Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,345 | Hads: 5,196
3.43/5  rDev -20.4%

had this on-tap at a RR event, right after Pliny the Elder, for what it's worth. served in tulip glass.

darker copper in color, with a thin white head. aroma is all hops, alot of pine. I thought the taste was actually hoppier than PtE, but no where near as balanced, so no where near as good in flavor. too bitter.

mouthfeel and drinkability was about average for an IPA. (374 characters)

3.45/5  rDev -20%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Toronado, SF. Poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Lightly hazed light orange color. Came with just a touch of head, so I can't comment much.

3.5 S: Like Pliny, this is piney and flowery, but dialed down several notches. Not much malt, but maybe a touch bready.

3.5 T: Decent, but all I can think is "watered down Pliny." Piney hops with some grapefruit and earthiness. Moderate to heavy bitterness. Malts are weak and mildly bready.

3.0 M: Every time I have this beer, it always comes back to the weak mouthfeel. Lighter medium body. Far from creamy (which is truly sad). The whole beer would be much better if this was more robust here.

3.5 D: This isn't worth drinking if a Pliny is near (or any other decent IPA) and disappointing if you let the hype monster get a hold of you. (792 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -19.3%

Be in the mood for bitter on this one. It just calls itself an IPA without any IBU rating, so otherwise you might not know. Which brings up the point that maybe this should be classified as something else, or that we need a new name for these really bitter American IPA's. I would guess it's a double IPA, but perhaps it didn't have the higher Original gravity. Anyways, it's a good beer, though I like their Pliney the Elder much better as that has more of the flavor of hops and not just mostly bitterness.

A - Medium gold, great head retention and lacing. Bits 'o stuff floating around in mine.

S - Hops, clean

T - Quite bitter up front. But along with the smell some mild flavor fills it out a bit. Must let it warm up a touch though.

M - Clean, very bitter

D - well, if you're in the mood for a real heavy and constant bitterness this would do ok.

It's funny that if you were to make beer, this taste could be the result of messing up your bittering hops by adding too many or letting the boil run long, but if you do it on purpose people love it. (1,058 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -19.3%

pop top on this one two months too late (i think). Can smell hop aroma but its not very pungent. It's like smelling fruit juice that are not fresh . Orange to golden orange in color, with half inch whittish head and minimal lacing which goes away quick. Citrusy in flavor, pineapple and other tropical fruits. Malty with sweetness. Bitter but not as hoppy as a double IPA like it's sister Pliny the Elder. Smooth and dry, very, very drinkable. all in all not the one of the best ipa's ive ever had but i've got to hold pliney responsibale for setting the standers so high for me on this one. with all that said maybee i should try one fresh not two and half months old. (669 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -19.3%

The third offering in a continuum of Russian River IPAs bottled unofficially by BA RedwoodGeorge from a 5 gallon keg into 22 oz. bombers, the beer came out paler than the two bigger Pliny’s but had a little more carbonation, and a bigger head. The aroma was much milder than I had anticipated, with a floral-citric hop smell vaguely reminiscent of Mangos. The taste was citric, sugary, and a little soapy. Body was light and airy, and the hops faded quickly after each sip. Like the rest of Russian River IPAs, this was lighter in body than the strength on the label suggested. Unlike the bigger beers, the lightness of the body had a slightly detrimental effect on the single IPA, where more character is usually better than less. An easy to drink beer, that left me wishing it was a little less simple. (805 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

If you take the label off the beer, I would say it is a good not great beer. Russian River makes amazing beers, but this one lacks the sweet malt/hop pop I have come to expect from west coast IPAs. Worth it for sure! (216 characters)

3.5/5  rDev -18.8%

Grossly overrated, mediocre IPA at best. Tastes of latex gloves and rubber tennis balls, some notable citrus and pine notes but overall, nothing to write home about. The fact this beer is no longer seeing distro has just elevated the hype to whole new levels. (259 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -18.6%

Shared with my brother and his gf. I'm not a big fan of single IPAs and strongly prefer the East Coast style (loooove Pliny though), so keep that in mind with this review.

Pours a light orange color with some white head and poor retention. No lace. Honestly, it looks boring and uninteresting.

