1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

SupplicationSupplication

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005)
Ratings: 3,945 | Reviews: 1,278 | Show All Ratings:
Knuckles_Nuclear

Missouri

4.71/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

375ml corked bottle poured into an oversized wine glass.

A- Pours a pretty reddish-brown color with a thin half-inch head that dissipated rather quickly. Not much lacing, but I was drinking it from a hotel glass of dubious cleanliness. Minimal but sufficient effervesence.

S- Definitely started with the unmistakable odor of sweet and sour cherries, with fruity notes that smacked of raisins, dates, and currants. I caught some sweet malt back there, too, but it was elusive.

T- Wow...clean, dry, tart...reminded me of a fine champagne. Very complex with a nice fresh finish that left me wanting another sip. As I savored it, I also was reminded of a fleeting bourbon-like woody taste, with a faint but perceptible spiciness. Overall, a great balance between all the flavors.

M- Outstanding. Not too thin, very crisp and dry, the tartness faded quickly, leaving a clean puckering feeling to my mouth.

O- I picked this one up from a Denver liquor store, and I had to ask for Russian River products, which they had stashed in the back. Now I know why. I wasn't disappointed. American Wid Ales are just awesome, and this is my second brew from the style. Overall, absolutely incredible, to be enjoyed any time of year. Absolutely delicious and highly recommended.

07-23-2013 03:33:17 | More by Knuckles_Nuclear
iJyuken

4.65/5  rDev +2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

375ml batch 10

A - Very little head when poured. the head that was there was creamy tan. head clings to the side of the tulip after pouring. liquid was a little lite, like a brown ale with some water added.

S -tart cherries and an oak barrel factory. Dry on the smell with tons of vinegar.

T - Sour fruit immediately cut by oak notes and dry pinot.

M - Lite body, very tart in the mouth, nice dry smoothness at the end.

O - Will seek out again, would like to see what age does and does not do to this beer. Amazing American sour...

07-22-2013 15:10:18 | More by iJyuken
elNopalero

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This beauty pours with a light golden-amber color.
There’s a lightly tart aroma to it which is immediately noticeable. The flavor has a pronounced tart/sour cherry character with a highly acidic sourness intensifying the tasting experience. Fantastic brew.

07-22-2013 07:35:47 | More by elNopalero
deereless

Colorado

4.38/5  rDev -3.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

A: Nice rusty gold in color, finger of foam off a hard pour that dropped relatively quickly, some visible sediment – 4.50, S: Cherries are very evident on the nose, soft tartness comes through as well, pinot noir is present but doesn’t dominate – 4.50, T: Quite tart, sour cherries, not the normal brett beer I’m accustomed to, woodiness is subtle, pretty dry, faint hops deep in the body, cider vinegar – 4.50, M: Mildly puckering and with a tannic dryness – 3.75, D: Hands down one of the better wild ales I’ve tasted, seek this beer out – 4.25

07-21-2013 00:29:59 | More by deereless
PhillyStyle

Georgia

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Had this on-tap at the Memphis Taproom (Philadelphia, PA):

The beer appeared a very nice dark red color with a highly carbonated, off-white head that dissipated in a matter of moments. The beer gave off a nice sour cherry aroma with a hint of something, but I can't place it. The taste of the beer is unbelievably good. Sweet and sour, with sour more dominate, cherries, a hint of alcohol. The beer had a good feel to it, light and very smooth. It left a nice dry aftertaste. Overall, an outstanding sour, which hopefully I will get to enjoy again.

I also bought a bottle at Capone's (Norristown, PA) before heading back home, since you can't get this stuff in Georgia. Bottled: 04 11 13

07-20-2013 22:45:55 | More by PhillyStyle
lunarbrew

4.43/5  rDev -2.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Pours clear amber/hazy red with little head but a nice lacing that sticks tight. Head is khaki colored.

It has a nice acidity. Cherry, red wine vinegar, Some oak. Not a huge smell as far as sours go. A little sweetness balances. Excited to drink it.

More sour than I was expecting from the nose, but not as big as some. The acidity doesn't linger long. It rounds out really quickly. There is an astringent bitterness that hits as the sourness falls of, then the cherry flavor sets in. This flavor is very raw and natural. I don't get a lot of juiciness, but instead I get a cherry flesh flavor. Really nice. Flavors are cherry (of course), red wine vinegar, green apple, and lemon. Also taste some oakiness, but again, this is a very raw (wood bark) flavor.

Medium-high carb medium body, and I swear I feel some tannin on my tongue from the cherry and pinot noir. I also get the tannin bitterness. Really nice.

