Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Blind Pig IPABlind Pig IPA

Wants: 1,460
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blind Pig IPA Alström Bros
4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

My last bottle of Blind Pig. Thanks to Nanoslug for this one. 500ml bottle dated from July - I'd expect fresher to be even better. (I'll try to draw on my memory of the bottle I had a few months ago to supplement this review)

A - Murky amber color, almost like unfiltered apple juice. One finger of creamy white head that dissipates quickly into a nice bubbly lace. Still some carbonation that is quickly rising to the top.

S - There's still hop bitterness, even after all these months. Floral pine and citrus hints galore, and a healthy amount of malty sweetness. Smell is a 4 right now, but was a 4.5 when this was fresher. Not going to punish this brew for waiting to long on it (I was saving it to share with my brother-in-law).

T - Starts sweet - lots of citrus and light malt at the head. The bitterness comes in at the back of my palate and lingers in the aftertaste, but it's not overwhelmingly bitter. Very well balanced. I'm wondering if the on-tap version has greater complexity that has dissipated over the last few months.

M - Resiny, smooth, creamy, with the perfect density. It's refreshing but not watery. Carbonation complements the hop bitterness by tickling the palate.

D - I could drink it all day if I could find it. 6% is imperceptible, and I love the 500ml serving size.

I've gotta get this on tap at some point - while watcing a ballgame or something.

MasterSki, Dec 13, 2008
4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

Much thanks to 0110x011 for this bottle! My first Blind Pig. I've been looking forward to this!

Pours a beautiful light honey like amber, with a nice foamy head that leaves thick lacing.
Smell is like someone shoved some fresh piney hop cones up your nose, just a hint of malt as the head fades towards the end.
Taste is a little more balanced although the beautiful piney hops flavor dominates hints of pale malts and grain. Flowery cannabis aftertaste.
Beautiful beer that lives up to its billing here as one of the best American IPAs. I'd drink it all the time if I could.

jraycee, Dec 12, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

A delicious IPA! Very pleasant citrus and floral aroma. A nice lingering aftertaste, with hints of grapefruit and fresh hops. This beer really has everything I'm looking for in an IPA. The drinkability is insanely high. Blind Pig is amazingly tasty and refreshing, and would be easily chuggable. Fresh hops with a wonderfully smooth feel. It would be a regular beer for me, if only it was available where I live.

Huhzubendah, Dec 10, 2008
3.83/5  rDev -12.2%

I missed this while at Russian River last year. I've had the opportunity to have this in the bottle, and on tap at three different locations.
Appears a hazy light gold with a small white cap that slowly fades into a mild cap that never fades away. Spotty bits of lacing are left around the glass.
Smell is of super hop juice, citrus, grapefruit, pine, herbs, and black pepper.
Taste is a big drop off with the flavors. From the samples I've had, it just seems to be a bit watered down. It's a let down from getting excited with the kick-ass aromas to actually getting to taste it.
Mouthfeel is bitter, medium bodied, citrusy, with a bitter finish.

weeare138, Dec 10, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Thanks to Azurelimits for this great extra.

500ml brown bottle poured into a pint.

A: Pours a nice glowing golden orange with good clarity. 1 1/2 fingers worth of strong yet fluffy head forms and holds nicely. Decent lacing throughout.

S: Hops are very juicy, citrusy. Pleasant pine and resin that aren't astringent at all. Lightly toasted sweet malts balance out and have just a touch of nuttiness in the back.

T/M: Bitterness is at a very manageable level... perfect for this particular brew(kind of like Two Hearted and its bitterness). Hops are again very juicy and citrusy. The pine and resins are bumped up a bump and bring brisk twang to the tongue. Malts are sweet and lightly nutty to balance. Body is medium with pleasant carbonation. Finishes on the dry side with some lasting bitterness.

D: Very tasty and easily drinkable. 6% ABV is more than manageable.

pwoods, Dec 09, 2008

I truly and with full honesty think this beer deserves a perfect score. This India Pale Ale has everything a true hophead would ever want in a beer. My favorite by far, and I've had a lot of IPAs.

It pours a hazy almost clear deep golden color. Has a creamy firm off white medium head that leaves great strong lacing.

