Supplication - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 2,586
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  7.00% ABV

Beer added by: BeerAdvocate on 02-25-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Supplication Alström Bros
Reviews: 1,379 | Hads: 5,714
4.41/5  rDev -2%

Poured from the bottle into a tulip glass. Batch 005X3. Thank you slentz for the trade!

A small but nice off white head out of the bottle, foamy, falls slowly but maintains a real nice collar throughout drinking. Great body color again on these Wild Ale's from Russian River. Body is slightly cloudy, but a beautiful dark orange and brown with great hues. Fantastic looking beer here.

Smell is a little muted and small but, wonderful pleasant sour and acid. Small fruit cherry, and there's this very good sense of pine needles or something spicy, I get pine though and stinging.

Taste is a real nice bodied sour, with small cherry fruit. Good tartness, a bit dry in the mouth after some sips, Has an almost hint of malt on the swallow, but a good black pepper spice too that carries. Very balanced, not overpowering, everything is in play here.

Fantastic wild ale here, would have this again anytime with food or without. Balanced, not overpowering, great body, tasty brew!

4.65/5  rDev +3.3%

Batch 002; Sampled January 2008
A careful, persistent pour yields a fat-one-finger thick, dingy, tan colored head. The beer is a brilliantly clear, light cherry red color. Tart aromatics of acetic acid, lactic acid and moldy cheese are the first thing I notice in the nose. Quite fruity, but it is a sort of non-descript, perhaps berry-like, sweet fruitiness. The barrel character is present, but held well in check by the other aromatic components; touches of vanillin, a backdrop of spicy oak, some hints of butterscotch around the edges and a tannic character that is definitely noticed. The nose is quite funky, teetering on the edge of being off; over-ripe cheese, penicillin and buttery oak notes all contribute to this. Compared to a Lambic, this has quite a bit of acetic acid character to it, which is something I always enjoy if kept to a reasonable level.

Tart tasting, in fact very tart tasting; this is a nice mix of lactic and acetic notes. The lactic acid is the more prevalent not, but I am not sure that the lesser amount of acetic acid is not the most noticed part of the acidity. Flavors of tart cherries, tamarind and star fruit are all noticeable in this exceedingly dry beer. The body actually has a bit of heft to it though, which should be attributed to the barrel contribution and touches of residual malt character. Dry cherry notes, rich (though diluted) balsamic character, . A tannic, tongue coating note in the finish adds spicy almost piquant oak flavors that coat the tongue in a long finish. The barrel adds notes of buttery oak, spicy wood, some soft, creamy vanillin and probably even some berry flavors (assuming that the noticed berry flavors are coming from the Pinot Noir part of the barrel). As the beer warms it really starts to come into its own; the fruit & malt seem to balance the sour notes all that much more and make this even more enjoyable.

This is quite a bit more acetic in character than batch one. This is actually quite hard for a red / brown styled sour beer. An aggressive, but enjoyable, experience if you are into that sort of thing. I like that the oak character is much more integrated (though it still plays a significant role) than it was in batch one, but it still has a little ways to go before it hits that perfect balance between malt and funk / oak. This is still a fantastic beer, but I can't wait to see if Vinnie can dial this in a bit more over the next couple batches.

Batch 001; Sampled July 2005
4/4.5/5/4/5 total=4.6
Pours a hazy ruby red color when held up to the light, an amber color otherwise. The head is thin and tan in color. The aroma is dominated by a fresh oakiness, but, especially when I was pouring this, there is a nice acetic acid note to this that reminds me of a Rodenbach. The nose has notes of buttery oak, hints of cherries, balsamic, and a certain tannic woodiness. The aroma is quite well integrated with a great balance to it, though it does lean toward the acidity, which I am partial to.

The taste is fairly dry, much drier than the pasteurized Flemish beers, but still strikes a malty balance with a bit of caramel complexity to it. The finish is pleasingly acidic, with a leaning towards the acetic side of things. This beer is really well done, I am quite impressed, this is quite a bit farther along than the temptation. The finish has notes of a tannic woodiness, plus a long sour note that lingers along with the woodiness. This beer certainly reminds me of cherries, with a nice fruitiness to it. The more I drink it the more I become enamored of this beer, an authentic Flemish style sour beer that has not been pasteurized. This is quite a bit better, and much more balanced than New Belgium's La Folie. There is a wonderful interplay between the oak, maltiness, and acid character; this is superb and I can't wait to get more vintages of this.

