Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Blind Pig IPABlind Pig IPA

Wants: 1,485
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blind Pig IPA Alström Bros
3.78/5  rDev -13.3%

Pours a golden-hued, dark sunset orange color with a bone-white head that crackles audibly and stays put for a good while.

Aroma is very much full-on citrus, although I don't detect a ton of malt. Both rind-like and resiny, it seems obvious this is a hop-wallop of an IPA. Let's see...

This is my second in two days, and both times I was a little disappointed. Maybe it's the hype behind this beer, but I found it to be a little lacking. Lacking malt presence/sweetness, precisely. While I absolutely love a ridiculously hopped beer, there seems a fine line between a seriously hop-centric beer and one that feels one-dimensional. This leans toward one-dimensional, but isn't entirely bad. My prevailing thought is "salt." This has a salty character that points to an under-usage of malt. The salt especially prevails in the finish. And that's bad. But its orange-y character is pleasing, as is the more general citrus attack.

Feel is slick and medium-bodied and bright...not creamy or all that round, but as the American IPA style goes, especially one from California, it's just about right.

I can enjoy this beer. It just lacks the depth of Russian River's better hop-centric sensation, Pliny the Elder (and Younger, for that matter, which I was lucky enough to have on tap once). Maybe a third bottle would convince me, or maybe I've just burnt myself out on killer West Coast IPAs during my stay here, but for now, I have to call it a tad overrated.

Metalmonk, May 09, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +11.9%

Poured 500mL bottle into my 21oz snifter with a bottled on date of April 16, 2010 (3 weeks old!!!). I love the Russian River 500mL bottles because they fit perfectly into my snifters with enough room for the head to show itself off.

A - Poured a nice golden yellow color with a solid 2 finger white to off white head that stuck around for a bit but dissipated into a speckled covering with the solid ring around the edges that gives off nice lacing all the way down. Nice tiny carbonation bubbles rise from the bottom throughout.

S - Grapefruit, grapefruit and more grapefruit followed by a bit of orangey/less invasive citrus. A bit of sweetness in the end.

T - I got a boner. This gives Pliny a run for it's money. Nice grapefruit bitterness up front that is complemented nicely with some sweetness. Not overwhelmingly bitter at all and very refreshing. My wife, who hates IPAs, took a sip and said, "I think that I could drink that, it tastes like grapefruit juice."

M - Wow. It is a nice crisp beer that should be the standard for IPAs. A bit sticky but it doesn't leave that coating that DIPAs tend to leave behind but this is not a DIPA so it's right on spot. Very clean as well.

D - Extremely drinkable. I could see drinking this all day on a nice hot summer day sitting on the back deck enjoying life.

HopNuggets, May 08, 2010
4.13/5  rDev -5.3%

Pours with a fluffy white head and slightly hazy amber color. Nice thick lacing envelops big citrus on the nose. Some faint grass/straw notes also on the nose with faint sweetness. Pretty bold hop character up front that fades on the back of the palate. some residual stickiness follows a slight fizzy feel. Excellent IPA that drinks pretty fast, especially when fresh.

WOTO97, May 06, 2010
4.3/5  rDev -1.4%

Bottle dated 4/16. Received as an extra, big thanks to SpdKilz for this one.

Appearance: Poured the color of natural honey with a slight haze to it. Sitting atop was a solid one and a half fingers of fizzy off-white head. It faded in to a thin layer before I could take my first sip, there was still enough to leave a couple small splotches of lacing down the glass. The head retention was definitely disappointing. The score here would have been even lower if the color wasn't so hypnotizing. It's strange, but in this light it almost looks like it's glowing.

Smell: This was the stand out category with this beer. As soon I popped the cap off I was hit with a strong blast of juicy grapefruit. It only intensified once I poured it into the glass. It's as if I just sliced open a nice, ripe grapefruit and jammed my nose directly into it. Behind that there are shades of pine and a hint of malt that manifests as sweet toffee.

Taste: After the wondrous aroma my expectations had certainly piqued. I have to say I was a bit let down here. The grapefruit is still here and it still has the same delicious fresh, juicy quality as the smell, it just happens to be toned down a couple notches. This allows more of the sweet malt to shine through. It's definitely a solid malt backbone. The resinous, flowery pine is also stronger and vies with the grapefruit for control of the hop character.

Mouthfeel: I'm experiencing a bit of a conundrum here. The body seems to be just a bit on the thin side for my liking. But at the same time it has a highly enjoyable stickiness and creaminess to it. If the body was just the slightest bit fuller this could have possibly been a perfect 5. But it's a major detractor for me.

Drinkability: If I wasn't reviewing this my glass would have been gone far too quickly, it's quite refreshing. It's definitely a very solid IPA. I could drink a few of them without my taste buds screaming for mercy from hop onslaught.

