Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Blind Pig IPABlind Pig IPA

Wants: 1,753
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blind Pig IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 5,136 | Reviews: 1,383
4.6/5  rDev +5.3%

Had this on tap at the brewery as part of a recent road trip.

A- Bright amber/copper in color with a thick gleaming white head. Fantastic head retention and lacing throughout the entire brew. Just a great looking beer.

S- Oh wow, tons of citrusy hops with a bit of sweetness to round it out nicely. This is really what an IPA should smell like. So well rounded, not necessarily balanced though. I don't really expect "balance" in a West Coast IPA anyways ;)

T- Damn, flawless. Such a divine blend of citrus hops, grapefruit, orange, pineapple, it all seems to be there. There's even a slight caramel flavor to it as well, something I wasn't really expecting but is much appreciated.

M- Smooth, light-medium body. Well-carbonated.

D- Man, I could drink a ton of this stuff, but the sheer enormity of flavors is nearly a turnoff. An excellent beer and perhaps my new favorite IPA. I wish I would have bought a few bottles of it now.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

This is the first beer I ordered through the mail - from South Bay Drugs in Imperial Beach CA.

A very impressive IPA!!! Poured into my Weeping Radish Brewery pint glass. Pours a dark gold, completely clear, with a good size white head. Good head retention and heavy ladder like lacing.

Smell is of strong floral hops.

Tastes great!!! Based on the smell, I was expecting a fairly harsh floral hops taste with strong bitterness (fine for me because I am a hophead). The floral hops were there but the taste and mouthfeel were almost pillow-like soft and smooth....like the IPA counterpart to a Helles lager. There is hoppiness and bitterness but the overall effect on the tongue and palate is soft. Mouthfeel is a hair light but the combination of taste and soft feel more than make up for this.

Drinkability is awesome. I could swill this all night!!! A pity this is not available here in Virginia. A truly great beer.

On draft at O'Brien's

Appearance is a clear amber hue, thin white layer of dense head, big thick lacing all over the glass

Smell is huge hops --grapefruit, pine resin, grass, lemon zest--, sweet bread malt tones linger in the background

Taste is moderate-full hop flavors, sweet grapefruit and citrus balance out the more bitter pine resin, hints of bread and grain malts are barely perceptible, finishes dry and bitter

Mouthfeel is full-bodied, thick and oily texture, moderate carbonation

Drinkability is high, great flavor and body for a single IPA at 6%, solid throughout, no glaring shortcomings for this style, definitely a favorite and repeat performer, this ranks on my short list of top single IPAs

4.6/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Same as everybody else: bottled 5/02/2013

Poured into a cold large glass Just big enough to hold the entire 17.25 oz after a little sip.

Seductive honey color with a thumb-width cream-colored head which dissolved into a thin line with light delicate lacing.

I got a good hops whiff when I opened the bottle but after the pour the smell was pretty weak. Later, as the beer warmed a little, I got good honey and malt smells, but somewhat light on the citrus or pine.

Great flavor! Loads of hops but surprisingly light on the bitterness. It's there, just not the massive IBUs of some. Now... I LIKE high IBUs and might normally downgrade an IPA for being too light, but this beer pulls it all together. This is the taste I want.

Mouthfeel? I call it after-taste. After the swallow you get the resiny hops clinging to the tongue and supplying plenty of recycled flavor. I sort of pump my tongue to cycle this past my nose. I dare say this is my favorite part of any big-hops beer. Now I sort of like Palate Wrecker better for this -- not for quality, but for shear quantity and durability of the aftertaste. For aftertaste quality, this Blind Pig is as good as it gets, in my opinion.

Overall: YES. What else can I say?

look: 5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

I thought it was every bit as good as Pliny the Elder.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A - Orange/straw with a thick foamy white head.

S - Florally aroma with loads of citrus, and pine. Some bready maltness comes through.

T - As expected, it follows the nose. Grapefruit tartness balanced by bready malts, bitter hops, and clean dry finish. Citrus/hops/malt sweetness is in perfect balance.

M - Bubbly on the tongue with medium body.

D - Holy crap is this drinkable. I could drink these all night. Another excellent brew by RR.

4.6/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was a very great beer. Was recommended from a worker at Total Wine. Supposedly very rare. I was definitely pleased with my purchase and would buy it again. I prefer Pliny the Elder, but definitely a good choice nonetheless. Definitely recommend you try it if you ever get the chance.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from bottle into pint glass. Bottled on 01/21/2011 and sampled on 02/06/2011. The freshest IPA I've had from Russian River.

