Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Blind Pig IPABlind Pig IPA

Wants: 1,504
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blind Pig IPA Alström Bros

We pop the top and pour an orangey-copper colored brew. It holds a brief one finger head of electrically active bubbles. This recedes quickly to form a film across the top of the liquid, and to leave spotty lacing around the glass. The beer holds a thin haze, with no sediment otherwise noted. Carbonation appears active. The nose meets with sweet and bitter grapefruit up front. This gives off vibes of being extraordinarily fresh and cooling. To cut this there is bittering rind and a clementine sweetness. With warmth a metallic yeast begins to seep out, and a bit of the alcohol becomes present. The malts throughout are standard and pale. As we sip we find, as in the nose, a sweet and bitter citric hop. This rides for the front of the tongue with grain, which seems to be there for only the balance, rather than as a powerhouse inclusive flavor. Bitterness takes over through the middle, but this quickly becomes more mild, with a simple malt to smooth things over. This makes way for the finish where, curiously, the sweetness returns. Now it is in the form of fresh, fruity orange. Again, clean malt helps the balance. The aftertaste breathes of fusel alcohols, bittering hops, and an earthy/mineral quality of grain and yeast. The body is medium, bordering on thin, while the carbonation is evenly medium. The mouth is treated to slick hop oils providing a basic astringency. There is decent slurp and smack to each sip. This abv is appropriate and the beer drinks easily.

Overall, what we found most enjoyable about this brew was the strong citric quality to the hops, and the robust nose about it. This beer showcased as a simplistic IPA with a full and bright nose, getting its point across with the fewest number of words. In the end, the flavor didn’t quite live up to the stage set by the aromas, but it is ultimately a great choice for the style.

TheBrewo, Sep 10, 2011
4.93/5  rDev +13.1%

Poured into a Duvel tulip glass, bottle on date 8-4-2011. Thanks to rmaste6282 for sending me this one.

Appearance: Clear golden-copper with an off white head two fingers thick that slowly fades into a thin lacing and clings to the side of the glass.

Aroma: Very impressed with this aroma! Tropical fruits, grapefruit, citrus, pine, everything that is good about a double IPA, but is found in this IPA.

Taste: I think this is what impressed me the most. IPAs in general I found to be some what one dimensional when it comes to flavor. Blind Pig offers incredible depth of flavor. Grapefruit, tropical fruit, pine, citrus, exactly like the aroma.

Mouthfeel: Dry lingering finish with medium carbonation and medium body.

Overall: This is easily my favorite IPA, I could see myself drinking these all the time. If only I could get them on a regular bases.

jamescain, Sep 06, 2011
4.4/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Bottle picked up at Bristol farms in Palm Desert, just felt like I should give this beer I've had so many times before a tick. My first time having it out of a bottle, hope it still delivers.

Poured into a Stone Nonic. bottled 8/23/11

A: A clear persimmon yellow/orange with lots of sunshine yellows increasing the clarity of the glass. Nice sticky cobweb foams form from the uneven bubbly head. The head retention is quite solid, and some gossamer sticky lacing up and down the glass. You can tell just by looking at it that it's a good beer.

S: Soft smells suggestive of lemon/lime rind, some grapefruit spritzing gives a prickle to the nose. A grittiness to the nose that I can't quite pick out, it's like a mineral water effervescence. Some really crunchy thick flax granola that gives the nose a real heartiness. This smells of emulsion -- the ingredients really mesh.

T: Lots of mellowed down fruit rinds. Slightly bitter peaches with old orange rinds that have lost their zest. Dusty limes in the middle that helps transition into that grainy crunch. Light orange pulp in honey that follows the cereals. Really subtle transitions that just seems to highlight different aspects of the flavor, I am left with a pleasant syrup-free waffle and fresh lightly peppery arugula. A buttery hop linger, just yum.

M: A warm fuzzy blanket of a mouth that just seems to get better as you drink. Once you get this beer coating your mouth you're ready for bed, it just relaxes you with soothing tides in each sip. Glasses disappear due to completely invisible alcohol and a crisp finish. The flavors slowly disappear with an equally paced mouth feel. Slowly melting butter in the mouth, with a pace that follows that of melting ice cubes. A slow release of reduced flavors and feels that fades out like the end of that song you like.

