Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Blind Pig IPABlind Pig IPA

Wants: 1,460
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blind Pig IPA Alström Bros
4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

Pours a hazy slightly orange golden color with a frothy white head that leaves chunks of lacing on the glass.

Smells of big hop aromas. Notes of tropical fruit, pine, and citrus abound.

Tastes of juicy delicious hops. Grapefruit and pine bitterness are most evident with some other pineapple and mango notes coming through. A good amount of bitterness hits first and is cut by a solid wave malt sweetness. Caramel malt makes its presence known adding its own flavors.

Mouthfeel is medium with a creamy amount of carbonation.

ocelot2500, Jun 10, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Teresa's - draft into standard pint glass
Pours a cloudy, golden amber with a two-finger white head which dissapates into a frothy coating. Lacing is abundant, lasting and beautiful. Nose is a mild hop aroma with some grassiness and pine and some citrus, especially oranges and grapefuit. Taste is a wonderful hop bitterness, oranges, grapefuit, pineapple, mango. Bitterness never leaves but never completely overcomes some sweetness in the back that holds as well. Mouthfeel is really interesting rough edges on a medium to light brew - great fun. Finish is somewhat dry and bitter but never too much. Drinkability at this reasonable ABV is guaranteed. I want another NOW.

regspeir, Jun 04, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -3.2%

Pours a pale gold with tons of off-white head. Some lacing.

Smell is mango, citrus, orange peel, grapefruit, and slightly sweet malts. The hop presence seems lessened when left unagitated. Some floral and piney hops at times too.

Taste is bitter grapefruit and orange peel upfront leading to a light caramel malt middle. Bitter finish of grapefruit and pine.

Light to medium body with medium carbonation and a slightly dry finish.

Overall of a solid IPA with a good hop presence and minimal malt.

sidetracked, May 29, 2010
4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

A: Hazy orange beer capped by a finger of microbubble foam.

S: Huge dominant citrus overwhelms most other scents. There is a malted presence but I cannot zero in on it.

T: The citrus comes through in tangerine and orange zest. Based on the smell, I was expecting a much different beer. I know this isn't a DIPA but it sure as heck smells like one. Still, medium bitterness and some sticky pine finish off the beer. Not too much to say about the malt profile. Some bready sweetness there but nothing to write home about.

M: A crisp and refreshing beer on a warm day such as today. Light bodied and a mild carbonation make this a wonderful brew. I could stand to see the body with a little more substance.

D: Yes, all day.

Lazerlobe, May 28, 2010
4.28/5  rDev -1.8%

Hazy orange amber, quite a lot of sediments. Medium-sized off-white head.

The aroma is of exotic fruits, mostly pineapple and mango, grass and mild tobacco notes. Very hoppy, not a whole lot of malts manage to get through.

The flavor is tightly held and centered around exotic fruit aromas, crisp citric hops and grass. Do I also pick up some elder flowers? Medium sweetness and notes of caramel in the background. The finish is slightly perfumy and very bitter with resiny hop notes.

Moderate body and quite a lot of carbonation.

Lovely IPA. Actually comes out as the Mini-Me of of Pliny the Elder.

ricke, May 27, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Poured from a 500ml bottle - Beer is a nice copper to gold bright beer. Very nice color for an IPA. Bone white head

Aroma - fantastic, very earthy, hints of fresh cut grass, and orange peel, and a very slight backround of pine trees. Very rounded hop aroma

Taste - Solid, at 6.1% this is a huge hop flavor beer. Sweet hop flavors of orange and sage, what a wonderfully drinkable IPA.

Mouthfeel - could not be better in my opinion for an IPA, mild body, finishes dry, but its not thin. It makes this an extremely drinkable IPA

Drinkability - I would love to have another, but I live on the east coast....oh well. Great beer

LukeD23, May 26, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +9.6%

A 1/2 liter of this nectar was poured at Hollingshead Deli.

It's a hop-hazy gold with the thick sticky head that mega-hoppy IPAs usually have.

Well, this one is only really about the hops so I guess I'll describe their flavor as best I can. They're big time piney with several varieties of citrus rind and pungent flowers just behind. As it warms more complexities come through (orange flesh, rosemary), but they are quickly scrubbed away by a firm, but not harsh, bitterness. The finish is very dry, which is the trademark characteristic that makes Vinnie's IPAs and DIPAs the World's best.

Hop nirvana. And with the lower ABV it's not unreasonable to a have a few.

bump8628, May 22, 2010

Bottle split Beerwolf77.

A- Pours a nice golden yellow with just the slightest of haze. Small lacing left from the half finger worth of head.

