Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

SupplicationSupplication

Wants: 2,232
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Opened one of my bottles from batch 04X3. Pours a ruddy dark brown with a 1/2 inch pale head in an Allagash chalice. Head laces beautifully while sipping, and stays for a good 20 minutes while drinking.

Smells like sour cherries, with good reason, with a decent amount of oak and malt. I do not notice a strong funk to the beer, but I started sipping at 40°F.

Not quite as sour as some other wild yeast ales I've tried in the past. The brown ale base is a good match with the sour cherry and barrel aging, picking up a slight tartness while also rounding out sweetness of a brown ale by marrying it with the tannins.

Swishing the beer around in my mouth, it is a surprisingly crisp beer. There is little aftertaste, but a pleasant aroma can still be detected by nose minutes after drinking it.

At 7.0% abv, the beer is very drinkable, especially with how quickly the sourness dissipates in your mouth, leaving you with the slight scent of cherry and malt to encourage you to take another sip.

4.78/5  rDev +4.8%

Batch 005x2 375ml bottle

Appearance: mahogany brown, thin persistent head, steady stream of bubbles

Smell: Burgundian cherry/raspberry and oak mixed with some hints of funk and sourness. I think some of the Pinot Noir barrels come through. The smell is a bit faint when cold, with more presence as the beer warms up.

Taste: Cherries, red Burgundy, oak (vanilla, spice), sour/malty sweet balance finishing sour. A bit of tobacco/currant. The finish lingers for a while, a sour funkiness. The balance on this beer is impressive. The sourness is noticeable, but doesn't dominate the flavor.

Mouthfeel: Medium body, finishes fairly dry.

Drinkability: With the sourness and dry finish, it is easy to drink. Each finish begs the next sip, until the bottle is gone.

4.35/5  rDev -4.6%

375ml bottle in flute. Batch 04X1.

A: Pours a bubbly amber with a thin white head that had great retention and left a sticky sheet of lace down the glass. A few flecks of yeast made it out with the pour.
S: Smells of sweet cherry with a touch of sour tartness and musty wood funk. I also pick up notes of plum skin, lemon juice and Brett.
T: Taste follows the nose with sour cherries and enough tartness to get my mouth to water, but not overwhelmingly so. There is a light malt and red wine flavor all the way through, and touch of sweetness and tannin in the finish. Aftertaste is vinous and has a slight cheesy funk.
M: Acid nips at the tongue in the dry finish. This beer is well carbonated, fizzy but soft. Body is medium, but the mouthfeel is a tad rough around the edges.
D: This most definitely lives up to its reputation. Crazy, complex and delicious.

4.8/5  rDev +5.3%

Appears a light brown/amber color with a fairly thick white head.

Smells like tart cherries there is also a sweet floral aroma. A damp wood smell and citrus smell is noticeable. The smell is very complex and is loaded with some many different smells it hard to note them all.

Tastes at first of tart cherries with a tad bit of a lemon rind taste. It progresses to a wood like flavor and a bit of cherry sweetness. There are musty and funky overtones. There are a lot of complex flavors mingling in this. It is very sour but has other flavors present as well.

Often times I find sour ales to be one dimensional but this ale has a lot of stuff going on. This is the best sour I have had. The carbonation is moderate low and light.

This is a really easy beer to drink and is flavorful but it did wreck my palate. This is deserving of the hype it has.

375ml bottle served in Unibroue tulip. Batch 04X5

Huge thank you to tturaiders for the chance to try this!

A: Moderate pop w/ some wispy "smoke." Relatively clear, pinkish copper hue. Firm, sturdy head looks like it could last all day. Even as I near the final third of this beer there is a solid finger of head. Very attractive.

S: Tart cherries jump out of the glass. Nice, citrusy funk. Smells like a hazy summer day amidst the wilderness: tall grass, wildflowers, foliage, berries, and pollen filled air.

T: Very flavorful. The kind of beer that just bursts over the palate leaving you wanting nothing else but another sip. Mildly sweet up front. Tart cherries and wildberries drizzled with fresh lemon juice. Sour and funky, but very approachable. Finishes with just a little pucker.

M: Just about perfect. The kind of feel that can only come from a bottle conditioned beer.

D: I wish I had another bottle!

