the end. The cherry taste is dep, but not sweet, and the wine influence comes through nicely. Nice earth tones in a very rich taste. Slightly too deep, I prefer my wild ales to be a little lighter, but good tart taste.

M - Slightly slick, just a little too heavy for the style for me, but not bad. Very dry finish, nicely tart.

D - Easy drinker, good taste, sweetness is not overpowering by any means. Great beer by RR.

03-21-2010 20:44:41 | More by AgentZero
BeerGodz

4.95/5  rDev +8.3%

On tap @ Standard Tap

Look: Deep amber, slight haze, thin head with no retention little lacing. No surprise though.

Smell: Brett funk, cherry, oak, and malt

Taste: Up Front: Tartness, cherry. Finish: Brett funk, oak, an almost Pinot Noir like flavor at the end

Mouthfeel: Light/crisp body with a light carbonation works perfectly here!

Drinkability: Simply amazing

Overall Impression: This beer is beyond amazing!!! I enjoyed this even more than Consecration, and I was not sure that was possible. It's very hard to find, and it's expensive, but you simply MUST buy it if you see it. Once you taste it, you'll forget all the price.

03-20-2010 19:37:29 | More by BeerGodz
meeekyh

Colorado

3.35/5  rDev -26.7%

From a 375 ml bottle into a Fin Du Monde tulip. Batch 04X5

The beer is a deep amber, clear save for the little bits of somethingoranother floating around in it. The head is off-white very full and fluffy and prone to lacing and leaving fluff.

Nose is lactic-acid, like buttermilk. Upon warming a bit I note some brown spices and green grasses.

Taste is sour with a bit of tartness. No, really. I can flesh out a bit of sweetness back there someplace and some plum but this is one tart treat. I imagine some more complexity could be there someplace...

mouthfeel is light and finish is dry.

Drinkability suffers both from the extreme tartness and the hefty price tag, though it is remarkable nonetheless.

I think I will not be buying much more of this beer. It is interesting and sour to be sure but not so much to my liking.

Slainte.

03-20-2010 04:19:31 | More by meeekyh
ecoastman

Ontario (Canada)

4.47/5  rDev -2.2%

This interesting ale has a nice cherry hue, cherry aroma, and cherry taste. The fine carbonation gives it a refreshing character and champagne-like feel. Really unique and I wish we could get it in Ontario. Thanks to JZED once again for sharing this rare treat from California.

03-20-2010 00:52:37 | More by ecoastman
sisuspeed

New Hampshire

4.33/5  rDev -5.3%

Batch 04x1

Thanks to sleepydave for dropping off this brew! After popping a Confluence the other night I was feeling a bit nervous about this one as well. At least I got the cage off this time before shooting the cap across the room. The bottle foamed up a bit, but I had two wine glasses ready to go, so no problem.

Pours a slightly hazy, orange-cherry color with a slick, thin, white head across the top. Leaves some pretty lacing down the glass.

Lots of sweet and sour cherries on the nose. The pinot noir character comes out as well, giving a the cherries a slightly vinous touch. Further swirling of the glass pulls out subtle oak notes, adding some nice complexity to the aroma. Besides the sour cherries there's not too much funkiness going on. Pretty clean.

Mmm... nice tart cherries wash over the tongue right away and eventually trail off into a dry, sour, finish. Vinegar notes mixed with wine, but still overshadowed by the cherries. Malts are fairly crisp and clean. The oak barrels come through nicely, adding just a touch of refined woodiness and traces of vanilla. The more I sip, the more this beer reveals. A very well crafted flavor.

Mouthfeel is a bit foamy, with champagne like carbonation. A slight bit of acidity, but not too much. Body is pretty good for an American wild, but not quite at same level as many of the Cantillon offerings.

Drinkability is good. Lots of tartness and cherry flavor. I could definitely enjoy a 375ml bottle by myself. I think if the body were a bit less foamy I could enjoy even more, but it's still goes down pretty easy. A beer that is meant to be sipped and savored.

Overall, this is my first Russian River sour out of the bottle and I'm finding it to be pretty awesome. Lots of cherry, nicely complex, this beer is a great example of the American wild style. My only real complaint is that I don't have a few to age in my cellar. Keep up the great work Russian River!

