Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,371 | Hads: 5,318
4.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Appearance: Very clear, golden amber appearance, with 3/4 finger, off-white head.

Smell: Clean, malty, hoppy, grassy.

Taste: Strong roasted malty start, without a lot of caramel, but is balanced well by good hop finish. Does a good job of hiding its alcohol.

Mouth: Medium body, lightly oily, good carbonation.

Overall: One of my favorite beers. Strong malt and hops, without the piney flavor of Pliny.

4.53/5  rDev +4.9%
look: 5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thank you MMAJYK for the brew.

Poured a beautiful orange color. With a slight white head and minimal lacing.

Smelled wonderful of citrus (grapefruit) with a hint of pine and malt. I was ready for a hop bomb. I didn't expect what i got.

Taste was drivin by the pine with a nice compliment of hops and malt. Citrus was throughout the beer making the mouthfeel very light and perfectly carbonated.

Finish was very piney/woody with a nice hop bite. A very nice/different IPA. I love that i have tried this beer and this redition of an IPA. Very surprising and i highly recommend for the experience.

4.96/5  rDev +14.8%

500 ml bottle

A: Amber/orange color with a faint white head. Carbonated well to leave a lasting head. White lacing on the glass tracked my progress.

S: Incredible hop aroma.

T: Hop flavors match the aroma. Perfect balance between hops and malt.

M: Very pleasing to the palate. Hop bitterness leaves a dry feeling, which only makes me want more.

O: An excellent single IPA from Russian River Brewing Company. My only complaint is that Vinny does not distribute his IPAs in bottles to the East Coast.

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%

500ml bottle poured in to a large chalice. Bottled on 09/05/08.

Pours a copper color with white fluffy head and residuals floating throughout. Medium carbonation. Sticky lacing left behind as the beer is drank. Smells of sugary malts and a light smell of fruity hops. Earthy, leathery malts complimented by a mild citrusy/fruity hops flavor. Mild bitter aftertaste. Light mouth feel with medium/low carbonation. I could definitely drink several of these beers. Overall I was fairly surprised how mild this beer was. After all, the label describes the beer as "...a bold IPA packed full of hop aroma, flavor, and bitterness." I didn't get this. Maybe I got a bad bottle or maybe because I drank it 119 days after it was bottled? Who knows? Not what I expected but still a good beer overall.

4.56/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

If you like IPA this is a great tasting beer for you. Balanced hop and citrus flavors that goes down smoothly. Smell has a hint of grapefruit and floral hops.
Great beer especially fresh from the tap!

4.45/5  rDev +3%

500 ml bottle poured into a tumbler. Consumed on Christmas Eve day.

A - Careful pour yields a frothy 2-finger head with good retention and sticky lacing down the glass. Light copper color with lots of suspended material.

S - Citrusy and piney hops along with light biscuity malt. Grapefruit is prominent. Smells fresh.

T - Piney hops up front then becoming more citrusy and floral. Faint but sweet malt presence. Finishes dry with a lingering bitterness. Balance is to my liking for an IPA.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. On the lighter-side for an IPA which I like.

D - Very high. I could easily drink a 6er. Among the most drinkable IPAs I've tried.

I wish I had a Racer 5 to compare this to but it seemed comparable. If this were available to me it would be a welcome addition to my IPA rotation.

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

500ml bottle: Acquired from HopHead84 as an extra in a recent trade. Thanks Shane!

Poured into standard pint, color is hazy orange, with a three-finger creamy off-white head that quickly dissipates leaving heavy sticky lacing on the side.

First whiff and I was kicked in the teeth with heavy citrusy hops. Put the glass down for a few moments, and then gave it another sniff. While the citrus dominates, I also get pine and dry grass aromas as well.

Upon tasting, I get very little malt and the hops present so strongly in the aroma don't come driving through as I had hoped. Don't get me wrong, the grapefruity and piney hops are still there, especially in the finish. But I would love to have seen a bit more malt in the profile.

A very good IPA offering.

4.48/5  rDev +3.7%

Thanks to nightwing002 for the bottle.

Ap - Beer pours a crystal clear gold. 1/2 finger of big bubbles & white foam with decent retention.

Ar - Extreme hops, citrus & leafy. Very little malt quality on the nose, completely dominated by the hops.

T - Citrus, a little plant, decently bitter backbone. Not much malt again. Maybe a little biscuit. A bit vinous as well with a good chunk of resin.

M - Pretty light bodied, a little high carbed for my tastes. Amazing that this beer can be so light and crisp. Hop resins coat the mouth pretty well.

