Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 2,406
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 5,317 | Reviews: 1,355

look: 4 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Served on tap at O'brien's TION night in a 13oz Chimay. Have had it in bottle (batch 003) on several occasions previously. Bottle matches tap pretty close.

Color was a dull gold with a light white head. Smells of tart fruits, cherry, apple, sourness. A very drinkable sour, less biting than a flanders or some of RR's other sours, medium bodied, and less fruits in the taste than I expected. Good stuff.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Got this courtesy of a trade with Cheezdawg, much thanks.

Poured from a bottle into a tulip. It pours a nice copper/brown. A 1/2 inch off-white head forms, leaving a nice full coverage lacing. Carbonation is visible and there is some sediment.

The aroma is very good with some dark fruit with cherry sweet blended with a strong acidity and some oaky components.

The taste is definitely sour, as expected. The cherry and oak components sneak through with a little time on the tongue. There is an additional fruity component.

The mouthfeel is light bodied with a champagne-like carbonation. A definite sour pucker and dryness lingers with some burn in the back of my throat. Complex and unique.

Overall, I can drink this beer and enjoy every ounce of it, however, I don't think I could have more than one, as I don't know how much mouth I would have left.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Thanks go out to JVD for this long time want.
Batch #003 bottle poured into a snifter produced a finger worth white head that went to a good layer of lace. The body of the brew was interesting reddish brown/ amber, if that's a color

Aromas of sour cherries are really evident. Nice wood aromas as well as wonderfully funky yeast. It reminded me a lot of a Rodenbach

Flavors of a dry white wine and sour cherries this stuff is great. Light, crisp and dry in the mouth

Drinkability on a sour is a strange question; yes its drinkable but how much sours can one take. I'm glad I decided to crack this one open tonight I have been really missing the sours and it was easy to finish this bottle of myself

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

balosss and I shared a bottle of this, received in a trade. 7.0%, aged in pinor noir wine barrels 12-15 months, according to the label. The label provides a wealth of information.

Appearance: peachy reddish color. light foam and lace, tiny bubbles.

Aroma: sour patch kids and Funk. On the pungent side, a good thing.

Taste: like a frickin sweet tart [the candy]. sour and tart. thirst quenching.

Mouthfeel: Light, spritzy and puckery as hell. It will suck all the moisture out of your mouth.

Drinkability: Just one glass for me but this beer could possibly appeal to people who think they don't like beer, or any alcohol [sour candy freaks]. Nice job Russian River.

Reviewing from notes a week or so ago. Batch 003

A - Tangerine-to-caramel with an off-white head

S - apple, pear, yeast, pepper

T - Tart like sour apple, tangerine tind (a bit sharper than orange, so I'm guessing here), lots of dried apricot especially at higher temps, very sour cherries, slight funky note that morphs into a meaty taste - like proscioutto and melon. Quite a bit going on

M - thin and bubbly with a "10% juice" backbone (i guess that means slight syrup underneath)

D - quite high - almost puckeringly sour at first, but refreshing. High temps it becomes a bit too much like juice

Thanks to BBothen for the chance to try this

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

After getting married and moving, I have found my notepad once again. From my wedding/honeymoon in Sonoma, I was lucky to spend and afternoon at Russian River.

A: A brownish tan color, almost caramel looking with some orange hues. Provides a small white foam head.

S: A wonderful cherry tart smell with a hint of oak. The tart cherry scent is the most present and it smells very inviting.

T: One thing I learned in wine country is to sip once, then sip twice and let it linger on the palate. First sip, I was not sure what to make of it, but as I tasted my 2nd and 3rd sips, I began to really enjoy this. A truly great cherry tart is present throughout. Through the middle and backend, the slight citrus and oak flavors come through. I kept drinking and drinking this enjoying it thoroughly.

M: Leaves a slight tart flavor on the palate. Very pleasing and not too over powering. The mouth finishes very dry.

D: I really liked this beer a lot. At first sip I was unsure of it, but as I drank more and more, I came to appreciate this gem!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Beautiful golden copper with a tight 1 finger head that dissapated rather quickly. Held up to a light some red tones are in there as well.

S - I am getting cherries, vanilla, oak, some yeast funk, and I am getting alot of grape. If I was blindfolded, I'd of guessed a wine by the smell.

