Join our email list →

American IPA | 6.10% ABV

Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,394 | Hads: 5,486
3.98/5  rDev -7.9%

Another tasty treat courtesy of cloudskipper.

Appearance: A rough pour into my trusty Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass shows this beer to be a cloudy, light gold colored brew. Despite the not-so-gentle pour, there's only about a quarter inch worth of head. The head fades away to virtual nothingness with only a collection of bubbles encircling the beer where it meets the glass. There is, however, a fair bit of sticky lacing clinging to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Smell is a bit relaxed, though to be fair I just finished a PtE so my sense of smell may be slightly skewed. That being said, there's only a faint bit of citrusy goodness lurking in the nose.

Taste: A fair bit of improvement over the smell, the taste is more robust than the nose would indicate. A bitter, citrusy, grapefruity taste without much of a sweet malt to balance (though I'm not complaining). Not overly complex, but not overly simple either.

Mouthfeel: A crisp, refreshing medium body with plenty of carbonation and a good clean finish.

Drinkability: A fine tasting, easy drinking IPA. To be honest I was expecting a bit more with this one, but then again I just enjoyed a PtE so I may have set the bar a little too high. Either way, this is a tasty IPA and one that I would never turn down.

3.97/5  rDev -8.1%

Thinnish white head (small pour) and goldenrod color.

Smell is straight up citrusy west-coast hops. Kinda leafy.

The hops, as it turns out, are all in the smell. The body is quite refreshing and well-balanced. I don't even like IPAs, but quite subdued and would go great with food. Faint honey, some vegetal hops.

Crisp, bright mouthfeel adds to the 'refreshing' factor.

As a non-IPA lover, this was actually quite enjoyable. I'd consider getting a full one, given the chance.

3.97/5  rDev -8.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

Poured a two fingers of head on a fairly clear straw colored body.
The aroma is a great mix of grapefruit, orange, touch of lemon and grain.
The taste is bold grapefruit bitter with lemon and a slight orange sweet finish. Nicely done.
The texture is crisp with moderate carbonation.
Enjoyable and bold.

look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Many thanks to BA treehouse for sending this along in the n00b 3 BIF.

A - Pours a crystal clear straw color with two fingers worth of head. Head dies down fairly quickly.

S - A pleasant citrusy and piney nose, a smash of lemon and grapefruit, slightly sweet.

T - Strong bitterness with a continuation of the grapefruit and pine nose in the taste. A little watery on the back end, with no malt detected. The flavor dissapoints based on this beer's reputation.

M - Watery mouthfeel with limited carbonation. Doesn't quite support the bitterness imparted in the flavor.

D - Very drinkable and enjoyable overall. I could definitely see enjoying a few of these on a nice spring or summer day on the back deck. If only we got RR in MA...

3.97/5  rDev -8.1%

Found in at Clems bottle house in a 500ml bottled just 10 days after the bottling date, how is the for fresh AB. Poured into a tulip glass since no pints available. Poured with minimal off white head that did not stick around and had little to no lacing during drinking. Smell provided great floral herby notes right from the outset that struck around nicely. The taste was another solid ipa from Russian River, not over powering but a great hop character with good malt balance. Think I may like this as much as some of my favorite west coast brews for a warm summer day. Mouthfeel was full but not viscus with a clean finish.

3.97/5  rDev -8.1%

On tap at the Horse Brass.

Appearance: Pours a clear honey color with about a finger of white head. Both retention and lacing are decent.

Smell: Citrus and grapefruit notes open first. Maybe slight pineapple as well. Plenty of pine and dank hop notes as well. Nice.

Taste: The thing that stands out most to me is the amount of pine and dank hops. Also some citrus (orange rind, grapefruit, and light tropical fruit). Pretty tasty.

Mouthfeel/Overall: This beer is light bodied with medium carbonation. It drinks pretty smoothly and is enjoyable. Overall, it's a pretty darn good IPA, and one I would have again. Very solid.

Poured from a 1 Pint .9fl oz bottle into my pint glass

Pours a murky golden color with a three inch slightly off-white head. Great head retention that last throughout the beer and when fades leaves spiderweb like cobs on the sides of my glass. Apart from the color the lacing is perfect.

Smell is that of tangerines and slight perfume like odor coming through.

Sweet citrus tangerine comes upfront with a slight honey flavor, some lemon, and caramel malts. As this fades there is a light pine hop bitterness that lingers in your mouth.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with medium carbonation.

