Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 2,618
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,392 | Hads: 5,780
4.49/5  rDev -0.2%

Bottled in a corked 375 ml bottle from Batch 001.

This thing is a beautiful reddish brown hue.
A very carbonated Burnt amber color holds a foamy head for a good amount of time.

A boastfull aroma knocks the nose with alot a unfamiliar smells from the wild yeast. Sour cherries dominate with just a touch of ground pepper and sweet rotting wood.

The tartness will make you pucker and the tastbuds are bonbarded with sour cherries. You can pick up the vanilla and dry wine from the oak barrel. The head is still lingering around to enhance each sip as it rolls back through the pallett.

Pairing this with a nice rare cut of red meat will bring out some additional characters in the beer. Enjoy this one for awhile, let it warm up a bit and hang on.

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

Big thanks go out to gford217 for sending this one my way!

Batch #3, poured into a Duvel tulip.

This pours out an opaque deep golden, almost orange with a huge fluffy persistent head that finall falls to a 1/4 but never fully dissolves... Beautiful.

What a funky aroma! This is truly a first for me...and I love it! Surprisingly I smell some maltiness that is immediately followed by a blast of sour cherries and funkiness... I can definitely smell the pinot noir and the oakiness... it seems like I can smell some old leather too..

Whew!! This is bracingly sour and funky at first with the cherries bombarding my senses but soon enough it mellows out into a smooth vinousness that seems to end with that earthy funky leather I was smelling..it finishes quite dry and leaves me wanting another sip..this is a crazy brew...

My first Russian River brew and I actually liked it more than I thought I would. I was expecting to sort of think it might be ok but hell, it seemed like the more I sipped, I couldn't wait for more...very unusual but in a very good way..

Thanks again to Grant for the opportunity to try this!!

4.5/5  rDev 0%

Appearance: It's a very attractive golden brown color. A little hazy. Sitting atop is a white, foamy finger and a half head. It stuck around for a bit and left a nice, spotty coat of lace lining the glass. Really nice looking beer.

Smell: The addition of Brettanomyces is immediately noticeable on the nose. It's pretty funky smelling. It also has a strong fruity and sour presence. Very impressive. The fruity aroma is mostly attributable to cherry. There's clearly a spicy element as well, though this nose is not capable of distinguishing the particular spices. Toward the end, the oak or wood smell emerges and really caps it off nicely.

Taste: Initially, it's very tart and tastes like sour cherries. It's a little maltier than I expected. Malts add some sweetness and blend really well with the strong tart flavor. Again, there's some spicy flavors in there, but I can't identify them. They're subtle but really add a lot to the flavor. It also has a nice grainy aspect. It finishes tart and the oaked or wood flavor kicks in and appears to dry it out quite a bit.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability: It's light to medium bodied and extremely smooth. I'm really tempted to pull the "5" trigger on feel, but it's not quite there. Almost though...damn close. Given its abv is 7%, it's very drinkable. I could tackle two or three of these with no trouble. It's very engaging and inviting.

Supplication's another fine beer from Russian River. I characterized Beatification as "art in a bottle" and this is no different. These really are special beers. Russian River's the most artistic brewery I've encountered. Their beers are really unlike anything else I've tried. Truly special and unique. Hopefully they'll distribute on a more widespread basis someday.

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

A 375 mL corked and caged bottle from Batch 003.

A: The ale is a reddish brown color, like grenadine in orange juice only with a little less haze. A finger plus of highly carbonated foam has left spots of lace around the mouth.

S: Aroma-wise, the ale is just plain funky. The barnyard aromas are hard to avoid, filling the nose with sour cherries, pepper and apple butter.

T: The tartness here surpasses the bite of Temptation, scalding the tastebuds with each sip. Sour cherries follow the tartness, adding a little more depth to the taste. Red wine and vanilla finish out the taste. The ale is incredibly carbonated, adding to the lively taste with each sip.

M: The ale is quite dry from the barrel aging. That, in conjunction with the wild yeasts, creates a beer that stabs the tastebuds with each sip. The complexity is present but you have to appreciate it.

D: The wood, vanilla and funk are incredible. This is a great beer to sip from a snifter.

4.22/5  rDev -6.2%

Batch #3, poured in to a tulip glass. Amberish color with a great two finger high head.

Amazing smell of cherries and sweet malt. Lovely.