T - Mouth puckering! This is one tart sour. Personally I am getting alot of wine showing through. I get the oak, some vanilla, a little bit of the cherries, but mainly I taste wine. With the higher carbonation it reminds me of a champagne almost. Very different. Very good.

M - Light on the tounge. Nothing sticks around on the palate. Leaves you ready for some more!

D - Pretty darn good. I prefer Temptation, but would never refuse another bottle! Try it, you won't be disapointed.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

My wife was visiting her parents in Vallejo over the fourth, and went through Santa Rosa on her way to a spa treatment at Osmosis, just outside of Sebastopol (I think). I had cajoled her into stopping in at Russian River on her way back and picking up anything that wasn't either Damnation (of which I have thre bottles in the basement) or Sanctification (which I'd already had). She came back with one bottle each of Temptation and Supplication.

Appearance: Gorgeous. Pours into my wine goblet a light golden brown, then as the glass fills it exposes its murky, cherry-colored heart. This is a beer with gentle secrets.

Smell: The oak from the pinot barrels is really the predominant smell, but it backs away to expose the light fruitiness of the cherries, brett and candy sugars.

Taste: Very, very nice. Again, light and fruity (almost like a chardonnay), but the oak and the cherry truly take over in the middle, with the oak politley excusing itself and allowing the cherry to dominate the finish. A light alcohol warming once the beer comes up to temperature.

Mouthfeel: Exquisite. Gentle, but weighty. This is a 7% beer that isn't shy about throwing it's weight around, however, it isn't overpowering. A wonderful balance.

Drinkability: This is hard to quantify. I have to say a four, because I think I could (at most) drink maybe three glasses of it. It's a sipping beer, a conversational beer, not a session beer.

4.4/5  rDev -3.5%

Thanks to todd1 for this bottle!

A: Pours a deep murky orange with thin head that leaves very little lacing on the glass.

S: Smell of funkiness and spices with a deep cherry smell. Very little smell of oak but just enough to add a more complex nose leaving you asking...what the hell is that smell?

T/M: One of the most complex beers I have ever had roll across my tongue. The most misleading thing is that I would not relate any brown ale that I have ever had to this beer, yet the more I drink, the more subleties of a brown ale arise. The taste up front is a sour funky cherry taste. This is followed up with a sweet maltness that is hardly apparent but is the one thing that relates to a brown ale. About 1000 different tastes then swirl across your tongue consisting of 1000 different unknowns. I honestly can't begin to describe the tastes but they are delicious and they are there. The mouthfeel is amazing. Not too thin and not too thick, medium...just right! Wonderfully carbonated which adds so much to the beer.

D: Delicious. I could suck this down all day. The funky taste may get to you after a while but definitely not from this bottle!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Batch 003 bottle poured into a tulip.

Pours a slightly hazy brownish amber with a bubbly off-white head that remains a cap throughout and leaves very good lacing.

The aroma is wonderfully complex with sour red cherries on a big bready malt base with hints of citrus, lemons especially. The wood character is evident as well and hints of funk as well, but not overpowering.

The taste is just as nice with a lip-puckering sour kick up front with cherries and bits of lemony funk. The background malts really support the sourness well and the finish is nice and dry with lots of wood and vanilla. The brett kicks it up a notch in the taste and makes the taste very nice all the way around.

The mouthfeel has clearly been influenced by the barrels as it is dry and wine-like in the finish. It's still nice and creamy with strong carbonation though.

This is a fantastic example of a style that I'm really not into. It says a lot that I really enjoyed this one despite my palate not quite being ready for sours yet. Get some now.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

I'm excited to try this, I've only had one other RR sour.

A- There was a huge pop when I let the cork fly. Good carbination in the glass. A nice head formed, about an inch, and it's pretty frothy and tightly nit. The glass has a lot of carbination action going on in the beer itself. A nice amber color nestles itself within my glass.

S- The sourness is there for sure. A lacto smell is there, reminds me of a cherry tums in a strange way. A nice oak smell with the presence of the pino for sure along with the sour cherry taste that floats around. Pretty complex nose.

T- Good clean beer taste, very crisp and refreshing. The sourness sits and waits till the end to pounce and pucker the tongue. This is a sour beast, almost like sucking on sour lemons. The sourness even lingers on my teeth, gums and down my throat. My most recent taste made my eye twitch, whew. The sourness is so overwhelming that I'm not getting too much of the other flavors. But this is tasty.