To give credit and since this might affect my rating score I will mention that this bottle is old. So take in consideration that my score might be a little more down cause of this.

3.96/5  rDev -8.3%

Dark orange with foamy white head and huge lacing. Citrus on the nose, mostly grapefruit, with a little sweet malt in the back. Unexpectedly light tasting in comparison to the dark color. Well balanced with malt, hop flavor and bitterness. Light bodied and slaty flat feeling.

3.96/5  rDev -8.3%

I had this on draft at the Toronado in a pint glass. I'm clearly going to be below the average rating on this review, but I'll admit that is mostly due to the fact that I'm not a tremendous lover of West Coast IPAs.

L: A clear golden orange with minimal head, and apparently low carbonation in general. It looks fine, for sure, but nothing really amazing at all.

A: The nose is where this beer shines, in my opinion. Fresh fresh fresh, with bitter zippy hops supported by a backbone of sweetness. Pine needles in clover honey.

T: The slightest malt backbone is overrun by bitter American hops, and finishes with a tiny bit of sweetness. The tiny finish leaves the tongue feeling clean, and the intense citrus and grapefruit flavors make the beer quite refreshing. It's a bit too bitter and dry for my palate, however.

M: Thinnish but perfectly adequate. It's not a syrupy IPA - but it's the west coast, it's to be expected. A nice carbonation level makes it not thin enough to be bad, but I'd prefer a bit more body.

D: High - perhaps too high. It has a great quenching ability - almost a session beer but the high bitterness would wear you out quickly.

I think I prefer Blind Pig to Pliny, actually, but both are still a bit on the dry/bitter end for me. It's clearly well-made and worth having at least a few times in your life.

3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

Had this really fresh and poured into a tulip; an early September batch.

A: Pours a slightly hazy straw-amber with a decent one finger head that remained to the finish. Nice and sticky on the sides with an oily looking legs. Hard to have a beer look bad in my opinion.

S: Smells like a lighter version of Pliny but a little bit harsher, maybe. Otherwise it has the nice piney smell initially followed by a light sweetness mixed with some tropical fruits. A little bit of booze smell on the end. Smells great but not as heavenly as the Pliny.

T: I feel like this tastes like a slightly less refined and lighter Pliny. I know I keep comparing this to Pliny but I had these side by side and the two were somewhat similar. This has the strong piney hop flavor initially hitting you with bitterness holding to the end. Very slight sweetness and a little harshness from the hops in the middle but finishes smooth and clean.

M: I did not like the mouthfeel too much. It honestly felt very much like water to me. Too light both in body and carbonation. Considering the oily appearance I was a little disappointed that it didn't feel more substantial.

O: Feels like a less refined Pliny with a mouthfeel like water. Easy drinking, but not as refreshing or extraordinary as I would expect.

3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured this 16.9 oz. brown bottle into a Stone Levitation glass. Bottled on 072208. The pale golden body was hazier on the second half of the pour. The head was a creamy off-white. A film of foam remained throughout but left minimal lacing.

Smell was citrus sweet and piney, yum. Sweet bready grain. Alcohol became more evident as it warmed. Almost solvent-like.

Taste was tangy/tart. Green lingering aftertaste. Detergent-like. Grapefruit rind. A tiny amount of caramel malt sweetness peeks out from under the massive hops flavors.

Mouthfeel was somewhat oily, but a little thinner than expected. Mild/moderate carbonation.

Thanks mikesgroove...

Very Good beer. Big hoppy and citrus flavors. Crisp and rather smooth. I would have liked a bit more malt in the finish. However that is a minor complaint. Not as complex as I tend to like my beers. But it is enjoyable. Drinkability is high. As a matter of fact, at 6% I wouldn't mind a keg of this in the den.

3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

Tasted On tap at the brewpub on 6/30/09.

Pours nice thick gold, little head that fades quickly.

Now we're getting into the good IPAs. Great citrus and pine hopes, touch of vanilla.

Flavor has a little sweetness balanced very well by the bitter finish.

This is an excellent straight up IPA.

bottle says 07/22/08
I want to try this one again when I can find it fresh.
The appearance is yellow to amber honey with a head that barely holds on the whole way down. I drank this beer in two separate pours because of glass size and to my shock this is a very cloudy ipa giving it a deep amber look.

the smell is enjoyable it gives way very well to the taste of grassy, spicy and light amount of citrus hops, there is maybe a hint of malt or ester but they are lost in the bitter finish of hops.

the bottle says drink it fresh or dont drink it at all, it would have been better to wait for the store to show a fresher one because drinkability is low for the rep that this has.
my second pour is more drinkable with the slight extra yeast taste to smooth it out

3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

Appearance: beautiful orange amber color. Mostly clear. Two finger white head.

