Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Blind Pig IPABlind Pig IPA

Wants: 1,429
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blind Pig IPA Alström Bros
pnkRed

4.78/5  rDev +9.6%

At my first sip I knew I was drinking something special. This is the beer that came before Pliny the Elder and Pliny the Younger. The hop character is similar, but less bitter, and the malt is a lot smoother than the elder. At 6% you can session the DIPA! Floral, citrus, and piney aromas destroy the nose as you let the bitterness scrape your taste buds clean and cling to your palate. This can step in Elder's place when he's not around.

02-24-2010 08:36:33 | More by pnkRed
hayesez

Indiana

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to bricktop for throwing one of these into our recent trade. It's been about 15 years since I've had one of these - well before the days of Russian River Brewing. It's nice to see the label is still pretty much the same, and Vinnie is still in charge of brewing it! I've tossed this bottle on my wall next to the old one...

Poured into a Rose-Hulman Beer Club pint glass. Deep cloudy amber color with just enough clarity that I can make out objects on the other side. A large frothy near-white head forms on the top before slowly inching back to a bubbled lid on the beer. A fair amount of lacing is already visible solely from head reduction...impressive. As could be predicted, that thick mountainous lacing continued throughout the entire beer. By the time I finished this beer, a small cap of swirled head still remained - this is a damn nice looking beer.

The smell is heavy on the citrus fruit - primarily grapefruit. Also some more sweet fruits in there as well and combined with some floral notes. The smell is good...consistent with about anything Russian River produces, although perhaps a bit less pronounced than some.

Taste is largely as I expected, although it took a bit to kick in. The initial taste did not really hit me at first, but certainly made up for it throughout the finish. A very fine balance of maltiness and hops, sweet and bitter. None overpowering, but complementing each other well. The grapefruit is right in there along with some orange. Hops are obviously pronounced and give a nice bitter finish. Not quite as crisp as some other beers by RR, but still a fantastic flavor. A very full beer that has a nicely tuned carbonation. Goes down very smoothly and dangerously easily.

Once again I find myself waving the Russian River flag. Although I don't have easy access to their stuff, I make it a point to pick some up whenever I travel west. Vinnie and the crew do an outstanding job and Blind Pig is just another fine example.

Consumed: 2/23/2010

02-24-2010 04:20:17 | More by hayesez
berebrando

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

Good Beer! I bought it at Whole Foods in Tustin, CA (moved to Blind Pig because we haven't been getting the same Pliny the Elder shipments around here).

This is one of Russian River's deliciously hoppy IPAs. I was at the brewery for the release of the Younger (epic!) and Blind Pig was one of four or five IPAs they had on tap (including Blind Pig, the Elder, the Younger, Russian River IPA, and one more, if my blurry memory serves me well). It's good, but it's not Pliny good (great!).

I'm drinking it tonight from a pint glass, probably at a colder temperature than it deserves. The appearance, in this lighting, is a light-orange. Occasionally, bubbles emerge from the bottom, leaving a little layer on the top - though, the head from the pour has all-but disappeared. The smell is lighter than I expected, with the most prevalent essence being pine (maybe a pine forest following a summer monsoon), though there is also a little citrus. Taste is good, but it doesn't have the crispness I've come to love in IPAs like the Younger and Sculpin from Ballast Point. It tastes hoppy and bitter - it's a good level of bitterness, and it's well balanced, like many of the Russian River brews.

This beer is very drinkable! I would most certainly recommend it - and I'd also recommend the brewery, it's an experience to remember!

02-17-2010 02:29:15 | More by berebrando
mutterfudder

New Hampshire

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%

Received in trade from htomsirveaux. Thanks! Bottled 10/31/09, poured into a Stone IPA glass.

A - Copper color with a rich, foamy head. The head stuck around as long as the beer and laced nicely down the glass. Pretty!

S - Piney, floral hop smells. If you like IPA's at all, this will smell just about as good as it gets. Powerful but not overpowering.

T - Holy hops batman! There is a nice hop wallop up front, with a nice subtle malty backbone that provides immediate counterplay to the hops. A finishing flavor of sweetness blends nicely with the powerful hop notes to finish off the swig. Very nice, well balanced with strong hop flavor.

M / D - Mouthfeel is nice, if a little to "slick" in the mouth than I'd like. I like that the hop flavor sticks around a bit and lingers lightly on the tongue. Drinkability? I could go all night with this one.

Pliny might get all the attention, but don't forget Blind Pig. It may not be as "Extreme!" but it might be just as good when half the hop power is good enough.

