2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

SupplicationSupplication

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005)
Ratings: 3,954 | Reviews: 1,278 | Show All Ratings:
mjohn27603

4.78/5  rDev +4.8%

Comes in 375 ml bottle with blue, black and white label. Labeled Batch 001. Sent to me in a beer trade with Lou91. Cork is hard to remove then suddenly comes out with one twist. Pours golden with perhaps a slight reddish pink tinge. Carbonation is quite pronounced. It reminds me of champagne. Head dissipates quite quickly leaving transparent large bubbles that lead to a thin film.

Aroma is of extreme sourness combined with a musty oaky smell. A slight vinegar smell tells of sourness.

First taste reveals - wow! The first thing I noticed is the softness and silky feeling of the beer. Mouthfeel is exceptional although some might say a tad on the thin side. Not as sour as the smell indicates. A little bit of a gueze taste with slight hint of cherries. Not pronounced cherry flavor. A coating of silk remains on the tongue for a while. This is not a big huge beer but subtle in it's flavor. The sourness is nice but not overpowering. I'm comparing this to a La Folie I had last night and that was orders of magnitude more sour.

This stuff could be drunk in huge quantitites. I wonder why they make this in 375ml and La Folie in 750. Amazing that the wild bacteria could do this. One of the best tasting experiences I've had since starting beer advocate.

A real eye opener in terms of what can be done with beer in the U.S.

01-02-2006 04:40:42 | More by mjohn27603
DarkerTheBetter

4.68/5  rDev +2.6%

This beer pours an amber cherry color with a thin uniform bubble head that is sustained by a few little bubbles from the bottom. There isn’t any lace as the head just slides down the side.

Smells strongly of oak with a bit of cherries, mandarin orange, raisins and a pungent chemical smell.

The flavor is at first dominated by oak, but then transitions into a delightful wild cherry and sour milk flavor and then finishes with a clean oak that left my tongue tingling.

The mouth feel is light to medium with a smooth carbonation.

This is an awesome sipper. Definitely give this a whirl.

01-02-2006 02:44:39 | More by DarkerTheBetter
TurdFurgison

3.58/5  rDev -21.5%

Poured from 375ml bottle stamped as "batch 001".

I bought this in CA a few weeks ago, and was really looking forward to trying it. The bottle says "Brown ale aged in oak barrels with cherries added." The bottle goes on to say it's aged for 1 year.

I had hoped for a different flavor out of this beer. I expected a wild ale, maybe a little sour due to the Brett. But this tasted mostly along the lines of a Rodenbach or La Folie. Extremely sour, with some cherry flavor in the background.

If you like Flanders Reds, then you should love this beer. If you expect something else (like I did), you'll be disappointed.

12-31-2005 12:34:31 | More by TurdFurgison
GClarkage

4.53/5  rDev -0.7%

12/25/05- Purchased at Ledger's Liquors in Berkeley, CA.

Presentation- Batch #1, the first bottling. Have had in cellar for a good 1/2 year or so. Cute little 375ml or so caged and corked bottle. $7.50 at Ledger's. Seemed pretty steep at the time. Poured into my Duchesse De Bourgogne chalice.

Appearance- Off orange amber hazed pour. Clear on top and a clouded haze downward. Light 1/4 inch head at first and little lace, but I don't think lace is an issue with this beer.

Smell- Barnyard funk and was hoping there would be. Horse blanket and a bit of wet hay. Maybe a bit of cherry and some oak as well. Smells like rotting oak barrels.

Taste- At first, pretty tart, but that soon fades after the swallow. Decent amounts of malt at first and that mixes well with the sour tartness. I guess the malt kinda balances out the tart with a bit of sweetness. The cherry taste comes more predominant towards the middle of end of the bottle. Maybe I should have shook it up ;) Oak flavors are there as well. In fact oak hits first, then the tartness of a lighter tart lambic and them the nice sweetness of malt comes in. I think this is listed as a WIld Ale, but I would almost call it a Oud Bruin.

Mouthfeel- Incredibly clean and crisp taste. Almost no aftertaste at all. Medium carbonation level and while you a drinking the mouthfeel feels medium to full.

Drinkability- Wish I hadn't had the first half of this with cheese. Tried Camambert cheese for the first time and found I didn't like it's salty taste. So, the first part of my beer experience was muted. Thankfully I have another few bottles and can get a couple more before they disappear. Overall a really tasty beer. One that I will be sure to have again, hopefully many times. Quite a production from Vinnie...would you expect anything else though? Can't wait to have it again.