4.42/5  rDev -1.8%

Small bottle, caged and corked, Batch 04x2. Pours cloudy brown ale like, under a moderate medium tan head, that leaves a thicker collar and nicely splattered fine pieces of lacing. Zesty nose, infused with horse blanket, sour cherry, and a faint whiff of gym socks. My reaction tot he first hearty swig was simply "wow", full flavor, sour cherries stinging the taste buds, bretted up, funkathon, love this stuff and so will other sour lovers. worth seeking out and then savoring every time
Thank you Matt at Capone's for hooking me up with this and a few more treats from RR on a recent Philly visit.

Batch #3 poured into my St. Bernardus wide mouth. Got this through brotherliam, thanks again. Have not had this since the last shipment to philly. Review 400/1118 or so.

A- A nice burst from the cork pop, no foaming. Suppy's base beer is a brown ale but the look is more of a deep red with bright orange, faint bubbles rising. Cant see through the liquid. Some bubbles form islands of foam on the surface, nothing major, no lace either. This beer looks delicious.

S- This is one great smelling beer, very inviting. The sour cherries are very noticable, telling me they have not faded completely. Funk and some wild yeast strains giving off those strange scents I've come to love. The oak in this is quite possibly my favorite aspect of the nose.

T- At first Im hit with funk and sour cherries. I like supplication fresh as the cherries is what drew me to this in the 1st place. This bottle has some slight age on it. The cherries give off some tart while the 4 wild yeast strains do as well, brett and lacto being heavyhitters. Lemon and other fruits come in under the cherries The oak gives off wood while some wine characteristics step the taste up a few notches, this is tasty as F___. Not really getting any of the brown ale tastes but there is some malt towards the end.

M- This one is quite sour and tart. The puckering capabilities are up there, I can handle it though, this one is a sinch to drink. The body is somewherenear medium with perfect carbonation. I never have to worry about carb on a RR product, they are always dead on. Sup has a crispness to it and is just a lively all around beer.

D- Cant wait for these to come in 750ml bottles, 375 just does not seem like enough, but I do love the small bottles as well. With that said I could and would drink this all night until my stomach could not handle it anymore. It's great cold and just opens up with time. This would go great with some fine cheese, the perfect match. This is one of my favorite beers ever.

Batch 4(About two years old) into my Russian River Tulip.

This beer continues to impress me and it is my favorite. Some time in the bottle really does magic to this. Another pop from the cork, suppy is a brownish red with some orange up towards the light. A cream colored shell of foam stays on top throughout with nice sheets that stick. Smell is straight out lacto with sour cherry at this point. Pungent with leather and I guess you can say malt from the base. A bretty sting with some warming. The cherry has not left, it only got more aggressive. Taste is just oh my god, I love this beer. Cherry flavor with sourness that knocks socks off. I gotta say, Sup does wonders in the bottle if you have a good batch of it and give it some time in a OK enviornment. Sometimes, warm is your friend. Lacto soaked cherry with pedio/sach/brett in that order, no fooling. Supp Vs Sanct, you can tell the difference, especially in the newer Sanct versions with all brett, lacto shines here. Im babbling. All I can say is lay these suckers down if you got em, they will sour till your hearts delight, much more than the batch 4 Temptation which I think is dwindling. I love it.

4.95/5  rDev +10%

While I've had the priviledge to taste Suppication a number of times over the past two years, I never drank a bottle to myself. I'll cut the dramatic intorduction to a simple "04x4" found on the bottle label. On to the beer:

It's got some really good head retention on top, which for a sour is good to see. Even the lacing sticking to glass is impressive and thickish. Very dark orange in color, looking almost like an aged copper penny. The aroma, oh yes! There are a lot of different routes I could go down; cheesy, vinegar, cherry tart, oak, cantelouple, melon...I should note the final two aromas listed won me over.

