Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

SupplicationSupplication

Wants: 2,035
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
nhudson

Alabama

Batch 2 poured from a 375ml bottle

a: Amber/Red in color, small head with no lace at all.

s: Cherry and vinegar, you can tell that its a 4 year old bottle. The funk really comes out as well.

t: Really one of the best "sour" beers I have ever tasted. Sour cherries, very sour and very complex that I just cant point out. I am tasting some of the wood as well. Very complex and tasty beer, especially for such an old beer. I really thought that it wouldn't be that great of a beer either.

m: Thin and very carbonated and finishes very dry

d: Highly drinkable if you are a fan of sour beers. If I had access to this beer on a regular basis I really think that I would be drinking it all the time.

01-22-2011 01:16:42 | More by nhudson
bluemoonswoon

4.45/5  rDev -2.6%

Big big thanks to JackCrow for throwing this one in as an extra.

A: Cloudy, bronze, cherry, head is thick bubbly with tinges of pink and sandy brown mixed together with the standard whipped cream white head. Lacing is a pretty solid curtain, especially considering the sourness of the beer. So good on me for really cleaning my glass.

S: Woody and even slightly sweet cutting though coming through the sourness, very flowery, oaky with an almost unassuming cherry tartness. peppery, white grapes, white peaches.

T/MF: Incredibly woody, tongue numbingly tart. sour cherry, white grape skins, plum skin, lots of skins of fruits is what I am driving at here. Finish is bigger on the berries, blueberry, currants in particular. Feel is full, super bubbly and sticky and dry at the same time. Sticky is perhaps the wrong word to use here, more of a constricting dryness like the beer was stretched over my tongue and shrunk wrapped around it.

D: Fantastic beer, would love to have frequent access to it so I could bury it in my cellar for about a dozen or so years and see what would happen. The tartness my be a bit overpowering for those not expecting it and gives you pause between each sip to let your tongue recover, which I suppose isn't such a bad thing as it lets additional flavors to develop in the finish.

05-09-2010 00:27:16 | More by bluemoonswoon
elricorico

Alberta (Canada)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Batch 003. Hazy orange brown in colour with a large fluffy cream coloured head. Head lasts and lasts, even growing for a minute after the pour. Rings of lacing as I drink. Looking good.

Smells of oak, vanilla, some cherry, orange or lemon rind and a strong acidic sourness/tartness. A feast for the nose.

Tartness right from the beginning. Sour and citric, a bit musty and cetainly fruity. Pineapple impressions in the middle and finish. Oak is there throughout, but it is not overpowering. Puckering and lip smacking.

Very dry to the mouth, with a bit of body and ready carbonation. Acidic in the finish, leaves as much after-feel as aftertaste.

I like it, very much, but thinking about more than one bottle at a time is not appealing. That being said, I'm sure the brewer didn't intend this beer to be sessioned. Something to savour for sure, if you are a fan of sourness, this will test just how much of a fan you are.

07-16-2008 03:43:02 | More by elricorico
DAllspaw

Indiana

4.45/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at RR brewpub while on vacation. A fairly light clear brown with some tan head. Light body and mouthfeel but the most complex, layered sour I have tried thus far. Reminds me a it of morning wood from against the grain brewery, albeit not as dark, but similar.

07-13-2013 00:45:49 | More by DAllspaw
IdrinkGas

Batch 06X2
A: As always I poured it gently into my snifter and was rewarded with a finger of white head. The head doesn't stick around too long . It looks like carbonated cherry juice.

S: Sour cherries, red wine, some oak, a little brett. Its got complexity on its side.

T: Tart cherry, oak flavors and just the right amount of brett funkiness all blended together perfectly. Definitely some wine comparisons. Its sour but not overwhelmingly so.

M: Light bodied and surprisingly very refreshing.

O:Had this on tap a few times at Monk's and I always seem to pick one up when I go to the bottle shop. Definitely my favorite of the -tions. The only bad thing about this beer is that due to the sourness and acidity I wouldn't really want to drink more than one. Overall a great beer!

05-05-2011 22:44:06 | More by IdrinkGas
NittanyBeerFan

4.45/5  rDev -2.6%

Poured into a 7 oz champagne flute and allowed this to warm to about 50 degrees before digging into it.

A: Pours a darkish peach, almost has some brownish color to it. There is a ring of head around the edges of the glass, but as with most wilds that I have tried, the carbonation does not manifest itself in any form of visible head. Additionally, the carbonation seems to be better masked than I have seen in bottled wilds. There are no coarse bubbles on the sides of the glass submerged in the beer (as you would see in soda). This is in stark contrast to the Yellow Bus and Frambozen that I tried at my last tasting of sours.

