Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

SupplicationSupplication

Wants: 2,203
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

Pours a brownish amber with some haze, and beautiful white head that rose with little effort on the pour. Nose has a fruit dessert-like aroma with a little lime. On the palate there's plenty of vinegary passion fruit, sweet malt, wile sour flavors, and a tangy sweet fruity finish. Incredibly easy drinking for the style, and no unpleasant aspects of the barnyard-ish character.

yemenmocha, Apr 03, 2010
4.4/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

After getting married and moving, I have found my notepad once again. From my wedding/honeymoon in Sonoma, I was lucky to spend and afternoon at Russian River.

A: A brownish tan color, almost caramel looking with some orange hues. Provides a small white foam head.

S: A wonderful cherry tart smell with a hint of oak. The tart cherry scent is the most present and it smells very inviting.

T: One thing I learned in wine country is to sip once, then sip twice and let it linger on the palate. First sip, I was not sure what to make of it, but as I tasted my 2nd and 3rd sips, I began to really enjoy this. A truly great cherry tart is present throughout. Through the middle and backend, the slight citrus and oak flavors come through. I kept drinking and drinking this enjoying it thoroughly.

M: Leaves a slight tart flavor on the palate. Very pleasing and not too over powering. The mouth finishes very dry.

D: I really liked this beer a lot. At first sip I was unsure of it, but as I drank more and more, I came to appreciate this gem!

IronCitySteve, Apr 02, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Received in a recent trade with colonelforbin. I've been waiting to try one of these and am damn excited to crack it open! Have a few more coming soon! Split with friends during our Wednesday gathering. Poured into my Portsmouth snifter.

Looks a murky, hazy orange-brown with a fizzy, sand-colored head made of loosely packed bubbles: Champagne-esque. This is one cloudy beer...of course, I ignored the label and dumped all of that goodness into the glass! Thick spotted lacing was left behind - I drank this one pretty quickly and there was quite a bit lacing around at the end!

I absolutely love that funky smell that comes from the brettanomyces and the lactobacillus. Nobody does it better than Vinnie. There is definitely a smell coming from the cherries - a bit of fruity sweetness. I'm not generally very good at discerning the wood smell in beers, but this one is obvious. Smells great!

Ah, just as I had hoped! A tiny prologue of sweetness before that tart blast! The cherries are a bit more subdued than I anticipated, but I appreciate that...I'm not a fan of sweet beers so this one makes the cut. While the cherries are a bit more subtle, the wood is definitely not - it is obviously in there. And the light wine qualities are certainly around as well. Light, puckering, tart, and full of good. And it all lingers. The fizzy carbonation does not detract...pretty much expected with the style.

Overall, I must admit that I was extremely impressed with this beer. I absolutely love Russian River's Temptation, and Supplication is right there with it. I really need to compare side by side. It's a damn shame the price tag is what it is...oh yeah, and that it isn't available in Indiana. Outstanding!

Consumed: 3/31/2010

hayesez, Apr 01, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -2%

Poured from 375 ML bottle into Duvel tulip.
Got this in the Sour BIF from SleepyDave

poured up a nice white head that rose one and a half fingers above a pinkish/grapefruit colored beaultiful lookin beer. Great lacing too.

Smells cherry. And oaky. Has a hint of wine or grapes too.

Taste follows smell. Has a nice sour bite-- not the mist sour beer ever, but certainly tasty nonetheless. Has an underlying sweetness that compliments the sourness nicely.

Lots and lots of carbonation in this thing!! It feels very fine and velvety though... Like a champagne. Pretty light body that drinks very easy.

Not sure I could drink this all night, but a glass here or there would bean excellent treat.

AleWatcher, Apr 01, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +7%

When I poured it into my tulip glass the active carbonation danced and propped up a frothy head. I expected the added cherries would have the overly sweetened bar cherry flavor. This is not the case. The cherries taste just as natural as if I had picked them from the tree myself, and the wood from the oak barrel aging adds a layer of complexity to the flavor that's just right. What is most interesting about this beer, and what I enjoyed the most was the sourness of it. When you finish your sip the tartness begs you to take another and leaves your mouth watering for more.

