Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Blind Pig IPABlind Pig IPA

Wants: 1,460
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blind Pig IPA Alström Bros

On-tap at TJ's in Paoli; served in a pint

The long awaited Blind Pig.

Appeared a golden orange with a slight murkiness to the body. An orange infused off-white head sat about two fingers and left thin sheets of lacing all the way down the glass.

Huge pine and citrus nose. Grapefruits, pineapples, apricots and mangoes with fresh pine needles on a sweet toasted malt backbone. A very fresh and bright hop aroma.

Wow. Same as the nose. Bright, fresh citrus and pine needles with every sip. Oily hop resin finish. Overall on the sweet side, but does not drop the bitter hammer like I expected and wanted.

Creamy, chewy hop mouthfeel. Big and lush. I can almost feel myself chewing on hops. Slick, resiny aftertaste.

I honestly could drink this guy everyday all day. I just wish it was more readily available.

ColForbinBC, Jan 05, 2009

More impressed with this beer, not sure if it was fresher from bottle than from the keg i reported a while back. couple people preferred this to the Pliny. Pliny I thought blew it away. more IBU's in this? seemed to have an edgier bitter finish. nice nose. not sure if the price on this is much less than pliny, alc is much less, maybe go for this when looking for a lower alc beer. 4.0 across the board

paytoplay, Jan 03, 2009
3.75/5  rDev -14%

500ml bottle poured in to a large chalice. Bottled on 09/05/08.

Pours a copper color with white fluffy head and residuals floating throughout. Medium carbonation. Sticky lacing left behind as the beer is drank. Smells of sugary malts and a light smell of fruity hops. Earthy, leathery malts complimented by a mild citrusy/fruity hops flavor. Mild bitter aftertaste. Light mouth feel with medium/low carbonation. I could definitely drink several of these beers. Overall I was fairly surprised how mild this beer was. After all, the label describes the beer as "...a bold IPA packed full of hop aroma, flavor, and bitterness." I didn't get this. Maybe I got a bad bottle or maybe because I drank it 119 days after it was bottled? Who knows? Not what I expected but still a good beer overall.

BeerStine, Jan 02, 2009
4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

I know Vinnie is not a big believer in "aged" IPA's, and generally I tend to agree with him. However, I recently came across this beer at my "home town" Market of Choice in West Linn, a store notorious for not rotating its stock in a timely manner. This particular bottle of Blind Pig was dated 7/29/08.

The beer pours a protypical peachy orange color with good head retention and lacing. On the nose, what can one say? This is IPA perfection. The beer has an incredible nose of wet tobacco, earth, allspice and hoppy bitterness. On the palate, this beer is off the charts. Maybe it's because the alcohol is so low (relatively), but this beer has not gained any malty sweetness, which is a typical problem for IPA's that have some bottle age. Instead.... this beer has flavors of fuji apple, wet tobacco, wet earth and a hint of cinnamon. As with the fresh version, the finish is just unbelievably dry and bitter.

IMO, a bit of bottle age has given this beer an element of complexity that the fresh version does not have. Not that there's anything wrong with fresh Blind Pig, but I'm amazed at the subtle flavor difference the beer seems to have undergone with some bottle age. Very, very impressive.

Mouthfeel is pretty light and drinkability is exceptional. As good as it gets when it comes to domestic IPA's. Excellent stuff.

John_M, Jan 02, 2009
4.13/5  rDev -5.3%

I heard raves about Russian River and now I know why. Very nice for its style. Hoppy taste, almost like juniper berries, but still drinkible. Color and smell are both outstanding. I had to go to San Deigo to find it as none of the Vegas stores carry it.

ScottCoffee, Jan 01, 2009
4.58/5  rDev +5%

Very light amber-yellow colored pour with a big fluffy head that evaporates rapidly. Heavy citrus aroma, mainly grapefruit and a little malt. Very dry, much more so than Pliny the Elder. Nearly as good as that beer though, another huge winner from Russian River.

Wackyfoot, Jan 01, 2009
4.6/5  rDev +5.5%

This is the first beer I ordered through the mail - from South Bay Drugs in Imperial Beach CA.

A very impressive IPA!!! Poured into my Weeping Radish Brewery pint glass. Pours a dark gold, completely clear, with a good size white head. Good head retention and heavy ladder like lacing.

Smell is of strong floral hops.

Tastes great!!! Based on the smell, I was expecting a fairly harsh floral hops taste with strong bitterness (fine for me because I am a hophead). The floral hops were there but the taste and mouthfeel were almost pillow-like soft and smooth....like the IPA counterpart to a Helles lager. There is hoppiness and bitterness but the overall effect on the tongue and palate is soft. Mouthfeel is a hair light but the combination of taste and soft feel more than make up for this.