O: I always remember Blind Pig being a good IPA, but perhaps it never got the attention it deserves from me due to it's elder. This really is just a fantastic American IPA, and I could totally see myself grabbing this as a session starter. This does minimal damage to the palate, and you still get to enjoy all the joys of a fantastic IPA. If you want all the flavor of a great beer, and still be able to taste later offerings, then grab a Blind Pig. However, it doesn't quite have the punch that others achieve in style. That said, this has that trademark Russian River balance that so many of us applaud.

Cavery, Sep 05, 2011
4.22/5  rDev -3.2%

poured from bottle into RR tulip. This was bottled 18 days before consumption. Pours a pale golden yellow with ever present lacing and a 1/4 inch head. The smell of hops is the first thing that hit me. A very enjoyable beer. The taste of piney hops with just a titch of malt sweetness. A little dry, but very enjoyable. I will continue to search out this beer and will trade for it often.

biglobo8971, Sep 04, 2011
3.6/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a lovely golden orange color. A small white head laces the top and is nice and frothy.

S: There is a nice floral smell with some pine. After a second or two, some citrus and grapefruit break through.

T and M: The bitterness hits you first. However, a nice piney flavor comes through along with some floral hops that give it a delcious balance of flavor. Good carbonation throughout makes it enjoyable.

O: This is a good IPA but not outstanding. I was expecting more from the hype that surrounds it. Maybe that is the problem though. I had too high of expectations. But it is worth giving a try and I definitely wouldn't turn it down.

Msquared2, Sep 04, 2011
4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

500 ml bottle sent to me by smarcoly, thanks again for another tasty beer. Split with a friend and poured into two tulip glasses.

A: Clear golden orange body with a thick sudsy white head. Thin, tight retention cap with some larger bubbles around the edges. Minimal lace is present but still is nice and sticky.

S: Bright orange peel and juicy orange flesh. A touch of white grapefruit, papaya and some acidic lemon zest. It's certainly citrus forward however it's not too aromatic in the way of hitting you with the flavors in a bold fashion. This seems a bit more reserved compared to other "West Coast" IPAs.

T: Bitter citrus and floral hops coat the palate initially, followed quickly with a rush of citrus fruits. Bitter orange peel, sweet grapefruit and a touch of lemon rind towards the end. A very minimal malt base is hidden underneath the bright citrus flavors however it does help take the bitter edge off the beer.

M: Very creamy with low carbonation throughout the beer. It finishes quite dry however it's welcomed and leaves a residual stickiness on the palate. A signature body from Russian River, and perhaps even West Coast IPAs in general. Simply wonderful.

Certainly not my favorite IPA that RR makes however it's still a very flavorful and balanced one at that. Bright, clean, bitter and balanced, this is yet another beer that reminds me exactly why I love the style so much.

ShanePB, Sep 04, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -5.3%

Thanks again to N. Ketchum for the opportunity to drink another tasty brew.

Poured out of a 16.9 oz (500 ml) bottle into a tulip style pint glass.
Freshness date is 8/4/11.

A) A clean looking orange with a good two inches of foamy white head, with nice retention and ample lacing.

S) This is quite fragrant, strong grapefruit presence, nice floral aromatics, light pine scent.

T) A good balance of malt and hops,creates a nice tangy brew. There is a pleasant citrus flavor, that melts into earthy tones. The finish has some bitterness, and is slightly dry.

M) A medium bodied brew, that is somewhat lightly carbonated. It feels a bit slick on the palate. There is some persistence to the finish, but not in an unpleasant way.

O) Drank my first bottle of this last weekend, after enjoying my first bottle of Pliny. I'm glad I had another bottle of Blind Pig, and that I held off on the review. I would have tried my best not to compare the two, but it may have been inevitable. In the end, Blind Pig is a damn fine IPA, and should be recognized as such.

RoamingGnome, Sep 03, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Bottled on 8/23/11.

P: Pours a slightly murky golden body that shines in the light. Pours out a giant, slightly off white head. Frothy and thick, with big bubbles clinging to the glass.