The smell, on the other hand, is vibrant and full of flavor. Strong floral hops, fruity grapefruit, and more bitter hops bombard my nostrils. I've always loved the aroma from a good IPA, and this is no exception.

Holy hops, Batman! Strongly bitter start to finish as the extreme hoppiness overwhelms any hints of a malt backbone. Grapefruit and pine, as expected, but imbalanced is the name of the game here, folks. You crazy hop-heads probably love this one. Better than most other single IPAs, but it's still not for me.

Thin, weak body and not enough carbonation. I'll be generous and give a 3 for drinkability despite pouring most of my glass back into my brother's. If you like single IPAs, you will probably love Blind Pig. (1,027 characters)

3.51/5  rDev -18.6%

500 ml bottle from the first delivery to Colorado (bottled 072208). Two finger of oranged yellow head over a hazed and particulated straw liquid (orange tint). Smells like a hop pellet. Grassy, oranges, lemon, with minimal lemon pith.

Tastes brutal hop flavored with strong grassiness, noticable hop bitter, and mild supporting malt. Hop flavor is oranges, dry pith, lemon, and some pine. Hop bitter is rough grassy cohumulone with drying hop oils. There is a bitter component that comes across to me as soured, iron, and pink grapefruit pith. Esters of peaches and pears are reassuring. The hop flavors are so much I can't pick out any malt flavors. Just a mild sweet underneath all the other factors. Md-light body and moderately carbonated.

I find this beer disjointed. Flavors are conflicted and the rough edges of some flavors fight to leave a pukey dry in the back of the throat. This beer is complex in hoppiness, but not tremendously drinkable. Tastes like chewing on hop bits. (987 characters)

3.52/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a 500 ml. bottle of the Blind Pig to settle a few arguments I've had. Not having been overly impressed with the draft version, I thought I'd remove one last layer of contention by going the bottle route. At $4.19 for 500ml this is somewhat expensive by San Diego standards, as I could get a 22 oz. of Alesmith IPA for the same price for example And next time, believe me, I will. Oops, did I say that out loud? Bottled on 11/19/2008.

Into a pint glass this beer pours on the golden side of straw with a half inch head. Retention is brief, settling to a surface cap and then the glassy reflection of Mission Bay well after sunset or underneath a pea soup fog.

Moderate hops on the nose with just a touch of sweetness. Some hops and malts on the tongue with a medium carbonation. Nice moderate bitterness on the close. This beer is very drinkable for it doesn't offend, yet often, those that don't offend don't excite either.

Like the tap, the bottle just runs out of steam in the end. At $8 or even $10 a six-pack I would recommend this beer to newbies, but given the price point of this beer I can't in good conscience recommend it at all. This is a light IPA similar to, yet preferred within context, to Harpoon's offering. Not a hophead brew by any means. (1,272 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -18.1%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from 10/2010 notes. Poured into a Nostradamus flute glass. Pours a medium orange amber with a moderate, fast dissipating head, leaving lacing. Hoppy aroma. Hops, citrus; hoppy finish. Somewhat muted, like a watered down Pliny the Elder. OK, but don't see the point. I'm not getting the same positive experience as other reviewers. Purchased from a rarely visited store, so maybe an old bottle. If I'm lucky enough to see this again, I'll revise the review. (463 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -17.6%

Bottle purchased from City Beer Store.

Hazy golden/orange appearance with sudsy foam around the rim of the glass.

Smells super hoppy, with notes of Christmas tree.

Taste: of course, ridiculous amounts of hops, which I assume, in combination with the apparent scarcity of this beer, is why folks have given it such a high average rating.

Mouthfeel: Pretty nice, notwithstanding the tongue-lashing that is delivered by the hops.

Drinkability: I will have difficulty making it through my bottle tonight. The hops are overboard and unbalanced. (545 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -17.6%

A - poured a cloudy golden-honey color with a long lived white head that laced quite well. Patches of bubbles all over the place! Good head retention.

S - Hops galore! Citrusy and sweet with a tiny hint of pine resin and sweet maltiness. Grapefruits are most distinguished but some bread, grains, and pine resin are thrown in the mix.

