Already subscribe? to manage your subscription.

Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Blind Pig IPABlind Pig IPA

Wants: 1,782
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,355 | Hads: 5,240
4.49/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Drunk at Monk's Cafe in Philadelphia, PA.

I tasted the Blind Pig side-by-side with Port Brewing's Wipe Out.

The BP was great, needed more malt backbone IMO, but wow. The PWO was maltier but not as citrusy, more bitterness, though. I preferred the PWO, my g/f the PB. The PWO was really, really süffig, for the pint glass was empty within minutes though I was trying to appreciate its complexity. (398 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This was a very great beer. Was recommended from a worker at Total Wine. Supposedly very rare. I was definitely pleased with my purchase and would buy it again. I prefer Pliny the Elder, but definitely a good choice nonetheless. Definitely recommend you try it if you ever get the chance. (288 characters)

4.23/5  rDev -1.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Bottled 5/20/13

A: Semi Hazy pale orange body. Off white fizzy head that clings to the glass fully as the head slowly subsides.

S: Piney and grassy upfront. Lots of citrus. Faint bready malt.

T: Fantastically balanced. Sweet citrus and resinous pine and bitterness round out the finish. A bit of hay and biscuit malt.

M: Crisp and smooth. Oily. Medium body. Medium carbonation.

O: Less "in-your-face" than Pliny, but just as balanced. A simple IPA, yet still bursting with flavors. Grateful to get to try. (510 characters)

4.64/5  rDev +7.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

This is a great IPA, it's no Pliny but it is still part of the family to me.
This beer is always a pleasure to find and I wouldn't fail to grab it if an oppurtunity presented itself.
Blind pig provides a strong taste with a smooth finish. Very hoppy! The taste lingers in your mouth leaving you thirsty for more. If you enjoy a solid IPA definitly give blind pig a go. (369 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Appearance: Poured into tulip, pours bright orange/amber with a 2 inch white head, very clear
Smell: Hints of honey, hops, piney and citrus
Taste: Sweet with not an overpowering of hops, subtle hints of honey and fruit.
Mouthfeel: Very light and thin, easy to drink.
Overall- Not a explosion of hops but they are there. The fact that this beer is so easy to drink is attributed to the sweet notes coming through the bitter. I prefer this over Pliny the Elder.

Serving type: bottle (482 characters)

4.41/5  rDev +2.3%
look: 4 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A: into a pint, solid gold beer, ivory head as big as you want it; messy head clings to sides of the glass, smearing foamy lace down the side

S: brilliant hop bouquet, suggesting grassy fields with flowers and toasted, crusty herbs - citric pith pops out atop the subtle malt aromas

T: juicy and ripe - more fruit than I expected, along with the continuation of the hop action on the nose - citrusy notes assert themselves throughout, and the subtly sweet malts underscore a fantastic beer

M: medium-light body, crisp and moderately carbonated, mellow slickness, bittering, but still wet, finish

O: this is exactly what I'd hoped for - Pliny's little cousin - a wet and juicy, hoppy, but not overpowering, and well-balanced beer.

Bottled 5/2/13 (749 characters)

4.49/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Even though this beer was over 1 month old, I thought it tasted fantastic. I am a huge fan of the West Coast-style IPA and this delivered and represented it to the letter. BIG hop cones notes coupled with a bright citrus bouquet make up the girth of this aromatic powerhouse. it was the flavor that I could sense the age. It just didn't have the the same intensity as the nose, but still was absolutely delicious with great drinkability.

So far, better than Pliny in my honest opinion...and both were over a month old. (520 characters)

4.78/5  rDev +10.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Clear orange beer. Nice one finger head. Great retention. Great lacing.

A really nice American hop aroma with a balance of sweet, slightly spicy malt.

The flavor is to die for! Fantastic hop flavor. Citrus, floral, resiny, maybe a little pine. Adequate bitterness. A perfect malt balance. Awesome.

Medium bodied, smooth mouthfeel. Perfect carbonation. Long lasting dry finish.