02-17-2010 02:02:40 | More by mutterfudder
BigMike

4.6/5  rDev +5.5%

Had on tap today at the Blue Dog Tavern in Chalfont.

Poured into a tulip glass. Light hazy straw color. Not much head. About a pinky fingers worth. Tremendous lacing left on the glass though.

Smells awesome. Lots of fresh ripe grapefruit. Lots of pine and some fresh cut grass.

Tastes like a baby version of PTE! Like in the nose, theres tons of grapefruit and pine, fresh citrus and cut grass. The best tasting IPA ive had yet.

Great mouthfeel. Nice amount of carbonation. I would call this a little lighter then medium but not really light bodied. Smooth and fluffy mouthfeel.

Awesome drinkability. At 6% i could drink this all day. Russian River brews pure awesomness. I had no doubt in my mind that would be a great brew. I wasn't disappointed.

95/100

02-16-2010 20:14:12 | More by BigMike
mdfb79

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a 500ML bottle into a pint glass. Bottled on 1/13/10, drank on 2/15/10.

a - Pours a nice golden color with about an inch and a half of white foam and moderate carbonation.

s - Smells mostly of hops, as well as citrus/orange, a little lemon and pine, and a maybe a hint of something sweeter like honey. Smells great.

t - Strong hoppy taste to it. Also tastes strongly of citrus/grapefruit, and pine. Has a bitter aftertaste to it. A good taste to it for an IPA, but I thought it might be a little sweeter than it was.

m - Medium body with moderate carbonation, this IPA is very easy to drink. It has a bit of a bitter aftertase.

d - Overall I thought this was a very good IPA. I thought it smelled amazing and while the taste may not have lived up to it, it was still very good. Considering the bitter hops taste it is actually pretty easy to drink, and I would definitely try this again.

02-16-2010 01:19:59 | More by mdfb79
goatgoat

Arizona

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into a pint. Bottled on 9/15/09, so not super fresh.

Pours a clear lemon with a light honey tint. Thick meringue head and beautiful lace. Slightly sweet aroma with heavy citrus and some tropical hints. Nothing but hops in the taste. There must be some backbone there, since it's much more enjoyable than hop water... but I can't pick it out. A long lasting clean bitterness in the finish.
Light in the mouth and a nice dry finish. Resiny sort of feel. Keeps you sipping.
Not a super-complex-keeps-you-thinking beer. But an incredibly nice drinking IPA.

02-15-2010 02:26:22 | More by goatgoat
krisandajt

Another tasty treat courtesy of cloudskipper.

Appearance: A rough pour into my trusty Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass shows this beer to be a cloudy, light gold colored brew. Despite the not-so-gentle pour, there's only about a quarter inch worth of head. The head fades away to virtual nothingness with only a collection of bubbles encircling the beer where it meets the glass. There is, however, a fair bit of sticky lacing clinging to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Smell is a bit relaxed, though to be fair I just finished a PtE so my sense of smell may be slightly skewed. That being said, there's only a faint bit of citrusy goodness lurking in the nose.

Taste: A fair bit of improvement over the smell, the taste is more robust than the nose would indicate. A bitter, citrusy, grapefruity taste without much of a sweet malt to balance (though I'm not complaining). Not overly complex, but not overly simple either.

Mouthfeel: A crisp, refreshing medium body with plenty of carbonation and a good clean finish.

Drinkability: A fine tasting, easy drinking IPA. To be honest I was expecting a bit more with this one, but then again I just enjoyed a PtE so I may have set the bar a little too high. Either way, this is a tasty IPA and one that I would never turn down.

02-13-2010 03:53:38 | More by krisandajt
rpstevens

New Hampshire

4.4/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, I brought this bottle home from Santa Rosa. The pour yields a hazy golden amber, orange color with a one finger bone white head. The head fades to a tight ring around the beer, leaving bubbly oily lacing.

The smell is a healthy dose of hops, as expected. Orange peels, lemon zest, pineapple, mango and lastly pine. I smell no trace of malt, and no sweetness that isn't citrus.

The taste is a reversal from the smell, the bitter pine dominates the first part of the flavor. The orange peels and lemon zest are still very present, as well as a nice fresh cut grassy hop character. The bitter pine comes back at the end of the flavor and leaves a nice bittering sensation behind.

The beer is well carbonated and has a nice medium mouthfeel. The alcohol is well hidden, the beer is very bitter and the finish is nice and dry. This is an awesome example of a single IPA, very hoppy, no malt, excellent bitterness.