Supplication is sour, but its acidic character is toned down compared to others out there. First hit gets a tart cherry flavor. Then comes some cheese. After that, the flavor profile goes nuts! Melons, canteloupe, and mango are among the fruits I can taste from this wild beer. Sour tones continue to rain. Towards the end of the sip, I'm getting this sensation of critters. Wrap it all up, and you have here an unbelievably complex beer. The mouthfeel isn't shabby at all. It feels meaty but delicate at the same time, errr, call it tender. And while its tasty flavor profile help make consuming the beer more enjoyable, the beer from the start already was very easy to approach for the style. One more thing, before I put in my final words, there's a checkerboard of spotty lacing that continues to stick, and a thickish blanket of head on top of the final ounce I'm about to finish; I guess I'll have to raise the appearance score.

What else is there to say? Nearly all cylinders of Supplication were clicking to their full potential tonight, and I'm very glad to have finally be given the moment to do an extended trial of this wild exciting beer. If my palate were in 2007 mode, I would have been scratching my head over the hype. Now I get it. There are few beers that can hit all cylinders like Supplication.

3.63/5  rDev -19.3%

375ml, that's some thick glass.
Pours lighter than I expected, but still a nice amber with a fairly dense head. The small snifter glass I was using really captured the foam and the aroma, which is...sour. Although not all cherry. While some cherry is present, I get more of an apricot or overripe persimmon. Some sweet caramel just barely on the end.

Very small hints of strawberry and red plum in the flavors. Mostly sour bread, sour grapes and cherries. The pinot noir is subtle as is the cherry flavor. Not quire sure which cherries are used. Apricot comes and goes, and the caramel is summarily killed.

Sour, but not overly so. Not much sweetness on this one. Pretty darn good.

4.41/5  rDev -2%

375 mL bottle poured into my Allagash chalice, because I broke my RR -tion glass :( RIP RR -tion. May I soon obtain another. Batch 006X2.

Appearance - More red than brown. The color of a dark sherry. Huge head that seems to climb the sides of the glass and cling for dear life. A soft pillow protects the body from the elements.

Smell - The tart fermented cherry aroma is most prominent. Some brett aromas as well. Not terrifically funky. Huge pinot aroma.

Taste - Starts off with a threatening tartness that fades and suddenly returns with a vengeance in the finish. The cherries come through most in the front. Behind the cherries the pinot flavors push through with some tannins and oak flavors. The tartness almost overwhelms the wine in the finish, but as the sour notes fade, the wine shines through. To be honest, I'm not sure I love how strong the wine is, but for right now it's awesome.

Mouthfeel - Light bodied and tinglingly carbonated. Very dry in the finish with the tannins from the oak and wine extending the finish.

Overall - Really spectacular. I don't get to drink many sours as good as this one. I can't wait to try the Beatification in my cellar. It tempts me every day. Is there anything Russian River doesn't do well?

4.97/5  rDev +10.4%

12 oz. blue bottle, batch 002, bought at ABC Liquor in Long Beach, CA, on December 10th, 2007,

A: Pours a murky brown, but with a thick, nice, white head that leaves good retention until the beer is drunk, nice lacing there as well, but not a 5.

S: Complex - Brown ale malt, sour cherries - kind of a Warheads/Sour Patch kids smell, but not artificial, real cherries, also balsamic vinegar, tart apples, strawberry, horse blankets and funk, with a hint of gouda or cheddar cheese, red apple peel as well. Possibly the most fragrant, beautiful smelling beer I have ever had.

T: Just as complex as the smell. Tartness and sour cherries at first sip, then the grape skins come in. The pinot noir and barnyard character is there throughout, there is also a light taste of grass and wood, wet hay as well. Once the beer is in your mouth for a couple of seconds, there is this funky hit that is just to die for. Truly fantastic and a brewing work of art.

M: Smooth, acidic, and tart, but it just melts across the tongue at a perfect pH, sublime, definitely has a cidery character to it.

D: This is definitely one of the best beers that I have ever had. I had had it once before when it was first released in stores here in SoCal a few months ago and really liked it, but this time wow. It's so easy to drink, I could have drank it in like 20 minutes, but I milked it for a couple of hours while watching the Santa Clause because it's so damn good. An extraordinary beer, couldn't recommend it more, go buy it, it's worth the price, even if it is about a dollar an ounce.

4.52/5  rDev +0.4%

On draft at the brewpub.

Pours a hazy light copper/ruby color with a slightly pink, off white head. Cherry and oak on the nose with potent lactic sourness. Slight earthiness and vanilla on the aroma as well. This batch of draft is not as intensely sour as other bottles I've had. Cherries are a little fruiter and tart, and overall the flavor is sweeter. Medium bodied, moderate carbonation and a dry finish. It is what it is.

