Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Blind Pig IPABlind Pig IPA

Wants: 1,782
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,356 | Hads: 5,241
4.48/5  rDev +3.9%

Thanks to nightwing002 for the bottle.

Ap - Beer pours a crystal clear gold. 1/2 finger of big bubbles & white foam with decent retention.

Ar - Extreme hops, citrus & leafy. Very little malt quality on the nose, completely dominated by the hops.

T - Citrus, a little plant, decently bitter backbone. Not much malt again. Maybe a little biscuit. A bit vinous as well with a good chunk of resin.

M - Pretty light bodied, a little high carbed for my tastes. Amazing that this beer can be so light and crisp. Hop resins coat the mouth pretty well.

O - Very good, especially for a standard IPA. This really seems like it belongs more in the DIPA category, if not for Pliny. Very enjoyable, especially since it's a pretty fresh bottle, from 3/11. (745 characters)

3.4/5  rDev -21.1%

pours a surprisingly vibrant and bright coppery lemon color with a immense frothy head. great retention and lacing.
could smell the hops coming from the glass while it was still on the table. very floral and citrus notes up front.
taste is pure hops. pine and resin flavors up front, with an appealing grassy/earthy type of finish. not much in the way of malt at all.
mouthfeel is nice, a medium body with very lively carbonation, very enjoyable.
overall a very solid IPA, worth trying if you can find it, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it. (545 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +6%

Thanks to AndrewK for this great bottle!

A- very excellent copper color with average carbonation. Great, pillowy head.

S- amazing citrusy aromas. I get just a bit of a grainy smell as well. This smells just incredible.

T- WHOA! talk about a change of pace - I get tons of great caramel malts and tremendous, bready, yeasty notes. the smell is completely different from the taste, and I love it. Amazing malts for an IPA.

M- I get a weird aftertaste with this beer. The smell and the taste are so unique that the balance is tough. This is bitter from the hops and a bit funky from the bread taste.

O- great, really good IPA. I love the malts with this beer. Such a different and great IPA. (693 characters)

4.45/5  rDev +3.2%

Great beer, Currently drinking one straight from the bottle. This is Something you can drink all day, this bottle is from 01 12 11, still holding up its flavor/hoppyness, not watered down/flat tasting. I cannot wait to get a newer bottle release of this to update the review. Nom! (280 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -19.3%

pop top on this one two months too late (i think). Can smell hop aroma but its not very pungent. It's like smelling fruit juice that are not fresh . Orange to golden orange in color, with half inch whittish head and minimal lacing which goes away quick. Citrusy in flavor, pineapple and other tropical fruits. Malty with sweetness. Bitter but not as hoppy as a double IPA like it's sister Pliny the Elder. Smooth and dry, very, very drinkable. all in all not the one of the best ipa's ive ever had but i've got to hold pliney responsibale for setting the standers so high for me on this one. with all that said maybee i should try one fresh not two and half months old. (669 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%

On tap at Teresa's in Wayne, PA.

Gold colored, not so much orange as with many other IPAs I've been drinking lately. It smelled pretty good, with a lot of hops and florals. The taste was excellent. Very smooth, light with lots of fruit and flowers, not a hint of bitterness anywhere. (284 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

First time I've had this brew, been waiting over two years for it!!

Appearance: Orangey beauty clear foamy water. Oh it sits so pretty within the glass. A lovely pour, and a stands even so lovely as you sip it down marking it's last level.

Smell: Welcoming, my hop-head within is awakened. I closed my eyes and moved beyond the citrus hops and grass to a malt aroma that brings it home.

Taste: Straight no chaser on the tongue. Malty hopped IPA. No games no lies. It is what it is.

Mouthfeel: Amazing oillyness from the hops. Great Medium body; won't leave you hanging.

Drinkability: A nice serving at a perfect ABV, I could have another but why... Save it for later, my tongue just got off one this brew and is good for the day.... (737 characters)

4.95/5  rDev +14.8%

Amazing clarity, amber color with lots of carbonation with a nice white head. With a crisp hop smell and a little sweet maltiness. First sip strong bitterness, second sip hops mellow a little more on the tongue, clean fresh, then a nice maltiness that blends wonderful with the bitterness.

This is an awesome IPA, easy to drink clean, refreshing on a hop day. (360 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +4.2%

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into a pint glass, 2nd experience from russian river...

A-Pours a crystal clear golden yellow with a 2 finger off white head that dissipates down to half a finger with nice lacing through out...

S-Man did this beer smell just wonderful after popping the cap off, very juicy smelling, monster aroma...grapefruit like with floral notes and some orange and lemon zest or lemon grass as well...maybe the best smelling beer i have ever smelled...