S: Obviously, one of the dominant aromas is the strong brettanomyces funk, but there is much more to this beer than just sourness. Very evident is a musty and tart cherry character, undoubtedly from the cherries used in the creation of this beer. However, there is also a sweet aspect to this that I did not expect. It doesn't come from any malt profile, so I suspect that it is again the cherries.

T: The first striking thing about this beer once it is on my palate is that it is much more sour than I had initially expected after the aroma was mild and somewhat sweet. This is definitely a Russian River sour, as their yeast strain comes though very evidently. This sour flavor is complemented nicely by an earthiness that comes from the barrel aging, sweetness from the cherries, and an underlying red wine acidity from the pinot noir aging.

M/D: This beer is very desirable on pretty much every level. Despite looking flat, Supplication on tap surprises with a tingly feeling of carbonation that envelops the palate, working with the yeast to give a mouth-puckering feeling. As this was the latest batch of Supplication, I imagine that a couple more months of aging will do this beer a lot of good as the sour notes mature and amplify. However, the flavor and the balance of sweet and sourness in the this beer is impressive, to say the least.

02-02-2010 05:27:34 | More by NittanyBeerFan
zoso1967

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

100th review! Popped the cork and the beer almost foamed out all over the place. Luckily I had a glass ready. This beer pours a lovely dark mahogany with a slightly tan head that sticks around in clumps and leaves wonderful lace. Surprising that it is not more carbonated given the fact that it was a gusher. The aroma is quite nice and full of sour cherries, vinegar, Funk and earthiness. Taste is very sour and very delicious. Puckering and complex. Pinot noir, tart cherry, woodiness, some wine like tannins, lemon like citrus... there is just so much going on. More vinegar than lactic acid, but both come into play. There is some alcoholic warmth in there as well, and it plays off the other flavors. The finish is long, super tart and slightly sticky. Mouthfeel is medium with a good amount of carbonation. Pretty refreshing and drinkable, but this is one to savor. A fine sour from an amazing brewery.

04-15-2010 00:55:59 | More by zoso1967
drtth

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Poured into a Duvel glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically. Batch 007.

Appearance: As poured from the 375 ml bottle the beer is a lightly hazed reddish cherry wood color with a 1/4 “ white head that soon recedes to a ring around the glass and a tiny layer of foam over the liquid. Sipping creates sheets of foam that quickly become scattered patches and a few legs of lacing that cling to the glass. Even as the beer is nearly gone there is still a ring of foam and some trails of lacing when sipping.

Smell: The aroma is a complex mix of tart cherries, a bit of the oak and pinot noir, some traces of the malt and some very light traces of vinegar that emerge in the background. There’s also a light touch of vanilla but minimal funk character.

Taste: The flavors, as expected from the nose, are a complex mix of sour, tart cherries, along with some traces of vinegar. In the background are some traces of the oak and wine with a definite trace of vanilla. While this beer is too young from the bottle for there to be much funky character to the flavor, it is easy to imagine what it will be like when it has some more bottle age.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is on the light side of medium bodied and smooth with light but persistent carbonation. The finish is relatively long as the tart, sour cherries lead into a puckering dryness that spreads throughout the back of the mouth. This is also where a touch of bitterness shows itself in the back of the mouth before it gets lost in the tart dryness of the finish.

Drinkability and Overall Impression: I found this one quite drinkable in that each sip was easy to take and easily followed the preceding one. If you are looking for one word to describe this beer, think “complexity.” This is a beer that deserves its reputation and overall is an excellent beer. I’m looking forward to seeing how bottles of this one age over the next few years.

09-26-2011 00:11:57 | More by drtth
sukwonee

Washington

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Giving this a 2nd try. I didn't think much of it about a year ago, but I have grown to like Sours since.

375ml bottle (batch 7) poured into RR Tulip

A: Reddish brown color, it's transparent, but a bit murky. Lots of bubbles forming in the bottom of the cup. Half a finger head, almost no lacing.

S: Sour fruit... (cherries probably as written on the bottle - hard to make out), yeast, vinegar-like scent, maybe a bit of grapes

T: Tartness and sourness hit you - then a small pause - then more sourness towards the end. I get the wine flavor in my mouth a little bit and at the end lingering (mostly as an after taste), but it's mostly sour, acidic, and tart cherries, lemon (especially in the middle and towards the end, lemon kicks in, followed by extreme second wave of sourness). Very very sour (but not as sour as Beatification)

M: High carbonation, light-to-medium body. Near Perfect.