4.05/5  rDev -10%

Ordered a bottle of Batch #2 from the RR online store.

Its a hazy red with a bit of foam. Smells of oak, leather, paint. Tastes tangy and a touch bitter with cherry and pinot flavors for the barrels. Drink this one cool as the fruit flavors come out more. The funky bacteria flavors tend to overtake this one as it warms. A heck of an interesting brew though. I'd take this over Rodenbach any day. Cheers to RR for making weird stuff like this.

4.54/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Russian River

Poured into a snifter, pours a bright copper color . Had excellent clarity, though the head does die quickly. Aroma of funky bugs, cider vinegar, cherry, oak, and brown sugar. Has a sour aroma overall, which to a fan of wild ales, is quite delighting.

In the taste, puckering sourness, cherry pit, apple cider, lemon juice, vinegar, with a snappy lactic/acetic boom. Tart to sour, musty, oaky, and semi dry. Has the taste of white wine, not surprising through the stated use of Pinot Noir barrels. Mild herbal bitterness, the sourness really is the bite to this brew. Has a medicinal note, and the fruitiness of the cherry grows in the aftertaste.

A medium bodied, well carbonated offering, full of flavor. There is an oaky dryness with lingering fruit and sour notes sticking to the palate. Minutes after sipping there is still a strong sour flavor. This is a sipper meant to be savored.

Supplication makes for a great addition to any glass or beer cellar. Quite sour, mildly fruity, and full of wild ale funk. Enjoyable through and through, thanks to GodsBrother for picking me up a bottle from the brewery. Lovely stuff.

4.7/5  rDev +4.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Got this bottle from Santa (Prototypic), thanks for the opportunity. Batch 003 375ml

Pours a slightly cloudy orangey amber with a bubbly white head that sticks around forever. I can smell the sour from here while I'm pouring, yum. Upon closer inspection many layers reveal themselves to my nostrils. There's the sour funk, the cherries, the spicy Belgian yeast, bready malt. Just wonderful smelling really. Taste is sour lemons, limes, green apples, some cherries, a bit of acid. Any trace of malt or yeast gets buried in the sour while tasting. Sour fruits galore, but not overpowering. Incredibly drinkable. Very dry finish. Crisp Carbonation, medium body, Creamy dry mouthfeel. Wow this is good! One of the best I've had, although a little more cherry wouldn't hurt.

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a hazy reddish orange with some sdiment and a nice white head that fades pretty quickly. The smell is wonderful- sour cherries and a bit of funkiness. The taste is even better, with an acetic quality to start followed by a long slightly bitter finish. There is some funkiness,but its restrained. There is also a noticeable hit of cherries at the end. I'm putting one of these bottles down for a yewar to see what happens. Very crisp mouthfeel. Eminently refreshing and drinkable.

4.54/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Bottle from iguenard, batch 009. 375ml into a tulip.

Browned red, witha finger and change of eggshell head. Moderate retention and good lacing. Nose has oak, cherries, light acetic, mild vinous character, and some underlying sweet malt predominantly masked by the acid. Some underripe apple as well. Taste has sweet oak and malt character initially, and opens up immediately into really juicy cherries, acid and finishes with a subtle pucker. More acidic than directly tart/sour. Shred of alcohol.Mediumhigh carbonation, slight spritz in the conclusion. Complex and fantastically delicious, has all of the qualities I love in a sour.

4.87/5  rDev +8.2%

Sampled on draft at the brewpub in Santa Rosa.

Pours a deep dark cherry red mahogany color which is pretty cloudy and completely opaque. Frothy 1.5 finger off white head with pretty good retention, only slowly fading into a lasting ring that leaves streaks of soapy lacing behind.

I could smell this beer coming my way from across the room. Lots of eRthy brettu funk with a pro
inent barnyard horseblanlet character in the nose. Very vinous with lots of dark fruit balancing out the brett, especially sour dark cherry, grape, plum and raisin.

Funky tart Pickering mouthfeel that isn't acidic in the least bit. Perfect balance of brettu funky sourness, slight malt and sweet dark fruit notes. Lots of spur dark cherrry, vinous grape, raisin and plum. The tart curries really come through and make this beer amazing well balanced and quaffable. The ABV is nearly undetectable and there is a slightly vinegary Pickering aftertaste that leaves me salivating for another gulp. I love this damn beer and am so excited to try it on tap. This further cents my opinion that Russian River is the best brewery on the planet. Sek tuis beer out at any cost, especially on draft.