12-25-2005 20:10:11 | More by GClarkage
SwillinBrew

4.43/5  rDev -2.9%

Had on tap @ Hollingshead.

A - a nice brassy orange color filled my tulip with a half finger of white head. Very bubbly inside with many small bubbles happily bubbling away.
S - tart apples and floral notes hit my nose with some spice. Tickeled a little bit.
T - A solid but not overpowering tartness glazes your tongue like an aged apple cider. Borders on green apple peels and sour cherries but ends with a sweetness and some spice. Great combination and complex.
M&Dr - Effervescent on a medium bodied brew ending on the somewhat dry side. Very tasty and drinkable.
I took 3 bottles home and have had 8 tulips of this beer before the keg was killed.

12-21-2005 22:09:53 | More by SwillinBrew
ggaughan

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

I had been waiting for sometime to try Supplication. I missed it on tap at Monk's a few months back but I got a few bottles in Sonoma, CA at the Sonoma Wine Exchange and also a magnum at the brewpub. The beer I tasted was one of the small bottles. the magnum will sit in the basement waiting for a special occasion.

I poured the beer into a nice tulip glass and admired it for awhile. I got a nice thick bubbly, off white head that lingered for awhile. The fruit aromas you get from there beer are very pleasing. Cheeries and citrus. I really enjoyed the carbonation and tart taste in my Supplication. This definitely takes on some characteristics of wine or champagne which is a nice take on beer. I will surely be back for a few more bottles and hopefully find it on tap in the near future.

12-20-2005 04:19:13 | More by ggaughan
RedDiamond

Oregon

3.53/5  rDev -22.6%

I think I like this beer more for what it aspires to be rather than for what it actually is. It is worth seeking and experiencing, but it is not easily appreciated. Or categorized.

Supplication is born from a highly complex recipe and ambitious aging regimen. It spends a full year in oak wine barrels with sour cherries, "wild" yeast, and two strains of friendly bacteria. It then undergoes a third fermentation in small corked bottles. With so many ingredients pulling in so many directions, the taste can be cluttered with one element obscuring or conflicting with another. The result achieves more convolution than integration.

Lightly oaken colored with no visual suggestion of cherries, Supplication begins with a powerfully explosive uncorking followed by thready, sustained bubbles and a remotely indifferent head. The pungent sour cherry and white wine elements are easily detected in the nose. The taste harbors core woodenness and a tart acidic twang and leans towards a bubbly wine. It bears some resemblance to a wheatless lambic but none at all to a Belgian kriek. There is no defining malt profile to speak of and the hops are similarly obscured by the medley of microorganisms and their attendant fermentation signatures.

I respect this beer a great deal but in the end there's just too much going on here for a singular identity to emerge and this makes Supplication difficult to approach. I found it not nearly as drinkable as Temptation or Damnation.

Batch 001. Special thanks to Brewbacca for the trade.

12-05-2005 05:10:06 | More by RedDiamond
Brewfan

Connecticut

4.72/5  rDev +3.5%

Props to WarriorSoul for the bottle!
Poured into my wide-mouth Duvel tulip.
Poured a very murky orangy-apple cider color. Minimal head with a ton of small bubbles. The very fine lace stayed throughout and re-emerges with gentle encouragement.
There is a galaxy of tiny black specs floating throughtout the beer, but settled to the bottom. Yeast? Cherry pit scrapnel? Not sure what it is. Had no adverse effects on this beer.
Nose of sour cherry and earthy yeast mustyness. Enjoyably tart. Very vinous and smells of a well made hard cider.
Not exactly sure how to catagorize what I'm tasting. It's unlike any beer I've ever tried before. Sour wild cherry and Brett takes presidence, along with musty fruit-cake, minus the nuts. Subdued hoppiness but there is a malty sweetness. Quite dry and woody. My vocabulary cannot express what I'm actually tasting. So much complexity here. Maybe it's not meant to be described.
Very drinkable, smooth dry body. At 7% I wasn't expecting anything too heavy. Mouthfeel reminded me of a nice dry cider.

Awsome beer from Russian River and Vinnie. Like I said before, unlike anything I've previously had. Almost too good for words.

