1. BeerAdvocate on your phone?! True story. Try the beta now.

Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Blind Pig IPABlind Pig IPA

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

(Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Reviewers | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Blind Pig IPA Alström Bros
Ratings: 3,595 | Reviews: 1,287 | Show All Ratings:
DavoleBomb

3.45/5  rDev -20.9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3 | overall: 3.5

On-tap at Toronado, SF. Poured into a pint glass.

3.5 A: Lightly hazed light orange color. Came with just a touch of head, so I can't comment much.

3.5 S: Like Pliny, this is piney and flowery, but dialed down several notches. Not much malt, but maybe a touch bready.

3.5 T: Decent, but all I can think is "watered down Pliny." Piney hops with some grapefruit and earthiness. Moderate to heavy bitterness. Malts are weak and mildly bready.

3.0 M: Every time I have this beer, it always comes back to the weak mouthfeel. Lighter medium body. Far from creamy (which is truly sad). The whole beer would be much better if this was more robust here.

3.5 D: This isn't worth drinking if a Pliny is near (or any other decent IPA) and disappointing if you let the hype monster get a hold of you.

06-19-2011 18:33:29 | More by DavoleBomb
rajendra82

Georgia

3.48/5  rDev -20.2%

The third offering in a continuum of Russian River IPAs bottled unofficially by BA RedwoodGeorge from a 5 gallon keg into 22 oz. bombers, the beer came out paler than the two bigger Pliny’s but had a little more carbonation, and a bigger head. The aroma was much milder than I had anticipated, with a floral-citric hop smell vaguely reminiscent of Mangos. The taste was citric, sugary, and a little soapy. Body was light and airy, and the hops faded quickly after each sip. Like the rest of Russian River IPAs, this was lighter in body than the strength on the label suggested. Unlike the bigger beers, the lightness of the body had a slightly detrimental effect on the single IPA, where more character is usually better than less. An easy to drink beer, that left me wishing it was a little less simple.

Serving type: growler

02-27-2006 03:36:40 | More by rajendra82
waltonc

3.48/5  rDev -20.2%

Bottle purchased from City Beer Store.

Hazy golden/orange appearance with sudsy foam around the rim of the glass.

Smells super hoppy, with notes of Christmas tree.

Taste: of course, ridiculous amounts of hops, which I assume, in combination with the apparent scarcity of this beer, is why folks have given it such a high average rating.

Mouthfeel: Pretty nice, notwithstanding the tongue-lashing that is delivered by the hops.

Drinkability: I will have difficulty making it through my bottle tonight. The hops are overboard and unbalanced.

09-24-2008 03:00:02 | More by waltonc
HeroJH

3.48/5  rDev -20.2%

Be in the mood for bitter on this one. It just calls itself an IPA without any IBU rating, so otherwise you might not know. Which brings up the point that maybe this should be classified as something else, or that we need a new name for these really bitter American IPA's. I would guess it's a double IPA, but perhaps it didn't have the higher Original gravity. Anyways, it's a good beer, though I like their Pliney the Elder much better as that has more of the flavor of hops and not just mostly bitterness.

A - Medium gold, great head retention and lacing. Bits 'o stuff floating around in mine.

S - Hops, clean

T - Quite bitter up front. But along with the smell some mild flavor fills it out a bit. Must let it warm up a touch though.

M - Clean, very bitter

D - well, if you're in the mood for a real heavy and constant bitterness this would do ok.

It's funny that if you were to make beer, this taste could be the result of messing up your bittering hops by adding too many or letting the boil run long, but if you do it on purpose people love it.

03-10-2009 23:27:02 | More by HeroJH
brystmar

3.48/5  rDev -20.2%

Shared with my brother and his gf. I'm not a big fan of single IPAs and strongly prefer the East Coast style (loooove Pliny though), so keep that in mind with this review.

Pours a light orange color with some white head and poor retention. No lace. Honestly, it looks boring and uninteresting.

The smell, on the other hand, is vibrant and full of flavor. Strong floral hops, fruity grapefruit, and more bitter hops bombard my nostrils. I've always loved the aroma from a good IPA, and this is no exception.

