Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 2,294
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
4.41/5  rDev -3.3%

Tulip

A - cloudy orange/copper sunset, one finger off white beautiful head with tiny bubbles that look like diamonds and a little bit of lacing

S - cherries, a young bottle of red, sweet candy sugar, lots of yummy oak, very yeasty, maltiness, soil and an all around awesome funk

T - sour funky yeast, tight Pinot noir, lots of oak, tons of grain, sweet notes on the back end, tons of cherries, candy sugar, lemon grass and tons of minerals and terrior

M - full bodied, medium acidity, great balance, nice complexity and long finish

D - this is as refreshing as it is interesting. This is something different, but in the most awesome way possible. They aren't kidding when they say "sours" when it comes to this one. But with the wine, cherries and a great sweet back end it is a beer once you have you'll crave again and again

Final thought - at $12 a pop and a nice 7% abv this is a great beer. Hard to find at times, but if you do find one, buy one and age it as well

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Small bottle, caged and corked, Batch 04x2. Pours cloudy brown ale like, under a moderate medium tan head, that leaves a thicker collar and nicely splattered fine pieces of lacing. Zesty nose, infused with horse blanket, sour cherry, and a faint whiff of gym socks. My reaction tot he first hearty swig was simply "wow", full flavor, sour cherries stinging the taste buds, bretted up, funkathon, love this stuff and so will other sour lovers. worth seeking out and then savoring every time
Thank you Matt at Capone's for hooking me up with this and a few more treats from RR on a recent Philly visit.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Thanks for brandoman63 for the opportunity!

I'll keep this brief since many have already covered what I want to say. This is an exceptional sour beer. The oaken cherry funkiness was just plain outstanding. This was from batch 003.

This was, of course, very sour... cherries, lemon, yeasty. It finished very smooth after the initial pucker when you have your first sip.

I had this after an hour walk on an 85 degree day, but I still found this beer amazingly drinkable. In fact, I had several gulps.

Do what you can to try some Russian River sours. Supplication is the epitome of what an American wild ale/sour beer should be.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

A cloudy yellow appearance with a small head that quickly dissipates.
Wild yeast is very apparent with a sour, funky smell.
This beer was sampled with a friend and pointed out that this beer tastes like a warhead hard candy. Some orange is also present in the mix as well as a hint of wood. The cherries are hard to find.
Good carbonation and a full body hold this beer together.
A fantastic American Wild Ale. What a great beer, I will have this beer any time it is available.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Healthy finger and a half of head, creamy. Goldenrod body, clear tinged with red. Light lacing.

Serious funk and tang on the nose and a good cherry presence. Smells really great.

Pretty darn great, dry and sour and really well balanced. Cherry is subtle and works well.

Feel is a bit bright but not really. Decent.

Quite nice. Cherry is subtle, and really sophisticated.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

On tap at the brewpub today in an unbranded version of their -tion glass. Served too cold for my tastes so I had several glasses of water while it warmed.

Pale, slightly hazy, almost rust colored beer. Head is off white and quickly recedes to an a small ring but to be fair this is a Wild Ale on draft so in my experience a large persistent head is not to be expected.

Both sour and sweet cherries are quite clear on the aroma, more so than I remember from my previous few experiences with this beer. Other notes include yeast and fresh bread. Not as sour/acidic as I remember but this is likely much fresher than the last time I tried it.

The acidity I was missing on the aroma is there on the flavor, especially on the entry and mid sip but still finishes somewhat fruity. Has a delayed aftertaste which is sour without being obviously "buggy". There's a slight red wine vinegar accent but nowhere near as intense as that characteristic can be in some AWA's and lambics. The more I drink the more the different flavors amalgamate and the more I seem to enjoy it.

Carbonation is probably on the high side as has been my experience with most of Vinnie's wilds. The balance of the various flavors keeps drinkability very high. I'm actually enjoying this much more than I expected. Too bad I couldn't convince them to sell me a growler. Can't wait for the bottles to come out next month.

375ml bottle, batch 7.

Kind of a cherry-brown color. Small head gone quickly, without lacing. Somewhat bubbly.