pnkRed, Apr 01, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +3.1%

I picked this up at Pinnochio's in Media, $17 for 375 ml. I poured into a snifter, light amber in color with a medium white head. There was minimal lacing. The aroma is very vinous. It is full of sour cherries and oak. It has a perfect cherry flavor. The tartness of the cherries and funk of the brett meld perfectly in this one. It finishes dry and has a little sweetness to it. The beer is a light/medium in body with mild carbonation. For me this is a great sipper. The best "sour" I have had to date.

bonkers, Apr 01, 2010

the smell of this beer alone is enough to give you a pleasant high, or atleast it is for me. Redish-orange color, with little to no head in the pour, but lots and lots of carbonation. It Seemed as though the beer must've had a thousand different flavors it was so delicious. The main flavor that stuck out to me had a sour citrus feel that just burst in your mouth. i can only imagine the type of alcoholic i would become if this beer was readily available to me.Basically this beer taste like heaven. if you haven't tried i would suggest you do so asap.

berpwillie, Mar 31, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +2%

Recieved a bottle from Drabmuh. Thanks hombre!
A- Light brownish amber fading into a darker golden hue.Nice clarity with a stream of carbonation emitting from the center of the bottom of the glass
S- Exceptional it is! Nice musty woody funk with strong flavors of tart apple and pear. Hints of grass and leather.
T- Wonderful flavors of lemon peel and tart pear and citrus bitterness. Hints of pinot grigio and berries. Nice sourness that clings to the tip of the tongue.
M- Superb, very effervescent. Leaves a tangy aftertaste in your mouth
D- Is very high, the flavors change as it warms up a bit and it just keeps getting more interesting the more you drink it.

Rbald42, Mar 31, 2010
4.4/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: slightly hazy brownish red maybe from a little bit of mistaken yeast. white one finger head that dissipates into a thin layer. Decent amount of lacing

S:Grassy sour cherries. lots of oak with a bit of an alcoholic smell

T: really nice sour cherry and oak just like the smell. it hits hard with sour and just when its about to hit the "too much stage" it backs off like it knows what its doing.

M: doesnt completely dry my mouth out which lets me enjoy it more. just enough carbonation to allow the flavors to open up with each sip

D: Mighty tasty i must say. while i would want to drink this quite often i couldnt exactly down a whole bottle 375 or 750 for that matter. im still a bit of a rookie with sours but this is the top 2 along with sui generis for me. worth the money for a nice long really well made sipper beer

chefmikeanderson, Mar 31, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +0.9%

On tap at Toronado, SF.

Lighting was dark, but the color appeared to be a red-orange rusty color. Minimal head or lacing.

The smell is like fresh cherries and brett. Sour, but not too sour, and funky.

A rather unique beer, I must say. Cherries, sour and tart, a touch of wood, and funky yeast.

The body is medium and the carbonation reminds me of a sparkling wine. Mouth. Puckering.

This was equally fun to smell as it was to drink.

Vonerichs, Mar 31, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +2.6%

I happened to be walking down Pine St. in Philadelphia after a dentist appointment today. Ordinarily, this would just be another street. However, I was far enough east that my journey would take me right past a Philadelphia beer mecca known as The Foodery. If you strolled by briskly you could easily mistake it for your typical corner bodega/deli if it weren't for the assortment of beer bottles on display in the windows. I love when I find myself in the neighborhood.

The store has the usual suspects in terms of the Belgians, a wide variety of American craft and a great selection of one-offs and randoms scattered around the back of the store. I saw the bottle of Supplication sitting by itself on a shelf and I knew I needed to purchase it. I gave up browsing at that point since I knew this one bottle would be a small fortune and worth every penny: ~$19.50 for 375ml.

I was planning to eat spicy chili tonight so I made it a point to enjoy this beverage fully before touching my dinner. Didn't want to ruin my palate with such a great beverage ready to entertain my mouth.

I poured 90% of the beer into a Duvel glass and did a good swirl to capture the yeast (against the advice of the bottle) as I like to get the fully experience even if it means extra yeast flavors. The color was brown/cherry. Jumping ahead, as I drank the lacing was light but looked like it would never give up its grasp of the side of the glass. No real head on this beer.

The smell is sour but nothing pastoral or farm-like about it other than the fact that it makes you feel strangely relaxed much like being in the rural lands of central Pennsylvania. Who would have thought that sour is a smell? As you breathe it in you can almost taste sour without anything touching your lips. The smell is enhanced as you take the first sip.