Holy hops, Batman! Strongly bitter start to finish as the extreme hoppiness overwhelms any hints of a malt backbone. Grapefruit and pine, as expected, but imbalanced is the name of the game here, folks. You crazy hop-heads probably love this one. Better than most other single IPAs, but it's still not for me.

Thin, weak body and not enough carbonation. I'll be generous and give a 3 for drinkability despite pouring most of my glass back into my brother's. If you like single IPAs, you will probably love Blind Pig.

08-29-2011 02:32:37 | More by brystmar
iLovehops23

3.5/5  rDev -19.7%

pop top on this one two months too late (i think). Can smell hop aroma but its not very pungent. It's like smelling fruit juice that are not fresh . Orange to golden orange in color, with half inch whittish head and minimal lacing which goes away quick. Citrusy in flavor, pineapple and other tropical fruits. Malty with sweetness. Bitter but not as hoppy as a double IPA like it's sister Pliny the Elder. Smooth and dry, very, very drinkable. all in all not the one of the best ipa's ive ever had but i've got to hold pliney responsibale for setting the standers so high for me on this one. with all that said maybee i should try one fresh not two and half months old.

02-25-2011 06:55:50 | More by iLovehops23
siege06nd

3.5/5  rDev -19.7%

Courtesy of IrishColonial. Thanks Eric!

A. Pours a slightly hazy goldenrod. Half finger eggshell white head, nice and crisp. Good lacing and retention.

S. Wow, this is one of the best smelling IPAs I have ever had. Could be the first named tropical storm of the season, as the pineapple and mango flavors keep on coming. I detect a good amount of orange, peach, and just a hint of bitter resin. The bouquet on this is first rate. Amazing.

T. Not nearly as smooth as the nose indicates. Gone are the tropical notes and instead it is just a massively bitter, pinecone infused hop bomb. Some grainy malts. Kind of a thin finish. A bit one note.

M. Bitterness dominates, but it's too thin. Where are the malts? Where is the more rounded hop profile? Exceptionally drying. Too bad.

O. I remember having this 9 months ago and I thought it was better than Pliny. This bottle is less than a month old, so it is as fresh as it gets. And it is extremely disappointing. The malt profile on this is awfully thin and what you are left with is a thin, watery bite. Not even close to a great IPA.

01-07-2012 18:01:56 | More by siege06nd
Holland

3.5/5  rDev -19.7%

Big thanks to my wife for finding this and bringing it back! Bottled on 11/14/12, reviewed 3 days later.

A: golden color, very clear, has a one finger head initially that quickly dissipates to leave a few small pockets or bubbles and a ring on the edge of the glass.

S: huge smell of citrus, some pine, and some earthy smells. The smell really changes from bright citrus to the earthy and pine smells after taking my first sip.

T: after the smell, the taste is pretty average. Some malt, bitterness, almost no sweetness evident, and only a little earthy and piney hops. Where did the hops go?

M: decent body even though it seems highly attenuated, and the carbonation is right on.

O: good, but didn't live up to my expectations at all. Not a lot of flavor hops. Most of the flavor I got was in the smell or bitterness. Still a decent buy, and it was unbelievably fresh.

11-17-2012 19:18:27 | More by Holland
mentor

3.53/5  rDev -19%

500 ml bottle from the first delivery to Colorado (bottled 072208). Two finger of oranged yellow head over a hazed and particulated straw liquid (orange tint). Smells like a hop pellet. Grassy, oranges, lemon, with minimal lemon pith.

Tastes brutal hop flavored with strong grassiness, noticable hop bitter, and mild supporting malt. Hop flavor is oranges, dry pith, lemon, and some pine. Hop bitter is rough grassy cohumulone with drying hop oils. There is a bitter component that comes across to me as soured, iron, and pink grapefruit pith. Esters of peaches and pears are reassuring. The hop flavors are so much I can't pick out any malt flavors. Just a mild sweet underneath all the other factors. Md-light body and moderately carbonated.

