Hello, is it beer you're looking for?

Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Blind Pig IPABlind Pig IPA

Wants: 1,810
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,372 | Hads: 5,323
4.94/5  rDev +14.4%

No finer beer on the planet then Russian Rivers' Blind Pig IPA.

A hoppy beer with a wonderful bitter bite to start off on the first sip. The head is creamy and alive and when a fresh keg is tapped, you get the full experience of a remarkable IPA. Usually tapped in at 6.1-6.25 alcohol, this IPA is not seasonal in any form as it is made for year enjoyment.

4.94/5  rDev +14.4%

Looks as nice as any amberish beer.

Smell makes me want to drink it, now.

Taste is great, right up there with the same brewery's Plinys.

Mouthfeel is nice and hoppy, the way I like it.

I don't know what drinkability is. Any beverage is "drinkable" technically. Any help here?

Russian River beers are hard to find, even in California. Why is that? Are they inept at distribution or something? These beers should be enjoyed the world over.

4.94/5  rDev +14.4%

Thanks to gford217 for the LIF and trade!

Varies in color from light yellow to light orange. Small head with beautiful lacing and a head that clings like hell. Huge grapefruit and lemon aroma. Complex malt characteristics and spice scents.

The hop taste is the most fresh I've ever tasted. The bitterness is perfect and so well balanced with the malt character. Grapefruit and lemon are apparent here as well, and some more tropical fruit flavors. It is medium to full bodied and very sticky in the mouth and throat. The taste stays long after you swallow. Awesome flavor, but not too overwhelming to drink easily.

This is the closest I have come to rating a beer as perfect, and I believe I was right in doing so. This beer is amazing and is sure to please any hop-head, such as myself!

4.92/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours a clear burned orange with lively carbonation and big creamy head that dies into sheets of lacing. Holy moley the smell! Smells like a bag of the world finest reefer! Or big juicy piney hops! Taste is nothing but the finest hops, so juicy, so piney, so delicious! A little malty balance to make this a masterpiece. Medium in the mouth with good carbonation and an awesome bitter hop finish. Sessionable? I wish I had this on demand to session. Honestly the best IPA I've had to date.

4.92/5  rDev +13.9%

Acquired from fogdog courtesy of the 2009 Secret Bunny BIF, so a big "Thank you" goes out to him. Poured from a 16.9oz bottle into an imperial pint glass.

A: The beer is a deep gold color, with a large off-white head that fades slowly and leaves a thick lace on the glass.

S: The aroma is an excellent blend of strong floral hops, fruity citrus and light caramelized malts.

T: The taste is extremely well-balanced with a strong but not over-powering burst of grassy hops and sweet citrus, plus some caramel in the background. The malt character is on the thin side for the style but it works perfectly for this beer. The after-taste is slightly hoppy and slightly sweet.

M: Smooth and very crisp, medium body, medium carbonation, finish is slightly sticky.

D: Very tasty, goes down quite easily, not too filling, good kick, excellent representation of style, this is definitely one of the very best IPA's that I've had. It's the type of beer that is worth drinking a lot of for a whole evening.

4.92/5  rDev +13.9%

A - Poured into a pint glass. Pours a slightly-cloudy golden color with a large head that dissipates slowly with very nice lacing.

S - Grapefruit, pine, tangerine, and maybe some pineapple.

T - Similar to the smell. Sweet citrus, some breadiness with a slightly bitter finish.

M - medium, almost thin-bodied, nice creamy mouthfeel.

D - The thinner mouthfeel and 6.1% ABV makes this a very sessionable beer.

4.92/5  rDev +13.9%

Presentation: I recently had the distinct pleasure to sample copious Pints of this over several days on draft at Russian River Brewing Company. In short this was so good that I decided to grab a Brewery filled Growler (expertly filled to the brim by Matt on Monday) to bring home. After spending the night in the fridge it was time to crack this puppy and ravage it. The Review is for the Growler.