O: I enjoyed this bottle a lot more than my first one. In fact, I will drink this more in the near future. I still seem to prefer Temptation and Beatification over this one, but regardless, an excellent sour.

05-08-2012 06:43:03 | More by sukwonee
kbeals

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Got his beer BIF'ed to me by a very generous mjmadden. I've been looking forward to this one, so here goes...

A- A dark amber body complemented by a finger of white fizzy head. Head dissipates down to a thin layer but then sticks around for the entire session. Streaky lacing make an overall wonderful appearance to this brew.

S- Lots and lots of sour cherries with a bit of funk. A touch of sweetness underlies the entire beer which helps to balance it out a bit.

T- Wow! That exact word was my first reaction to this beer. A puckering sourness by the sour cherries makes my mouth water with every sip I take. Funkiness is limited a bit by the tartness of the brew, but it is so tasty.

M- Light body with a very prickly mouthfeel. Acidity of the brew makes my mouth feel slick with saliva.

D- Drank the bottle over the course of an hour. The bottle was more than enough, but each sip left me wanting more. Damn, this is one tasty beer.

Also, this was my first sour so I was a bit nervous about what I would find. I had heard that this is an excellent "starter" sour, so I'm glad to have received this one. mjmadden came up huge for me with this brew. Thanks again!

05-27-2010 01:22:12 | More by kbeals
projectflam86

375ml Batch 005X4

A- Pours a ruby red color with a thick white foam that leaves great lacing.

S- Red tart cherries and brett funk make up the majority of the nose. A slight sweet malt aroma is barely present.

T- All cherries and funk. Not quite Kriek cherry tartness but still very tart and very flavorful. Some slight vinegar and brown malt with a sharp acidic finish.

M- Medium/light bodied with nice carbonation. Dry and juicy at the same time. Very interesting feel.

O- This is quite a beer. Tons of flavor and a nice sourness that is a staple of many Russian River brews.

07-31-2011 23:22:34 | More by projectflam86
cadaugherty

4.45/5  rDev -2.6%

Appearance- Golden with a nice head of champagne style bubbles. The continuous flow of carbonation from the bottom of my glass is a sight to behold.

Aroma- As with most RR beers this is my favorite part. The spice from the yeast and tartness are readily apparent from the first sniff and cause my mouth to salivate the way it did when I was 10 and I had a pack of Sour Patch kids.

Taste- Very tart upfront but the cherries and sweetness come through gradually and create a complex and acidic flavor.

Mouthfeel- A little bit thicker than I would like, but the excellent carbonation helps this out.

Drink- This is a sipper, let it sit and warm gradually as you work your way through the beer. It can last forever and never goes bad. But hardly what I would call easy drinking

11-15-2010 18:09:52 | More by cadaugherty
Cmack15

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Wow I was really surprised by this beer. I thought the cherries were going to be too much for this beer and ruin it but I was so mistaken the cherries really make this beer great. The color is a nice deep brown. Slight sourness and cherries plus some malty sweetness are the aromas that greet your nose. These same flavors come through in the taste plus a few other notes that hard to truly pick out. I could see a few years really helping this beer balance out and become even better. Great to drink now but some age will just make it that much better.
Cheers

03-22-2011 21:18:47 | More by Cmack15
BEERchitect

Kentucky

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A wonderful cherry beer with the background of must, funk, sour, and dryness.

Supplication begins with a deep redish-brown color, boardering on rust with it's medium haze. An off white head forms above the beer and soon settles to an intermitten blanket of foam with solid lacing. A fine looking beer indeed.

Very tart, musty, horsey, and sharply of lime and vinegar-like to the nose. Bold cherry aromas take center stage and in tart and under-ripe versions. Amber malts begin to temper the acidic notes with light breads and toast. Slight phenolics give a bit of medecine notes to go along with peppery scent. As with most Belgian Lambics, the aroma promises serious complexity, strength, and depth... let's see.

Crazy intense flavors of tart cherries hold center stage and push the yeast and malt character way down. Cherry notes are complimented by lemons, limes, apples, cranberries, and crab-apples. Funky vinous notes of cider, red-wine or balsamic vingar, musty-dusty earthiness, and aged woods give a lot of flavor and help to intensify the character of the cherry fruits. A salty, minerally flavor also amplifies the sharp flavors quite a bit. Softer malts pad the impact of the yeast and fruit agains the tongue with just enough bread crust and toffee sweetness to remind me that this is indeed a beer.