Smells of oak, grapes, green apple, brett and assorted funk. Clean and sour.

Flavor is sharply tart, with a decent vinegar-like, cheesy sourness and loaded with oak and tart fruit flavors--black cherries, grapes and green apple. I can definitely taste red wine in this, and it makes it distinctly different from a lot of other sours. Very complex, but not at all overwhelming.

Mouthfeel is clean, decently carbonated and light.

This is a great-tasting and complex beer--a good twist on the usual Belgian sour. I will certainly have this again when I can get it. I'd like to try on older batch, or age one for a while.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Pours a clear red color with white head. Lots of carbonation bubbling from the bottom at first but eventually it stops. Smells of typical wild critters along with some indistinguishable fruit notes. Taste is very sour and sweet at the same time. The flavor sits on the tongue for a bit and livens up the mouth. Has some wine-like qualities to it, but not really like a pinot. The mouthfeel is intense as it constantly has that tingling going on. Drinkability is good for a sour. I wouldn't drink these all day long, but very nice. My favorite RR sour of those I've tried (temptation, consecration).

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Want to thank RedwoodGeorge for this bottle he sent me because he said I sent him too many beers in our P to the Y trade, but thats not possible, George is a hell of a guy. Anyway...

Pours a hazy deep amber color with some red hints smaller kaki head that falls to a ring pretty fast hints of lace is it.

Aroma is musty funky wet horses brett mixed with tart fruit cherries, peaches some light vinager dry wood aromas hints of vanilla. As is warms cherries come out more also a yogurt aroma noted.

Taste is well very nice tart cherries moving right into the funky flavors puckering your mouth vinager and red wine like qualities appear and fade to dry wood flavors and hints of vanilla and a lingering tartness. So far this is the only wild ale that reminds me of a Flanders Red must be the cherries. Overall a nice beer Vinnie has here.

Mouthfeel is little lighter then medium nice dry adds to the tartness.

Drinkability is good only thing hurting this one is price I think about 10 at the Vintage Cellar when they have it. Thanks to George I now have one in my cellar :)

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Every time I got to San Francisco, which is once a year, I get as many Russian River beers as I can find. I love sour ales and russian river makes some of the best out there.

The color is a medium colored amber with a typical fizzy head. Aroma is fantastic, citrus, malt, almost fruity. Flavor is also very good, quite sour with a citrus flavor, some sense of the brown ale as well. Overall one of the best sour ales out there.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

This was brought to the last Madison, BA tasting. Actually two bottles were brought, so we were a bit spoiled.

a - light red color. white head

s - sour cherry

t - wow, a lot more sour than the nose lead on. good amount of fruity flavor. vinegar raspberry/cherry.

m - medium body. good carbonation.

overall - very tasty beer. This was my first RR sour, and I think I'm going to seek out some more soon.

Batch 4
Poured into a Snifter

A: Pours a reddish brown with a small head on top. Supplication looks like a glass of apple cider with a light topping of foam. The head dissipates very quickly.

S: The Brett, Lacto, and Pedio blend together to give this a good musty, funk on the nose.

T: The Brett and Lacto create a musty barnyard flavor on the front, while the sour cherries add to the tartness of the finish. I am picking up slight notes of pinot noir on the finish as well.

M: Very carbonated as the bubbles tingle the tongue.

D: This is a sipper as the funk is strong but not overpowering on the taste. ABV is not too high at 7%, but the flavor will keep you drinking this beer slowly. Complex, sour, and very enjoyable.

Batch 005X2 into a Jackie O's tulip

A: Pours a very dark orange, nearly ruby in color. I got a massive fluffy off-white head pouring this one. Very lively carbonation, I can already tell its zesty. Its lacing nicely.

S: Huge oak tannins, some acidity, and cherry stand out at first. Lots of bacteria and brett make this as funky as it is sour smelling. A bit sweet and lactic. Pinot still comes out really nice in the aroma. This is all coming back to me, it smells incredible.

T: Cherry is really starting to dominate at this age, the funk is coming through a lot as well. Sourness seems to be calming down a lot. Tartness and acidity are felt after the cherry subsides followed by a very dry finish from the brett and champagne yeast. All of the oaky flavors and the bug linger around on your palate.

