Blind Pig IPA - Russian River Brewing Company

Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

Beer added by: RedwoodGeorge on 03-26-2005

Reviews: 1,383 | Hads: 5,383
4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

had on tap in a pint glass.

A - a golden yellow color with a bit of lacing around the top.

S - grapefruit. lots of grapefruit and some pine.

T - grapefruit. and hops. i really like this beer. the hop bitterness comes on a bit earlier than in pliny the younger and isn't quite as intense, but it seems to last a bit longer.

M - medium bodied with a bit of a creamy texture in the mouth.

D - definitely an easy one to drink if you like hoppy ipa's. i could have a few of these for sure and then want it again the next day.

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

Poured from a 500mL bottle into a Dogfish Head pint glass.

A- Deep yellow, bubbly, two fingers of white head, medium lacing.

S- Hoppy, spicy, citrus/lemon/grapefruit, floral, maybe pepper.

T/M- Hops, spice, citrus, very bubbly, creamy, airy, great lingering aftertaste, but not prolonged.

D- Excellent. Not overpowering, but great example of what I think represents the style.

I think craft beers like this are what make me contemplate living on the west coast. Try this if you get the chance, you won't regret it.

4.33/5  rDev +0.2%

Poured from a bottle into a SN tulip. Creamy white 1/2 " head with very nice lacing. A deep golden orange color. Smell was as expected with a West Coast IPA - clean grapefruit and piney notes. How I wish these type brews were a little closer to my place of residence! Taste was excellent - smooth and balanced. An excellent example of a high quality IPA, this ranks up near the top for me.

4.57/5  rDev +5.8%

On tap at Toronado.

Presentation: 16 oz. pint glass.

Appearance: Body is gold with slight orange. Thin off-white head with a bit of lacing.

Smell: Wonderful very hoppy citrus aroma. Detected an almost grain/husky aroma as well.

Taste: Toasty malt upfront, followed by citrus hops, mixed in with sweet malt flavors. The malt and hops flavors dance around each other, each one taking its turn in the foreground. Wonderful bitter aftertaste.

Mouthfeel: Moderate carbonation.

Drinkability: Easy drinking.

Comments: Whenever I go to the Toronado, I order at least one of these. One of my favorite IPAs. Extremely enjoyable.

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

Bottled on 12/19/2011

Appearance: Pale amber color with a white, one finger head that slowly recedes leaving behind tons of lacing. Lots of carbonation rising from the bottom.

Smell: The aroma is smooth and hoppy. Lots of fruit and citrus. Could be a little more aromatic.

Taste: Great taste from the grains and a fantastic blend of hops. Very pleasant bitterness. The taste is very balanced though not quite as balanced as Pliny.

Mouthfeel: Good amount of carbonation and a nice body.

Overall: An excellent IPA that I will definitely be buying again.

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Bottle dated 020209, got as an extra, thanks! I was afraid since I have had fresher BP that this would pale in comparison, it kinda did. The hops weren't as lively and the citrus, although bright, wasn't quite what I remember it to be. This was still a great drink, the color was fantastic, aromas were very good lots of grapefruit. I'd be drinking this fresh if it were more available.

4.42/5  rDev +2.3%

500mL bottle (care of swnicholson- thanks!!) poured into my sam adams glass. Bottle very clearly displays bottled on 070808. Props to russian river for displaying the date so clearly- there's no searching the bottle for a tiny stamped on date that's always illegible (think victory).

The scent of hops jumps right out as soon as I open the bottle. Pours a pale amber with a two-finger foamy head. Grapefruity smell of hops is strong and clean. Looks and smells like a great IPA to me.

Taste gives a crisp kick of hops, with appropriate bitterness. Mouthfeel is full and crisp. Drinkability is rather high, this packs a good hop punch for its 6%ABV.

This isn't a mind blowing beer, but its a top notch representation of the style. Don't kill yourself to get a bottle of this, but if you ever have the opportunity, jump on it.

4.35/5  rDev +0.7%

A-Pours a clear golden amber color with a finger's width head and nice lacing on the glass.
S-Piney hops with citrus floral aromas principally grapefruit and a little lemon and orange.
T-Nice piney hoppy flavor and bitterness melded with mild citrus sweetness and malty afternotes.
M-Moderate feel and carbonation. This is a very refreshing beer. Very clean.
D-Highly drinkable and enjoyable.