Listed as:
6.0%ABV / 1.0?? O.G / 65 BUs
Blind Pig IPA: (More information coming soon)

Appearance: Lush self-assertive brass-golden-orange with a perfectly lucid body. A handful of streamers punctuate the torso. Faded cartridge paper head looks matted but retains a nice creamy look; the cloth cap survives a thinning but never gets below ¼”. Ridged ring-type lacing braces the interior of the glass. Middling conditioning is nicely dissolved and of medium strength, lively but short-lived on the swirl. The appearance is of a brew that has nothing to hide and everything to give.

Nose: Each gentle swirl invokes a short-lived burst of carbonation which in turn seems to release a massive hop-laden burst of aromas and a “fresh from the hop field” spiky greenness. Piney hops are inter-mingled with a nice cushion of cut grass and a mild fruity aspect with a feint backdrop of Christmassy coniferous bursts. Hmmmm, damn good.

Taste: After the nose you think you know how good this one will be; and it doesn’t let you down, it is equal to the inviting nose, but maybe not as good. However, the high bitter hops in the nose are balanced on the palate with well placed malts and a juicy fruitiness that are both well distributed by the soft conditioning. Raw, biting, fresh, crushed hop-cone finish mingles with a rasping sharp lemony-grapefruit pull on the cheeks. Has a nice puckering bitterness that is balanced, to some degree, by the malts though. I can’t help but think of this as anything but a definitive version of the West Coast IPA. I am sure the professional and home Brewers amongst us could add a critique or expand on a technical 'room-for-improvement' comment here or there, and peg this as a 4.5, but for me, as a "sat at the bar punter", this is just perfect. I couldn't add anymore to this, and if could, it would just be a bonus.

Mouthfeel: Man’s best friend and much more a Guide Dog than a Blind Pig. Devoted, dependable, solid, always there for you, subservient and at your beckon call, it keeps an eye out for you too. It never looses anything, start to finish. Far from overpowering, unlike the heavy-hitting IPA’s out there this 6.4% version looses nothing in Mouthfeel or Drinkability to its strength. Dare I say that the RR Blind Pig IPA has that (very) dangerous “Pliny the Younger” Mouthfeel; you’ll know what I mean by that if you have had the latter.

Drinkability: So drinkable, just ever-so dangerously quaffable. Even with all of the great RRBC beers available, some 10 or so regular (sic) and Belgian styles during my visit, I found myself constantly returning to the Blind Pig IPA as my “comfort Pint”. The thing is, at 6.4% ABV it does have a tendency to creep up on you in the evening when you started drinking just after midday, it knocked me out on New Years Eve for sure. Equally adept as a stand alone brew, I had a half of the Growler before I demolished a home-made curry, yet even after that feisty spicy monster, the remaining half Growler of the Blind Pig IPA cuts through my spiced tingling curry tongue and it *still* delivers, this is a Curry beer for sure, always the sign of a great IPA I find.

Overall: Another Tasty Adult Beverage; indeed. Do NOT leave RRBC without sampling at least a Gallon of this at the Bar then getting yourself a Growler, or two, before you depart, you’ll need it for when you start to get the withdrawal symptoms…..I did!!!

*Highly Recommended*.

4.92/5  rDev +13.9%

500ml bottle poored into a pint glass. Thanks for sending this one Rick!

A golden honey colored body with an orange tinted hue. It displays a lage off white head that us sticky, cream and well brillaint. Excellent lace deposits all around the glass on this. As if it didn't look good enough the nose comes through evenn better, WOW! Super fresh and oozing with pine, pineapple, grapefruit and orange/lemon zest. The taste is again exceptional with the same exploading juicey hop flavors as in the nose plus some dry/spiceness on a very well done sweet malted canvase. This beer is between med/thick but with a great hop oil feel that keeps it going down smooth. Overall even though Blind Pig is extreme and bursting with flavor it is in no way overwellming. Just as well done as an IPA can be IMO.

4.92/5  rDev +13.9%

After Pliny, this beer flows like water in my household...Pours a straw colored gold in color. About half a inch of head develops on the pour. Smell is very citrusy and juicy. Wonderful. Taste is even more citrusy and juicy hops than appear in the nose. Light, bitter, but exploding with juciness. I love this. It's an overused expression, but, I could drink this all day long and never tired of it. I might even go out on a limb and say that I'm enjoying this more then the PtE.