Exactly what I hoped. Sour thought smooth at the same time. The liquid is thin and first but fills your mouth instantly with flavor that makes it feel a lot more heavy-bodied. I don't know enough about the bacteria in this beer to say how they each contribute to the flavor but overall the wildness of it is enagaging but not overwhelming. It is not too wild. After drinking a sip and thinking about it for a minute the acting of licking one's lips is a treat. It is a different sense of sourness. Speaking of sourness, on the grand scale of sour this really isn't too bad. I'd give it a 6/10 on the sourness scale.

Overall, this is definitely an easy drinker which might be surprising for such an extreme mouth shocker. Equally shocking, the weight of the bottle. This is one heavy bottle for such a small volume of beer. Totally worth the price to try but I don't think I'd penny up another $20 as I'd rather try other Russian River offerings first.

chakadrum, Mar 30, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

GLASS: Lindemans Flute
TEMP: Cellared at approx 55 degrees
BATCH: 04x5
Corked & Caged 375ml bottle
Thanks to timbro81 for hooking me up with this long time want!

This pours a clear amber color. The head of tan colored foam is thick, creamy, and over four-fingers worth. The retention is great and the lacing is full and sticky.

Get a light touch of definite barnyard funk, ala Brett. Tart cherries, along with a hint of peaches. Mild yeastiness. Light hint of oak.
This does not smell as sour as expected, but it does smell delicious.

The brett funk really shines here but it is doing battle for attention with a nice presence of cherry tartness. It has a level of cherry sweetness lying just beneath the surface.
This is a wonderfully balanced and very flavorful beer. Funky, tangy, tart and sweet, all play in harmony.

Light-to-medium body on this one with a high level of carbonation. It is very sharp and crisp.

The 7.00%abv is nowhere to be found in this one. Jesus, it's smooth. You could drink this one very quickly and very often.
I need more.

coldmeat23, Mar 29, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -6.8%

Draft for Sourfest 2009 at Brouwer's for SBW. Pours a nice dark orange/red with a cream head. Citrus was the dominating aroma and grapefruit followed into the flavor. The yeast is more pronounced here as well and finishes long on the tongue. Similar to other Russian River sours, but great overall. (7/5/7/4/16 - 3.9)

Re-rate: 375mL bottle of Batch 04x2 tasted on 3/11/10. Pourse solid orange with beautiful cream head. Aroma of orange, cherry, oak and pine. Dray fruity flavor of peach and currants with nice tart cherry. Little dry beer that is very sour but an amazing sipper. (9/5/8/4/18 - 4.4)

ChrisPro, Mar 29, 2010
4.43/5  rDev -2.9%

Had this on tap at Toronado during SF Beer week.
Supplication by RR is a brown Ale aged in French oak Pinot Noir barrels with three strains of Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, Pediococcus and sour cherries. 7% abv.

The Supplication 07 is a two year old aged version. It poured beautiful teak color. It smelled of fresh sour cherries, oak and Brett. It tasted sour on the sides and back of my tongue with some oak dryness. There is cherry fruit upfront but it is sour but not super pucker sour.

The Supplication 09 looked pretty much the same except a shade lighter. It's nose was not as pungent at all compared to the 07. The taste is more fresh bing cherries, more oak and less sour pucker. I got some pucker on the roof of my mouth, but it has much more fruit compared to the 07. If you are new to sours, this one would be a good one to try. It's not as full bodied as the 07 but it tastes more fruity and oak. Dave liked the 09 better, however I appreciated the more sourness you got out of the 07.

femALEist, Mar 25, 2010
4.53/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Really, is this a beer, or a champagne.

The beer to me was almost like a champagne and then you realize it might fall unto a beer category.

This is why any enthusiast puts on their must have list it is awesome.

The fact that this beer is a bit more atainable than others makes it even better. If you have not had this you must try it.

Casey10, Mar 25, 2010
4.72/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 004

A: Beautiful amber/orange hue with tiny cherry particles floating everywhere (I emptied every last drop of the beer), creating a speckled appearance similar to a robin's egg . Nice head retention and lacing.

S: Mouth watering. What an enticing pleasant sour aroma with prominent fresh cherries.

T: Even better than I hoped for. This is exactly the sweet/sour balance I have been looking for in a cherry beer. The cherry flavor is so delicious, it floored me. The beer is sour, but not overly so, and has hints of sweetness that meld brilliantly. It just tastes so clean and fresh - I don't know how else to describe it. I could go on and on singing Vinnie's praises...

