Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Blind Pig IPABlind Pig IPA

Wants: 1,805
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,370 | Hads: 5,315
3.75/5  rDev -13.2%
look: 3.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 3.75

This bottle is almost two months old at the time of review. The beer comes in an amber color. There isn't much aroma. A little bit of malt and pine. The taste is a pretty standard west coast malt character with some great hop flavor coming through. I think I would enjoy a fresher bottle more.

4.99/5  rDev +15.5%

Received two bottles in a West Coast to East Coast trade.

A: Golden coloring, slightly orange. Off white head with great lacing.
S: Very citrusy and piney. Smells juicy!
T: Nice sweet pineapple and citrus flavors throughout, with a small amount of toasty malt.
M: Slight bitterness with a juicy, wet feel. The finish is somewhat dry.
O: This is a fantastic beer which is overlooked sometimes due to the hype that Pliny the Elder receives. I would definitely recommend a fresh Bling Pig to anyone, cheers!

4.81/5  rDev +11.3%

I loved this beer got this sent to me in a 22oz. Poured good taste was great I think this is the best beer from Russian River. Wish I could get it more out here in NJ.

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Total classic, and I kinda love that the taste is "classic IPA" in nature -- piney bitterness in this one. Very floral. Some caramel sweetness as well that pokes through, but the story here is that piney bitterness that sits on the back of your tongue well through the last gulp. Nose is nice, pine, caramel, some faint citrus and a light herbal/earthy character.

4.59/5  rDev +6.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

A very approachable IPA for amount of hop it carries, with lots of depth of flavour and a very dry finish.
S- Its sweet on the nose, with hints of rye bread and apricot.
T- Subtle and complex this beer goes through the full typical ipa fruit spectrum but carries nice cardamon, cumin and butterscotch as well. The hop is in the middle allowing time for a sweetness fresh finish that prevents any of the cloying build up that many hop-heavy ipa's have.
F: Very dry, light but not thin.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

I really liked this beer and it certainly lived up to the hype. I am not one of the people who thinks this beer is better than Pliny, but this was still an awesome beer.

1.87/5  rDev -56.7%
look: 3.75 | smell: 1.75 | taste: 1.5 | feel: 2.25 | overall: 2

510 ml bottled on 082615. Exactly two weeks old.

L: Clear golden in color. Small head quickly settled before I even get a chance to instagram it :) very nice lancing. Beautiful appearance for sure.

S: Big fail. This one is not aromatic. If there's no date on the bottle I would assume this is pretty old. Very light citrus, light caramel and hint of pine.

T: bland, reminds me of an old english-style ipa. I can't believe the hype of this beer. There's a light spicy/herbal flavors that I can't describe but noting really unique.

M: unpleasantly dry aftertaste, very bitter, and very light. Extremely drinkable but not sticky or juicy. Very good carbonation however, I really enjoyed that part.

O: Maybe the most underwhelming drinking experience. Extremely overhyped beer. This is nothing close to a good ipa, definitely below average ipa.

4.58/5  rDev +6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

On tap:
Pale yellow, lightly hazed beer. I like the light pale color, the white addition seems a tad odd.??head makes up for the color, though: nice, white, and foamy at the edges. Lacing comes in spotted sheets.

The nose is surprisingly . Warmth brings out some grassy notes. I also get a little lemon rind.
The taste, however (and mildly paradoxically) is quite enjoyable. Mildly hoppy opening that seems clean of malt. The initial taste I get reminds me of noble hops. More hops pile on that add a more distinctively grassy flavor. Despite the draw on the tongue this brings, it somehow seems refreshing with hints of citrus-including the lemon rind from the nose.

Finally the somewhat unexpected spice bite hits. It's sort of like I picked a stalk of grass from a field and stuck it in my mouth like I did when I was a kid to emulate what I assumed farmers did.

Solid IPA.

4.41/5  rDev +2.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

One of my favorite IPA's.

Look- Pours a beautiful slightly hazy pale orange with small streams of carbonation.

Smell- Citrusy, hoppy, and a tad sweet, not as aromatic as other IPA's though.

Taste- Wonderfully citrusy and hoppy, ever so slightly sweet that balances out the bitter perfectly. Very very tasty.

Feel- Quite light and easy to drink for the style. Many IPA's I have had are almost a meal in themselves, but not this one. Very refreshing and drinkable.

Overall- As I said earlier, it's my favorite IPA. Very easy to drink, perfectly balanced, and very tasty. I definitely recommend and I will definitely buy again.

3.22/5  rDev -25.5%

Bottle 8/10 poured into a sniffer on 9/4

Look: Appears a golden-orange color. Lots of very large soapy bubbles with small bubbles coming from the bottom of the glass
Smell: Aroma is honey and malt with some citrus elements. It also has a “dirty” water smell to it which I haven’t experienced before with a beer.
Taste: Taste is malt flavor followed pine and sap notes. Bitterness rolls during the middle and leaves the mouth dry. Maybe it is the age of the bottle but the taste disappointing giving the “prestige” around this beer
Feel: Crisp. The malt gives it a nice feel in the middle of the mouth
Overall it definitely has the balance I expect from RR but this was way too muted in flavor for my taste. Maybe I need to drink it fresher but given this experience I wouldn’t purchase it again if given other choices.