Acrid, astringent, and mouth puckering up front but the beer holds enough maltiness to give it a bit of cushion on the back side that allows for dryness but not an insatiable astringency. This gives a great clean lactic quality that erases the enamel from the teeth but keeps from the burn in the throat.

This is a delicious beer. With that extra mild malty finish the beer has a more inviting flavor and mouthfeel than say another great sour in Drie Fonteinen fruit sours.

Thanks waltonc, bbehr!

03-01-2010 03:29:22 | More by BEERchitect
Drinkerofales

Batch 008

Pours a slightly murky brown with hints of gold with a quickly dissipated head.

Smells at first of tart cherries meets wine, then some thing different and funky, those must be the bacterias.

Taste is all pucker, sour fruit candy, slightly winey and a lemony tart finish, with a hint of musk(which I really like).

Feels light and bubbly, kind of champagny, kind of lambic, kind of winey.

What is this? I admit this is my first sour, and I enjoyed it. Though confusing to me as a beer, it fits the style described by the site. Huge wine characteristics make the flavors complex and tangy. Bizarre, to say the least, it's like a hybrid of several different things, perhaps not my style, but I can see how this style is love it or hate it. Funny thing is, I'm kind of in the middle.

DOA

01-05-2012 08:52:40 | More by Drinkerofales
pburland23

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Caged and corked 375 ml bottle. Poured into my Great Divide Brussels glass.

Beer pours a bright reddish orange with an almost non-existent layer of white head.

Aroma is tart and funky. The sour cherries shine through and there is also a prominent funky, lambic-esque smell as well. Although, as others have noted the smell is cleaner than your standard lambic.

Taste is insanely complex. The sour cherries immediately provide tartness and some lip puckering deliciousness. There is then some grassy, barnyardy-ness and then some subtle oak notes. A wine-like dryness finishes the sip. There's such complexity in the taste of this beer. It's outstanding.

The mouthfeel is dry and wine-like. Light carbonation. Very drinkable even when you take the tartness into account.

Overall, Supplication is a very interesting, complex and delicious beer. Definitely glad I was able to get hands on a bottle.

05-14-2011 16:37:39 | More by pburland23
Domingo

Colorado

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Had this as a send-off to 2010 and had only had small GABF samples prior.
Pours a brownish red that's surprisingly pretty clear throughout. Head is heavy initially, but fades into a sheen that laces as well as you could hope.
The primary flavor profiles overlap and ebb/flow between citrus, sour cherries, lemon rind, dry red wine, and spicy notes from the yeast. Occasionally I'd pick up malt notes that remind me of the balsamic-like Belgian browns, too. There's so much going on, but it never seems like any one flavor dominates and everything seems to work in harmony.
I split one of the newer 375's of this and truly wish I had more. Even at a pretty steep price, this stuff is worth every penny.
Definitely something I plan on seeking out in the future, I'm going to keep my eyes peeled for this on tap, too.

01-01-2011 16:33:32 | More by Domingo
TheEremite

Batch 003 at the RR taproom

A: Cloudy, murky red/brown with a small white ring of bubbles.

S: Acidic, sour and fruity. Some cherry aroma on there, and a healthy portion of "biotics"

T: Sharp sour kick with some real sweet, cherry fruit and malt in the background. It's probably the least sour of the RR barrel aged beers, but it's still got a kick.

M: lively and silky and dry.

D: Very drinkable for the style. I could have a few before needing something sweet or some food.

04-14-2008 21:17:16 | More by TheEremite
TheJollyHop

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A loud pop upon uncorking.

Dry, musty horse blanket aroma; pungent with trace vinegar, faint cherries, and leather.

Amber brown, slightly hazy body with a small off-white finger of effervescent head; steady streams of CO2. Frothy and sticky lace.

Vinnie at Russian River has done it again. A complex brew with great interplay between malt and sour funk components. A sour punch upfront gives way to herbal, earthy, straw-like flavors that all are balanced out by each other. Some white pepper and tart cherries are noticeable early on. Some oak flavored woodiness in the middle. Bitterness hits at its full power right before the finish with a burst. The brew stimulates the sides of the tongue, which remain stimulated well into vinegar-like, sightly acidic dry finish. Exhibits an oily tongue coating nature as well.