Overall I think this is a very, very good beer. However I've had better IPAs that are distributed locally. Two Hearted comes to mind immediately. But really I think this beer is it's own worst enemy. The smell was just absolutely bombastic. I like to take my time feeling out the aroma of a beer before taking a sip and I think that just set me up for a bit of a let down. Strange but true, at least for me.

DrDoitchbig, May 06, 2010
4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

So many times on tap v. bottle, I'll give it the tap review. Great yellow and amber appearance, very clear surprisingly. Aroma is of great dry hopping.

Taste, big hops, light light malt. This is pine/citrus big time. Seems so light mouthfeel wise, just more piles of grapefruit and pine, some orange. More susceptible to the effects of aging than the Pliny series. Can get a heavier viscosity with age, but nonetheless still good. Otherwise, has a less than all malt sugar priming thing going for it to lighten the body, which is nice with this beer.

Good price, but I usually will spend it on PTE . . .

Beerandraiderfan, May 06, 2010
4.7/5  rDev +7.8%

Pours a golden honey color with faint hues of orange. Some sediment. There is about two fingers of loose white head that fall to a 1/8" with a nice amount of lacing.

Smells of oranges, tangerines, mango, papaya, pine, and love. Cannabaceae at its best. All this and the bottle Im drinking is over a month old; I cant wait to try a fresher one.

Lots of citrus flavors as well. Grapefruit and orange rind lead the way as tangerine and tropical fruits follow. A bit of a peppery bite on my tongue.

This is a lighter bodied IPA with the right amount of carbonation. It is a bit sticky. It leaves my tongue slightly numb.

This is as drinkable as any fine Lager. Lots of flavor but its still refreshing. This is one fine beer that is nicely balanced, almost perfect. I dont know where they get there water and hops at Russian River but this and their PTE are just amazing.

sitarist, May 05, 2010
4.1/5  rDev -6%

Bottled on 041610, so says the bottle. Pretty fresh so I am really excited to try this beer!
Pours a light colored orange/yellow color with a fluffy white head. Head settles down nicely and sits atop this great looking brew.
The aroma is of strong citrus and pine.
The first sip is smooth with a nice bite from the hops at the finish. Citrus rind is the prevalent bitterness with slight pine.
West Coast IPA's seem to have less body than those here in the midwest which is a nice change from most of the malty IPA's I find here. There is just something about them that makes them different than anything else, not better or worse, just different.
Good overall IPA.

kbutler1, May 05, 2010
4.97/5  rDev +14%

Delicious. Low alcohol for an IPA at 6.1% but full of flavor.

Refreshing hoppy taste; definatley representative of a CA IPA.

Love the sediment and the feel of the Ale.

Stands on its own, seperate from the other great beers of Russian River.

Purchased at Whole Foods in Thousands Oaks about 3 weeks in the bottle.

SenorBeaver, May 04, 2010
4.78/5  rDev +9.6%

Chilled bottle into a glass. It's tough to find this thing fresh anymore, so I was pleased as punch to see a 4/16/10 bottling date.

A: Pours a chill-hazed apricot-gold body with a finger of off-white head. Retention is long enough to release aromatics, then the head vanishes into a fluffy collar and leaves tendrils of lace behind.

S: Holy Citrus Bomb, Batman! Pineapple, lemon, orange, grapefruit. I don't pick up any malt besides a general sweetness in the nose.

T: As above, there's only a general sweetness that suggests a malt backbone; nothing overt. Instead, this is a lupulin showcase from start to finish. I love citrus hop flavors, and this one delivers in spades: pineapple, lemon, grapefruit, orange zest. There's an undercurrent of floral hops as well.

M: Medium-bodied, with medium carbonation. While it has a light lingering bitterness, it's not as oily as other IPAs. For the style, it's very clean.

D: It's too bad this is harder to find fresh than Pliny the Elder. I'll definitely get it again fresh.

Arbitrator, May 03, 2010

Had on-tap at Henry's in Portland, OR. Unfortunately, it was poured into a pint glass ;)

appearance - poured a nice amber with good lacing, decent foamy head that settled quickly

smell - fresh and aromatic citrus and pine hops

taste - resinous and citric pine hops with an excellent malt balance

mouthfeel - medium body with good texture, excellent level of carbonation

drinkability - prominent hop taste that is flavorful and enjoyable

djbreezy, May 02, 2010
4.22/5  rDev -3.2%

Thanks to pastradul
Poured into my Spiegelau tulip glass
Bottled 041310

A - golden amber, bordering on straw colored, fingers worth off tiny bubbly white pillowy head, good long lacing developing at the start

S - navel orange, tangerine, some fresh cut grass/fresh hops

T- malt base barely shows (sweet, caramel, nectar like), a cornucopia of citrus flavors, nice and dry finish