This was an excellent beer. To me, it didn't quite live up to the hype, but I still really enjoyed that complex and raw flavors. No doubt that this beer is complicated. Nice sourness that's not over the top. A pretty easy drinker, actually.

07-17-2013 02:48:36 | More by lunarbrew
Ri0

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

poured 375 mL bottle marked with a 12/17/12 bottling date into a Teku.

A - Dark ruby brown with 1.5 finger off white head. Dissipates into a thick collar that remains for the session as streams of bubbles travel up from the bottom. Little to no lacing.

S - Wicked tart cherries and notes of oak barrel. I get wiffs of Pinot and sour apple. Some faint acidic red vinegar is in there.

T - Big blast of sour cherry right away, sour apples and some vinegar and lemon follow. Smooths out in the middle with some oak, wine and sour grape. Minimal sweetness is present. Finishes with a good sour note.

M - Lighter body with a dry and tart finish that lingers for a bit. Carbonation is very good.

O - Very good sour beer that gets a good bit of flavor from the added cherries and aging in the wine barrels. Definitely deserves its spot in top 10 of the top 250 of BA.

07-14-2013 17:20:45 | More by Ri0
DAllspaw

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

On tap at RR brewpub while on vacation. A fairly light clear brown with some tan head. Light body and mouthfeel but the most complex, layered sour I have tried thus far. Reminds me a it of morning wood from against the grain brewery, albeit not as dark, but similar.

07-13-2013 00:45:49 | More by DAllspaw
LambicPentameter

Kansas

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Enjoyed out of a brown 375 mL bottle marked with a 12/17/12 bottling date. Poured into a Boulevard Smokestack edition tulip glass.

Appearance - Body is a translucent brown with bits of sediment and highlights of rust and burnt ochre. Holding the light behind it reveals raspberry red highlights. Head is a little less than a finger of bubbly, sudsy head the color of faded rose quartz. Dissipates fairly quickly leaving little to no lacing.

Smell - Notes of sour cherries and faint cinnamon along with the backbone of pinot aroma and hints if wine-like tannins. I also detect some notes of apple cider vinegar peeking through as well.

Taste - Tartness up front, with notes of green apple and lemon that evolves into a more complex depth of flavor, with some grape must and elements of malty sweetness to balance the sourness. Sour flavor profiles stand out more as the beer warms.

Mouthfeel - Slightly puckering, with a high level of effervescence and a medium-to-light body. Finish is mostly dry, with a slightly sweet lingering aftertaste.

Overall, a fantastic sour beer that has a good balance of sour and fruit. I would drink this all the time if it was easily attainable.

07-11-2013 02:06:27 | More by LambicPentameter
rickyleepotts

Arizona

4.35/5  rDev -4.6%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is our last beer from Russian River. This is also the highest rated on BeerAdvocate. We need to take a trip to the Russian River Valley so we can visit the brewery. Their beers are made in pretty small batches, and they don't get great distribution. I landed this, and all of the other beers from them, in a trade. Speaking of trades, I just bought 14 bottles/cans tonight for a massive trade I am doing with Ashley Bower. REALLY looking forward to that one. She is sending us a bottle of Mexican Cake. It's not on the list, but I am pumped to try it.

It was cool learning about the owners of Russian River Brewing Company and their love for Pinot Noir wine. I like Pinot Noir, too. This beer was aged for a year in Pinot Noir barrels. I am fickle when it comes to barrel aged beers, but I have some pretty big expectations for this one. I bet this is sour, too. I could smell this as I was pouring it… and it smells quite sour. I am going to stop talking… let's drink!

In the Glass: This is quite carbonated, and it was producing a ton of bubbles and a nice thick white head as I was pouring it. I could smell, as I was pouring it, the subtle sourness that I am looking forward to. The head just sits there and while the beer doesn't have much lace, the head makes me want to grab a spoon and start eating! I hope this beer smells good.

Oh, the beer has a nice amber color to it. I am sure some of that color comes from the Pinot Noir barrels. It says on the bottle that this is aged 9 to 15 months. I wonder how they decide how long to age a particular beer like this.

Nose: It doesn't smell as sour as I expected it to. I am getting some of those tannins that you get when smelling a well balanced Pinot Noir. In the back of my mind I want this to taste more like a glass of wine than a beer. The bubbles, however, leave me to think I am going to have an experience as if I was drinking champagne. A second sniff has me smelling more fruit and I am sure it reads weird, but it smells expensive. Is that weird?