4.7/5  rDev +8.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Blind Pig

A: Crystal clear shimmering gold with white froth dome.

S: Had this one one week from bottle date and it kicks the nose nicely. Full of earthy, floral and very light bread/caramel notes.

T: A great delicious hop forward flavor reminiscent of fresh mown grass, slight citrus, with floral hops at the end. A bready biscuit characteristic trickles through the finish.

M: A deliciously medium bodied, pleasantly carbonated beer with a joyful dry finish.

O: It took me forever to getting around to reviewing this beer. It has always been freaking delicous and I honestly don't know whats with the craze towards Pliny (yes it a great beer) but Blind Pig IMO is a more gorgeous well rounded beer.

4.18/5  rDev -3.2%

Thanks to pwoods for the opportunity to try this beer

A- perfeclty clear golden in color with a constant stream of bubbles rising to the surface where a fluffy whit head resides.

S- Hops, hops and more hops and definitely no malt aromas here. some big grapefruit citrusy aromas as well as a bit of spiciness in the backdrop.

T - No surprises here, very similar to the aroma with the grapefruit and pine like hop flavors. almost a sweetness to the taste like a faint powdered sugarness.

M - Really nice in this department. the beer just washes over the tongue with all that hop juiciness but then retreats quickly to the recesses of you belly. Wouldn't call this beer dry by any means just not a lot of residual sweetness which I like a a lot.

D- May I have another...I wish this was more accessible in my area.

4.34/5  rDev +0.5%

Bottle dated 4/16. Received as an extra, big thanks to SpdKilz for this one.

Appearance: Poured the color of natural honey with a slight haze to it. Sitting atop was a solid one and a half fingers of fizzy off-white head. It faded in to a thin layer before I could take my first sip, there was still enough to leave a couple small splotches of lacing down the glass. The head retention was definitely disappointing. The score here would have been even lower if the color wasn't so hypnotizing. It's strange, but in this light it almost looks like it's glowing.

Smell: This was the stand out category with this beer. As soon I popped the cap off I was hit with a strong blast of juicy grapefruit. It only intensified once I poured it into the glass. It's as if I just sliced open a nice, ripe grapefruit and jammed my nose directly into it. Behind that there are shades of pine and a hint of malt that manifests as sweet toffee.

Taste: After the wondrous aroma my expectations had certainly piqued. I have to say I was a bit let down here. The grapefruit is still here and it still has the same delicious fresh, juicy quality as the smell, it just happens to be toned down a couple notches. This allows more of the sweet malt to shine through. It's definitely a solid malt backbone. The resinous, flowery pine is also stronger and vies with the grapefruit for control of the hop character.

Mouthfeel: I'm experiencing a bit of a conundrum here. The body seems to be just a bit on the thin side for my liking. But at the same time it has a highly enjoyable stickiness and creaminess to it. If the body was just the slightest bit fuller this could have possibly been a perfect 5. But it's a major detractor for me.

Drinkability: If I wasn't reviewing this my glass would have been gone far too quickly, it's quite refreshing. It's definitely a very solid IPA. I could drink a few of them without my taste buds screaming for mercy from hop onslaught.

Overall I think this is a very, very good beer. However I've had better IPAs that are distributed locally. Two Hearted comes to mind immediately. But really I think this beer is it's own worst enemy. The smell was just absolutely bombastic. I like to take my time feeling out the aroma of a beer before taking a sip and I think that just set me up for a bit of a let down. Strange but true, at least for me.

4.45/5  rDev +3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

This is the perfect session IPA. Pours a golden orange color with a soapy white head. Has an aroma of grapefruit and pine, with hints of peach and perhaps honey. Has a nice sweet start, then comes the bitter hit with a nice creamy finish. Some sweetness through the finish. Vinnie knows his pale ales.

4.69/5  rDev +8.6%

Pours a light amber color, with a small sticky head. Aroma is clean pine, citrus, flowers and a touch of cannabis. This tastes great; just a tiny bit too rough to get a perfect score. Mouthfeel is likewise nearly perfect, tilted a bit too much to the bitter side. The slight malt flavors help with this though. Very drinkable, I like this better than Pliny.

4.65/5  rDev +7.6%

Consumed about six weeks after it was bottled.