SOUR oh so TART!! The cherries are seriously linger in the background along with wood. Oh such a treat.

A bit of a dry finish, great mouthfeel.

Again this is a great rare beer that could be drank every day but is best shared with friends to make great moments.

4.32/5  rDev -4%

Batch #3. Shared with sberman77. Poured into Russian River tulip. Beer was amber in color with a two-finger, off-white head. Excellent lacing and soft carbonation.

Aroma is dominated by sour cherries and sweet malt.

Taste is sour and tart. Sour cherries really come through along with vanilla and oak.

Long sour finish. Very tasty brew and one I wish I could have more often.

4.82/5  rDev +7.1%

Thanks to Deepsouth for this one!

Pours a nice hazy orange color with a nice 1/4" head. Lots of sticking!

Very sour aroma with a tangy-citrus aroma with a nice mellow cherry in the background.

SOUOOOUUURRR!!! Love it! Huge random flavors of cherry combined with a nice citrus flavor that is combined with a long lasting oak aroma.

Very tart to the tongue and mouth. Delicious and smooth with a nice tart finish.

Very drinkable but to rare to drink often. Another smashing hit from Russian River.

4.08/5  rDev -9.3%

It pours a pleasant amber color witha nice fluffy slightly off-white head to it. There is a good amount of carbonation rising up giving the head some nice retention. It leaves some fairly thick lacing as it recedes. It has a very dry smell consisting mostly of sour cherries. Notes of a dry white wine give it some nice complexity.

The first sip is very tart, with a slight cherry finish to it. It definitely has some solid bite to it. The more it warms up the more the wine-like qualities of the beer come through, and the tartness mellows somewhat. Some light phenols and hints of brown sugar are there as well. The carbonation is rich and gives it an excellent mouthfeel. Overall, excellent beer.

4.5/5  rDev 0%

12.7 oz brown bottle, corked and caged, batch 003.

Pours a nice amber color with slight auburn hue to it, topped with a foamy ring and skim coat of head that lasted the entire glass. clear until the last little pour when i got some yeast into it. Laces nicely.

Smell is very tart and funky from the second i popped the cork out of the bottle. no denying the sourness of this one without even tasting it. It makes my mouth water just smelling it.

Taste is sour. I would say tart, but this goes right to the edge of tart and then one step further. once you get your jaws unlocked there are some subtle oak and vanilla flavors along with some sour cherry notes. It has a sour candy sweetness to it that makes it very enjoyable and keeps it from going over the top. It finishes like a dry wine, begging for you to drink more.

Mouthfeel on this one is good. There is plenty of carbonation to keep this one from being overwhelming while keeping a nice thick film of head for the entire glass.

As for drinkability, the only reason it does not get a 5 is that it is so hard to come by. I could drink this all day, although it would have to be sipped :) there is no hint of alcohol in this one, completely masked by the tartness. I have a few more of these i wanted to age, but not sure how long i will be able to hold on to them now that i popped the first one open!

4.65/5  rDev +3.3%

Thanks to myself for this one wow did I like it.

A: Pours a nice murky amber hue with a huge rocky head in the proper barrel aged Russian River tulip. Nice tiny bubbles rise to the top to maintain the head. Overall excellent head retention.

S: Wonderful aromas with tons of tart Bing Cherries. You can tell this one is barrel aged as the oak vanilla and sour wine really come thru.

T: Even better than the aroma. This one is worth every dollar I spent to get it shipped to Florida. Tons of tart ripe cherries right from the start. The barrel ageing really comes thru with tons of oak and vanilla. Wow very vineous this is one well crafted brew. Beneath all this there is just a touch of sweetness. I bought a second to trade but I am sorry I will be enoying it myself.

M: Light in body very spritzy. Very guezue like wonderful overall.

D: I love this, glad I shared it but could have enjoyed it myself no problem.

Overall: Great Brewer, Great Beer... If you have not tried it do all you can to get it. Wonderful!!

3.38/5  rDev -24.9%

Poured from a corked and caged bottle into a wine glass.

Appearance - Pours a murky copper color with a picturesque tight white finger length head. Lite lacing on the sides, as it forms small patches in spots.

Smell - Cherries and oak are present immediately. Very sour smell, almost akin to a flemish ale (DUCHESSE DE BOURGOGNE).