T - Very good! Sweet malty start draws out to a lasting, lingering, bitter finish. The taste is similar to the description of the smell but a bit more grassiness and only a hint of grapefruit rinds.

M - smooth and well carbonated. Very bubbly so I swirled it a bit to get rid of some carbonation.

D - Pretty good, I would have another but I'd have to be in the mood.

Overall - Review from notes (April 2009) served at Monk's Cafe. A decent representative of an American IPA. Honestly, I'm not sure this would do it for me all the time but to be fair, it is undoubtedly a good beer. Russian River never fails. (948 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -17.6%

Big thanks to my wife for finding this and bringing it back! Bottled on 11/14/12, reviewed 3 days later.

A: golden color, very clear, has a one finger head initially that quickly dissipates to leave a few small pockets or bubbles and a ring on the edge of the glass.

S: huge smell of citrus, some pine, and some earthy smells. The smell really changes from bright citrus to the earthy and pine smells after taking my first sip.

T: after the smell, the taste is pretty average. Some malt, bitterness, almost no sweetness evident, and only a little earthy and piney hops. Where did the hops go?

M: decent body even though it seems highly attenuated, and the carbonation is right on.

O: good, but didn't live up to my expectations at all. Not a lot of flavor hops. Most of the flavor I got was in the smell or bitterness. Still a decent buy, and it was unbelievably fresh. (879 characters)

3.55/5  rDev -17.6%

Pours a hazy gold, two finger head. Good looking but where are the bubbles?

Aromas of citrus / hops.

Taste is not what I expected. Smooth balanced, and not too hoppy. Pineapple / citrus / a little pine / restrained hops.

Mouthfeel is the big let-down, well undercarbonated for style and this reviewer. If it had the 'zing' it would have lifted the entire beer experience.

I suspect bottle age may be a problem, but as it just landed off the boat, getting fresher will be difficult unless traded. Having said that bottle age would not affect the carbonation. (561 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -17.2%

Thanks alot to Sdpklz for this great brew! Brewed 09-07-10 and consuming 10-23-10

A- Pours a really light yellowish orange with a thing 1 finger white head that doesn't stick around.

S- Strong lemon and mandarin orange type citrus overpower some dank pine and earth hops. Not bad

T- Strong orange and lemon citrus, almost to much. Not enough hop presence, they're kind of faded in the background. Little to unbalanced for my taste.

M- Medium to lighter body with moderate carbonation and a semi bitter dry finish but honestly pretty wet for a IPA.

SkÅL! (560 characters)

3.57/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Medium gold color, with a thin white head. The beer is slightly hazy and has spotted carbonation.

S: It has a pretty good scent to it. I get a dank kind of earthy scent to it. I pick up a lot of Simcoe smell.

T: A piny hop character, very light on hop flavor and bitterness. Subtle grain character. Slightly vegetal.

M: It has a pleasant mouthfeel, which is an evenly dispersed bitterness across the palate. It has a nice dry finish.

O: Overall it's good. I would drink it again, but it didn't stand out in any particular way. (533 characters)

3.58/5  rDev -16.9%

My first review from my Secret Santa 2009 haul from brentk56. Surprised by the pale golden color. This tells me this is going to be another hop centric beer. A large white head forms and has excellant retention. The head slowly settles to a thick cap. Heavy lacing is left on the glass. Very hoppy aroma with hints of grapefruit, orange, and lemon. Nothing from the malt. The flavor is likewise one dimensional. Citrus hops do shine however in this hop display. Fresh citrus and pine flavors. I would of liked some malt to balance this out a little. The body is on the lighter side but has very good carbonation that gives this beer a nice texture. Nice hop flavors but I would like to taste a little malt in my IPAs. If someone is looking for a better American IPA, I would suggest a few Midwestern beers. (806 characters)

3.59/5  rDev -16.7%

Courtesy of IrishColonial. Thanks Eric!

A. Pours a slightly hazy goldenrod. Half finger eggshell white head, nice and crisp. Good lacing and retention.

S. Wow, this is one of the best smelling IPAs I have ever had. Could be the first named tropical storm of the season, as the pineapple and mango flavors keep on coming. I detect a good amount of orange, peach, and just a hint of bitter resin. The bouquet on this is first rate. Amazing.