A: Big and juicy grapefruit and pine hops. Some brown sugar and tossed malts. Tropical fruit dances in the back ground.

T: Giant bitterness right away, with flavors of pine and earth with a little bit of spice. Middle has the toasted malts battling back, with biscuit and caramel flavors. The bitterness comes on again on the finish, with some grapefruit and floral hops. Good carbonation and almost bone dry on the finish.

I've had this a bunch of times on tap, but this is the first time I've enjoyed it out of the bottle. It's just as great. Fuels the on going battle of who is better: Pig or Pliny?

litheum94, Sep 03, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

Jumping into my second Russian River offering this week and I have to say I'm slightly impressed...okay, maybe a touch more than slightly. This pours rich with a beautiful white head that fills me with hope. It fades fast though, as does the nose, although I've been accused of having a busted sniffer so take that with a grain.

Good body, superb flavor with a fast finish that leaves me wanting more. Also leaves me overjoyed that my neighborhood corner store stocks such fine product. Next time I start making noise about moving out of San Francisco could somebody please remind me of that? Thanks.

crowsoup, Sep 02, 2011
4.1/5  rDev -6%

Bottled on 8/4/11 poured into a SA perfect pint glass

Poured a gorgeous copper honey color with a large 3 finger bone white head that would make any other IPA jealous. Best lacing and retention I think I've seen.

The smell is almost like someone dashed salt on a pile of very ripe grapefruit and pine resin. Oh, and then maybe poured some soap on top. Not an overpowering scent, but very steady.

Taste is all piney hops and bitter. Just the way a good IPA should be. Not blown out of the water, but very impressed with my first ever offering from Russian River.

The mouthfeel is the second best part of this beer for me, next to the appearance. The carbonation is perfect, and the hops tingle on my tongue long after the sip is gone. Very dry and clean toward the end.

Overall this is a fantastic IPA. I would drink this all the time if it were readily available in PA. I received this and a PtE in my trade box and figured that I should try this one first as not to be disappointed after the Pliny. This beer was good enough to hold it's own against almost anything.

haywire77, Sep 01, 2011

A- dark golden orange with thin head. Not quite the carbonation I expected to see
S- bold citrus rind aroma. Slight soapy smell.
T- pretty nice hop profile but doesn't match PTE profile. Grapefruit and orange bite.
M- Very light ...a little under carbonated.
O- This is a good but not great IPA.

cbwufpack, Aug 31, 2011
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Bottled on 8/23/11, drank on 8/29/11. Bought cold with no hotel fridge, so best to crack it fresh.

A - Golden, orange hue with a nice frothy white head that quickly disapates after my first sip. Probably the dirty hotel glass.

S - Smells of freshly cut grass, herbs, garlic greens, fruity esters. Intriguing mix of scents that make you wonder, but draw you in.

T - Tropical fruit mixed with that herbal, medicinal, garlic induced kiss again - and you kind of can't decide if you like it, but you keep going back for more. Biscuity malt playing second fiddle.

M - The bitterness is there, but it's smooth, soft on the palate and pleasantly carbonated. Welcomed bitterness glides easily across the tongue.

D - A fantastic, tasty IPA, no doubt about it. I'm noticing a trend of the garlic-kiss in many uber-popular IPAs I've been able to try only recently (e.g. Devil Dancer, Gubna, Pliny The Elder, Ruination...).

Mess, Aug 30, 2011
4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

Bottled 08/01/11

A- Two inches of frothy white head. Beer color is golden with a an orange hue. A few effervescence streams float slowly upwards. Clumpy, scattered lacing. A+ head retention.

S- Citrus immediately...think grapefruit and oranges.

T- Yum. Overpowering citrus, with a hint of that danky onion-character that shows up in certain IPAs. Nice sweet malt backbone but the hops overpower if just by a bit. Would guess at a higher ABV.

M- Well carbonated with tongue-stinging bubbles. Medium mouthfeel.

D/O- I thought long and hard about it and came to the conclusion that this beer has no weak spots...maybe even could have given the 'appearance' a perfect '5' rating. Well deserving of the status it carries in the beer world. I found this to be slightly more enjoyable than Pliny The Elder...I know, blasphemy. Thanks stupac2!