Bright lemon with some apricot and a hint of grapefruit balanced by a subtle sweetness from the malt. The sweetness is perfect and only comes into play in the aftertaste. The beer poured a really creamy head that actually lingered a bit (always makes me happy). Left a beautiful layer of lace on the glass. The appearance is a hazy golden orange.

The nose evolves from acidic hoppy goodness to a more sweet fruity citrus perfume as the beer comes closer to room temperature. The beer is incredibley smooth, although I expect nothing less from Russian River.

I can't get enough of this beer! It gets better and better as I sip it.

4.38/5  rDev +1.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Poured into Guinness pint glass
Bottled 9/30/11

Pours a yellow-amber-orange color, very effervescent, with about a half fingers worth of white head. The head slows into a nice layer on top of the brew, lasting the whole way down. It also leaves gorgeous rings of lace down the entire glass. The dominating scent i am detecting is citrus. To be more exact, peach, orange, and lemon rind. There is also a nice hoppy bitterness to it. Taste follows the nose, citrusy up front, but a sharp hop bitterness keeping it in check. It is followed by a slightly malty flavor that keeps everything balanced. This is very carbonated, but not overly-carbonated, just how i like my IPA's to feel. You can feel the bubbles dancing on your tongue. This is another solid brew by Russian River that I am glad to say that I can find just about anytime that I want.

4.36/5  rDev +0.9%

A - Pours a crystal clear amber with a sudsy head that quickly diminishes. The lacing has some dynamic legs that succumb to gravity and work their way downward to the surface.
S - Floral bouquet of piny hops permeate the majority of the nose on this one, igniting a fervor to quickly get to the sipping exercises.
T - Taste is phenomenal. Amber malts quickly transform into citrusy, spicy hops with some piny notes intermingled. Well-balanced bitterness with a perfectly simple malt bill that accentuates the hops.
M - Very clean and quaffable with an initial spiciness that rounds out to a nice wet finish. Medium body all around with an especially sessionable quality to the texture.
O - Awesome, awesome IPA. One of the most well-rounded, well-balanced, clean IPA's I have had the pleasure to try. Crisp and clean and refreshing! Vinnie knows his craft well.

4.72/5  rDev +9.3%

Mad thanks to fetus for sending me a much sought after brew!! Been waiting a year to get my hands on one of these fine swine beers!

Poured from a 500 bottle into my SN pint glass. It is starting to sound like I need some new glassware! It had a bottled on date of 072308? No clue what that meant, so would love to know when it was truly bottled, but on to the review...an aggressive pour gave me a three finger off-white head that was nice and sticky. Beautiful lacing that lasted throughout! He looked a bit cloudy which I found a bit surprising. Was a deep golden yellow, almost auburn.

Damn did this smell heavenly! A perfect boquet of citrus hops and a bit of spice. This is what smelling balanced is all about.

The taste floored me. There was a sweetness up front with a nice little citrus-hop kick of bitterness in the back. It's backed up solidly with a touch of malt. I am impressed!

The mouthfeel was smooth and creamy...almost perfect!

Drinkability-Hell Yeah! I could put down a couple of these in a sitting and be perfectly content.

Overall, the sweetness in the taste is so damn good! I think that I found an IPA that I can sink my pallet into. Send me more ASAP!!!

4.15/5  rDev -3.9%

A nice drinker if you have better access than I do in Chicago.

A light pour produces about 1/3 head for the pour. Straw yellow and hazy - non-chill haze. Aroma is all hops - primarily grassy and spicy. As you drink it down there's a nice sticky lace.

Taking a slug reveals this to clearly be an A-IPA (nicely non-imperial) but still very hop-dominant. Same hop tastes aroma but with some juicy (pink grapefruit?) citrus. But balanced with smooth malty backbone which keeps the edge off the hops.

The mouthfeel is clearly medium - very manageable for a bold IPA. Finish is slightly bitter/sweet (literally) but still light. Very drinkable - like I said above, if I had access I'd pound a few of these badboys in a sitting.

4.34/5  rDev +0.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 3.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to R and C for picking this up for me when they went to CA.

Poured form a 510 ml bottle with the date code clearly printed on the label (3/26/13) into a pint glass and get 1 1/4 finger of head.

A: Pours a light gold color about the color of iced tea and I get 1 1/4 finger of head that is rocky and has big bubbles. The head dissipates slowly and leaves more than just a covering on top of my glass. There is a lot of beautiful sticky lacing from the top to the bottom of the glass.

