Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 2,496
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,514 | Reviews: 1,381
4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

I have had this on tap and in bottle several times and it is always incredible, not to jump on the hypewagon but someone has to counterblaance the chocolate rain hype train

Russian River Supplication - American Wild Ale - 7% abv

A: Thick three finger head wit a red character to it, light amber with plenty of carbonation, sediment bouncing lazily throughout the glass

S: tart sour notes of bitter cherry and merlot. there's a funk to it, a bit of wet dog, but a sweet wet dog, in taste not disposition

T: Sweet introductory flavor with a strong wave of bitter tartness that is resonant of a sour patch kid, but refined with an aged pinot noir, the taste moves swift with incredible balance, the hops are so minor that they serve more as an escort to serparate the flavors than to impart authority, again the main perk is the incredible balance of sour with the underlying sweet

M: The mouthfeel is just malty enough to carry the sediment and sweet dryness of the beer, any more and it would become a decadent fruit overload, any less and it would travel to a forgettable cider, the perfect balances makes this beer fantastic without overstaying its welcome. The taste imparts a swift jab of sour notes and then quickly resides, like a berry sniper.

D: Some people may feel that the sweet notes are not high enough and the sour creates a poor man's wine experience, I couldn't disagree more. This is incredibly drinkable, not in the power hour sense, in a strictly delightful sense, the type that makes you wish for a couple bombers of, or a huge wallet to acquire these gems. This would find itself equally at home on a boat in the sun, or after a ski trip in the lodge. Incredibly drinkable.

Narrative: The clicking roll and an L2 against an L3 vertebrae makes a percussive click clack with a certain panache that only Briscoe Wellingstone, berryspy extraordinaire can evoke. Some errant sour juice dribbles from the guard's mouth, but Kiwis weren't fit to guard a hostile embassy. He was hired as a young tart currant, trained in the most hostile vineyards, and was raised a pedigree in solitude for 15 months. Only this sour aging could create an agent of such brackish authority, such swiftly petulany candor, bitterly imparting a smooth sourness to the political fruit world. He rounds the foyer of the Tropicanaria, resolute to steal the famed cherry pit of Largesse. A hardened fruit son of a bitch, but with a slippery smoothe discountenance, lovable, yet stern in his demeanor. Mr. Wellingstone peppers the security cameras during an arching slide across the marble flooring. The pit was obtained, a sour finish left in the museum curator's mouth.

4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

Received in a recent trade with colonelforbin. I've been waiting to try one of these and am damn excited to crack it open! Have a few more coming soon! Split with friends during our Wednesday gathering. Poured into my Portsmouth snifter.

Looks a murky, hazy orange-brown with a fizzy, sand-colored head made of loosely packed bubbles: Champagne-esque. This is one cloudy beer...of course, I ignored the label and dumped all of that goodness into the glass! Thick spotted lacing was left behind - I drank this one pretty quickly and there was quite a bit lacing around at the end!

I absolutely love that funky smell that comes from the brettanomyces and the lactobacillus. Nobody does it better than Vinnie. There is definitely a smell coming from the cherries - a bit of fruity sweetness. I'm not generally very good at discerning the wood smell in beers, but this one is obvious. Smells great!

Ah, just as I had hoped! A tiny prologue of sweetness before that tart blast! The cherries are a bit more subdued than I anticipated, but I appreciate that...I'm not a fan of sweet beers so this one makes the cut. While the cherries are a bit more subtle, the wood is definitely not - it is obviously in there. And the light wine qualities are certainly around as well. Light, puckering, tart, and full of good. And it all lingers. The fizzy carbonation does not detract...pretty much expected with the style.

Overall, I must admit that I was extremely impressed with this beer. I absolutely love Russian River's Temptation, and Supplication is right there with it. I really need to compare side by side. It's a damn shame the price tag is what it is...oh yeah, and that it isn't available in Indiana. Outstanding!

Consumed: 3/31/2010

4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

A: Pours a slightly hazy ruby orange color with a nice tan cap of foam.

S: Nice and tart on the nose with some cherries, wood, a hint of bubblegum, a little marzipan and a bit of funk.

T: I had this a while back on tap and was blown away. Now that I've gotten to try some more of RRs sours, I'm even more blown away because, somehow, this is better than any of the others I've had (and I really like the others).

T: Huge sourness with some sweet malts in the background. The finish is dry with a hint of nuttiness. The sourness is a combination of apple cider vinegar and sour cherries for me and is incredible. This is such an amazing beer.