M: No alcohol detectable whatsoever. The finish is fantastic, with a light wild yeast and cherry pie aftertaste.

D: This beer is chuggable and dangerous. I wish I had an entire cellar full of this. Easily one of the best and most enjoyable beers I have ever had.

Huhzubendah, Mar 25, 2010
4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

Thanks to kbutler1 for breaking this out, side by side with Isabelle, at a recent tasting.

Batch 4 I beleive.

Pours at first clear, but becomes hazy as subsequent pours are dished out between the four of us. Copper orange in color, has about a finger of white head that has decent retention, and a swirl here and there keeps it going strong. Leaves a bunch of lacing down the sides of the glass.

The nose is very vinous, and oaky. Not as funky as I expected, but boy it is tart. Cherries and light vinegar notes round it out.

Starts out very sour and tart, with sweet fruits and malts lying in the background, almost completely covered up by the sourness. Cherries are harder to pick out in the taste than they were in the nose, and again it's very wine-like. Again, not much brett or funky flavors. It's great tasting, but I think it's just slightly less sour than Isabelle.

Mouthfeel is about medium in body, with an appropriately high carbonation. As the carbonation dies down, it becomes smooth and easy drinking. Drinkability is great.

Overall, Russian River doesn't disappoint with this one. Is it better than Isabelle? Some may say so but I don't think so. In a year or two, however, this bottle will probably be much better, so look at it whichever way you want. An exceptional beer and one I would love to seek out in the future. Thanks Kevin for opening another bottle that has been on my wants for some time.

Mistofminn, Mar 24, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -10.1%

375ml bottle poured into a tulip.

A- Pours hazy toffee with a white head that quickly falls leaving a crust of fallen head.

S- Smells sour (of course), cherries, oak and funk.

T- taste is sour up front followed by cherry with a subtile malt backing.

M- mouthfeel is a bit thin but fitting for something of this acidity and abv; I would like to see this with a lil more "oomph" in the mouth department though.

D- Really good, I could easily drink a 750ml of this and go for more. Reminds me of a smaller La Folie.

youradhere, Mar 24, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +7%

On-tap at TJs yesterday in PA for Pliny The Younger and Friends, reviewed from notes. This beer was a life changer for me. I have had a decent amount of sours but nothing that remotely compared to this one. I think I may become addicted to sours in the next months just because I have always enjoyed very sour foods. Anyways... Served in a large flute like glass. Pours like wine with not much head or lace but a pretty awesome looking orange-copper color. The smell is nice. The lambic-like sour/funk notes are there with oak and cherries. Wine notes come through and also grapes. This balance became more evident as the beer warmed up and I fell in love with it. The taste of this beer was the real life changer for me. Very smooth. Starts out with an absolutely fantastic amount of sour fruits. The wine notes hit me soon after. The aftertaste is what really killed me, out of this world. From the time I swallowed the beer to a few minutes after the taste of cherries just grew on my tongue. Eventually it just tasted like a mouthful of fresh cherries (mind you there hasn't been beer in my mouth for a minute now). The oak and grape notes only add to a flavor that really needs no assistance. God.. the cherries are so good. Mouthfeel is suitable and enhances the beer for me. The body is moderate and nice and creamy. The sour makes my cheeks pinch but I like it. A coat of fruit sour, grapes and cherries stays on the tongue for a long, long time. Do I have to explain the Drinkability? The taste was perfect for the whole glass, the price was great. I will never view sour beers the same after this and will have a new standard to judge them to. I can only hope to have this beer again sometime in my life.

cbutova, Mar 22, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +4.8%

A nice two finger head formed atop the beer in my tulip glass. Had a brief stay and fell to a thin cap. Beer is a dull copper color with excellent clarity. At first a touch of lacing, but later it was all over the inside of the glass.

Aroma is awesome. Tart cherries, earthiness and some oak notes. As it warms the aroma mellows and becomes more toasty.

Wow, I just love this. Very nutty, toasted cashews. Of course, nice tart cherries and a touch of vinegar. Wood notes linger in your mouth. Some of the same flavors I encountered in Allagash Vagabond. Once you become accustomed to the sour notes, the flavor just explodes. The oak notes play perfectly with the tart cherry flavor.

Mouth feel is light and fluffy initially then powerful. Carbonation brings the flavor to life.