Flavor: The beer is not as carbonated as I expected it to be, but it is quite sour. Good thing I like sour beers. There is a lot going on here with the flavor and it really changes as it slides across your palate. There are some bubbles when it first hits your lips, and then it begins to really open up as you swallow. There is a ton of flavor in the aftertaste, too, leaving this beer a wide range of awesome! The sour quickly fades leaving you a hint of those tannin that I keep talking about.

Mouthfeel: There are a ton of bubbles at first, but it's not overwhelming. I wouldn't recommend swishing this around in your mouth much. I did that on my second sip, and the sour flavor really comes through. But the bubbles become overwhelming. If you don't like sour beers, stay away. As you swallow, the beer mellows out and you are left with a nice thin layer of sweetness every time you swallow. This beer is well produced and that is obvious every step of the way.

Aftertaste: That is my favorite part of this beer. As soon as you swallow you are hit with some subtle dryness that just coats your tongue with flavor. I have been sitting on this last sip for a good 5 minutes and I feel/taste like I just took a sip. I don't know the process of aging a beer in a wine barrel, but there has got to be some trial and error to realize the beer is ready after 9 months or not quite ready until it hits 15 months.

Speaking of barrel aged beers, the last time we tried Sirius Black, a killer beer from Four Peaks Brewing Company, I talked with someone from the brewery. He said the batch we were trying, at a tap takeover at Hops On Birch, had been aged for 12 months in a barrel. I am not sure I could be that patient pouring a beer as good as Sirius Black into a barrel just to wait a year! That is what makes cellering beer so tough.

We can't get Russian River beers here, but if we could I would be broke. This, along with all the other "-ation" beers we have tried/reviewed, is great. The more sour the better. Cheers, people!

07-03-2013 04:44:42 | More by rickyleepotts
MGoBlue93

4.95/5  rDev +8.6%

Awesome beer. Reminded me of Berliner Weise from Germany. I had it last Sunday at Russian River's pub in Santa Rosa, California.

Here is how they describe the beer on their beer chart:

Supplication: It is a brown ale aged for 12-15 months in used Pinot Noir barrels with Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus and Pediococcus yeast strains added to each barrel. It also has sour cherries added to the barrel. The sour cherries and flavor from the Pinot Noir barrels dominate the aroma and flavor with a mild acidity and dry finish. 7 percent ABV.

I had it as part of a beer flight - and then followed that up with a pint of the beer. Really unique. You can taste the Brettanomyces which I think produces the sweet/sour taste. The cherry taste was also dominant.

We went to Russian River to drink the Pliny the Elder Double IPA - which is an excellent beer - but I may have enjoyed this beer more than the Pliny.

06-29-2013 22:10:38 | More by MGoBlue93
DrewskiWhit

4.49/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Usually only do full reviews if its really good, really bad or a top want. This was a top want for me. It also happened to be really good.

A very very nice. Bright orange color around the rim as i poured.

S musty. a little funky but not as pungent as i would have thought based on other reviews

T tart!!! It is sour but i would describe it as tart as opposed to sour. Got lots of tart cherries and a funky oaky note. very nice. bitter dry puckering aftertaste.

M again very nice. much less carbonation than other sours ive had

O very good beer. This bottle was only a few months old. With a little age this beer would be incredible. As it is, its very good. I thought it was much more drinkable than consecration and although it is very tart/sour, it could be a good intro to sours for the average ba.

06-29-2013 03:30:30 | More by DrewskiWhit
JonathanC

4.99/5  rDev +9.4%

Supplication is a fine crafted beer, which provides you with a unique output. This beer is indeed a favorite, and I BELIEVE by far one of the best sours I've come across.

This beer when opened provided a great smell of tart and cherries. Moving foward, we poured the gleaming off centered gold into our tulip glasses. We then drank. As it hit my pallet I was amazed by the light sour yet flavorful filled beer that possesed me. Why not add that last cherry tart taste to top it off, well they did it and they Russian River did this one right.

Never would pass a bottle of this, I would never trade a bottle of this, and Never would I not open it for a very special occasion.

06-25-2013 14:41:57 | More by JonathanC
dar482

4.49/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

The beer has a golden hazy bronze color.

The aroma is vinegar tart, but really huge on the fruit character. Not as red wine as Consecration. It’s definitely more sour, more sweet, and more sweet than Consecration.

The flavor is hugely. You get a bit of the wine character, but Pinot does not stand out as much as Cabernet for Consecration. The cherry is not huge in there, but you do get a hint of it in the back. The beer is not for those who do not like sours. It really is strongly puckering. One of the most sours beers I’ve had.

