Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Blind Pig IPABlind Pig IPA

Wants: 1,751
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blind Pig IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,135 | Reviews: 1,383

Tried this on tap @ hollingsheads in Orange back in early August. I'd never herd of it but the tap handle looked cool and it said ipa. I speak that language! I loved the stuff. Kenny always has something worth checking out. So get down there if your in the area! This Review is from a bottle i got at Coit Liquor on Union St. in the city.

A: Hazy Amber. Pours with a nice head into mom's 1984 Oktoberfest Big Bear lake mug. Guess I was 3 when we attended that 1 lol.

S: Musty onion is that amarillo?

T: Hopped to perfection in my book(wich is hard) but still so totally drinkable. HARD to accomplish, top notch Vinny!!

M: Crisp, snappy. Perfect carbonation. Nothing about this beer is overbaring.

D: Very high. A great all-night beer if you have the $!

From a bottle of the first batch.

A- When in good lighting it pours a clear golden orange, though sometimes can look reddish orange.

S- citric, orange marmalade, a bit floral.

T- Bitter, citrus rind, grapefruity, quite floral actually. Way more floral than I remember it.

M- medium to light-medium body. Carbonation in these bottles is fine.

I must say when I first had Blind Pig a couple years ago I became an instant fan and it was my favorite RR brew. Recently I have found the regular house RR IPA to be more satisfying, though I still enjoy Blind Pig very much.
___
1/29/09
Bumping the last rating up from 4.3-->5.0 This is just an amazing IPA as I have always known but I love the mango fruit aspect to it so much... makes it so unique.

Poured into a Surly Darkness snifter. Thanks to Stupac2 for the 500ml bottle.

This lovely specimen poured a light and crisp orange/yellow with a tight 1/2 inch foam head and some serious sticky resin-like lacing.

The smell is tropical fruit all the way-Mango-grapefruit-a hint of peach maybe.

The tatse is so smooth. Much more balanced than i imagined based on the smell. The tropical fruit taste hits you up front. But, after a bit the fruit subsides, and the floral and pine take over, only to finish with just the right amount of bitterness.

The mouthfeel is a tad thin, but nothing earthshattering. It still finishes with a good amount of body and flavor.

The overall drinkability is top-notch.

5/5

Poor Blind Pig gets little recognition compared to Pliny. Blind Pig is just as good as Pliny the Elder.

A: Copper in color, medium carbonation, the head only sticks around for a minute or two but the lacing sticks around long after the glass is empty.

S: The nose is like putting your bag into a fresh bag of Cascade hops. Just the smell alone makes you want to take a swig of this easy to drink and perfectly resinous, fresh cut and mouthwatering brew.

T: The taste of this beer sets the bar for all of the other IPA's in my opinion. The taste is as close to perfect for an IPA that I have found. It is quite a bit less robust with the hop punch than other beers like Heady Topper and Day Tripper by Indeed Brewing which are both delicious but the hops and pine character is much more present..

M: Mouthfeel is painless. This beer is very easy to drink for anyone who loves IPA's.

O: This beer has been executed perfectly. Just enough hops to make it smell fresh with a hint of floral along with a slight back note of bitterness. I love this beer it is everything an IPA should be.

Russian River never leave me hanging...always a surprise in the utmost positive...and their old standards are legendary...I miss NorCal...and so should you!

Blind Pig is like the child of a Pliny & Heady and the Pliny & Heady got a divorce and the Pliny gained custody.

Perhaps the best nose ever. It gives off delightful citrus hoppy aroma and then follows up with a taste that does not disappoint. Perfectly light bodied and drinkable.

One of the best beers I've ever had.

appearance: light orange with nice white head. citrus aroma.

smell: floral and cirtus with a hint of malt

taste: pine and grassy hop flavors dominate followed by a nice malt background

mouthfeel: medium body and moderate carbonation

drinkability: the perfect hoppy session beer

Thanks to alexd3891 for a bottle of this one. He is very generous and is truly a great BA.

A: Straw-colored, a little bit hazy, and had a nice, thick, off-white head. Left nice lacing on the glass as I moved through the beer.

S: Pineapple and sweet grapefruit up front, with some other tropical fruits mixed in. My next comment could be because this is a Russian River brew, but this may smell a bit like PtY..? As the beer warms I am getting some piney hops as well.

T: The beer tastes just as the nose suggests, grapefruit, pineapple, peach, other tropical fruits and a bit of pine, this is phenominal! As the beer goes down, it leaves the mouth with a nice bitter finish. Also, there is a very minimal malty-backbone, which is excellent to me.

M: Light bodied, with some resinous and oiliness left in the mouth post swallow. Amazing carbonation for the style.

D: This beer has an amazing flavor, great mouth-feel, and a great smell. This beer has move into my top 3 favorite beers. Highly recommended!

My first time trying Blind Pig
Bottled on Date 09-06-13
ABV% says 6.25% not 6.10%

A: Looks very light and refreshing, nice clear golden amber mix, with a nice fluffy head that slowly dissipates and leaves light lacing around the glass

S: Very Piney, followed by some slight bready and caramelized sugar malts, and finishes with some nice light citrus, all combine very nicely to the nose

T: Nice taste of piney hops hit first followed by light bready and caramelized sugar malts, and finishes with a little bit of citrus hops and a nice light crisp bitterness to end, get a little pineapple and a very small amount of grapefruit, very nice combination of flavors

M: Very light, crisp, and refreshing for an IPA, very very slight oily or creamy feeling to it which makes it even smoother

O: Outstanding IPA, easily one of the best I've ever had, I was expecting it to be good based on the ratings, but after trying it I feel this beer is definitely under rated, I went a little out of my way to get this and I will gladly do it again

The very first DIPA and it's my most favorite of the DIPAs, except for PtY when it's on tap. I like this better than PtE because it feels big, bitter and well balanced. Hate to be a pretentious arse, but there's a bar down the street from my house and they have it ontap all the time, and like PtE, I have to have one of these a week.