T. Not nearly as smooth as the nose indicates. Gone are the tropical notes and instead it is just a massively bitter, pinecone infused hop bomb. Some grainy malts. Kind of a thin finish. A bit one note.

M. Bitterness dominates, but it's too thin. Where are the malts? Where is the more rounded hop profile? Exceptionally drying. Too bad.

O. I remember having this 9 months ago and I thought it was better than Pliny. This bottle is less than a month old, so it is as fresh as it gets. And it is extremely disappointing. The malt profile on this is awfully thin and what you are left with is a thin, watery bite. Not even close to a great IPA. (1,090 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -16.5%

Got this growler at Capones.

Cloudy orange body with a small white head that falls to a nice lacing.Not much carbonation is in the glass.

Piney,citrusy and some sweetness.

Piney and some nice sweetness but its very balanced.

Not much carbonation but I think that was from the filling of the growler.

Good beer but to me its nothing more then a good west coast ipa.Sorry RR.I'll have it again for sure but I dont think I'll buy another growler. (448 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -16.5%

Thanks to alexsess for the opportunity to try this.

A: Hazy orange, nice two finger head. Retreats quickly into the beer leaving a faint film. Excellent lacing.

S: Took me a while to warm up to the smell, but once I did, it was pretty enjoyable. Zesty lemon, pine, toasted notes. Kind of a sweet smell overall with bitter undertones.

T: In terms of taste, I don't typically enjoy something that's mostly lemonish, but this is ok. Some piney, spicy flavors as well. Sweet malt is present.

M: Thin and watery.

D: Beer goes down easy enough.

I'm not sure if it's the beer or me on this, but not terribly impressed with Blind Pig. A bad bottle maybe? A lot of recent reviews mentioned a clear look to the beer while mine was slightly hazy. To be perfectly honest, if this were a blind tasting, I would have scored everything .5 lower, but Russian River's reputation buys them benefit of the doubt. I'll try this again for sure and will update this review if I get different results. (985 characters)

3.6/5  rDev -16.5%

Thanks to DarthKostrizer for a couple of these! Review #700 - w00t! Bottled 080411. 500mL bottle.

Pours a crystal clear pale gold with thick white head. Nose is all about pale caramel, grains, orange rind and lime essence. Palate is medium bodied and decently bitter for a single IPA. Astringent citrus essence dried and clears the palate. After a sip or two it seems really thin.

Notes: Solid flavor but I see why Pliny is king. This is a nice beer, though. (460 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -16.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a lovely golden orange color. A small white head laces the top and is nice and frothy.

S: There is a nice floral smell with some pine. After a second or two, some citrus and grapefruit break through.

T and M: The bitterness hits you first. However, a nice piney flavor comes through along with some floral hops that give it a delcious balance of flavor. Good carbonation throughout makes it enjoyable.

O: This is a good IPA but not outstanding. I was expecting more from the hype that surrounds it. Maybe that is the problem though. I had too high of expectations. But it is worth giving a try and I definitely wouldn't turn it down. (648 characters)

3.62/5  rDev -16%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottled exactly 3 weeks ago :)

Poured into a big curvaceous witbier glass, surprisingly clear at the narrow waist, less transparent toward the top (got cold in transit, chill haze??). Perfect fluffy white two-finger head.

Really grabs my tongue, nice and dry. Taste-wise, maybe I've been having too many double IPAs lately, but I'm a little surprised at the subtlety here. Not a bad thing, just unexpected. The flavor, while subdued, is very pleasant. Nothing but bitter hops. No complaints, but I maybe had my hopes up a bit. The dry, tongue-twisting bitterness is the highlight. (582 characters)

3.63/5  rDev -15.8%

Poured a gold with slight amber. Fluffy white head that faded and didn't retain any lacing.

The smell wasn't in your face over powering but it was still easy to pick up some citrus.

The taste was pretty easy to wrap your head around with a nice back bone of malt, citrus hops, and bittering hops.

I remember liking this beer more a year ago. Its not bad at all just hard to stand up to all the other west coast IPAs. (419 characters)

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company