Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,357 | Hads: 5,248
4.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Aroma: Huge, clear citrusy hop nose. Floral hop aromatics all over the place. Light sweet maltiness in the background but this bad boy is all about the hop.

Appearance: Brilliantly clear and effervescent with a sticky, sudsy white cap.

Flavor: Citrus, lemon zest, bittering hop resins, no malt base to speak of. Finish is dry and clean. It is amazingly smooth for being all hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, medium carbonation, and dry. No alcohol heat is present.

Overall impression: A classic West Coast IPA. This is clean and sharp. Truly a treat to cherish. (563 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pretty hoppy initial taste with a nice malty feel in my cheeks. More enjoyable than alpine duet and Pliny the elder but not as enjoyable as the alpine pure hoppiness. (166 characters)

4.71/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Poured 510 ml bottle dated 1/16/14 into New Belgium globe

A-Pours a clear light honey yellow with almost a finger of off-white head, nice lacing. Good carbonation.

S-Aromas of pine/resin, citrus, floral notes, tropical fruit.

T-Taste improves from smell with notes of pine/resin, floral hops, citrus, light caramel and bread.

M-Nice mouthfeel with a semi-dry finish with a medium body.

O-Overall a great IPA by Russian River. I want more. (446 characters)

Poured from a 1 pint .9oz. bottle into a pint glass

A: Pours a coppery orange with about a finger of head that shrinks to a thin cap. Gradients of lacing expose each delicious sip.

S: Huge pine and grapefruit hoppyness assault the nose. I can't wait to see what my tongue thinks...

T: Resinous, piny, leafy hop flavors smother my palate. A slightly sweet malt background follows to balance the euphoric bitterness. Somehow, this brew is only rated at 72 IBU's. It tastes much hoppier than that to me.

M: Medium mouthfeel with just enough carbonation.

D: Yes, please. (571 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

Appearance: Beautiful brownish orange pour. 2 inch head which supports the bottle cap without sinking. Beautiful lacing as the beer progresses.

Smell: Strong tart fruity grapefruit aromas mixed with pine and the bold scent of wonderful hoppyness.

Taste: Strong piney floral hoppy slap in the face with some nice caramel-like malt and finishing with grapefruit and citrus that is a wonderful end to a roller coaster through your taste buds.

M: Excellent carbonation, very pleasing in the mouth. Clean taste.

D: This is an extremely pleasing beer to drink, and I will continue to return to this one for solace...and as a regular beer to enjoy with friends. (658 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Blind pig is the IPA of IPAs. It is amazing the work Russian river does. I live in SoCal and it is actually harder to find this than Pliny. Every time I get my hands on this beer it never sits in my refrigerator more than two days, and I doubt that it sits anywhere longer than that. (283 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from a growler into a Sam Adams Perfect Pint glass.

Appearance: Pours light golden with a finger of fluffy head.

Smell: Great West Coast IPA aroma in this. Nice citrusy aroma of pineapple, grapefruit, mango mixed with some bitter hops and some malty sweetness.

Taste: Great taste that is full of grapefruit, pineapple and tart tangerine. Nice bite from the hops and and malty aftertaste. Very balance and very tasty. I think I prefer the taste of this to Sculpin, by a thin margin.

Mouthfeel: Light bodied, crisp and clean.

Drinkability: A very easy drinking, yet flavorful, IPA. Russian River knows what they are doing with IPAs. Fighting myself to not drink the entire growler tonight! (700 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a straw colored gold in color. About half a inch of head develops on the pour. Smell is very citrusy and juicy. Wonderful. Taste is even more citrusy and juicy hops than appear in the nose. Light, bitter, but exploding with juciness. I love this. It's an overused expression, but, I could drink this all day long and never tire of it. I might even go out on a limb and say that I'm enjoying this more then the PtE. Would love to have this around regularly.
Many thanks to golubj for sending me this bottle. (513 characters)

On tap at Russian River

A - Amber; not much head, but good lacing

S - Hops reminiscent of cat urine and grapefruit are present in full force, but there is more - a fair amount of honey is joined by the occasional scent of barnyard funk. Not your typical IPA.

T - Bitter citrus rules the front end and is complimented by a slight oaky quality. In the following moments, fragrant, floral hops burst through and pair with sweet orange notes and other malt flavors. A fantastically bitter finish seals the deal; it feels as if fresh grapefruit is stuck in my teeth.

M - Medium-bodied, perfect amount of carbonation, and a pronounced bitter edge. It doesn't get better for me.

D - All of this flavor, yet nothing to keep from drinking one after the other. If I lived in an area with distribution, there would be many a strictly Blind Pig night...

This was my first (and second and third) time having Blind Pig fresh, and it blew away my previous, albeit amazing, experience. If this isn't my favorite IPA, I'm not sure what is. (1,028 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

Pours a golden honey color with faint hues of orange. Some sediment. There is about two fingers of loose white head that fall to a 1/8" with a nice amount of lacing.

