Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Blind Pig IPABlind Pig IPA

Wants: 1,460
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blind Pig IPA Alström Bros

stogirelli, Jun 16, 2013

Flabbyjandro, Aug 11, 2013

TubaDan, Dec 17, 2013

zenwatts, Jan 21, 2012
4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks go out to pwoods for the opportunity to try this. 500ml bottle with a born on date of 07-22-08. Neat bottle with a humorous blind pig on the bottle - go figure!

A: Pours a clear, medium amber with uber-sticky lacing running up the walls of my tulip- looks mind-baffling!

S: Rich pine all over the place! You can't miss this if you tried! Holy crap - pine all over the place. In addition, I smell some light caramel. Wow, super rich nose...

T/M: The best part... Medium bodied and waxy.... Bitter, dry, resinous pine hop flavors mixed with caramelized malts balanced together wonderfully. This is reminiscent of Pliny the Elder (Duh, same brewer) - only not as sharp and biting. Dry, bitter lingering finish. Delicious!

To all the hop heads out there - try this one out. Highly drinkable and worth a try. Thanks pimpp, DOH, I mean pwoods!

beachbum1975, Sep 26, 2008

Shilt, Jan 28, 2012

Blaze5445, Mar 29, 2013

mgr78704, May 18, 2014
4.28/5  rDev -1.8%

On tap at the Toronado and also at the Russian River brewpub 2 days apart while on vacation.

The beer poured a nice yellow/golden color with a bright white head that laced around the glass. the aroma of this beer has a very strong hoppy smell with a balance of citrus. Very pleasing. The taste had a nice balance between the bitter hops and the sweeter malt and citrus balance. There was a nice amount of carbonation in the Bling Pig which I really enjoy. The is a very drinkable beer and a very good example of an IPA.

ggaughan, Jan 26, 2006
4.9/5  rDev +12.4%

A: Looks as good as an IPA can get. Nice apricoty cloudy color with a not so dense head. Beautiful color, makes me wish it was warmer outside.

S: Apricoty, like the color oddly enough, sweet. Not super strong, but really amazing.

T: The least bitter IPA I've ever had. And somewhat smooth for an IPA too. Difficult to describe. Hoppy of course. Some pine. The body is smooth and creamy, very different. There's a vanilla ice cream flavor in there, right in the middle of the flavor. The aftertaste is bitter like an IPA, but not so strong.

M: Soft with a carbonation sparkle on top.

D: Not poundable, but i think this one is just fantastic. Yet the sum of it's parts somehow seem less than as individual traits, which is strange to say. I think this is my highest rated review yet. Best IPA I've ever had. Different, and quite special.

Holy crap, what a great beer.

sfprint, Jun 29, 2010

ScottP, Feb 23, 2013
4.25/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Pours a beautiful amber straw colour. The head is pillowy, but short, and as I drink the sides of my glass trace the path taken leaving that nice white lacing we all love so much.

The nose is a combination of woodland hops and a light bready maltiness that dulls the harshness of the hops.

The tongue follows the nose (as it is wont to do), with the hops providing a majority of the character, though they are well balanced by the light malting, and there's a faint almost honey-like essence to the tail end.

I like it. It goes down easily enough, and is well balanced. I'm not usually nutso about IPAs, but I rather enjoyed this one.

kemoarps, Dec 03, 2011
4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

Date bottled 1/21/11
Consumed 2/14/11
The main problem with this beer is it is PtE's little brother.
Very nice brassy pour into a pint glass. Smooth but I'm possibly having a Lupulin Threshold Shift because the hops just aren't there.
Well, they are really which is fine. If I wanted more hops, I'd have a Pliny.
Very well balanced. Too bad it isn't widely distributed so more people can enjoy this gem.

NWer, Feb 15, 2011

patrick802, May 04, 2014

Devi0us, Dec 07, 2011

Sanchezrox23, Mar 17, 2014

bsm80x, Jul 31, 2014
4.93/5  rDev +13.1%

Pours an orangy golden amber with a nice 3/4" head. Beautiful ribbons of lacing and wonderful head retention.

The aroma is piney citrus, sweet caramel malt and sweet pink grapefruit. Smells gorgeous.

The taste is pure pink grapefruit balaced against toasty, caramel malt which gives way to a tasty green leafy hops, all in spectacular balance.

The mouthfeel is smooth and velvety while at the same time tongue-tickling.

It's a joy to drink and I only wish I had ready access to this benchmark American IPA so I could drink more.

MeisterBurger, Jul 14, 2009

Sarge3130, Oct 19, 2013

seavercm, Jul 14, 2014

bluesplit63, Dec 08, 2012

rodlavers, Jun 05, 2013

Hopsiam14, Jan 27, 2013
4.6/5  rDev +5.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Had this a few times now, I guess it's time to review it. Received in a few different trades thanks to MiScusi and swnicholson. Thanks!

Most recently, Half liter bottle (7/09/08) into a Bruery-Branded Tulip. Beautiful golden caramel color, the glass helps to form a one inch off white head that leaves a thick abundance of lacing.

This holds up over time a lot better than Pliny, but still almost 6 months down the road has shown some deterioration. Fresher bottles I have had were nothing short of amazing- this one is still surprisingly vibrant in the nose.

Great citrus, pineapple all over the place in the aroma. I can't stop wanting to smell this beer.

Bitter enough to get my IPA fix, but more importantly bitter enough so that my friends won't raid my stash. Great stickiness about the hop flavor that coats your tongue. A slight background of a sweetness from the caramel malt really lets the hop flavor shine rather than an overbearing straight forward bitterness.

I could drink this all day if I had regular access to it. I suppose my bias is toward sessioning IPAs but this one goes down the hatch easy. For me, it's a catch 22- I don't have regular access to it, so I want to savor it when I get the chance, but it goes down so smooth!

Ineedabeerhere, Jan 15, 2009