The mouthfeel is quite light on this. It does not have a huge carbonation. Despite being in a longer time than Consecration, it does not have as big of wine characteristic.

I was actually a bit disappointed by this. I do love the fruit and sweetness, but the sourness is a bit strong. It could use more complexity. Still a wonderful beer.

06-20-2013 05:42:43 | More by dar482
taylor714914

4.89/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Aw yea, straight deliciousness right here. Poured a deep ruby with a frothly head that subsided quickly. Smells of fruity cherries, barnyard/hay, funk, and tart cherries. Taste shines right with the smell with a glorious burst of dark cherry, morphing into tart cherry, then transforming into a beautiful barnyard funk, with some horseblanket and hay, followed by wet dirt (think moist turned up soil), and light lactic sourness. Mouthfeel is spot on, bracing carbonation that carries the flavors around without being too abrasive. Must buy, must try for the sour fan.

06-18-2013 23:03:34 | More by taylor714914
peensteen

Ontario (Canada)

4.53/5  rDev -0.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Bottle from Rutager

Brownish red colour, ring of off white head, not much in the way of lace. Smell is Full of cherry and oak, funky, tart acidity, fruity and some light balsamic with only a little bit of sweetness. Taste is funky, lots of tart cherry flavours, fairly big puckering sourness to it, oak and wine flavours, more cherry in the aftertaste. Medium high carbonation, medium body. Just fantastic, no trace of alcohol at all, just a straight up excellent sour, 375ml is too easy to drink.

06-17-2013 14:00:42 | More by peensteen
EliotRosewater

4.79/5  rDev +5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Bottled on 4/11/13. Drunk on 6/16/13.

A - gorgeous ruby, copper color. Different hues are picked up when looked at in different lights. Little head and lacing.

S - sweet mother of cherries. Straight up morello cherries all over the hizzy. The usual sour/lambic aromas are present (vinegar, barnyard funk, acidic wine), but it's the cherries that comes through and sets this apart.

T - boom. Cherries, mang. Tart, puckering vinegary, wine, Pinot, gruner veltliner (comes to mind), oak is there but a little hidden.

M - refreshing, crisp, light champagne-like effervescence. Great lingering finish. For me, not overly sour but perfectly tart.

O - my first time trying Supplication and I really wanted to try it "fresh". Not sure how it will age but the cherries just come blasting through. From my limited experience, this doesn't quite drink like a traditional kriek. It seemingly has its own identity that simply relies on cherries (as well as the funky bacteria, oak, Pinot). So distinct and special.

06-17-2013 03:34:17 | More by EliotRosewater
metter98

4.55/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: The beer is hazy brownish red in color. It poured with a half finger high beige head that has excellent retention properties and hardly died down, consistently leaving a thin head covering the surface.
S: Moderate to strong aromas of Pinot Noir barrels are present in the nose along with notes of oak.
T: The taste is similar to the smell and also has notes of sourness and cherries, the latter of which particularly stand out in the finish.
M: It feels medium-bodied and a little acidic on the palate with a moderate amount of carbonation.
O: I really enjoyed the balance and complexity of this beer as you could taste all of the flavors in equal proportions.

06-15-2013 19:21:43 | More by metter98
Benish

4.95/5  rDev +8.6%

Bottled 12/17/12. Poured into snifter glass. Beer had the color of dark orange or dark ruby-like. A couple mm thick head is present. It's a pretty solid foam that appears to be going no where for a while. There is some sediment at the bottom but partly my fault the way I poured it.

Smell: Definitely funky! It's honestly hard to describe but the best I can come up with is fermented tart cherries. Just taking a whiff of this smell and I think whoa something was a lot of fermentation happening in there. There is also notable wine characteristics.

Taste: At first when I take a sip, the sourness and tartness just slaps me across the face. It's almost pungent but in a palatable way plus a bitter component as I move the beer around the mouth. Plenty of sweetness, possibly from the cherries. Wow! Every swallow of a mouthful of this beer is one attack after another. It stays tart the entire time. There are also tart cherries that is easily noticeable. I'm new to sours but this really impressed me. After I finish a sip of the beer I get some flavor of dried cherries at the back of the tongue. The acidity of this beer stays after I finish the sip.

Mouthfeel: it has a medium mouthfeel to it and moderately carbonated.

Overall: This is one heck of a sour beer. Like I said, I've never had many sours so I won't ever forget this one. I hope I can get this again.

06-12-2013 02:22:05 | More by Benish
montrealbcr89

Quebec (Canada)

4.8/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Big thanks for rutager for this one!