The aroma is so pungent and complex with citrus, floral, and a little pine. Every kind of fresh citrus fruits you can imagine. It wofts through the whole bottle, and never fades. You don't even have to swirl the glass to get more hop aroma. It's strong throughout.

The flavor is the same as above. All the hops shine like they are one hop veriety, but they are many. The malt is barely detectable, but it's there of coarse. Just a little hint of sweetness. It has a very smooth and soft bitterness. I was told by a faithful soarse that RR only uses tones of late hop additions no "bittering hops", they must truly use a lot to get 70 IBUs with nothing but late additions.

Very drinkable at 6% abv. You can't detect any booziness. I could have 20 of these... just kidding. I wish I could. :)

hoplover82, Dec 08, 2008
4.55/5  rDev +4.4%

A: Sea foam froth, the color of wet straw, line of head around the edge, minimal carbonation visible in the beer - 4.25, S: Absolutely loaded with grapefruity and citrusy hops, though hops dominate the nose there is a nice solid malt build - 5.00, T: Heaps of hops from the beginning to the end of this beer, semi-dry and bitter, has elements of freshly cut grass and pine sap - 4.50, M: 4.00, D: An extremely solid representation of the style, hops play the main role and hence this is a beer every hophead should seek - 4.50

deereless, Dec 08, 2008
4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a crystal clear light golden color, with a huge neverending fluffy white head.

Smells of citrus and pine, tons of hops.

Flavor is an upfront piny bitterness, with notes of citrus in it, while not overdone there is very little malt to this, hops hops and yes more hops. medium high carbonation gives it a great feeling in the mouth.

Very easy to drink, leaves a nice bitterness in the mouth that lingers for a while.

SShelly, Dec 05, 2008
4.68/5  rDev +7.3%

lynx1245 brought some goodies down for us. Thanks Trevor!

Appearance: Pours a pale gold with a pretty hefty amount of yeast sediment suspended inside. Thin, rocky, sticky white head doesn't hang around very long. Spotty lacing. EDIT: second bottle had better head and lacing than the first. Pretty impressive lacing actually.

Smell: Tons of pine and oily hop resin. Wow! Grapefruit everywhere. Caramel! Getting some earthy, herbal tones as well. Great aroma with plenty of balance.

Taste: What an awesome IPA. Reminds me a lot of Stone IPA, but with more balance. A good amount of oily hops, but not over the top. A lot of earthy tones inside. Feels... natural. Lots of caramel, butter and grapefruit as well. Just a really, really good IPA.

Mouthfeel: Creamy and very sticky. Low carbonation, but somewhat thin in terms of body. Slides right down.

Drinkability: Could drink 'em all day long. Light, fresh, and super smooth. Wish this was available in SLO.

ThreeWiseMen, Dec 04, 2008
4.45/5  rDev +2.1%

Big thanks to Skourtis for the bottles of this fine nectar
500 ml bottle, Bottled on dating "093008" = FRESH. The label tells me "This beer does not get better with age! Please do not age me!" Not being one to go against the brewers wishes... This one pours lighter golden amber, slight haze, larger dark eggshell head, which shows better then average retention, nice puff/fluff, tons of outstanding, fine lace, vibrant floral hop nose. Simply great ale. Fresh hops in all their bittering/flavoring glory, sweet malts laying the under carpet down. Fine stuff, this would be a go to beer, if they distributed in my area....

Billolick, Dec 02, 2008
4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

I was able to try Blind Pig on tap at Capone's Black Friday on 11/28/2008. They served it to me in a Budweiser pint glass. It's probably going to be the only time these two breweries will ever be in a sentence together. It was the only thing they had and it was clean. That's good enough for me.

This Russian River beer poured a hazy and bright sunshine yellow color. On top of this hazy and yellow IPA was a creamy 1 inch head of pure white foam. This head had excellent retention that left behind a small white film and a huge amount of sticky white streaks of lace around the glass.

The aroma was so hoppy that I could smell it 1 foot away. The aroma was hopped up with bitter citrus hops, about 2 tons of tart grapefruit, pine, and a subtle splash of lemon peel and coriander. The aroma was only the beginning when it came to the hops.