Remarkably clear for a hoppy beer. Yellow gold color with 1/2'' white head that left a pleasing lacing on the glass. Aroma of grapefruit and citrus with slight pineyness.

Moderate carbonation is just enough for the style. Any more and it would be fizzy. Citrus hops up front. Lots and lots of grapefruit. Toasty, biscuit body is just perceivable and perfect. Piney resin finish with more grapefruit. Not bitter but not sweet. Very balanced yet seriously hop forward. Dry.

I could drink this beer all night. It's simply delicious. Compared to the hype that Pliny gets, this is my go-to IPA from Russian River. AMAZING.

On tap at the brewery.

A: Pours a dark yellow/golden color with a big 2 finger white foam head. A good amount of lacing the whole way through the drink.

S: Grapefruit citrus hops are the most predominant scent. Very strong and very inviting.

T: If you enjoy ample amounts of citrus hops, grapefruit, pineapple and lemon, this is your beer. There are some malt character the evens out the beer.

M: Leaves a nice dry bitter finish on the palate.

D: Easy to drink IPA. A lower ABV does not make this 'sessionable' but it is easy to enjoy multiple in a sitting.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pours an orange color with a frothy white head that builds up in my new Sam Adams glass (thanks franksnbeans). Lacing is left along the side of the glass the entire time. Smell is of herbs, earthy grass, pine and citrus. Smells like a christmas tree with grapefruit ornaments. Taste is light sweetness of the citrus followed by a moderate bitter finish. Mouthfeeling is crisp and a little oily with some lively carbonation.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Had this a few times now, I guess it's time to review it. Received in a few different trades thanks to MiScusi and swnicholson. Thanks!

Most recently, Half liter bottle (7/09/08) into a Bruery-Branded Tulip. Beautiful golden caramel color, the glass helps to form a one inch off white head that leaves a thick abundance of lacing.

This holds up over time a lot better than Pliny, but still almost 6 months down the road has shown some deterioration. Fresher bottles I have had were nothing short of amazing- this one is still surprisingly vibrant in the nose.

Great citrus, pineapple all over the place in the aroma. I can't stop wanting to smell this beer.

Bitter enough to get my IPA fix, but more importantly bitter enough so that my friends won't raid my stash. Great stickiness about the hop flavor that coats your tongue. A slight background of a sweetness from the caramel malt really lets the hop flavor shine rather than an overbearing straight forward bitterness.

I could drink this all day if I had regular access to it. I suppose my bias is toward sessioning IPAs but this one goes down the hatch easy. For me, it's a catch 22- I don't have regular access to it, so I want to savor it when I get the chance, but it goes down so smooth!

Bottle dated 12.06.10
A-clear and orange with white lacy head.
S-grapefruit and pine. Very nice
T-nice hop taste through out. Some honey and floral notes. I think its better than pliney, but thats just one mans opinion.
M-medium bodied and smooth. Nice hop aftertaste
D-awesome. Goes down fast and smooth

really sets the ipa standard

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Had on tap today at the Blue Dog Tavern in Chalfont.

Poured into a tulip glass. Light hazy straw color. Not much head. About a pinky fingers worth. Tremendous lacing left on the glass though.

Smells awesome. Lots of fresh ripe grapefruit. Lots of pine and some fresh cut grass.

Tastes like a baby version of PTE! Like in the nose, theres tons of grapefruit and pine, fresh citrus and cut grass. The best tasting IPA ive had yet.

Great mouthfeel. Nice amount of carbonation. I would call this a little lighter then medium but not really light bodied. Smooth and fluffy mouthfeel.

Awesome drinkability. At 6% i could drink this all day. Russian River brews pure awesomness. I had no doubt in my mind that would be a great brew. I wasn't disappointed.

95/100

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

A: Pour a nice light goldish hue with an above average head. The retention is good and some nice layers of sheet lace are noted.

S: Nice hop aroma, not as strong as the growlered version I enjoyed earlier in the year. It starts off with a nice blast of grapefruit with hints of green grass.

T: Still quite enjoyable when it comes to taste. Huge flavors really push thru on this one. Bold grapefruit with a huge helping of bitter hops. Touches of grass and pine can be detected. Nice array of hops can be detected here, and they seem to come in layers.

M: Medium in body with snappy carbonation. It really clings to the mouth allowing the beer to linger and provide full enjoyment.