11-29-2005 18:48:17 | More by Brewfan
BitterBrian

3.95/5  rDev -13.4%

I had this as my thanksgiving dinner chaser. Bought it from Blue Dog Tavern Lansdale.
Poured it into a weizen glass. Beer was a copper color and head started at about 2inches and was cream colored.
Taste was a dry mixture of malts, wood and cherries. yes, cherries. The dry texture of this beer is considerably more like a wine to me. But make no mistake, it is all beer. The finish was very woody. Like I just chewed on a wood popsicle stick.
The smell is cherry. I was sitting in a dining chair with the glass near my lap and that was all I could smell.
Not bad, but I wouldn't call it a drinker. Definitely has alot of craftsmanship involved. I would have it again on another special occaision.

11-25-2005 16:03:24 | More by BitterBrian
DogFood11

3.58/5  rDev -21.5%

off white head, body is tan to copper, massive carbonation to the point I would say this is the most aggressive carb's i've seen to this point, it comes up in waves of dominance.. Yeast chunks float about.

a strong lambic, strawberry, currant type mix hits me up front. Malted sweetness and grape finish the nose. interesting to say the least.

Carbonation is sizzling and overpowering but when its finished the overall taste is of young fruit. Imagine picking up an unripe pack of strawberries and grapes, mashing them together and you've got the general idea. Finishes with a touch of malt sweetness and clean.

Notes: Ehhh

11-20-2005 23:32:21 | More by DogFood11
ommegangpbr

4.68/5  rDev +2.6%

The Blind Tiger had bottles of these for their Very Special Keg night; cost me $17 for 12 ounces and I don't regret it (well, not that much). I'm not likely to pull such a feat again anytime soon but:
If you don't like authentic lambics, saisons or flanders red ales then I'd suggest you stay away from this one.
If you, however, do like those styles then belly up to the bar.
Pours a pretty, hazy, burnt orange color with a bit of head; not stunning to the eye but reasonabley inviting.
Smells quite delicious. One of the more fragrant beers I've encountered in quite some time. You get a hint of the tart and tangyness to come (a little like freshly squeezed and squozen lemonade), a hint of cherries...
The taste really assaults the palate. Lambic meets saison meets flanders red. San Francisco sour dough. This is the most elegant use of wood aging I have yet to encounter in a beer; the wood is there but it is harmonious with the other elements.
Hard not to guzzle.
A pretty classy ho.

11-18-2005 01:04:15 | More by ommegangpbr
NolanGTI

4.78/5  rDev +4.8%

WOW. Beer, meet cherries. Cherries meet champagne. this is quite simply an astounding beer and I hate fruit in my beer typcially.

A small head coats the sides as you drink this bad boy down. Cherries are front and center followed by the taste of a nice champagne yeast, unlike anything I have ever tasted in a beer before. This was followed by the nice flavors of a mild brown ale. Tart, but not overly slow with a tangy middle and a nice ale finish. Just a real gem.

11-14-2005 20:25:18 | More by NolanGTI
connecticutpoet

Connecticut

4.97/5  rDev +9%

Received in an excellent trade with GClarkage. I can't wait until they get some of this in this area.

This one poured into my chalice a hazy orange-amber with a half-finger head. It subsided to a thin layer, but remained throughout the experience.

Aroma was vinous, some sweet fruit (I know there's cherries, but it wasn't distinctive),and hints of oak. I noticed a little vanilla and a bit of a medicinal tang that was not unpleasant. Excellent

The taste was tart, a little sour, and vinous, with some cherry sweetness and some oaken notes. Extraordinary. Even the aftertaste was great.

Mouthfeel was tart and a little puckering, but not too much. Not as thin as I would have expected, very very good for the style.

Drinkability was wonderful. I saved this for an extra-special occasion, and this was well worth it.

DAMN, this was good.

11-12-2005 03:28:42 | More by connecticutpoet
PatYoda

Colorado

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%

Batch 001.

Hazy peach with a large fluffy head that dies down pretty quickly. Smell is very strong - floral and herbal characters along with a vinegary smell dominate. There is definitely some sour cherry in there, and a woody smell. Taste is more of the same. The taste is a tad muted, but well done. A tiny bit of spicy alcohol shows through but other than that it is well hidden. The sourness is mild in this brew compared to most of the Belgian lambics I've had, but the cherry taste seems to come out more, along with a vinous character. Finish is very clean with some lingering oak. Mouthfeel is spot on for the style, pretty thin. Could use a bit more carbonation. Drinks very easily. Very interesting brew.