S- Some nice citrus hops to go along with a small amount of funk. A little bit of sweetness as well. It has an aftertaste similar to an orange lollipop.

T- Big grapefruit and some orange as well. A slight bready finish. Also some grassy notes.

M- Medium bodied with a fair amount of bitterness and a pretty dry finish. Good carbonation that tickles the tongue.

D- Good flavors and not an overwhelming bitterness makes this a good drinking beer. Another good beer from RR. I have yet to be disappointed.

Wisconsinality, May 21, 2010
4.9/5  rDev +12.4%

Appearance: deep golden color, white head lingers on and on, with each sip lacing leaves a tiger stripe on the glass. Picturesque!

Smell: punch in the face hop aroma, citrus, and pine.

Taste: big, big, big hop taste. Citrus, grapefruit some orange, and also some pine. Flavors are deep.

Mouthfeel: substantial coating.

Drinkability: if I could get my hands on this regularly I would be drinking it all the time. I liked this better than the elder. Yeah, I said it.

beersheppard, May 21, 2010
4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

Clear golden pour with an almost ideal head, looks beautiful as it slowly reduces to a nice lacey skin with clumps of froth on the surface and around the rim. Noseful of hoppy goodness.

Very hoppy, very bitter, yet much more drinkable than the over-the-top IPAs. It rides that edge, and even pushes it, but still I can drink a few of these, and I can't say that about a lot of the hop heavy brews.

Paired with a dry Jersey jack from Spring Hill farms in Petaluma. Pretty tasty combo.

andyfrancis, May 18, 2010
4.6/5  rDev +5.5%

A - Cloudy golden amber in color. A fair amount of sediment floating throughout. Very nice creamy and white head. Average lacing.

S - Pine mostly, undertones of citrus, a strong floral aroma.

T - An excellent bitter hops taste. Pine tones throughout, but I felt like the bitter taste lingers and stands out nicely.

M - lightly carbonated, yet balanced with the bitterness.

D - Highly drinkable, hits the spot, smooth yet unique.

malthegal, May 18, 2010

Thanks to arbitrator for throwing this extra in my box.

Split and poured into my pint glass the beer is a mostly clear orange amber. About one finger of white head dissapates leaving a smattering of lace.

The aroma is the usual AIPA. Citrus fruit and hints of pine. A touch of malt to give it balace. Nothing out of the ordinary.

The flavor is pretty stock AIPA. Citrus fruits and piney hops. Not a whole lot of malt to tone down the hops. Full on bitter blast.

Medium body light carbonation. Lightly sticky.

Overall a very nice easy drinking AIPA. I would buy this on a regular basis if it was easier to come by.

beerwolf77, May 18, 2010
4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

On tap at Toronado in SF, poured into a pint glass. Small head leaves some sticky, resinous, soapy lacing stuck to the side of the glass. Aroma is straight up pine and grapefruit. Taste follows suit, delicious hop bitterness, like Pliny toned down a notch. Any time Pliny is being used as a reference point, it's a damn good thing. Very easy to drink and totally delicious.

KickbacksSteve, May 17, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

Special thanks go out to calinalu for sending this as an extra in a recent trade. I cracked this out at beerman207's place at a recent tasting. Review is from notes taken on 5/14/2010 and poured from the bottle to a pint glass.

Appearance: Pour is a light coppery/golden orange color; starts with a short 1/2 finger white head that fades quickly to an uneven skim; body is a little cloudy and shows a metric ton of sediment floating throughout; lacing is between spots and a full curtain, depending on the side of the glass that you're looking at.

Smell: Very nice hoppiness -- juicy and bitter grapefruit and orange peel; quite strong and straight forward, gotta love a beer that just comes at you like this and lets you know exactly what it's going to be like from every facet.

Taste: Very nice, and again straightforward; very nice hop bitterness with excellent citric flavors of grapefruit and orange peel; a bit of juicy orange as well; very light malt backing that offers just enough balance to allow the hops to rule this beer without being all bitterness.

Mouthfeel: Nice body of light to moderate weight; carbonation is lively, but soft and foamy in the mouth and it really bubbles those awesome flavors throughout the mouth; very light and moderate stickiness left on the roof of the mouth and cheeks.

Drinkability: All damn day! This beer is great and I'm glad I finally got to try one. Great flavors, excellent smell, straightforward approach and a pretty moderate ABV would allow this to drank from dawn to dark, to dawn again.

bamadog, May 15, 2010
4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

A - Cloudy golden orange with a soapy two finger head that had good retention and left some great random looking lacing as it disappeared and throughout the course of the drink.