T-Very smooth grapefruit with citrus peels up front, Has your nice mid malt floral notes and a very dry finish...yum

M-Medium bodied, has nice carbonation and kind of creamy like, very nice...i want more...

O-Great beer, its plinys cousin i would say...smells great and taste the same, when i pick up a pliny i pick up a pig as well...damn these beers are good (836 characters)

Hazy gold, with a one inch head of dense white foam. Retention is moderate and clingy lacework throughout. Aromatics are pungent and floral. Tangerines, pine sap, grapefruit, apricots, melons, and light, fresh malt. Tropical fruits in a Northern forest. Medium bodied, with a crisp, dry mouthfeel. (297 characters)

3.93/5  rDev -8.8%

Poured a nice amber color. Sounded good when I poured it if that counts for anything. Excellent lacing. some slight cloudyness.

smell is citrusy and pine notes, good smell but I am not blown away.

taste bitter hops, grapefruit peelings. Good but not the best.

Mouthfeel smooth with a sticky finish.

A good IPA but certainly not the best IPA. it is drinkable but I was expecting a lot more from both this and Pliny the elder, which I had last night. (452 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +7.7%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a beautiful honey golden color with a nice pillowy two-finger white head leaving nice sticky lacings on the glass.

S: WOW! The aroma of fresh hops comes rushing out of my glass! Very grassy, floral, citrus, lots of grapefruit. I could just sit here & smell this all day!

T: Not as big as the nose suggests but very well balanced. Starts off with a little bit of biscuity malt then moves on to an assertive hop bitterness. Again lots of floral & grassy flavors finishing with grapefruit.

M: Light-Medium bodied mouthfeel. A little oily, not much alcohol presence.

D: Very drinkable IPA. I love everything that Russian River Brewing is doing & love turning new people on to their great brews! If you haven't gotten the chance to experience them you are missing out. (823 characters)

4.2/5  rDev -2.6%

Had this on tap at RR and brought a bottle back. It's not the freshest bottle (about 5 weeks old), so I'm basing my review on the tap and bottle.

To be honest, after drinking this and Pliny in the same sitting (and afterwards in separate bottle sittings), I can see why people say that this rivals Pliny. It's a great beer.

The nose is very nice but not overpowering. The balance of the hops and the bite hits just perfect. The hop flavor is complex, as it hits you with citrus at first with a piney finish. Great IPA, and a pleasure to drink. (547 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +9.5%

The aroma of this beer is phenomenal. It has a really fresh hop smell that sets it apart from some of my other favorite IPAs like Bell's Two Hearted and Victory Hop Devil. Really well balanced with moderate bitterness that balances out and finishes loooong. It has a great full mouthfeel for an IPA and it's really pretty stellar. Lacing stays on the side of the glass sticks around for a long time. (399 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%

Served in 16 oz Tulip Glass

A: Medium amber color, foamy white head that leaves a little bit of lacing but not much

S: Nice Citrusy smell with some pine in it. not a super strong smell.

T: Hoppy and a little malty with the citrus fruit taste still in there. Very bitter but a little bit of sweetness shows. Pine is also in the mix and sticks out nicely. overall a great taste

M: Bitterness at the back of my tongue, not a very intense aftertaste but it's good

O: Very good IPA that Russian River has made. A lot like Pliny but a tad lighter. I enjoyed drinking this very much. (581 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Same as everybody else: bottled 5/02/2013

Poured into a cold large glass Just big enough to hold the entire 17.25 oz after a little sip.

Seductive honey color with a thumb-width cream-colored head which dissolved into a thin line with light delicate lacing.

I got a good hops whiff when I opened the bottle but after the pour the smell was pretty weak. Later, as the beer warmed a little, I got good honey and malt smells, but somewhat light on the citrus or pine.

Great flavor! Loads of hops but surprisingly light on the bitterness. It's there, just not the massive IBUs of some. Now... I LIKE high IBUs and might normally downgrade an IPA for being too light, but this beer pulls it all together. This is the taste I want.

Mouthfeel? I call it after-taste. After the swallow you get the resiny hops clinging to the tongue and supplying plenty of recycled flavor. I sort of pump my tongue to cycle this past my nose. I dare say this is my favorite part of any big-hops beer. Now I sort of like Palate Wrecker better for this -- not for quality, but for shear quantity and durability of the aftertaste. For aftertaste quality, this Blind Pig is as good as it gets, in my opinion.

Overall: YES. What else can I say? (1,226 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Was fortunate enough to come across some Blind Pig and Pliny the Elder in a beer trade.

Again fortunate, this was a extremely pleasing beer. Aromatic, yet also very flavorful and bold. Has a soapyish taste to it, one I enjoyed a lot. I will certainly trade for and attempt to find more if I can.

