Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,344 | Hads: 5,192
4.69/5  rDev +8.8%

I got this growler at Big Z's beverage in Huntington, LI. Who has recently won best distributor on Long Island. I got an email from mark who says its a "must try". The color is a hazy amber color. Little to no head, with excellent lacing. The aroma is like of a piny forest of hops. The flavor is sweet, with a huge hop kick. Flavor not bitter. It has a long mouthfeel where the hops hang out on the back of your throat and it pleads for another sip. I could sit and finish the keg. This is my first experience with russian river brewing company. I cannot wait to try any and all of their beers. Keep up the good work!!! (620 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +8.8%

A - This beer poured a golden amber color that produced a fluffy white head that had great retention and laced the side of the glass very nicely

S - The aromas produced by this beer had a medley of hop aromas, I was surprised I got so much out of the beer, but pine, orange, pineapple, lemon, and grapefruit, good God, I've fallen in love

T - The taste of this beer had a nice bit of caramel malts at the beginning, but the star was quickly unleashed, the hops, and the mix of hops flowers was along the nose, but words cannot describe the taste of this beer

M - The mouthfeel of this beer had a medium body with a light to moderate amount of carbonation

D - This would be my favorite IPA, but I think Masala Mama wins by a hair, otherwise, this is one of the all time great beers (784 characters)

4.69/5  rDev +8.8%

rather pale and clear copper color with a decent almost white head that retains and laces well.

pine, fresh cut grass, citrus rind. aroma is intoxicating. hints of tropical fruit and a touch of sweet light malts. nice.

earthy, grassy, piney with citrus providing some acidity and a little bit of bitterness. a touch of toffee and bready malts add some balance, though the delicious hops remain the focal point. leafy and fresh hop flavor. more hop flavor than hop bitterness. delicious.

a touch on the light side of medium bodied with some oily resin left on the palate and a bit of citrus in the aftertaste.

drinks amazing. easily made its way into my top few IPAs on this first tasting. bottled only 2 weeks ago, so its still drinking near or at its peak, and it shows. not a "big" beer, but its complex and flavorful. Pleasure to try. (841 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle provided by Exiled.

Hands down, this is one of the best IPAs I have ever tasted.

The beer pours a light orange/gold with a white head. The smell is very piney and very pungent. Very resinous. The flavor is similar with a huge resinous hop flavor. The hops also provide some earthiness but not a whole lot of bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium to thick and very drinkable. I wish I could drink this more often. (420 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a bottle dated 9/14/11 into a SA glass.

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden wheat yellow with a large 2" head that fades quickly to 1/2" and provides good lacing (though not as good as it's big brother Pliny).

S: Resiny hops abound with hints of grassiness. Not to continually compare BP to PtE, but this smells lighter than PtE, which is actually more inviting.

T: The smell follows the nose pretty closely. Flowery, slightly resinous hops are the primary flavor. Has a very clean finish that invites another tasty as soon as possible.

M: Adequately carbonated, with a medium-thin to medium mouthfeel.

O: I have to say, I think if I were given the choice of fresh Pliny and fresh Blind Pig, I'd have to take the Blind Pig. This isn't a knock to the Elder, but just a personal preference of not having everything turned up to 11. This is just a better balanced beer in my opinion.

thanks to furthurgone for sending this in trade. (943 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

I'm not surprised that Russian River has made this wonderful IPA. I was given a sample of this beer at Beachwood BBQ and not told what it was.

I was very impressed with the sweet hop aroma and the great hop flavor. I could also smell and taste a heavy grapefruit flavor. There is just enough malt in the background to balance it just a tad without removing the bittery bite needed in an IPA.

This is definately drinkable! (424 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Poured into tulip, pours bright orange/amber with a 2 inch white head, very clear
Smell: Hints of honey, hops, piney and citrus
Taste: Sweet with not an overpowering of hops, subtle hints of honey and fruit.
Mouthfeel: Very light and thin, easy to drink.
Overall- Not a explosion of hops but they are there. The fact that this beer is so easy to drink is attributed to the sweet notes coming through the bitter. I prefer this over Pliny the Elder.

Serving type: bottle (482 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured from a 1pt. 9oz. bottle into a Playboy pint glass.

The color is a mostly clear orange/gold with a finger and half of foamy white head and some nice lacing left on the glass.

The smell is a nice floral feel with a deep grassy flavor that makes me think of late summer and fresh cut grass. A little hint of pine needle in the nose as well.

The taste is a strong hop flavor that is quite bitter. It takes a minute to get through the strong bitterness but some spicy grassy flavor comes through. Some good citrus flavor with a good orange pith is in the taste and is there after breaking through the hop wall of bitterness and has a bit of malty flavor that is still there in the background

The feel of this beer is a bit big with the bitterness giving this beer a handful. It goes eventual subside and goes down smooth. A great west coast IPA. (851 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9%

My other RR IPA find at Beverage Warehouse last weekend. Bottled September 5, 2008. The bottle keeps telling me not to age it, so I figured I'd better drink it before I went out of town for a week. Fairly aggressive pour into a pint glass.