M- Besides the mouth puckering sourness the carbination is totally awesome and helps this beer out a great deal.

D- Easy to drink, but the sourness does slow down the drinking of the beer, but I want to enjoy this as it is.

4.4/5  rDev -3.5%

A - A hazy ruby/copper hue with thin white head. Head fades to a thin lacing of bubbles. Seems to be hazy due to carbonation.

S - I can safely say I have never smelled that aroma before in my life (this is the first sour I have ever had). I will assume the brett is what I smell. Sweet smelling but I can't place any aroma at all...

T - Wow. Wow. Sour. Lots of sour apples. Dark cherry flavor as well. Complex, but once again I can't place any of the flavors as I have never had anything like it before.

M - Medium body, lots of carbonation. Sour all the way through with a nice crisp finish.

D - Extremely drinkable. ABV doesnt show at all, this might as well not have any alcohol as far as I'm concerned. The sourness isn't too overpowering either. I had never had a sour, so I expected this to force my to pucker up the entire taste, not the case.

Batch 04x5

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Had this at the brewery on 2010-08-20 in Santa Rosa, CA and again on 2011-12-03 and 2012-12-08 in Paoli, PA at TJ's.

A - Mahogany with a short tan head

S - Could smell it from two feet away. Cherries and what reminded me of the inside of a spring house on a summer day. So inviting.

T - Amazing. Like biting into a sour cherry while swigging apple cider. Sour, acidic, puckering, brilliant although I slightly prefer the Consecration.

M Light-medium boday and carbonation.

D - You could savor this until you can't walk straight :>)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Batch 005x4 -- poured a vivid, ruby-tinged rust into a tulip with a thin film of tight white head. Powerful aroma of cherries, leather, grape, and spicy Belgian yeast.

Slightly high carbonation and a light, dry, champagne-like mouthfeel. Intense cherry up front that begins with a tinge of sweetness before the puckering sour apple tartness sets in. Wine-like notes of oak and alcohol warmth emerge before the slightly bitter and funky finish.

Absolutely delicious, as was to be expected. I splurged and tried this and Russian River's Temptation over the course of a weekend, and while I preferred the subtleties of Temptation just a bit more, Supplication bowls you over with bold and complex flavors that are worth the price of admission.

4.4/5  rDev -3.5%

one of the best, and most, sour beers ive ever had! pours a thin brownish rust color with a short but very active tan head. fizzy. smells like sour cherries, old church wine, and brettanomyces. its almost like smelling salts, it throws the head back in intensity. wow. flavor is hard to describe, there are notes of cherries, but nothing sweet. there is so much sour here it puckers you rich up for a moment, then it goes insanely dry and is gone without a trace. the brown ale base is inconsequential here as the bacteria and fruit steal the show. the tannic tang from the wine barrels adds another layer of sour depth to this one. feel is perfect perfect perfect. more than effervescent carbonation serves the sour train well, and the drinkably medium body is a welcomed surprise. russian river rules the roost on beers of this genre. this baby is alltime!

4.4/5  rDev -3.5%

Pours a slightly turbid mahogany topped by a healthy, lumpy head that retains nicely and laces beautifully.

The aroma is black, bruised cherries and saddle leather, white wine, slight lemony acidity, with some green apple and unripe peaches.

The taste is acerbic bing cherries all the way with a hint of pepper, barnyard and a nice, clean, dry okay finish. Tart and crisp. Sour like a lambic, but lighter and brighter on the palate with some aged hop presence as well. Very vinous. Borderline vinegary.

Really, this is an engaging beer that really draws me in and makes me want to never stop drinking it. It feels simple and complex at the same time.

Very easy drinking and definitely a beer made for pairing with food.

4.4/5  rDev -3.5%

Got this as an extra from nerd. Poured into a tulip. Batch 005X1. Light brown with a reddish tint to it. There is a light brown head that rests on top; about a quarter inch thick.

Smells slightly sour, a hint of oak is noticed in the background. I get a good whiff of cherry vanilla as well. This doesn't smell overly sour, allowing a more complex aroma from the other scents.

The taste starts with just the slightest bit of vanilla sweetness, and follows with a nice sour finish. Nicely balanced, but still sour forward.

The mouthfeel here his nicely done. The carbonation has a nice prickliness to it, and the body fills the mouth nicely when quaffed.