The taste was also hugely hopped, but in a different way. I could taste all the bitter citrus hops gather what hop energy it could get and just when the taste was about to overwhelmed with hops, they settled off. It was a great hop experience. Hiding behind all the hops was a ton of tart grapefruit, a hint of lemon peel, a splash of coriander, pine needles, and extremely subtle amount of toasted malts. I'm surprised any malts made it through that massive hop wall.

This 6.0% IPA was full bodied and featured a full flavored hoppy aftertaste of bitter citrus hops, tart grapefruit, and a splash of lemon peel. This hoppy aftertaste was long lasting. Make sure you have a glass of water nearby to cleanse your palate. You'll need it!

Wow! What a pleasure to try on tap! I'm not sure the bottled version would be as good as the on tap version, but I'm sure it's up there. If you find out that your local bar has this on tap, make sure you show up early to try this wonderful Russian River beer.

AltBock, Nov 30, 2008
3.58/5  rDev -17.9%

Got this growler at Capones.

Cloudy orange body with a small white head that falls to a nice lacing.Not much carbonation is in the glass.

Piney,citrusy and some sweetness.

Piney and some nice sweetness but its very balanced.

Not much carbonation but I think that was from the filling of the growler.

Good beer but to me its nothing more then a good west coast ipa.Sorry RR.I'll have it again for sure but I dont think I'll buy another growler.

MmmIPA, Nov 30, 2008
4.93/5  rDev +13.1%

First off I need to give props to Matt at capones for always having such and exeptional take out and on draft list..especially during the draft events. He does it up top notch.

Blind pig is an excellent ipa, very drinkable. Golden amber appearance with minimal head, excellent lacing. Smells of citrus and even honey with malt mixed in here and there. Mouthfeel is very good and they go down very easily. I stopped myself after 2 but I could have easily had 2 more without any problem, too bad I drove there. Russian river hit it right on the button with this brew. Its super tasty and I love it. Cannot wait until its sold in PA on a regular basis.

gibby, Nov 28, 2008
4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

This is a damn good IPA. I am glad they bottle it now.

Poured a 500ml bottle into a snifter

Appearance - Produced a 1 finger frothy white head that left quite a bit of lacing down the sides of the glass. It is a transparent honey toned golden orange color. Decent head retention. Looks damn tasty.

Smell - Oh man, I could sit here and smell this all day. This gives the whole range of hop scents. I can get notes of pineapple, grapefruit, tangerine, candied orange, a hint of pine. There is a hint of malt in there too.

Taste - The taste is great. I really love the depth of the hop flavor - RR isn't smacking you in the face with hop bitterness as much as it is hop flavor. The flavor notes are primarily pineapple, grapefruit and a hint of pine intermingling with a hint of caramel. The bitterness comes in at the end and rounds out the brew.

Mouthfeel - Smooth. This brew is medium/light bodied and oily. It rolls over and coats the tongue - slightly sticky. The carbonation level is awesome - just enough to feel prickly throughout the mouth.

Drinkability - This is a pretty easy drinking IPA. I really enjoyed drinking this one. Russian River does not disappoint. This would be a mainstay in my fridge if we were able to get this here in TX.

MiguelMandingo, Nov 28, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -4.1%

Poured from a bottle into a tall glass, a clear golden color with a big active frothy head. Could be filtered.

The aroma is a bright piney and citrus conglomeration. Some notes of caramel sweetness come through as well. The piney hoppiness is pretty overwhelming.

The flavor is mostly hops! The nose displays a bit of citrus hops but the finish is all blunt piney hops. The aftertaste is very bitter and sticks with you.

Great beer if you are a devotee of hops.

ahalloin, Nov 26, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +6.7%

Picked up a couple bottles of Blind Pig at Belmont Station a couple of weeks ago... shared one.. tonight.. this one is all mine.... poured into my Chimay goblet.

1" bubbly head.. nice cap and a surprising ring of lace.. the brew is only slightly hop-hazed pretty clear honey..

nose is lemon and tangerine zest dominated by pineapple hoppiness.. some grapefruit.. and just enough pale malts.

not what else to say about the flavor other than.. WOW!! Mirrors the smell identically... huge fruity hop flavors... Kaffir lime leaves.. clean.. yet oily.. just enough pale malt goodness to bring the hops to their full glory... never ever goes over to the bitter side.. just very very drinkable.. body is fairly lite.. lending very much to me wanting another sip.. quaff.. bottle.. (can I get a keg?)