03-19-2010 01:15:31 | More by sisuspeed
DIM

4.85/5  rDev +6.1%

I was very excited to split this with my dad. He loved Iron Hill's Barrel Aged Permanent Midnight, another sour beer aged in wine barrels. If he loved IH's I reasoned, surely this would knock his socks off. Sadly this wasn't the case. Too sour for his liking, he said. Oh well, on to what really matters, my opinion.

a: This is a dark golden color with some amber highlights. It poured with a small fizzy head.

s: I should just give up trying to describe sour beers, I just can't find the adjectives that seem to fit. I smell sour cherries that seem to have some floral qualities. I also got wine aromas blanketed by prickly mustiness. As woefully inadequate as it is, that is the best I can do.

t: Incredibly tart without quite becoming obnoxious. Dry overall, while managing to have a little underlying sweetness. Just a hint though. Tastes like red wine saturated with sour cherries. Here again, I just don't have the ability to describe what I'm tasting. I just know I love it.

m: The carbonation is on the gentle side. This has a looong tart finish.

d: Well, my dad looks like he is trying out for a Rolling Rock commercial. He just doesn't like it. For me though, I'm glad I was able to purchase and consume a bottle before the PLCB got ahold of it. Russian River continues to astound me.

03-18-2010 20:45:00 | More by DIM
jeffthecheff

Connecticut

4.63/5  rDev +1.3%

Batch 4. Thanks to Joe for splitting the bottle. We prepared for a gusher by opening it over the sink...but it wasn't so bad. It pours a really nice, dark red color with good clarity. The color is really bright and inviting. A newsprint white head forms but quickly turns to great lacing in my tulip, with a few islands of foam.

The nose is sour with a bit of funk and mustiness. There's some nice, dark fruit in there, some fruit punch, and sour cherries. It's fruity, complex, and very inviting. The taste is earthy and fruity with a big cherry flavor. It reminds me of cherry flavored sour candy. There's also some citric lemon mixing in with all the fruitiness. The finish is a little tannic with an earthy, tea like flavor.

The mouthfeel is moderately carbonated, a bit more would have been good. The finish has a bit of a puckering tannic feeling to go with the acidity. This was a great beer that I will try and have again. Splitting this bottle is ideal.

03-16-2010 00:02:48 | More by jeffthecheff
callmescraps

4.38/5  rDev -4.2%

It's about time. I've been saving this for a special occasion. Then I realized that drinking this beer would make any night a special occasion.

Appearance- A reddish chestnut. It appears brown, but glows a warm, deep ruby when held to the light. Half inch of head with some nice big bubbles. Slightly off-white.

Smell- Very nice. The cherry comes through, without a doubt. Sour, old cherries. A nice funky farmyard. There is a strong vinegar note that is sharp on the nose. The wood comes through as well. Good stuff all around.

Taste- The cherry comes through immediately. There is plenty of wood as well. It finishes wonderfully tart. Would like a little bit more of that funky goodness. That sharp sour note really gets the salivary glands going, so I'm literally drooling over this one. The acidity on this one is no joke.

Mouthfeel- Great carbonation. Nice and bubbly on the tongue. Good body. Very nice.

Drinkability- So tart it's a little tough, but I'd love another one. Still, the acidity is near overwhelming. Tums, please.

Another knockout from Russian River. I just can't get enough of their beers. May not like it quite as much as Consecration, but everyone is a winner in that comparison.

03-15-2010 05:44:29 | More by callmescraps
froghop

Washington

3.9/5  rDev -14.7%

pours a cloudy dark orange with a small off-white head, and good lacing.

smell is of sour malt, wild yeast, cherry, and tart fruits.

taste is tart, fruit, cherry, wild yeast, and malt, ends very sour and somewhat dry.

overall a very good sour ale.

03-15-2010 00:11:21 | More by froghop
squaremile

Oregon

4.7/5  rDev +2.8%

Nice orange/amber color, half finger white head that maintains throughout the whole glass. Well carbonated. The smell itself hurts my jaw and the sourness has a great bite but is not the most hardcore I've ever had. Instead it's just perfect for continued drinking. Cherries, pinot, and oak flavors dominate. The drinkability is truly exceptional. One of the best wild ales I've ever had.

