Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Blind Pig IPABlind Pig IPA

Wants: 1,668
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Ratings: 4,950 | Reviews: 1,359
3.4/5  rDev -22.2%

Nice dark golden color with a good eggshell colored head and solid lacing. very noticeable carbonation.

Typical IPA hoppy notes on the nose; bitter citrus-grapefruit, pine

Flavor notes are exactly the same. Piney and grapefruit-citrus. It's very One Note. Flavor only coming from the hops. No malt balance.

Mouthfeel is medium bodies with solid carbonation and a fresh aftertaste.

Overall I'm a little disappointed from this! I had a feeling I was going to like this a little more than Pliny the Elder, especially after reading about the two in a forum. I was very let down by how it's so just one note, being all hops. Clearly the defining character of the style, but I believe there should be more balance. I will always grab a Pliny instead of Blind Pig.

4.68/5  rDev +7.1%

After playing football there are pretty much two acceptable types of beer. PBR, and lower alochol by volume IPA's. Fortunately, I had this Blind Pig around. The bottle date is 9/29/10, so it's just over a month old.

That said, it's still fantastic. It pours a straw hazey golden hue, with a finger head that sustains with nice lacing. Smells like pine, but, tastes like more than that. Hoppy, some citrus, some sweetness too. Beautiful. Medium body, but it's not overly done. Perfect drinkability for a session. I'm going to come back to this early and often, as soon as I can get my hands on it.

And in the meantime I might have to find another substitute for PBR. A man can only drink so many...

4.08/5  rDev -6.6%

Bottled July 9th, 2012.

A - Pours a clear gold with a slight amber hue. Frothy off-white head.

S - Clean pineapple and grapefruit. A good amount of pine as well.

T - Strong pine hops with clean malts. Bitter hop, orange peel finish.

M - Such a crisp beer. finishes dry. Very drinkable.

O - Not as well balanced as Pliny but not far behind. Takes the pine/orange peel route.

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

4.3/5  rDev -1.6%

4.75/5  rDev +8.7%

4.6/5  rDev +5.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

On tap at the brewery.

A: Pours a dark yellow/golden color with a big 2 finger white foam head. A good amount of lacing the whole way through the drink.

S: Grapefruit citrus hops are the most predominant scent. Very strong and very inviting.

T: If you enjoy ample amounts of citrus hops, grapefruit, pineapple and lemon, this is your beer. There are some malt character the evens out the beer.

M: Leaves a nice dry bitter finish on the palate.

D: Easy to drink IPA. A lower ABV does not make this 'sessionable' but it is easy to enjoy multiple in a sitting.

4.25/5  rDev -2.7%

4.83/5  rDev +10.5%

I was able to grab 4 bottles of this while visiting San Diego and this is the last one. All were bottled 090613. The first 2 we drank a week after bottling. Outstanding!

Poured into a dogfish head IPA glass. Golden in color with a pillowy white head that lingers beautifully.

Still plenty of citrus, grapefruit and juicy fruit in the nose. Slight bit of pineapple.

The taste is absolutely spectacular. Hops up front and hops in the background with just a slight hint of biscuit and straw. So clean and refreshing. I'm not sure it gets better than this.

Lingering hop bitterness with a medium mouthfeel. Just amazing.

3.75/5  rDev -14.2%

4.56/5  rDev +4.3%

From a bottle of the first batch.

A- When in good lighting it pours a clear golden orange, though sometimes can look reddish orange.

S- citric, orange marmalade, a bit floral.

T- Bitter, citrus rind, grapefruity, quite floral actually. Way more floral than I remember it.

M- medium to light-medium body. Carbonation in these bottles is fine.

I must say when I first had Blind Pig a couple years ago I became an instant fan and it was my favorite RR brew. Recently I have found the regular house RR IPA to be more satisfying, though I still enjoy Blind Pig very much.
___
1/29/09
Bumping the last rating up from 4.3-->5.0 This is just an amazing IPA as I have always known but I love the mango fruit aspect to it so much... makes it so unique.

4.18/5  rDev -4.3%

Thanks to baycat for this one.

Bottled on 04-04-11

A - Clear golden amber body, big white head. Really good look.

S - Grapefruit, pine resin, pine wood, fresh cut grass. Nice complex hop aroma.

T - Bitter, citrus, pine, dry, Bit of tangerine on the back. Nice complex hop flavor. Well balanced with the nose.

M - very smooth, dry. An excellent mouthfeel.

O (D) - this is a great IPA. I am happy to have it. I wish I lived in CA.

to view all ratings, reviews and sorting options.
Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company