Smell: my god. The smell of this beer is right on. So perfect. Spectacular citrus scent.

Taste: there’s something about this beer that I’m not sure how to explain. I’ve never eaten a hop, but I think it might taste something like this. Smells much better than it tastes.

Mouthfeel: exceptionally smooth and easy to drink.

Overall: everything about this beer screams amazing, except the taste. Still enjoying it but I really wish I could give it a higher rating.

3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

I have two main sources of beer: a large volume chain store, and a small volume specialty store. On a whim, I decided to go to the specialty store tonight... and what do I spy? A BLIND PIG AND A PLINY THE ELDER! I came home, changed my shorts, and am drinking the former as you read this.

My 500ml bottle dated 12/08, I think.

Entire bottle pours into a SINGLE pint glass. When I say pint glass, I'm talking a proper English pint glass. Some guy said he poured it into two pint glasses, and it made me cringe..moving on.

It started a light gold color, and got a little more coppery as the pour continued... and then in went the sediment. I normally don't care, but they should warn you on the label about that. After I completed the pour, it ended being a cloudy copper color.

Tons of hops on the nose. And I'd go so far as saying that it smells like Banana Frost... if you know what that is, you'll know what im talking about. Tons of citrus and pine.

WOW. Hop bomb nuked my palate, luckily im washing my beer down with some mildly spicy mexican food. Citrus pine, almost overload.

Quite drinkable actually, light mouth feel despite the hop bombing received.

Honestly I think this beer is over rated. Too many hop heads have inflated the rating of this beer. If you're one of those, this beer is for you. If you respect and cherish balance, you may not be impressed. Don't get me wrong, it is definitely worth trying.

3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

500ML/16.9 fl.oz. brown bottle with a 'Bottled On:' date of 072308. Poured to a Widmer pint glass. Label shows 6.10% ABV

Label, unlike the pictured 'unauthorized' version, is a rusty orange-brown with the 'Blind Pig' superimposed. Ringing the logo are many admonitions: DRINK FRESH, DO NOT AGE, NOT FOR SAVING etc. There's also an interesting paragraph about the term 'blind pig' - a prohibition era code for a beer, an unmarked mason jar...or something else.

A: An unfiltered copper orange - a fog of tiny suspended bits. It doesn't bother me that this is so relatively opaque (i.e. I can't see my hand through the glass); what bothers me is how little carbonation there is and how quickly the barely one-finger head melts away. The near-white cream dwindles to a thin film, but does leave a fine-looking lace in drooping bands. Color is lovely and lace is beautiful so a 'good' score seems apt.

S: Resinous pine and a pithy, almost dirty, grapefruit. Nostril-tingling tartness (I could actually feel this in my sinuses, a weird dull-throbbing after a big whiff!) coupled with an intensely 'green' lupulin infusion. Just enough sweet malt (more notable with some warming) to counterbalance.

T: If you like your hops BIG you'll love this one - spicy; bracingly bitter; juicy, cheek-drawing citrus rind. I don't recall many, if any, IPAs I've with quite this type of 'hop explosion'. That being said, this isn't really the type of IPA I enjoy; it comes of as boldly flavorful yet somewhat unbalanced. I tried this beer recently on draught with a friend who's a professed 'hop-head' and he actually felt the same way - too bitter without enough malt balance.

M: Probably my favorite aspect of this beer. Creamy, and smooth with a long-lasting hopping sitting firmly on the back of the tongue. Not quite 'pucker-inducing', but 'salivation-causing' or 'appetite-whetting' are descriptors that come to mind. Medium-full in the mouth.

D: Lives up to it's reputation as an intense, flavorful 'West Coast' IPA. Despite that fact, Blind Pig really didn't win me over. This beer has plenty of rave reviews and I can't discount them; mine is that this needs some balance to make it more palatable for my own tastes. Still, it's absolutely worth seeking out - judge for yourself.

3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

500ml bottle poured into my Russian River tulip...

Pours a nice, hazy golden orange with about two fingers of soft white head...some lacing is left behind...

Nice citrus fruit hop presence in the nose. Orange and grapefruit with a slight earthy/dry aroma...