02-12-2010 00:56:12 | More by rpstevens
cpetrone84

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%

A-hint of haze in this golden orange colored beer, some bubble action going on inside. the head is a nice looking eggshell white that lingers for about half a minute and leaves a thick lacing on the glass.

S-the nose is perfect for a single ipa. big bold hop aromas of pine first then tropical fruits, grapefruit and apricot with a hint of citrus

T/M-the taste is similar to the nose, hints of pine, big citrus, grapefruit, apricot, and mango. smooth and crisp, lighter body. bitter hops at the finish.

D-this is a decent IPA the smell is spot on, solid taste and very easy going down.

02-09-2010 23:12:45 | More by cpetrone84
iconoklaztor

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

A: Lighter Orange/Redish/Pinkish

S: Pretty hoppy smell. Expected a bit more hops though

T: Good hop taste with a decent malt back bone

M: A little lighter than I thought it was going to be

D: Very drinkable as all RR brews seem to be

Overall a very good beer but would rather have Elder if offered.

Cheers!

02-08-2010 17:10:32 | More by iconoklaztor
alpinebryant

Connecticut

3.83/5  rDev -12.2%

Bottled on Date 12.11.09
Pours a clear light straw color with a small white head. Aroma is over the top great with citrus pine and grapefruit - a very delicious smelling brew. The taste doesnt quite live up to the smell , but I still think this is a good IPA. Mouthfeel on this one is slightly lighter than what I remember of PTE, but not watery.

I like an IPA a litter sweeter than this one - it has a dry finish and an a bitterness that I enjoy with some additional sweetness.

Medium to light carbonation . Drinkability is medium for me

02-05-2010 02:22:47 | More by alpinebryant
VWBuggirl

South Carolina

2.95/5  rDev -32.3%

So, I am sure many of you will disagree with me on this, but personally, I did not enjoy this beer. Though, I can understand why so many people enjoy it.

I never understood why smell was a category in these rating, but this beer is why! I have never smelled a drink that had such a great aroma. It has a very strong floral scent that I find refreshing.

The problem (for me) is that it has such an unpleasant bitterness to it that I couldn't enjoy it. I was quite disappointed, but as I said, I can understand why others enjoy it.

01-30-2010 08:18:36 | More by VWBuggirl
barrelman

4.28/5  rDev -1.8%

Looks clear and hazy amber with two fingers of creamy white head. And might I add, a beautifully shaped bottle.

Aroma comes off as a pretty simple hop character. None off the overly citrusy characteristics. Taste is nice piney hops with a suttle back off malt. Mouthfeel is bottle-conditioned perfection.

This beer is elegant in its simlpicity. Hops meeting barley malt, and stealing its girlfriend, but being nice about it. Good beer.

01-30-2010 01:12:03 | More by barrelman
Jeffo

Netherlands

3.68/5  rDev -15.6%

Found this at the Cracked Kettle in Amsterdam.

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a 2+ finger thicker looking white head with great retention. Perfectly clear with medium carbonation evident. Amber-orange in color when held to the light, though more gamboge when not. A good film remains until the end and leaves lots of lacing down the glass. Pretty nice looking.

SMELL: Pale malts with big grapefruit and mango notes all around. Very bold. Some hints of pine as well, but mostly citrus and mango hop notes.

TASTE: Pale malts again, but soon overwhelmed by citrus grapefruit and lots of pine flavors. More piney than the nose had indicated. Finishes with a mouthful of bitter hops and pine, which remain throughout the bold and long lasting aftertaste. Strong and bold hoppy flavors here, though a little heavier on the pine than I'd expected.

PALATE: Medium body and quite light and creamy on the palate. Goes down smooth and finishes quite astringent on the palate. This one is much more astringent and puckering than I'd like. Much more astringent than others in the style. Very off-putting, unfortunately.

OVERALL: Everything turned out nicely on this one, except the feel just did it in. The astringency made it difficult to drink and really hurt the overall enjoyment of the beer. Too bad, because all my other senses were definitely pleased with the situation. Won't be picking this one up again.

01-26-2010 20:52:40 | More by Jeffo
davedahl

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

A nice drinker if you have better access than I do in Chicago.

A light pour produces about 1/3 head for the pour. Straw yellow and hazy - non-chill haze. Aroma is all hops - primarily grassy and spicy. As you drink it down there's a nice sticky lace.

Taking a slug reveals this to clearly be an A-IPA (nicely non-imperial) but still very hop-dominant. Same hop tastes aroma but with some juicy (pink grapefruit?) citrus. But balanced with smooth malty backbone which keeps the edge off the hops.

