Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Blind Pig IPABlind Pig IPA

Wants: 1,660
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,943 | Reviews: 1,359
4.35/5  rDev -0.5%

Poured from a bottle into my pint glass. Pours a dark orange color with almost a finger of head that retains well and leaves nice lacing on the glass.

Smell is a lot of hops and citrus. Sweet smelling.

Taste is the same as the nose. Pine finish. This is great. A slightly bitter finish.

This is on the thinner side of a medium bodied IPA. Very refreshing.

This is outstanding. If I could drink this every day I absolutely would. I think about two of these would be perfect.

4.35/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 3.5

A - Clear Orange honey with prominent 1 inch white head. Reduces to 1/4 inch head, pretty good retention. Soapy lacing.

S - Full hop affront!

T - Malt is sweet and juicy and nice, but the hops completely destroy it. Finish is bitter to clean.

M - Nice overall mouth. Coats everywhere and its like I can feel the hop oil covering everything. Good carbonation, medium body.

D - Not a session beer, but a wonderful IPA. Every sips begs for another. I could grow weary eventually, however.

4.35/5  rDev -0.5%

A-Pours a clear golden amber color with a finger's width head and nice lacing on the glass.
S-Piney hops with citrus floral aromas principally grapefruit and a little lemon and orange.
T-Nice piney hoppy flavor and bitterness melded with mild citrus sweetness and malty afternotes.
M-Moderate feel and carbonation. This is a very refreshing beer. Very clean.
D-Highly drinkable and enjoyable.

4.35/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Light orange in color with about an inch of head that really takes it's time receding. Fantastic lacing.

S - Big huge aroma of hops and citrus. Grapefruit, pine and sweet malts.

T - Bold and full of hops! Lots of tasty hops and pine upfront. Citrus notes are fantastic and vibrant. A really great bitterness finishes this one that makes you really want to take that next sip.

M - Somewhat on the light side. Very clean and refreshing with big bold flavors.

D - I would drink this everyday if I could. Maybe someday I will live in the right place or they will start a larger distribution!

4.35/5  rDev -0.5%

A- Clear golden-copper with a moderate white head that dissipates quickly leaving minimal lacing.

N- Herbal, piney hops with a touch of citrus and a toasty malt undertone. Subtle hints of tropical fruit.

T- Citrus and rind take center stage on top of a soft toasted malt base. The bitterness is firm but not overpowering. Pleasant lingering citrus rind and grassy/piney bitterness.

M- Light mouthfeel that leaves the mouth sticky with hop oils. Moderate carabonation and a semi-dry finish.

D- This is a thirst quenching brew to be enjoyed year round.

4.35/5  rDev -0.5%

From a bottle into pint glass to accompany lunch.

A- A smooth amber. A thick rocky head that leaves great lacing.

S- Mild zesty/ tropical fruit. Some pine and sweet orange.

T- Zesty fruity hops, a smooth and mild bitterness. Some piney resin with some sweetness in body.

M- Medium bodied, smooth. very enjoyable, lingers gently, hops not overpowering on palate.

D- Very high, no alc. An awesome daily drinker that is very affordable.

4.35/5  rDev -0.5%

My last bottle of Blind Pig. Thanks to Nanoslug for this one. 500ml bottle dated from July - I'd expect fresher to be even better. (I'll try to draw on my memory of the bottle I had a few months ago to supplement this review)

A - Murky amber color, almost like unfiltered apple juice. One finger of creamy white head that dissipates quickly into a nice bubbly lace. Still some carbonation that is quickly rising to the top.

S - There's still hop bitterness, even after all these months. Floral pine and citrus hints galore, and a healthy amount of malty sweetness. Smell is a 4 right now, but was a 4.5 when this was fresher. Not going to punish this brew for waiting to long on it (I was saving it to share with my brother-in-law).

T - Starts sweet - lots of citrus and light malt at the head. The bitterness comes in at the back of my palate and lingers in the aftertaste, but it's not overwhelmingly bitter. Very well balanced. I'm wondering if the on-tap version has greater complexity that has dissipated over the last few months.

M - Resiny, smooth, creamy, with the perfect density. It's refreshing but not watery. Carbonation complements the hop bitterness by tickling the palate.

D - I could drink it all day if I could find it. 6% is imperceptible, and I love the 500ml serving size.

I've gotta get this on tap at some point - while watcing a ballgame or something.

4.35/5  rDev -0.5%

A - Pours a dark gold with hints of copper thrown in. The white head was minimal and didn't stick around for too long. Some lacing remains.

S - Floral / earthy hops dominate. Mostly pine and grass with some forest as well. A small amount of fruitiness comes in at the tail end with grapefruit. No malt aroma to speak of.

T - Taste is impressive. Alot of earthy flavors swirling around here. Pine, tobacco, fresh cut grass and wood, leaves, etc... Easy to pick out the alcohol but it goes well with the hop profile. Malt is really just an afterthought in this beer and does not stand out at all.

M - Medium to light bodied with good carbonation. Very clean and smooth. Finish is more bitter than dry and hangs on for a bit. Very nice.

D - Drinkability is very good. I could easily have a few of these. It goes down very easy and has a very pleasant hop profile that does not get out of hand at any point. Russian River really nailed a solid brew with the Blind Pig. Highly recommended.

4.35/5  rDev -0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

tremens tulip, split with newk340
a-pink/orange clear, 1 finger of white foam. persists with some light lacing
s-orange citrus, fresh hoppy bitterness. light ans sweet. refreshing
t-very nice. piney hop bitterness, lemon zest. delightful bitterness lingers with light malty sweetness
m-effervescent and tingly, leaving the impression of freshness. almost entirely clean on the palate. incredible and crisp.
d-friggin great. these russian river dudes don't mess around. not as delicate as pte, but still, this is very good.