Ok I'll be trading for more of this. Just an awesome beer to drink. I am making myself savor every last drop however, I want to consume it faster as it's just wonderful. Hats off again to Russian River.

Reagan1984, Mar 22, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +3.1%

Batch 4x1. Pours a hazy copper orange color with a large two finger white head that's kept afloat with some gentle swirls, and leaves some killer sheets of lacing all down the Duvel tulip. Absolutely fabulous looking.

Lots of carbonation bubbles being released from the laser etching, so I give it several swirls to get the aroma going. Very pleasing, oaky, wine-like aroma with only a touch of funk in the background. Light vinegar and cherries are in there somewhere, along with some citrus fruits.

Holy tomole, this is one sour brew! Starts out tart and sour, followed by a sweetness from the malts that are buried deep within, followed by some tart cherry, although the cherry is a little less prominent than I had expected, along with some lemony flavors that are generally associated with the brett, and a dry, oaky, vinous finish. Not much in the way of musty, leathery type flavors and aromas I usually get from wilds, which is a nice change. Overall, a tart, fruity, wine-like dry beer. Good stuff.

Body is medium, with high carbonation. As the beer gets close to the bottom of the glass, most of the carbonation has subsided from constant swirling (I can't help but swirl this glass and bury my nose in it) and it has become quite creamy, which is in an interesting contrast to the bite of the acidity.

Overall, this is one great brew and the 375ml serving is perfect. It's sour as hell which could kill the drinkability in any bigger of a containment vessel, but this serving was just right. Becomes incredibly more cherry like and complex as it warms, and once the carbonation has mellowed, this is one fine beer. Not sure if I like it more than Consecration, but it's another great from RR. Can't wait to see how this one ages.

KeefD, Mar 22, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -7.5%

A - Deep reddish color with a slight head that dissipated with some nice sticking on the sides. Very good looking beer.

S - Tart cheery smell, nice oaky backbone, get a nice wine, almost vinegar influence on this. Good funk, but tartly so.

T - Quite deep and tart, with a phenol brett-funk on the end. The cherry taste is dep, but not sweet, and the wine influence comes through nicely. Nice earth tones in a very rich taste. Slightly too deep, I prefer my wild ales to be a little lighter, but good tart taste.

M - Slightly slick, just a little too heavy for the style for me, but not bad. Very dry finish, nicely tart.

D - Easy drinker, good taste, sweetness is not overpowering by any means. Great beer by RR.

AgentZero, Mar 21, 2010
4.95/5  rDev +8.6%

On tap @ Standard Tap

Look: Deep amber, slight haze, thin head with no retention little lacing. No surprise though.

Smell: Brett funk, cherry, oak, and malt

Taste: Up Front: Tartness, cherry. Finish: Brett funk, oak, an almost Pinot Noir like flavor at the end

Mouthfeel: Light/crisp body with a light carbonation works perfectly here!

Drinkability: Simply amazing

Overall Impression: This beer is beyond amazing!!! I enjoyed this even more than Consecration, and I was not sure that was possible. It's very hard to find, and it's expensive, but you simply MUST buy it if you see it. Once you taste it, you'll forget all the price.

BeerGodz, Mar 20, 2010
3.35/5  rDev -26.5%

From a 375 ml bottle into a Fin Du Monde tulip. Batch 04X5

The beer is a deep amber, clear save for the little bits of somethingoranother floating around in it. The head is off-white very full and fluffy and prone to lacing and leaving fluff.

Nose is lactic-acid, like buttermilk. Upon warming a bit I note some brown spices and green grasses.

Taste is sour with a bit of tartness. No, really. I can flesh out a bit of sweetness back there someplace and some plum but this is one tart treat. I imagine some more complexity could be there someplace...

mouthfeel is light and finish is dry.

Drinkability suffers both from the extreme tartness and the hefty price tag, though it is remarkable nonetheless.

I think I will not be buying much more of this beer. It is interesting and sour to be sure but not so much to my liking.

Slainte.

meeekyh, Mar 20, 2010
4.47/5  rDev -2%

This interesting ale has a nice cherry hue, cherry aroma, and cherry taste. The fine carbonation gives it a refreshing character and champagne-like feel. Really unique and I wish we could get it in Ontario. Thanks to JZED once again for sharing this rare treat from California.

ecoastman, Mar 20, 2010