I certainly had high expectations for this one and it didn't disappoint. I'm not an expert on sour/wild ales, but I can't imagine there are many better than this on the landscape of American made wild ales. Find one of these and drink it as soon as you can.

4.38/5  rDev -3.9%

I poured this from a corked 350ml bottle into an oversized wine glass. Very nice copper/amber color with a small head, not much lace.
The smell is like a good wine. The cherries are right up front with a wine barrel smell that overpowers most everything else. Slight malts and hops but barely noticable.
Wow, this is an amazing Sour Wild Ale. Cherries, wine barrel, sweet, light malts and a slight taste of earthy hops. Very smooth and not overbearing. A great sour for anybody. Wow one more time.
For a sour this has great drinkability. I could easily grab another. THANK YOU RUSSIAN RIVER, and keep up the quality on your amazing beers.

3.9/5  rDev -14.5%

Part IV of epic RR tasting including Tempt, Sancti, Beati, Suppl, and Consec. I'm re-reviewing this one because I feel that my initial review was done too early in my BA days, prior to tasting any other sours, and prior to having a more refined palate.

Dark copper, reddish brown with a persistent haziness. Supplication pours with a one and a half finger head that quickly fades to a thin film that remains for the rest of the drink. Sour cherries, musty wood, vines, slight malts, dark chocolate, raspberries, and booze. Sour cherries and ripe lemons up front followed by a funky mustiness and some alcohol heat. The aftertaste is rich in bread, sweet cherries, a touch of cinnamon, and a lingering sour must. A drinkable beer.

4.53/5  rDev -0.7%

Picked up this bottle at the Younger release. I've been taking good care of it, waiting for the right moment to crack it open. Yesterday happened to be that right moment. Reviewed from notes.

A small head shows beige over amber and tanned hues. Aromas are sour and acidic. They're undeniably fruity, but I am not confident that it's quite "cherry". But a pull from my glass tells another story. The flavors are hugely sour, a massive wop of cherries explodes in my mouth, tingles, tickles, and makes me pucker. The cherries are really sublime, though the oak offers an earthiness that does well to balance it out enough that I don't want to call this a lambic. As I sip, I notice the froth is retaining and lacing the glass ... which is always something I like to take note of. Vinous and flavorful, this ale isn't too highly carbonated and has a light to medium mouthfeel. I love a good sour, and this one is done wonderfully. I can't wait to try future batches!

4.43/5  rDev -2.9%

Pours a slightly turbid mahogany topped by a healthy, lumpy head that retains nicely and laces beautifully.

The aroma is black, bruised cherries and saddle leather, white wine, slight lemony acidity, with some green apple and unripe peaches.

The taste is acerbic bing cherries all the way with a hint of pepper, barnyard and a nice, clean, dry okay finish. Tart and crisp. Sour like a lambic, but lighter and brighter on the palate with some aged hop presence as well. Very vinous. Borderline vinegary.

Really, this is an engaging beer that really draws me in and makes me want to never stop drinking it. It feels simple and complex at the same time.

Very easy drinking and definitely a beer made for pairing with food.

4.4/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a snifter on 6/20/10

Batch 04X5

Dark tobacco-burst brown; lighter around the edges & dense in the middle. Highlights of ruby if the light catches it a certain way. An ample amount of billowy foam rose to over two fingers. Over time it has been reduced to an island of bubbles amid a skim. Very impressive clinging lace.

Tart & sour cherries are strong in the nose. Without agitation, the aroma is faintly funky but not overly so. Swirling changes that, opening up to reveal hints of wet hay, lactic acid & a bit of barnyard funk. A pervasive wooden mustiness further calls to mind a deteriorating barn.

Extremely sharp & sour cherries are immediately apparent; they're also unrelenting. Right after the initial shock of the cherries, swaths of lactic acid move in, offering an interesting (if not obscure) counterpoint. A little brett-induced funk manifests around the middle, becoming more pronounced with warmth. Undertones of oak & pinot noir creep in toward the finish. It's a bit spicy & very, very dry.

Medium-full bodied. Carbonation seems pretty appropriate. The taste is to incredibly sharp it makes the carbonation seem more vigorous than it really is. Sourness & lactic residuals linger on the finish with a some dry spiciness.