Piny and citrusy, a bit more bitter and dry than expected. Not as resinous or sticky as expected either. Getting more of the earthy/piny dry bitterness than the sweet and oily fruity hop taste...a bit of malt pokes through, but overall this is a pretty one sided, dry hoppy IPA...

Medium bodied, a bit thinner than expected, slightly slick with decent carbonation...

Pretty good IPA, although I prefer the Alpine IPA's I recently tried...would drink again however.

3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

Pours a cloudy orange, not much visible carbonation. 2 inch thick fluffy white head, decent retention and left some good lacing during the drinking period.

Aroma of lemon peel, lemon zest. That notable citrus hop aroma lets you know what you're in store for...

Light malt base with a strong citrus hop presence. I'm not a hop head but this isn't too overpowering - it's not hop juice but you're in for a hoppy ride.

Medium bodied IPA with a lingering bitterness on the tongue, the carbonation helps keep the palate clean and clear.

Good drinkability albeit a little high on the abv scale for a session beer. Could have more than one in a night but for some reason the carbonation in this brew makes me burp a lot more than I'm use to...

500ml bottle poured into cervoise

This straw to slightly deeper yellow with a nice white head beer leaves good spider lacing on the glass. The aroma of pine, grass and slight herbs are picked up on the nose. The taste is much the same, very grassy and the mouthfeel is drying. It was pretty carbonated and almost too 'sharp' in the mouth. This is a very good little brother of the Elder and a good example of the single IPA style.

3.95/5  rDev -8.6%

A: deep orange body, finger head, cool lacing

S: grapefruit, floral, pine

T: sweet grapefruit, good malt, mild earthy pine, malt, long sticky bitter finish

M: med body, sticky/oily mouth, smooth

O: Quite nice, would get again and definitely
recommend this to others. Was a little lighter
in carbonation and not as strong as other
IPAs. Experienced it more like a hoppy pale
ale, than a world class IPA.

VERY GOOD, WORTH GETTING!

3.94/5  rDev -8.8%

A- Dark golden pour with an incredible lacing. The carbonation resembles champagne with their small, uniform, and consistent bubbles.
S- I get earthy, grassy, and resiny. Slight citrus and floral qualities could be perceived.
T-Very dry and very clean drinking beer. There is certainly a spicy and earthy flavor. The finish is bitter but not overwhelming. IBUs???
M- Light bodied. Bready.
O- I love it, but for the same price I'd opt for a PtE. Overall, a great example of the style. I'd like a full keg...

3.94/5  rDev -8.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Pours a fogged gold amber with a creme head. Soapy, hoppy nose. Sharp floral and citrus tones. I got a lot on the flavor. Earth, smoke, citrus, floral, and soapy hops. Real thick earthy character mostly. Feel is low on carbonation and the liquid is fine. Pretty easy to drink and an overall earthy IPA.

3.94/5  rDev -8.8%

Bottled on 7-23-09. This might not be the freshest Blind Pig but I got it on a trade with a user from a car related site.

A- Big white thick and cake like head sits atop a clear, pale orange beer. The head has great retention and moderate lacing.

S- Not very powerful. Its hoppy and floral along with a bit of citrus.

T- Very tasty. Its piney and citrusy. The flavor could use a bit more punch but it might be because this beer is 6 months old already.

M- Medium and smooth body. Goes down well.

D- A pretty highly drinkable IPA.

3.94/5  rDev -8.8%

500mL bottle into Harpoon IPA imperial pint glass; poured cold, warmed as tasted; bottling date of 10/29/2010
A - Cloudy light orange, that cleared somewhat as it warmed; bit of a foamy head that thinned out
S - I mean, just fantastic - like I imagine what Jim Koch gets in that Sam Adams commercial where he rubs the fresh hops between his hands; very earthy, piney and citrusy. Great nose.
T - A bit one-dimensional; get a bit of malt up front, but then the hop assault comes in and though quite tasty, it is also a bit unbalanced, with an edge to it. It got better as the beer warmed up, with some more complexities revealed beneath the pine and grapefruit and some more malt character. Actually like this beer much more than its "big" brother, Pliny.
M - A bit thin to start; carbonation is fairly low and the feel became a bit more substantial towards the bottom of the glass.
D - Decent drinkability, again much more than a Pliny.

This is a good beer, but not as earth-shattering as the preponderance of reviews led me to believe. I consider myself a hophead, but I can run off 5 IPAs better than this one without an effort. Glad I tried it, would get it again without a thought, but it's in the crowd, not at the front of it IMO.

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company