Drinkability is awesome. I could swill this all night!!! A pity this is not available here in Virginia. A truly great beer.

JayQue, Dec 30, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

500 ml bottle poured into a tumbler. Consumed on Christmas Eve day.

A - Careful pour yields a frothy 2-finger head with good retention and sticky lacing down the glass. Light copper color with lots of suspended material.

S - Citrusy and piney hops along with light biscuity malt. Grapefruit is prominent. Smells fresh.

T - Piney hops up front then becoming more citrusy and floral. Faint but sweet malt presence. Finishes dry with a lingering bitterness. Balance is to my liking for an IPA.

M - Medium bodied with moderate carbonation. On the lighter-side for an IPA which I like.

D - Very high. I could easily drink a 6er. Among the most drinkable IPAs I've tried.

I wish I had a Racer 5 to compare this to but it seemed comparable. If this were available to me it would be a welcome addition to my IPA rotation.

b3barron, Dec 29, 2008
3.63/5  rDev -16.7%

Fresh bottle

Appearance: Bright golden straw, crisp and clear - radiant and bright. It might glow in the dark. Great head and lacing.

Smell: Delicious hops, citrus, pine, apricot, grapefruit, resin & oils. Very strong aroma, you can smell it across the room. Perhaps a bit too bitter

Taste: Crisp and sharp; although something about the bitterness bothers me

Mouthfeel: Creamy; carbonation is perhaps a bit too aggressive.

Drinkability: Goes down easy enough; but somthing off about the newer batches I have had as compared to two years ago or so.

craytonic, Dec 29, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +5.5%

bottled 10/22/08, poured 12/28, .5L bottle. this has been showing up on tap quite a bit here in Philly over the past several months, and I've been totally impressed. In fact I'll take this over Elder (which has been on tap here with even more frequency) just about any day. As one beloved corporation would say this beer is all about drinkability (ok ok I'm sorry). I'm glad to finally be sitting down and putting some thought into this experience. Anyways, the pour grows into a finger high blanket of dense creamy head, which slowly erodes back into my pint glass, leaving behind a nice coat of sticky looking lace. hazy and golden...

s: each inward breath through my nose is a near nasal orgasm, mostly due to my surprise at the big smells this beer emits. Dominated by tropical fruits - tangerines, a hint banana, green melon. But a bit of darker fruits are showing up also. The undertones of the earthy herbal piney stink weed become incredibly pronounced as the Pig warms. Exceptional would sum it up.

T: The taste is a bit slow up front...starts light and gentle with the citric acidity of OJ, opens into a hint of malty sweetness which metamorphoses into an explosion of liquid pine cones as the beer goes down. Yes this is what I have been waiting for, my throat is electrified with sticky floral hop goodness. By the time Pig is in my gullet my tongue and throat have been bombarded with this utterly superior floral bitterness and again the word orgasm comes to mind. And thats that... I can only think of only a few IPA's I've tasted that have been more impressive.

MF: crisp bright and light on the front of the mouth but leaves a sticky coating in my throat. This Pig can do tricks; its definitely doing double duty and wearing lipstick...the MF is an almost unbeatable example for the style.

D: There's probably a rule against mentioning AB twice during a RR review so I'll just shutup and say that it is almost certainly the best drinking IPA I've had in years, if not ever.

Philabeerphia, Dec 29, 2008
4.72/5  rDev +8.3%

Aroma: Huge, clear citrusy hop nose. Floral hop aromatics all over the place. Light sweet maltiness in the background but this bad boy is all about the hop.

Appearance: Brilliantly clear and effervescent with a sticky, sudsy white cap.

Flavor: Citrus, lemon zest, bittering hop resins, no malt base to speak of. Finish is dry and clean. It is amazingly smooth for being all hops.

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied, medium carbonation, and dry. No alcohol heat is present.

Overall impression: A classic West Coast IPA. This is clean and sharp. Truly a treat to cherish.

mattcrill, Dec 29, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +2.1%

I poured from a 500 ml bottle into a tulip glass. It pours a golden yellow with a thick, lucious, white head. The head has nice staying power and leaves beutiful lacing. The aroma is of pine potpouri. Like any good IPA the taste is heavy on pine notes. The resin in this one coats your tongue and stays around for a while. There is a malty backbone that lets it have some balance. This pig is medium bodied with decent carbonation. It goes down very nice. Probably the best IPA I have had, it is a DIPA with a lower ABV.

bonkers, Dec 28, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

A - Golden delicious with a white head that lingers and lacing as if it were Victorian curtains.

