Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Blind Pig IPABlind Pig IPA

Wants: 1,434
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blind Pig IPA Alström Bros
travduke

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Big ups to plinytheyoungest for hooking me up with this & elder. Thanks Jeff!

Look: This is beautiful looking. Two inches of foamy white head ontop of a light amber body. Great retention, even better lacing.

Smell: I love the smell of a great brewed IPA. Fruity hops and pine. Grapefruit, citrus, pineapple.

Taste: Ah, hops! Right up foreward. Just like the nose predicted. Very citrusy and bitter, I love it. The malt is light and in the background. Its outstanding.

Mouth/Drink: Nice light and bitter finish. Low-Medium carbonation. Drinkablity is as good as it gets. I see myself setting up a trade in the future for atleast a 6pack.

03-19-2010 02:24:53 | More by travduke
billab914

4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

Thanks goes out to Brian for this great extra! Poured from a 500ml bottle into my Dogfish shaped pint glass. Poured a hazy light amber color with a thick two inch white foamy head. Very good head retention and it left excellent lacing on my glass.

The aroma is floral and hoppy with a strong grapefruit and pineapple citrus presence. It also has some pine and a slightly herbal spice to it along with a little sweetness. Excellent aroma for an IPA in my opinion.

The taste is hoppy as expected with some strong citrus flavors like the nose. It starts out with a sweet hoppy flavor but the bitterness really comes into play in the finish, balancing the sweetness out some.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with moderate carbonation. Drinkability is excellent, it's a fantastic tasting IPA and very easy drinking.

Overall one of the best IPA's I have had, and I have had the pleasure of having it a few times now fresh. it really shines in the balance it has between the sweet hoppy flavor and the bitter finish. Would gladly drink this anytime.

03-12-2010 00:14:09 | More by billab914
abrand

4.58/5  rDev +5%

Another wonderful west coast IPA acquired from JesseTheHutt. Thanks so much!

500 mL bottle poured into a pint glass. Bottled on date of 1.18.2010.

The Bline Pig pours a hazy pure orange color with a nice sticky head and plenty of lacing on the glass. Very good start with the pour. The aromas are what make this beer. As soon as the top is popped off the air is filled with floral hops and sweet citrus fruits. The characteristics are plenty with lots of pine, fruits, hops, and even some malts. The quaff is hops, then sweet fruits, then a bitter hop finish that keeps the palate craving more. Mouthfeel is silky smooth and fairly light bodied. Drinkability is great. One of the most sessionable IPA's in my opinion. I do not feel that this gets near the hype as it could and remains under the radar as one of the best IPA's out there.

03-10-2010 03:17:08 | More by abrand
chickencoop

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

This is just a simple but classic West Coast IPA. There is a reason why Russian River has a cult following, when it comes to the style, they nail it and put out a style standard. Big hops on the front, smooth throughout, but still citrusy hops dominated like i like. This beer is so well made with the consistency from first sip to the end. I may be biased since i'm from sonoma county, but this beer is the goods.

03-08-2010 06:13:02 | More by chickencoop
pmccallum86

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%

This beer pours a clear golden color with a substantial amount of carbonation coming up from the bottom. Head is bubbly and thick and also leaves a ton of lacing on the glass. Only criticism is the color of the body, it's pretty light.

Smell is hoppy. Pine and grapefruit notes are preeminent. Very floral in the nose, I definitely am digging the smell.

Taste is hoppy, lots of pine and bitter grapefruit. Very nicely done, light in malts, which is how I like my IPAs. I am pleasantly surprised by this beer, it may possibly be better than Pliny the Elder.

Mouthfeel is great and simple, just hoppy, light and smooth. Nice bitter hop finish as well.

Very drinkable beer, quite possibly one of the most drinkable IPAs out there.

03-06-2010 01:25:57 | More by pmccallum86
stingrayvr6

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Had this on tap at Monk's Cafe in Philadelphia, at their 3rd annual celebration of everything Russian River. Unassuming appearance, yellowish wheat color. Very mild white head. Smell was anything but reserved. Strong grassy hop smell, some slight fruity notes. taste was similar, not much malt body but tremendous hop bitterness. Biting finish. Great beer for the hop head. Excellent West Coast IPA.