Supplication is most impressive in that the extreme tartness doesn't subside over time. I've been trying to treat it as a sipper, but it keeps drawing me in; I fear I've gone through it too quickly. This is a fine beer; I'd love to give it another consideration

4.4/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375ml Bottle - Batch 004

Pours an amber color with an off white head. Smell is tart cherries, funk, oak, and vanilla. Taste is sour cherries, oak, and some funk. Medium mouthfeel, good carbonation. Overall this is a great sour that im glad I finally got to try.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

375mL poured into Bruery tulip. Batch 4. Thanks to beerwolf77 for this one. Beer#1 of our RR tasting.

A- Pours a light copper with a slight haze to it. A small head, less than half a finger worth of head. leaves good lacing on the side of the glass.

S- Very tart on the nose. Sour cherries and a healthy dose of wood, probably oak. Maybe some grapes and some yeast.

T- The sour doesn't disappoint. Very sour cherries and little malt presence. Maybe some grapes as well. A nice amount of oak in there and just the slightest bit of brett.

M- Very dry finish and makes your mouth pucker from the sourness. A little bit of sweetness but not overly so. Light bodied with good spritsy carbonation.

D- I can see why this beer comes in a 375. It is the perfect amount of this beer. A sipper for sure but leaves me wanting it again. RR has yet to disappoint me.

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%

A: poured a amber brown with yellow highlights and a thin head that left very good sticky lacing.

S: sour acidic cherry aromas with good oak notes and barrel funk. There is also vinegar hints of brett and barn yard hay.

T: very nice sour puckering with the cherries meshing very well with the vinegar to produce a pleasent tart taste along side the oak accents and barn yard funk.

M: light to medium body with a good amount of carbonation that had a sweet sour and slight dry finish. Very nice

D: lovey sour beer from russian river these guys really know how to brew some wild ales. I'm glad I have access to it on a regular. I don't think I can get bored of this beer.

4.43/5  rDev -2.9%

On draft at the excellent Rose & Crown in Palo.

A - Hazy pinkish-orange, with a two-finger head that doesn't last too long. Thin cap and generous lacing on the glass as it goes down.

S - Cherries dominate the nose, not sweet but very sour. At first there is a bit of funk around the edges, then the sour cherries come right up the middle. I had my nose in the glass most of the night.

T - The cherries are much more subtle than I would've thought from the aroma. They linger in the background, you know they're there but they never really step into the spotlight. Sourness is the king of the ring here. Not just cherries but apple cider and maybe a little bubblegum and brown sugar around the edges. No alcohol that I can detect.

M - Pretty light, which works well with the other characteristics of this beer. Substantial but also dancing across the tongue.

D - A mixed bag... As much as I love this beer, the sourness just gets to me after a while and I need a change of pace. But I keep coming back to it.

O - I sampled six beers last night, and this is the only one I had several of. And next time I go back I'll certainly have more -- hell, it'll be the reason I go back.

4.53/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

Batch 004x1. The beer pours a clear orange color with a white head. The aroma is a lot of tart cherries with some oak. The flavor is tart cherries, vanilla and some oak. The beer is dry but not as dry as Sanctification. The cherries really make this an excellent beer. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

375ml bottle poured into a lovely snifter. Batch 3, big thanks to Bmoyer0301 for the hook up. Supplication pours a great color copper to red with orange around the edges. Nice white head with tight carbonation. Crazy fine spotted lacing all over the glass. Aroma is of musty basement and damp earthy oak first and then more of a barrel oak aroma followed by the presence of cherries. This beer has a great malty profile which is accented by masterful barrel aging. The flavor from the oak aging frames the cherry flavor very well, not in the way a kriek tastes but in the unique american style. As this beer breaths it becomes a bit more sour and leaves your palate cleanly and dryly. Supplication has great mouthfeel, perfect bottle conditioning. This beer is all about balance. The RR guys are amazing, everything you would want to taste, cherry, oak, wild yeast etc. is there and not one aspect overwhelms the others. Well Done!

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

Out of the bottle into a tulip.

Appearance: Poured with a two finger, hazy head. Beer had a nice light and refreshing amber-brown color. Looks very light. Agitation brings the head back into glory after settling.

