1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

SupplicationSupplication

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,940 | Reviews: 1,278 | Show All Ratings:
ProfessorX

4.1/5  rDev -10.1%

The first sour I have ever had. Served on tap in a 10.5 oz tulip glass. I didn't know what to expect. Nice Amber Color. Nice small head that settles at the top of the glass and dissipates as you continue to drink. The taste is fruity and bold with hints of cherry, oak and red wine. The cherry taste is there and stays with the beer with every drink. It has become the sour on which I will judge every other sour on.

02-16-2012 01:16:04 | More by ProfessorX
jethrodium

4.1/5  rDev -10.1%

On tap at Bobby G's. 5/17/12. Batch 10. Pours a reddish brown amber with a small white head settles to a ring and leaves some very light lacing on the glass. The aroma has lots of lactic acid. Cherry, funky earthiness, slight hop presence, and a hint of acetic acid. The taste is tart with a light initial sweetness. Lots of lactic, decent amount of cherry, and just a bit of brett funkiness. The finish is tart and drying with a bit of acetic acid. Medium body. Medium carbonation. Certainly one of the best regularly available sours.

05-22-2012 00:18:46 | More by jethrodium
KYGunner

Kentucky

4.1/5  rDev -10.1%

This is my first experience with a sour and I must say that I really enjoyed it. I, too, spent $18 dollars on this but I won't let it effect my review. This poured with a very thin head with little carbonated look. The color was cloudy, grainy, red and brown. I love the scent, it's tart and sour with a wine like aroma but a sweet cherry scent. After the initial shock of the tartness I became very comfortable and savor end the flavor. It was like an ale mixed with a red wine, which is very close to what it is. Overall I'm delighted with this experience.

10-08-2012 00:04:26 | More by KYGunner
JamesShoemaker

4.1/5  rDev -10.1%

375 ml bottle poured into my snifter. Big thanks to Tarheel4985 for this one!

A - deep, much deeper than I would expect. Brown, almost like a brown ale. I know the bottle identifies this beer as a brown ale, but I find that hard to believe, considering the smell and taste. This is actually my first sour/wild ale since I started drinking crafts. Quite a bit of head, considering the carbonation.

S - super vinegary. A lot of sour emanating from the glass, but also the sweetness you'd expect from a fruity beer.

T - I taste a lot of the carbonation here; plenty of fruit, but mostly the bitterer aspects of the sweetness, if that makes sense. Almost tastes like a soda.

M - despite the overwhelming carbonation, I like the mouthfeel. There's hardly any indication of the alcohol here.

O - this beer might not be worth the price tag, but it's definitely solid. I'm going to attempt to age a couple of bottles.

11-07-2012 03:54:48 | More by JamesShoemaker
Jparker37

Wisconsin

4.1/5  rDev -10.1%

375ml corked bottle. Batch 010 Poured into an oversized tulip.

A - Light tan head has an orange tint, tight bubbles. Good clarity from a gentle pour. Amber in color. Minimal lacing left on the glass.

S - Little bit of brett character in the glass that had more sediment. Candied valentines day hearts. Tartness is hard to identify but it's present in the background.

T - Puckering sourness is all over this beer. The fruitiness seems like unrippened cherry/raspberry with a little bit of bitterness to it. The finish is cleaner from a pour that has less sediment in the glass. Little acetobacter/cider vinegar flavor. Small amount of sweetness dries up quickly.

M - Medium to medium-light body, tingly medium carbonation, pretty dry feel.

O - Enjoyed the complexity in the aroma, many things going on here. Stark contrast to the taste portion. Flavor-wise this beer shows a lot of harder to find dimensions/flavors. Feel was what I would look for to compliment.

03-10-2013 20:30:20 | More by Jparker37
ASymon13

4.08/5  rDev -10.5%

It pours a pleasant amber color witha nice fluffy slightly off-white head to it. There is a good amount of carbonation rising up giving the head some nice retention. It leaves some fairly thick lacing as it recedes. It has a very dry smell consisting mostly of sour cherries. Notes of a dry white wine give it some nice complexity.

The first sip is very tart, with a slight cherry finish to it. It definitely has some solid bite to it. The more it warms up the more the wine-like qualities of the beer come through, and the tartness mellows somewhat. Some light phenols and hints of brown sugar are there as well. The carbonation is rich and gives it an excellent mouthfeel. Overall, excellent beer.

06-05-2008 06:08:05 | More by ASymon13
NJpadreFan

4.08/5  rDev -10.5%

Russian River- Supplication (batch 002)

Big thanks to SpaceCoyote for this 1.

A- Pours a Hazy blood red/ brown with a small foamy head. Quick dissipation and no lacing.
S- Very sour cherries, whisky sour mix, sugar, and tart grapes.
T- Very sour, cheek hurting sour grapes, cherries, and green apples. Sugary sweet.
M- Very sour and very tart. Sweet fruity finish.

