2. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

SupplicationSupplication

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,946 | Reviews: 1,278 | Show All Ratings:
Franch

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

this is described by RR as "Brown Ale aged in French oak Pinot Noir barrels with three strains of Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, Pediococcus and sour cherries." it was also my first real sour (i.e. not the duchesse or monk's flemish.) i decided this was the place and beer to try it with. i wasn't disappointed. it was really, really good. it's hard for me to evaluate it because of my lack of sour expertise, but i thoroughly enjoyed it and look forward to trying other RR sour offerings that i brought back with me from seattle.

06-16-2011 04:48:02 | More by Franch
schinebd

4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

Batch 3

A - A cloudy burnt brownish color that sits squarely between a belgian pale and belgian dark. A moderate brownish white head builds and recedes quickly, with a little that retains and remains. Unique.

S - Certainly a tart aroma from the cherries and smorgasbord of other fruit underscored by biscuity spice and some wet leather brett aroma. Sweet, earthy, funky and spicy, with each facet taking its proper place.

T - Having had Temptation recently, I was anxious to see if Supplication was both as distinct and excellent as her blonde sister. Amazingly the answer is yes. Up front is some intense sour and tartness. It takes a few sips to get past the sourness and get the heart of this brew. The sourness gives way to some caramel malt bread taste. Some mild funk sticks its head in to say hello somewhere in the middle, but the Brett makes a quick visit, and goes as fast as he came. In the end is a nice rise of pure sweetness from cherries, grapes, melons oh my which goes against some yeast spice. Some oakiness lives in the breath.

M & D - Light/medium bodied with just the right balance of carbonation and smoothness to enhance the flavors. The sourness dries the tongue right out, and the flavors make you yearn for the next sip. A winning combination, but I'm not looking the empty glass that my future soon holds.

09-24-2009 02:02:51 | More by schinebd
ocmpoma

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured into a tumbler at a friend's house. Thanks, Ty!

The beer poured out a wonderfully dark reddish brown, with a bit of film and very strong lacing. The aroma was delicious: fruit and malt sweetness, complex and finishing up with a bit of spice.

This beer has phenomenal flavor: sour up front with bitterness following and a long, lingering and delicious aftertaste of fruit and spice. Absolutely wonderful taste. The mouthfeel was also robust and spot-on for the beer, Russian River has delivered again. While this is certainly no chugging or session beer, I would have loved to crack open another bottle and sip my way through it.

04-04-2010 20:34:11 | More by ocmpoma
Estocker

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

WOW

I have had the opportunity to try this on tap and in the bottle quite a few times and it never ceases to amaze me every single time I have it.

Pours a deep brown with red highlights. Looks like rotten cherry juice, in the best way.

Smells fantastic. Cherries, lots of tart acidity in the nose, a little bit of vinegar but it is subdued. There's a little bit of funk to it as well.

Taste is even better, no, MUCH better than the nose. This is possibly one of the most complex beers I've ever had, but I can't really tell... I'm too busy enjoying how amazing it tastes to care about complexity. Cherries. Tart, TART, yummy, sour, delicious cherries but not too fruity. Some of the wine taste comes in as well. If you're a wine lover, then you'll enjoy this. It's reminiscent of Rodenbach Grand Cru if you're looking for something to compare it to if you've never had it, but it is SO MUCH better. I get lost drinking this beer, and I can't get enough of it.

I'm literally thinking about moving out to Santa Rosa just so I can go to the Russian River brewpub and drink this every day.

12-08-2010 06:16:13 | More by Estocker
jeffmart22

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

A - Pours a clear ruby orange with a two finger head that dissipates to just a thin layer. The lacing is light to moderate. Nice amount of carbonation streaming up from the bottom of the glass.

A - Tart and sour smelling. Slight hint of the Pinot Noir barrels. Tart cherry aroma. Also a nice earthly spice aroma from the wild yeast. Very interesting smelling beer.

T - Wow, extremely tart and sour. Sours Cherry. Drinks like a dry white wine only more funky. Sour from start to finish. Becomes easier to drink with every sip. Finished very dry.

M - Medium in body. Carbonated very well. Flavor duration is long.
Mouth watering.

O - One of the most interesting beers I've had. You gotta enjoy sours to like this one.

01-14-2012 19:53:33 | More by jeffmart22
BeerStine

4.33/5  rDev -5%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch 003. 12.7 oz bottle poured into a tulip. $16.99 kinda pricy. Hope it's good.

