Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Blind Pig IPABlind Pig IPA

Wants: 1,522
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blind Pig IPA Alström Bros
4.58/5  rDev +5%

this bottle is readily waiting consumption

A: the body is a vibrant gold mixed with hazy orange tones. Upon further inspection the edges hold golden yellow when held up to the window, nice look. My glass is stained with a reasonable amount of sticky lace and a thin layer of dingy lather remained throughout the entire drink. A certain quality exists in the presentation of this beer

S: the cap popped off an instant pineapple chunks, grapefruit wedges, and orange rinds filled my nasal cavity. Need I say, a few needles of pine and even some tropical fruit notes can be whiffed. For an AIPA this little piglet is loaded

Now the moment of truth...

T: and I am not disappointed. What I always look for in my first sip in any hoppy beer is where the malts sit. This pig's pale malts sit proudly where they should and keep the focus on hops while maintaining a quiet contribution to the brew. This piglet has no apples in its mouth as it beckons fruity hops that are all over the board with sticky pineapple, lemons, oranges, and maybe an ever so soft hint of passion fruit crusted with pine needles. Otherwise, it is safe to say that this is a zesty hop citrus based IPA. All these flavors are punched with a soft caramel coating making the hops a slight bit sticky sweet, tasty!

M: no complaints in this category at all. For what it holds the feel is top notch and an airy type of creamy. The body is neither heavy nor mild, a fair spot in between fits right. It leaves a nice hop resin on the tongue and kept me begging for more

D: this beer is bonkers great. Drinks like no other IPA I have had and is loaded with flavors...delightfully delicious!

4.2/5  rDev -3.7%

Bottle dated 020209, got as an extra, thanks! I was afraid since I have had fresher BP that this would pale in comparison, it kinda did. The hops weren't as lively and the citrus, although bright, wasn't quite what I remember it to be. This was still a great drink, the color was fantastic, aromas were very good lots of grapefruit. I'd be drinking this fresh if it were more available.

3.53/5  rDev -19%

A - poured a cloudy golden-honey color with a long lived white head that laced quite well. Patches of bubbles all over the place! Good head retention.

S - Hops galore! Citrusy and sweet with a tiny hint of pine resin and sweet maltiness. Grapefruits are most distinguished but some bread, grains, and pine resin are thrown in the mix.

T - Very good! Sweet malty start draws out to a lasting, lingering, bitter finish. The taste is similar to the description of the smell but a bit more grassiness and only a hint of grapefruit rinds.

M - smooth and well carbonated. Very bubbly so I swirled it a bit to get rid of some carbonation.

D - Pretty good, I would have another but I'd have to be in the mood.

Overall - Review from notes (April 2009) served at Monk's Cafe. A decent representative of an American IPA. Honestly, I'm not sure this would do it for me all the time but to be fair, it is undoubtedly a good beer. Russian River never fails.

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

Pours a very clear, very light amber gold, with a huge and frothy head of yellow-white bubbles. Lacing is good, and the head retention is quite incredible. I'll have to chew through some suds to get to the beer, no doubt.

Deliciously hoppy nose - massive sweet fruit backed with gritty, resinous hops. Hints of bitter cherry, apricot and plantain, with pine resin and sawdust over the top. Extremely fragrant, and powerful.

Palate is less robust, with a subtle, but pleasant hop character riding over the top of a smooth, buttery sweetness. Some pepper mid palate, with a light, sweet afterpalate. No grittiness on the back. Mouthfeel is deliciously smooth, adding to the soft, comforting nature of this IPA.

Not an extreme IPA - certainly not packed with bitterness on the palate. My guess is the hop quota in this brew is used up late, imparting massive fruit aromas, but little bitterness. This leaves it extremely drinkable - very smooth and refreshing. An excellent and tasty little IPA.

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

This one pours a hazy pure copper color with an inch of frothy and clean white head. The bubbles leave thick, full rings down the sides of the glass.

Mild citrusy and piney hops are the dominant scent...they are muted a bit more than I would like, but I can tell that this beer is going to be well balanced, because I can smell some sweet malts in the background.

The hops come through much stronger than I expected from the aroma. Piney hops give way to a sticky malty sweetness that lingers and mingles with citrusy hops in the finish.

Nice smooth texture despite a tingly carbonation. This was one of the best balanced IPAs that I have tried yet!

4.58/5  rDev +5%

Not as good as the Pliny but a very good ipa. Surprisingly drinkable and not too high in alcohol. Finishes very dry and the hop flavor i pronounced without being overwhelming. Not as aromatic as the doubles but a very easy to drink beer and very sessionable. Comes in a 1/2 liter bottle; great size.