Excellent beer over all! (322 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -11.8%

Was able to do a vertical - Blind Pig, Pliny the Elder, and Pliny the Younger:

A: Nice pale golden hue. A bit of frothy head that reduced down.

S: Smelled mildy hoppy, with a bit of ginger. Also stone fruit but not near as strong as the PTY.

T: Tasted like a nice IPA - but when compared to PTY and PTE, it is a rather watered down version. Not a spectacular taste but would go down quite well on a hot summer day. Nice baseball beer.

M: Nice carbonation, light flavors, light mouthfeel.

D: Went down just fine. Is a nice all-around IPA. (542 characters)

4.05/5  rDev -6%

500ml bottle (bottled 090710) as a trade extra (thanks Paul) poured into a 500ml Founders tulip glass. "Don't save Blind Pig for a rainy day!" warns the bottle; I didn't have to wait, I got it yesterday and when the heavens opened on my way home from dinner I knew there was but one option for me in the fridge.

It pours with a nice head that even near the bottom of the glass has left rings of lacing where the head subsided. The smell is total tropical fruits with a sharp grassy back end. The taste continues the fruit but quickly turns into floral notes as the hops die down leaving a rounded, malty finish that's not too sweet at all. The lingering taste is a little bit sweet though, along with a definite hop-induced drymouth that probably won't come off my tongue until I brush my teeth. Not that I, personally, want it to.

Awesome brew. If only IPAs, in general, were easier to session. As far as this one goes, kind of takes control of your palate for the rest of the night. I don't know if I could have another one, or anything else, after. Edit: just noticed it's only 6.1%abv. If I were a bigger hophead than I am I would definitely go for one more. A hop bomb this strong holds its own against 7.5%+ offerings, I thought for sure it was higher. (1,260 characters)

4.57/5  rDev +6%

As close to a perfect beer as I have found. Great balance between the bountiful hops in the mouth and the smoothness in the finish. The aroma is second to none, where you can pick up on so many different hints of citrus, fruit and hops. Again, for all the flavor you get when drinking, this remains a very drinkable IPA (319 characters)

4.65/5  rDev +7.9%

Just over a month bottling, in a DFH snifter.

A- Honey colored, with nice two finger head. Head sticks around for awhile and has a very nice appearance.
S- Pungent hoppy citrus with resiny undertones.
T- Citrus, possibly orange with a creamy bitter finish
M- Amazing.Great creamy light and refreshing feeling.
D- Extremely drinkable. Great lawnmower beer, imo. (362 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Pours golden with an inch head. Aroma is hoppy with notes of pine and citrus. Taste is smooth and crisp with balanced malt and bitterness. Happiness is just right and a slight sweetness. Nice mouth feel. Extremely tasty IPA that is underrated because of its shadow to Pliny. (274 characters)

4.33/5  rDev +0.5%

I got this on the growler fill at Big Z - an excellent find in NY! Poured it into one of those Sam Adams bubble glasses, which do not hold a full pint. Maybe it's 13 oz. - I'm not sure.

The look is sort of amber and very pleasant. I've had it bottled, and the appearance was similar, but for whatever reason it looked much more appealing out of a keg.

The smell is also very nice, certainly not overpowering and there are some subtle fruity and flowery elements that soften it considerably. I poured it gently and it had a nice head on it, and actually retained it for a while.

It's one of the most easiest-to-drink IPAs that I've had. It's certainly not too hoppy; actually the hops compliment well some of the gentler flavors like citrus (grapefruit!?). I also agree with the idea that this is pine-y too, which I like. It's a very crisp and happy beer. The alcohol level, which is substantial but not huge at 6.1%, does not overpower, and ultimately the whole thing is just very balanced. I guess that's why it got such good reviews.

I like it, and I will go back for more of it while it lasts. (1,101 characters)

4.5/5  rDev +4.4%

Smell is very fruity and citrusy! Can smell hoppy aroma. It's like smelling fruit juice. Orange to golden orange in color, with half inch whittish head and minimal lacing which goes away quick. Citrusy in flavor, pineapple and other tropical fruits! Malty with sweetness. Bitter but not as hoppy as a double IPA like it's sister Pliny the Elder. Smooth and dry, very, very drinkable. Wish the store lets me take out two or more bottles when it's available. So delicious and highly recommended. (493 characters)

4.51/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a hazy yellow with a solid well formed head,peaks well and begins to pit leaving mountain like striations of foam and lace,this is one of the finest heads on a beer I have seen in years,as the head dissipates this beer tells you instantly its an IPA citrus floral west coast hops hit your nose,well balanced sweet acid and a solid west coast hop finish,man I could drink a ton of these,Fresh and on tap is all I could think of,but as for my bottle it was still an exceptional IPA (485 characters)

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company