This IPA is out of this world. Right up there with Pliny. Very west coast American. Definitely drink it fresh. (491 characters)

4.79/5  rDev +11.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Got in a trade for some HT. First time having, was blown away to say the least.

A - Light golden straw, similar to Pliny in that regard. Small head and crystal clear pour.

S - Sweet malts, light hops, citrus scents of grapefruit and others. Full bodied scent for sure.

T - Starts with sweet malts, very light hoppyness. Great balance, its amazing really. Bitterness comes at very end, yet still ends with the smooth sweetness.

M - Light to med. body. Smooth across the palate, smooth carbonation as well.

O - Great beer, so smooth, I probably said "smooth" 10 times in this review, but really thats what screams at me. It is crazy drinkable - simply great beer. (666 characters)

4.36/5  rDev +1.2%

On tap into a pint glass.

A-My pour had a thin, white head of less than one finger. The head, while thin, manages to hang around for a while and left nice lacing on the glass. The brew was a touch cloudy and orange-hued golden in color.

S-The smell is a nice, sharp mixture of spicy citrus flavors and oily, earthy, herbal hop notes. The scent is impressively hoppy and strong for a 6.1% brew, but it retains a nice pale malt base and never devolves into overwhelming bitterness.

T-The taste, like the smell, is impressively strong. The sharp, mildly chalky notes continue, as does the oily dankness and spicy citrus. Nice balance from the malts, which are pale and just a touch doughy.

M-The feel is medium body with a decent bit of carbonation. I felt a little of the hop oiliness on the palate. Finish is drying.

O-This is a great IPA. It is powerful in smell and flavor, especially for 6.1%, and it has a sharpness, rather than out-and-out bitterness, that I really enjoy. The balance is there and the flavors are well-layered and decently complex. (1,057 characters)

4.83/5  rDev +12.1%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 5

Russian River Brewing Company - Blind Pig IPA

Got this from a trade with a friend, had already had Pliny but wanted this as well, in fact I am always looking to try stuff from Russian River because they are a phenomenal brewery!

Look - Pours a clear filtered (I call it West Coast Style now, little joke) copper amber with a small fizzy head that dissipates quickly. Abundant sticky lacing. Great looking brew.

Smell - Some sweet, almost a deep amber-type caramel malt with a smooth pine/resin and slight citrus hop overlay. Mouth-watering.

Taste - Smooth snappy crisp malt with fresh but sweeter and chewier hops than is typically seen, quite unique! Both the hops and malts are slightly bready.

Mouthfeel - Insanely smooth, not at all boozy. Not overly sticky but also not overly dry, right in the middle, phenomenal! Perfect blend and carbonation.

Overall - This is a gem, I thought this was amazing, smooth, and just sweet enough and it was a great representation of this style. This is the perfect example of what I love about these West Coast brews and Russian River in general. (1,090 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -7.7%
look: 4.25 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4

Thanks Reja, bottled 5/2/13 (about 3 wks old)

The beer pours a rich looking golden yellow with great effervescence fueling a dense white head that laces and remains as a thin blanketing throughout drinking. The nose presents potent notes of caramelized sugars, malt, fresh citrusy hops and subtle grapefruit. It's definitely more reserved than I'd expected; more aromatic hops would have elevated it to my expectations, without significantly altering its status as an AIPA. I think it drinks very well, distinctly malty with fresh hops lingering on the palate. It's drinkability and mouthfeel are really where this beer excels (in my opinion) presenting a rich, clean malty sweetness, layered citrus hops, and a mild, lingering bitterness that coats the palate. No grapefruit rind aftertaste, good effervescence, and a touch of caramel. Great beer that I'd soon consume again if bottles were available my way. (910 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A- poured bottle into tulip. pours bright orange, clear, two finger white head
S-sweet piney hops, breads, pineapple, honey
T- starts slow, very sweet tropical fruits, pine, melon,again some honey, hint of bubblegum
M- thin, very easy to put back
O- not overly hoppy, tons of sweet tropical fruits, this beer is very refreshing and drinkable. Almost not Malt character, but not a hop bomb. I'm really glad I finally got to try this. This reminds me a lot of zombie only much fruitier. (484 characters)

4.38/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

510ml bottle dated 5/2/2013 poured into a Bell's snifter and quaffed today 5/22/2013. I've also had this beer 3x in the past, but 2x I made the mistake of drinking a couple Plinys beforehand so I couldn't really do a fair review. So now this is the first time I can sit down and write a fair review of Vinnie's first big hit.