4.63/5  rDev +6.2%

The best IPA I have had in a while. I had this on-tap at Local 44 in West Philly, served in a pint glass

A- The beer was a tawny amber, with a very fluffy, full head of foam. This is exactly what an IPA should look like.

S- Immediately I was struck by the aroma of grapefruit and resinous pine with the sweet phenolic tinge of tropical fruits like pineapple and banana

T- Perfect balance of hop bitterness, malt and acidity

M- Refreshing with biting carbonation and good cling on the tongue.

D- I had two in a row and probably could've had another, but sometimes the bitterness just gets to be too much

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

Re-reviewing this with a much fresher bottle than my previous review(bottle over 6 months old that time). Poured from a 500ml bottle dated 3/26/09 this time.

A -Pours a hazy orangish-golden color with a big frothy white head. Good retention and leaves nice, sticky lacing all the way down.

S -Has a nice, fresh hop aroma with hints of sweet citrus (orange and grapefruit) and some nice floral qualities. Very slight malty sweetness in the background.

T - Very nice hop flavors with mostly citrus qualities(grapefruit and orange again) and a bit of pine. A bit of floral hoppiness in the aftertaste as well. Balanced with a slight caramel maltiness. Very nice level of bitterness.

M - Medium bodied. Carbonation isn't overdone and is at a good level for this beer.

D - Very well-balanced on the hoppier side of things, which is how I like my IPAs. Would make a great session brew, wish I had another in fact.

Really glad I found a fresher bottle of this one, it was good at 6 months old, but GREAT in its fresher state. Easily one of the best IPAs I've gotten my hands on thus far.

4.1/5  rDev -6%

The color is a slightly hazy orange, the head was minimal in this pour. The aroma was that of a fresh orange with some slight sweet malt peaking through. The flavor was a little malt sweetness with some floral and citrus hops but not as strong orange as the aroma. A very well balanced IPA.

4.45/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

had on tap at Local 44 in West Philly

bold ipa with a slightly hazy orange/gold hue....smallish head that fades quick...patches of lace around the glass

citrus....grapefruit...some lemon/orange....lots of piney hops

i think they call this Blind Pig because you could close your eyes and know there were hops in this...a hop-heads heaven...very bitter...not much balance between the hops and malts but still very tasty

excellent carbonation with a medium body....somewhat of a thick IPA

drank 1 of these on an empty stomach but if i had some food in front of me this could easily be a 2 to 3 pint session beer....semi-low ABV along with the awesome hop presence makes this one to really savor

RR can do no wrong in my eyes, i'm glad i live in SEPA!!

4.35/5  rDev -0.2%

500 ml bottle, dated to 3-26-09. Received via trade thanks to ironlung.

A: The beer pours a VERY pretty and tasty-looking rich orange cream color. It is definitely a great color for an IPA and looks very appetizing. One-finger head, though I gave it a somewhat soft pour.

S: A thick and powerful American hop aroma.

T: Heavy on the grapefruit essences, semi-dry with a clean finish.

M: This is relatively heavy for a single IPA, and seems to be bridging the gap toward a DIPA. Well carbonated.

D: Goes does very easily, as it fits my requisites for drinkability: great taste, medium body and well carbonated, and no overwhelming alcohol (obviously).

A really good IPA, I'm glad I had the chance to try this one.

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

Thanks to Hopheadlouie for the trade! 500ml bottle into a dimpled Löwenbräu mug. (bottled 3.03.09)

Pours with a slight haze to the golden tea-colored body. A massive sandy head builds to three-finger's width before slowly settling to a thick cap. Good retention and lacing. As expected, the aroma is loaded with hops: floral, citrus, and resin. Nice backbone of caramel malts balances the greenery.

Flavor packs a larger hop profile than the aroma lets on, and gladly so, although the bitterness could stand to be a bit more in check at times. Raw, leafy hop cones cross the palate with some citrus & spice before a solid, caramel malt sweetness balances it all out. A slightly stale biscuit note mingles with some wood on the finish, possibly a side effect of the 3 month old bottle's "age". Still, the mouthfeel is one of the highlights. Russian River knows how to craft an IPA that finishes effortlessly clean and crisp, with just a hint of lingering bitterness. The medium-thin body is very refreshing and drinkable because of that. Overall, I found Blind Pig to be a good IPA, perhaps a bit overrated, but still very tasty.

4.5/5  rDev +3.2%

A great yellow color with a fantastic sticky head and great lacing.
Smells mostly of pine and citrus with a malt character in the back.
West coast hops. Pine dominates with plenty of citrus character as well as subtle Cannabis notes. A malt presence makes an appearance but its the hops that star the show.
A full syrupy mouthfeel with excellent carbonation make for a great feeling beer.
I want more.