S - Piney with just a touch of citrus in the hops profile. It was only a touch sweet, but mostly bitter hops, nice.

T - Very good taste, bitter and slightly piney. There is a nice bitter resin taste thast keeps this from having too much pine taste. Just a slight malt back, enough to feel it.

M - The dissapointment in this beer, a bit undercarbonated for a mediumish IPA, but it finishes way too thin.

D - Great thirst quencher and highly drinkable, especially on a hot day or after physical activity.

AgentZero, May 14, 2010
3.9/5  rDev -10.6%

500ml bottle poured into my Russian River tulip...

Pours a nice, hazy golden orange with about two fingers of soft white head...some lacing is left behind...

Nice citrus fruit hop presence in the nose. Orange and grapefruit with a slight earthy/dry aroma...

Piny and citrusy, a bit more bitter and dry than expected. Not as resinous or sticky as expected either. Getting more of the earthy/piny dry bitterness than the sweet and oily fruity hop taste...a bit of malt pokes through, but overall this is a pretty one sided, dry hoppy IPA...

Medium bodied, a bit thinner than expected, slightly slick with decent carbonation...

Pretty good IPA, although I prefer the Alpine IPA's I recently tried...would drink again however.

hawks10, May 12, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

A- Nice golden light amber color with 2+ fingers of white head that later died to less than 1 finger head and left great lacing all over my glass.

S- Wow heavy citrus hops, mostly freshly cut grapefruit, almost a little of mango/pineapple sweet malt flavors on the back end.

T- Really similar to the smell, heavy citrus hops especially grapefruit followed by some slight mango flavors and slight malt flavors. Definately more of a one sided hop bomb, Pliny is more balanced.

M- Nice carbonation, medium body and tons of citrusy hoppy flavors throughout.

D- Very easy to drink, almost easier than Pliny because it has less of a malt prescence. Very nice beer, less balanced but nice.

Schmaltzy, May 10, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a golden-hued, dark sunset orange color with a bone-white head that crackles audibly and stays put for a good while.

Aroma is very much full-on citrus, although I don't detect a ton of malt. Both rind-like and resiny, it seems obvious this is a hop-wallop of an IPA. Let's see...

This is my second in two days, and both times I was a little disappointed. Maybe it's the hype behind this beer, but I found it to be a little lacking. Lacking malt presence/sweetness, precisely. While I absolutely love a ridiculously hopped beer, there seems a fine line between a seriously hop-centric beer and one that feels one-dimensional. This leans toward one-dimensional, but isn't entirely bad. My prevailing thought is "salt." This has a salty character that points to an under-usage of malt. The salt especially prevails in the finish. And that's bad. But its orange-y character is pleasing, as is the more general citrus attack.

Feel is slick and medium-bodied and bright...not creamy or all that round, but as the American IPA style goes, especially one from California, it's just about right.

I can enjoy this beer. It just lacks the depth of Russian River's better hop-centric sensation, Pliny the Elder (and Younger, for that matter, which I was lucky enough to have on tap once). Maybe a third bottle would convince me, or maybe I've just burnt myself out on killer West Coast IPAs during my stay here, but for now, I have to call it a tad overrated.

Metalmonk, May 09, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured 500mL bottle into my 21oz snifter with a bottled on date of April 16, 2010 (3 weeks old!!!). I love the Russian River 500mL bottles because they fit perfectly into my snifters with enough room for the head to show itself off.

A - Poured a nice golden yellow color with a solid 2 finger white to off white head that stuck around for a bit but dissipated into a speckled covering with the solid ring around the edges that gives off nice lacing all the way down. Nice tiny carbonation bubbles rise from the bottom throughout.

S - Grapefruit, grapefruit and more grapefruit followed by a bit of orangey/less invasive citrus. A bit of sweetness in the end.

T - I got a boner. This gives Pliny a run for it's money. Nice grapefruit bitterness up front that is complemented nicely with some sweetness. Not overwhelmingly bitter at all and very refreshing. My wife, who hates IPAs, took a sip and said, "I think that I could drink that, it tastes like grapefruit juice."

M - Wow. It is a nice crisp beer that should be the standard for IPAs. A bit sticky but it doesn't leave that coating that DIPAs tend to leave behind but this is not a DIPA so it's right on spot. Very clean as well.

D - Extremely drinkable. I could see drinking this all day on a nice hot summer day sitting on the back deck enjoying life.

HopNuggets, May 08, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours with a fluffy white head and slightly hazy amber color. Nice thick lacing envelops big citrus on the nose. Some faint grass/straw notes also on the nose with faint sweetness. Pretty bold hop character up front that fades on the back of the palate. some residual stickiness follows a slight fizzy feel. Excellent IPA that drinks pretty fast, especially when fresh.