A slow pout produces a amber brown with an off-white fluffy head. Smells of apples and white wine. Light musky malts smell too. Taste is intense! A very tart flavor. Makes my checks tingle. Tastes like it smells: apples and white wine. I can defiantly taste the malts too. The oak barrels definitely help bring all the flavors together. Plenty of balancing hops that increases the viscosity of my saliva. Mouth feel is light with lots of carbonation. If you let it wonder, you can feel the bubbles form all over your tongue and mouth. Drinkability is better than most wine/beers. I think the aging in oak barrels have contributed to the drinkablilty.

02-17-2009 03:16:14 | More by BeerStine
InspectorBob

4.63/5  rDev +1.5%

Batch 005X5

Poured a reddish/brown color like a port wine with about one finger of an off white head that left lacing throughout. The smell is of cherries with some fruity funkiness, perhaps some fig and some subtle woodness.

The taste was sour but not as sour as expected. A great sour taste that stayed all the way through. A very smooth mouthfeel with the carbonation just right. Very nice and smooth to drink. I need more of this...

10-11-2010 19:36:18 | More by InspectorBob
BS68280

South Carolina

4.28/5  rDev -6.1%

From a bottle khiasmus was kind enough to hook me up with. I decided I might as well open this one up on Christmas day, I've been waiting a long time to try this one. Poured into a snifter.

A: A cloudy slightly orange brown with about half an inch of off white head. The head stays around in a thin layer (at least it has so far) and leaves nice lacing behind.

S: First smell and I get that nice mouth watering sour smell. Smells very tart and some cherries. Maybe hints of sour apple.

T: Very sour but not quite pucker up forehead sweat sour. The sour fades and leaves a great cherry aftertaste.

M: Pretty thin, very strong lactic presence makes me think my teeth are losing enamel with each sip. Perfect level of carbonation leaves adds to the great mouthfeel.

D: Gets easier to drink as it goes. I have to think a couple bottles would tear up your stomach though.

12-25-2010 16:59:55 | More by BS68280
jm1229

4.93/5  rDev +8.1%

Bottle poured into my Stone IRS tulip. Batch 7.

A- Lively carbonation quickly settles and leaves no lacing. Rusty orange color with hints of red.

S- Cherries, oak, grapes, apples. SOUR! Oh man, this smells amazing. My mouth is watering.

T- Follows the nose completely. Cherries, oak, grapes/wine (no doubt from the Pinot). It's so sour; more so than any other sour I've had to date. World class.

M- Prickly carbonation coats the tongue. Perfect amount. So drinkable, I'm afraid this bottle (or my other 3) will not last nearly as long as they should.

O- One of my all time favorite beers. Ever since I had this with my friends at RR, it's been on of "those" beers for us. Wish it was cheaper (and easier to find), but I'll take what I can get.

08-26-2011 07:25:36 | More by jm1229
Jenkster4

4.88/5  rDev +7%

A: Pours a semi hazy brownish color Nice bubbles flowing from the bottom
S: Tart cherries, funk, fruity esters, strong funky cherry sourness dominates.
T: Follows the nose. Tart cherries, lemon zest, sour apple, and a slight oak note in the back of the palate. Really balanced. Not too sour, but just enough to get you hooked.
M: Pretty decent carbonation, dry mouthfeel, medium bodied.
O: This is pretty delicious. As it warmed sat for a while I got more of the oak in the nose as well as the flavor. It's pretty complex and just damn good. Only complaint was the price, and of course I had to drive to Philly to pick it up.

01-09-2012 01:21:54 | More by Jenkster4
DrewskiWhit

Indiana

4.49/5  rDev -1.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Usually only do full reviews if its really good, really bad or a top want. This was a top want for me. It also happened to be really good.

A very very nice. Bright orange color around the rim as i poured.

S musty. a little funky but not as pungent as i would have thought based on other reviews

T tart!!! It is sour but i would describe it as tart as opposed to sour. Got lots of tart cherries and a funky oaky note. very nice. bitter dry puckering aftertaste.

M again very nice. much less carbonation than other sours ive had

O very good beer. This bottle was only a few months old. With a little age this beer would be incredible. As it is, its very good. I thought it was much more drinkable than consecration and although it is very tart/sour, it could be a good intro to sours for the average ba.

06-29-2013 03:30:30 | More by DrewskiWhit
eclectic

375ml bottle marked batch 001

Cork comes off with a pop, releasing a sour flemish like aroma. Pours an enticing burnt amber/cherry color with a tiny head that quickly vanishes leaving minimal lacing. Musty, funky aroma of cherry and oak... Mildly sweet acidic flavor that quickly transforms into a lambic like tartness.

As if they took some of the best qualities of my favorite krieks, guezes, and sour flemish ales and blended them into one with a dash of complexity and smoothness that makes this go down incredibly easy.