Aroma: When I popped the bottle, I got a faceful of citrus and some pine. In the glass, I have tons of sweet honey and biscuits accompanied by a subdued citrus scent, with no hints of pine or earth. The malt backbone of this beer really shows in the nose which is definitely a forceful one. (4)

Colour: A thing of beauty. Pours a clear golden copper, like a shiny penny but on the lighter side. Comes with a big 3cm head, definitely well-carbonated and fluffy. Dissipates over 5 minutes or so into a thin film with a thick collar on the sides. The lacing is sporadic and falls into the glass quickly. (4.5)

Flavour: Robust honey, biscuits and caramel throughout, accentuated by a nice but not overwhelming grapefruity flavour throughout, with a nice, clean and bitter pine finish. The malty sweetness really represents this beer here, and it does it well. It seems to be a Russian River theme- make their beers taste very hoppy but not overwhelmingly bitter or over the top & covering up the malt backbone. (4.5)

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied IPA with excellent carbonation. Resinous but not overly clingy in terms of sticking to the palate. Has a good bitter aftertaste but is not an overwhelming bitterbomb. The interesting thing about the aftertaste is that it lingers for a long time- if I move my tongue around a bit to spread the love some more, it's like the aftertaste is echo'ing in my mouth- extending the experience even more. It's really cool. I don't feel any booziness here even as this beer warms up.. such a smooth drinking beer that disappeared all too quickly. (4.5)

Overall: Pliny's big brother (being that this is Vinnie's original IPA) does not disappoint. It's a nice sweet but not cloyingly sweet IPA that is very hoppy yet is not overwhelmingly bitter- it all comes together very well to make for an interesting, easy drinking experience that is truly refreshing- it doesn't feel watered down at all. It just exchanges excess, unnecessary (IMO) bitterness for more hop flavour (not that much different than Pliny vs super bitter DIPAs) and apparently that's what I prefer on any given day. (4.5) (2,445 characters)

4.21/5  rDev -2.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

16 ounce bottle into a pint glass. brought it back form the brewery after my trip to north cali.
i flew with it, so i'm thinking that's why there was so much head. not overly carbonated, very mellow taste, nothing really overwhelms.
what can i say that hasn't been said? certainly not a game changer in my book, but a very good ipa.
a couple of people i talked to in frisco said they prefer this to pliny...yea, i don't really see that. (436 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +6.7%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Same as everybody else: bottled 5/02/2013

Poured into a cold large glass Just big enough to hold the entire 17.25 oz after a little sip.

Seductive honey color with a thumb-width cream-colored head which dissolved into a thin line with light delicate lacing.

I got a good hops whiff when I opened the bottle but after the pour the smell was pretty weak. Later, as the beer warmed a little, I got good honey and malt smells, but somewhat light on the citrus or pine.

Great flavor! Loads of hops but surprisingly light on the bitterness. It's there, just not the massive IBUs of some. Now... I LIKE high IBUs and might normally downgrade an IPA for being too light, but this beer pulls it all together. This is the taste I want.

Mouthfeel? I call it after-taste. After the swallow you get the resiny hops clinging to the tongue and supplying plenty of recycled flavor. I sort of pump my tongue to cycle this past my nose. I dare say this is my favorite part of any big-hops beer. Now I sort of like Palate Wrecker better for this -- not for quality, but for shear quantity and durability of the aftertaste. For aftertaste quality, this Blind Pig is as good as it gets, in my opinion.

