Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Blind Pig IPABlind Pig IPA

Wants: 1,661
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,940 | Reviews: 1,359
Reviews by DrDoitchbig:
4.34/5  rDev -0.7%

Bottle dated 4/16. Received as an extra, big thanks to SpdKilz for this one.

Appearance: Poured the color of natural honey with a slight haze to it. Sitting atop was a solid one and a half fingers of fizzy off-white head. It faded in to a thin layer before I could take my first sip, there was still enough to leave a couple small splotches of lacing down the glass. The head retention was definitely disappointing. The score here would have been even lower if the color wasn't so hypnotizing. It's strange, but in this light it almost looks like it's glowing.

Smell: This was the stand out category with this beer. As soon I popped the cap off I was hit with a strong blast of juicy grapefruit. It only intensified once I poured it into the glass. It's as if I just sliced open a nice, ripe grapefruit and jammed my nose directly into it. Behind that there are shades of pine and a hint of malt that manifests as sweet toffee.

Taste: After the wondrous aroma my expectations had certainly piqued. I have to say I was a bit let down here. The grapefruit is still here and it still has the same delicious fresh, juicy quality as the smell, it just happens to be toned down a couple notches. This allows more of the sweet malt to shine through. It's definitely a solid malt backbone. The resinous, flowery pine is also stronger and vies with the grapefruit for control of the hop character.

Mouthfeel: I'm experiencing a bit of a conundrum here. The body seems to be just a bit on the thin side for my liking. But at the same time it has a highly enjoyable stickiness and creaminess to it. If the body was just the slightest bit fuller this could have possibly been a perfect 5. But it's a major detractor for me.

Drinkability: If I wasn't reviewing this my glass would have been gone far too quickly, it's quite refreshing. It's definitely a very solid IPA. I could drink a few of them without my taste buds screaming for mercy from hop onslaught.

Overall I think this is a very, very good beer. However I've had better IPAs that are distributed locally. Two Hearted comes to mind immediately. But really I think this beer is it's own worst enemy. The smell was just absolutely bombastic. I like to take my time feeling out the aroma of a beer before taking a sip and I think that just set me up for a bit of a let down. Strange but true, at least for me.

4.21/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Appearance: Poured a darker shade of gold, almost amber. Had a very small head that was gone within minutes.

Aroma: Had a very hoppy aroma which was very pleasant. The hops gave off nice aromas of both citrus and pine.

Taste: The flavor was what you would expect from a west coast style IPA, full of citrus notes and some good hop bitterness that lingered a bit on the tongue. A nice subtle malt backbone added to flavor of this delicious IPA.

Mouthfeel: Nice full-bodied beer that had a nice amount to of hop bitterness lingering on the tongue. Had a nice dry and bitter finish.

Overall: A great example of a west coast style IPA. Loved the citrus and pine aromas as well as the citrus and malt backbone in the taste. Easy drinking IPA as it does not have an overwhelming amount of hop bitterness but enough to taste and appreciate the hops. Very good brew.

4.35/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

510 ml bottle poured into a SN tulip

A: Pours a beautiful crisp clear yellow almost light orange with a soapy looking white head. Medium carbonation and some good lacing. Great looking beer.

S: Nice citrus and pine character with great balance and smoothness. A little dank but mainly citrus and also a little fruity sweetness. An amazing smelling beer for sure. Really juicy.

T: Nice smooth bitterness and a lot of hop flavor. Nice and dry with a lot of hop character without being too over the top or bitter ass hell. Balance is definitely there and you can tell Vinnie knows wtf he's doing.

M: Medium carbonation and dry, which lends to a nice refreshing finishing bitterness. Great beer for sure.

O: An amazing beer I would not mind having everyday. Of course I'd prefer their other more well known and more popular beers but this is also along those lines. Well worth the try and a must have RR beers in my book.

3.25/5  rDev -25.6%

4.54/5  rDev +3.9%

On tap at Toronado. Tasted side-by-side a pint of the Elder. My first impression is shock that this IPA has considerably more about juniper/pine than the 2xIPA from the same brewer. This beer’s aroma is intense, painful even. My tongue is freaking out as if I were about to dip it into a vat of citric acid. The juniper in this aroma is just plain ferocious. Inhaling Blind Pig is like having a bully grind your face into a juniper bush on the playground. My eyes are starting to water. Taste is more about sensation then flavor. It stings, it burns, it pricks, it bites, it kicks, and it growls. Beyond that and the thick pine oils I can taste pineapple and apricot but that’s about it (I don’t mind one but. This rocks). Finish is light, dry, and citric. Body is on the lighter side of medium. Appearance is similar to Plinny the Elder, just a tad lighter shade of golden amber leaning toward yellow with a thinner, shorter lived white head. Outstanding IPA, not for the faint of heart or hops. Just damned adventurous.

4.27/5  rDev -2.3%

Hazy orange amber, quite a lot of sediments. Medium-sized off-white head.

The aroma is of exotic fruits, mostly pineapple and mango, grass and mild tobacco notes. Very hoppy, not a whole lot of malts manage to get through.

The flavor is tightly held and centered around exotic fruit aromas, crisp citric hops and grass. Do I also pick up some elder flowers? Medium sweetness and notes of caramel in the background. The finish is slightly perfumy and very bitter with resiny hop notes.

Moderate body and quite a lot of carbonation.

Lovely IPA. Actually comes out as the Mini-Me of of Pliny the Elder.

3.75/5  rDev -14.2%

3.5/5  rDev -19.9%

3.75/5  rDev -14.2%

4.2/5  rDev -3.9%

On tap at Falling Rock

Very clear pale gold.

Floral and citrus nose(similar but not quite as pungent as two hearted).

Clean, fresh hop profile with faint pine and grapefruit.

Very drinkable and balanced. A slight bitter punch in the finish is appropriate. Very good but not my favorite.

3.93/5  rDev -10.1%
look: 3 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

On tap at Falling Rock in Denver, CO.

The beer pours a yellowish-copper and is very murky looking. It has a unique aroma of citrusy pine and almost a hint of grass. It tasted quite similar to PtE but was more bitter (not in a good, hoppier way, either). It was kind of a bland PtE. I personally was turned of visually by the murkiness of it. Don't get me wrong, it tasted good, but it was nothing in comparison to some of the other RR beers.

I would recommend it, but don't search for it. If you come open it, go for it.

4.17/5  rDev -4.6%

Thanks to JDV and pintsized for sharing.

A-Clear orange-reminded me of sunset orange colrs
S-Grapefruit on sniff, grapefruit on a bigger whiff, grapefruit when I walked 10 feet away
T-Sweet light honey malt upfront, then surprisingly grapefruit and a slightly grassy hop taste leading to a lingering bitter finish.
M-Medium body, great crisp carbonation, tingles a little in the mouth.
D-Lingering bitterness took away from drinkability for me but overall fantastic brew and would seek out again.

4.5/5  rDev +3%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company