A: Clear amber with not much in the way of bubbles. The head is white, got about 2 fingers that fades to a thin film with a few fluffy bubbles. Lacing is nice.

S: Strong grapefruit hops and not much else.

T: Grapefruit hops dominate from start to finish, but I also note some floral, pine and grass hops in there as well. Not much sweetness to the malt, but there is some malt character-enough to give it a good balance at any rate.

MF: Medium-thin body with moderate carbonation. Hops are not that heavy on the tongue, even if they are a major part of the palette. Not much warming, and the alcohol isn't particularly noticeable.

D: Excellent West Coast IPA. Lots and lots of hops, but not too bitter to be undrinkable. Good balance for an IPA, which is impressive to me because the malt is so understated. I am a fan of grapefruit-dominant IPAs, so this is a winner for me. Low alcohol, smooth mouthfeel and great flavor make this an easy drinker. It was nice to find this here in LA, and hopefully it'll be something not to hard for find for the foreseeable future. (1,314 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: coppery/amber color.. good lacing from a medium white head

S: grapefruit, a little grassy, a little floral...

T: a smooth spectrum of grapefruit, and floral tones... some sweet malt tones pop in and out... very balanced

M: medium body.. moderate carbonation.. nice hop bitterness at the finish

D: wonderful... can do again and again (340 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A - In between amber and orange in color. Nice lingering head with lacing down the glass. Lots of carbonation.

S - Glorious. Pine, grapefruit, wet/pungent resin, lemon

T - Fantastic. Just enough malt/caramel giving way to lots of hop bitterness and flavor. Pungent, grapefruit, lemon, orange, pine, herbal....just great.

M - Nice carbonation sensation and oily feel.

D - A pleasure to drink. Like most RR beers, it's a big beer full of big flavors but soft and clean at the same time. Just a great great beer. (514 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This is a truly great IPA! Upon pouring into my pint class whiffs of sweet bitter hops had my salivary glands a pumping. She pours clean and golden but with some small particulates floating about. Nose is off the hook, everything a like in an IPA Piney, tart, fruity and tangy - yummy. Flavor follows nose - spot on! Hops provide a blasting bitterness which is tempered with sweetness. This is very drinkable beer that just rolls over the tongue, drink after drink...I need some more please! (491 characters)

Blind Pig

A: Crystal clear shimmering gold with white froth dome.

S: Had this one one week from bottle date and it kicks the nose nicely. Full of earthy, floral and very light bread/caramel notes.

T: A great delicious hop forward flavor reminiscent of fresh mown grass, slight citrus, with floral hops at the end. A bready biscuit characteristic trickles through the finish.

M: A deliciously medium bodied, pleasantly carbonated beer with a joyful dry finish.

O: It took me forever to getting around to reviewing this beer. It has always been freaking delicous and I honestly don't know whats with the craze towards Pliny (yes it a great beer) but Blind Pig IMO is a more gorgeous well rounded beer. (704 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aroma: Huge, clear citrusy hop nose. Floral hop aromatics all over the place. Light sweet maltiness in the background but this bad boy is all about the hop.

Appearance: Brilliantly clear and effervescent with a sticky, sudsy white cap.

Flavor: Citrus, lemon zest, bittering hop resins, no malt base to speak of. Finish is dry and clean. It is amazingly smooth for being all hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, medium carbonation, and dry. No alcohol heat is present.

Overall impression: A classic West Coast IPA. This is clean and sharp. Truly a treat to cherish. (563 characters)

look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pretty hoppy initial taste with a nice malty feel in my cheeks. More enjoyable than alpine duet and Pliny the elder but not as enjoyable as the alpine pure hoppiness. (166 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured 510 ml bottle dated 1/16/14 into New Belgium globe

A-Pours a clear light honey yellow with almost a finger of off-white head, nice lacing. Good carbonation.

S-Aromas of pine/resin, citrus, floral notes, tropical fruit.

T-Taste improves from smell with notes of pine/resin, floral hops, citrus, light caramel and bread.

M-Nice mouthfeel with a semi-dry finish with a medium body.

O-Overall a great IPA by Russian River. I want more. (446 characters)

Poured from a 1 pint .9oz. bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a coppery orange with about a finger of head that shrinks to a thin cap. Gradients of lacing expose each delicious sip.

S: Huge pine and grapefruit hoppyness assault the nose. I can't wait to see what my tongue thinks...

T: Resinous, piny, leafy hop flavors smother my palate. A slightly sweet malt background follows to balance the euphoric bitterness. Somehow, this brew is only rated at 72 IBU's. It tastes much hoppier than that to me.

M: Medium mouthfeel with just enough carbonation.

D: Yes, please. (571 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

Appearance: Beautiful brownish orange pour. 2 inch head which supports the bottle cap without sinking. Beautiful lacing as the beer progresses.