A shame the bottle is so small, as this is extremely enjoyable... wish I had more than half a bottle to taste, but glad niftypat shared it with me.. definetly need to find some more bottles of this

07-04-2005 19:27:06 | More by eclectic
ASymon13

Colorado

4.08/5  rDev -10.5%

It pours a pleasant amber color witha nice fluffy slightly off-white head to it. There is a good amount of carbonation rising up giving the head some nice retention. It leaves some fairly thick lacing as it recedes. It has a very dry smell consisting mostly of sour cherries. Notes of a dry white wine give it some nice complexity.

The first sip is very tart, with a slight cherry finish to it. It definitely has some solid bite to it. The more it warms up the more the wine-like qualities of the beer come through, and the tartness mellows somewhat. Some light phenols and hints of brown sugar are there as well. The carbonation is rich and gives it an excellent mouthfeel. Overall, excellent beer.

06-05-2008 06:08:05 | More by ASymon13
biggied

4.63/5  rDev +1.5%

A. Color is a real burnt orange. Head has a slight brownish yellow to it. Decent lacing. Nice sedement floating in the glass. Real small stuff that you might not notice unless you were looking for it.

S. Smell is yeast. Lots of different yeast. Floral, citrus, sweet.

T. Wow! Very acidic. Very tart. A little sweetness but not much. Dried cherries come through a little. Tangy for sure.

MF. Reminds me a little of champagne flavors.
This one brings only bliss as its lasting effect.

D. For such a tart beer, I could drink this one all day.

08-13-2010 03:11:54 | More by biggied
Jef59

4.53/5  rDev -0.7%

A - a deep red-orange with a half inch of white head. The head leaves a lot of delicate thready lacing.

S - smells of cherries and tangy berries with a little wheat.

T - Let me start by saying that I love beer, and I love wine, so this is what heaven is like. Upon the first sip, my tastebuds were submerged into a vinous nirvana of sour cherries, and wheat. As I continued, flavors of berries and jam complimented hints of vanilla with a citrus-like zing and some spice.

M/D - This is like the best of both worlds! It has the rich thickness or wine and the carbonation of beer. A little heavy but I would definitely go for another.

This is one of those beers that you run into that just completely changes your appreciation for beer. Out of all the beers I have had, this is my favorite.

09-14-2010 23:51:54 | More by Jef59
msmezher

4.43/5  rDev -2.9%

Supplication, by Russian River fits well into their line-up. As in it's damn near incredible. Aptly described, strong aromas of cherries and oak, with tastes to match. The beer is slightly sour tasting, but even stronger sourness to the smell. A highly refined package, and a treat whenever afforded. Russian River doesn't mess around, and neither should you. So drink Russian River. A premium beer with very classic sour notes, well aged, with a fine wood finish. (By the way, I think this is my worst review for a Russian River beer, so really, if you have the chance drink everything you can by them)

09-24-2010 09:55:13 | More by msmezher
fewa

4.22/5  rDev -7.5%

Batch 003 bottle The beer pours a nice golden-caramel color with a thin head that diminished quickly. Smell: tart, cherry-apple aroma with undertones of oak. Taste, nice and complex: Sweet, smooth entry leads into a tart, semi-funky cherry and sweet apple. Oak and yeast flavors become apparent on the finish; Drying and semi-puckering. Very nice beer

04-11-2011 19:21:06 | More by fewa
sixthglass

Indiana

4.4/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I found out quickly I'm not much of a sour fan, Maybe my tastes haven't fully developed yet. But it was fantastic for its style.

A- Hazey orange color, alot of carbonation, and good amount of lacing.

S- It really does smell sour ! I smelled some funky grass type stuff, the carbonation bubbles actually got in my nostrils while smelling this... almost died.

T- Cherries, malts, wood, yeast, and funk.

M- It coats the mouth, but fades quickly.. leaving a tart funky aftertaste.

D- As I said earlier, I will need time to warm up to this style, but it was really good... just unusual for me.

08-31-2011 22:59:06 | More by sixthglass
beerfan99

4.96/5  rDev +8.8%

Batch 4x1 - 375 ml bottle

A: Amber/Orange/Red in color and clear. Perfectly carbonated to create a short-term white head.

S: Incredible sour smell, can't miss the brett here. The sour cherries and oak barrel aromas come through. Have a hard time smelling the Pinot Noir.

T: Absolutely amazing. More than lives up to its sour smell. Very tart. This my definition of a sour bomb.

M: Well carbonated to provide bubbly feel to the palate.

O: Currently, this is my favorite wild ale from Russian River. I have been lucky enough to have multiple vintages of Supplication. Based on my experience, the vintages are very consistent and age well for several years. Batch 4 is drinking really well these days.

09-02-2011 04:47:29 | More by beerfan99
Knuckles_Nuclear

Missouri

4.71/5  rDev +3.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

375ml corked bottle poured into an oversized wine glass.