03-03-2010 00:42:09 | More by stingrayvr6
Vonerichs

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

On-tap at Falling Rock in Denver.

Poured a clear peach color with two fingers of foamy head and lots of retention.

The nose is tons of fresh hops. Grapefruit and fresh cut grass are the most noticable. Not a trace of malt.

This has a very fresh taste about it. Again, citrus and grassy hops. It's very bitter, much to my liking. There's also a little bit of sweet fruit to it, maybe peach?

Mouthfeel is a little oily and a medium body. Carbonation is mild and it's very smooth. Finish is dry. The aftertaste lingers for quite a while and is hops, hops, hops.

Very drinkable, not a trace of alcohol. Fresh and clean.

A great IPA and it deserves the accolades it gets.

03-01-2010 01:01:21 | More by Vonerichs
AleWatcher

4.58/5  rDev +5%

This handsome looking bottle was acquired in trade with my main SoCal man - Sideswipe. (Thanks John!)

Pours a deep apricot/copper color that is nice and clear. Fluffy, angel-white head rises up over 2 fingers, slowly recedes, leaving nice streaks of lacing. The head takes the form a bubbly white cap of thin foam, and is there until the end.

Smell is huge on fresh hops. Very big grapefruit and maybe other citrus notes as well. Smells clean. If I manufactured any kind of household cleaner, this is the scent I would go for. There is no astringent quality, it just smells so damn fresh and clean.

If the smell is big on grapefruit, then the taste is HUGE. It is nicely balanced with softer orange and possibly pear notes. A slight piney resin on the finish. Somewhere amongst all this hoppiness, a sweet malt front makes a brief, but lovely appearance. Taste is incredible. Big on flavor, yet clean, and refreshing.

This is a very smooth brew. Carbonation level is spot on, nd it slides down with ease. Before I even realized it, I'm done with it. (too bad I only got 2 of these)!

If I lived in the distribution area, I would probably make this one a regular drinker. Of course, I haven't tried the Pliny or Sculpin that I got in the trade yet... Still though, this is a very excellent beer, and my first from Russian River. I look forward to more of each!

02-27-2010 23:35:57 | More by AleWatcher
donkeyrunner

Light amber color with tiny suspended yeasties. Large, bubble laden head leaves great retention and sticky lace aplenty. "Respect hops. Consume this IPA fresh." Ok.

Smells of pine and peach ring awesomeness. Bits of kitchen spice, like paprika or rosemary (I tend to get that from Columbus). Prickly pine and grapefruit hop taste over dry cracker malt. There's that peach ring thing again which I'm a fan of.

Not a fan of the mouthfeel. It's thin and not full of hop resin as the aroma would indicate. Bummer.

via duffextracold

02-25-2010 23:19:04 | More by donkeyrunner
pnkRed

4.78/5  rDev +9.6%

At my first sip I knew I was drinking something special. This is the beer that came before Pliny the Elder and Pliny the Younger. The hop character is similar, but less bitter, and the malt is a lot smoother than the elder. At 6% you can session the DIPA! Floral, citrus, and piney aromas destroy the nose as you let the bitterness scrape your taste buds clean and cling to your palate. This can step in Elder's place when he's not around.

02-24-2010 08:36:33 | More by pnkRed
hayesez

Indiana

4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

Thanks to bricktop for throwing one of these into our recent trade. It's been about 15 years since I've had one of these - well before the days of Russian River Brewing. It's nice to see the label is still pretty much the same, and Vinnie is still in charge of brewing it! I've tossed this bottle on my wall next to the old one...

Poured into a Rose-Hulman Beer Club pint glass. Deep cloudy amber color with just enough clarity that I can make out objects on the other side. A large frothy near-white head forms on the top before slowly inching back to a bubbled lid on the beer. A fair amount of lacing is already visible solely from head reduction...impressive. As could be predicted, that thick mountainous lacing continued throughout the entire beer. By the time I finished this beer, a small cap of swirled head still remained - this is a damn nice looking beer.

The smell is heavy on the citrus fruit - primarily grapefruit. Also some more sweet fruits in there as well and combined with some floral notes. The smell is good...consistent with about anything Russian River produces, although perhaps a bit less pronounced than some.

