Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 2,498
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,524 | Reviews: 1,382
4.55/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

A: clear gold amber with lingering white head

S: detailed and complex, with tobacco smoke, vanilla, cherries, malt, and funky Brett

T: cherry, malty grains, vanilla oak, tart acidity carrying well-balanced flavors

M: finessed, gentle, and broad. Really lovely.

D: not too heavy at all and I could drink a few of these.

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

Bottled 1/07/14. Pours slightly cloudy (I poured to fast....) kind of dark rose color with small off white head. Nose is sour vinegar - if it was a wine it would be going back! Bacteria is here in force.
Sharp acidity hits first bam! then an incredible sourness hits the back of the throat BAM. Second sip is better as the mouth adjusts, subtly cherry comes out, sour cherry, white grapes? Lots of funk.

4.95/5  rDev +8.6%

Russian River's Belgian style beers all are aptly named after different stages of religious conversion. Their Supplication, a sour brown ale "aged in French oak Pinot Noir barrels" is an example of craft brewing at its finest. A ménage à trois of brettanomyces yeast and lactobacillus and pediococcus bacteria (as well as an addition of sour cherries to the barrel) all contribute to an incredibly complex melange of tart flavors.

Supplication pours the honey color of an aged port producing minimal head with some lacing. Its nose hints of champagne and the delicate carbonation extends the comparison, until ... the first sip of hits your mouth and intense flavors flood your palate--the sourness running around to tantalize the glands in your neck. With another taste, the high cherry notes ring out and are balanced by a wonderfully mellow oak finish at the back of the mouth. I wish I could walk around with that taste every day.

After letting it breathe and adding a little more of the yeasty goodness, Supplication becomes even more complex with more high notes and incredible mouth sizzle; adding in the lees really takes the sour cherry down a peg without losing the oak-fueled finish.

4.8/5  rDev +5.3%

Poured from a 375 ml into a la chouffe tulip - bottle 04x1

Appearance - Beautiful deep amber with nice head that leaves a beautiful lacing with decent retention.

Smell - ohhh - tart dark fruits grape, licorice, cherry a bit of a sour funkiness to it - man this is exciting...

Taste - man that is some sour deliciousness. Just read the back of the bottle and the strong grape and cherry tones make a lot of sense now. Sour cherry, grape, deep fruitiness with hints of oak that I perceived as roastiness for a split second - followed with a potent funk from the bret et al. ending in a very pleasant dry tartness. Much more complexity that I cannot put my finger on. Can't wait to review with increased tasting abilities.

Exceptional beer - seriously fantastic. I have fallen off the deep end into a deep love of well brewed sour beers. Wow this is good.

4.07/5  rDev -10.7%
look: 3.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

SO tasty! This is the original that so many are attempting to replicate

4.49/5  rDev -1.5%

Bottled in a corked 375 ml bottle from Batch 001.

This thing is a beautiful reddish brown hue.
A very carbonated Burnt amber color holds a foamy head for a good amount of time.

A boastfull aroma knocks the nose with alot a unfamiliar smells from the wild yeast. Sour cherries dominate with just a touch of ground pepper and sweet rotting wood.

The tartness will make you pucker and the tastbuds are bonbarded with sour cherries. You can pick up the vanilla and dry wine from the oak barrel. The head is still lingering around to enhance each sip as it rolls back through the pallett.

Pairing this with a nice rare cut of red meat will bring out some additional characters in the beer. Enjoy this one for awhile, let it warm up a bit and hang on.

4.32/5  rDev -5.3%

Aromas of cherries and berries, grassy funk, pepper, lemon, vanilla, baking spices.

First sip is a burst of sourness followed by cherry finish, then complexity builds. Gets lemony, and increasingly creamy, but definitely has a peppery and earthy side. Finishes very dry. Towards the end of the bottle, I got the exact taste of slightly tannic green tea with honey.

Has a very dry sourness.

You want to take very small sips of this one. Each sip brings something new.

3.88/5  rDev -14.9%

From notes:

A: Deep ruby brown with a pillow-like foamy head.

S: Sour cherries, lifesavers, very wine like

T: Sour cherries, sour patch kids with citrus sweetness, starts malty and sweet then quickly turns tart.

M: light with tight carbonation

D: Delicious and addictive, the tartness keeps you in check, easy to savor sip by sip, a great beer!