As far as sours go, this is highly drinkable, but I will resist the urge to gulp it down and make it last.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Poured from cork and caged 375ml bottle.
Batch :04X5

First sour ever so lets see what these are all about.

A:pours a burnt orange color with an appealing amount of cloudiness. The head is bubbly lace in the shade buttermilk. Its leaving nice thick lace sheets comprised of foamy bubbles. The top of the head is smooth and frothy looking

S:gobs and gobs of sour cherries and yeasty funk. No booze present in the smell but its almost like brandy soaked cherries. Very sweet smelling and I cant really pick out a ton of brett but it is apparent.

T: WOW. I have heard sours were interesting and that in no way could describe this beer. No amount of words could ever describe this much flavor. First a TON of sour, all different types. mainly cherries but there is a reminiscence of other fruits as well like apples but its mostly a berry sourness. There is a sweet flash almost as things shift from sour to smooth. No off flavors to be found or any alcohol. The aging has done amazing for this beer as all the types of yeast now work as one smooth complex flavor that melds perfectly with the sour from the cherries. The finish is clean and smooth with no aftertaste. I am very impressed.

M:Carbonation is almost the the level of champagne but it fits this style perfectly. Lots of bubbles keep things moving along nicely. Its very nice although im not really sure what the mouthfeel is supposed to be on these or how difficult it is to attain but there is for sure nothing wrong with it.

D: This is great beer. By all accounts this beer is delicious. I cant imagine having a lower quality version. The sourness does take a little getting used to after the initial sip but its all world class from there.

4.4/5  rDev -3.5%

Tasting on 12/16 with GarrettMD. Batch 04x5, 375 mL bottle into DFH snifter.

A - Pours a clear ruby-ish copper with a half finger of off white head. Looks nice.

S - This is not a smell I know. Is this the legendary "Brett funk"? It is a bit sweet, a bit sour, and yeasty. Sour black cherries and perhaps some sour apple.

T - Extremely sour on the first sip, you get used to it as you drink. Definitely earns the title of Sour Ale. Sour apple and sour cherries. I am instantly reminded of the dry acidity of pinor noit. This is so so delicious.

M - Medium to light body with very active carbonation. A bit cloying finish.

D - Despite the sourness I find it very easy to drink. Tart and sweet and an absolute joy and privilege to drink.

4.41/5  rDev -3.3%

375 mL bottle poured into my Allagash chalice, because I broke my RR -tion glass :( RIP RR -tion. May I soon obtain another. Batch 006X2.

Appearance - More red than brown. The color of a dark sherry. Huge head that seems to climb the sides of the glass and cling for dear life. A soft pillow protects the body from the elements.

Smell - The tart fermented cherry aroma is most prominent. Some brett aromas as well. Not terrifically funky. Huge pinot aroma.

Taste - Starts off with a threatening tartness that fades and suddenly returns with a vengeance in the finish. The cherries come through most in the front. Behind the cherries the pinot flavors push through with some tannins and oak flavors. The tartness almost overwhelms the wine in the finish, but as the sour notes fade, the wine shines through. To be honest, I'm not sure I love how strong the wine is, but for right now it's awesome.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied and tinglingly carbonated. Very dry in the finish with the tannins from the oak and wine extending the finish.

Overall - Really spectacular. I don't get to drink many sours as good as this one. I can't wait to try the Beatification in my cellar. It tempts me every day. Is there anything Russian River doesn't do well?

4.41/5  rDev -3.3%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Batch 005X3. Thank you slentz for the trade!

A small but nice off white head out of the bottle, foamy, falls slowly but maintains a real nice collar throughout drinking. Great body color again on these Wild Ale's from Russian River. Body is slightly cloudy, but a beautiful dark orange and brown with great hues. Fantastic looking beer here.

Smell is a little muted and small but, wonderful pleasant sour and acid. Small fruit cherry, and there's this very good sense of pine needles or something spicy, I get pine though and stinging.

Taste is a real nice bodied sour, with small cherry fruit. Good tartness, a bit dry in the mouth after some sips, Has an almost hint of malt on the swallow, but a good black pepper spice too that carries. Very balanced, not overpowering, everything is in play here.

Fantastic wild ale here, would have this again anytime with food or without. Balanced, not overpowering, great body, tasty brew!

4.41/5  rDev -3.3%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company