4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

Pours a beautiful red orange with no head but some lacing is left. Aroma is of cider, vinegar and cherries. Taste follows the nose, tart in the best way possible. Leaves cherries in the finish. Mouthfeel is very carbonated and dry but not too dry. This is an excellent wild ale!

Batch 6

a-deep mahogany reddish color. Cork pops with ease, lots of carbonation and lively bubbles meet the glass. Head never gives way, stays about a 1/4" thick. Does not lace much down the glass. Carbonation is not too much, goes well with the beer.

s-cherries, sour, brett, funk, wine barrel, oak. Tons of nose in this beer. Opens up when it warms. The cherries are huge in the beginning, but as it warms, the brett and other bacteria come forward.

t-I tasted this beer when it was cold, then let it sit and warm. Huge difference in how the flavors open up. A lot of sour cherries are supported by brett and wood. The beer has a lot of depth of flavor. At first the beer is really tight, but gets more open as time goes on.

m-right on the money. Has a lot of good feel, lingers on for a while.

o-I bought another one to cellar, and I am damn excited. This beer should do quite well with some time. This is a great example of a wild ale.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured a rich, semi-cloudy orange-brown, with two and a half fingers of fluffy white head that receded very slowly. No lacing. A very nice looking sour. Scents of sour brett yeast, oak, sour cherries, tart wild yeast funk, hints of lemon juice and a bit of overripe stone fruit in the background. A very nice aroma, rich, funky, wild and complex with a nice fruity character present as well. Flavor begins very sour, with notes of sour cherry and hints of cranberry and red wine. This moves into further sour flavors of cranberry, raspberry and cherry with notes of oak and red wine-like tannins. Finish continues to be quite tart and dry, with more abundant oak flavors, sour cranberry, raspberry and cherry and some sour, tannin-like astringency. Aftertaste is sour and dry with notes of cranberry, sour cherry and raspberry, alongside some oak. A very well done flavor profile. Dry and puckering, quite sour, but after the manner of sour red fruit and not vinegar or citrus. It has a depth and complexity to it, with fruitiness and oak helping to keep things balanced beneath the sourness. Quite nice. Mouthfeel is light bodied with medium-high carbonation and a puckering, drying feel. Extremely nice, refreshing, yet also encouraging you to sip. The mouthfeel compliments the flavor profile nicely. Overall this is an excellent sour. It has a wonderful wild, sour, slightly fruity aroma, an excellent sour, fruity and complex flavor profile and mouthfeel that aids both the flavor of the beer and the drinking experience. Very well executed and quite a treat. Bottled on April 11th, 2013 and consumed on May 31, 2014.

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%

Draft pour into an elongated chalice, I'm guessing 12 oz @ $7.25. Much more economical than purchasing a bottle. (Although I've done that too @ $17 and have seen as high as $25. The bottle is 375 mL, slightly more than 12 ounces...)

A: Pours with a small white linen colored head that never quite forms. Tight knit bubbles with decent retention, but only in the form of a thin crescent moon shaped collar. Some stick is provided from the collar as I sip, but most of any would-be lacing slides slowly back down. Plenty of bubbles float through the blush colored body. There is a slight haze to the body. 85% transparent.

S & T: The aroma is brett dominated, funkiness with a semi sweet and sour fruit quality. Not exactly identifiable as cherries in my opinion, but definitely sour fruit. Wood flavors of cedar and oak. Vinous, lightly tannic and very acidic. Absolutely incredible.

M: An INdisputable, IRRefutable "5" hands down. The mouthfeel is actually a "6"! The sourness is enhanced by the wildly fine carbonation caused by the brettanomyces and other bugs. Completely tongue and throat coating with a desert dry finish.

D:

[BARTENDER] Oh, FeDUBBELFIST, I see you've finished your Supplication. Would you care for another?

[FeDUBBELFIST, with a look as hard as nails needs to say nothing at all, the bartender realizes he's asked a stupid question and serves him another...on the house]

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%

Batch 007. Poured from a bottle into a Brooklyn tulip. Beautiful clear,dark copper-amber color with a thin head. The nose is extremely active. There are notes of cherries, bubblegum, sour apples, candy, and a definite barnyard funk, all harmoniously blended together.

The flavor is highly acidic and slightly tannic. I get flavors of tart cherries in the front of my mouth, then at mid-palate the beer takes on a stony champagne-like dryness. It has an excellent finish. The acidity dries your mouth and the sour cherry and champagne flavors linger for a long time, making you practically salivate for another taste. The beer has a light to medium body, but is not as highly carbonated as I expected it to be. It is extremely easy to drink.

