Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,384 | Hads: 5,391
3.96/5  rDev -8.3%

Dark orange with foamy white head and huge lacing. Citrus on the nose, mostly grapefruit, with a little sweet malt in the back. Unexpectedly light tasting in comparison to the dark color. Well balanced with malt, hop flavor and bitterness. Light bodied and slaty flat feeling.

4.36/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Poured from bottle purchased at RRBC. Pours a nice orange color. Good carbonation and medium white head. Smells of good malt and delicious hops. Taste is medium bitterness and awesome hop flavor lingering. Very smooth mouthfeel and goes down very easy. I could drink this every day if supply allows. Very good hop forward IPA.

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

Near perfect IPA. Balanced, great hops overlays solid malt without excess sweet or alcohol. I would drink this every day if it were available in the east.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Received as a gift from @csp0380 – thanks!
Poured into my DFH IPA glass.
A – Pours a clear golden orange color with 2 fingers of head and lots of lacing as it settles.
S – Aroma is citrus and a bit floral but not very strong.
T – Some grapefruit zest on the front end, a little piney with some bitterness on the finish.
M – Medium mouth feel and carbonation.
O – A very well done West Coast IPA.

4.48/5  rDev +3.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.5

Had on tap at Monk's Cafe in Philadelphia.

Pours a mostly clear copper color with about half a finger of creamy white head. Nothing special in this regard but it's pleasing enough.

The nose is quite pleasant; nothing in particularly sticks out but the gestalt is very effective and valanced. There are discernible elements of pine, tropical fruits, and citrus rind. Quintessentially west-coast for sure.

The taste is where the beer begins to truly shine. This might be the most balanced IPA I've ever tasted. Everything present in the nose makes an appearance. The beer is simultaneously tropical and piney but these bright flavors are balanced and softened by the perfect amount of hop bitterness and just enough malt so that the hop flavors aren't overwhelming. The mouthfeel is well-carbonated and about medium in thickness for an IPA. Finishes bone-dry.

Overall I was very impressed with Blind Pig. The beer itself is as much an exercise in showing hop strengths as it is in showing craft and restraint. Very possibly my favorite single-IPA of all time at the moment…would love to get the chance to try it again.

4.9/5  rDev +13.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Blind Pig was awesome....sometimes it pays to trick or treat at a neighbors house that just got back from California!!! YEEEE HAW! It was perfectly balanced with notes of pine and orange peel citrus. It poured a copperish with white head and wonderful lace. The mouthfeel was medium in body with good carbonation. Overall....YUMMY!

4.31/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottle date 10/19/2015.
Thanks Kristin
Nice one finger white head. Nice juciy grapefruit aroma and maybe a hint of pine. Very tasty and easy to drink. Loved it.

4.66/5  rDev +7.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Finally was able to get a bottle in a trade. Got a Bling Pig and a Pliny so got to try them side by side. Bottles were two weeks old.

Pours a nice clear orange with a nice nose. Decent head, and a more typical west coast hop forward beer. I found it very refreshing and a solid single IPA that I would buy again and again. Its clearly Pliny's little brother and its supposed to be. Looking forward to finding another.

4.31/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 10/1. Drank 23 days later, and I'm hoping it hadn't fallen off too hard already. I only say that because it seems to be missing just that zing I'm expecting on the back end. Strong hoppy nose and taste combines with mild bitterness, slight juicy feel. I guess I'm being unfair and not meeting this one on its own terms, because I had a Pliny last night and that just seems to have the "total package" Blind Pig lacks for some reason. I don't know – maybe it's that Pliny has a higher ABV.

4.21/5  rDev -2.5%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Always like this beer. It's a nice mix of Midwest, and west coast. A bit bitter and piny, but not sharp. A bit malty, but not too sweet. Great easy drinker, especially fresh.

4.46/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Really good IPA. I have heard a few people say they prefer this to Pliny and thiugh each to his own I disagree. However, it's still excellent in its own right. A little more dry than Pliny overall and maybe just a tiny bit hoppier overall. Put it this way, I would never turn this beer or Pliny down

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Transparent golden color, one finger off white head
Juicy citrus followed by fresh pine; slightly floral
Tropical fruits up front, awesome piney bitterness on the back end
Medium light body but provides dry bitterness
Once of my favorite ipas and one of the great reasons to visit RR!

4.46/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Serving Type: Bottle (dated 10.1.15)
Consumed: 10.4.15

A: 4.5 Pours a clear, copper-gold with a one inch, off-white head. Good retention and lots of lace.

S: 4.75 Plenty of hops on the nose with waves of pine and onion up front. Grapefruit, honey, and lemon show up as the pine settles down. The hop character fits beautifully in with subtle, earthy malt aromas.

T: 4.25 Taste is similar to the nose, but a bit less complex and balanced. Starts with a bit of sweetness and honey flavors, followed by fairly bitter, piney hops, then finally lingering malt and more, grassy bitterness.

M: 4.5 The body is really nice and substantial while remaining crisp and refreshing; this is probably in part due to the excellent carbonation level.

O 4.5 Excellent beer. Not quite as balanced as Pliny, but the amazing aroma and drinkability almost make up for it.

