Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

SupplicationSupplication

Wants: 2,128
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

(Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros

tsauce2, Oct 05, 2013

teamwiggum, Jun 15, 2014
4.47/5  rDev -2.2%

I had this on tap at Russian River Brewery.

Appearance- brownish color, thin head

Smell- sour aroma, wood, cherries

Taste- sour flavor, cherries, wood

Mouthfeel- medium bodied

Drinkability- This was really good. It's one of my wife's favorite beers.

jeffjeff1, Aug 18, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -7%

anticipation23, Nov 15, 2013

Denzo, Apr 12, 2014
4.4/5  rDev -3.7%

I'm excited to try this, I've only had one other RR sour.

A- There was a huge pop when I let the cork fly. Good carbination in the glass. A nice head formed, about an inch, and it's pretty frothy and tightly nit. The glass has a lot of carbination action going on in the beer itself. A nice amber color nestles itself within my glass.

S- The sourness is there for sure. A lacto smell is there, reminds me of a cherry tums in a strange way. A nice oak smell with the presence of the pino for sure along with the sour cherry taste that floats around. Pretty complex nose.

T- Good clean beer taste, very crisp and refreshing. The sourness sits and waits till the end to pounce and pucker the tongue. This is a sour beast, almost like sucking on sour lemons. The sourness even lingers on my teeth, gums and down my throat. My most recent taste made my eye twitch, whew. The sourness is so overwhelming that I'm not getting too much of the other flavors. But this is tasty.

M- Besides the mouth puckering sourness the carbination is totally awesome and helps this beer out a great deal.

D- Easy to drink, but the sourness does slow down the drinking of the beer, but I want to enjoy this as it is.

Wetpaperbag, Feb 18, 2010
4.68/5  rDev +2.4%

Batch 5 into Russian River "tion" glass

Maybe it looks better to me than other beers because I love it so much, but the reddish, amber color is just enticing.

Lots going on in the aroma. More than I can probably detect, but I get the cherries, vinegar, and warning of acidity.

Tartness is the first thing I notice when it hits my tongue. That's followed by the cherry and red wine notes. Nothing short of spectacular.

I would drink more of this if I wasn't limited by price, availability, and the fact that I find it to be a bit of a palate wrecker, NTTAWWT. Supplication is as good as it gets. I need to start buying this stuff by the case.

chcfan, Jan 04, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -7%

greg4579, Jun 09, 2013
4.68/5  rDev +2.4%

This poured to a nice deep red orange with a head that faded quickly. There isn't much lace.

The smell is intoxicating, with cherry, oak, and wild yeast very apparent. The taste starts with a bit of malt up front with cherry on top of oak taking over quickly. Sourness remains in the mouth. The mouthfeel is tart while the drinkability is amazing.

Very tasty.

watermelonman, Oct 26, 2005
4.1/5  rDev -10.3%

Batch 4 bottle. Pours a clear light red with an orange/peach tint and a fairly sustaining head. Nose is quite a lot of wet, ripe cherries, not as sour as I remembered, field-like almost, very fresh and floral. Flavor is darker sour cherries, brett, tart and long on the finish. Sour and dry, a tad bit mineral like in the mid palate. Brett is nicely intertwined and body is effervescent as with most Russian River sours. More sour and expressive than this batch was at a younger age.

JAXSON, Nov 20, 2010

kornkid8600, Dec 08, 2011

throwback, Dec 27, 2011

roostor07, Mar 19, 2013

KG710, Jul 28, 2014
4.8/5  rDev +5%

Finally got around to drinking this... what an amazing beer.

Poured into a tulip glass, and that was the last time the beer would even mildly disappoint. A hazy light amber/brown (burnt sienna, we'll say) with a thin, waif-y head that disappears quickly. It looks fine, but if I wasn't sneaking glances back over at the bottle I wouldn't know quite what a treat I was in for.

The aroma is stunning. Sharp cherry tartness and other ripe fruit on a malty backbone with a distinct funk.

And it tastes even better... I was splitting this bottle with my girlfriend (damn my generous ways!) and it was all I could do not to gulp this down. Clean, crisp, refreshing! The funky sourness gives an awesome bite that never completely overpowers (this doesn't reach that "other" level of sourness achieved by, say, a nice geuze), and the cherry notes are carried high with the proper amount of sweetness, which isn't cloying or simple, but complex and full bodied, coats the tongue and lifts with an excellent level of carbonation. Oak-y astringency is just around the edges, rounding it off nicely. I couldn't be more pleased, particularly after Temptation set the bar so high. If I could afford to purchase by the case, I would.

Excessively drinkable, complex enough to handle a variety of duties in food pairing, you simply must try this beer. And Russian River simply must find a way to produce more of it.

errantnight, Nov 13, 2007

MordorMongo, Jan 13, 2013
4.43/5  rDev -3.1%

Healthy finger and a half of head, creamy. Goldenrod body, clear tinged with red. Light lacing.

Serious funk and tang on the nose and a good cherry presence. Smells really great.

Pretty darn great, dry and sour and really well balanced. Cherry is subtle and works well.

Feel is a bit bright but not really. Decent.

Quite nice. Cherry is subtle, and really sophisticated.

zaphodchak, May 18, 2012

mikefuski17, Aug 30, 2014

dcguitar, Mar 08, 2013

ant880, Jan 07, 2013
4.97/5  rDev +8.8%

rkarimi, Jun 09, 2012

srw, Jun 09, 2014
3.9/5  rDev -14.7%

Poured into a MJ tasting glass.

Pours a ruby hue with orange highlights around the edges of the glass. About a finger of head that drops rather quickly. But a very effervescent brew.

Aromas of lactic sourness, oakiness, cherry stones, vinegar, and cherries.

First sip is of a slightly puckering sourness. A bit of a carbonic bite. Sour cherry juice, untoasted oak. Vinegar and lactic sourness. And cherry pits.

Mouthfeel is thin, tart, and a drying puckerness.

Drinkability is fairly good. A "classic" american wild brew. Missing some intangibles from a belgian sour, lack of "earthiness." Overall good, but nothing to get too excited about. Not getting the hype.

JamnesCameron, Dec 22, 2010