There is no doubt Blind Pig would be a household regular if I had it locally... now... we just need to make sure, somehow, that Idaho is the next state on the evergrowing list of places to get Russian River.

4/4.5/5/4/4.5

JohnGalt1, Nov 25, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

A - slightly coudy, but clear golden color with creamy head

S - strong hop smell, with little fruit/floral aromas

T - very malty, not as much citrus as i'd like

M - nice bite, but the malt is overwhelming

D - the malt is too much for me, but moderate alcohol content makes this very smooth

jstrahan, Nov 23, 2008
4.6/5  rDev +5.5%

I'm finally going to review this beer. I have been trying to steer away from it for reasons unknown.

A: Looks like an IPA. Wonderful hazy golden colored body topped with a whipped cream tinted head. Head broke down to lacing fairly quickly but hung like snow on a screen window to the side of my glass.

S: Piney, grapefruit, other dark fruit like fig or cherries comes out as the beer warms.

T: Mmm hops. Not a full slam of "pow" hop flavor but a nice build of the bitter units. The citrus is minimal and more on the floral, bright, side of the street. Sun is now shining from the inside of my mouth. Refreshingly crisp and clean beer. More malty backbone come out as it warms as well, helping the balance of the intense hops and malt.

M: Heavy and wet just like my women. A little slick on the tongue - oily? Just like I like ... ok ok enough of the gutter talk. Very nice mouthfeel with perfect carbonation.

D: Drinkability is killer. I could just keep pouring them down. ABV at 6%?? Are you joking? I want another one. But RR has one thing down ... If you only want one ... they have the perfect sized bottles.

MYJELLOMISFIT, Nov 23, 2008
4.18/5  rDev -4.1%

This is my first review in some months, time to try again.

Pours a pretty light copper golden, slightly hazy with a thin white head that goes to a nice cover that sticks around a good long while. Very nice.

Aroma is gentle for an IPA, floral, light bready malts, only a hint of citrus. Flavor is a much stronger punch of bittering hops, lots of piney and grassy notes, sharp and bitter. But also some citrus- sour (grapefruit) rather than sweet (orange). I used to not like this, and it is still now a "once in a while" flavor for me, but very enjoyable.

A nice change up IPA, not my favorite, but good and worth having again (and again).

My original review on tap (before bottling):
Tasted a couple of pints at Hollingshead Deli in Orange, CA at the Blind Pig Roll-Out party starring Vinnie C. $4.50 pint or $8.00 with the proper Mason Jar Blind Pig glassware (keep the glass).

Relatively pale golden color with a nice creamy head.

The aroma was actually less pronounced than I expected- what was there was very nice floral hops, bright and clean. But not very strong.

The flavor was very good, floral hops and more hops, but not overpowering. Malt was there, but that's not what this beer is about. A lot of flavor, much more pronounced than the aroma.

The best part of this beer is its drinkability. Very well constructed and it is great to just sit there and watch the glass empty all by itself. The ABV is low enough to allow more than one.

Highly recommended.

Dukeofearl, Nov 23, 2008
4.13/5  rDev -5.3%

500ml Bottle from Beverages4 less in Santee.

A: A slightly hazy dark gold color with a big sudsy white head that had great retention and left some lacing.

S: The aroma is pretty simple with pine and ripe sweet citrus.

T: The flavor is hops forward with a good biter bite followed by cotton candy and more biter hops on the backside.

M: Full, smooth and creamy, long finish with bitersweet notes.

D: Goes down easy, this concoction is biter without any harshness, its very clean and tasty. My go to IPA. Recommended try.

likestoswallow, Nov 21, 2008
4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks to gford217 for hooking me up with this tasty brew!

Pours a slightly hazy light orange with a creamy one-finger off-white head that sticks around for most of the duration leaving a bit of lacing behind.

Smell is mostly beautiful hops! Lots of grapefruit, orange rind and pineapple, with a bit of caramel sneaking in as well.