D: Very drinkable by bottle or growler. It is one of the best tasting most drinkable beers in the world. I would put it up against any IPA in the world. Ittt'sss Gooodddd! A bit better in the growler than the bottle, but if I had access I would drink this one all summer long.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into a nonic. Bottled 2/2/09. Bottle courtesy of OStrungT, this one's kicking off a string of west coast hop assaults. Thanks!

Pours a golden amber color with a nice, plush, two finger head. Retention is great, and there's some sticky lacing on the glass.

Classic west coast IPA nose. Hops and hops and hops. Bushels of citrus fruits as well as pine resin. The aroma is deliciously fruity and bitter at the same time.

The first thing about the flavor that sticks out to me is that the malt backbone is much more evident than in the nose, and is more than capable of balancing all of the delicious hop bitterness. Obviously, some of the hop character has faded over the last seven months, so I will be re-reviewing when I have a fresh bottle. That aside, this is a delicious beer, even after seven months in the bottle. There's still a nice hoppy kick, and there's a great balance between sweet and bitter.

This beer is ridiculously drinkable. I'm having to stop myself from gulping it. The only other IPA I can think of that I gave a 5 for drinkability was Masala Mama, and this may have it beat. The carbonation level is perfect, and it's a very, very smooth drinker. This is an outstanding IPA, and I think I like it better than Pliny.

4.6/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle dated 01-02-13

A- clear pale golden

S- bright lemon, hint of spice and malt.

T- bright lemon, malt and earthiness

M- light body, strong carbonation

O- fantastic. Wish I could have it every day in the summer. Drank a hopslam yesterday and I enjoy and prefect the lighter body and big hops.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

born on date 06/07/10... drank on 06/16/10... now that's fresh!

poured slowly into lost continent tulip.

Pours a nice tangerine orange with a nice two finger of white head.

The aroma is citrus and bitter. Lots of tangrine, grapefruit notes.

The taste is great. Tons of hops in your face with a mild malt sweetness back bone. An amazing west coast hop bomb. Tons of bitter orange on the palate after you sip this brew. After severeal sips the bitter finish gets longer and stronger.

An amazing brew that is just as good and just slightly easier to get the Pliny.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at Monks in Illadelphia.

A: Really nice looking copper color. The lacing on this beer was super impressive. Everything you want in an IPA.

S: Hops. Hops. Hops. Smelled good in the hop district. That was all this beer had with a distinctly west coast slant. Honestly that is all you want and it was perfect.

T: Really awesome. I had a fresh bottle of this a few months back and the draft version really blew it away. The hops totally overpower anything else going on but when they taste like this who cared. Quite bitter but that is why we play this game.

M: Just a delight on the tongue.

D: There was talk for a little while of abandoning all other plans and sessioning Blind Pig for hours. To the BAs out west I am jealous. This is an amazing beer.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

500 ml bottle. Bottled on 07-09-08. 6.10% abv.

Slightly cloudy, golden yellow body. Tall, thick, puffy, beige-white head lasts forever! Luscious, fresh, juicy hop nose. Big citrus and pine dominate. Some pineapple, butterscotch, and shortbread cookie are there too.

Taste starts with herbal hops bitterness and toasted malt. Big citrus and pine hops take over. Shortbread cookie and caramel malt in the background. This one is all about the hops though. Resinous pine bitterness is pervasive and numbingly delicious and appetizing. Raw citrus and sap in the finish. Medium body with a creamy feel. A quintessential West Coast IPA done to damn near perfection. I wish I could get this more easily!

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I bought this beer at the SOMA Whole Foods in San Francisco, after picking up a Pliny the Elder last week, and am currently kicking myself for not trying Russian River beers sooner.

Looking about exactly how I picture a good IPA, the beer pours relatively clear and beautifully golden with thin lacing. It smells of citrus and pine, not the overwhelming floral explosion of Pliny, but pleasant in its own right.

Blind Pig has great taste and feel for an American IPA. It is light and pleasant without a single sour note. The hops are delicious, and the alcohol highlights them well. There are some subtle flavors that I won't attempt to identify but am definitely able to appreciate. The beer is crisp and refreshing in both feel and taste and leaves a pleasant bitterness on the tongue.

As for drinkability, I would like to sit and drink this beer all day. Blind Pig doesn't overwhelm your senses or knock you over with flavor. It's just a great hoppy beer that could be enjoyed anytime. Sitting outside with a cooler of these on a hot day (maybe, up on the Russian River) would be a marvelous way to relax.