4.92/5  rDev +13.9%

This pours an amber tan color with tremendous white foam. The aroma is full on orange and orange marmalade. So fresh and vibrant. Eminently pleasing flavor. Makes me think of orange and grape blossoms with some grapefruit citrusy notes. All through the miracle of hops! Nice body on this, piney and hoppy, with a rounded bitterness and a dry finish. Delicious.

4.92/5  rDev +13.9%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass, bottle on date 8-4-2011. Thanks to rmaste6282 for sending me this one.

Appearance: Clear golden-copper with an off white head two fingers thick that slowly fades into a thin lacing and clings to the side of the glass.

Aroma: Very impressed with this aroma! Tropical fruits, grapefruit, citrus, pine, everything that is good about a double IPA, but is found in this IPA.

Taste: I think this is what impressed me the most. IPAs in general I found to be some what one dimensional when it comes to flavor. Blind Pig offers incredible depth of flavor. Grapefruit, tropical fruit, pine, citrus, exactly like the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Dry lingering finish with medium carbonation and medium body.

Overall: This is easily my favorite IPA, I could see myself drinking these all the time. If only I could get them on a regular bases.

4.92/5  rDev +13.9%

First off I need to give props to Matt at capones for always having such and exeptional take out and on draft list..especially during the draft events. He does it up top notch.

Blind pig is an excellent ipa, very drinkable. Golden amber appearance with minimal head, excellent lacing. Smells of citrus and even honey with malt mixed in here and there. Mouthfeel is very good and they go down very easily. I stopped myself after 2 but I could have easily had 2 more without any problem, too bad I drove there. Russian river hit it right on the button with this brew. Its super tasty and I love it. Cannot wait until its sold in PA on a regular basis.

4.92/5  rDev +13.9%

Pours an orangy golden amber with a nice 3/4" head. Beautiful ribbons of lacing and wonderful head retention.

The aroma is piney citrus, sweet caramel malt and sweet pink grapefruit. Smells gorgeous.

The taste is pure pink grapefruit balaced against toasty, caramel malt which gives way to a tasty green leafy hops, all in spectacular balance.

The mouthfeel is smooth and velvety while at the same time tongue-tickling.

It's a joy to drink and I only wish I had ready access to this benchmark American IPA so I could drink more.

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%

A: Looks as good as an IPA can get. Nice apricoty cloudy color with a not so dense head. Beautiful color, makes me wish it was warmer outside.

S: Apricoty, like the color oddly enough, sweet. Not super strong, but really amazing.

T: The least bitter IPA I've ever had. And somewhat smooth for an IPA too. Difficult to describe. Hoppy of course. Some pine. The body is smooth and creamy, very different. There's a vanilla ice cream flavor in there, right in the middle of the flavor. The aftertaste is bitter like an IPA, but not so strong.

M: Soft with a carbonation sparkle on top.

D: Not poundable, but i think this one is just fantastic. Yet the sum of it's parts somehow seem less than as individual traits, which is strange to say. I think this is my highest rated review yet. Best IPA I've ever had. Different, and quite special.

Holy crap, what a great beer.

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%

At the brewpub I had the tasty priveledge of drinking this citrus delight. Smelled and tasted like the storage rooms at tropicana juice company. Great clarity, great carbonation, great taste, less filling, where do I stop? This is what all breweries should strive to brew. Once you have one every other beer in the workd is at least a little disappointing. No joke. I am ruined. Until I can get back to Santa Rosa that is.

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%

Appearance: deep golden color, white head lingers on and on, with each sip lacing leaves a tiger stripe on the glass. Picturesque!

Smell: punch in the face hop aroma, citrus, and pine.

Taste: big, big, big hop taste. Citrus, grapefruit some orange, and also some pine. Flavors are deep.

Mouthfeel: substantial coating.

Drinkability: if I could get my hands on this regularly I would be drinking it all the time. I liked this better than the elder. Yeah, I said it.

4.89/5  rDev +13.2%

And again my thanks go out to BrewerB for this fantastic extra.

500mL bottle poured into a tulip glass.