M: Thinnish medium effervescent mouthfeel. This is very crisp with a dry finish.

O: This is what American wild is all about. Nice tartness, tons of depth, fruit, bugs, its all here. I might not claim this to be my favorite beer anymore but its still got a top 5 spot. An awesome beer.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Recently received this in a trade with pwoody11 (thanks again), and since it was the newest batch and I have some older stuff in the basement I figured it'd be worth drinking soon and adding the dregs to my oude bruin in secondary. Cracked this one open after a hearty dinner of rich beef stew. Really cut through all the rich robust flavors, though I'm glad I waited to drink it as an after dinner drink.

A: Nice auburn with your typical barrel-aged sour head, a quick pop that fades right away.

S: The bugs are present, but I'm still getting a lot of yeast character. Its certainly got an acetic punch too it, but not much of the funk I sometimes get from this beer. Sour cherries are very pronounced. There's a nice rich brown sugar sweetness in the background as well as a bit of oak character to be found. Pinot noir is kind of hard to miss.

T: A bit more funky than the nose first made me think. Lots of sour tart puckering (three adjectives, you are warned) cherry flavor. There's a strong spice not that I'm guessing is from the Pinot Noir barrels. For being sour there's enough residual brown sugar & molasses sweetness to overcome any notions of straight vinegar.

M: Lively carbonation carries this light to medium bodied beer. That said, as it warms a lot of body is lost. Due to the tartness and slight tannic nature finish is very dry. Alcohol becomes more present as it warms as well.

O: Reading over my review I keep thinking it sounds like I didn't really enjoy this one. I did, I always do. It was different than other bottles I've had, which is of course to be expected. Its not a perfectly balanced beer, but its an extremely enjoyable one that fully deserves the praise it gets. It really was a nice contrast to dinner, and I'm hoping it'll do some great things to my conditioning beer.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Review 600! 375 ml bottle into tulip, batch 006X2. Pours hazy red orange color with a nice 1 finger light khaki head with great retention that reduces to a thin cap that lingers. Some spotty lacing on the glass, with a good amount of carbonation streaming up. Aromas of huge tart cherries, green apple, grapes, pear, light vinegar, oak, red wine, hay, light spices, and a lot of funk. Fantastic aromas with great balance and complexity, Taste of big tart cherries, apple, grape, pear, red wine, citrus, oak, vinegar, spiciness, earthiness, hay, and funk. Lingering notes of tart fruit, oak, wine, and spices on the finish for a bit. Fantastic balance of sourness and sweetness makes this very smooth on the palate. Medium-high carbonation and medium bodied; with a slightly creamy and acidic mouthfeel. Slightly prickly carbonation, but still very smooth drinking. Alcohol is well hidden with only a slight warming after the finish present. Overall this is an outstanding wild ale; with great balance, complexity, and smoothness.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

enjoyed this at a barrel aged tasting on 2011-08-06 alongside a sanctification, temptation and consecration.

dark mahogany, almost brown/red. like the others, the head is thin and bubbly. smell is pretty fruity...cherry, almost brown sugar. taste is nutmeg, brown sugar, cherries...definitely strong cherries, very tasty! smooth easy drinker, not too heavy at all. overall i dug it in the side-by-side.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Had on tap @ Hollingshead.

A - a nice brassy orange color filled my tulip with a half finger of white head. Very bubbly inside with many small bubbles happily bubbling away.
S - tart apples and floral notes hit my nose with some spice. Tickeled a little bit.
T - A solid but not overpowering tartness glazes your tongue like an aged apple cider. Borders on green apple peels and sour cherries but ends with a sweetness and some spice. Great combination and complex.
M&Dr - Effervescent on a medium bodied brew ending on the somewhat dry side. Very tasty and drinkable.
I took 3 bottles home and have had 8 tulips of this beer before the keg was killed.

Batch 005x2 poured in my NB Goblet

A- Amber and slightly hazy, 1/2 inch head that dissaptes quickly, very little lacing and no retention.

