Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Blind Pig IPABlind Pig IPA

Wants: 1,396
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blind Pig IPA Alström Bros
GarrisWH

Colorado

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Re-reviewing this with a much fresher bottle than my previous review(bottle over 6 months old that time). Poured from a 500ml bottle dated 3/26/09 this time.

A -Pours a hazy orangish-golden color with a big frothy white head. Good retention and leaves nice, sticky lacing all the way down.

S -Has a nice, fresh hop aroma with hints of sweet citrus (orange and grapefruit) and some nice floral qualities. Very slight malty sweetness in the background.

T - Very nice hop flavors with mostly citrus qualities(grapefruit and orange again) and a bit of pine. A bit of floral hoppiness in the aftertaste as well. Balanced with a slight caramel maltiness. Very nice level of bitterness.

M - Medium bodied. Carbonation isn't overdone and is at a good level for this beer.

D - Very well-balanced on the hoppier side of things, which is how I like my IPAs. Would make a great session brew, wish I had another in fact.

Really glad I found a fresher bottle of this one, it was good at 6 months old, but GREAT in its fresher state. Easily one of the best IPAs I've gotten my hands on thus far.

06-05-2009 00:51:23 | More by GarrisWH
bmcclure

Oregon

4.1/5  rDev -6%

The color is a slightly hazy orange, the head was minimal in this pour. The aroma was that of a fresh orange with some slight sweet malt peaking through. The flavor was a little malt sweetness with some floral and citrus hops but not as strong orange as the aroma. A very well balanced IPA.

06-02-2009 18:00:28 | More by bmcclure
SPRichard

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

had on tap at Local 44 in West Philly

bold ipa with a slightly hazy orange/gold hue....smallish head that fades quick...patches of lace around the glass

citrus....grapefruit...some lemon/orange....lots of piney hops

i think they call this Blind Pig because you could close your eyes and know there were hops in this...a hop-heads heaven...very bitter...not much balance between the hops and malts but still very tasty

excellent carbonation with a medium body....somewhat of a thick IPA

drank 1 of these on an empty stomach but if i had some food in front of me this could easily be a 2 to 3 pint session beer....semi-low ABV along with the awesome hop presence makes this one to really savor

RR can do no wrong in my eyes, i'm glad i live in SEPA!!

06-02-2009 02:22:07 | More by SPRichard
AVDeuph

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

500 ml bottle, dated to 3-26-09. Received via trade thanks to ironlung.

A: The beer pours a VERY pretty and tasty-looking rich orange cream color. It is definitely a great color for an IPA and looks very appetizing. One-finger head, though I gave it a somewhat soft pour.

S: A thick and powerful American hop aroma.

T: Heavy on the grapefruit essences, semi-dry with a clean finish.

M: This is relatively heavy for a single IPA, and seems to be bridging the gap toward a DIPA. Well carbonated.

D: Goes does very easily, as it fits my requisites for drinkability: great taste, medium body and well carbonated, and no overwhelming alcohol (obviously).

A really good IPA, I'm glad I had the chance to try this one.

06-02-2009 01:38:01 | More by AVDeuph
wagenvolks

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks to Hopheadlouie for the trade! 500ml bottle into a dimpled Löwenbräu mug. (bottled 3.03.09)

Pours with a slight haze to the golden tea-colored body. A massive sandy head builds to three-finger's width before slowly settling to a thick cap. Good retention and lacing. As expected, the aroma is loaded with hops: floral, citrus, and resin. Nice backbone of caramel malts balances the greenery.

Flavor packs a larger hop profile than the aroma lets on, and gladly so, although the bitterness could stand to be a bit more in check at times. Raw, leafy hop cones cross the palate with some citrus & spice before a solid, caramel malt sweetness balances it all out. A slightly stale biscuit note mingles with some wood on the finish, possibly a side effect of the 3 month old bottle's "age". Still, the mouthfeel is one of the highlights. Russian River knows how to craft an IPA that finishes effortlessly clean and crisp, with just a hint of lingering bitterness. The medium-thin body is very refreshing and drinkable because of that. Overall, I found Blind Pig to be a good IPA, perhaps a bit overrated, but still very tasty.