A: Pours a beguiling mix between a golden yellow and a copper orange, if you but those two colors together the result is bling pig. The beer is topped with a sticky and pockmarked one inch head that settles into a nice half inch cap that fades into a ring and leaves bits of lacing here and there.

S: This beer, I believe, is the definiton of what an American IPA should smell like. Sweet sweet citrus: mango, grapefruit and pineapple mixed with a healthy dose of nutty pine and a mild backbone of caramel malty sweetness.

T/MF: Taste is equally fascinating, a healthy dose of pine and grapefruit rind mixing together, mildly phenolic with a slight herbaly mediciny twang that is not that bothersome to me. This beer strikes some kind of balance between earthy and fruity with a solid amount of malty smoothness on the back end to balance about the bitterness of this beer. Given additonal warmth the beer opens up into more of a mellony pineapple profile while still maintaining that same pine opening. Mouthfeel is medium bodied, slightly sticky but also incredibly smooth but could perhaps benefit from the tiniest increase in carbonation, otherwise flawless.

D: Insanely drinkable, tastes like a DIPA but drinks like an IPA a marvel of balance between malts and hops. An absolute wonder from the west coast. I think I'm in love with Russian River.

4.89/5  rDev +13.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

17.25 oz. bottle purchased at Ales Unlimited (gotta ask for it!) in San Francisco, CA, bottled on 5/2/13, poured into a hotel style glass and drank over ~30 minutes.

A: 4.75 - straw yellow coloration, hop haze (couldn't read through), white half-finger head subdues into subtle glass lacing, moderate alcohol legs for a 6+% beer

S: 5 - BOOM! lots and lots of grapefruit, pine, resiny dank aromas just pouring out of the bottle on opening the glass; as it warms, you definitely pick up more of the bready/biscuity qualities of the malt; really nicely-balanced aroma here!

T: 5 - based on the aroma, I was anticipating a slap of bitterness, which I don't usually enjoy, but I didn't get this at all! There is a slight bitterness on the anterior tongue but in the middle of the mouth, hop flavors predominate...pine, resin, tangerine and lots and lots of grapefruit again on the back of the tongue/aftertaste; little malt presence for me and super-dry

M: 4.5 - moderate bodied; high (and impressive) carbonation just pouring off the bottom of the glass in tight little bubbles and pushing the hop aroma right into your face; the only flaw here, I think, was the alcohol was a little too present in the taste for my liking and the relatively low content

O: 4.75 - definitely an exemplar of a West Coast IPA; lots of dank, citrus flavor and aroma, superdry; I'd put this up there with Ballast Point Sculpin, Green Flash IPA, Stone IPA and others as the best examples in class; cheers!

4.89/5  rDev +13.2%

First off, I'm spoiled. I get this beer and pliny pretty much anytime I want and the oldest date I receive is brewed two weeks prior to me buying it. With that said, I decided to review this particular bottle 7/18/11

A- Not bad at all, but less head than I normaly like on an IPA. Pretty much non existent.

S- Not as light and floral as pliny. Really heady hop aromas . Pine, grass and a whole lot citrus.

T- Again, richer than it's counter part. I think this beer is even more complex than pliny. Candied orange, skunky herbal notes, spice and a perfect balance.

M- Almost perfect mouthfeel. I just like a little more lace.

O- Absolutely in my top 3 IPAS

4.89/5  rDev +13.2%

Maybe the ultimate IPA. Huge nose, just exploding with flowery hops. The smell is maybe the highlight of the beer. Light pale body with light pale malts. The coolest thing is, dispite all the hops (more than you'd a thought fit into a pint), it isn't intensely bitter at all. Major drinkability, very delicate flavors that were artisically brewed with the perfect touch and balance. It's simultaneously every hop lover's wet dream, and not too intimidating for anyone.

If Furious is G.W.A.R.'s version of an IPA, then this is J.S. Bach's. But then that would make Hop Devil the Beatles and Dreadnaught would be Led Zeppelin. Highly highly recommended to everyone. VInnie has a subtle touch that makes bold statements. This is art in a glass. Cheers!

4.89/5  rDev +13.2%

Got from a trade with route66pubs. Thanks for the tasty brews!