Smell: Strong tart fruity grapefruit aromas mixed with pine and the bold scent of wonderful hoppyness.

Taste: Strong piney floral hoppy slap in the face with some nice caramel-like malt and finishing with grapefruit and citrus that is a wonderful end to a roller coaster through your taste buds.

M: Excellent carbonation, very pleasing in the mouth. Clean taste.

D: This is an extremely pleasing beer to drink, and I will continue to return to this one for solace...and as a regular beer to enjoy with friends. (658 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Blind pig is the IPA of IPAs. It is amazing the work Russian river does. I live in SoCal and it is actually harder to find this than Pliny. Every time I get my hands on this beer it never sits in my refrigerator more than two days, and I doubt that it sits anywhere longer than that. (283 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from a growler into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance: Pours light golden with a finger of fluffy head.

Smell: Great West Coast IPA aroma in this. Nice citrusy aroma of pineapple, grapefruit, mango mixed with some bitter hops and some malty sweetness.

Taste: Great taste that is full of grapefruit, pineapple and tart tangerine. Nice bite from the hops and and malty aftertaste. Very balance and very tasty. I think I prefer the taste of this to Sculpin, by a thin margin.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, crisp and clean.

Drinkability: A very easy drinking, yet flavorful, IPA. Russian River knows what they are doing with IPAs. Fighting myself to not drink the entire growler tonight! (700 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a straw colored gold in color. About half a inch of head develops on the pour. Smell is very citrusy and juicy. Wonderful. Taste is even more citrusy and juicy hops than appear in the nose. Light, bitter, but exploding with juciness. I love this. It's an overused expression, but, I could drink this all day long and never tire of it. I might even go out on a limb and say that I'm enjoying this more then the PtE. Would love to have this around regularly.
Many thanks to golubj for sending me this bottle. (513 characters)

On tap at Russian River

A - Amber; not much head, but good lacing

S - Hops reminiscent of cat urine and grapefruit are present in full force, but there is more - a fair amount of honey is joined by the occasional scent of barnyard funk. Not your typical IPA.

T - Bitter citrus rules the front end and is complimented by a slight oaky quality. In the following moments, fragrant, floral hops burst through and pair with sweet orange notes and other malt flavors. A fantastically bitter finish seals the deal; it feels as if fresh grapefruit is stuck in my teeth.

M - Medium-bodied, perfect amount of carbonation, and a pronounced bitter edge. It doesn't get better for me.

D - All of this flavor, yet nothing to keep from drinking one after the other. If I lived in an area with distribution, there would be many a strictly Blind Pig night...

This was my first (and second and third) time having Blind Pig fresh, and it blew away my previous, albeit amazing, experience. If this isn't my favorite IPA, I'm not sure what is. (1,028 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

Pours a golden honey color with faint hues of orange. Some sediment. There is about two fingers of loose white head that fall to a 1/8" with a nice amount of lacing.

Smells of oranges, tangerines, mango, papaya, pine, and love. Cannabaceae at its best. All this and the bottle Im drinking is over a month old; I cant wait to try a fresher one.

Lots of citrus flavors as well. Grapefruit and orange rind lead the way as tangerine and tropical fruits follow. A bit of a peppery bite on my tongue.

This is a lighter bodied IPA with the right amount of carbonation. It is a bit sticky. It leaves my tongue slightly numb.

This is as drinkable as any fine Lager. Lots of flavor but its still refreshing. This is one fine beer that is nicely balanced, almost perfect. I dont know where they get there water and hops at Russian River but this and their PTE are just amazing. (871 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

Mad thanks to fetus for sending me a much sought after brew!! Been waiting a year to get my hands on one of these fine swine beers!

Poured from a 500 bottle into my SN pint glass. It is starting to sound like I need some new glassware! It had a bottled on date of 072308? No clue what that meant, so would love to know when it was truly bottled, but on to the review...an aggressive pour gave me a three finger off-white head that was nice and sticky. Beautiful lacing that lasted throughout! He looked a bit cloudy which I found a bit surprising. Was a deep golden yellow, almost auburn.

Damn did this smell heavenly! A perfect boquet of citrus hops and a bit of spice. This is what smelling balanced is all about.

The taste floored me. There was a sweetness up front with a nice little citrus-hop kick of bitterness in the back. It's backed up solidly with a touch of malt. I am impressed!

The mouthfeel was smooth and creamy...almost perfect!

Drinkability-Hell Yeah! I could put down a couple of these in a sitting and be perfectly content.

Overall, the sweetness in the taste is so damn good! I think that I found an IPA that I can sink my pallet into. Send me more ASAP!!! (1,183 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A: Nice, golden brown, with a nice solid cap. Some sediment floating in the glass.

S: Good hop scent, piney, citrusy, classsic.

T: Delicious, nice bitterness on the finish, Clean taste, hop dominated flavor, without all the sweetness.

M: Good carbonation, no complaints here, combined with a soft mouthfeel.

D: All day drinkability. Perfectly simple, clean and refreshing. (418 characters)

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company