Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Blind Pig IPABlind Pig IPA

Wants: 1,525
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blind Pig IPA Alström Bros

3.03/5  rDev -30.5%

App: White, foamy head. Bright/light copper, very clear except yeast. Minimal retention and lacing.

Nose: Biscuits, citrus, big profile, a bit of vanilla and banana nut bread. Sweet nose with a hint of pear at the end.

Taste: Perfect carbonation. Slightly syrupy finish, dry in the middle, pineapples and mangoes, not much else.

Notes: Not as good as it was when brewed in Temecula.

3.05/5  rDev -30%

I was just expecting a lot more from a beer that was coming from Russian River Brewery. It just wasn't for me.....

3.05/5  rDev -30%

This is missing any real taste...

3.08/5  rDev -29.4%

500 ml bottle. Pours goden yellow with a frothy white head that quickly diminishes to a thin film that leaves some lacing.

The aroma is pretty subdued (esp after Pliny). There are some sweet sugary malts and a little melon and some peppery hops.

The flavor is some sweet malt and fruits with a kind of abrasive charcoal hop bitterness in the finish that has a good amount of bitterness. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with smooth carbonation.

Overall, I didn't really care for the hop flavor profile. I was surprised considering how much I liked the Pliny (which was much more balanced). Given the same price, I would take the Pliny over this any day of the week.

3.1/5  rDev -28.9%

Aromas of extremely pungent pine, fresh lemon, grapefruit, and faintly resinous hops. No malt at all; fairly clean.

The taste is completely and utterly dry, with nothing but wave after wave of citrusy and resiny hops assalting your tastebuds. I really cannot stomach such a hop bomb with no malt balance or detectability for that matter. If you are into this kind of thing you will love this beer but I prefer the ability to taste my next beer without having to eat a meal to cleanse my pallate.
The mouthfeel is fairly light bodied with very low carbonation. Smooth and slick, but not memorable.

Overall a miss for me just because of my style preferences, but I can see how some would enjoy.

3.1/5  rDev -28.9%

A: Pours a hazy reddish/orange color. A two finger white head forms with good retention. Light lace is left behind.
S: Huge resiny pine up front and center. A large bitterness. Nothing else.
T: Again, huge pine that dominates. Bitterness lingers on for ever. Nothing else but a sharp bitterness.
M/D: A medium body and carbonation. Really sticky and syrupy. Pretty hard for me to finish. I just get fatigued trying to finish this.

I really like RR. PtE is one of my favorite DIPA's. I thought I was going to like this, but there is nothing to take away from the palate burning pine and bitterness. Not for me.

3.15/5  rDev -27.8%

It's one of the hardest beers I've ever rated. Some things about it are great, but I'm afraid other things about it are not so great. I'm in the minority here, when I say this isn't one of the better West Coast IPA's. What's even more surprising, at least to me, is that I love Pliny the Elder from Russian River, but really have not warmed up to this at all.

Things start well with a chunky light tan head that refuses to go away floating on top of the hazy orange brew. And the aroma works for me, with mostly floral and slightly citrus hop notes dominating. And then I take a sip and...well, there's some citrus and floral character to the hops, but also a lot of bitterness there that really isn't pleasent, almost like chewing on a tire. Some malt is in there, but I just found this a bit harsh and astringent, and dare I say, a bit watery. I could drink this OK, but not as easily as a lot of other IPA's I've had.

I call them as I see them and sorry to say, I don't think this one deserves all the praise people heap onto it.

3.18/5  rDev -27.1%

2009 rate. I think something was wrong with this bottle so I should revisit this. I really dig both Plinys so I understand this should be a beer I enjoy given how great the brewery is.

Pours a strangely-light clear straw with a quickly receding head. Not the burst of hops I expected. Really subdued. A bit watery in the mouth, with a strange, harsh finish. Some nice characteristics, certainly drinkable, but absolutely below-average. I’ve had a dozen better IPAs in the last week. I have really enjoyed Russian River, but this is a strange offering.

3.2/5  rDev -26.6%

Bottled 12-06-10 and kept in refrigeration until I bought it last week. Poured into a tulip.

Russian River makes some beautiful IPAs. Blind Pig pours a pale gold, lustrous and awe-inspiring in its clarity. A half-finger head of foamy off-white crowns the gorgeous nectar, collapsing slowly to a top layer that -- while thin -- is rather sticky, gripping the sides in impressive webs of lace.

Nice hops in the aroma, but I'm more impressed by the malt: crackers and caramel in decent portions. There's a bit of sweet lime, grapefruit and a good amount of dank character.

The flavor is nice, though very subdued. Crackers, grapefruit peel, some honey, maybe even a hint of basil. A light bitterness grabs the sides of the tongue without much strength.

The body is a soft medium and a fizzy medium-light carbonation bubbles up the brew as it moves about.

Pliny and now this. Russian River's IPAs age like milk, even when they're in the fridge the whole time. This is drinkable enough, but it seems it's become a rather middling IPA. I'll seek it out on tap in the future.

3.23/5  rDev -25.9%

Poured from the pint bottle into a large snifter.

A: The beer is a hazy dark orange color with 2 fingers of incredibly quickly dissipating off white head.

S: Slightly citrusy with a good balanced character. Odd sort of medicinal smell in there somewhere and a soapy (?) character. Very hoppy. Not much balance.

T: Wow - intensely bitter with no balance. Not my cup of tea, but strong hop character. Sappy bitterness all the way through - I feel like I'm chugging sap and earwax. Slight citrus flavor in there somewhere of orange rind and pulp. This one is all bitterness. Jesus.

Notes: I don't think I'll be coming back to this one. I very much enjoyed Pliny and the bitter yet balanced character it brought to the table. This one is way too unbalanced brutally bitter-for-no-real-reason way. Hard to get through the whole bottle.

The bottle explains that a "Blind Pig" was a term for beer you would get during prohibition. This definitely could pass as moonshine...

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company