Taste & Mouthfeel - Wow! This is a sour beer! It's so tangy and sour you can't really taste much else. Definitely a sweet cheery flavor with a light oakiness to it. Feels very carbonated in the mouth but smooths out quickly, and finishes very dry.

Drinkability - Not quite what I expected. I expected it to be much sweeter and more balanced than just a huge sour tartness. A cool beer for the style, but I don't get all the hype. I could throw one back every once in a while, but not something I would seek out as an elite beer. Too tart to the Extreme for my taste.

3.78/5  rDev -16%

Poured from slender neck bottle into an over sized wine glass.

A- Poured a deep burnt copper color with a nice one finger tight white head.

S- Very cherry and a bit of oak. On smelling it seems to have a bit of a sweet and sour nose.

T & M- Very sour. I was expecting this to be sour so it didn't take me by surprise. Its sour upfront but has a mild sweetness to it in the end. i can definitely taste the sour cherries. That's probably the most prevelant. Smooth on the tongue and the good carbonation balance gives it a little spice.

D- I'm definitely not a fan of this style. However for what this beer is trying to accomplish, it does it perfectly. In the right arena this is an exceptional brew. I would probably enjoy this more if it were paired with foods, but I'm just drinking it straight up at the moment. If your into trying new different styles, this is a must. It's the best Wild Ale you'll get.

4.28/5  rDev -4.9%

Pours a hazy amber color with one finger of slightly yellowed head. Decent retention and no lacing.

Aroma has some barnyard funk, fruit, and elludes to tartness.

Taste is very nice. Tart cherry with a dry finish makes the mouth water for more.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied and finely carbonated.

Drinkabilityi s fairly high. Alcohol is moderate and flavors are great, but tart beers are always limited in their consumption.

4.62/5  rDev +2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375 ml bottle, batch 002.

Slightly hazy, amber-copper body with a dense finger of dirty khaki head. Great lacing. Intoxicating sourish Brett funk hits the nose first. A bit musty with a tart edge. This lays over toffee-coated cherries and grapes. The winy fruits add a slight powdered sugar sweetness to the nose. Notes of oak and leather as well. Wow.

Taste starts off rather tart and acidic. Lime and cherry tartness make up the most of it. Relentless sourness is backed up by slightly sweet cherries, red wine, and oak. Delicious. Finish remains tart and acidic with residual cherries, leather, vinous grapes, and oak. Very well done. Medium body with a very dry finish. Spritzy, sparkling carbonation. Would love to get more bottles of this!

4.42/5  rDev -1.8%

pours a hazy copper into a tulip. Big, fluffy 3-finger head slowly fades to a thin cap with spotty lacing. Nose is all sour, tart fruits, with a bit of citrus & vinegar. MAN this beer is sour! I've only had a couple of sours, but this one really makes the lips pucker. Cherry, raspberry, and lemon all over. After a few sips, the sphincter-tightening sourness subsides somewhat, giving way to a pleasant sweetness, with a dash of bitterness at the end. The finish is crisp, dry, and refreshing. A brew unlike any I've had. And that's a good thing. I'd very much like to see what effect a good year or two of age will have.

Thanks to cloudskipper for the hookup!

This beer is, in a word, divine. If you believe sour is at the top of the beer-flavor hierarchy, as I do, than this beer is for you. If you don't believe this, well chances are this beer is still for you. It offers a rich amber color, abundant head, delicious aroma, and even better taste. Aroma is citrus-y, sour, candy-sweet, yet somehow (despite what I've already said) balanced and distinctly beer-like. Flavor is distinctly sour, although I've certainly had beers sourer. It has a musty, sweet-tart, clove, complex and delicious. Mouthfeel is excellent.

This is not a beer that is not easy for most of us to get our hands on. However, if you've not had it, you should travel, trade, or attend a festival to get it.

4.4/5  rDev -2.2%

Thanks to todd1 for this bottle!

A: Pours a deep murky orange with thin head that leaves very little lacing on the glass.

S: Smell of funkiness and spices with a deep cherry smell. Very little smell of oak but just enough to add a more complex nose leaving you asking...what the hell is that smell?