4.25/5  rDev -1.6%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.25

In my thoughts this is by far the best of the Russian River's popular beers. Pliney is good, but Blind Pig knocks it out the park. Smooth and tasteful. Check out our review on the Two Guys Drinking Beer podcast.

4.1/5  rDev -5.1%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4 | feel: 3.75 | overall: 4.25

Ok.. Russian does outstanding beers period, but this one did not live up to the hype.. Plenty of bitterness and quite hoppy made it a little unbalanced for me, still an exceptional beer which I'll try any day of the week..good IPA RR!

4.85/5  rDev +12.3%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

RR knows their IPA's and this one is done just as well as thier flaghip Pliny. Very smooth and easy drinking. Coppery coloring, fresh hops with both citrus and pine. Excited to dive into the 6 pack I just got from RR.

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

A very tasty and easy to drink brew from Russian River. I was expecting a little more but I didn't get it. This beer seems like it is a little brother to Pliny the Elder.,I still would have another one and I would recommend you try it for yourself. If someone offered one to me I would not turn it down!!

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Blind Pig on draft is a very exciting experience. I find it very smooth with subtle tropical fruit flavors with a big hoppy finish that linger for some time. Carbonation seems to be middle of the road, and the head dissipates almost immediately. Other than that, I love this beer and will walk miles, once a week, to savor a pint or two at a very fortunate bar.

4.4/5  rDev +1.9%

On tap at Monk’s cafe, Philly. Pours deep golden with fluffy white head and nice lacing. Aroma is of citrusy hops, tropical fruit and bready malt. Body is full and tangy. Citrusy hops dominate the palate, while bready malt and ripe fruit provide support. Finish is long and dry. Excellent brew.

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Pours a orange almost red hue with a off white head that disappears pretty quickly. The lacing on this is really nice and wraps the inside of your glass all the way down. Lots of pine and a bit of citrus. Not overly bitter and very well balanced. A top notch IPA.

4.46/5  rDev +3.2%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

16oz Bottle Dated 072715

A — Pours a ruby hued coppery orange hue into the glass. Reminiscent of the label color. Very nicely pours with a puffy khaki colored head. Though it doesn't stick around long, the head settles and leaves some nice lacing behind it and is quite consistent.

S — Smells of lots of fresh hops and is quite bitter, lots of piney, citrusy aromas, lots of character.

T — Nice layers of flavors, quite bright, lots of piney character, some bright bitter citrus, and is overall bitter and resinous without being overly sweet or sticky and cloying.

M — Medium bodied, long and lasting finish, bitter and dry.

O — Quite nice overall, really well done, delicious and balanced.

4.57/5  rDev +5.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.75

Love this beer. As much as Pliny especially after they tweaked the hops in Pliny. Aroma is floral and crisp and fresh. Taste is also crisp with notes of berry and citrus. Not unpleasantly bitter at the end. Beautiful golden color and creamy head.

4.2/5  rDev -2.8%

7/26...on tap at Monk's. Bright copper, low foam, but full lid. Spicy pine nose. Citrus too. Powerful balanced hop cuts through a malty base, grapefruit, pine abounds. Bitter stays with you. Delicious.

4.26/5  rDev -1.4%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.25

Growler poured into Russian River Chalice

L-Clear, golden 1/2 inch head, little retention, minimal lacing

S-Floral, fruity hops.......Mango, papaya, melon, passion fruit

T-Follows the nose, sweet malts, fruity, floral hops.........slight bitterness in the finish

M-Lite to medium body, mild carbonation, chewy

O-Great hop flavor, very drinkable, good balance

4.5/5  rDev +4.2%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.25 | overall: 4.5

Poured into my tulip glass, I might actually like this IPA better than Pliny (The Elder). I know: that sounds ridiculous given the rankings. Pliny is more of a hop bomb, though, and this saps your tongue and tastebuds of their capacity to taste the more nuanced flavors of this amazing brew. Blind Pig, on the other hand, is hop-forward but is not overpowering in bitterness or pine. There is an amazing balance in this brew between green pine, caramel nuttiness, and fresh tropical fruit. Of the citrus, grapefruit and lemon are most notable (in smell and taste). As opposed to Pliny TE, I could drink this all day long… and at 6.1% above, I just might.

4.56/5  rDev +5.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

If you like IPA this is a great tasting beer for you. Balanced hop and citrus flavors that goes down smoothly. Smell has a hint of grapefruit and floral hops.
Great beer especially fresh from the tap!

4.28/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 4.25 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.25 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.25

Look 8/10
Smell 18/20
Taste 36/40
Feel 9/10
Drinkability 18/20

Overall 89/100

Summery: Just ok, Considering the hype from the brewery I suppose I feel let down and it's probably not Blind Pig or Russian Rivers fault. Anyway, this didn't strike me as anything special though. Maybe just because the market is flooded with mega hoppy IPA's. Anyway, its still incredibly smooth, rich and creamy. Definitely worth trying~

3.3/5  rDev -23.6%

This IPA is average at best. It's good, not great. I don't understand the hype and people falling over themselves to get it. I'm sure it's because of the lack of accessibility outside of California or simply because it's a Russian River brew. Either way, I'd pass on this any day over Pliny. There are far more better IPAs out there that the average Joe can pick up at their local beer store or super market. So in summary, don't believe the hype on this one.

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company