Smells of oranges, tangerines, mango, papaya, pine, and love. Cannabaceae at its best. All this and the bottle Im drinking is over a month old; I cant wait to try a fresher one.

Lots of citrus flavors as well. Grapefruit and orange rind lead the way as tangerine and tropical fruits follow. A bit of a peppery bite on my tongue.

This is a lighter bodied IPA with the right amount of carbonation. It is a bit sticky. It leaves my tongue slightly numb.

This is as drinkable as any fine Lager. Lots of flavor but its still refreshing. This is one fine beer that is nicely balanced, almost perfect. I dont know where they get there water and hops at Russian River but this and their PTE are just amazing. (871 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

Mad thanks to fetus for sending me a much sought after brew!! Been waiting a year to get my hands on one of these fine swine beers!

Poured from a 500 bottle into my SN pint glass. It is starting to sound like I need some new glassware! It had a bottled on date of 072308? No clue what that meant, so would love to know when it was truly bottled, but on to the review...an aggressive pour gave me a three finger off-white head that was nice and sticky. Beautiful lacing that lasted throughout! He looked a bit cloudy which I found a bit surprising. Was a deep golden yellow, almost auburn.

Damn did this smell heavenly! A perfect boquet of citrus hops and a bit of spice. This is what smelling balanced is all about.

The taste floored me. There was a sweetness up front with a nice little citrus-hop kick of bitterness in the back. It's backed up solidly with a touch of malt. I am impressed!

The mouthfeel was smooth and creamy...almost perfect!

Drinkability-Hell Yeah! I could put down a couple of these in a sitting and be perfectly content.

Overall, the sweetness in the taste is so damn good! I think that I found an IPA that I can sink my pallet into. Send me more ASAP!!! (1,183 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass

A: Nice, golden brown, with a nice solid cap. Some sediment floating in the glass.

S: Good hop scent, piney, citrusy, classsic.

T: Delicious, nice bitterness on the finish, Clean taste, hop dominated flavor, without all the sweetness.

M: Good carbonation, no complaints here, combined with a soft mouthfeel.

D: All day drinkability. Perfectly simple, clean and refreshing. (418 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

Hand filled 22 oz bomber using counter pressure filler. The beer pours a nice orange color with copper highlites. Clarity is awesome. A light slightly off-white head sits over top, with a very nice cascade of bubbles keeping things solid over top. Aroma on this one is great. Very solid chunky candied grapefruity sweet hop with a moderate caramel and light spun sugar sweetness in there. Everything about it is sweet. Flavor is nice as well. Hop flavors are dominant, with the same sweet grapefruity citrus, with a light touch of pepperyness over a soild sweet caramel malt base. A few moments after swallowing the beer, a very clean bitterness hangs on the side of my tougue. This one is very much like a baby brother to the PtY. It has all the flavors and aromas of the big boy, but just to a lesser degree. Very tasty and very well balanced between sweet malt, hop flavor, and hop bitterness. The feel is a solid moderate with a very solid carbonation of fine bubbles to keep it from being too thick. As far as I'm concerned, this is another home run. All the flavors play very well with each other, the nose is really full and enticing. This 22 oz bottle is not going to last very long and is going to get me one step closer to planning that trip to California. Awesome. (1,275 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

The aroma of this beer is phenomenal. It has a really fresh hop smell that sets it apart from some of my other favorite IPAs like Bell's Two Hearted and Victory Hop Devil. Really well balanced with moderate bitterness that balances out and finishes loooong. It has a great full mouthfeel for an IPA and it's really pretty stellar. Lacing stays on the side of the glass sticks around for a long time. (399 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

Ah the splendor of Russian River!! First introduced to Pliny the Elder at a great bar in Folsom CA, I was forced to "settle" for bottles of Blind Pig from New Seasons in Portland . . . if only all examples of settling were this good!

Blind Pig gives the initial appearence of a good bottle of golden honey with a thick, creamy-white head. The beer carbonates throughout the glass as it pushes the aroma up through the glass.

And oh what an aroma!! My favorite part of the beer is its exceptionally sweet smell of hops and citrus. I find myself finding whomever I can to experience the smell (but only to tell them to go get their own!).

The taste is a cocophony of stong, fresh hops and citrus; with a subtle bit of pine. About as wonderful as I could imagine were it not for the Elder and a handful of others. The other stiking aspect of the taste is the comforting, rather whipped feel of the head; almost akin to having a light whip on a milkshake.

The mouthfeel is clean and crisp with a lingering aftertaste from the fragrant hops but with a balance that is common with the most drinkable beers.