I find this beer disjointed. Flavors are conflicted and the rough edges of some flavors fight to leave a pukey dry in the back of the throat. This beer is complex in hoppiness, but not tremendously drinkable. Tastes like chewing on hop bits.

09-13-2008 03:47:29 | More by mentor
DmanGTR

3.53/5  rDev -19%

A - poured a cloudy golden-honey color with a long lived white head that laced quite well. Patches of bubbles all over the place! Good head retention.

S - Hops galore! Citrusy and sweet with a tiny hint of pine resin and sweet maltiness. Grapefruits are most distinguished but some bread, grains, and pine resin are thrown in the mix.

T - Very good! Sweet malty start draws out to a lasting, lingering, bitter finish. The taste is similar to the description of the smell but a bit more grassiness and only a hint of grapefruit rinds.

M - smooth and well carbonated. Very bubbly so I swirled it a bit to get rid of some carbonation.

D - Pretty good, I would have another but I'd have to be in the mood.

Overall - Review from notes (April 2009) served at Monk's Cafe. A decent representative of an American IPA. Honestly, I'm not sure this would do it for me all the time but to be fair, it is undoubtedly a good beer. Russian River never fails.

06-07-2009 03:03:59 | More by DmanGTR
heygeebee

Australia

3.53/5  rDev -19%

Pours a hazy gold, two finger head. Good looking but where are the bubbles?

Aromas of citrus / hops.

Taste is not what I expected. Smooth balanced, and not too hoppy. Pineapple / citrus / a little pine / restrained hops.

Mouthfeel is the big let-down, well undercarbonated for style and this reviewer. If it had the 'zing' it would have lifted the entire beer experience.

I suspect bottle age may be a problem, but as it just landed off the boat, getting fresher will be difficult unless traded. Having said that bottle age would not affect the carbonation.

11-13-2011 07:17:42 | More by heygeebee
LiquidAmber

Washington

look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Review from 10/2010 notes. Poured into a Nostradamus flute glass. Pours a medium orange amber with a moderate, fast dissipating head, leaving lacing. Hoppy aroma. Hops, citrus; hoppy finish. Somewhat muted, like a watered down Pliny the Elder. OK, but don't see the point. I'm not getting the same positive experience as other reviewers. Purchased from a rarely visited store, so maybe an old bottle. If I'm lucky enough to see this again, I'll revise the review.

07-31-2012 19:17:25 | More by LiquidAmber
HalfFull

3.55/5  rDev -18.6%
look: 2.5 | smell: 3 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4.5

Picked up a 500 ml. bottle of the Blind Pig to settle a few arguments I've had. Not having been overly impressed with the draft version, I thought I'd remove one last layer of contention by going the bottle route. At $4.19 for 500ml this is somewhat expensive by San Diego standards, as I could get a 22 oz. of Alesmith IPA for the same price for example And next time, believe me, I will. Oops, did I say that out loud? Bottled on 11/19/2008.

Into a pint glass this beer pours on the golden side of straw with a half inch head. Retention is brief, settling to a surface cap and then the glassy reflection of Mission Bay well after sunset or underneath a pea soup fog.

Moderate hops on the nose with just a touch of sweetness. Some hops and malts on the tongue with a medium carbonation. Nice moderate bitterness on the close. This beer is very drinkable for it doesn't offend, yet often, those that don't offend don't excite either.

Like the tap, the bottle just runs out of steam in the end. At $8 or even $10 a six-pack I would recommend this beer to newbies, but given the price point of this beer I can't in good conscience recommend it at all. This is a light IPA similar to, yet preferred within context, to Harpoon's offering. Not a hophead brew by any means.

01-14-2009 03:51:26 | More by HalfFull
PSU_Mike

3.56/5  rDev -18.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 3.5

Bottle poured into an IPA glass. Bottled on 2/24, consumed on 4/3

A - Clear golden straw color with fairly active carbonation. Big 2 finger head. Very pretty beer.

S - I'm getting a lot of sweet dankness. Maybe hints of orange and tropical fruits. I'm thinking there is some malty sweetness mixed in there.