This is a world class beer. The flavor is aggressively sour, but there's an underlying sweetness and a nice dry finish to complement the tartness. It's one of the most refreshing beers I've ever had and is very reminiscent of Rodenbach Grand Cru (in overall drinking experience if not in flavor). Every beer fan should seek this one out and try it at least once. I can't imagine how difficult this beer must be to make.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

poured 375 mL bottle marked with a 12/17/12 bottling date into a Teku.

A - Dark ruby brown with 1.5 finger off white head. Dissipates into a thick collar that remains for the session as streams of bubbles travel up from the bottom. Little to no lacing.

S - Wicked tart cherries and notes of oak barrel. I get wiffs of Pinot and sour apple. Some faint acidic red vinegar is in there.

T - Big blast of sour cherry right away, sour apples and some vinegar and lemon follow. Smooths out in the middle with some oak, wine and sour grape. Minimal sweetness is present. Finishes with a good sour note.

M - Lighter body with a dry and tart finish that lingers for a bit. Carbonation is very good.

O - Very good sour beer that gets a good bit of flavor from the added cherries and aging in the wine barrels. Definitely deserves its spot in top 10 of the top 250 of BA.

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%

Poured from a bottle I picked up at Monk's Cafe in Philadelphia. Poured into a chalice, showed a beautiful hazy golden with yeast visible, good frothy white head. Smell of bitter fruits, cherry slightly present in the nose, super earthy and yeasty smell. Taste was refreshing and crisp up front, sweet then balanced out by sour fruits and dry finish that left me wanting more after every sip. Fantastically crafted complex brew, one of the best I've ever had.

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%

A delicious beer with just a hint of sourness. The fruit from the Pinot barrels is not overwhelming. Very well balanced. I just wish it wasn't so expensive.

I got a bit too much head and resulted in a little flatter then i think it would have been otherwise. Really a great beer though.

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Though listed as a wild ale, I'll go out on a limb and say that this is what every sour should aim for in terms of profile. It pours a burned red-orange to pink with some lacing. The aroma is out of this world. There are definite hints of cherry and pinot noir as advertised, but I also pick up a hint of eggnog, oddly enough. The taste follows the aroma. There's a definite mouth-puckering cherry tartness that quickly fades to a dry, clean finish. The sourness is very pronounced, and I think it may mask other flavors that are present. Nevertheless, this is one of the best sours I've ever had.

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%

Newer vintage of Supplication served from a 375ml bottle into a tulip.

A: A rich rose/amber color that looks stunning when held up to the light. Small white head that dissipates rather quickly, head leaves a nice lacing on the glass.

S: Smell number one is FUNK, and a lot of it, then the cherry shows up to the party. Then it just is a duet between the two, it’s very enjoyable.

T: First sip makes the mouth pucker from the tartness; this is very dry wild ale also. Then once you get past the tartness and the dryness its all cherry and oak funk that floods the mouth.

M: Ideal for a beer like this, it’s a little dry, but that is just what makes this so enjoyable. Carbonation is on par and the drinkability is amazing.

O: This is one of my favorite Wild Ales on the market, and it’s nice that RR brews this and releases it a few times a year. Always nice to have a fresh back to drink and then a few to age.

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%

One of a number of very special things I had at Russian River recently, and my overall favourite.

Sort-of-murky reddish brown with no head to speak of. Looks like some kind of wood varnish, and smells a little like it too - woody and acidic, with sour cherries, oxidised red wine, apple cider vinegar and band-aids.

The taste is similar to the above description, in the best possible way. Big dark cherries and grapes to the fore, with all the other stuff in the mix. Earthy, drying tannins and a tantalizingly ephemeral hint of sweetness. Complex as hell, and utterly refreshing and invigorating.

Light in feel and briskly carbonated, perfectly balanced and ridiculously complex without ever being a "challenge". I had another few things I desperately wanted to try, not knowing when and if I'll ever be back in Santa Rosa, but I could have had a few more of these, easy. Just dreamy.

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%

While I'm relatively new to sours, I've had some impressive variations lately. At my local brew store, I saw Supplication - and knew it came highly recommended. While I've got some work to do on my glassware game, this was served from a bottle poured into a pint glass.

A- a beautiful burnt orange, like a Colorado sunset - when the sky looks like its on fire. Deep, rich hues that invoke memories of world travel and freedom. Carbonation bubbles constantly float upwards, in a seemingly endless fashion.