T/M: One of the most complex beers I have ever had roll across my tongue. The most misleading thing is that I would not relate any brown ale that I have ever had to this beer, yet the more I drink, the more subleties of a brown ale arise. The taste up front is a sour funky cherry taste. This is followed up with a sweet maltness that is hardly apparent but is the one thing that relates to a brown ale. About 1000 different tastes then swirl across your tongue consisting of 1000 different unknowns. I honestly can't begin to describe the tastes but they are delicious and they are there. The mouthfeel is amazing. Not too thin and not too thick, medium...just right! Wonderfully carbonated which adds so much to the beer.

D: Delicious. I could suck this down all day. The funky taste may get to you after a while but definitely not from this bottle!

4.27/5  rDev -5.1%

On the nose with cherries, literally. Fragrant cherry aroma hit me immediately. Reminds me of cherry sweet tarts or smarties . Looks great in my Duvel glass, perfect lacing and nice head. Taste is more tart than sour with slight notes of cherry chloraseptic, but not in a bad way, must be the Brett. As it warms, noticeable oak, well balanced. Drinkable? As much as any 12.7 ounce $15 "if you can get it at that price" beer can be. Kind of bummer that it is not more affordable and available. Would love for it to have a chance to grow on me more and perhaps share a little with the wife. Very unique!

4.72/5  rDev +4.9%

Purchased a couple of bottles on line. Glad that I did.

A- Pours a murky, dull coppery orange with a brief appearance of a thin white head. Minimal lacing

S- Some tangy, funky sourness. Able to pick up the woodiness easily. Some medicinal phenols in there.

T- Bright tanginess. Man, some great sourness on my palate. I do appreciate the sour cherries, but they don't jump out "cherries" to me. Mellow woodiness. Some bright citrus at the end.

M- Smooth, with beautiful tanginess. Lively bubbles, gets my salivary glands working.

D- Now while I love this unique RR offering, it has to be in the right setting. This needs to be paired with food, or enjoyed as you would a liquor. I would love to have multiple of these on hand to drink on a whim.

4.94/5  rDev +9.8%

Batch 002. Sam from the Stuffed Sandwich was nice enough to sell this to me.

A - The beer pours with a rich foamy head. The color is a light red to amber. Head disipates to a skim of white foam leaving a little lace

S - The beer smells of sour cherries. This would make the brewers of Rodenbach blush.

T - More sour cherries. I also taste the oak barrel. Incredibly balanced.

M - Well carbonated, medium bodied, very dry finish.

D - Incredibly drinkable. This is probably Russian River's most balanced beer. If you can find it, buy it and drink it.

4.73/5  rDev +5.1%

Bought these on-line from Russian River and was generously sent to me by 0110x011. I love Russian River and I especially love these sour wild ales. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale tulip. Batch 003.

Appearance- Pours a sunset orangeish pink with a nice big two finger bright white head. The head doesn't leave, ever, and the lacing that is left is bewildering thick and coating.
Smell- Mildly sour and tart with that fantastic yeasty wildness. Feint funk that isn't over the top like some of these can be (definitely not saying that in a bad way) and twinges of bright zesty citrus. The cherries are easily detectable and probably the focal point of the nose. A sort of metallic like sensation is given off; reminiscent of the sensation you get when smelling blood or rusted iron. Beautiful nose!
Taste- Beautifully sour and lactic but not puckering or vinegary. The Brett has done its job well on this one but I don't know how it doesn't have that sour lingering tartness that can sometimes make these brews hard to drink more than one. The cherries are sour and raw with a very fresh vibrant taste. The oak woodiness isn't as prominent as I expected but this brew has more acidic wine character than the others like it I've tried. Apparently the pinot noir has really worked its way into this one. Lightly funky and dank this brew is everything I could want in a wild ale. The aftertaste lingers with sweet twang that is lighty vanilla, lightly cherry.
Mouthfeel- Very sharp aggressive carbonation with a fairly hefty body and a dry quenching finish.
Drinkability- This is one of those brews that I could easily enjoy daily and probably not get sick of it. The sourness isn't over the top but it's prevalent enough to satisfy that sour tooth that I've acquired as of late. Terrifically balanced and funky I think this is a absolutely brilliant brew that must be tried! Big thanks to Matt for sending this my way!