Overall: YES. What else can I say? (1,226 characters)

4.89/5  rDev +13.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.75

17.25 oz. bottle purchased at Ales Unlimited (gotta ask for it!) in San Francisco, CA, bottled on 5/2/13, poured into a hotel style glass and drank over ~30 minutes.

A: 4.75 - straw yellow coloration, hop haze (couldn't read through), white half-finger head subdues into subtle glass lacing, moderate alcohol legs for a 6+% beer

S: 5 - BOOM! lots and lots of grapefruit, pine, resiny dank aromas just pouring out of the bottle on opening the glass; as it warms, you definitely pick up more of the bready/biscuity qualities of the malt; really nicely-balanced aroma here!

T: 5 - based on the aroma, I was anticipating a slap of bitterness, which I don't usually enjoy, but I didn't get this at all! There is a slight bitterness on the anterior tongue but in the middle of the mouth, hop flavors predominate...pine, resin, tangerine and lots and lots of grapefruit again on the back of the tongue/aftertaste; little malt presence for me and super-dry

M: 4.5 - moderate bodied; high (and impressive) carbonation just pouring off the bottom of the glass in tight little bubbles and pushing the hop aroma right into your face; the only flaw here, I think, was the alcohol was a little too present in the taste for my liking and the relatively low content

O: 4.75 - definitely an exemplar of a West Coast IPA; lots of dank, citrus flavor and aroma, superdry; I'd put this up there with Ballast Point Sculpin, Green Flash IPA, Stone IPA and others as the best examples in class; cheers! (1,484 characters)

4.17/5  rDev -3.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled on 05/02/13.

Bottle reads 6.25% abv.

A: Pours a pleasant clear golden color with 2 fingers of off-white bubbly head. Quickly dissipates to 1/2 finger of head and then to a film. Lacing is strong in places and nonexistent in others... inconsistent but nice.

S: Smells strongly of hops, primarily citrus character with a little malt sweetness

T: After the nice smell, I was hoping the hop flavors would step up and "wow" me when I finally took a sip, but I was a little disappointed. The flavor is nice, but not terribly strong, with citrus and pine dominating, but malt being present. It finishes with a bitterness and a flavor that is a little earthy or even grassy. Certainly not bad (and definitely well above average) but I am a little let down. After going through most of a pint and allowing it to warm a bit, the hop flavors have stepped up as expected and have actually made this quite good for an IPA. Enjoyable and highly drinkable.

M: Very pleasant. Not overwhelming, nicely carbonated, and very drinkable/refreshing. With how fast I'm tearing through this bottle, I'm surprised at just how drinkable this beer is.

O: Very glad I finally tried this. It won't become a staple beer for me, but I'm definitely not sad to have some of these on-hand. A very solid IPA. (1,287 characters)

4.46/5  rDev +3.5%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Big thanks to leschkie for this one...

A: Pours a nice translucent yellow/orange gold with one full finger of pure white head. The foam takes a bit to settle and there is only a bit of lacing as it drinks.

S: The nose is pine and orange citrus. It smells wonderfully hoppy without overdoing it. I get a little bit of malty sweetness but only in the background.

T: It starts off wet and flavorful. Light sweetness with drying pine hops up front. Sweeter in the middle ad the orange citrus notes begin to shine. The back end is a touch vegetal. Hoppy and a touch dry. Nice.

M: Medium bodied beer. It's light and refreshing to start. The beer hits the palate bright but soft. The flavors swirl in the middle and there is a hoppy bite to dry it out in the finish.

O: Very nice. This is something that I would love to drink as often as possible. Too bad Russian River is a few thousand miles away. (897 characters)

4.77/5  rDev +10.7%
look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Pours a golden honey color, filtered and clear as a bell with a generous two finger soapy white head, lively carbonation,solid lacing.

The nose is subdued when making the inevitable comparison to Pliny, which has more going on with the seductive phenols and tropical infusion. There are floral hints in there along with some light clementine, and a piney presence of hop goodness in the spotlight.