Best single IPA almost a double well ok a double either way it is great..pineytsr grassiness. Been drinking this since temecula days.

Served in a nonic pint. Rarely available in these parts (Philly)...so every drop is to be savored, its that good.

The appearance is a hazy orangey amber with great foam and lace. The aroma, the depths of which draw you in so deeply, is like a pine forest, and an herb garden (rosemary, what an awesome pungent spiciness), with orange and grapefruit essences and perhaps ginger.

The taste is so smooth, SO drinkable, every sip commands you to have another one. Its clearly the pinnacle of west coast IPAs...hoppy, juicy, delicious lip-smacking bitterness. Nothing about this beer slams you in any negative way, its perfectly brewed. And it just won a silver medal at the GABF 08.

I, among so many other Philadelphians, anxiously await Russian River shipment time every year. To Vinny, thank you for continuing to send your perfect IPAs to my city! Cheers

It's always tough getting your hands on one of these being that i live in So Cal and this isnt distributed much in my area. I've found a bar in Alhambra that gets this on tap from time to time. Other then that when a friend brings me one of these when they go up north i owe them dinner! lol

So dam good. Oh man they would only me by 6 of these to go when I went to rr.love it

Exceptional flavor that increases the more I drink. Sessionable for sure. Quality ingredients that don't destroy my fragile antibiotic ridden stomach. Lingering flavor that makes me craze another one instantly.

It is hard to find another IPA that can top this one folks. Pliny is great but a totally different animal in my opinion. The piggy never fails me in bottle or on tap.

I truly and with full honesty think this beer deserves a perfect score. This India Pale Ale has everything a true hophead would ever want in a beer. My favorite by far, and I've had a lot of IPAs.

It pours a hazy almost clear deep golden color. Has a creamy firm off white medium head that leaves great strong lacing.

The aroma is so pungent and complex with citrus, floral, and a little pine. Every kind of fresh citrus fruits you can imagine. It wofts through the whole bottle, and never fades. You don't even have to swirl the glass to get more hop aroma. It's strong throughout.

The flavor is the same as above. All the hops shine like they are one hop veriety, but they are many. The malt is barely detectable, but it's there of coarse. Just a little hint of sweetness. It has a very smooth and soft bitterness. I was told by a faithful soarse that RR only uses tones of late hop additions no "bittering hops", they must truly use a lot to get 70 IBUs with nothing but late additions.

Very drinkable at 6% abv. You can't detect any booziness. I could have 20 of these... just kidding. I wish I could. :)

Love this beer. My favorite from Russian River. It's a must buy... If you can actually find it.

Had on-tap at Henry's in Portland, OR. Unfortunately, it was poured into a pint glass ;)

appearance - poured a nice amber with good lacing, decent foamy head that settled quickly

smell - fresh and aromatic citrus and pine hops

taste - resinous and citric pine hops with an excellent malt balance

mouthfeel - medium body with good texture, excellent level of carbonation

drinkability - prominent hop taste that is flavorful and enjoyable

My favorite pale ale by a long shot. This brewery can't go wrong.

4.98/5  rDev +14%

My go to everyday beer

4.97/5  rDev +13.7%

Delicious. Low alcohol for an IPA at 6.1% but full of flavor.

Refreshing hoppy taste; definatley representative of a CA IPA.

Love the sediment and the feel of the Ale.

Stands on its own, seperate from the other great beers of Russian River.

Purchased at Whole Foods in Thousands Oaks about 3 weeks in the bottle.

4.97/5  rDev +13.7%

When brewing at home you always have an idea about how you want a batch to turn out. I now know that until I get close to reaching the level of this beer. I know I will never be happy!

This is one of the finest IPA's on earth. The aroma alone it reason enough to buy it. It is truely a exceptional IPA. With notes of zesty citurs and vanilla. It is perfectly balanced. It pours giving you a wonderful aroma. Drinking is heaven.

A+

4.97/5  rDev +13.7%

A- Light golden yellow body with a thin lacing that covers about half of the top.
S- Big pine and citrus hops. Tons of fruits in there along with all the pine. Peach, grapefruit, orange, and a few others I can't pin point.
T- Huge upfront hops. Grapefruit, peach, light orange, and pine all flood the mouth. There is a nice balance between pine and the fruits but pine is winning. Nice decent size malt body. Finishes with a dry aftertaste along with fruits and a strong pine flavor.
M- Medium to full body with medium to low carbonation.
D- This is the best IPA I have ever had. It may be even close to the best beer I have ever had. I would like to have it side by side with some other favorites and see if this one would come through (I believe it would come out VERY close to #1 if not #1. I would give this beer a 4.999 if I could but of course you can't.

4.97/5  rDev +13.7%

Appearance: The pour is hazy lightish gold topped by two fingers of frothy white head.

Smell: The nose has fresh hoppy pine, grapefruit, and grass up front and ever so slightly sweet peach, mango, and orange.

Taste: The flavor profile has everything that's in the nose and they're all that they could be and more. The grass and pine are juicy, as are the citrus and tropical fruit, which also bring a hint of sweetness without tasting sugarfied. It's super hoppy, but it's crisp and refreshing and it doesn't smack you in the face with bitterness.

Mouthfeel: It's light to medium bodied and wet without feeling watery with lively carbonation.

Drinkability: No question, this would be my desert island beer. It's loaded with flavor, yet easy drinking, crisp, and refreshing. As close to a perfect beer as I can imagine.

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company