Note: In case anyone cares in the slightest, ABV is marked as 6.10% and not 6.00% as on Beer Advocate. Bottled on 7/8/08.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

I think this is absolutely one of the best IPAs around, with definite hop dominance, but plenty of malt character, flavour, range, and depth to back this up and keep it very interesting.

It is pale amber with a pretty big off-white head.

The aroma is mosty grapes, raisins, some wine and fruit, with grapefruit, lemon, general citrus, and a hint of pine.

The taste is similar, with the same elements and range as the aroma. None of the hop elements, grapefruit or otherwise, is too strong so they all are evident. Each element is fairly restrained, for example compared to the Russian River IPA, where the grapefruit tends to dominate all, and the hops are nicely complemented by the sweet, raisiny-fruity character of the malt and alcohol. In sum, it has a lot of character and a lot of flavour, with the rich range more than making up for the relatively restrained nature of each element, a wonderful trait all too rare for IPAs. It's highly drinkable and great with food or alone.

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at Russian River on 7/19/09. We had to revisit on a Sunday afternoon for all-day happy hour!

A - Slightly hazy golden/light orange body with lively stream of carbonation and one-finger creamy off-white head that settled into a quarter inch of retention and deposited thick swatches of lace all around the glass.

S - Citrusy and perfumy hop aroma with some mild piney accents. The aroma is definitely quite hoppy for a British-style IPA. Sweet caramel malt and toasted grains provide a bit of a contrast to the heavy hop aroma. A subtle waft of alcohol also emerges as the liquid warmed up a bit.

T - Bold hop presence up front suggesting citrus fruit, especially grapefruit, as well as some lighter perfumy and piney notes. Sweet caramel malts balance the fairly aggressive hop character. Finishes with an assertive hop bite with a toasted grainy malt character.

M - Medium bodied with a syrupy texture and plenty of residual hop oils to add a touch of slickness to the mouthfeel. Medium carbonation results in a pretty full, creamy mouthfeel with a touch of prickle. Slightly dry finish with fairly assertive hop bitterness that lingers for a while on the palate.

D - Fantastic every day IPA with plenty of hop character and flavor to please most hop heads. Plus it's sessionable at only 6.1%. This might be second to only Sculpin in the realm of straight-up IPAs.

4.61/5  rDev +5.5%

I'm finally going to review this beer. I have been trying to steer away from it for reasons unknown.

A: Looks like an IPA. Wonderful hazy golden colored body topped with a whipped cream tinted head. Head broke down to lacing fairly quickly but hung like snow on a screen window to the side of my glass.

S: Piney, grapefruit, other dark fruit like fig or cherries comes out as the beer warms.

T: Mmm hops. Not a full slam of "pow" hop flavor but a nice build of the bitter units. The citrus is minimal and more on the floral, bright, side of the street. Sun is now shining from the inside of my mouth. Refreshingly crisp and clean beer. More malty backbone come out as it warms as well, helping the balance of the intense hops and malt.

M: Heavy and wet just like my women. A little slick on the tongue - oily? Just like I like ... ok ok enough of the gutter talk. Very nice mouthfeel with perfect carbonation.

D: Drinkability is killer. I could just keep pouring them down. ABV at 6%?? Are you joking? I want another one. But RR has one thing down ... If you only want one ... they have the perfect sized bottles.

4.61/5  rDev +5.5%

Thanks to srandycarter for this one.

Pours somewhat hazy golden color, not much head, but plenty of carbonation is apparent.

Scent of hops and citrus, simple and sweet, the ideal scent for an IPA, absolutely wonderful.

Taste is very hoppy, with the hops dominating, but great citrus as well with a faint sweet maltiness.

Mouthfeel is tart and soapy, nothing special, but still good.

One of the most drinkable beers I have ever had.

4.62/5  rDev +5.7%

Thanks to Azurelimits for this great extra.

500ml brown bottle poured into a pint.

A: Pours a nice glowing golden orange with good clarity. 1 1/2 fingers worth of strong yet fluffy head forms and holds nicely. Decent lacing throughout.

S: Hops are very juicy, citrusy. Pleasant pine and resin that aren't astringent at all. Lightly toasted sweet malts balance out and have just a touch of nuttiness in the back.

T/M: Bitterness is at a very manageable level... perfect for this particular brew(kind of like Two Hearted and its bitterness). Hops are again very juicy and citrusy. The pine and resins are bumped up a bump and bring brisk twang to the tongue. Malts are sweet and lightly nutty to balance. Body is medium with pleasant carbonation. Finishes on the dry side with some lasting bitterness.

D: Very tasty and easily drinkable. 6% ABV is more than manageable.

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company