Blind Pig is a true joy to behold and a testament to freshly brewed, freshly hopped beer. (1,196 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

Received from RedwoodGeorge as part of his recent 'Home Bottling Project'. I continue to be amazed at the professionalism of the labels and caps on this series of beers. Not to mention the flawless re-bottling effort itself. Since this Blind Pig is celebrating his 2 month anniversary today, I though that I'd 'Swig A Pig' before the hops lose any of their brilliance.

Flawless bright lemony amber, a color that is both rich and radiant at once. The tremendous looking polished ivory cap absolutely oozes firm creaminess; it looks great after the pour and even better as it slowly melts. There's a fair amount of thick, sudsy lace beginning to be laid down and I'm fairly certain that a majority of the glass will be coated in the end. It's a lighter, brighter IPA look and a great one.

How does Vinnie do it? How does he unlock the pure lupulin essence of some of my favorite hop varieties and turn them into such stupendous nose candy? I'm tempted to say that this is the best IPA nose that I've ever smelled, but I've said those words before and probably will again. Top 5 at least! The beer smells like sweet and sticky pineapple chunks with lemon, orange and pink grapefruit hanging around the periphery. Tropical and tremendously terrific.

Great, great, great, great beer. I could keep writing 'great' until the pigs come home, but there's more to say. No surprise that the pale malt backbone is up to the task at hand. It lends unwavering support and is in no way overmatched, but doesn't feel a need to be a contributing member of the flavor profile. Blind Pig has that underlying sweetness (that all good IPAs/DIPAs have) that allows the bitterness and the flavor of the hops to shine with blinding brilliance. Could that be the origin of the name?

Obviously, the centerpiece of this fine ale is hops, and I'm thrilled to report that it's absolutely dripping with pure, unadulterated, bitter, citric explosiveness. I've heard Centennial and have no reason to doubt the source. Its a near perfect blend of sweet and bitter, with bitter blowing the doors off the place. Hophead nirvana in a bottle.

I have no complaints about the mouthfeel, not a single one. I defy any brewer to design an IPA (that has no aspirations whatsoever on DIPAhood) that is any more drinkable than this one. It's as lightly creamy as the most demanding craft beer drinker has a right to expect and it disappears with ridiculous ease. I see that I'm going to have to start rationing what little remains.

I have no right to be critical of RedwoodGeorge since he's responsible for sending me some of the best beers on the planet Earth. That said, here's my beef. It isn't that he didn't make this bottle a bomber like the rest, it's that he didn't send me the whole damn keg of Blind Pig. Does everything that Mr. Cilurzo touches turn to brewing gold? (2,840 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

Poured from a bottle to snifter, only two days old! Hands down the freshest bottled beer I've ever had. Big thanks to the Jug Shop

Pours a deep gold with mild carbonation. A finger of foam with good retention, nice thick even lacing. Fantastic looking beer. Smells of strong hop and grapefruit, pine, citrus, tropical fruits mesh together well with a modest malty backbone. Very pungent and rich, very reminiscent of Pliny, all the smells a good ipa should have and then some. Tastes of strong hops, pine, citrus with a sweet bready malt coming through. Flavors meld together nicely, nothing over powering anything else- very nice balance in this beer. Mouth is also consistent, medium body with a mild carbonation tingle. Resins coat the mouth with a strong bitter dry finish. Overall one of the best ipas made on the west coast, really glad I was able to get a few bottles of this. The freshness no doubt playing a role, but this would still be great even after a few months. The things I'd do to have regular access to Russian River beers! (1,043 characters)

500 ml bottle.
6.1% abv
Bottled on 9/30/08

Courtesy of "bring" in trade, thanks again!

Pours a light gold..many flecks of sediment floating about..huge head of eggshell-colored foam sits on top unwavering...
Aroma is heavenly..an absolute tribute to fresh hops.. Overpowering citrus..grapefruit, orange, lemon, banana, and pine sap..yowsa.
For as much hop taste as this packs, it could easily be considered a double ipa. It's obviously not, considering the relatively low-abv, but still..this packs a wallop.
Endlessly drinkable...Russian River defies normalcy once again with this incredible IPA. (599 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

Visited in July, and this was the first RR beer I tasted. Excellent, and in fact so good it was difficult to bother trying all the other beers...but somehow I managed. :o)
(thoroughly) enjoyed this growler a couple days later.

From the half-gallon growler pours a golden/light amber color, with a large white head that decides it wants to stick around as a thin cap to near the bottom of the glass. A couple lines of tiny bubbles rise through the beer. Exceptional lacing with each sip. If color was just a little brighter and with just a touch better clarity this would get a "5"

The nose on this beer is a "5" without reservation. It's floral, it's piney, it's fruity, it's fan-fucking-tastic! Pale malts seemed to have received a beating here and are apparently scared to show themselves. Can't stop sticking my nose in the glass...