06-01-2009 02:33:59 | More by wagenvolks
alovesupreme

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

A great yellow color with a fantastic sticky head and great lacing.
Smells mostly of pine and citrus with a malt character in the back.
West coast hops. Pine dominates with plenty of citrus character as well as subtle Cannabis notes. A malt presence makes an appearance but its the hops that star the show.
A full syrupy mouthfeel with excellent carbonation make for a great feeling beer.
I want more.

05-31-2009 17:28:50 | More by alovesupreme
Backer2004

4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

What a nice surpise to see two Russian River brews last night at our Charlotte Oktoberfest meeting. Pliny the Elder was the one I had my eyes on the whole time, but let me tell you . . . this one is just as good, if not even more drinkable. Nice piney hops that we just don't get on the east coast as much. Lots of flavor all the way, a must try.

05-29-2009 01:35:16 | More by Backer2004
jwinship83

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

blind pig
500ml bottle thanks to yesac in a trade. bottle says brewed on 03/03/09. since i dont have a mason jar to drink it from handy, it goes into my nonic.

A- this one pours a golden colored body with a small finger of bright white head. the head sticks around for a while before becoming a small crown and leaves a little bit of lacing on the sides of my glass.

S- hops, hops, and more hops. lots of cirtus. grapefruit mostly, but also a bit of orange. also some resiny, piny hops. no trace of malt, but i dont think they wanted to make a balanced IPA with this one.

T- once again, a pretty fierce hoppy assault. the grapefruit is strong in this one. the orange and pine are there too, but not as much as i thought i could smell. nice and bitter. unbalanced, but that can be a good thing.

M- medium to full bodied. crisp, clean, and very refreshing.

D- ugh, i with this one was on our shelves. its an excellent example of the west coast style IPA and something i could see myself bringing a cooler full of to a BBQ or somethign this summer. easy to finish the bottle, and i would have liked another one. check this one out if you get the chance.

05-28-2009 04:18:37 | More by jwinship83
deltatauhobbit

Maine

3.98/5  rDev -8.7%

Big thanks to mlaroche to bringing this over from California.

Bottled on 03/26/09

Pours a golden yellow color, slight hazy, perfect sized head with a great amount of lacing on the glass.

Smell is strong in the bitter department, piney with a hint of citrus.

Taste is exactly how the aroma led me to believe it would be, a strong bitter piney taste with some citrus but not enough to balance things out a bit.

05-28-2009 01:02:41 | More by deltatauhobbit
kimcgolf

Georgia

4.13/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Another great hoppy beer from Russian River. Though not quite as good as the two Pliny's this did not disappoint at all. Poured to a hazy golden orange, with a strong citrus grapefruit hop nose and taste, a tingly, bitter mouthfeel, and a crisp long finish.
Great job RR!!

05-26-2009 17:55:24 | More by kimcgolf
alcstradamus

Washington

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

UPDATE: I tried this beer again and I have to admit, I wasn't as blown away this time as I was before. It is a very good IPA, but really not nearly as special as I described and originally rated. My first score was a 4.85 and the original text is left untouched below.

A--Pours a very bubby clear amber with two full fingers of head. Spotty lacing is left behind on my pint glass.

S--Huge, wonderful citrus smell. Rivals any other single IPA nose I've had. All hail west coast IPA brewers!

T--OK, now this is something special. Upon first sip it feels as though it is going to be a wave of bitterness similar to the biggest DIPA's, but it never fully comes. Instead you are greeted by a juicy citric hop flavor that is out of this world. This is what I thought Sculpin was going to taste like. This is wonderful. Nice malt backbone to balance this out and make it smooth as silk. Piney aftertaste.

M--Medium bodied, washes down very clean. I wish there was a little more stickiness, but that is nitpicking. Very soft carbonation.