11-08-2005 00:26:08 | More by PatYoda
lackenhauser

Maryland

4.63/5  rDev +1.5%

Pours a beautiful, cloudy, amber/pink color with a fluffy white head. A good 1/4" of head lasts the whole way down. Lovely aroma of earth with a slight mustiness, behind it all a bright "sense" of cherries. Great cherry sourness in the flavor. Spiciness abounds-somewhat peppery though NOWHERE near as "hot" spice-wise as Catillion's Rose d Gambrinus, which I liken this to. The tart/sweet combo is amazing. Great body. Quite amazing. This is a lot more my speed then the similar Catillion products. A damn fine beer and a great product by American brewers for sure.

11-05-2005 23:37:01 | More by lackenhauser
watermelonman

4.68/5  rDev +2.6%

This poured to a nice deep red orange with a head that faded quickly. There isn't much lace.

The smell is intoxicating, with cherry, oak, and wild yeast very apparent. The taste starts with a bit of malt up front with cherry on top of oak taking over quickly. Sourness remains in the mouth. The mouthfeel is tart while the drinkability is amazing.

Very tasty.

10-26-2005 22:40:25 | More by watermelonman
MuddyFeet

4.68/5  rDev +2.6%

Love goes out to BigLove for this beer.

Poured an incredibly murky brown. Really like thinned out muddy water. Thin head that dissolved almost completely but for a ring of thin bubbles around the edges.

Nose is full of cherries with some woodiness coming out towards the back of the nose.

Flavor is really nice. I got some nice flavors from the yeast. But the cherries nearly overpowered everything else and did a great job concealing the alcohol. Cherries are both sweet and sour. Slight wood flavors come out at the end.

Mouthfeel has a very dry finish. The cherries linger throughout and afterwards. Makes me think of a light red wine.

Found myself holding the bottle over my glass trying to milk out any remaining drips or drops of beer in there.

10-21-2005 01:37:54 | More by MuddyFeet
feloniousmonk

4.38/5  rDev -3.9%

Hazed, tawny, deep amber/orange, under a fizzy slab of off-whitish foam...

Oooo...sow-wer aroma, wild and funky, citrus and spice at play in the great outdoors...oooo...aaahhh!

A most unusual taste. Full bodied, and utterly weird. Bold fruit, forward and beautifully blended. Cherries are on top, but don't dominate, there's a greater complexity, made more confounding by the tartness that abounds.
Gets mellower as we sip, and wider, too...more open, spacious, ...with incessant bursts of cherry-licious flavor...me, oh, my...

This beer requires a larger bottle, and a momentous occasion, to share with special someones...drinks down deliciously...

A most stupendous creation.

10-19-2005 07:28:25 | More by feloniousmonk
WesWes

4.47/5  rDev -2%

The beer pours a cloudy burnt orange color with a 1/2" white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is great. It has a nice sour cherry scent laid over a mild malt base comprised of pale and crystal malts. The taste is awesome. It has a smooth Belgian brown ale flavor with loads of sour cherries in the taste. It goes down like candy and finishes sour and slightly warm. The mouthfeel is good. It is a medium/full bodied beer with adequate/good carbonation. This is a fantastic brew. I love everything about it. I only wish it came in bigger bottles.

10-08-2005 00:27:22 | More by WesWes
mntlover

Tennessee

4.43/5  rDev -2.9%

Want to thank RedwoodGeorge for this bottle he sent me because he said I sent him too many beers in our P to the Y trade, but thats not possible, George is a hell of a guy. Anyway...

Pours a hazy deep amber color with some red hints smaller kaki head that falls to a ring pretty fast hints of lace is it.

Aroma is musty funky wet horses brett mixed with tart fruit cherries, peaches some light vinager dry wood aromas hints of vanilla. As is warms cherries come out more also a yogurt aroma noted.

Taste is well very nice tart cherries moving right into the funky flavors puckering your mouth vinager and red wine like qualities appear and fade to dry wood flavors and hints of vanilla and a lingering tartness. So far this is the only wild ale that reminds me of a Flanders Red must be the cherries. Overall a nice beer Vinnie has here.

Mouthfeel is little lighter then medium nice dry adds to the tartness.