Medium to highly carbonated with a light body, which accentuates the refreshing character of this beer. Overall an extremely well crafted sour; top notch!

06-11-2010 02:14:12 | More by TheJollyHop
grandq

Reviewing from notes a week or so ago. Batch 003

A - Tangerine-to-caramel with an off-white head

S - apple, pear, yeast, pepper

T - Tart like sour apple, tangerine tind (a bit sharper than orange, so I'm guessing here), lots of dried apricot especially at higher temps, very sour cherries, slight funky note that morphs into a meaty taste - like proscioutto and melon. Quite a bit going on

M - thin and bubbly with a "10% juice" backbone (i guess that means slight syrup underneath)

D - quite high - almost puckeringly sour at first, but refreshing. High temps it becomes a bit too much like juice

Thanks to BBothen for the chance to try this

08-02-2008 21:53:26 | More by grandq
OPWN3NTSL4Y3R

Poured from a 375ml corked & caged bottle into a Chimay chalice

A- Hazy mahogany/orange color, pale 2 finger head with nice lacing and some floaty sediment

S- Tart funky barnyard, wet hay, oak, dried cherries, vanilla, some Pinot Noir notes

T- Bready malt with solid tartness, pleasantly sour with a balance of oak and cherry, Brett

M- Creamy, woody bite, tart/dry finish, nice bottle conditioned carbonation

O- Intriguing, clean yet complex, sour flavors and dry finish beckon you to keep sipping

07-08-2011 23:47:55 | More by OPWN3NTSL4Y3R
ADZA

Australia

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This brew pours a light burnt amber hue with beautiful carbonation that leaves behind a frothy two finger head with nice sporadic lacing,the smell is a combination of sour,sour cherries,red grapes,sour funk and oak,it has a medium bodied mouthfeel which is nicely carbonated and has flavours of sour red grapes first up followed by red berries,plums and finishes off with a dry sour cherry,wood,oak sour red apple bitterness which is quite dry and mouthpuckering and for me i could drink it all night if only i had more than the one bottle and overall the only thing ive got to say is that Russian River's brews should be available to our shores all the time its such a shame that this fine brewery cannot do what Rogue does and let us sample these exciting fine brews constantly other than that i really like this brew and could not knock it cheers.

11-30-2010 12:59:41 | More by ADZA
SacoDeToro

look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

The beer pours a nice copper hue with a short foamy white head. I served this one up in a tulip glass to help capture the aromas. The smell was that of a tart lambic with note of toasted oak. The yeast in the aroma was somewhat remeniscent of Orval. The flavor was full of tart cherries, oak, and chardonnay. The malt fills out the flavor and provides a medium mouthfeel. Considering this beer is 7% ABV, it's amazingly smooth - very drinkable. The carbonation is tight and compliments this beer's punch. Highly recommended if you can score a bottle. I recently went to Russian River Brewing and sampled 6 different Belgian beers on tap. All were excellent, but Supplication was notably different and much more complex than those on tap.

01-06-2006 19:05:08 | More by SacoDeToro
alpineclimber

Alberta (Canada)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Batch number 006X2, cork and caged 375ml bottle that popped loudly and then gushed all over the kitchen, off to a good start with this one....

A good looking ruby brew with a huge white foamy head that recedes to leave a ring of bubbles and good lacing.

Nose is of sour and tart cherry, oak cask, a good amount of funk and a slight sweetness.

Taste is fairly complex, the cherry takes front and center with layers of funk, the wine barrel comes through nicely, a slight sweetness and a slight tanic taste in the finish. Mouthfeel is thin with a decent amount of carbonation.

Supplication is a good wild ale, not overly sour or sweet but very approachable.

01-31-2012 03:29:58 | More by alpineclimber
pwoody11

Delaware

4.45/5  rDev -2.6%

Batch 04x4 served in snifter.

Pours a nice dark amber. Very carbonated. Pour left a 3 finger head that was off white with a hint of orange color to it. Lacing is incredible and head lasted until the last drop

The aroma is kind of funky. Almost musty. Not really picking up on any cherry notes specifically but am getting some fruit notes, more along the lines of red wine.

WOW! Love it. Taste immediately reminds me of red wine. Tart and sweet. Slight hint of heat towards the end. Still not picking up much cherry.

Mouthfeel is dry and carbonated. Pleasant.

To sum this beer up, it's like beer, wine, and champagne all in one. I have to believe it is truly one of a kind. I hope I am able to get my hands on this again sometime soon.

03-09-2010 22:04:42 | More by pwoody11