D--This is as drinkable as any IPA I have ever had. This has made me want to get another Pliny VERY SOON try it again because I had to have missed something if Russian River can make and IPA like this. Bravo, possibly (probably) my favorite single IPA.

05-26-2009 13:15:34 | More by alcstradamus
ryrust5301

Louisiana

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

Appearance - Perfection in a glass. I'm not gonna give anything less than a 5 here, cause it doesn't deserve anything less. Golden sun color with a faint orange tint. Head was a beautiful creamy froth of about a finger length. Lacing is nothing short of amazing either. Sides are completely caked with white beer batter. Eye candy in every way.

Smell - Piny biting hops with a soft mellow almost tangy citrus tone. Has a touch of lemon and pineapple mixed in for a tropical melon note. Still the slight twang keeps it from a 5.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Hoppy in a kick ass way, but a little too light and thin in the mouth to completely blow me away. A drizzle of honey on top of the citrus fruit gives it a fading sweetness. Pale malt is used to help with balance, but the bitterness is to overwhelming, as well it should be.

Drinkability - I think this one stands right up to pliny the elder, and in some ways is the equal if not better of the two. Vinnie doesn't expect anything but perfection from his beers, and this one doesn't fall short of those expectations.

05-26-2009 03:36:35 | More by ryrust5301
ShrLSU

Louisiana

4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

The appearence is a light cloudy orange with a slight white head receding into a thin halo around the edge. Foamy white lacing sticks to the edges. The nose is a mix of fruity and piney hops blended in nicely with a slight touch of maltiness. The taste is big citrus hops and bitter pine hops. This is far more bitter than i remember it being, almost to a chewy respect with the hops. Mouthfeel is overall pretty carbonated and oily from the hops. Drinkability is very high. I think I could down a couple more glasses of this.

05-26-2009 03:34:30 | More by ShrLSU
alleykatking

Indiana

4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

Got this in a trade with Mauerhan...thanks Topher!

Shared this bottle with an employee after closing up shop.

A- Poured into pint glass. Nice hazy golden yellow almost auburn color. Good pour left 1/2 inch off white head that once went down left a nice sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Big pineapple citrus hoppy nose to it. I can smell some malts buried deep into the smell. Little pine can be detected as well.

T- This beer has a nice big pine/citrus hop bite to it. The ending on this has a nice malt backbone which balances this beer out perfectly. Kind of a little sweet but still packs a bitter punch that stays after the sip.

M- Good mouthfeel. I would say medium at best. Leaves the oily hop resin on the tounge making you beg for more. Good carbonation to it. My only complaint is it has a little bit of a watery feel to it. Watery as in thinness not taste.

D- This is a damn good IPA and I hope that maybe one day RR will be in Indiana. Not going to ever happen I don't think making this beer one that I will have to keep trading for.

05-24-2009 02:24:20 | More by alleykatking
BitterPachyderm

Indiana

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

Mad thanks to fetus for sending me a much sought after brew!! Been waiting a year to get my hands on one of these fine swine beers!

Poured from a 500 bottle into my SN pint glass. It is starting to sound like I need some new glassware! It had a bottled on date of 072308? No clue what that meant, so would love to know when it was truly bottled, but on to the review...an aggressive pour gave me a three finger off-white head that was nice and sticky. Beautiful lacing that lasted throughout! He looked a bit cloudy which I found a bit surprising. Was a deep golden yellow, almost auburn.

Damn did this smell heavenly! A perfect boquet of citrus hops and a bit of spice. This is what smelling balanced is all about.

The taste floored me. There was a sweetness up front with a nice little citrus-hop kick of bitterness in the back. It's backed up solidly with a touch of malt. I am impressed!

The mouthfeel was smooth and creamy...almost perfect!

Drinkability-Hell Yeah! I could put down a couple of these in a sitting and be perfectly content.