4.37/5  rDev -4.2%

Poured from a 375ml bottle into a chalice. Batch 5. Bottled May 2010. Drank 01/13/2011.

Poured a slightly hazy cherry wood color. Fizzy rusty head that dissipated fairly quickly, but left some lacing around the top of the glass. Smell was tart and with the slightest hint of earthy leather.

Dancing carbonation makes this a very light bodied beer. Fruity, sour cherry at first followed by a very slight brett character. Red wine. Leather, wood. Very dry. Mouth puckeringly dry. But in a good way.

Lengthy sour finish. Delicious. This beer would be great with a cheese plate and some dark fruits. Each sip is seemingly palate cleansing. Did I say delicious?

4.22/5  rDev -7.5%

batch 003. Brown pour with a thin off white head. Aroma was mild cherry and a bit of funk. Flavor had more cherry, lemon, funk. not nearly as acidic as I thought it would be.

UPDATE, old score fresh = 3.6. Opened one recently and it had gotten nice and sour, and the lemon had really started coming out. The funk was spot on, not dominating but making itself known. REscored 4/2/09

4.4/5  rDev -3.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

A - Beautiful golden copper with a tight 1 finger head that dissapated rather quickly. Held up to a light some red tones are in there as well.

S - I am getting cherries, vanilla, oak, some yeast funk, and I am getting alot of grape. If I was blindfolded, I'd of guessed a wine by the smell.

T - Mouth puckering! This is one tart sour. Personally I am getting alot of wine showing through. I get the oak, some vanilla, a little bit of the cherries, but mainly I taste wine. With the higher carbonation it reminds me of a champagne almost. Very different. Very good.

M - Light on the tounge. Nothing sticks around on the palate. Leaves you ready for some more!

D - Pretty darn good. I prefer Temptation, but would never refuse another bottle! Try it, you won't be disapointed.

4.61/5  rDev +1.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.75

Pours pretty dark brown, aggressive pour gives about 1 finger of head that is reduced to a film in under a minute but maintains around edges of glass. Smell is tart cherry, and some woodiness. Taste is sour cherry, cranberry, some grassy funk, definite barrel notes. As it warms some bready malts appear. Pretty full bodied in my opinion, tons of carbonation, maybe too much for me, sourness really sticks around for a while on the palate. Overall one of my favorite sours, glad I got my hands on some recently so I could put up a review on this great beer from RR.

4.66/5  rDev +2.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Served in a pilsner glass.

A: A brown, fizzy brew with a thick, quickly dissipating head. Lacing is present with thin ring retained on the wall of the glass

S: Sour funk, cherries and wine on the nose.

T: Sour Lemon, cherries, malt, sourdough funkiness, and dry wine on the palate. Very compelling flavors.

M: Thick feel, heavy carbonation, dry finish.

O: Another home run by Russian River, best sour I've had thus far. This beer drinks like a Pinot noir, lambic and sour brown ale simulataneously.

3.22/5  rDev -29.4%

appearance: pours a cloudy brown with a two finger foamy white head that dissipates moderately. not very much lacing on the glass.

nose: bottle says that its aged in pinot noir barrels and has cherries added to it. i definitely smell both of those things. has a definite wine characteristic to it as well as a fruity cherry sweetness in the nose. smells exactly like a cherry pie. instantly brings thanksgiving to mind. that's my favorite holiday. you're cheating, supplication. it not only smells like cherries, but it has that buttery dough smell that is quite pleasant. a slight, slight belgian yeast spiciness is in the background, but it is quite subdued. This really just smells like a freshly baked cherry pie. There isn't much else, but it is amazing how much this smells like a real cherry pie.

taste: UGH! That is some sour ass shit! Tastes like the tiniest grape you ever ate mixed with hay and moldy parmesan cheese rind. I don't want any more of this. The second sip is a little more forgiving than the first, but it still is freaking sour! Why is this beer so freaking highly rated? Who seriously looks for these flavors in a beer? I mean it gets more tolerable the more you drink it, but holy crap that first sip was not very pleasant.

mouthfeel: moderately carbonated and fairly viscous. not watery at all, but not too thick. the mouthfeel is quite pleasant and I'd imagine it is quite spot on for the style.

overall: i have found a style of beer that i have zero interest in exploring. I imagine that some beer geeks out there will love this, but for me, a sour ale is just not something i'll ever want. the flavor is decent, but not all too complex, and it is not very refreshing at all either. Glad I tried the best of the sour ales before I wasted my time with any other ones. This just isn't my cup of tea.