M - high carbonation, light side of medium bodied

D - highly drinkable, no alcohol present, balance leans towards hops as it should, but not overbearing

wchesak, May 02, 2010
3.7/5  rDev -15.1%

Poured a 500 mL bottle (dated 03/01/2010) into an oversized red wine glass to capture the aroma.
A: Golden amber with a dense creamy white head that slowly died to a good film and collar that had constant bubbles slowly running up the middle.
S: Bright citrus and piney hops with a bready, earthy sweet malt. There is some subtle blackberry and banana characteristics.
T: A strange rustic twang and bitterness, with the hops leafy like spinach. There is a sweet bread backbone and a subtle but lingering resiny hops with very light blackberry flavor.
M: Somewhat syrupy with a frothy carbonation and dry afterfeel.
D: Pretty good for the style.

ne0m00re, Apr 30, 2010

Thanks chickencoop
Bottle dated 1/13/2010

Leave it to Russian River to impress me once again, this is one of the best IPAs I have ever had, even with a few months on the bottle.

The nose just has tons of citrus; wet, bright, and fruity. Hops are just as wonderfully pungent in the taste as well, but pale malts do appear to balance everything out. Hops dominate, though. This is just a well crafted IPA, great all around.

M: Medium body, prickly carbonation.

D: Tasty, "only" 6%.... Quite drinkable.

zoolzoo, Apr 28, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Somehow I've never gotten to try this yet. Not sure how with all the Russian River stuff I've traded for. Finally got this thanks to RaulMatisse. Bottled on 01/13/10 so not too fresh but fresh enough.

A: Pouring into oversized snifter yields a large 1.5 finger fluffy airy head that slowly fades over the very hazy and even slightly chunkified orange nectar color.

N: Despite a couple months on it the nose is loaded with fresh musty wet hops and dry hops. Tons of pine, citrus, some grapefruit, sweet floral and fruity hops. And that's about wraps her all up, fresh sweet delicious smelling hops.

T: Oh yeah, tooons of grapefruit and pine, citrus hops, some slight chewy earthy hop taste. Pretty bitter but not overwhelming. Very juicy and tasty too. I can see that the hops have faded ever so slightly in the taste more than the aroma, but it's still delicious. A very very slight malty base, but mostly just fresh tasty hops. As it sits on the tongue I get more of the fresh musty wet hops as well. A little bit of a hop oil taste even.

M: Medium body with tons of carbonation, even a slight oily hop feel.

F: Pretty bitter still, it seems to just hold strong at a nice bitter taste the whole time, and with that on the finish it dries quite a bit. It leaves a very fresh dry hop taste in the mouth as it dries, like I just steeped fresh hops in it and took a slurp from the hoppy slur. Lots of pine and hop resins on the finish and some citrus. A very tasty beer, brings you all over the hop map, good parts at least. Worthy of the hype, or better than the lack thereof at least. Not quite as good as Pliny though.

jlindros, Apr 23, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

I have had this beer maybe 10 times, 3 bottles, 7 on tap. I have overall preferred this to Pliny the Elder. Generally the beer has a very bright pine and citrus nose, and more of the same on as the taste. It is usually a nice clear orange and very good drinkability. The latest batch seemed a bit harsh on the back of the tongue, a bit of a surprise to the usual smoothness and dryness in the finish. The smell is really the best feature. Beautiful. Although I'm starting to wonder if RR has changed some things in their beers in 2010, or if it's my palate that is changing.

squaremile, Apr 21, 2010
4.03/5  rDev -7.6%

A: Light orange in color, with a slight haze. About a 1/4" of thick, tight, white head with decent retention and lacing.

S: Citrus. Grapefruit.

T: Light malt. Dry. And a good dose of grapefruit bitterness.

M: Medium in weight, slightly chewy with carbonation on the higher side.

D: A good beer, but nothing overly impressive or distinctive. I imagine I would drink it if it were more readily available, but, as is, its not worth the effort in obtaining.

Florida9, Apr 17, 2010
3.98/5  rDev -8.7%

Acquired thanks to ipa247.

Pours a nice golden/orange color, with a massive head, 2+ cm, even with a gingerly pour. Looks loose and billowy. A cloud of haze descends on the beer, perhaps leaving a little bit of chunky yeast in suspension. Overall, nice looking. Also leaves some very sticky lacing. The smell is that floral, citrus hoppiness. Lemon rinds, grapefruit rinds, some leaves and pollen, resins. Pretty good. The taste starts out with a little citrus bitterness, then follows with a kind of powdery sweetness. There is some malt here! But the hops are definitely winning, comes on like citrus rind, then you start to get the fruitiness, and a bit of pine and resin. Definitely a West Coast IPA, without question. Finshes dry and a bit grassy, but not overly so on either account. A nice beer. My biggest complaint would be the thin body. It is surprisingly thin bodied, not like watery, but there's no real stickiness to it, just a nice kind of denser than water feeling. The carbonation is lively, quite so, but doesn't sting too much. The beer is very good, one that would probably become a staple of my fridge if I were just a few thousand miles closer to the brewery. I found myself coming back to it, over and over, to have a little more. If only I could get it a week old, instead of a month old, though life could be much worse.