Taste is largely as I expected, although it took a bit to kick in. The initial taste did not really hit me at first, but certainly made up for it throughout the finish. A very fine balance of maltiness and hops, sweet and bitter. None overpowering, but complementing each other well. The grapefruit is right in there along with some orange. Hops are obviously pronounced and give a nice bitter finish. Not quite as crisp as some other beers by RR, but still a fantastic flavor. A very full beer that has a nicely tuned carbonation. Goes down very smoothly and dangerously easily.

Once again I find myself waving the Russian River flag. Although I don't have easy access to their stuff, I make it a point to pick some up whenever I travel west. Vinnie and the crew do an outstanding job and Blind Pig is just another fine example.

Consumed: 2/23/2010

02-24-2010 04:20:17 | More by hayesez
berebrando

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

Good Beer! I bought it at Whole Foods in Tustin, CA (moved to Blind Pig because we haven't been getting the same Pliny the Elder shipments around here).

This is one of Russian River's deliciously hoppy IPAs. I was at the brewery for the release of the Younger (epic!) and Blind Pig was one of four or five IPAs they had on tap (including Blind Pig, the Elder, the Younger, Russian River IPA, and one more, if my blurry memory serves me well). It's good, but it's not Pliny good (great!).

I'm drinking it tonight from a pint glass, probably at a colder temperature than it deserves. The appearance, in this lighting, is a light-orange. Occasionally, bubbles emerge from the bottom, leaving a little layer on the top - though, the head from the pour has all-but disappeared. The smell is lighter than I expected, with the most prevalent essence being pine (maybe a pine forest following a summer monsoon), though there is also a little citrus. Taste is good, but it doesn't have the crispness I've come to love in IPAs like the Younger and Sculpin from Ballast Point. It tastes hoppy and bitter - it's a good level of bitterness, and it's well balanced, like many of the Russian River brews.

This beer is very drinkable! I would most certainly recommend it - and I'd also recommend the brewery, it's an experience to remember!

02-17-2010 02:29:15 | More by berebrando
mutterfudder

New Hampshire

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%

Received in trade from htomsirveaux. Thanks! Bottled 10/31/09, poured into a Stone IPA glass.

A - Copper color with a rich, foamy head. The head stuck around as long as the beer and laced nicely down the glass. Pretty!

S - Piney, floral hop smells. If you like IPA's at all, this will smell just about as good as it gets. Powerful but not overpowering.

T - Holy hops batman! There is a nice hop wallop up front, with a nice subtle malty backbone that provides immediate counterplay to the hops. A finishing flavor of sweetness blends nicely with the powerful hop notes to finish off the swig. Very nice, well balanced with strong hop flavor.

M / D - Mouthfeel is nice, if a little to "slick" in the mouth than I'd like. I like that the hop flavor sticks around a bit and lingers lightly on the tongue. Drinkability? I could go all night with this one.

Pliny might get all the attention, but don't forget Blind Pig. It may not be as "Extreme!" but it might be just as good when half the hop power is good enough.

02-17-2010 02:02:40 | More by mutterfudder
BigMike

4.6/5  rDev +5.5%

Had on tap today at the Blue Dog Tavern in Chalfont.

Poured into a tulip glass. Light hazy straw color. Not much head. About a pinky fingers worth. Tremendous lacing left on the glass though.

Smells awesome. Lots of fresh ripe grapefruit. Lots of pine and some fresh cut grass.

Tastes like a baby version of PTE! Like in the nose, theres tons of grapefruit and pine, fresh citrus and cut grass. The best tasting IPA ive had yet.

Great mouthfeel. Nice amount of carbonation. I would call this a little lighter then medium but not really light bodied. Smooth and fluffy mouthfeel.

Awesome drinkability. At 6% i could drink this all day. Russian River brews pure awesomness. I had no doubt in my mind that would be a great brew. I wasn't disappointed.