Taste is bitter citrus hops and resinous pine up front. Sweet caramel malt rears its head mid-palette keeping this one from getting too bitter. There's just a wonderful balance between the juicy citrus hops and sweet malts. Finishes dry with more bitterness, begging you to take another sip.

Medium-bodied mouthfeel with an oily hoppiness that coats the mouth.

Very drinkable, almost sessionable, but a pleasure to share with a close friend. Thanks Grant!

MrMonkey, Nov 19, 2008
4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

I brought this bottle of Blind Pig home with me from Denver back in October. I was there for the GABF and stopped off at the Argonaut to grab a few beers not available in Texas. Thank god for bubble wrap.

Poured into a belgian snifter to capture the aroma best. Looks like apple juice. Clear light amber color with a thin, but sticky, head on top. Some lace. The nose is big on hops, bursting with piney grapefruit. It really reminds me of the nose on the Victory Hop Wallop, and this is a good thing. Very big and hoppy, but a beautiful aroma. The taste is very hoppy, but lighter than I expected it to be. The nose is a bit deceptive, because this beer comes across a bit fruitier, and less piney, in taste than in smell. That's okay with me, though. Still, there is plenty of citrus here to satisfy most hopheads. Some funky bitter-dry aftertaste finishes it off. Mouthfeel is thinner than expected. Clean and dry.

A great IPA, this Blind Pig. It's not as over-the-top as its cousin, Pliny the Elder, but it's still delicious. This bottle was fresh, but I can imagine that it's even better when it's straight from the brewery. I would love to be able to get this beer here in TX. Maybe one day. Until then, I'll have to make more trips to Colorado.

Atlas1, Nov 19, 2008
4.95/5  rDev +13.5%

Thanks to gford217 for the LIF and trade!

Varies in color from light yellow to light orange. Small head with beautiful lacing and a head that clings like hell. Huge grapefruit and lemon aroma. Complex malt characteristics and spice scents.

The hop taste is the most fresh I've ever tasted. The bitterness is perfect and so well balanced with the malt character. Grapefruit and lemon are apparent here as well, and some more tropical fruit flavors. It is medium to full bodied and very sticky in the mouth and throat. The taste stays long after you swallow. Awesome flavor, but not too overwhelming to drink easily.

This is the closest I have come to rating a beer as perfect, and I believe I was right in doing so. This beer is amazing and is sure to please any hop-head, such as myself!

SirSketch, Nov 19, 2008
4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

500 ml bottle into a tulip glass. Thanks to brentk56 or this in the recent Secret Halloween BIF.

Pours a clear, golden orange with several fingers of poofy eggshell colored head. Solid ½ finger of retention that stays thick and foamy, flaring up magnificently and leaving a huge cascade of sticky hop lacing behind. The aroma is a nose tingling mix of floral hops, pine cones, spice, some REALLY juicy smelling citric notes, and caramel sweetness that does a very good job of balancing out the nose.

The taste is a biting, resinous hop bitterness up front that never seems to quite run wild, as it's reigned in by tangy citrus character and a silky caramel backbone. That bitterness once again rears its' head in the finish, leaving a dry and lingering feel that has you eagerly anticipating the next sip. The mouthfeel is medium bodied with a wonderful softy and creamy texture to it that spreads out across the palette and moves the flavors along. There is also a good bit of hop oil slickness to the body and the 6% ABV is hidden very well hidden.

This is just an extremely well crafted and solid IPA from Russian River. All of the flavors that you would want in a West Coast IPA plus the look, body, and most of all, drinkibility were all top notch. Worth seeking out.

Kegatron, Nov 18, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +7.8%

500 ml bottle.
6.1% abv
Bottled on 9/30/08

Courtesy of "bring" in trade, thanks again!

Pours a light gold..many flecks of sediment floating about..huge head of eggshell-colored foam sits on top unwavering...
Aroma is heavenly..an absolute tribute to fresh hops.. Overpowering citrus..grapefruit, orange, lemon, banana, and pine sap..yowsa.
For as much hop taste as this packs, it could easily be considered a double ipa. It's obviously not, considering the relatively low-abv, but still..this packs a wallop.
Endlessly drinkable...Russian River defies normalcy once again with this incredible IPA.

hero27, Nov 18, 2008