T - I can't really say what I'm getting here. It's unique but not really in a good way. Bready malt? There is a decent hop presence but I can't put my finger on the flavor profile. I'm at a loss and I'm not sure which direction they are trying to go.

M - Prickly carbonation with a very mild bitterness. It lingers for a bit on the tongue.

O - Color me unimpressed. It's quite unique in the flavor profile. Malt somewhat dominates the palate. Maybe it's the age, maybe my palate is screwed up tonight, maybe I am just not a huge fan.

04-04-2014 02:26:05 | More by PSU_Mike
MmmIPA

3.58/5  rDev -17.9%

Got this growler at Capones.

Cloudy orange body with a small white head that falls to a nice lacing.Not much carbonation is in the glass.

Piney,citrusy and some sweetness.

Piney and some nice sweetness but its very balanced.

Not much carbonation but I think that was from the filling of the growler.

Good beer but to me its nothing more then a good west coast ipa.Sorry RR.I'll have it again for sure but I dont think I'll buy another growler.

Serving type: growler

11-30-2008 02:52:03 | More by MmmIPA
morimech

3.58/5  rDev -17.9%

My first review from my Secret Santa 2009 haul from brentk56. Surprised by the pale golden color. This tells me this is going to be another hop centric beer. A large white head forms and has excellant retention. The head slowly settles to a thick cap. Heavy lacing is left on the glass. Very hoppy aroma with hints of grapefruit, orange, and lemon. Nothing from the malt. The flavor is likewise one dimensional. Citrus hops do shine however in this hop display. Fresh citrus and pine flavors. I would of liked some malt to balance this out a little. The body is on the lighter side but has very good carbonation that gives this beer a nice texture. Nice hop flavors but I would like to taste a little malt in my IPAs. If someone is looking for a better American IPA, I would suggest a few Midwestern beers.

12-17-2009 00:11:26 | More by morimech
Arenbeer

Connecticut

3.58/5  rDev -17.9%

Thanks alot to Sdpklz for this great brew! Brewed 09-07-10 and consuming 10-23-10

A- Pours a really light yellowish orange with a thing 1 finger white head that doesn't stick around.

S- Strong lemon and mandarin orange type citrus overpower some dank pine and earth hops. Not bad

T- Strong orange and lemon citrus, almost to much. Not enough hop presence, they're kind of faded in the background. Little to unbalanced for my taste.

M- Medium to lighter body with moderate carbonation and a semi bitter dry finish but honestly pretty wet for a IPA.

SkÅL!

10-24-2010 05:23:41 | More by Arenbeer
titosupertramp

Tennessee

3.58/5  rDev -17.9%

Thanks to alexsess for the opportunity to try this.

A: Hazy orange, nice two finger head. Retreats quickly into the beer leaving a faint film. Excellent lacing.

S: Took me a while to warm up to the smell, but once I did, it was pretty enjoyable. Zesty lemon, pine, toasted notes. Kind of a sweet smell overall with bitter undertones.

T: In terms of taste, I don't typically enjoy something that's mostly lemonish, but this is ok. Some piney, spicy flavors as well. Sweet malt is present.

M: Thin and watery.

D: Beer goes down easy enough.

I'm not sure if it's the beer or me on this, but not terribly impressed with Blind Pig. A bad bottle maybe? A lot of recent reviews mentioned a clear look to the beer while mine was slightly hazy. To be perfectly honest, if this were a blind tasting, I would have scored everything .5 lower, but Russian River's reputation buys them benefit of the doubt. I'll try this again for sure and will update this review if I get different results.

02-09-2011 01:40:26 | More by titosupertramp
teromous

look: 3 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 3.5

A: Medium gold color, with a thin white head. The beer is slightly hazy and has spotted carbonation.

S: It has a pretty good scent to it. I get a dank kind of earthy scent to it. I pick up a lot of Simcoe smell.

T: A piny hop character, very light on hop flavor and bitterness. Subtle grain character. Slightly vegetal.

M: It has a pleasant mouthfeel, which is an evenly dispersed bitterness across the palate. It has a nice dry finish.

O: Overall it's good. I would drink it again, but it didn't stand out in any particular way.