taylorhamrick, Apr 16, 2010
4.58/5  rDev +5%

My first Russian River beer. I've been waiting a while for this. Bottle date is 3-1-10. Much thanks to rmjavanut for the great extra! Things start off good. Pours orange with a nice, rocky white head. Eventually reduces down to a cap and leaves some decent lacing. Lots of carbonation bubbles and a little bit of sediment on the first pour, lots of it on the 2nd. The smell is excellent, very tropical and hoppy. Hops, citrus, pineapple, mango. Definitely reminds me of Sculpin, maybe even more potent. The taste doesn't quite live up to the nose but this is still a very good IPA. There is still some tropical-ness there but it seems to be mainly citrus and grapefruit. The balance of the hops and malts is perfect. A caramel/bread aftertaste starts to show towards the end. The mouthfeel is very good as well, light but creamy, no alcohol taste, great carbonation level, very easy drinking and enjoyable. This is what I expected and maybe a bit more. I have a PtE waiting for me, hopefully I can hold off till tomorrow...

Chico1985, Apr 14, 2010
4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

Reviewing from last months notes. Bottled on 1/13/10. Poured into a SA Perfect Pint glass. Thanks to Sideswipe for the trade

A: Pours a golden hue with lots of visible carbonation. Initial pour leaves a two finger white head. Some lacing is left as I drink the glass

S: Huge hop nose. Wow, very nice. There is some bready malt, but really, I can't smell much other then the hops

T: Not quite as nice as the nose would lead you to believe. Still, very good hop presence, with the accompanying grapefruit/citrus blend

M: Medium bodied. Slight bitterness on the tongue, dry finish

D: Very good IPA, but ultimately nothing that stands out for me. Standard west coast style IPA in my opinion

Brez07, Apr 13, 2010
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Pours a nice amber color, with a nice, big white head. I remember drinking this beer years ago (early '90s) at the old Blind Pig brewery, although details from those days escape me. This one smells strongly of hops...beautiful floral/grassy/citrusy hops. More floral hoppiness on the palate, balanced nicely by the sweet malt presence. Not sure how similar this one is to the original, but it is certainly a worthy legacy.

emmasdad, Apr 13, 2010
3.78/5  rDev -13.3%

Copper-gold pour with a big, rocky, white head. Nice floral, citrus aroma with a great balance of caramel and biscuit malts. Dry, piny, grassy flavor with nice citrus notes and a well balanced biscuit and caramel malt profile. Creamy, medium body with very soft carbonation.

punkrkr27, Apr 13, 2010
4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Just over a month bottling, in a DFH snifter.

A- Honey colored, with nice two finger head. Head sticks around for awhile and has a very nice appearance.
S- Pungent hoppy citrus with resiny undertones.
T- Citrus, possibly orange with a creamy bitter finish
M- Amazing.Great creamy light and refreshing feeling.
D- Extremely drinkable. Great lawnmower beer, imo.

bpfishback, Apr 12, 2010

A - Pours a cloudy ice tea color with a 1 inch white head that fades to a small cap. Lacing is excellent on this beer, and it left rings all the way down my glass.

S - The only smells I get from this beer are citrus zest and pine tree from the hops.

T - Huge hops taste but the bitterness wasn't as extreme as I expected. Citrus/pine flavors.

M - Beer has good carbonation with a very crisp taste.

D - This is a very drinkable beer for how hoppy it smelled. It only leaves a slight bitter aftertaste. Great example of this style.

UCLABrewN84, Apr 11, 2010
4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

From a bottle to a tulip.

The color is a coppery golden yellow with an amazing white head.

Smell is in your face. If you havent had this I hope one day you know the feeling. Smells of lychee, grapefruit, pine, and deliciousness....

The taste has a great hoppy bitterness in the back of the mouth. A touch of citrus and sweetness underneath the hops. A damn near perfect IPA. Best i've had to date.

Overall...go and get it because if you havent had it you are missing out.

spoons, Apr 11, 2010
4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

Bottle to pint glass.

Pours a hazy gold color with a hint of orange in the middle. Fat two finger white rocky head. Chunks of lacing left behind.

Really nice hop blast in the nose. Citrus fragrance of orange peel. Also, dank and pine. Some sweet malts.

Taste is citrusy with orange peel, lemon and grapefruit. Bitter resin and some minty pine as well. A bit of sweet malts.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied, pretty well carbonated. It is smooth and creamy as well. Russian River IPAs have such great mouthfeel.

Really drinkable.