4.05/5  rDev -10%

Thanks to PWalk...
Appears an amber/orange with a small white head and streaky lacing.
Smell is of brett, wildness of tart fruit, slight oak barrel aging.
Taste is slightly vinous, wild, and sweet but sour. Maybe some cherries in the mix. Pretty complex.
Mouthfeel is smooth, wine-like, chewy but pleasant, sweet & sour.

4.92/5  rDev +9.3%

I've been enjoying the hell out of this beer since its release, so I thought it was time to review it. Bottled batch 004. The beer appears deep orange tinged ruby with a voluminous light beige head, excellent retention, and lots of scattered lacing.

The nose is redolent of tart cherries and lactic character, with a balancing sweet malt presence and apparent wood notes. The fruit is incredibly vibrant, a moderate acetic character is evident, and vanilla is subtle.

The flavor opens with tart cherry flesh and skins, segueing into a moderate lactic sourness and a slightly balancing malty sweetness. Acetic acid character is at a pleasantly restrained lower moderate level, adding balance rather than churning my stomach. Other fruit notes are of grapes and plums, but cherries are most prominent. The finish is tart and lightly tannic with a plethora of fruit and a drying woody sensation. Outstanding. The mouthfeel is dry and soft, with a fitting moderate level of carbonation.

I consumed a growler of batch 004 back in December, but I've been told that a different blend was put into bottles. I enjoy this even more than the first blend, if that's possible, and I shall drink up while the fruit is fresh.

4.5/5  rDev 0%

Pours a deep light golden-brown colour, with a fine bubbled and incredibly dense head of white foam. Lacing is superb. Not just patterns, but full sheets of bubbling sticking to the edge of the glass. Odd, slightly chunky static carbonation as it's swirled, as though the bubbles get caught in clumps. Really lovely looking brew.

Very full and very lovely nose of oak, acidity, crushed vegetation, sour fruit, wood shavings... I could go on. Very sharp, extremely oaky and wine-like and extremely intense. Lovely complexity.

Immediate acidity on the front palate, but it mellows just divinely to earthy wood characters, with a hint of cherry pip, green apple skin and a resinous hint of rubbed lemon rind. I love the way it just relaxes on the tongue, giving you the full force of the acidity straight up, before almost melting to something soft and supple. Mouthfeel is crisp and subtle, but it gives this three-dimensional dance throughout, starting rigid and sharp and finishing languid and soft.

What a lovely drop of beer, and a truly excellent wild ale. There are reasons this is rated as highly as it is. In terms of straight complexity, I think I actually prefer RR's Consecration, but this is probably a more true, more pure and more raw example of the genre.

4.28/5  rDev -4.9%

Batch 003 - sampled April 6, 2009.

Sun blistered cognac that is, quite surprisingly, crystal clear. The complexion is immaculate and its tone radiant. The refermentation in bottle (the same process used in Champagne) was hugely successful at providing carbonation; the capping is firm, thick and thorough. It's said for Champagne that the smaller the bubbles the finer the wine - if these little acrobatic pin pricks are any indication this will be of the usual Vinnie Cilurzo high standard of quality.

Pouring the bottle at arms length I could pick up on the aromatics of fruit vinegar, musty oak and fruit juices. With my nose buried in the glass the funky trio of Brettanomyces, Lactobacillus, Pediococcus wild yeasts raddle the nose hairs. Its volatile, long-chained molecules then stream up the nasal passage, prancing through a pattern of receptors, before finally tickling the olfactory nerve cell at the bulb of the brain.

It is there, in the brain's olfactory cortex, where higher functions such as memory and emotion are coordinated with the sense of smell. My memory makes the connection to musty, wine soaked oak barrels, butterscotch and cherry juice. The emotion side recaptures the encounters of gueuze in Brussels, it reminisces the Red Ales of Flanders, and remembrance of a tasting in the barrel room in Santa Rosa.

The taste is, put simply, a sour red wine-like Belgian-style ale with tons of complex funk. More specifically, it's an intense fruitiness that includes plum, ripe raspberry, black cherry and red currant flavors. The taste of musty oak is prevalent and the backdrop is a combination of both metallic and malty notes. There are hints of butterscotch, an abundance of vanilla and spicy phenols in low amounts.