03-03-2012 02:46:36 | More by teromous
bkilpatr

Oregon

3.6/5  rDev -17.4%

Poured from a 500 ml bottle into a pint glass. 11/03/08. Bottled on 090508.

Pours a clear, bright golden orange color with nearly three fingers of soft beige head. The head dropped slowly and left some nice lacing. Aroma is strong with piny and citrusy hops with some malt in the background.

Taste starts with a bit of sweet caramel malt. That's quickly followed by a rush of piny and citrusy hops. Plenty of grapefruit flavor and a bitter finish. Seems a bit unbalanced with the hops, it could use a bit more malt.

Feel is decent on this beer. It seems a bit thin or watery. Doesn't quite seem right to me. Ample carbonation, medium body. Drinkability is pretty good. It's not too bitter and goes down fairly smooth.

Overall, a decent IPA. If you like an IPA on the very-hoppy side then you might like this. But it's a bit unbalanced for me.

11-04-2008 03:25:39 | More by bkilpatr
Msquared2

3.6/5  rDev -17.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

A: Pours a lovely golden orange color. A small white head laces the top and is nice and frothy.

S: There is a nice floral smell with some pine. After a second or two, some citrus and grapefruit break through.

T and M: The bitterness hits you first. However, a nice piney flavor comes through along with some floral hops that give it a delcious balance of flavor. Good carbonation throughout makes it enjoyable.

O: This is a good IPA but not outstanding. I was expecting more from the hype that surrounds it. Maybe that is the problem though. I had too high of expectations. But it is worth giving a try and I definitely wouldn't turn it down.

09-04-2011 16:39:29 | More by Msquared2
Hop-Droppen-Roll

3.61/5  rDev -17.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Bottled exactly 3 weeks ago :)

Poured into a big curvaceous witbier glass, surprisingly clear at the narrow waist, less transparent toward the top (got cold in transit, chill haze??). Perfect fluffy white two-finger head.

Really grabs my tongue, nice and dry. Taste-wise, maybe I've been having too many double IPAs lately, but I'm a little surprised at the subtlety here. Not a bad thing, just unexpected. The flavor, while subdued, is very pleasant. Nothing but bitter hops. No complaints, but I maybe had my hopes up a bit. The dry, tongue-twisting bitterness is the highlight.

02-07-2014 02:22:41 | More by Hop-Droppen-Roll
opwog

3.63/5  rDev -16.7%

Now listening to: Curtis Mayfield - If There's A Hell Below, We're All Going To Go

Thanks to Beachwood for Blind Pig on tap.

A- hazy golden color, strong head
S- Intense pine and citrus. This one wafts up from the pour.
T- Very much a West Coast hop bomb.
M- Maybe a bit over carbonated. Bitter hops can cinch up the mouth some.
D- For me, I can only handle one beer a week with this level of hop intensity.

08-26-2008 05:45:24 | More by opwog
craytonic

District of Columbia

Fresh bottle

Appearance: Bright golden straw, crisp and clear - radiant and bright. It might glow in the dark. Great head and lacing.

Smell: Delicious hops, citrus, pine, apricot, grapefruit, resin & oils. Very strong aroma, you can smell it across the room. Perhaps a bit too bitter

Taste: Crisp and sharp; although something about the bitterness bothers me

Mouthfeel: Creamy; carbonation is perhaps a bit too aggressive.

Drinkability: Goes down easy enough; but somthing off about the newer batches I have had as compared to two years ago or so.

12-29-2008 15:57:28 | More by craytonic
barleywinefiend

Washington

3.63/5  rDev -16.7%

Thanks to my man rhertan for bringing this back for me.
Poured a deep orange with good carbonation and nice white head. Nose is pine, grapefruit and orange peel. Taste is citrus, piney,toasted and caramel malts and a hop bite on the end. Mouthfeel is noce and chewy with the hop bite and some citrus notes. Drinability is good. I can get a sixer of Union Jack for the price of two Blind Pigs. A good IPA but not one I would seek out again.

02-21-2009 01:18:41 | More by barleywinefiend