3.75/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This bottle is almost two months old at the time of review. The beer comes in an amber color. There isn't much aroma. A little bit of malt and pine. The taste is a pretty standard west coast malt character with some great hop flavor coming through. I think I would enjoy a fresher bottle more.

4.99/5  rDev +15.5%

Received two bottles in a West Coast to East Coast trade.

A: Golden coloring, slightly orange. Off white head with great lacing.
S: Very citrusy and piney. Smells juicy!
T: Nice sweet pineapple and citrus flavors throughout, with a small amount of toasty malt.
M: Slight bitterness with a juicy, wet feel. The finish is somewhat dry.
O: This is a fantastic beer which is overlooked sometimes due to the hype that Pliny the Elder receives. I would definitely recommend a fresh Bling Pig to anyone, cheers!

4.81/5  rDev +11.3%

I loved this beer got this sent to me in a 22oz. Poured good taste was great I think this is the best beer from Russian River. Wish I could get it more out here in NJ.

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Total classic, and I kinda love that the taste is "classic IPA" in nature -- piney bitterness in this one. Very floral. Some caramel sweetness as well that pokes through, but the story here is that piney bitterness that sits on the back of your tongue well through the last gulp. Nose is nice, pine, caramel, some faint citrus and a light herbal/earthy character.

4.59/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very approachable IPA for amount of hop it carries, with lots of depth of flavour and a very dry finish.
S- Its sweet on the nose, with hints of rye bread and apricot.
T- Subtle and complex this beer goes through the full typical ipa fruit spectrum but carries nice cardamon, cumin and butterscotch as well. The hop is in the middle allowing time for a sweetness fresh finish that prevents any of the cloying build up that many hop-heavy ipa's have.
F: Very dry, light but not thin.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I really liked this beer and it certainly lived up to the hype. I am not one of the people who thinks this beer is better than Pliny, but this was still an awesome beer.

1.87/5  rDev -56.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

510 ml bottled on 082615. Exactly two weeks old.

L: Clear golden in color. Small head quickly settled before I even get a chance to instagram it :) very nice lancing. Beautiful appearance for sure.

S: Big fail. This one is not aromatic. If there's no date on the bottle I would assume this is pretty old. Very light citrus, light caramel and hint of pine.

T: bland, reminds me of an old english-style ipa. I can't believe the hype of this beer. There's a light spicy/herbal flavors that I can't describe but noting really unique.

M: unpleasantly dry aftertaste, very bitter, and very light. Extremely drinkable but not sticky or juicy. Very good carbonation however, I really enjoyed that part.

O: Maybe the most underwhelming drinking experience. Extremely overhyped beer. This is nothing close to a good ipa, definitely below average ipa.

4.58/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap:
Pale yellow, lightly hazed beer. I like the light pale color, the white addition seems a tad odd.??head makes up for the color, though: nice, white, and foamy at the edges. Lacing comes in spotted sheets.

The nose is surprisingly . Warmth brings out some grassy notes. I also get a little lemon rind.
The taste, however (and mildly paradoxically) is quite enjoyable. Mildly hoppy opening that seems clean of malt. The initial taste I get reminds me of noble hops. More hops pile on that add a more distinctively grassy flavor. Despite the draw on the tongue this brings, it somehow seems refreshing with hints of citrus-including the lemon rind from the nose.

Finally the somewhat unexpected spice bite hits. It's sort of like I picked a stalk of grass from a field and stuck it in my mouth like I did when I was a kid to emulate what I assumed farmers did.

Solid IPA.

4.41/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

One of my favorite IPA's.

Look- Pours a beautiful slightly hazy pale orange with small streams of carbonation.

Smell- Citrusy, hoppy, and a tad sweet, not as aromatic as other IPA's though.

Taste- Wonderfully citrusy and hoppy, ever so slightly sweet that balances out the bitter perfectly. Very very tasty.

Feel- Quite light and easy to drink for the style. Many IPA's I have had are almost a meal in themselves, but not this one. Very refreshing and drinkable.

Overall- As I said earlier, it's my favorite IPA. Very easy to drink, perfectly balanced, and very tasty. I definitely recommend and I will definitely buy again.

3.22/5  rDev -25.5%

Bottle 8/10 poured into a sniffer on 9/4

Look: Appears a golden-orange color. Lots of very large soapy bubbles with small bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass
Smell: Aroma is honey and malt with some citrus elements. It also has a “dirty” water smell to it which I haven’t experienced before with a beer.
Taste: Taste is malt flavor followed pine and sap notes. Bitterness rolls during the middle and leaves the mouth dry. Maybe it is the age of the bottle but the taste disappointing giving the “prestige” around this beer
Feel: Crisp. The malt gives it a nice feel in the middle of the mouth
Overall it definitely has the balance I expect from RR but this was way too muted in flavor for my taste. Maybe I need to drink it fresher but given this experience I wouldn’t purchase it again if given other choices.

look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

In my thoughts this is by far the best of the Russian River's popular beers. Pliney is good, but Blind Pig knocks it out the park. Smooth and tasteful. Check out our review on the Two Guys Drinking Beer podcast.

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Ok.. Russian does outstanding beers period, but this one did not live up to the hype.. Plenty of bitterness and quite hoppy made it a little unbalanced for me, still an exceptional beer which I'll try any day of the week..good IPA RR!

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company