95/100

02-16-2010 20:14:12 | More by BigMike
mdfb79

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Poured from a 500ML bottle into a pint glass. Bottled on 1/13/10, drank on 2/15/10.

a - Pours a nice golden color with about an inch and a half of white foam and moderate carbonation.

s - Smells mostly of hops, as well as citrus/orange, a little lemon and pine, and a maybe a hint of something sweeter like honey. Smells great.

t - Strong hoppy taste to it. Also tastes strongly of citrus/grapefruit, and pine. Has a bitter aftertaste to it. A good taste to it for an IPA, but I thought it might be a little sweeter than it was.

m - Medium body with moderate carbonation, this IPA is very easy to drink. It has a bit of a bitter aftertase.

d - Overall I thought this was a very good IPA. I thought it smelled amazing and while the taste may not have lived up to it, it was still very good. Considering the bitter hops taste it is actually pretty easy to drink, and I would definitely try this again.

02-16-2010 01:19:59 | More by mdfb79
goatgoat

Arizona

4.55/5  rDev +4.4%

Poured into a pint. Bottled on 9/15/09, so not super fresh.

Pours a clear lemon with a light honey tint. Thick meringue head and beautiful lace. Slightly sweet aroma with heavy citrus and some tropical hints. Nothing but hops in the taste. There must be some backbone there, since it's much more enjoyable than hop water... but I can't pick it out. A long lasting clean bitterness in the finish.
Light in the mouth and a nice dry finish. Resiny sort of feel. Keeps you sipping.
Not a super-complex-keeps-you-thinking beer. But an incredibly nice drinking IPA.

02-15-2010 02:26:22 | More by goatgoat
krisandajt

Another tasty treat courtesy of cloudskipper.

Appearance: A rough pour into my trusty Sam Adams Perfect Pint Glass shows this beer to be a cloudy, light gold colored brew. Despite the not-so-gentle pour, there's only about a quarter inch worth of head. The head fades away to virtual nothingness with only a collection of bubbles encircling the beer where it meets the glass. There is, however, a fair bit of sticky lacing clinging to the sides of the glass.

Smell: Smell is a bit relaxed, though to be fair I just finished a PtE so my sense of smell may be slightly skewed. That being said, there's only a faint bit of citrusy goodness lurking in the nose.

Taste: A fair bit of improvement over the smell, the taste is more robust than the nose would indicate. A bitter, citrusy, grapefruity taste without much of a sweet malt to balance (though I'm not complaining). Not overly complex, but not overly simple either.

Mouthfeel: A crisp, refreshing medium body with plenty of carbonation and a good clean finish.

Drinkability: A fine tasting, easy drinking IPA. To be honest I was expecting a bit more with this one, but then again I just enjoyed a PtE so I may have set the bar a little too high. Either way, this is a tasty IPA and one that I would never turn down.

02-13-2010 03:53:38 | More by krisandajt
rpstevens

New Hampshire

4.4/5  rDev +0.9%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass, I brought this bottle home from Santa Rosa. The pour yields a hazy golden amber, orange color with a one finger bone white head. The head fades to a tight ring around the beer, leaving bubbly oily lacing.

The smell is a healthy dose of hops, as expected. Orange peels, lemon zest, pineapple, mango and lastly pine. I smell no trace of malt, and no sweetness that isn't citrus.

The taste is a reversal from the smell, the bitter pine dominates the first part of the flavor. The orange peels and lemon zest are still very present, as well as a nice fresh cut grassy hop character. The bitter pine comes back at the end of the flavor and leaves a nice bittering sensation behind.

The beer is well carbonated and has a nice medium mouthfeel. The alcohol is well hidden, the beer is very bitter and the finish is nice and dry. This is an awesome example of a single IPA, very hoppy, no malt, excellent bitterness.

02-12-2010 00:56:12 | More by rpstevens
cpetrone84

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%

A-hint of haze in this golden orange colored beer, some bubble action going on inside. the head is a nice looking eggshell white that lingers for about half a minute and leaves a thick lacing on the glass.

S-the nose is perfect for a single ipa. big bold hop aromas of pine first then tropical fruits, grapefruit and apricot with a hint of citrus

T/M-the taste is similar to the nose, hints of pine, big citrus, grapefruit, apricot, and mango. smooth and crisp, lighter body. bitter hops at the finish.

D-this is a decent IPA the smell is spot on, solid taste and very easy going down.