O - Very good, especially for a standard IPA. This really seems like it belongs more in the DIPA category, if not for Pliny. Very enjoyable, especially since it's a pretty fresh bottle, from 3/11.

3.4/5  rDev -21.3%

pours a surprisingly vibrant and bright coppery lemon color with a immense frothy head. great retention and lacing.
could smell the hops coming from the glass while it was still on the table. very floral and citrus notes up front.
taste is pure hops. pine and resin flavors up front, with an appealing grassy/earthy type of finish. not much in the way of malt at all.
mouthfeel is nice, a medium body with very lively carbonation, very enjoyable.
overall a very solid IPA, worth trying if you can find it, but I wouldn't go out of my way for it.

4.57/5  rDev +5.8%

Thanks to AndrewK for this great bottle!

A- very excellent copper color with average carbonation. Great, pillowy head.

S- amazing citrusy aromas. I get just a bit of a grainy smell as well. This smells just incredible.

T- WHOA! talk about a change of pace - I get tons of great caramel malts and tremendous, bready, yeasty notes. the smell is completely different from the taste, and I love it. Amazing malts for an IPA.

M- I get a weird aftertaste with this beer. The smell and the taste are so unique that the balance is tough. This is bitter from the hops and a bit funky from the bread taste.

O- great, really good IPA. I love the malts with this beer. Such a different and great IPA.

4.45/5  rDev +3%

Great beer, Currently drinking one straight from the bottle. This is Something you can drink all day, this bottle is from 01 12 11, still holding up its flavor/hoppyness, not watered down/flat tasting. I cannot wait to get a newer bottle release of this to update the review. Nom!

3.48/5  rDev -19.4%

pop top on this one two months too late (i think). Can smell hop aroma but its not very pungent. It's like smelling fruit juice that are not fresh . Orange to golden orange in color, with half inch whittish head and minimal lacing which goes away quick. Citrusy in flavor, pineapple and other tropical fruits. Malty with sweetness. Bitter but not as hoppy as a double IPA like it's sister Pliny the Elder. Smooth and dry, very, very drinkable. all in all not the one of the best ipa's ive ever had but i've got to hold pliney responsibale for setting the standers so high for me on this one. with all that said maybee i should try one fresh not two and half months old.

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a orange almost red hue with a off white head that disappears pretty quickly. The lacing on this is really nice and wraps the inside of your glass all the way down. Lots of pine and a bit of citrus. Not overly bitter and very well balanced. A top notch IPA.

4.75/5  rDev +10%

On tap at Teresa's in Wayne, PA.

Gold colored, not so much orange as with many other IPAs I've been drinking lately. It smelled pretty good, with a lot of hops and florals. The taste was excellent. Very smooth, light with lots of fruit and flowers, not a hint of bitterness anywhere.

4.99/5  rDev +15.5%

Received two bottles in a West Coast to East Coast trade.

A: Golden coloring, slightly orange. Off white head with great lacing.
S: Very citrusy and piney. Smells juicy!
T: Nice sweet pineapple and citrus flavors throughout, with a small amount of toasty malt.
M: Slight bitterness with a juicy, wet feel. The finish is somewhat dry.
O: This is a fantastic beer which is overlooked sometimes due to the hype that Pliny the Elder receives. I would definitely recommend a fresh Bling Pig to anyone, cheers!

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

First time I've had this brew, been waiting over two years for it!!

Appearance: Orangey beauty clear foamy water. Oh it sits so pretty within the glass. A lovely pour, and a stands even so lovely as you sip it down marking it's last level.

Smell: Welcoming, my hop-head within is awakened. I closed my eyes and moved beyond the citrus hops and grass to a malt aroma that brings it home.

Taste: Straight no chaser on the tongue. Malty hopped IPA. No games no lies. It is what it is.

Mouthfeel: Amazing oillyness from the hops. Great Medium body; won't leave you hanging.

Drinkability: A nice serving at a perfect ABV, I could have another but why... Save it for later, my tongue just got off one this brew and is good for the day....

4.95/5  rDev +14.6%

Amazing clarity, amber color with lots of carbonation with a nice white head. With a crisp hop smell and a little sweet maltiness. First sip strong bitterness, second sip hops mellow a little more on the tongue, clean fresh, then a nice maltiness that blends wonderful with the bitterness.

This is an awesome IPA, easy to drink clean, refreshing on a hop day.

4.49/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a 16.9 oz bottle into a pint glass, 2nd experience from russian river...

A-Pours a crystal clear golden yellow with a 2 finger off white head that dissipates down to half a finger with nice lacing through out...