510 ml bottle poured into a SN tulip

A: Pours a beautiful crisp clear yellow almost light orange with a soapy looking white head. Medium carbonation and some good lacing. Great looking beer.

S: Nice citrus and pine character with great balance and smoothness. A little dank but mainly citrus and also a little fruity sweetness. An amazing smelling beer for sure. Really juicy.

T: Nice smooth bitterness and a lot of hop flavor. Nice and dry with a lot of hop character without being too over the top or bitter ass hell. Balance is definitely there and you can tell Vinnie knows wtf he's doing.

M: Medium carbonation and dry, which lends to a nice refreshing finishing bitterness. Great beer for sure.

O: An amazing beer I would not mind having everyday. Of course I'd prefer their other more well known and more popular beers but this is also along those lines. Well worth the try and a must have RR beers in my book.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours clear golden with thick bubbly white head. Aroma is crisp hoppy floral citrus. Taste is crisp clean hops upfront with a touch of sweet malt and bitter orange peel on the follow through. Aftertaste is lingering bitter citrus and dank piny hops. Palate is clean and a little sticky. Overall very well balanced IPA.

4.35/5  rDev -0.5%

High-five to Mauerhan for the hook up.

So I'm sittin at the computer looking at some beers I wanna get, about noon, when in walks the wife with two homemade burritos, a Blind Pig bomber, and a glass. Man I must be a good husband. Let's do it...

Try the beer I mean.

Beautiful IPA. Orange amber haze. Great looking head, lacing.

Smells awesome! Man this smells good. Hops! Citrus, pine.

Taste full, and I mean chock full, of hops. Beautiful bitterness. Great tasting IPA.

I'm a huge fan of Stone Brewing and now the few offerings I've had from Russian River have been fantastic, so I'm a'liking this place too.

Overall: excellent IPA, be sure to try one before you die.

4.35/5  rDev -0.5%

Big thanks to Bamadog who shared this one with me. Review is from notes

A: Some floaties, orange appearance, nice head, good retention

S: Citrus, Orange, nice

T: Wow - quite puckering from the hops. Very nice

M: Mild carbonation - easy to drink

D: If these were local, I'd drink them all day.

4.36/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

1/16/14 bottle date.

I'm a huge fan of PtE--it remains my gold standard for D/IPA beers. Was excited to try this one, especially because a friend who turned me onto Pliny said that he likes Blind Pig better. I confess to having the wrong expectations.

It looked good in the glass, deep yellow/borderline amber topped by a creamy, 1-inch head. And as it warmed up it got better. The bitter/resin components that seemed to sharp at first were rounded off a little bit. Nice, clean finish, and easily wanted to drink it all (shared the bottle with another person).

Don't get me wrong--this was outstanding and I could drink it all day. It just was missing some of the depth and complexity that exists in PtE. And for some, Blind Pig might be better--probably more of a stylistic thing. For me it was a little more resin-y/bitter and a little less fruity/floral. Not a huge difference, but enough that the magic that exists in PtE wasn't there for me.

4.36/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

4.36/5  rDev -0.2%

500 mL bottle poured into Stone shaker pint glass. Date says it was bottled on 10/22/2010, meaning this guy is 38 days old. Not "super fresh", but about as good as I'm going to do out here in Western PA without making a trek to California.

A: Pours a slightly translucent hazy orange with a creamy offwhite bubbly 1" head on the top. A picture of perfection.

S: Readily detectable bittering hops with a hint of grapefruit and citrus... and maybe mango's?

T: The taste follows the smell. Mango and grapefruit hops, with a good bitterness on the back end. Not as "punchy" as I thought it would be. It drinks smooth and rather "light" for an IPA, with a very pleasing taste. As I work through the glass, I'm noticing more and more of the bittering hops on the back end.

M: Bubbly light and soft in the mouth, with the perfect amount of carbonation tingle. Thick oily tongue coating of hops on the finish.

D: High. I love IPA's, and this is an exceptional one. If it was readily available in PA I would make a habit of drinking this regularly.

4.36/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

4.36/5  rDev -0.2%

Thanks to bricktop for throwing one of these into our recent trade. It's been about 15 years since I've had one of these - well before the days of Russian River Brewing. It's nice to see the label is still pretty much the same, and Vinnie is still in charge of brewing it! I've tossed this bottle on my wall next to the old one...

Poured into a Rose-Hulman Beer Club pint glass. Deep cloudy amber color with just enough clarity that I can make out objects on the other side. A large frothy near-white head forms on the top before slowly inching back to a bubbled lid on the beer. A fair amount of lacing is already visible solely from head reduction...impressive. As could be predicted, that thick mountainous lacing continued throughout the entire beer. By the time I finished this beer, a small cap of swirled head still remained - this is a damn nice looking beer.

The smell is heavy on the citrus fruit - primarily grapefruit. Also some more sweet fruits in there as well and combined with some floral notes. The smell is good...consistent with about anything Russian River produces, although perhaps a bit less pronounced than some.

Taste is largely as I expected, although it took a bit to kick in. The initial taste did not really hit me at first, but certainly made up for it throughout the finish. A very fine balance of maltiness and hops, sweet and bitter. None overpowering, but complementing each other well. The grapefruit is right in there along with some orange. Hops are obviously pronounced and give a nice bitter finish. Not quite as crisp as some other beers by RR, but still a fantastic flavor. A very full beer that has a nicely tuned carbonation. Goes down very smoothly and dangerously easily.

Once again I find myself waving the Russian River flag. Although I don't have easy access to their stuff, I make it a point to pick some up whenever I travel west. Vinnie and the crew do an outstanding job and Blind Pig is just another fine example.

Consumed: 2/23/2010

4.36/5  rDev -0.2%

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company