02-09-2010 23:12:45 | More by cpetrone84
iconoklaztor

Indiana

4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

A: Lighter Orange/Redish/Pinkish

S: Pretty hoppy smell. Expected a bit more hops though

T: Good hop taste with a decent malt back bone

M: A little lighter than I thought it was going to be

D: Very drinkable as all RR brews seem to be

Overall a very good beer but would rather have Elder if offered.

Cheers!

02-08-2010 17:10:32 | More by iconoklaztor
alpinebryant

Connecticut

3.83/5  rDev -12.2%

Bottled on Date 12.11.09
Pours a clear light straw color with a small white head. Aroma is over the top great with citrus pine and grapefruit - a very delicious smelling brew. The taste doesnt quite live up to the smell , but I still think this is a good IPA. Mouthfeel on this one is slightly lighter than what I remember of PTE, but not watery.

I like an IPA a litter sweeter than this one - it has a dry finish and an a bitterness that I enjoy with some additional sweetness.

Medium to light carbonation . Drinkability is medium for me

02-05-2010 02:22:47 | More by alpinebryant
VWBuggirl

South Carolina

2.95/5  rDev -32.3%

So, I am sure many of you will disagree with me on this, but personally, I did not enjoy this beer. Though, I can understand why so many people enjoy it.

I never understood why smell was a category in these rating, but this beer is why! I have never smelled a drink that had such a great aroma. It has a very strong floral scent that I find refreshing.

The problem (for me) is that it has such an unpleasant bitterness to it that I couldn't enjoy it. I was quite disappointed, but as I said, I can understand why others enjoy it.

01-30-2010 08:18:36 | More by VWBuggirl
barrelman

4.28/5  rDev -1.8%

Looks clear and hazy amber with two fingers of creamy white head. And might I add, a beautifully shaped bottle.

Aroma comes off as a pretty simple hop character. None off the overly citrusy characteristics. Taste is nice piney hops with a suttle back off malt. Mouthfeel is bottle-conditioned perfection.

This beer is elegant in its simlpicity. Hops meeting barley malt, and stealing its girlfriend, but being nice about it. Good beer.

01-30-2010 01:12:03 | More by barrelman
Jeffo

Netherlands

3.68/5  rDev -15.6%

Found this at the Cracked Kettle in Amsterdam.

From a bottle into a snifter.

APPEARANCE: Pours a 2+ finger thicker looking white head with great retention. Perfectly clear with medium carbonation evident. Amber-orange in color when held to the light, though more gamboge when not. A good film remains until the end and leaves lots of lacing down the glass. Pretty nice looking.

SMELL: Pale malts with big grapefruit and mango notes all around. Very bold. Some hints of pine as well, but mostly citrus and mango hop notes.

TASTE: Pale malts again, but soon overwhelmed by citrus grapefruit and lots of pine flavors. More piney than the nose had indicated. Finishes with a mouthful of bitter hops and pine, which remain throughout the bold and long lasting aftertaste. Strong and bold hoppy flavors here, though a little heavier on the pine than I'd expected.

PALATE: Medium body and quite light and creamy on the palate. Goes down smooth and finishes quite astringent on the palate. This one is much more astringent and puckering than I'd like. Much more astringent than others in the style. Very off-putting, unfortunately.

OVERALL: Everything turned out nicely on this one, except the feel just did it in. The astringency made it difficult to drink and really hurt the overall enjoyment of the beer. Too bad, because all my other senses were definitely pleased with the situation. Won't be picking this one up again.

01-26-2010 20:52:40 | More by Jeffo
davedahl

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

A nice drinker if you have better access than I do in Chicago.

A light pour produces about 1/3 head for the pour. Straw yellow and hazy - non-chill haze. Aroma is all hops - primarily grassy and spicy. As you drink it down there's a nice sticky lace.

Taking a slug reveals this to clearly be an A-IPA (nicely non-imperial) but still very hop-dominant. Same hop tastes aroma but with some juicy (pink grapefruit?) citrus. But balanced with smooth malty backbone which keeps the edge off the hops.

The mouthfeel is clearly medium - very manageable for a bold IPA. Finish is slightly bitter/sweet (literally) but still light. Very drinkable - like I said above, if I had access I'd pound a few of these badboys in a sitting.

01-21-2010 23:56:09 | More by davedahl