Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

SupplicationSupplication

Wants: 2,127
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros

Omnium, Dec 07, 2013

BittEER, Dec 04, 2013

JCam9981, Dec 04, 2013
4.08/5  rDev -10.5%

Bottled 041113.

A: Pours a beautiful ruby red. Tall, fizzy tan head. Almost soda-like. Fizzes out pretty quickly. Zero lacing and little head retention.

S: Tart cherries with some leathery tannins. Hint of oak and a little sweet fruits join when swirled - sweet raspberries I'd say mostly? General berry fruitiness everywhere.

T: Whoa, much more sour than the aroma betrays. Tart grapeskins from the wine and loads of sour cherries up front. Sour cherries don't fade, they actually get more and more tart through the middle. A little bit of raspberry sweetness and then lots of oaky, leathery tannins in the finish.

M: Medium bodied, mouth-puckeringly sour.

O: Seriously sour, I actually think this was more sour than beatification. Or maybe it's just the wine adding more layers of tartness that amplify the sour cherries. I'm not sure. Strongest/sourest cherry flavor in a beer I've ever had. A little over the top for me, but obviously well crafted. Big and bright flavors for sure. Barrel aging isn't over the top and adds quite a bit of complexity. I'm not a big fan of wine or wine barrel beers so my subjectivity is showing with my scores. It's a good beer but just not up my alley, I think.

Dope, Dec 03, 2013

PF15, Nov 28, 2013

JasonLovesBeer, Nov 28, 2013
4.01/5  rDev -12.1%

375ml Bottle poured into a tulip

A - Pours with a ruby translucency, head was a finger but was almost gone before I could observe it. Interesting that this was originally a brown ale as it looks nothing like that after the almost year of labor put into it.

S - Intoxicating. Sour cherries and a bit of alcohol warms the nose. Smells almost like the favorite sour cherry chewy gummy things of my youth. I know I said this on another recent review but this is one of the best smelling beers Ive ever smelled. Maybe my nose is just getting better

T - It should be mentioned that this is also my first sour ale. Interesting. The sour cherry flavor from the nose comes across slightly but the wine undertones are definitely stronger. The funk of traditional sour ales is definitely strong. Not sure this is my favorite style although if it were stronger on the sourness it would not be as tasteful I don't think. Still really enjoyable and pleasant, but with the price I will save this for really special occasions. I am curious about how it would age though, so I will probably toss a few bottles in the cellar

M - Really pleasant carbonated, a thin mouthfeel leaves the sour cherry and wine flavors sitting on your tongue to linger.

O - I'm sure if I had more context for the style I would have been wowed by this beer but as such I am a sour noob. I still loved the cherry and wine notes and think those will come out stronger as I age it (hopefully!)

laglocal, Nov 27, 2013