Smell: YUM!! Sour cherries and a feint background of sweet malt. Lots of cherries and notes of guava dancing in the corners.

Taste: Sour, crisp, cherries, cherries and more sour. Really balanced and tasty. The sourness is on point, not overwhelming or boring. Perks up my taste buds and makes me want more.

Mouthfeel: Light, sharp and bubbly. Better effervescence than any lambic or champagne I have ever had. Lights the mouth up and is very, very rewarding.

Drinkability: Do you have some? I'll drink it. I'll drink it all day and all night. I would drink it in a box, I would drink it with a fox, I would drink it in a house, I would drink it with a mouse. I love it and despite the alcohol (which is hidden well) I could crush this daily and never get bored.

4.88/5  rDev +7%

It pours a hazy amber brown with a fat finger of creamy light tan head. Tongues of lacing lick the inside of the glass.

In the aroma, the yeast is a force, with a barnyard straw element that yields...well, funk. Lemony tart grain, Bretty sourness, and leather keeps things down to earth.

Upon sipping, a tangy grain flavor is sweet and bolstered by molasses. Sour lemon and pie cherries snug up through the center, along with wet oak and a hint of vanilla. A touch of vinous grapes join with a broader and more vague overall fruitiness as a light blush of alcohol warms the palate. The sourness is countermanded by an equal residual sweetness that leads to a puckering, peppery finish, complete with a gritty crispness and even a hint of coconut. This is simply a tremendous yeasty display of sweet and sour dueling with the best parts of earth and its grains.

Medium bodied, it has a lithe creaminess that intrigues as the glowing dryness puckers the mouth for some time indeed.

No, it is not the beer for every drinker, but if this is what you crave, then it will give up its bounty with glee and make you among the happiest imbibers out there. It's balanced on a knife's edge between the sweet and the sour, with the earthy goodness that damp, fertile soil of a barnyard will provide you. It has a manageable ABV, and it drinks as though it were devoid of anything that would caution you to have a care. Not only do I appreciate the style, I appreciate everything it entails. It's beers like this that make it oh so easy to do exactly that.

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%

Huge thanks to arbitrator for sending this one my way.

Bottle split and poured into my tulip the beer is a murky amber orange. A tiny wisp of head attempts to form but fails leaving soapy spots around the glass.

The aroma starts with a heavy dose of yeasty sour funk. Tart cherries and granny smith apples along with a solid wet wood and straw mix. No wet dog or horse blanket just fruity sour funk.

The flavor is super pleasant sour cherries and grapes. Not all up in your face funky but just enough to make you mouth pucker. Light tones of wood and bready yeast sneak in there to add to the complexity of this beers flavor.

Medium to light wine like body with plenty of carbonation.

Overall I wish I had a 375ml to myself. Who am I kidding I wish it was a growler. A perfect balance of sour and sweet to keep you wanting another sip. A simply spectacular beer.

4.7/5  rDev +3.1%

375 ml bottle split and poured into a Bruery tulip. 7.00% ABV, serve in a tulip, Batch 04X3.

Huge thanks to Todd for bringing the Supplication to our Russian River tasting!

A - The distribution of such a small bottle is though between 4 guys but we made it work and it still looks good. Hazy, muddy brown beer is coated by a thin but lingering off-white cream head. Lots of lace covers the glass.

S - The wild funky nose is nearly orgasmic with a bold sour punch that floods the nostrils with a fruity, ester background and a damp wood funk. Not a whole lot of what I would expect as far as wild, barnyard smells, but the aroma is simply amazing. I can't stop taking huge breaths from the glass!

T - Strong sour funk blasts the palate instantly. Damp wood and horse blanket appear more in the flavor than the nose. The tartness of the cherries comes through but not the fruitiness that appears in the nose. This is one perfect wild!

M - The super-sour blast is almost palate-demolishing with a nice tart, medium-light-bodied finish. The mouthfeel is pretty dang nice going down.

D - The 375 ml bottle is more than enough for any one person I would imagine but the beer still causes mouthwatering just thinking about it between each sip. So delicious despite the heavy flavor and feel on the tongue.