Overall- Boy was this 1 tart! Quite unique and enjoyable is you like sour tartness. A little like a sour patch kid candy!

07-13-2008 18:24:20 | More by NJpadreFan
jrallen34

4.08/5  rDev -10.5%

I drank this batch 003 from a 375ml bottle into a Rochefort glass.

The beer pours a brownish ornange more of an orange tinge with a about 2 fingers of head that has a dark orange tint to it. The retention is great, the head lasts about 5 minuts but even after that is a heavy head that lasts forever. The lacing is great as well.

The aroma is slightly disappointing because its relatively light and not overtly complex. Mostly you just get some tartness overall with a little oak at the.

The taste is good not great. Just like the aroma its not complex just a very nice sour note from start to finish. I love sour but I want to be rewarded as well. At the end I get a little wood.

The feel is nice and coats well, drinkability is down a tad.

Overall, this is a pretty good wild ale but nothing spectactular. I prefer the RR Temptation.

12-17-2009 02:55:21 | More by jrallen34
TMoney2591

4.08/5  rDev -10.5%

Served in a Sloeber tulip glass.

Big thanks to Hophead101 and the Blind Beers BIF for this beastly extra!

Popped this brew to celebrate my buddy's engagement tonight. Congrats, Alex and Kristin! This bad boy pours a hazy auburn amber topped by over a finger of steadfast white-ish foam. The nose is up front about its bretty sourness, feeling it better to be open with us than try to hide its true feelings. I can respect that. Some tart berries, oak, light vanilla bean, and caramel corn occasionally bubble to the surface as well, but it's always the bretty-ness that looms over them all, all cocky and whatnot. The taste follows this template, with the sourness rocking my tongue fore to aft without much mercy. The brute. The berries return, along with some decidedly sour cherries, some oak, and a touch of butter somewhere behind the wall of bretty fog. The body is a solid medium, with a light carbonation and an almost sticky feel. Overall, a more-than-solid wild child, though I'm not sure how often I could indulge in this treat.

08-03-2010 04:17:08 | More by TMoney2591
bfields4

4.08/5  rDev -10.5%

Copper to amber with a slight reddish hue. thin lacy head.

Tart cherry aroma. Nice oak whiskey-ish notes.

Very tart cherries are balanced by oak and tobacco. A lingering sweetness is present.

Light very highly carbonated body. Rolls along the tongue nicely.

A good sour that comes together nicely, but I probably should have let it age a little longer to help the flavor really come out.

08-29-2011 01:51:36 | More by bfields4
AlohaRicky

Served in a Tulip.

Appearance - Color is a little amber and crimson with very little head.

Aroma - Cherries, smells a lot like the pinot barrels.

Tast - Tart more like wine/champagne.

Mouthfeel - Fine bubbles like champagne.

Overall - I personally feel like its to hybrid of Wine/Champagne/Beer. I guess I dont like Pinot because I really like the Dupont more that this highly ranked choice from Russian River.

I dont think I will invest another $12.50 for this Sour.

Whole foods has Supplication, Redemption, and Damnation on shelfs now!

11-15-2011 04:31:22 | More by AlohaRicky
kojevergas

4.08/5  rDev -10.5%

Served on-draught into a 2 oz sampler at Russian River in Santa Rosa. I'd had it in bottled form before, so I knew what to expect. Reviewed from notes.

A: Pours a one finger beautiful head of cloudy consistency and murky dark gold/copper colour.

Sm: Bacteria, yeast, souring hops, and funk. A very nice moderate strength aroma.

T: Souring hops, yeast, berries, bacteria, hints of vinegar/wine, and some wild yeast funkiness. Complex and brilliant.

Mf: Smooth and wet. Very complementary of the aroma.

Dr: Very drinkable for the ABV, sourness, and style. Affordable (50 cents per sampler!). I think overall it's better bottle-conditioned.

12-20-2011 03:43:21 | More by kojevergas
Beerandboards

New Mexico

6/2012 vintage

A - Color is a burnt orange somewhat carmel-y colored. Poured a little cold, about 2 inches of foam rises from a down the middle pour and dissipates quickly. Quite a few strings of champagne looking bubbles rise through the glass.

S - Smells awesome. Lots of dry wood, some fruit-y type character that I cant quite pint point. This is one of the first beers I've tried (admittedly not a lot sours) where I get that funky barnyardy type smell. (at least I think thats what it is) just a slight funky-ness to it. Not offputting, really great in fact.

T - First sip is a kick in the teeth of sourness. Lots of tart dark cherry. Some sweet apple cider vinegar type notes as it warms up. Oak. Clean and crisp sour finish on the end.