S - Floral hops and more Floral hops

T - Floral Hops. Perfect blend of hops and malt. Well balanced for how HOPPY this IPA is.

M - Medium bodied very easy to drink.

D - I had two of these at the brewpub without effort. Goes down so smooth.

xhcadamx, Dec 27, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

A- pours a really nice inch or so head yellow with a nice slight white head with lots of lacing
S- ripe citrus,some pine fresh hops, more hops, very fresh and inviting
T- really smooth, the tastes is nice, im supristed its not in the double IPA category, the hops are all over the place, some light grapefruit notes
M- nice carbonation , really refreshing, just a great west coast IPA
D- very very good, def bluring the DIPA line, but a very low abv

a really really solid west coast IPA i will reach for this one again for sure! exactly how a west coast IPA should taste. well done!

gdfan47, Dec 22, 2008
4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

This is how you do an IPA. Hell, there's more going on in this IPA than in most DIPAs on the market.

While "appearance" probably rates last on the list of qualities I look for in a beer, I think this is a beautiful beer. It's a nice golden color, and pours with a pretty decent head and a good amount of carbonation.

Smell and taste go hand and hand here. This is a very hoppy IPA that is just overloaded with piney/citrusy goodness. The malt does it's job as quietly and subtlety as possible. Good, I say! I'm tired of over-malted IPAs and DIPAs.

Drinkability? Well, the bottle tells you not to store it, and I'm happy to oblige...

Sandstone, Dec 21, 2008
4.38/5  rDev +0.5%

Poured chilled into my imperial pint glass.

A: Pours a light amber with a smallish white head. Very nice clarity. Head thins out fairly quickly. Nice lacing.

S: Initial smell reveals nice grapefruity hops, some pine as well. The malts are there, but the hope dominate the nose. Very nice.

T: Wow, the hops are right there in the front. Very similar taste to what I smell. The sweet malts are there just enough to balance things out, but the hops are the star of this show! Very tasty.

M: Very nice mouthfeel. Nice slick hoppy goodness. Proper level of carbonation, just right thickness.

D: This beer defines drinkability. Goes down so easily. Too bad this is my only one, but I will enjoy it thoroughly!

Packforever1976, Dec 21, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Blind Pig, pours out beautifully. Cloudy lemon peel yellow body, with shades of orange highlights. Ample carbonation, head, and retention.

Aroma is very assertive, with notes of grapefruit, zesty lemon, and pine. Top notch aroma.

Wow, this beer is amazingly tasty.
Nice and zesty upfront. Notes of tangy sour grapefruit, zesty lemon, hints of orange, resinous pine, and perfumy florals.
All while pushed up against a solid bready malt backbone.

This is the epitome of perfection in a West Coast IPA. The hop profile is top notch, and the drinkability is off the charts.

Blind Pig just nails it.
A must try.

HoustonTX, Dec 20, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

I went to the local New Seasons market to buy Pliny the Elder and found the Blind Pig as an additional surprise. Hadn't seen this one in the stores here before, and gladly picked up a couple.

A pour into an oversized snifter yields a 1.5 finger bright white head that slowly fades into just a skim of white. Clear, light orange color. Nice lacing. A handsome beer- hope it tastes as good as it looks.

Very nice nose. Lots of hops, of course, but also floral aromas and a bit of toasted something or other. The hops smell fresh and inviting.

The first sip is a shock of piney hops, but after a couple of sips, the other flavors come out to play. Lots of citrus- tangy grapefruit, but also sweet orange and tangerine. A bit of bready malt backbone, and the hops stick around for a rather dryish and sticky finish. Quite a bit going on here, and I enjoyed it all.

For all those abrasive hop flavors, the mouthfeel is surprisingly smooth. What a well put-together beer. I am thoroughly enjoying this, and could definitely see drinking this as a session beer.

Overall impression: This is a damned fine beer, a nice representation of the style. Well worth the 4 bucks for a pint bottle.

PDXHops, Dec 18, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks to 0110x0110 via SS08 for this one. Been waitin a long time. Bottled on date of 090508 so this one is super fresh.

Pours from the 500ml bottle into an imperial pint glass a fairly clear (I was sure to keep the sediment in the bottle on the first pour), golden orange color with a sizeable white head. The head is about two fingers and stiff, then decreases to one finger and becomes more compact and stiff like that of stiffened egg whites. Perfect!

Aroma is full of citrusy hops. I really dig the nose here. Some of the "IPAs" I have had recently were too malty but this one seems to be right up my alley. Grapefruit and orange peel with plenty of lemon and a touch of grass.