S - Wow. Cherries, Sour, smells like winter and spring at the same time. Refreshingly in your face, but the tartness of the ale really comes through your nostrils.

T - A beautifully put-together sour ale. So complex, with flavors galore. Not overpowering, not too tart, very very well done.

M - my mouth is still watering.

O - At $13 for a pint, I'd buy a 6 pack. Highly, Highly recommend.

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%

A big thank you to stfun37 for filling this big want.

Looks a murky brown/gold, like unfiltered apple cider. Head is small, but I made an admittedly gentle pour.

Smells fantastic. Wine, apples, vinegar. Beautiful.

Tastes of apples, sour goodness, other fruits dancing in the background, but very crisp. Incredible stuff.

Mouth is spot on, thin/med with relatively high carbonation.

They say sour is the new IPA. Well if this is the head of the sour class, count me in to the new school. May the beer gods bring Russian River to Western PA.

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%

I was very excited to split this with my dad. He loved Iron Hill's Barrel Aged Permanent Midnight, another sour beer aged in wine barrels. If he loved IH's I reasoned, surely this would knock his socks off. Sadly this wasn't the case. Too sour for his liking, he said. Oh well, on to what really matters, my opinion.

a: This is a dark golden color with some amber highlights. It poured with a small fizzy head.

s: I should just give up trying to describe sour beers, I just can't find the adjectives that seem to fit. I smell sour cherries that seem to have some floral qualities. I also got wine aromas blanketed by prickly mustiness. As woefully inadequate as it is, that is the best I can do.

t: Incredibly tart without quite becoming obnoxious. Dry overall, while managing to have a little underlying sweetness. Just a hint though. Tastes like red wine saturated with sour cherries. Here again, I just don't have the ability to describe what I'm tasting. I just know I love it.

m: The carbonation is on the gentle side. This has a looong tart finish.

d: Well, my dad looks like he is trying out for a Rolling Rock commercial. He just doesn't like it. For me though, I'm glad I was able to purchase and consume a bottle before the PLCB got ahold of it. Russian River continues to astound me.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Batch 003. 375ml pulled from the "cellar" (dark, insulated coat closet) and chilled for 20 minutes in freezer.

Nice pop from the cork. Poured into tulip, producing a beautiful thin, creamy off-white head atop a copper colored, slightly hazy brew. Aroma of ripe cherries and wood punctuated with a good sharp dose of brett funk. Flavor is a well-rounded blend of tart cherries and saturated red wine barrel, with a lingering sweet/tart finish. Has a wonderful mouthfeel thanks to a light-to-medium body--surprisingly heavier than I remember, especially compared to recent, fresher batches I've had--and perfect carbonation with a perpetually replenishing head which leaves an impressive lacing behind.

This is a terrific beer that has aged tremendously. I'd have to say it's my most successful cellaring experience to date.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Poured from 375ml bottle at Euclid hall into white wine glass.

A: High head that recedes fast into just a little over the top of the beer. Low lacing. Pours Copper with brown hues.

S: High sour and acidic aroma with touch of wood and small wild cherries.

T: Deeply complex but balanced. Sour notes are high and very tart, finish is long and delicious and dry.

M: Wonderful carbonation and medium to full bodied. Tart on the back sides of palate, finishes dry.

D: Fantastic sour meant to be sipped just like a fine dry red.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

I have had 2 opportunities to try this beer in the last week (once in a great beach bar, and the other in the comfort of my home), and so this review is a mix of both opportunities. In the bar, it was served at perfect temperature, at home I was too impatient and it was too cold when I served it.

Pours a slightly hazy orange-red with minimal head when cold, but a nice off-white head when poured in a Damnation chalice.

Aroma is full, slightly sour, with a wonderful cherry-dark berry overtones. Wood. Complex.

Flavor takes the aroma and runs with it. Tart cherries. Sharp and overly sour when cold, but balances nicely when closer to cellar temperature. It becomes more mellow, cherries more fruity, edges removed from sourness, wood notes more pleasant. Oh, my this is wonderful.

Mouthfeel is rich, but not in the Tripel/Quadrupel way, but just because it sits in the mouth so happy. Dry but more complex than that. And it is so drinkable I thought there was a hole in the bottom of my glass.

One of the best I've had in a long time.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Definitely one of my favorite sours thats readily available.

A: Pours a reddish-gold color with little head. Heavy carbonation can be found after its poured.