03-14-2010 05:30:37 | More by squaremile
semibaked

Kentucky

4.22/5  rDev -7.7%

Many Thanks to bulldogp04 for sharing this with me. Poured into my fav Tulip glass. This was batch 004.

A - Pours an amber color with about a half an inch of tan head with tons of carbonation and some decent lacing on the glass.

S - Super nice oak aroma with some bright cherry juice and a great sour funk to it.

T - Super bright sour cherry taste with phenomenal sourness.

M - Medium bodied with sharp carbonation, better mouthfeel than I thought it would have.

D - As much as I enjoyed trying this I can't see drinking it alot, it is a palette bomb for sure.

03-14-2010 03:47:30 | More by semibaked
SpeedwayJim

4.53/5  rDev -0.9%

Batch 001 375ml. corked, caged, and taped bottle with the most stubborn cork I have ever come across... poured into a tulip. Shared with schen9303.

A: Standard pour yields a 2 finger coarse white head with great retention. Beer is a cloudy reddish clay color. Lacing is minimal, spotty in parts with very little cling.

S: Sweet and sour cherries, wood, farmhouse funk, with a subtle vinegar. Smells exactly like it should with moderate power.

T: Wood, vinegar, this one will burn a hole in your stomach. Very acidic, cherry flavor is present. Dissipates slightly towards the middle where booze becomes a bit more apparent. Woody and funky in the finish. Woodiness as an extremely unique aftertaste. Sweeter as it warms with a steadily creeping cherry candy flavor.

M: Light bodied, not overly coarse, but quite carbonated. Watery in the mouth and surprisingly not dry. Finish lingers a bit and is very unique and pleasant, begging me to go back for more.

D: Good complexity here though not overly so. What does it for me with this beer is the body. Amazingly light, invigorating, and drinkable, it complements the flavors present perfectly. Oddly filling also considering the light body, it exhausts and puzzles my palate. I could have glass after glass of this one though. Definitely worth seeking out and trying if you get a chance!

03-14-2010 00:54:46 | More by SpeedwayJim
samie85

4.5/5  rDev -1.5%

Originally reviewed on 2/28/10 at Falling Rock Tap House. I'm back to try Supplication after some palate fatigue.

A- Pours a garnet hue with a thin white head.

S-Acidic, tart cherries, oak and soil are also present.

T-Follows the nose with acidic, tart cherries, some vanilla and that clay-like characteristic is there again.

M-Effervescent and thin bodied.

D-Pretty easy drinking for the style and way too close to call between this and Temptation. It's a coin flip situation to determine which is better.

03-13-2010 07:10:20 | More by samie85
riored4v

Colorado

4.47/5  rDev -2.2%

Reviewed on 3/1/10

Poured into a Duvel Tulip. Amber with hints of ruby. 1 finger, white head that faded to a thin layer quickly.

Smell had good amount of oak and a nice presence of tart, dark cherries and some acidity.

Taste had good hints of oak. Nice acidity in the finish. Great amount of tartness and dark cherry flavor. Some great puckering that hits you in the back of your cheeks.

Mouthfeel was light body and very dry. High carbonation.

Drinkability was great. Seriously sucks that the bottle was so small. Even with the tartness it was still very drinkable.

Overall, this was very close to Consecration, but some extra tartness and oak presence.

03-11-2010 01:53:38 | More by riored4v
pwoody11

Delaware

4.45/5  rDev -2.6%

Batch 04x4 served in snifter.

Pours a nice dark amber. Very carbonated. Pour left a 3 finger head that was off white with a hint of orange color to it. Lacing is incredible and head lasted until the last drop

The aroma is kind of funky. Almost musty. Not really picking up on any cherry notes specifically but am getting some fruit notes, more along the lines of red wine.

WOW! Love it. Taste immediately reminds me of red wine. Tart and sweet. Slight hint of heat towards the end. Still not picking up much cherry.

Mouthfeel is dry and carbonated. Pleasant.

To sum this beer up, it's like beer, wine, and champagne all in one. I have to believe it is truly one of a kind. I hope I am able to get my hands on this again sometime soon.

03-09-2010 22:04:42 | More by pwoody11