Very nice flavor indeed. The hop flavor hits the tongue immediately and is followed by a crisp hop bite. Very fruity hops; orange, lemon, grapefruit. A touch of sweetness in the backbone but the hops are the main attraction here. My only concern is the bit of metal in the aftertaste. Slightly solventlike as well.

Just about the perfect amount of bitterness. Finishes very dry and cleanses the palate. Good carbonation as well. Thin on the feel as well but that doesnt matter all that much here. An easy quaffer.

A wonderful brew. Thanks Matt for the chance to have this one.

SaCkErZ9, Dec 17, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -7.1%

A - pours with golden color with light head.

S - fruit/floral aromas.

T - very malty with some hops. not as much hops as I was expecting.

M - just right. slightly syurpy, but still thin.

D - highly drinkable. good balance, but i would like more hop presence.

easement, Dec 17, 2008
3.93/5  rDev -9.9%

Tap @ O'Brien's. Pours clear gold with a nice white head. Floral hop aroma, some pine, and just a little grapefruit. Sharp hop taste up front, resin flavors dominating the citrus, with a caramel back. Overall, a great IPA with strong hop flavors but with a light body.

magictrokini, Dec 16, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

Some of these reviews mad e me laugh and some made me cry - but on with the beer.

Served at about 40 degrees or so. Poured a light golden amber into my Harpoon .5L IPA glass. A huge head rises and slowly settles with tons of lace.

Aroma is strong toward the citrus with almost a floral sweetness - very nice considering it is 2 months old.

Hits the mouth quite smooth and then a roll of citrus sweet malts usher in the carbonation - which in turn, rolls the bitterness across the tongue. A silky dry and bitter finish leaves you wanting more for sure.

What a nice IPA. May not be as mind blowing as some claim - at least according to my taste buds - but quite a nice drinker and quite a good IPA.

gpcollen1, Dec 16, 2008
4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

Poured from a 500ml bottle (bottled on 7/23/08) into a pint glass. It was a hazy golden color with a tinge of orange and tons of tiny yeast bits floating around. It had a carb fountain in the center and great lacing. It had a finger and a half of white head that slowly, slowly dissipated into a thick foam that was constantly fed by the carb. The bottle strongly encourages you to drink fresh and not let age. I checked a couple places and this was the freshest I could find in Denver during my trip so hopefully still a good example.

The aroma was excellent. Classic IPA aroma with strong citric and floral hops. Good balance as they were not too overpowering. Did open up the sinuses after a couple deep whiffs. The taste was also classic IPA. Starts out smooth with a really pleasing taste and then right at the end you get the hop hit. Again, well balanced and stays shy of a hop bomb which makes this one very drinkable. Not a session beer but I can definitely drink a whole one and still have use of my tongue at the end unlike some the hop bomb tongue shredders. Mouthfeel excellent with clean start, hop bite and then quick reset.

Overall, an excellent beer that I'm glad I finally got to try. Well worth the hype. Another great one from RRBC which is quickly becoming one of my favorite brewers. Highly recommend and it's worth the effort to get.

Earned a permanent spot on my wants list.

TexIndy, Dec 15, 2008
3.88/5  rDev -11%

A very good, citrusy IPA of the west coast variety. I enjoyed it very much. Appearance was golden, with moderate head and good retention. Smell was fantastic, like raw hops. Man I love that smell. Taste was slightly piney, and a little grapefruit. Mouthfeel was moderate, not super heavy or light. Drinkability was very good, I could drink 6 of these quite easily.

freeeekyyy, Dec 14, 2008
4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

My last bottle of Blind Pig. Thanks to Nanoslug for this one. 500ml bottle dated from July - I'd expect fresher to be even better. (I'll try to draw on my memory of the bottle I had a few months ago to supplement this review)

A - Murky amber color, almost like unfiltered apple juice. One finger of creamy white head that dissipates quickly into a nice bubbly lace. Still some carbonation that is quickly rising to the top.

S - There's still hop bitterness, even after all these months. Floral pine and citrus hints galore, and a healthy amount of malty sweetness. Smell is a 4 right now, but was a 4.5 when this was fresher. Not going to punish this brew for waiting to long on it (I was saving it to share with my brother-in-law).

T - Starts sweet - lots of citrus and light malt at the head. The bitterness comes in at the back of my palate and lingers in the aftertaste, but it's not overwhelmingly bitter. Very well balanced. I'm wondering if the on-tap version has greater complexity that has dissipated over the last few months.

M - Resiny, smooth, creamy, with the perfect density. It's refreshing but not watery. Carbonation complements the hop bitterness by tickling the palate.

D - I could drink it all day if I could find it. 6% is imperceptible, and I love the 500ml serving size.

I've gotta get this on tap at some point - while watcing a ballgame or something.

MasterSki, Dec 13, 2008