The mouthfeel is clearly medium - very manageable for a bold IPA. Finish is slightly bitter/sweet (literally) but still light. Very drinkable - like I said above, if I had access I'd pound a few of these badboys in a sitting.

01-21-2010 23:56:09 | More by davedahl
jjhbrfdds

4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

Pours a hazy yellow with a solid well formed head,peaks well and begins to pit leaving mountain like striations of foam and lace,this is one of the finest heads on a beer I have seen in years,as the head dissipates this beer tells you instantly its an IPA citrus floral west coast hops hit your nose,well balanced sweet acid and a solid west coast hop finish,man I could drink a ton of these,Fresh and on tap is all I could think of,but as for my bottle it was still an exceptional IPA

01-18-2010 15:46:37 | More by jjhbrfdds
snpub540

4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

Wanted to try this for a long time. Poured a clear golden straw hue with a fluffy white head that left some moderate lacing on the glass. Not alot of carbonation.

Smell was damn near perfect. Alot of grapefuit in the nose countered by some piney, and grassy notes. A very enticing nose I must say.

Taste was mostly citrus hops, with some of the grassiness coming through towards the end. Not overly bitter as the malt sweetness rounded out to make a smooth IPA.

Drinkability was great. Not a heavy beer and it doesn't have an overly alcoholic punch either. Gets a little more bitter as it warms but still great. Medium bodied and refreshing.

01-17-2010 07:11:05 | More by snpub540
zoso1967

4.2/5  rDev -3.7%

Light copper color with a good head and decent lacing. It had a pleasant smell of piney hops with some interesting earthy notes in the background. The flavor was very complex for an IPA, and it took me a minute to pick out the toasty malt taste that I think really sets this beer apart. It of course has tons of citrus and pine tastes from American hops, and a pleasant amount of malt sweetness holding the bitterness up, but there is also a very nice amount of toasted malt flavor that seems to seamlessly mingle with all the other tastes. It made me keep coming back for another sip and was a much appreciated addition. Nice dry finish and on the lighter side of a medium bodied brew. Would make a great session IPA and paired quite well with my slightly spicy entrée. If only it was easier to come by.

01-16-2010 18:38:52 | More by zoso1967
FeDUBBELFIST

4.22/5  rDev -3.2%

Into a pint glass.

A: The pour produces thousands of tiny, little bubbles that rush furiously to the top of my glass leaving behind a rather complacent, innactive looking brew. That was interesting. An average size stark white, foamy head forms and has decent retention. The color of the body is equal parts yellow, orange and amber. Very appealing. A light haziness can be seen in an otherwise pretty clean looking brew.

S & T: Aromas of biscuits, grain, bread and a light caramel combine to make up the malt character, which is just substantial enough to hold up to the incoming hop attack. Huge citrus qualities of grapefruit & orange, big floral notes and a very light pine presence. Light sweet notes from the honey come through, as well as the additional fruits of peach, clementine and pineapple. The hops are harshly bittering on the tongue and even moreso on the finish.

M: Medium fullness to the body. Prickly and fizzy carbonation. The Blind Pig lost a few points on the finish for having an out of scale (very isolated) bitterness. Could have definitely handled another percent in the ABV.

D: Drinkability is above average. I find that the finish is somewhat hindering in this department. The first glass was delicious, the second, very good, the third, good, etc. A really drinkable beer should be very palatable and also get better from one glass to the next in my opinion. Also, I prefer this one a little colder than usual to keep the bitterness in check.

01-15-2010 13:56:27 | More by FeDUBBELFIST
PhiGDeltaBrewman

4.9/5  rDev +12.4%

A- orange tinge with exceptional carbonation

T- very well balanced and hopped with a nice citrus perhaps even tropical appeal to the flavor. the hop flavor is floral at the end and doesnt linger or coat the palate excessivly

S- sweet and citus notes that are enticing and complement that flavor profile

M- rounded and smooth followed by a slight bite that blends nicely

overall an amazing ipa that isnt too strong, maybe a similar style with a little maltiness wwould be nice but i can appreciate this beer all around, i will be buying more tomorrow!

01-12-2010 08:07:38 | More by PhiGDeltaBrewman
drtth

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Served in a nonic pint glass. Glass of cold water on the side to sip from periodically.

Appearance: As served the beer is a clear bright lemon-gold color with an off white ½" creamy appearing head that leaves patches of lace clinging to the side of the glass as the head recedes. Sipping leaves rings and patches and interesting patterns of lacing. As the beer is consumed many of the patches of sticky foam are still clinging to the sides of the glass as new lacing patterns form while sipping.