About half a finger of light tan to off-white foam spreads across the surface, of a fairly loose knit, all tiny bubbles, goes quickly but easily regained with a swirl or two, average lacing. The liquid is noticeably clear, an orange tinged brown, some loss of hue around the rims, plenty of active bubbles visible within. The sour cherry scents explode in your nostrils, evoke cranberry and pomegranate as well, sour lemons but golden honey too, horsehide, lees, drying chunks of rye bread and oats, rosemary and other garden herbs, with all of the barnyard floor and animality, the pureness of the cherry outlasts all the rest. Medium-bodied with a very strong foaminess, this almost necessary to help you palate acclimate to the unrelenting sourness of the cherry fruit. Yeast, lees, tar and a Sherry-like nuttiness fill in many of the open spaces. Very dry, one of the drier beers consumed in memory. As mouth yields to it, more raspberry, nectarine and lemon zest flavors appear. Hard to track any change as it warms, so pervasive is the sourness. A great "experience" brew but not one I'm jonesing to try again any time soon.

4.65/5  rDev +2%

Appearance: Pours dark ruby red with a quickly dissipating head. No lace and like a red wine leaves a gentle coating on the glass.

Smell: Cherries and grapes gone wild. The classic barnyard funk surrounds a very fruity concoction of delicious sour cherry and hints of that vinous red grape that is buried under the cherry.

Taste: Big blast of fruit and sourness. Although powerful, the tartness doesn't overpower this beer at all. The beer develops as you drink it from straight up cherry sourness to a funky undercurrent of fresh red grapes and berries. Overall this beer is so complex just like its sister consecration. I feel like I need a PhD to wrap my head around it. No real hints on the high alcohol content.

Mouthfeel: Bouncy on the tongue from the high carbonation, but overall fairly viscous and smooth. Body is about medium to heavy.

Drinkability: This beer is truely great stuff, while it's hard to really put this stuff down to quickly...It's not hard to finish a glass or two. Like I said about consecration, this is a special occasion type of brew.

375mL corked and caged bottle split and poured into a tulip. Batch #4. Huge thanks to beerwolf77 for sharing this one!

(A)- Pours a cloudy orange-ish mahogany color that produced a good fluffy eggshell colored head that stuck around for a awhile. Left some lacing behind as it dissipated, but really never completely. Still had some foam with the last few sips.

(S)- Crisp, yet tart smelling dark fruits with a lively dry oak and funk. Not necessarily a strong barnyard funk, but a dry yeasty/hay/straw/earthy profile to it. Goes so great with the oak spiciness and fruits.

(T)- Pretty much just like the smell. Awesome tart fruits with a spicy dry oak and earthy background. Has just the right amount of sour/tartness with the dry oak and funk. A brilliant and harmonious balance and taste.

(M)- A lively carbonation level that dances on the tongue. Expertly balanced with just the right amount of sour/tart fruit, dry oak, and funk. Awesome stuff that really is a party in the mouth.

(D)- A wonderful wild. What I love about it is how balanced and harmonious it is; not one character overpowers the other, but together, just creates an awesome beer. I did not want my glass to end.

4.33/5  rDev -5%

Appearance: pours an amber color with a short 1/2" head that falls to a thick surface foam.

Smell: tart cherries and some funkiness are interesting on the nose.

Taste: tart cherries, some dry earthy / woody tones, some soft ripe fruit sweetness, moderate bitterness, and a a surprisingly well balanced sourness here. Alcohol is barely noticeable.

Mouthfeel: medium bodied. Crisp and dry throughout. Aftertaste is long as the flavors linger inthe mout for a long time.

Drinkability: for the style this is a very drinkable beer. But one bottle is sufficient in a session. Unique and enjoyable beer.

4.38/5  rDev -3.9%

I got a chance to try this at the Toronado in San Francisco. Poured into a tiny tulip glass with just a whisp of head atop this dark copper colored beer.

The smell is exactly what I would expect from a wild ale. Lots of winey characteristics, floral aromas and just a funky aroma in general.

Suprisingly balanced and a sourness that is sharp but appealing. Very unique flavors of cherry, wood and a light caramel note. As expected this finishes very dry and puckering. While sipping this more complex cherry notes come on.

Pleasing wild ale which seems simple yet complex all the way through. Maybe it just confused my palate though since I haven't had too many wild ales. This is a tasty ale to say the least.

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company