The mouthfeel is dominated by an acidic, tannic bitterness and a touch of oxidization. The sourness (which is still well shy of being puckering) imparts a noticeably acetic/vinegary character. There's also a touch of sherry-like character which, along with the brown malts, produces a sweet-and-sour profile (the sour outnumbering the sweet by 2:1). It has all the dryness of a white wine but all the complexities of an aged, vintage red.

I've enjoyed this batch more than the previous (002) but I appreciate the concept of each vintage being unique. Such annual changes burgeon with notions of immortality and evolution; the idea that the beer lives on to provide sustenance even after its grains are spent, the cherries rotted and the yeasts tired. The beautiful tragedy of it is the vintage is consumed and only the memory of it remains; thus conveying the transience of life. least until next year.

4.14/5  rDev -8%

On tap at the Blue Dog Tavern the other day.

Supplication pours an apricot amber color with fairly good head retention and lacing. On the nose, this beer is quite vinous, showing an iimpressive array of grapes, vanilla, wine and light sour. The flavor profile replicates the nose for the most part, except I'm getting a bit more wine vinegar and sour funk. The sour component definitely dominates the flavor profile, though it's not so over the top as to be unenjoyable. This beer is hugely flavorful with no more than a medium bodied mouthfeel, and the finish is long, winey and sour. This beer has almost an electric component to the flavor profile, at least that's how the sour hits me on the finish. Drinkability is pretty good, with the alcohol nearly unnoticeable. Am not a huge fan of sours beers, but this is pretty fun to drink (though I can't imagine drinking a whole lot of it). However, I confess the sour component does seem a bit more intense on draft then I recall experiencing from the bottle.

4.35/5  rDev -3.3%

On tap at RR.
Poured a hazy brown colo with red hues, little white head. Nose is sour cherries and a tartness. Taark cherries and a deeper tartness than Consecration. Pretty sweet, booze and all is well put together, creating a good brew. Mouthfeel has a wine like characteristic. Very good sour and I kept going back to this. So good!

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

Thanks goes out to Bitterbill for this brew.

Batch 002

Got a nice pop from cork pull, poured a nice slightly cloudy darker orange color, nice carbonation, nice little fizzy tan head, some nice sticky lacing around the edges. The nose is of sour/tangy grapes, cherries, citrus, malts, and slight caramel. The taste is sour/tangy, slight malts/hops, ends quite dry. Medium body. Very drinkable, this is another awesome brew from RR, highly recommended.

4.5/5  rDev 0%

On tap @ City Beer. 2011 vintage

A - Dark opaque orange with a thin layer of white head

S/T - Vinegar, bready, tart, slightly puckering sour. Fruity/berry notes. Slightly acidic but not overwhelmingly sour.

M - Medium body. Light carbonation. Dry throughout.

4.47/5  rDev -0.7%

A 375 mL corked and caged bottle from Batch 003.

A: The ale is a reddish brown color, like grenadine in orange juice only with a little less haze. A finger plus of highly carbonated foam has left spots of lace around the mouth.

S: Aroma-wise, the ale is just plain funky. The barnyard aromas are hard to avoid, filling the nose with sour cherries, pepper and apple butter.

T: The tartness here surpasses the bite of Temptation, scalding the tastebuds with each sip. Sour cherries follow the tartness, adding a little more depth to the taste. Red wine and vanilla finish out the taste. The ale is incredibly carbonated, adding to the lively taste with each sip.

M: The ale is quite dry from the barrel aging. That, in conjunction with the wild yeasts, creates a beer that stabs the tastebuds with each sip. The complexity is present but you have to appreciate it.

D: The wood, vanilla and funk are incredible. This is a great beer to sip from a snifter.

4.35/5  rDev -3.3%

A – Bright orange-brown with little to no head.

S – Dry tart cherry. Relatively soft.

T – A smooth body and prickly carbonation pave the way for a tidal wave of tart, unripe white peach, tanniny fruit pits, and dried leaves. The sourness somehow manages to be both bracing and restrained; pushing your palate to the edge, but not over it.

M – Medium frame with a nice smoothness. Dry finish.

O – A great, uncompromising, sour.

Supplication from Russian River Brewing Company