4.36/5  rDev -4.4%

Had this on tap at the Blind Lady Ale House. Pours out with a nice copper color, which I'm guessing comes from the cherries, decent amount of head in the glass. Smell and taste were almost identical for me... tart cherries, with just a hint of sweetness. I felt this beer was perfectly carbonated, dry like a champagne and incredibly easy to drink. The bar listed it at 9% abv, though it's listed differently here, either way, it was a beer where the alcohol creeps up on you so beware! I had read that the beer is barrel aged, but I didn't really get "barrel" flavors as you might with some other B.A. beers. Another home run from Russian River.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

On tap at RRBC 11/24/09.

Aroma- complex sour and tart. Berries, acids.

App- Hazy reddish amber. Very little foam but the glass was filled to the top.

Taste- very tart. raspberries and blackberries. sweet caramel and malt backbone. drying mineral note.

Mouth- dry, warming acids. not bone dry, but well balanced. fine carb.

Overall- my favorite Russian River beer so far. I used to be a Pliny head until had some of their sours. More simple malt than consecration, less sour than beatification but the most refined.

4.67/5  rDev +2.4%

Recieved a bottle from Drabmuh. Thanks hombre!
A- Light brownish amber fading into a darker golden hue.Nice clarity with a stream of carbonation emitting from the center of the bottom of the glass
S- Exceptional it is! Nice musty woody funk with strong flavors of tart apple and pear. Hints of grass and leather.
T- Wonderful flavors of lemon peel and tart pear and citrus bitterness. Hints of pinot grigio and berries. Nice sourness that clings to the tip of the tongue.
M- Superb, very effervescent. Leaves a tangy aftertaste in your mouth
D- Is very high, the flavors change as it warms up a bit and it just keeps getting more interesting the more you drink it.

3.84/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured from a bottle dated April 11, 2013. Tried on August 23rd, 2013.

I had very high expectations for this beer. But in comparision with some other sours I've indulged in lately - Cascade, Crooked Stave, etc - this one was lacking. I have two major complaints:

1) The bottle I tried just wasn't very sour. On a 1:10 sour scale, this one probably ranks a 2 or a 3. Definitely not as sour as Cascade and Bruery's sours, for example. I was expecting much more of a acetic kick and this beer just didn't deliver.

2) The complexity was somewhat lacking for my taste. Again - with the batch I tried - the red wine/Pinot overpowered the cherries. To my palate, it tasted much more like a wine/beer hybrid than a sour beer brewed with cherries. I'd take down the barrel aging a notch and kick up the cherries.

Supplication is a good - maybe great - sour. But when measured against its reputation, the bottle I had fell short. To that end, it reminds me alot of Pliny - a very well-regarded beer surpassed by other beers in the same genre but still highly regarded based on name recognition. For sour-heads, this bottle is a must-try simply based on what it is. But for my money, there are better sours out there.

A Reddish color. Had this for Fathers day. A little treat for myself. Lots of carbonation and lively bubbles meet the glass.

S-cherries, sour, brett, funk, wine barrel, oak. Tons of nose in this beer. Opens up when it warms. This is a bang of a beer and it just jumps at you with beautification.

T I had this stored at about 55 degrees so it was cool enough to drink and enjoy from the beginning. It got a little sweeter as it warmed up too. The beer has a lot of depth of flavor. At first the beer is really tight, but gets more open as time goes on.

m-Sour candy with a kick. Has a lot of good feel, lingers on for a while.

O When can you say you had fun drinking a beer? I can, and do all the time. It is rare that I drink alone, but it was a good time to chill and watch a good movie. Great times.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

Poured from bottle into pint glass:

A: A dark red/orange color. Curious looking--I don't think I've seen too many beers with hues like this. It doesn't have too much in the way of head, but it is very obviously carbonated. It's almost shaking with bubbles.

S: Fruity, with pears, apples, and cherries coming to mind. It has a sort of malt scent I associate with Belgian Ales. Kind of peppery.

T: Wow. Sweet and sour, with a Belgian aftertaste. Tangy and bubbly like champagne. Now that I think about it, I think this beer IS champagne. Did someone make a mistake? All things considered, it is absolutely delicious.