S- My fav smell and style as I always say. Caramel, tart cherries, funk, brett, oak and a fruity spiciness.

T- same as nose. Oak, tart cherries, brett, funk & deliciousness.

M- Very good tartness and acidity.

Overall- Great beer, always love it!

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Ruby color with a small head. Smells strongly of tart cherries and sour grapes and tastes the same. Not an offensive flavor, very tasty. Overall, taste is dominated by a pleasant tart cherry flavor. Of all the sour beers I have had (which is only about 5) this is far and away the best. I would eagerly have a full pint of this which is more than I can say with most sours.

Batch 003
A: Brown body with reddish hints. small off white head, little lacing.

S: Sour cherries, oak, apple cider, slightly wine-like in feel.

T: This is the epitome of wine smoothness and beer complexity. Sour and tart fruits up front, with a hint of bitterness. Lots of cherry flavors. Some wine like acidity from the barrel aging. Delicious.

M: Smooth. Flavors seamlessly transition on the tongue. The tart and sourness is not overwhelming, but distinctive enough to make this beer special.

D: I had no problem putting this bottle down... and would have another if it wasn't so pricey.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Served on-tap at Jose Pistola`s.

Appearance is a red brown body with a small tan head. Its` nose contains cherry, red wine and a general sourness. Supplication has a taste of of more cherries, sour apple, funk and some oak. The mouthfeel of it has some life to it, a very nice crispness. It really has a certain wine/champagne quality to it. This was another very good wild from RR. When I find myself in Philly, its` always a treat to try something from this brewery.

Batch 005x5

Pours a deep orange and light brown color with a fluffy white head that has moderate retention and great lacing

Aroma is tart, sour and funky with a nice white grape touch.

Taste starts out sour and funky with lots of citric notes. Sour cherries and grapes appear in the middle. Finishes very sour and astringent.

Mouthfeel is very dry and tannic with high carbonation and medium to low body. Aftertaste is funky and lasting leaving the mouth watering.

Great sour experience from RR. Very balanced and yet "in your face" at the same time.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Opens with a big "pop." Vermillion-brown with a nice layer of foamy suds adorning the top of the beer. An exceedingly woody nose full of dry rot and tiny hints of cedar. Always wary of American beers that advertise their funkiness, I was prepared to be let down by a lack of brett and/or bacteria, but the nose was both moderately tart and funky and hinted at a very pleasant sour cherry flavor that might be coming my way.

While the cherry flavor never fully emerged, I was certainly treated to a subtly sour beverage that was impressively well balanced and dry. If one could register a complaint, it's that a leisurely approach to drinking this allows it warm to the point where a slightly boozy red wine burn develops that distracts from the interesting funk and wood flavors present in the beer. Nonetheless, quite an accomplishment.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Had this on tap at Toronado during SF Beer week.
Supplication by RR is a brown Ale aged in French oak Pinot Noir barrels with three strains of Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, Pediococcus and sour cherries. 7% abv.

The Supplication 07 is a two year old aged version. It poured beautiful teak color. It smelled of fresh sour cherries, oak and Brett. It tasted sour on the sides and back of my tongue with some oak dryness. There is cherry fruit upfront but it is sour but not super pucker sour.

The Supplication 09 looked pretty much the same except a shade lighter. It's nose was not as pungent at all compared to the 07. The taste is more fresh bing cherries, more oak and less sour pucker. I got some pucker on the roof of my mouth, but it has much more fruit compared to the 07. If you are new to sours, this one would be a good one to try. It's not as full bodied as the 07 but it tastes more fruity and oak. Dave liked the 09 better, however I appreciated the more sourness you got out of the 07.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Special thanks to Chowdahead for sharing this one. Cellared for a year, then poured into a snifter. Reddish brown in color, not much head or lacing. Nose is tart cherries, apple, and some sweet sugary notes. Taste is mix of tart cherry and sour apple with a little brown sugar in the mix. Never thought I would become a fan of sours, but the Allagash releases got me hooked, and this one takes the cake as my favorite thus far. Mouthfeel was smooth and not overly sour. Looking forward to trying some more sours from Russian River. Top notch.

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company