4.47/5  rDev +2.5%

What a nice surpise to see two Russian River brews last night at our Charlotte Oktoberfest meeting. Pliny the Elder was the one I had my eyes on the whole time, but let me tell you . . . this one is just as good, if not even more drinkable. Nice piney hops that we just don't get on the east coast as much. Lots of flavor all the way, a must try.

4.43/5  rDev +1.6%

blind pig
500ml bottle thanks to yesac in a trade. bottle says brewed on 03/03/09. since i dont have a mason jar to drink it from handy, it goes into my nonic.

A- this one pours a golden colored body with a small finger of bright white head. the head sticks around for a while before becoming a small crown and leaves a little bit of lacing on the sides of my glass.

S- hops, hops, and more hops. lots of cirtus. grapefruit mostly, but also a bit of orange. also some resiny, piny hops. no trace of malt, but i dont think they wanted to make a balanced IPA with this one.

T- once again, a pretty fierce hoppy assault. the grapefruit is strong in this one. the orange and pine are there too, but not as much as i thought i could smell. nice and bitter. unbalanced, but that can be a good thing.

M- medium to full bodied. crisp, clean, and very refreshing.

D- ugh, i with this one was on our shelves. its an excellent example of the west coast style IPA and something i could see myself bringing a cooler full of to a BBQ or somethign this summer. easy to finish the bottle, and i would have liked another one. check this one out if you get the chance.

3.98/5  rDev -8.7%

Big thanks to mlaroche to bringing this over from California.

Bottled on 03/26/09

Pours a golden yellow color, slight hazy, perfect sized head with a great amount of lacing on the glass.

Smell is strong in the bitter department, piney with a hint of citrus.

Taste is exactly how the aroma led me to believe it would be, a strong bitter piney taste with some citrus but not enough to balance things out a bit.

4.13/5  rDev -5.3%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Another great hoppy beer from Russian River. Though not quite as good as the two Pliny's this did not disappoint at all. Poured to a hazy golden orange, with a strong citrus grapefruit hop nose and taste, a tingly, bitter mouthfeel, and a crisp long finish.
Great job RR!!

4.33/5  rDev -0.7%

UPDATE: I tried this beer again and I have to admit, I wasn't as blown away this time as I was before. It is a very good IPA, but really not nearly as special as I described and originally rated. My first score was a 4.85 and the original text is left untouched below.

A--Pours a very bubby clear amber with two full fingers of head. Spotty lacing is left behind on my pint glass.

S--Huge, wonderful citrus smell. Rivals any other single IPA nose I've had. All hail west coast IPA brewers!

T--OK, now this is something special. Upon first sip it feels as though it is going to be a wave of bitterness similar to the biggest DIPA's, but it never fully comes. Instead you are greeted by a juicy citric hop flavor that is out of this world. This is what I thought Sculpin was going to taste like. This is wonderful. Nice malt backbone to balance this out and make it smooth as silk. Piney aftertaste.

M--Medium bodied, washes down very clean. I wish there was a little more stickiness, but that is nitpicking. Very soft carbonation.

D--This is as drinkable as any IPA I have ever had. This has made me want to get another Pliny VERY SOON try it again because I had to have missed something if Russian River can make and IPA like this. Bravo, possibly (probably) my favorite single IPA.

4.25/5  rDev -2.5%

Appearance - Perfection in a glass. I'm not gonna give anything less than a 5 here, cause it doesn't deserve anything less. Golden sun color with a faint orange tint. Head was a beautiful creamy froth of about a finger length. Lacing is nothing short of amazing either. Sides are completely caked with white beer batter. Eye candy in every way.

Smell - Piny biting hops with a soft mellow almost tangy citrus tone. Has a touch of lemon and pineapple mixed in for a tropical melon note. Still the slight twang keeps it from a 5.

Taste & Mouthfeel - Hoppy in a kick ass way, but a little too light and thin in the mouth to completely blow me away. A drizzle of honey on top of the citrus fruit gives it a fading sweetness. Pale malt is used to help with balance, but the bitterness is to overwhelming, as well it should be.

Drinkability - I think this one stands right up to pliny the elder, and in some ways is the equal if not better of the two. Vinnie doesn't expect anything but perfection from his beers, and this one doesn't fall short of those expectations.

4.08/5  rDev -6.4%

The appearence is a light cloudy orange with a slight white head receding into a thin halo around the edge. Foamy white lacing sticks to the edges. The nose is a mix of fruity and piney hops blended in nicely with a slight touch of maltiness. The taste is big citrus hops and bitter pine hops. This is far more bitter than i remember it being, almost to a chewy respect with the hops. Mouthfeel is overall pretty carbonated and oily from the hops. Drinkability is very high. I think I could down a couple more glasses of this.