S-Man did this beer smell just wonderful after popping the cap off, very juicy smelling, monster aroma...grapefruit like with floral notes and some orange and lemon zest or lemon grass as well...maybe the best smelling beer i have ever smelled...

T-Very smooth grapefruit with citrus peels up front, Has your nice mid malt floral notes and a very dry finish...yum

M-Medium bodied, has nice carbonation and kind of creamy like, very nice...i want more...

O-Great beer, its plinys cousin i would say...smells great and taste the same, when i pick up a pliny i pick up a pig as well...damn these beers are good

Hazy gold, with a one inch head of dense white foam. Retention is moderate and clingy lacework throughout. Aromatics are pungent and floral. Tangerines, pine sap, grapefruit, apricots, melons, and light, fresh malt. Tropical fruits in a Northern forest. Medium bodied, with a crisp, dry mouthfeel.

3.93/5  rDev -9%

Poured a nice amber color. Sounded good when I poured it if that counts for anything. Excellent lacing. some slight cloudyness.

smell is citrusy and pine notes, good smell but I am not blown away.

taste bitter hops, grapefruit peelings. Good but not the best.

Mouthfeel smooth with a sticky finish.

A good IPA but certainly not the best IPA. it is drinkable but I was expecting a lot more from both this and Pliny the elder, which I had last night.

4.64/5  rDev +7.4%

Poured from a 12oz. bottle into a pint glass.

A: Pours a beautiful honey golden color with a nice pillowy two-finger white head leaving nice sticky lacings on the glass.

S: WOW! The aroma of fresh hops comes rushing out of my glass! Very grassy, floral, citrus, lots of grapefruit. I could just sit here & smell this all day!

T: Not as big as the nose suggests but very well balanced. Starts off with a little bit of biscuity malt then moves on to an assertive hop bitterness. Again lots of floral & grassy flavors finishing with grapefruit.

M: Light-Medium bodied mouthfeel. A little oily, not much alcohol presence.

D: Very drinkable IPA. I love everything that Russian River Brewing is doing & love turning new people on to their great brews! If you haven't gotten the chance to experience them you are missing out.

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

Had this on tap at RR and brought a bottle back. It's not the freshest bottle (about 5 weeks old), so I'm basing my review on the tap and bottle.

To be honest, after drinking this and Pliny in the same sitting (and afterwards in separate bottle sittings), I can see why people say that this rivals Pliny. It's a great beer.

The nose is very nice but not overpowering. The balance of the hops and the bite hits just perfect. The hop flavor is complex, as it hits you with citrus at first with a piney finish. Great IPA, and a pleasure to drink.

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

The aroma of this beer is phenomenal. It has a really fresh hop smell that sets it apart from some of my other favorite IPAs like Bell's Two Hearted and Victory Hop Devil. Really well balanced with moderate bitterness that balances out and finishes loooong. It has a great full mouthfeel for an IPA and it's really pretty stellar. Lacing stays on the side of the glass sticks around for a long time.

Served in 16 oz Tulip Glass

A: Medium amber color, foamy white head that leaves a little bit of lacing but not much

S: Nice Citrusy smell with some pine in it. not a super strong smell.

T: Hoppy and a little malty with the citrus fruit taste still in there. Very bitter but a little bit of sweetness shows. Pine is also in the mix and sticks out nicely. overall a great taste

M: Bitterness at the back of my tongue, not a very intense aftertaste but it's good

O: Very good IPA that Russian River has made. A lot like Pliny but a tad lighter. I enjoyed drinking this very much.

4.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Same as everybody else: bottled 5/02/2013

Poured into a cold large glass Just big enough to hold the entire 17.25 oz after a little sip.

Seductive honey color with a thumb-width cream-colored head which dissolved into a thin line with light delicate lacing.

I got a good hops whiff when I opened the bottle but after the pour the smell was pretty weak. Later, as the beer warmed a little, I got good honey and malt smells, but somewhat light on the citrus or pine.

Great flavor! Loads of hops but surprisingly light on the bitterness. It's there, just not the massive IBUs of some. Now... I LIKE high IBUs and might normally downgrade an IPA for being too light, but this beer pulls it all together. This is the taste I want.

Mouthfeel? I call it after-taste. After the swallow you get the resiny hops clinging to the tongue and supplying plenty of recycled flavor. I sort of pump my tongue to cycle this past my nose. I dare say this is my favorite part of any big-hops beer. Now I sort of like Palate Wrecker better for this -- not for quality, but for shear quantity and durability of the aftertaste. For aftertaste quality, this Blind Pig is as good as it gets, in my opinion.

Overall: YES. What else can I say?

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company