Great tasting IPA. Pale malt has rounded up enough buddies to feel safe showing itself, though it remains a minor character here. Raw hop flavors and juiciness are really working over the saliva glands. Bittersweet grapefruit flavors all over the place and a fresh spicy kick. Finish is lingering sharp bitterness but otherwise deliciously clean. Mouth is creamy and carbonation soft, allowing the hops to do their work. Absurdly drinkable.

Not all the beers I had on my last road trip were as good when I was able to open the growler, but Blind Pig had not lost a thing a couple days later.
Ranks right up there with AleSmith, Stone IPA, and Furious on my IPA scale (and judging from the rankings, most everyone else's scale too) (1,580 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +9.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

One of the best single IPAs out there and I can see the argument for the best single IPA, but there are plenty of others on par with this beer as a single. None IMO have as good of finish however and at only 6.1%, it packs more hop goodness in flavor than most 7%- 7.5% single IPAs out there so that's a testament to Vinnie as a MASTER brewer. Without a doubt especially when it comes to Hops. Rant over.

A - clear, somewhat thin but looks good and golden but a see-through clear golden if that makes much sense.

S - As tangerine and pine is to Pliny - Blind Pig is Grapefruit, Oranges and pine and lots of earthiness. Fruity citrussy and dry at the same time.

T - CRISP! Mouthfeel 6.1% but so much hop flavor again in such a low ABV DIPA. Grapefruit dominated orange BLAST along with piney hops. Dry, clean and bitter. A bit more bitter than PTE but the Grapefruit ratio to fresh cut grass is amazing. How is all this Hop flavor packed into such a low ABV IPA?

M - Almost perfect. Carbonation isn't overdone, just showcases the hops at the forefront which is what Vinnie does best.

D - Bar None - this is the most sessionable IPA on the planet. Sierra Nevada's Anniverary Ale was the current champ for me when it came to drinkability butr with all the hop profile packed into this beer...we have a WINNER!

A must try. (1,324 characters)

4.73/5  rDev +9.5%

Bottle dated 091509, poured into a goblet. Beer is yellow and clear, light amber, head is white and tight, falls away leaving some lacing on the glass. Carbonation is low to moderate.

Aroma is filled with sweet hops. There is some other sweetness in there, maybe some malt, maybe some alcohol. It smells like a great IPA.

Medium body, beer is hoppy hoppy hoppy. There isn't much of an aftertaste that comes from the throat but you can taste the bitterness that has coated your mouth for several seconds after you have finished the beer. Second taste, beer is definitely not dry, but its also not overly wet. There is some nice connectivity between the front and the back of the mouth.

This is a great great IPA. (715 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +9.7%

On tap at Toronado in SF, poured into a pint glass. Small head leaves some sticky, resinous, soapy lacing stuck to the side of the glass. Aroma is straight up pine and grapefruit. Taste follows suit, delicious hop bitterness, like Pliny toned down a notch. Any time Pliny is being used as a reference point, it's a damn good thing. Very easy to drink and totally delicious. (373 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Poured from a 510ml bottle dated 01/26/15 . Nice golden pour, slight white head but nice lacing.Nice citrus floral nose and a great burst of hops.
A very nice solid IPA. (169 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +9.7%

I know Vinnie is not a big believer in "aged" IPA's, and generally I tend to agree with him. However, I recently came across this beer at my "home town" Market of Choice in West Linn, a store notorious for not rotating its stock in a timely manner. This particular bottle of Blind Pig was dated 7/29/08.

The beer pours a protypical peachy orange color with good head retention and lacing. On the nose, what can one say? This is IPA perfection. The beer has an incredible nose of wet tobacco, earth, allspice and hoppy bitterness. On the palate, this beer is off the charts. Maybe it's because the alcohol is so low (relatively), but this beer has not gained any malty sweetness, which is a typical problem for IPA's that have some bottle age. Instead.... this beer has flavors of fuji apple, wet tobacco, wet earth and a hint of cinnamon. As with the fresh version, the finish is just unbelievably dry and bitter.

IMO, a bit of bottle age has given this beer an element of complexity that the fresh version does not have. Not that there's anything wrong with fresh Blind Pig, but I'm amazed at the subtle flavor difference the beer seems to have undergone with some bottle age. Very, very impressive.

Mouthfeel is pretty light and drinkability is exceptional. As good as it gets when it comes to domestic IPA's. Excellent stuff. (1,332 characters)

4.74/5  rDev +9.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

I've had in bottle and on tap. This is for the bottle poured into tulip glass.

A: Hazy, yellow-orange hue
S:piny, floral, citrus notes
T: Amazing. Definitely hop forward, nice strong bitter bite to it. earthy grassy, slight malt bill, just amazing
M: light, smooth, and bitter!
O: Amazing beer! I could drink this everyday and never get tired of it! (350 characters)

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company