M - Nice level of carbonation for the medium its working in. Some nice bubbly carbonation. Nice light-medium thickness.

O - This is a really great sour beer. On the sour side of balanced, I think lots of people could enjoy this, as it really plays all the bases well. I'm interested to see what its like after some time in the cellar.

01-25-2013 22:59:08 | More by Beerandboards
Dope

4.08/5  rDev -10.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 041113.

A: Pours a beautiful ruby red. Tall, fizzy tan head. Almost soda-like. Fizzes out pretty quickly. Zero lacing and little head retention.

S: Tart cherries with some leathery tannins. Hint of oak and a little sweet fruits join when swirled - sweet raspberries I'd say mostly? General berry fruitiness everywhere.

T: Whoa, much more sour than the aroma betrays. Tart grapeskins from the wine and loads of sour cherries up front. Sour cherries don't fade, they actually get more and more tart through the middle. A little bit of raspberry sweetness and then lots of oaky, leathery tannins in the finish.

M: Medium bodied, mouth-puckeringly sour.

O: Seriously sour, I actually think this was more sour than beatification. Or maybe it's just the wine adding more layers of tartness that amplify the sour cherries. I'm not sure. Strongest/sourest cherry flavor in a beer I've ever had. A little over the top for me, but obviously well crafted. Big and bright flavors for sure. Barrel aging isn't over the top and adds quite a bit of complexity. I'm not a big fan of wine or wine barrel beers so my subjectivity is showing with my scores. It's a good beer but just not up my alley, I think.

12-03-2013 05:41:26 | More by Dope
weeare138

Thanks to PWalk...
Appears an amber/orange with a small white head and streaky lacing.
Smell is of brett, wildness of tart fruit, slight oak barrel aging.
Taste is slightly vinous, wild, and sweet but sour. Maybe some cherries in the mix. Pretty complex.
Mouthfeel is smooth, wine-like, chewy but pleasant, sweet & sour.

09-23-2005 17:38:55 | More by weeare138
Backer2004

4.05/5  rDev -11.2%

Thanks to Ray and Cornelia who shared this at the Charlotte BA tasting. absolutely beautiful bottle score extra points (hey, it's my opinion). The only other Wild Ale I've had is also from Russian River (Insanity?). Nice copper color with sour grape taste and smell. It's hard to be "wild" over this style, but I believe Russian River has nailed it.

05-24-2006 00:47:55 | More by Backer2004
tempest

4.05/5  rDev -11.2%

Ordered a bottle of Batch #2 from the RR online store.

Its a hazy red with a bit of foam. Smells of oak, leather, paint. Tastes tangy and a touch bitter with cherry and pinot flavors for the barrels. Drink this one cool as the fruit flavors come out more. The funky bacteria flavors tend to overtake this one as it warms. A heck of an interesting brew though. I'd take this over Rodenbach any day. Cheers to RR for making weird stuff like this.

03-01-2007 23:50:51 | More by tempest
gthornton

4.05/5  rDev -11.2%

Pours a murky amber red/brown with a hint of gold when held in the light. A 1.5" head recedes within a few minutes, leaving a sticky lacing.

Acidic cherry at the front and brown sugary sweetness in the back.

Sweetart-like sourness on the tip and sides of the tongue. Tart cherry again taking the lead here.

Mouthfeel is like a sour cherry candy... a rush of tart up front washes away cleanly, then finally a quick rush of tartness comes back up front.

The mouthfeel makes me want to keep sipping, it is addictive in its uniqueness. Would be great with thanksgiving dinner.

02-14-2010 08:17:01 | More by gthornton
emmasdad

4.05/5  rDev -11.2%

I had been wanting to drink this one to celebrate passing the bar exam, and although I have a bottle ready to go, the opportunity to try it came up, and I didn't pass it up. Pours a somewhat medium brown, with a smallish white head. Aromas of red grapes, tart cherries and wood. On the palated, this one is bracingly sour, with fresh cherries and oak fighting the balance battle. Another nice effort from the folks at Russian River.

09-23-2010 03:21:51 | More by emmasdad
oregone

Oregon

4.05/5  rDev -11.2%

Looks nice. Not as striking as Cons. nor as beguiling as Tempt.

Smells like a theoretical cross betwen those two. Animal notes. Pronounced vinous influences. Barrel (wine barrel) aromas. Similar to being in a winery.

Tastes like... Sour. Of course. But little else. Strong richness to help, but only hints of fruit and little real character.

Mouthfeel is excellent. Crisp, refreshing. Carries the strong flavors through the palate for maximum effetc, but sadly lacks some of the nuance of its brethren.

Drinkability suffers because it doesn't beg for more consumption. Great as a few ounce pour. After that, it gets burdensome.