Overall, the sweetness in the taste is so damn good! I think that I found an IPA that I can sink my pallet into. Send me more ASAP!!!

05-22-2009 21:42:35 | More by BitterPachyderm
bhalter8

Georgia

Hmmmm, unfortunately I am taking my first try of this well regarded brew from a bottle a little old for my taste. Pours a pure golden color, with a little bit of cloudy bits settling. The head is a nice two finger, overwhelming size, solid white. Nice lacing left after a few sips, this is a well built beer. Aroma has faded a bit, bit I pick up the piney, grassy hop aroma. The taste follows that piney/grassy hop profile, and has luckily held up well. Unfortunately, I there is not enough malt to balance it out, and if I am going to be overwhelmed by hops, I prefer the citrusy route. Very dry in your mouth, crisp, as well. A little less dry, and maybe earthy, and this would be a bit smoother drinking. Obviously a well built beer, but I prefer a different route on my IPA hop selection. Still, I would like to give it another whirl, with a little more fresh bottle.

05-22-2009 00:05:21 | More by bhalter8
HopHead84

4.7/5  rDev +7.8%

Pint glass. I'm surprised this is my first rating of this beer. It's medium golden with a nice frothy white head. Retention is good and scattered lacing is left on my glass.

The aroma is that of a near perfect IPA. Blind Pig has a strong citrus hop presence, imparting notes of bitter grapefruit as well as orange rind. There's also a lot of pine in the nose too. There's no noticeable alcohol, and the malt backbone is faint and crackery.

The taste is very bitter and packs a hell of a lot of hop flavor. It oozes pine and citrus hops. There' not sweetness. The crackery malt profile lets the hops run the show. No sweetness is detectable, and alcohol flavor is nowhere to be found. Bitterness is medium-high. The finish is crisp and clean. It's also very dry, and bitter. It leaves pine and grapefruit lingering on my palate.

Blind Pig is light bodied with good carbonation.
The mouthfeel is bone dry, crisp, and leaves my mouth sticky.

05-21-2009 02:18:18 | More by HopHead84
frothyhead

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a golden yellow-amber into a snifter with a small bubbly off-white head. Healthy amounts of sticky lacing around the glass as it drains.

Nose is hoppy goodness, with big notes of grapefruit, citrus and pine. Hops dominate, with just a bit of pale malt and grains trying to balance it out.

Mouth is medium to light bodied and silky with hop oils with a slightly dry, bitter finish. Medium to low carbonation. Feels a tad thin.

Taste starts with a bit of subtle honey sweetness up front and then pounds through a huge blast of hop bitterness, pine and subtle grapefruit. Prickly bitterness lingers long after it goes down.

Drinkability is high, as this is solidly delicious and relatively low alcohol.

Overall, this is a great example of a hoppy American IPA. Refreshing, not overpowering or overly bitter, and absolutely delicious. My only complaint would be in the slightly thin/watery mouthfeel and I feel like a bit more carbonation might make it even more quaffable.

05-20-2009 03:50:56 | More by frothyhead
Onenote81

3.75/5  rDev -14%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Bottle received from tzanio in a recent trade. Thanks! Bottled on 3/3/09.

Poured into my pint glass a murky goldish orange with a big frothy white head resting on top. This dissipates pretty quicky to a thin sheet on top. Great lacing rings all around glass. Smells great! Huge piney hops all over the nose. Sweet floral tones mixed with definitive citrus, make this a very wonderful smelling beer.

Mouthfeel is crisp and yet slightly wet. A little more watered down than I wanted. Flavor is big time bitter up front, and finishes spicy. This beer is absent of a decent sweet malty balance. This finishes a little harsh and acrid. This could be a little more balanced, but still a great IPA. Glad I had the chance to try it. Thanks, Tzanio.