4.53/5  rDev +3.9%

Got this in a trade with Mauerhan...thanks Topher!

Shared this bottle with an employee after closing up shop.

A- Poured into pint glass. Nice hazy golden yellow almost auburn color. Good pour left 1/2 inch off white head that once went down left a nice sticky lacing on the sides of the glass.

S- Big pineapple citrus hoppy nose to it. I can smell some malts buried deep into the smell. Little pine can be detected as well.

T- This beer has a nice big pine/citrus hop bite to it. The ending on this has a nice malt backbone which balances this beer out perfectly. Kind of a little sweet but still packs a bitter punch that stays after the sip.

M- Good mouthfeel. I would say medium at best. Leaves the oily hop resin on the tounge making you beg for more. Good carbonation to it. My only complaint is it has a little bit of a watery feel to it. Watery as in thinness not taste.

D- This is a damn good IPA and I hope that maybe one day RR will be in Indiana. Not going to ever happen I don't think making this beer one that I will have to keep trading for.

4.75/5  rDev +8.9%

Mad thanks to fetus for sending me a much sought after brew!! Been waiting a year to get my hands on one of these fine swine beers!

Poured from a 500 bottle into my SN pint glass. It is starting to sound like I need some new glassware! It had a bottled on date of 072308? No clue what that meant, so would love to know when it was truly bottled, but on to the review...an aggressive pour gave me a three finger off-white head that was nice and sticky. Beautiful lacing that lasted throughout! He looked a bit cloudy which I found a bit surprising. Was a deep golden yellow, almost auburn.

Damn did this smell heavenly! A perfect boquet of citrus hops and a bit of spice. This is what smelling balanced is all about.

The taste floored me. There was a sweetness up front with a nice little citrus-hop kick of bitterness in the back. It's backed up solidly with a touch of malt. I am impressed!

The mouthfeel was smooth and creamy...almost perfect!

Drinkability-Hell Yeah! I could put down a couple of these in a sitting and be perfectly content.

Overall, the sweetness in the taste is so damn good! I think that I found an IPA that I can sink my pallet into. Send me more ASAP!!!

Hmmmm, unfortunately I am taking my first try of this well regarded brew from a bottle a little old for my taste. Pours a pure golden color, with a little bit of cloudy bits settling. The head is a nice two finger, overwhelming size, solid white. Nice lacing left after a few sips, this is a well built beer. Aroma has faded a bit, bit I pick up the piney, grassy hop aroma. The taste follows that piney/grassy hop profile, and has luckily held up well. Unfortunately, I there is not enough malt to balance it out, and if I am going to be overwhelmed by hops, I prefer the citrusy route. Very dry in your mouth, crisp, as well. A little less dry, and maybe earthy, and this would be a bit smoother drinking. Obviously a well built beer, but I prefer a different route on my IPA hop selection. Still, I would like to give it another whirl, with a little more fresh bottle.

4.7/5  rDev +7.8%

Pint glass. I'm surprised this is my first rating of this beer. It's medium golden with a nice frothy white head. Retention is good and scattered lacing is left on my glass.

The aroma is that of a near perfect IPA. Blind Pig has a strong citrus hop presence, imparting notes of bitter grapefruit as well as orange rind. There's also a lot of pine in the nose too. There's no noticeable alcohol, and the malt backbone is faint and crackery.

The taste is very bitter and packs a hell of a lot of hop flavor. It oozes pine and citrus hops. There' not sweetness. The crackery malt profile lets the hops run the show. No sweetness is detectable, and alcohol flavor is nowhere to be found. Bitterness is medium-high. The finish is crisp and clean. It's also very dry, and bitter. It leaves pine and grapefruit lingering on my palate.

Blind Pig is light bodied with good carbonation.
The mouthfeel is bone dry, crisp, and leaves my mouth sticky.

4.15/5  rDev -4.8%

Pours a golden yellow-amber into a snifter with a small bubbly off-white head. Healthy amounts of sticky lacing around the glass as it drains.

Nose is hoppy goodness, with big notes of grapefruit, citrus and pine. Hops dominate, with just a bit of pale malt and grains trying to balance it out.

Mouth is medium to light bodied and silky with hop oils with a slightly dry, bitter finish. Medium to low carbonation. Feels a tad thin.

Taste starts with a bit of subtle honey sweetness up front and then pounds through a huge blast of hop bitterness, pine and subtle grapefruit. Prickly bitterness lingers long after it goes down.

Drinkability is high, as this is solidly delicious and relatively low alcohol.

Overall, this is a great example of a hoppy American IPA. Refreshing, not overpowering or overly bitter, and absolutely delicious. My only complaint would be in the slightly thin/watery mouthfeel and I feel like a bit more carbonation might make it even more quaffable.

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company