Duff27, Aug 30, 2011
4.13/5  rDev -5.3%

A: Crystal clear golden yellow with a slight coppery hue. Nice white creamy head that dwindles slowly leaving a pretty good blanket on the surface. This is probably right around 6-7 SRM. 4.5

S: Trademark Russian River IPA nose. Lots of hoppy pine aroma, minimal citrus. I think I could pick RR IPAs blind out of a lineup by now. 4

T&M: Taste is a piney, earthy bitterness, but not overwhelmingly so. Slight lemony zest on the back-end. There’s an adequate malt bill in this, but it’s definitely unbalanced, the way I like my IPAs! Nice and hoppy! It’s crisp, refreshing and resinous in aftertaste. This one definitely wants you to remember it! 4 / 4

O: While not as perfect as PtE or PtY, this is in it’s own right a little brother of both of these and is a great IPA. I got nothing else to say other than it’s not PtE/PtY. Must...drink...MOAR! 4.5

julian, Aug 29, 2011
3.48/5  rDev -20.2%

Shared with my brother and his gf. I'm not a big fan of single IPAs and strongly prefer the East Coast style (loooove Pliny though), so keep that in mind with this review.

Pours a light orange color with some white head and poor retention. No lace. Honestly, it looks boring and uninteresting.

The smell, on the other hand, is vibrant and full of flavor. Strong floral hops, fruity grapefruit, and more bitter hops bombard my nostrils. I've always loved the aroma from a good IPA, and this is no exception.

Holy hops, Batman! Strongly bitter start to finish as the extreme hoppiness overwhelms any hints of a malt backbone. Grapefruit and pine, as expected, but imbalanced is the name of the game here, folks. You crazy hop-heads probably love this one. Better than most other single IPAs, but it's still not for me.

Thin, weak body and not enough carbonation. I'll be generous and give a 3 for drinkability despite pouring most of my glass back into my brother's. If you like single IPAs, you will probably love Blind Pig.

brystmar, Aug 29, 2011
3.93/5  rDev -9.9%

Served in a pint glass.

A- Very light honey color. With huge white head and good lacing.

S- Light sweet malts and pine hops.

T- Again very light malt flavor with lots of pine hops in the middle and at the finish.

M- Thin bodied. Very easy drinking with moderate carbonation.

O- Good IPA. Not sure if it's A good, but still a solid ipa. Could definitely drink more of this. Thanks Duff27!

kawilliams81, Aug 27, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -4.1%

Crystal clear golden colour with a dense white head. Good head retention and great lacing.

Fresh, crisp, fruity hop aroma with some melon notes. Nice and floral.

Soft malt flavour with lots of crisp, delicious and bitter hops. Grapefruit.

Medium-light body with moderate carbonation. Fine.

A really good IPA with plenty of citrus and pine. Well balanced for a West Coast style IPA.

dgilks, Aug 24, 2011
4.03/5  rDev -7.6%

Served on-tap at the Khyber Pass Pub in Philadelphia.

A - Clear amber/copper color with a nice creamy white head. Decent retention with scattered streaks of lacing.

S - Aroma is of piney and floral hops with some spicy citrus.

T - Excellent flavor consisting of grapefruit, mango, and tangerine. Hops are dominate and up front, with a slightly bready malt taste in the back. Nice bitterness and lingering citrus taste in the finish.

M - Smooth, sticky, and refreshing.

D - Close to the quintessential IPA. Delicious citrus flavors with a huge hop bite. Great aftertaste and excellent drinkability. The alcohol is well masked. I wish I could find this in bottles, it could become one of my favorite IPAs.

mooseo, Aug 23, 2011
4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

Another RR classic, finally put to rating.

A: A golden hued orange look with a ring of white head and some lacing.

S: Very nice fresh bright grass/pine hop aroma with what seems like an almost dry rye malt platform. Some citrus in there as well with some subtle spicy notes.

T: A Nice IPA taste that has a nice fruity bready malt supporting lemon grass and dry citrus hop characters. Very nice overall, it's semi sweet and semi biting.

M: Nice sticky feel with a nice lingering bitterness and good carbonation, an overall even medium feel.