S: Not a big smell of hops but a nice aroma of citrus hops.

T: This is really fruit basket of taste. Taste of tropical fruit like pineapple and mango and some red grapefruit.

O: This beer is smooth and refreshing. I don't think it's a hop-bomb but a more subtle taste that goes down smooth. It is full-bodied and lightly carbonated. Just a very enjoyable beer.

4.6/5  rDev +6.5%
look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle dated 01-02-13

A- clear pale golden

S- bright lemon, hint of spice and malt.

T- bright lemon, malt and earthiness

M- light body, strong carbonation

O- fantastic. Wish I could have it every day in the summer. Drank a hopslam yesterday and I enjoy and prefect the lighter body and big hops.

4.37/5  rDev +1.2%

Elegant copper/amber huge with a decent two finger creamy head that laced very well...

Huge citrus and pine aroma almost creamy with a sensation of freshness.

Flavor profile focuses on citrus rind of a hop bite with a thick creamy and incredibly smooth mouthfeel with a hint of sweetness. Hop taste resonates without brutalizing the palate as the carbonation and alcohol give a vibe going down dry.

Excellent IPA that blends well with any spicy meal.

4.23/5  rDev -2.1%

EDIT: Just realized this bottle is nearly four months old. I'll be re-reviewing once I get my hands on a fresher bottle.

I'll be brewing a Blind Pig clone in the next few days, so I figured I ought to get reacquainted with the what the finished product should taste like.

Pours a light to medium golden yellow with a fluffy off-white inch-thick head. The head dissipates after a few minutes revealing a good amount of lacing.

Nose is grapefruit, pine, and hint of vanilla. Taste is largely the same; lots of citrus with more of the pine coming forth on the swallow. Body and carbonation are both relatively light. Nothing too complex going on, just a solid and tasty IPA. Malt presence is light but reasonably well-balanced. Finish is piney, then clean and crisp.

Although Blind Pig is widely accepted as the quintessential example of a West Coast IPA, it's probably not my favorite example of the style. I suppose I've just grown to enjoy what others have accomplished with the American IPA a bit more. That said, no other IPA touches it in terms of drinkability, and its probably the IPA I would use to convert SNPA drinkers to something with a bit more 'oomph'.

Another winner from Russian River.

4.32/5  rDev 0%

Poured from a bottle into a pint glass.

Appearance was a nice copper color with a bright white head. Head dissipated quickly.

Aroma was amazing, tons of grapefruit hops, lots of juicy citrus.

Taste was great, nice malt backbone for all those hops. Again, tons of juicy, fruity, citrusy hops. Bitterness is very present, and lasts into the aftertaste.

Mouthfeel was nice, well carbonated beer, but not too high for the style.

Drinkability was fine, got though the bottle myself, alcohol wasn't too much, bitterness isn't mouth puckering. Great IPA.

4.22/5  rDev -2.3%

Reviewed 4/20/11, bottled 3/2/11. Tulip glass.

A- An overzealous pour produced close to 3" of rocky off-white head. Clear glowing pale orange beer. The head dropped off to a dusting but left behind some nice long trails of lacing.

S- Vibrant citrus/sweet orange. Great smell.

T- Nice smooth bitter hops all around. Citrusy and leafy. No trace of the malt. The light bitter finish starts of weak, but grows over the course of a bottle.

M- Medium bodied. Very strong active carbonation which I liked. At first it seems a bit thin, but it coats the mouth nicely over time.

O- A nice smooth bitter IPA. All hop flavor, no malt, which is OK with me. Definitely hits the spot.

4.27/5  rDev -1.2%

Pretty beer. Big foam head that leaves modest lacing. Body is amber with an orange hue. Carbonation remains active, and the relatively transparent body allow you to watch bubbles rising throughout.

Smells of grapefruit hops, with little hints of sweet malts sneaking out every now and then.

Hops taste sweet on the front of the tongue - quite refreshing - before transitioning to bitter on the back. Sweet caramel malts provide structure to the flavor, but the hops are unmistakably the stars of this.

This medium body carries well. Carbonation is great.

This is a delicious beer. Nothing out of the ordinary, but a lot of simple makes a little great.

Blind Pig IPA from Russian River Brewing Company