A- Pours a pretty reddish-brown color with a thin half-inch head that dissipated rather quickly. Not much lacing, but I was drinking it from a hotel glass of dubious cleanliness. Minimal but sufficient effervesence.

S- Definitely started with the unmistakable odor of sweet and sour cherries, with fruity notes that smacked of raisins, dates, and currants. I caught some sweet malt back there, too, but it was elusive.

T- Wow...clean, dry, tart...reminded me of a fine champagne. Very complex with a nice fresh finish that left me wanting another sip. As I savored it, I also was reminded of a fleeting bourbon-like woody taste, with a faint but perceptible spiciness. Overall, a great balance between all the flavors.

M- Outstanding. Not too thin, very crisp and dry, the tartness faded quickly, leaving a clean puckering feeling to my mouth.

O- I picked this one up from a Denver liquor store, and I had to ask for Russian River products, which they had stashed in the back. Now I know why. I wasn't disappointed. American Wid Ales are just awesome, and this is my second brew from the style. Overall, absolutely incredible, to be enjoyed any time of year. Absolutely delicious and highly recommended.

07-23-2013 03:33:17 | More by Knuckles_Nuclear
aquazr1

4.26/5  rDev -6.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

375ml bottle serves in a tulip.

A - Pours a dark amber color with a nice white foamy head. Nice head retention but little lacing.

S - Pick up the cherries immediately. Lovely aroma.

T - Nicely soured so as not to overwhelm.

M - Medium bodied with excellent carbonation.

O - A well done sour. This bottle was dated 10/21/13. Going to put away a couple to see how they age.

12-18-2013 04:24:41 | More by aquazr1
b3barron

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

Served in an oversized wine glass.

A - Nice fluffy white, two-finger head with decent lacing. Reddish orange color with good clarity.

S - Cherry big time. Reminds me of cherry jolly rancher candy. Plenty of oak too and maybe a hint of chocolate.

T - Rhubarb. Tart apple and raspberry. Lots of funk. A very distinct earthiness and plenty of oak. Surprisingly I can pick up on some hops about halfway through. A puckering tartness lingers. I like it a lot.

M - Smooth and light-bodied.

D - Tough to rate as these aren't session beers for me. It is very quenching but I don't think I''d care for much more than what is in the 375 ml bottle.

Overall, a fantastic beer that I am joyous to have had the opportunity to drink. If I am in RR's neck of the woods I would probably seek out another bottle but at a $17 price tag I won't be stocking up.

03-08-2009 02:11:25 | More by b3barron
AshleyMiller

Vermont

4.47/5  rDev -2%

batch 007 poured into my stone snifter

a - pours a burnt autumn red with no head, although a steady stream of bubbles coming up

s - sour cherries and apple cider vinegar with a hint of caramel

t - amazing. super tart and mouth-puckering, plenty of apple cider vinegar mixed with lip-smacking cherries. on the sweeter side which complements the tart sourness nicely

m - dry, medium carbonation make this oh so drinkable, with the alcohol almost missing

o - it lives up to the hype. i'll always want more and always gladly will drink this stuff when i'm looking for my sour fix. typical russian river

12-15-2011 00:45:28 | More by AshleyMiller
pjs234

Connecticut

4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

Batch 008

A - A very careful and slow pour results in a monstrous three to four finger head. The head is very fluffy and hangs out for a while before fading away with hardly any lacing. The beer itself if a cloudy copper color with constant carbonation bubbles streaming to the surface

S - Holy tart batman... made my mouth water excessively. Smells of apples, grapes and cherries. Can tell this one will be sour.

T - Very tart and sour on first sip, but some sweetness is present as the sip progresses. The sour flavors come from the cherries. The finish is very nice. Also, this beer hides the 7% ABV very well, as there is no noticeable alcohol flavors.

M - Very light and crisp mouthfeel. Very carbonated and actually a tad refreshing. Very drinkable.

O - I have always liked sours and this one just cements that feeling. I really enjoyed this and wish that this beer were available around here.

02-26-2012 03:41:33 | More by pjs234
i4ourgot

4.14/5  rDev -9.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Great beer very complex both in the aroma and the flavor. The aroma is cherry with some brett spiciness that is much more subdued in the flavor of the beer. The beer had lots of carbonation but not as much as champagne. The beer was dry with some sweetness and lots of fruit flavor with cherry being the dominant fruit flavor. The beer was sour but it was not overwhelming. The beer finishes tart with a slight bitterness. The beer had a ruby red/ caramel color to it. I was very impressed with this beer and I really enjoyed it.

02-22-2014 17:49:40 | More by i4ourgot