O: Overall a great easy drinking IPA.

Dreadnaught33, Aug 20, 2011
4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Tasted this at a beer festival at the Tustin Brewery in Tustin, CA. It was a fantastic festival and Blind Pig was tapped out very quickly. It possibly was my favorite beer that day. I prefer the milder IPAs and this hit the spot. Great color and effervescent head with just the right amount hops.

femmebiere, Aug 18, 2011

Poured from the bottle into a nonic pint glass. Excited about this one! Thanks to xhuskr for the trade. Bottled on August 4th 2011 we good to go!

A great crystal clear body colored dark gold almost orange but a distinct dark yellow. Very little slow rising carbonation from the bottom, with a head that forms tightly and antique off white. A very solid cap that stays together and clumps.

Classic grapefruit mushy ripe nose. Sweet. Solid not much else though.

Taste is hop pine at first with a good malt balance. Texture is ok if slightly wet, but finish follows a dry citrus hop. Lingering hop grapefruit bitter in aftertaste but doesn't bring the citrus felt on the nose. Sort of mild toast bread then grapefruit later, but also a roof top drying sense in the palate also.

Overall a solid but straightforward IPA I think, not that blown away by this however. Good beer no complaints but feels like a one trick pony. But I will get on this ride anytime.

smakawhat, Aug 18, 2011
4.18/5  rDev -4.1%

500ml Bottle - thanks to zacs for this one

Appearance - Mostly clear amber/copper colour with an average size fizzy white coloured head. There is a high amount of carbonation showing (large bubbles) and there is some good lacing. The head lasted for around 4 minutes before it was gone.

Smell - Malts, caramel, hops, oranges, grapefruit (juice and zest)

Taste & Mouth - There is an average amount of carbonation and I can taste malts, caramel and a decent amount of hops. There is also lots of citrus going on; oranges and grapefruits both the juice and the zest. The beer finishes with a citrus and hop aftertaste that lingers on the tongue.

Overall - Definitely my kind of IPA. Lots of citrus and a nice clean and refreshing taste. It is along the lines of one of my favourites: Bells Two Hearted - but with a touch less sweetness. It has a fantastic balance and its very drinkable. If only I could get this stuff all the time.

spinrsx, Aug 17, 2011
3.98/5  rDev -8.7%

Found in at Clems bottle house in a 500ml bottled just 10 days after the bottling date, how is the for fresh AB. Poured into a tulip glass since no pints available. Poured with minimal off white head that did not stick around and had little to no lacing during drinking. Smell provided great floral herby notes right from the outset that struck around nicely. The taste was another solid ipa from Russian River, not over powering but a great hop character with good malt balance. Think I may like this as much as some of my favorite west coast brews for a warm summer day. Mouthfeel was full but not viscus with a clean finish.

jnezda, Aug 14, 2011
3.88/5  rDev -11%

Poured from 500ml bottle into pint glass. Tasted side-by-side w/ PtE.
Bottled on 7/18/11.

Aroma: Light herbal, grassy hops. Aromatic hops accompanied by graham cracker, hay, and honey sweetness. Aroma is much more restrained than expected.

Appearance: Golden body w/ a very sligt hint of orange. Very slight chill haze. White head disappears somewhat quickly. Minimal lacing.

Flavor: Dank "hemp", herbal, medicinal hop flavor. Just enough sweetness present, but which eases into a strong, lingering bitterness at the finish.

Mouthfeel: Medium-low carbonation. Medium-light body. Some smooth creaminess, followed by slightly drying, tannins.

Overall: Definitely a tasty one. Came across as a bit on the light side (aroma & flavor), but that can be expected when drinking Blind Pig side-by-side w/ PtE. A pretty tasty IPA to enjoy earlier on in a session!

mdvatab, Aug 14, 2011
4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Had a pint at the Monk's Tavern in Philadelphia. Fantastic nose of bug, citrusy, piney hops. Some tropical fruit and caramel malt as well. Nice appearance. Off-white head with good lacing. Flavor is similarly hoppy and delicious. Medium bodied with a good amount of carbonation. Overall, a fantastic IPA and one I would certainly enjoy having again.

AaronHomoya, Aug 12, 2011