WOTO97, May 06, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Bottle dated 4/16. Received as an extra, big thanks to SpdKilz for this one.

Appearance: Poured the color of natural honey with a slight haze to it. Sitting atop was a solid one and a half fingers of fizzy off-white head. It faded in to a thin layer before I could take my first sip, there was still enough to leave a couple small splotches of lacing down the glass. The head retention was definitely disappointing. The score here would have been even lower if the color wasn't so hypnotizing. It's strange, but in this light it almost looks like it's glowing.

Smell: This was the stand out category with this beer. As soon I popped the cap off I was hit with a strong blast of juicy grapefruit. It only intensified once I poured it into the glass. It's as if I just sliced open a nice, ripe grapefruit and jammed my nose directly into it. Behind that there are shades of pine and a hint of malt that manifests as sweet toffee.

Taste: After the wondrous aroma my expectations had certainly piqued. I have to say I was a bit let down here. The grapefruit is still here and it still has the same delicious fresh, juicy quality as the smell, it just happens to be toned down a couple notches. This allows more of the sweet malt to shine through. It's definitely a solid malt backbone. The resinous, flowery pine is also stronger and vies with the grapefruit for control of the hop character.

Mouthfeel: I'm experiencing a bit of a conundrum here. The body seems to be just a bit on the thin side for my liking. But at the same time it has a highly enjoyable stickiness and creaminess to it. If the body was just the slightest bit fuller this could have possibly been a perfect 5. But it's a major detractor for me.

Drinkability: If I wasn't reviewing this my glass would have been gone far too quickly, it's quite refreshing. It's definitely a very solid IPA. I could drink a few of them without my taste buds screaming for mercy from hop onslaught.

Overall I think this is a very, very good beer. However I've had better IPAs that are distributed locally. Two Hearted comes to mind immediately. But really I think this beer is it's own worst enemy. The smell was just absolutely bombastic. I like to take my time feeling out the aroma of a beer before taking a sip and I think that just set me up for a bit of a let down. Strange but true, at least for me.

DrDoitchbig, May 06, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

So many times on tap v. bottle, I'll give it the tap review. Great yellow and amber appearance, very clear surprisingly. Aroma is of great dry hopping.

Taste, big hops, light light malt. This is pine/citrus big time. Seems so light mouthfeel wise, just more piles of grapefruit and pine, some orange. More susceptible to the effects of aging than the Pliny series. Can get a heavier viscosity with age, but nonetheless still good. Otherwise, has a less than all malt sugar priming thing going for it to lighten the body, which is nice with this beer.

Good price, but I usually will spend it on PTE . . .

Beerandraiderfan, May 05, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours a golden honey color with faint hues of orange. Some sediment. There is about two fingers of loose white head that fall to a 1/8" with a nice amount of lacing.

Smells of oranges, tangerines, mango, papaya, pine, and love. Cannabaceae at its best. All this and the bottle Im drinking is over a month old; I cant wait to try a fresher one.

Lots of citrus flavors as well. Grapefruit and orange rind lead the way as tangerine and tropical fruits follow. A bit of a peppery bite on my tongue.

This is a lighter bodied IPA with the right amount of carbonation. It is a bit sticky. It leaves my tongue slightly numb.

This is as drinkable as any fine Lager. Lots of flavor but its still refreshing. This is one fine beer that is nicely balanced, almost perfect. I dont know where they get there water and hops at Russian River but this and their PTE are just amazing.

sitarist, May 05, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -6%

Bottled on 041610, so says the bottle. Pretty fresh so I am really excited to try this beer!
Pours a light colored orange/yellow color with a fluffy white head. Head settles down nicely and sits atop this great looking brew.
The aroma is of strong citrus and pine.
The first sip is smooth with a nice bite from the hops at the finish. Citrus rind is the prevalent bitterness with slight pine.
West Coast IPA's seem to have less body than those here in the midwest which is a nice change from most of the malty IPA's I find here. There is just something about them that makes them different than anything else, not better or worse, just different.
Good overall IPA.

kbutler1, May 05, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +14%

Delicious. Low alcohol for an IPA at 6.1% but full of flavor.

Refreshing hoppy taste; definatley representative of a CA IPA.

Love the sediment and the feel of the Ale.

Stands on its own, seperate from the other great beers of Russian River.

Purchased at Whole Foods in Thousands Oaks about 3 weeks in the bottle.

SenorBeaver, May 04, 2010