M: Again, champagne comes to mind. Tart, dry, bubbly, and warming on the end. I love it.

O: After the initial smell, I wasn't sure what to think. But a few sips and it completely won me over. This stuff is awesome, and I'll get it in the future if I can.

4.57/5  rDev +0.2%

A - Dark, beautiful, garnet colored beer, like a wine.
S - There's a lot going on here --- I first get a beautiful cherry and pinot quality smell, nearly like a wine. But then there's the citrus sourness present. Throw in some cranberry, perhaps. Maybe I'm crazy, but I also get a faint herb smell.
T - Wonderful lambic qualities - sourness up front, followed by cherry and citrus. I get less of the wine quality on the tongue, except for maybe a slight tannic quality? Overwhelming tart/sour lingers well after the sip, and I get an almost grassy note the longer I let it sit on the tongue.
M - Slight carbonation balances out the sourness. Pretty light body.
D - This is amazing, with tons of nuanced flavor and smell. I could see it pairing well with a lot of different foods (mussels??) and could stand on its own. Beautiful sour ale.

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer came highly recommended by my a trusted friend and considering I can find it more readily in Denver I decided to open my bottle.

The beer poured an nice amber/red and had a nice single finger head with itty-bitty bubbles throughout.

The nose was of sour cherries with a little bit of wood.

The taste was a dry tartness with a slight dark fruit bitterness developing into sour cherries and finishing with oak on the tongue.

The mouthfeel was elegant and fitting for as much esteem as I have heard this beer receive over the past few months.

Overall this is a great beer with a dry finish that doesn't turn me off like some beers I have recently tasted. Not much sweet which I found very inviting for this beer.

4.37/5  rDev -4.2%

Pours a cloudy amber color with a small head, with lacing at the sides of the glass.

Smell is very tart, fruity, and cherry. Smells like a weaker version of what I'd expect from some wines.

Immediately hits the tongue with sour tartness. The intensity of the sourness builds a bit as it rolls over the palate, and finishes dry. The sour cherries are very dominant in the flavor. Tastes also like funky fruit other than cherries.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, smooth, and tongue biting. The sourness really attacks the tongue.

Drinkability on this one is low. While delicious, I wouldn't want to have more than one of these in a night. The one I do have, though, goes down super easy.

Overall, this is an amazing beer. This is completely different from what I drink, but it's delicious and a wonderful change of pace.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Sampled this as part of my own personal sampling. I had both Consecration and Supplication at the same time. This poured a light brown with a white head. The aroma had a far subtler sour presence compared to the Consecration. The same could be said for the taste also. While the Consecration felt like an attack on your tastebuds, the Supplication was less intense while still having a very pleasant sour, fruity flavor. I don't know enough about the process to tell whether the main difference is the Cab vs. Pino barrel, but when having both at the same time it's very obvious which is which. I could see myself drinking quite a few of these (that is if I could afford it) since it is more mellow and doesn't leave your tastebuds totally exhausted by the end. Like every RR beer I've had so far, this is very well done and highly recommended.

4.87/5  rDev +6.8%

Poured into a dessert wine glass at the Toronado. I wasn't prepared for how good this was. I way underestimated Russian River.

Appearance - Reddish brown with a pure white head. The visible effervescence is alluring.

Smell - Wow, that's complex. I knew it was made with cherries, but the nose is mostly funk. The wild yeast is the predominant characteristic. The wood aging also hits the aroma some, I'm thinking french oak. And yes, the detectable fruit characteristics are subtle but all cherry. Think earthy gouda cheese or moldy bleu also and I mean that in a good way. Hard to get my nose out of here for the first sip.

Taste - Nice and sour on the front but in a mild and approachable way. It lingers a bit and loving sours like I do it was one beautiful thing. The cherry flavor is also subtle, it doesn't overwhelm anything. There's also apple here, and apricot. There's a slight vinegar that balances some of the cherry notes. There are also some funky notes that taste somehow earthy.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied, and bubbly. Silky, too.

Drinkability - I could have gone back and ordered only glass after glass of this beer and never get tired of it. The next night I went back to the same bar and ordered one of these again as soon as I got there, and almost ordered another right away, but wanted to try other beers I can't get in Chicago.

Notes: Very easily became my favorite sour beer in the U.S. I was charmed immediately. It's the best thing this brewery does out of the four or five I had of theirs.

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company