4.57/5  rDev +1.6%

Amber with some off white fizz. Tart, yeasty aroma. Begins with a sharp, prickly tartness and lively, acidic fruit over some bread and yeast. Mellows out quickly and layers of lean red fruit come through, with a lot of musty, earthy undertones. Barnyard, straw and wood notes add complexity. Cherry flavors are lean and subtle, but add some red fruit acidity. Mouthfeel is medium/light and a bit creamy. Complexities evolve as it warms, leaning toward juicier red fruit towards the end, with some semi dry sherry flavors. Finish is creamy and dry. Very very nice. As top notch as this is I think its a bit pricey. For $14 it should be a 750.

4.38/5  rDev -2.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 003 poured into Delirum Tremens snifter. Poured a golden amber color with slight off white head that was at least 2 fingers thick. After minutes stil an active head with great lacing. Smell is sweet bread, a slight musty brett funk, a slight phenolic smell. Taste is sour cherries some spice, a little creamy buttery nut like flavor, and slight acidic bite. Mouthfeel medium body brew is on the dry side with a little malt sweetness to round out the feel. Carbonation is a perfect moderate level that makes this beer a light refreshing sour with a nice tart balance.

4.43/5  rDev -1.6%

Batch 003 poured into a Allagash chalice

A - Big white foamy head. Nice reddish amber color. Head disipates to a skim of white foam leaving a little lace

S - Tart cherries, citrus, sour. Maybe a bit of strawberry?

T - Sour/tart cherries. Slight oakiness with a dry finish. Just enough sweetness. Sourness lingers.

M - Active carbo, medium bodied with a dry finish

D - Fairly easy drinking for the style.

4.43/5  rDev -1.6%

So I finally get to try some Supplication. After having the Beatification last night, I decided to pop this one right after it to see how it was. Batch 003, I grabbed this one right out of the fridge and poured it into a Chimay chalice and allowed it to warm up a touch before deciding to go in for the kill. Huge pop on this one, I probably could have shot the cork across the room! Fantastic looking 375ml bottle, with a nice cork and cage to it in typical Russian River fashion.

Appearance - Poured a very nice looking bright, golden, amber color right out of the gate. A very nice, and slightly hazy looking consistency to it, I did notice copious amounts of bubbles coming up through it, throughout the session. This was a really a very full looking beer already. A gorgeous looking head of about two fingers in height rose up off the top and stayed FOREVER. I actually had to walk in the other room and take care of my son for about ten minutes and came back and it was still there, I was amazed! Thick, and coating side glass lace then trickled down the side of it and really just thickened up the whole thing. This was amazing looking, probably the best I could have ever envisioned it looking.

Smell - The aroma was very nice and tart. Huge aromas of Brett coming off of this immediately, turning the whole experience over to the funk that was in the glass, very nice to see. This was a little bit more sweet on the nose though then some of the other sours I have had, and after a few minutes, the cherries were very much detectable, with a dark sweetness about it. Very bright aroma, that really stuck out at you and welcomed you in. Some light woody aromas as well now as it gets a little warmer, this was turning out to be very nice indeed.

Taste - Ok, so here we go again. The first thing I notice, naturally would be the fully funked out Brett flavor coming through, though I have to admit it seems a little tamer then the Beatification I had last night. Still damn good in its own right though, but some of that deep, resonant sour taste, seems to be a little more tame that what I was expecting, A good bit of sweetness in here, balancing this one out a bit more. Nice notes of cherries riddled throughout this one. Very nice. After the initial wave of Brett, some soothing cherry sweetness rolls in behind it, with some nice tones of wood raveled in throughout as well. Really well blended, the aging is really coming into play here now. Very dry finish with the long lingering taste of sour Brett that as time fades, it does as well, but the zap of cherry sweetness lingered on long past everything else.

Mouthfeel - There was a very nice feel to this one. It came off a little bit fuller then some of the other sours I have had, with more of a rich feel, and loads of carbonation. Never a dull moment here, with a smooth texture, but yet still a crisp finish to it adding a bit of a refreshing touch to it.

Drinkability - This was superbly drinkable. The alcohol was never a factor, and with soo much yeast, I doubt you would ever be able to find it. Nice subtleness with the cherries was just enough to balance this so that you could have easily more then one. I was looking for another right away!

Overall I thought this was wonderful and well worth the price and the hassle to get it. These RR sours are unlike anything else made. It was truly unreal to see these develop and I am glad I have a few to lay down for a while. You really need to go out and get this one if you can find it, it is definitely worth it!

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company