A: Pours a brownish orange with a 3/4 finger off-white head with small bubbles. Head fades quickly. In the glass, this thing is a beautiful reddish-copper with brown notes.

S: You really have to get in there to get a good nose on this one, but when you do - wow. Sweet, tart cherries, little bit of vinegar, definite funk with some leather notes. Really nice.

T: Whoa. Hang on. Balance. Right up front, you are hit with the tartness. And then some funk. But towards the end, you get some sweet cherry and fruit notes. Some definite wine notes from the barrels. The funk adds another dimension to this beer. terrific stuff.

M: Pretty much perfect. Not too carbonated, very refreshing.

O: Super impressed. This one is a winner. I keep delving deeper into the "tion" series, and continue to be very pleased. I would have this any time. Great stuff!

06-09-2013 00:18:16 | More by montrealbcr89
BrianJohnson

South Carolina

This beer is absolutely amazing. The smell reminded me of some very good wines I've had. I can't say I've every smelled a beer that had that familiar a smell of a really good wine. Even my wife, who is much more a vinophile than I am, smelled it, she was impressed. Combine that with a phenomenal sour ale, and you've got a sure winner. Absolutely phenomenal, perfect beer. If I could find a stock of this, I'd buy everything they had.

06-08-2013 18:27:06 | More by BrianJohnson
JohnnyHopps

4.66/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Realistically, it is almost not fair how close to perfection this beer is. For the style, it hits and nearly surpasses many of the characteristics. This is a textbook example of the style.

Poured from the bottle into a snifter, the beer was a deep magenta color with a slight bubbly white head. The aroma, best described as a flowery cherry aroma, was enchanting. In the initial taste, one detects notes of tart and sour cherry, grape skin, sour grapes, sour fruit, and a hint of vanilla from the barrel aging. The vanilla notes come to the front more as the beer progresses toward the aftertaste. The pleasantly acidic mouthfeel is allowed to linger momentarily as the ale's thickness lingers on the back of the tongue. I could easily drink this sour before any other. I like it a lot.

06-07-2013 23:38:54 | More by JohnnyHopps
tbdkev

4.83/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Though listed as a wild ale, I'll go out on a limb and say that this is what every sour should aim for in terms of profile. It pours a burned red-orange to pink with some lacing. The aroma is out of this world. There are definite hints of cherry and pinot noir as advertised, but I also pick up a hint of eggnog, oddly enough. The taste follows the aroma. There's a definite mouth-puckering cherry tartness that quickly fades to a dry, clean finish. The sourness is very pronounced, and I think it may mask other flavors that are present. Nevertheless, this is one of the best sours I've ever had.

06-07-2013 19:40:42 | More by tbdkev
joslin2a

4.63/5  rDev +1.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: A very nice amber color. Foam is a skin tone. Lacing was pretty nice looked like a big ring off foam then seperates into little sexy streams that go down the glass. It has one finger of foam that likes to hang, but knows when to leave.

Smell: Smell is nice. I get that very nice pinot noir smell with a little funk, as in 70's popular good funk. Sour cherries of course come through. That sourness just makes my mouth water though.

Taste: OH MY GOD! This was my first introduction into wild ale. What a start! I want to buy as much at my secret location as I can. What a wonderful elixir this drink is. First I get hit with this wonderful taste of tart but sweet ranier cherries with that juicy acidity of a peach and a little hint of a granny smith apples with the texture of a red delicious. Hmmm... I want a nice tart granny smith right now. Then it changes into this little leathery spicey, I felt a faint vanilla presence and a little bitterness like the white fleshy part of grapefruit, wonderful oaky pinot noir that then introduces and pairs well with the yeastiness and then you get a hint of the malt on the finish. That sour grape cherry pinot mixture turned that funky yeast into something fantastic. Try an onion dish with it and you will get a taste akin to dried snap peas. You can taste the alcohol if you look for it, but why look for it and just enjoy this fantastic flavor

Mouth feel: The mouthfeel is very sweet and juicy. The alcohol is almost non-present. The body is a medium light feel. With perky carbonation. Good feel overall.

Overall: What nice intro to wild ales. Definitely one of my top beers I have tasted so far. I will return! Glad I forked out the money for this masterpiece of a brewsky.

06-06-2013 08:58:58 | More by joslin2a
joefuzz

4.61/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

pours light red with minimal head. Smells like red wine light slightly tart smelling. Taste is dominated by a tart bite that mellows to a nice cherry oak aftertaste. Mouthfeel is light and carbonation is there but very soft. Overall this beer is amazing, so well balanced and dangerously drinkable.

06-06-2013 02:33:33 | More by joefuzz