Drinkability is good only thing hurting this one is price I think about 10 at the Vintage Cellar when they have it. Thanks to George I now have one in my cellar :)

10-05-2005 20:00:23 | More by mntlover
Boilermaker88

4.65/5  rDev +2%

Presented in an oddly shaped 375ml bottle with a blizzard of info about the beer on the label. Turns out this was batch #001. Cost: $9.99 at Hollingshead Deli in Orange, CA.
Poured into a goblet, Supplication showed off a faintly maroon coloration, a long-lasting pink-tinged head, and lots of gummy lace. The head was easily re-formed with a quick swirl of the glass.
The nose was quite complex with a sharply sour lambic-like aroma. Cherry notes were evident as were aromas of Brett-created wet animal hides, oak wood, and the vinous notes of red wine. Very faint note of vanilla also.
Complexity doesn't let up at the nose, that's for sure! Immediate tannic acid bite infused with sour cherries. Woody mid-palate, but only briefly. Tart and slightly soured milk taste along with vino and musty funk. Red wine influence and dryness really comes across in the finish. The feel was medium/light in body, quite dry and tartly acidic.
Man, this was really good; so easily drinkable. At $10 I wanted to savor it yet had a tough time pacing myself to get the fullest enjoyment possible from the all-too-small bottle. Another gem from the creative minds at Russian River.

09-29-2005 21:14:44 | More by Boilermaker88
czechsaaz

Washington

4.8/5  rDev +5.3%

Batch 001. Poured at cellar Temp.

Aroma is very complex, Brett initially, some estery yeast character, malt and just a hint of fruit. Color is somewhere between amber and red. A little cloudy. Small but persistant head.

Initial flavor is fine sour cherry juice. Mid-palate, Brett takes over giving a tart and refreshing impression. There's a substantial caramel malt aftertaste. Further tasting includes nice oak and red-wine like flavors. No one of these flavors is dominant. They all combine to make-up an incredibly complex mixture.

Medium to full bodied. Fine evervescent carbonation. Creamy, not warming. Very pleasant to drink.

Really nice beer. Picked up a few extras to cellar. Wondering how the fruit will change as it's pretty subtle now. May fade entirely.

09-26-2005 21:33:54 | More by czechsaaz
weeare138

4.05/5  rDev -11.2%

Thanks to PWalk...
Appears an amber/orange with a small white head and streaky lacing.
Smell is of brett, wildness of tart fruit, slight oak barrel aging.
Taste is slightly vinous, wild, and sweet but sour. Maybe some cherries in the mix. Pretty complex.
Mouthfeel is smooth, wine-like, chewy but pleasant, sweet & sour.

09-23-2005 17:38:55 | More by weeare138
IceAce

4.93/5  rDev +8.1%

375ml bottle labeled 'Batch 001'

Immediately upon uncorking, the nose became most evident. Chardonnay tone from a distance, saison/gueze-like up close with a formidable Bret presence as well as sour cherries and Belgian yeast. Simply exceptional.

Reddish/orange body capped with a full finger of tiny-bubbled white foam with decent clarity for an unfiltered offering.

Silky carbonation tickles the underside of the tongue upon entryand the sour cherries are the first impression...quickly overtaken by the funky Bret and an unmistakable dryness on the center/rear of the tongue. Layer after layer of funky Bret, sweet fruits, and oak inspired dryness constitute the midtaste.

Mouthfeel is light and airey and the finish champagne dry with the funk of Bret and other bacilli lingering long after the swallow.

As this brew warms it becomes even funkier...simply out of this world!!!

09-19-2005 06:59:47 | More by IceAce
merlin48

Kentucky

4.38/5  rDev -3.9%

Oddly shaped, olive brown hued bottle is corked and caged, 12.7 oz, batch 001.
Appearance-Pours into a chalice a hazed apricot body awash with carbonation. Small offwhite head is shortlived, but leaves a shimmering chain of sheet lace to grace the rim of the chalice.
Aroma-Very Kriek-like, with tart cherries and acidic lemon. More complex than a lambic, with accents of red wine, clean yeasty funk, vinegar, and a powerful note of woody oak.
Mouthfeel- Light medium body with moderated carbonation. Tingly and tannic.
Taste- Very complex and highly detailed. Immediately tannic, sour, and acidic. Sour cherry blends with red and white grapes, atop a very oaky and woodsy character. Yeasty funk is clean, airy, and outdoorsy. Some hints of caramel malt try to balance the tartness, but without success. Lemon and tangerine notes linger on the palate.
Drinkability- This one reminds me of an oaky, Flanders Red Ale blended with a geuze. Very satisfying sipper that is quite tasty and refreshing. Complexities abound. Very expensive stuff here. I could have purchased a Rochefort 10 for the price of this one. I'm going to lay down my other bottle for a few months and see what happens.

09-17-2005 11:12:29 | More by merlin48