10-26-2010 09:15:08 | More by oregone
DarthKostrizer

On tap at the source

Look: Pours a reddish brown color with a 1/4 inch off white head and ok retention some spotty lace

Smell: Tart cherries sour apples vinegar and a bit of oak

Taste: The flavor is far more balanced than I expected it to be. The beer starts off with sour cherries with some slight funk. This is followed up by a touch of sour apples and vinegar.

Mouthfeel: Just under medium body fair amount of carbonation light and crisp and tingly

Overall: A pretty good wild ale I would drink this again if someone gave it to mel

08-15-2012 03:01:05 | More by DarthKostrizer
instrumentality

4.03/5  rDev -11.6%

I poured the contents of a 12 oz. bottle into a pint glass. The head filled it to the rim, then settled to a dense 1/4" lacy layer. The color was a light orangy-copper color. I held the beer up to the light and saw a swirling cloudiness that made it seem like something significant was going on inside that glass. I was anxious to proceed.

I perceived the odor as a mixture of cherries and pine.

Upon entering my mouth, the first sensation I felt was tartness, extreme tartness to the point where could actually feel the glands in my neck swelling from the shock. I quickly identified the source of this tartness as a cherry flavor which gradually became sweeter and more soothing as my taste buds adjusted. Mixed with this was a flavor reminiscent of champagne.

It was very abrasive on the palate, acidic, somewhat vinegary, somewhat heavy on the carbonation.

Tart cherries? Acidic? Vinegary? Abrasive? Despite all of these seemingly deterrent qualities, I actually enjoyed this one. It went down more easily with each sip, and not just because the alcohol was taking effect. I liked that the cherry flavor was tart rather than sweet, as it tasted more genuine and better complemented the other intense flavors.

Supplication is unlike anything I've ever had; in a blind taste test, I'd wonder if this was, in fact, a beer, and not some other category of alcohol with which I'm not familiar. Maybe I'm just not that well versed in high quality brown ales, or maybe this one's just in a league of its own.

I decided not to read the bottle before trying this so as not to bias
my senses, but now that I read the description--the year of aging, the winemaking background of the brewer, the similar process to champagne making--I understand why this beer tastes so unusual.

I'll definitely pick this one up again on occasion, and I'd like to try it with a heavy meal, perhaps some tri-tip and mashed potatoes.

05-20-2006 03:02:24 | More by instrumentality
Erdinger2003

Iowa

4.03/5  rDev -11.6%

Bottle exploded all over an we lost some of the beer (wait until the yeast is out of suspension when it gets to your house by mail). Yeah. Pours a slight head that goes away right away. The color is brownish gold with a cloudyness. The smell is very Belgian with Brett yeast and some horse blanket, but the age has made it so it's not too offensive. The taste is sour with an lemon-like aftertaste mixed with the horse blanket sourness. It's definetly like my first sour beer where I made a sour face, this is mellowed and nice. The mouthfeel is good, a little heavy like water, but nothing negative to say about it. Overall it was nice to try, I would have this again sometime.

03-11-2007 07:21:14 | More by Erdinger2003
PatronWizard

4.03/5  rDev -11.6%

Thanks to orbitalrOx for sending me this. Enough with the thanking, let's get to the drinking.

Apricot caramel color. Huge white head. Tons of tiny bubbles. IT'S ALIVE!! This is one busy ass beer. The head tries to relax a little but the upward swell of bubbles keeps it going.

Mouth wateringly sour smell. Unable to pick out the particulars because I'm a maroon, but collectively speaking, this puppy is sow-wah!

Taste is Extra Sour. I'm talking pucker-fucker sour. Probably the best tasting sour outta the five or six I've tried. Sours are such a masochistic style. Like habanero salsa. First reaction is 'shit that hurts' and second reaction is 'give me some more.'

Again I'm at a loss to describe the feel of a sour. Too busy puckering, but I think I notice some carbonation. Finishes quite dry. Gives a certain flatulent feeling to the belly. Or that might be the raisin bran I had for breakfast. Either way, something wicked this way comes.

Overall: not everyday but makes for a rare treat

10-27-2008 01:54:30 | More by PatronWizard
alpinebryant

Connecticut

4.03/5  rDev -11.6%

Pours a bright Amber Copper with a large head for a sour, plenty of haze and lots of carbonation present from the bubbles at the bottom of my chalice.

Smell of strong funk, brett and cherries throughout. Plenty of tart aromas as well as a granny smith smell.

Taste of strong brett flavors , granny smith apples, tart cherry and drier than a desert on a hot summer day. The Brett flavors are stronger than temptation which I thought I liked more. Not a whole lot of flavor from malts that I can pick up among the battering ram of funk. Among the funk some oak is definitely present. Mouthfeel is on the medium side, with a heavy dosing of carbonation. I am under the assumption TUMS will be on the menu later today.

05-29-2010 17:08:21 | More by alpinebryant