Taste is an altogether different game: Blind Pig offers a splendid blast of clementine juiciness, some candy like malt sweetness,and a distinct pungent hop kick. Medium to full bodied, mothfeel is sticky & chewy hops,oily and flavorful. Smooth easy drinking with no alcohol detected.

Russian River knows how to make great liquids, and Blind Pig is a fine example. Get a bunch of these if you can get your hands on them, highly recommended. (840 characters)

4.75/5  rDev +10.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

very nice orange-honey color, nice white topping.
subtle grass, pine and grapefruit aroma. not overpowering like other ipas.... some fruit juice in there too!
taste is very subdued. i expected a stronger flavor but this is very nice, very smooth, very easy to drink. the bitterness isnt strong although it is left on the tongue after the nectar is down in the gulch.
not as 'refined' as pliny, but dang they got a good thing going with these brews. and after having others from russian river i am very impressed. might have to pack my bags and move up north.... (561 characters)

4.82/5  rDev +11.8%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 5 | overall: 4.75

Blind Pig IPA pours a beautiful golden color with a rapidly receding quarter inch foam head. The bottle I am reviewing is fresh and purchased at the brewery.

The appearance is nearly perfect for a hot summer Florida day. Golden, clear, and appetizing. The quarter inch foam head disappeared quickly. My tulip shaped beer glass compliments it perfectly.

The smell is dynamite and full of hints of citrus and pine. It is a very hoppy beer and I detect a little lemon as well.

The taste is right up my alley... very bitter early on and persists until the next swig. The crispness is terrific. The bitterness then lingers on the back of the tongue like a good memory.

The mouthfeel is thin and consists of moderate carbonation and mild alcoholic notes.

Overall I love this beer. If you likey hoppy crisp beers then this is one to try. (837 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +4.9%

10oz. pour into a Duvel Tulip at Hawthorne's Cafe in Philadelphia.

A: Translucent amber body with no tones. Thick, white, frothy head that lingers and produces tons of spotty lacing.

S: A perfectly build, slightly citrusy IPA.

T: Grapefruit dryness jumps out heavily as undertones of Lemon back it up.

M: A slight dryness and relaxing level of carbonation in the forefront with nothing overdone and an easy tingle from hop resins.

OVERALL: Blind Pig is a beautiful IPA. It's easy on the stomach, has great head, and is very juicy, but not overbearing. This is what IPA's were like before the "Hop Bomb" era. Thin, balanced, and drinkable with a perfect amount of citrus spiceness and all of the tonal flavors you'd expect from a West Coast IPA and the IPA style in general. Very 2007-2010. (794 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.25 | overall: 4.25

Bottled on 4/3/13

Appearance: Amber, with modest carbonation and a small white head that quickly fades away.

Smell: Piney hops, bready malt sweetness, mango, pineapple, peaches.

Taste: A seamless blend of juicy hop bitterness balanced perfectly by sweet malt. To me, this is like the East Coast Pliny. The hops are strong up front but then move back enough to let the malt let itself be known. Next, as the malt fades the hops wash back over and take over the end of the drink, with a dry, bitter finish that fades out gently. Matches up with the nose nicely.

Mouthfeel: Carbonation is modest, and a bit lacking; probably my only gripe with this beer.

Overall: A good, balanced IPA. Other than the carbonation being weak, there's not much to dislike here. (761 characters)

4.31/5  rDev 0%
look: 4 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

13 day old bottle.

A: Clear light copper with off-white head. Retention is good and has some lacing.

S: Mango, pineapple, sweet malts, and some tangerine. Some peach and flowery hops. A Bit of pine on the back end. Very good and tropical.

T: Not as big as the smell would lead you to believe. Tangerine and pine. Slightly sweet and grainy in the middle. Peach, grapefruit, and pine aftertaste.

M: Medium bodied and medium-low carbonation. Could use more dryness.

O: Very good single IPA that's well balanced. (513 characters)

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company