Smell: The clean strong, lightly sweet aroma is filled with orange, grapefruit and tropical fruits all supported by a trace of malt.

Taste: Pretty much as predicted by the nose, the malt backbone provides a light sweetness that supports but does not intrude on the flavor of the citric hops. The light caramel smoothes and tempers the citric fruity bitterness from the orange and grapefruit and creates a very complex flavor profile with more here than I'm capturing.

Mouthfeel: The mouth feel is medium bodied with a nice creamy feel from the persistent gentle carbonation, The finish is medium long, begins with the complex mix of malt and citric hops but then trails off to end in gentle dry bitterness

Drinkability: This is a very drinkable beer and it is easy to have a second one. (In fact I did.) I'll be quite happy to have this beer again in the future. It's a first rate IPA and definitely among the better that I have tried.

01-08-2010 18:38:25 | More by drtth
DanOLeary

Washington

4.28/5  rDev -1.8%

Bottled on 12/11/09

Aroma: Citrus hop aroma up front with rich grapefruit rind. Crisp and bright, almost harsh hop aroma. Very little malt aroma.

Appearance: Light honey to a golden wheat with cloudiness suggesting the use of dry hopping. A thin white head blankets the beer with consistency. If you swirl the glass the foam will stick to the side but no lacing is present.

Flavor: Initially hits you with huge hop bitterness, a huge citrus bite right on the tongue. After that initial hop stab, the flavor fades out to almost nothing. The beer is surprisingly thin on malt character in the middle. The hop complexity of grapefruit, citrus and some pine are framed up very nicely, but there really isn't much to the malt to drive any sweetness into the mix. As pleasant as I find the hop character to be, you could call this beer unbalanced. There is a tendency to have a bit of a puckering effect, like the feeling of sucking on a hop leaf. The hop character comes off so bright and clean however, for a hop lover this is a real treat.

Mouthfeel: Medium to light with medium carbonation. Finishes clean except it has a puckering tannin effect. Back to chewing on that hop leaf with all the hop bitterness.

Overall: While Russian River considers the Blind Pig one of their standard IPA's, this would be a huge IPA for most breweries. I don't think I'm too far off the mark by saying for a great number of breweries in the country this would qualify as their Double IPA. The hop bitterness is extremely well defined and really does feel like you're drinking some liquid hops. If you're looking for a beer with excellent bitterness that doesn't mess around with subtle malt complexities, then this is your beer.

I'll admit some bias when drinking this beer because I know what a reputable brewery it comes from and how much I enjoy everything that Russian River puts out. If the Blind Pig was placed before me in an unmarked mason jar, I would probably tell you the beer was unbalanced and needed some biscuit malt complexity to back up all the grapefruit.

01-08-2010 04:59:13 | More by DanOLeary
MbpBugeye

3.98/5  rDev -8.7%

Bottled on 7-23-09. This might not be the freshest Blind Pig but I got it on a trade with a user from a car related site.

A- Big white thick and cake like head sits atop a clear, pale orange beer. The head has great retention and moderate lacing.

S- Not very powerful. Its hoppy and floral along with a bit of citrus.

T- Very tasty. Its piney and citrusy. The flavor could use a bit more punch but it might be because this beer is 6 months old already.

M- Medium and smooth body. Goes down well.

D- A pretty highly drinkable IPA.

01-07-2010 06:38:52 | More by MbpBugeye
boothbeer

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Got this bottle in a trade from nickd717. Thanks for getting me some great Russian River beers! Cracked this one for the first day of my last semester of law school.

Pours a bright amber; almost orange color. 2 fingers width of large white foamy head that retains well and leaves nice lacing on the glass. But there are some dark specs in the beer that sink to the bottom- hopefully just hops.

Smells of pine, orange peels, and some grapefruit. Definitely picking up citrus smells. Very nice aroma. This is what I look for in an IPA.

Tastes of pine/hops and bitterness and finishes with a lot of the citrus I smelled. This beer is in your face, but in a great way! Its not overpowering; there are a lot of great hops flavors, but the citrus complements them very well.

Pretty smooth mouthfeel for an IPA. Medium carbonation. The hops dont dry the mouthfeel out. Its actually pretty slick for how hoppy this beer is.

I could drink a lot of this IPA. Not too high of an ABV and an all around good beer. Just wish I had access to this whenever I wanted it!

01-05-2010 02:34:07 | More by boothbeer