S: Sour cherries - WOW! The smells jumps right at you. Possibly some lemon and other citrus fruits in there as well.

T: A fantastic sour balanced with sour cherries and other fruits. The wild yeast they have in here adds a really nice funk to the mix.

M: A little heavy for my taste, but I still love it. I almost need a small glass of water to go with one of these.

O: I love this beer and I hope to get my hands on some older batches of this.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Served initially at under cellar temp into my wonderful Delirium Tremens glass, but consumed over the course of an hour.

A: Beautiful medium red color with a hint of brown topped off by a 1 finger off-white head that leaves just a bit of lacing.

S: Smell is mostly of tart cherries, but with a certain mellowness. Has some woody notes too. Upon warming, it has an almost musty (in a good way) port wine sort of note. Wonderful.

T: Initial taste is of tart cherries. Subsequently, there is some sweetness in the background - maybe some raspberry and woody flavors. As it warms more, the cherries retreat some to let the sweter malts come through. A raspberry-like sweetness is definitely there (and no, not in an artificial way at all). Oh man. This just keeps getting better! The cherry tartness now just peeks out ever so delicately at the end. I've never tasted such a delicate wild ale involving cherries before! Just a bit of earthy funkiness too. Think delicate raspberries with a dash of vanilla and cocoa, followed by a perfectly balanced cherry tartness. The taste of this beer is practically perfect. I don't award many 5s here, but this beer, this divine nectar, is definitely deserving.

M: Coats all of the mouth ever so well with flavor with a medium body and an almost smooth, rich finish. I say this while also acknowledging a quick, sharp bite at the end from the cherries.

D: One of the most drinkable wild ales of this sort. While I enjoy a Duchesse on occasion, this I consider far more drinkable. For the style, I have to give this a 5 for drinkability.

Highly recommended. Truly masterfully crafted. This is a beer you give to someone who says all beer tastes the same. One taste and they'll beg forgiveness for spouting off such crazy fallacies.

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for half of this bottle

Review adapted from notes taken 12/20/10

Appearance: Hazy amber/copper color with a really nice head - fades to some nice lacing

Smell: Complex - funky, sour, tart, with a hint of cherry - some pale malts in the background - the overall smell is great, and it gets better as it warms

Taste: A thing of beauty - an intense amount of flavor, with so much going on - sour, with different kinds of sour - hints of fruit, hints of somewhat clean barnyard funk, hints of red wine, hints of wood - very tart and sour, but the toasted malts actually add a remarkable level of balance - beyond excellent

Mouthfeel: Medium body, sticks to my lips with funky, sour, delicious tartness - magnificent

Overall: Perhaps the best "ation" from Russian River

This beer is truly excellent, and I think I enjoyed it slightly more than Consecration and Temptation. It was that good. I remember getting this at a BA fest (before I even was interested in sours) and I liked it even then. Someday, I will acquire more bottles!

Update: 6/23/12

Another half a bottle courtesy of Goblinmunkey7. Score unchanged. This is legendary. I want to write love letters to this beer.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Appearance - Reddish honey copper hue with a nice white head on it. The lacing is really nice as the head recedes.

Smell - Strong scents of green apple, cherries, and an overall sour fruit aroma. You can pick up on a slight oak note as well.

Taste - Amazing sourness. Reminds me of a Warhead candy. Lots of intense sour cherries, green apple, lemon, and the end has a nice earthy balance that makes your mouth water.

Mouthfeel - Very good carbonation. It has the "pickle-effect" that makes your mouth continue to water long after you've had a drink.

Drinkability - It's very smooth considering the sourness. The acidity and carbonation help balance it out and make it a smooth drink amid the sour fruit flavors.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 5

On tap at Toronado in the Haight; served in sipping stemware.

Supplication has a *very* light mouthfeel for the depth, with incredibly crisp, delightful, complex, softly thick sourness imparted by its mix of adjuncts and agents. A clear, mahogany-gold color, with reddish-brown strains clearly reflecting the pinot barrel-aging; a sour, cherry-inflected, very refreshing aroma; a pleasantly sticky, slightly sweets-laden mouthfeel all coordinate to create a really intricate, delicious, chimerical quaff.

Unsurprisingly, a really well-executed effort by Russian River, and just the sort of sour even those who aren't sour fans would love. Meanwhile, as an inveterate sour fan, I would've loved to consume a lot more than the (approximately) six-ounce servings poured at Toronado's bar.

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company