A- Pours a deep golden color with a thick white foam head that leaves tons of sticky lacing all the way down the sides of my glass.

S- This one is bursting forth with citrusy hop aroma. Tons of grapefruit, orange peel, lemon, and pine are all present in the nose. Smells exactly like an IPA should.

T- Just about as good as it gets...Huge flavor of ruby red grapefruit, pineapple, passion fruit, tangerine, and a delicate floral hoppy bitterness that is phenomenal. The bitterness is quick to show itself initially but waves of tropical fruit flavor take center stage. I can't say that any malt flavor is detectable but the finish is about as smooth as possible for an IPA.

M- Medium bodied with a nice amount of carbonation that works well with the bitterness. No alcohol present in the taste at all. Ridiculously smooth and easy on the palate.

D- I'm not sure if I have had a better tasting IPA. I love all of the breweries that we get in the Midwest but I would probably trade any of them for Russian River. These guys are the Kings of IPAs.

4.89/5  rDev +13.2%

Poured from a 500ml bottle into a Dogfish Head Signature glass. Big thanks to my bro-in-law Jon for the fresh Blind Pig hookup. Bottled 4/13/12.

A: Crystal clear golden color. Mildly aggressive pour leads to a thick, frothy one-finger head that fades to wispy swirls. Lacing is not all that thick but is consistent.

S: Super sticky hoppy smell. Fresh grapefruit hop with pine-soaked resin. It smells as if I rubbed fresh hop oil in the palm of my hands and pulled it to my nose. Not to be outdone is the thick malt backbone big enough to balance such a huge hop punch. So delicious.

T: Follows the exact same road that the nose takes with huge citrus presence and grassy notes. Wonderful malt flavor profile here as well makes this beer so freaking delicious.

M: Creamy, sticky mouth coating of hop oils makes this a most excellent mouth feel. Perfectly carbonated and a perfect finish.

O: Absolutely perfect IPA. I don't think there is a beer that Russian River makes that even has a hint of suck. At one week and one day old it's at the peak of freshness and it's absolutely wonderful.

4.89/5  rDev +13.2%

First time I had this I thought it was no good. I had no idea what I was tasting. Looked at the date and it was old.. finally grabbed a fresh one..in blown. This is one of the best ipa I've ever had

4.88/5  rDev +13%

A - A rich-orange-yellow color that is gloriously hazy and raw looking. You can see sediment floating around in the glass. Head is bright white and laces spectacularly well. Everything about this beer is bright and beautiful looking.

S - Clean hops, bread, citrus, molasses malt, some spice. Really pure aroma. A bit light.

T - Wow. This is my first encounter with a Russian River beer and I already understand what people are talking about. This is spectacular. Tastes like light pine and there's just some faint citrus and a little coriander maybe. Apricot in there, too. What really stands out about this beer is how crisp it is...This tastes like it came from a paradise that doesn't know pollution. This is so unbelievably clean and pristine tasting. I'm blown away by how truly unique this is.

M - Unbelievable. No other beer I've ever tasted touches how perfect the mouthfeel is for what kind of beer it's trying to be. The guys at RRBC really know what they're doing here. Pretty thick, but it's still light and airy in the way a steam beer is airy. Carbonation is medium and perfectly appropriate. A very dry afterbite that is so utterly crisp. The hops bite in a place in my mouth that I've never experienced before. Really unique.

D - This is one hell of a beer. I think this brew is probably underrated because people will always consider it side by side with the Plinys and RRB's fantastic Wild Ales. This is a fantastic beer in every sense of the word. Extraordinary. I hope I can get my hands on this again. This is truly great.

4.88/5  rDev +13%

A- orange tinge with exceptional carbonation

T- very well balanced and hopped with a nice citrus perhaps even tropical appeal to the flavor. the hop flavor is floral at the end and doesnt linger or coat the palate excessivly

S- sweet and citus notes that are enticing and complement that flavor profile

M- rounded and smooth followed by a slight bite that blends nicely

overall an amazing ipa that isnt too strong, maybe a similar style with a little maltiness wwould be nice but i can appreciate this beer all around, i will be buying more tomorrow!

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company