Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Blind Pig IPABlind Pig IPA

Wants: 1,517
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blind Pig IPA Alström Bros

1.2/5  rDev -72.5%

1.5/5  rDev -65.6%

2.05/5  rDev -53%

On draft at the Mountain Sun brewpub in Boulder on 9/24/11. Assuming it was fresh since it was draft and the week of GABF...

A - Appears cloudy and unfiltered. Kinda ugly but some of the best IPA's are unfiltered (usually they smell better anyways) so I wasn't too worried. Has a short cap of white foam atop a thin looking beer of super pale wheat color.

S - Tangerine peel and wheat with some pithy citrus rind. Not bad, but nothing that impressive either tbh.

T - Oi, this was bland as hell. Same mild citrus that I found in the aroma plus a little pineapple to mingle with the tangerine. There's just no body or depth here to carry the positive aspects of the beer through to the finish though. No malt flavor at all.

M - Zoinks, Scooby... it's a mystery why this beer is so widely regarded. This was WAY over carbonated. Drinking it was painful... like a freshly opened bottle of Perrier mineral water except on steroids (pretend you somehow managed to dissolve several of those mini-CO2 cartridges in the beer before serving it).

O - This was unpleasant to drink. I wanted to dump it but we had to consume this outside the restaurant was so damn busy. I really wanted to like this, but hell... it was terrible. The main issue was the carbonation (which I will assume the local tap lines are to blame, not RR). But the flavor was dull and muted, with a lackluster aroma.

All I can think is that this was an old and severely mistreated keg of beer which was then hooked up to improperly functioning tap lines. I definitely want to try this again (preferably from a fresh bottle), but I don't hold super high hopes right now.

2.5/5  rDev -42.7%

2.5/5  rDev -42.7%

2.55/5  rDev -41.5%

A - Light orange color with an inch of head which retained itself quite well.

S - Smelled of strong hops with a little citrus mixed in.

T - Grapefruit citrus at first but then all that I tasted was an overpowering hop taste.

M - Light taste with decent carbonation.

D - Considering RR's Pliny the Elder has become one of my favorite Double IPAs, just seemed to lack the balance I have come to expect from my favorite IPAs and experienced from Pliny the Elder. Not for me. For others that enjoy the large amount of hop taste.

2.75/5  rDev -36.9%

2.75/5  rDev -36.9%

2.8/5  rDev -35.8%

2.88/5  rDev -33.9%

A-An almost glowing golden color...nice lacing on the glass.

S-The smell is sweet citrus...ripe oranges, pinneaples, and tangerines....a mild caramel like maltiness blends in nicely

T-Similar, but different that the nose...where the nose leads one to think sweet fruit cocktail, the taste is actually sharply citrus, with piney notes as well. The fruits on the taste are unsweetened pink grapefruit, and orange peel.

M-Seems one-sided....more of a hop juice style IPA than a juicy flavorful IPA....malt seems to be missing in the body....finishes very dry and bitter

D-Depends on what you want in an IPA and what you like. This is as bitter an IPA as I've had but lacks the overall juicy hop notes I like. I much preferred Pliny to this. I always like to compare the big hitters to our state's best known canned IPA Surly Furious (which is kind of in the middle of the IPA and DIPA area imho). Personally I think Furious is a better beer. The bitterness is about the same but Furious has a better overall flavor to me. I know others really like this and it has won many awards but for me it is not an elite IPA because it is too one-sided and lacks the juicy flavorful hop elements I enjoy.

2.9/5  rDev -33.5%

Drank from a 1 PINT .9 FL. OZ./500 ML bottle purchased at City Beers, San Francisco, CA
Bottled on 070908
Served in a pint glass

The beer poured a crystal clear, yellowish-amber color. Rather light for the style. The two-finger, bubbly, bright white head left thick rings of sudsy looking lacing all down the glass.

The aroma was hoppy and fruity. Citrusy with strong notes of orange, grapefruit and a hint of tropical fruits.

The taste was super hoppy and bitter from start to finish. Somewhat astringent. I could hardly detect any malt presence in this beer. The hops were crisp, spicy and grapefruit-like up front and they turned super piney by mid-palate. This intense, piney, bitter flavor carried into the dry and pithy finish. Overall, not a terribly complex beer.

The mouthfeel was medium bodied (a touch lighter than expected) with an average amount of carbonation.

This was unquestionably one of the most bitter beers I have sampled to date. I can appreciate a wide array of IPA's but there needs to be some semblance of balance for me to find them enjoyable.

2.95/5  rDev -32.3%

If the only falvour you expect in a beer is hops then this is the beer for you.

The slightly off-white head instantly dissapated to leave my usual 12 ounces of beer in my pint glass. As an aside I asked for a top-up, didn't get one again, and thus left no tip.
Anyway, the smell was all floral, and I got nothing else, although I have to say that I think the rating of ice-cold beer on its nose is a slightly futile task. The taste was all hops, it;s bitter without balance and there is nothing else going on bar a bit of orange and a tiny bit of malt fighting, unsucessfully, to show its face.
On the finnish you get a really dry tongue that doesn't feel great. I had two because it was this, Anchor steam or hoegarten and it got no better on the second.
I'm flabbergasted this is rated as one of the world's 100 best beers.

2.95/5  rDev -32.3%

So, I am sure many of you will disagree with me on this, but personally, I did not enjoy this beer. Though, I can understand why so many people enjoy it.

I never understood why smell was a category in these rating, but this beer is why! I have never smelled a drink that had such a great aroma. It has a very strong floral scent that I find refreshing.

The problem (for me) is that it has such an unpleasant bitterness to it that I couldn't enjoy it. I was quite disappointed, but as I said, I can understand why others enjoy it.

2.98/5  rDev -31.7%

Bottled on 1/03/2011 poured into tulip.

A honey gold color with one finger head. Floral hops in the nose, but not as strong as I was hoping. On the front end of the taste seems extremely watered down which is disappointing. The hop bitterness kicks in on the back end, but I still cant get over the water down flavor. Mouthfeel is medium bodied with decent carbonation and the drinkability is average. I just don't like the watered down taste in the beginning mixing with the bitter end.

Maybe This IPA is a little past its drink by date, but I have had double troubles 3 months after bottling and it still tasted amazing.

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company