05-19-2009 17:27:00 | More by Onenote81
Wegbier

Colorado

3.95/5  rDev -9.4%

bottle says 07/22/08
I want to try this one again when I can find it fresh.
The appearance is yellow to amber honey with a head that barely holds on the whole way down. I drank this beer in two separate pours because of glass size and to my shock this is a very cloudy ipa giving it a deep amber look.

the smell is enjoyable it gives way very well to the taste of grassy, spicy and light amount of citrus hops, there is maybe a hint of malt or ester but they are lost in the bitter finish of hops.

the bottle says drink it fresh or dont drink it at all, it would have been better to wait for the store to show a fresher one because drinkability is low for the rep that this has.
my second pour is more drinkable with the slight extra yeast taste to smooth it out

05-19-2009 04:16:26 | More by Wegbier
stoutfiend27

4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

500 ml bottle received as extra in recent trade with Ghengis22 thanks James...bottled on 3-3-09 poured into duvel tulip

a-rusty copper orange color 1 finger head that dissipated quickly..lovely lacing and nice bubbles from the carb

s-grassy, piney and citrusy..very floral...sort of sweet

t-hop forward of course but nice citrus hops with some bitterness from middle to end..

m-oily and medium bodied..nice fizz from the carbonation....

d-absolutely fantastic could drink this stuff all night if more available...

05-19-2009 00:04:10 | More by stoutfiend27
farrago

4.13/5  rDev -5.3%

Presents a big foam on the pour, a good deal of very large bubbles, settles down to the surface quickly leaving a thick, sticky lacing behind. Medium orange to autumnal yellow in color, more transparent at the rims, good brightness throughout. There's a toasty crispness to the nose, the white and pink grapefruit accents penetrate but not violently, retains some honeyed bread crust and cereal aspects, light guava, pineapple, nectarine fruit scents, the malty smoothness is sneaky and mostly before it all dissolves, mainly milk chocolate powder. Medium-bodied, a touch lighter than expected given the expressiveness of the nose, the carbonation more broad than fine, lifts things like an air balloon rather than hang glider. The grapefruit, tangerine, lemon citrus sweeter here and, by the same token, the malts more present and soothing. More grass and grain than bread or cereal, a measured rawness to it. A breeze of spring flowers comes through at the end. Admirable alternation between balanced integration and letting the dog off the leash in the park.

05-16-2009 01:50:23 | More by farrago
mjd83goblue

4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

500 ml bottle. Thanks to torchednoodle for the trade!

Pours quite hazy with a thick billowing head. A few yeast particles floating around.

A big punch of sweet fresh lemony raw hops. Just phenomenal. Also makes you think it will be stickier than it actually is.

Ripping hops for a regular IPA. Slightly unbalanced, with the hops winning the battle. A touch of a cooked cereal taste in the finish, but I'm just being picky.

Actually, a tad thinner than some of my other favorite IPAs. With that said, I would drink this at every opportunity. Fantastic beer, even though I'd probably take a Pliny over it.

05-14-2009 01:55:33 | More by mjd83goblue
siradmiralnelson

Iowa

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

Poured from bottle into Tulip.

A- Poured a big 3 finger head. Head stuck around for quite a while, leaving thick lacing on glass. Color was a yellow/golden/orange.

S. Nice big hop aroma. Citrus and Pine smell from the hops. Nice grapefruit aroma.

T. Bitterness from the hops up front. Citrus flavors, some grapefruit. Nice caramel malt taste. This beer is well balanced, but I would say the hop flavors are dominant.

M. Medium bodied, smooth beer with a dry finish.

D. Very drinkable. Very good IPA.

05-12-2009 23:31:39 | More by siradmiralnelson
bulletrain76

4.2/5  rDev -3.7%

Draught at the brewery. Gold with a white head. Huge hoppy aroma of pine and grapefruit. Dry, lightly toasted pale malt with lots of bitter, piney hop flavor. A little lighter bodied and dryer than RRIPA, with a very dry and clean finish and lingering bitterness. A pretty big hop charge, but the profile isn't quite as interesting as RRIPA. Love the dry, clean malt profile though

05-11-2009 23:11:47 | More by bulletrain76