Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

BeatificationBeatification

Wants: 2,830
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beatification Alström Bros

Batch 2

Poured from a bottle at monk's kettle

It poured a nice lite yellow, an off gold heather straw color. With a mighty funk odor presiding from the glass. This beer was super tart and super dry, with a strong citric taste. There was also a very bretty taste. The taste was very malleable, varying from sip to sip, jumping from the barnyard brett to a bone dry lemon making it a pleasure to drink. That combined with the low ABV, lack of sweetness and the pleasant fuzziness, I could have drunken this all day. Yet this review still comes out a bit drunk. Go figure!

4.97/5  rDev +9%

Thanks to an awesome BA who poured me the last few oz of his bottle. Review from notes on 4/24/10

A - Poured a nicely hazy lemon yellow/tangerine with a frothy white head. Not much retention, as expected with most wild ales. Sparkles in the sun. Wow. 4.5

S - This is simply fantastic. So much going on here, yet I feel I'll be doing this beer injustice by attempting to describe it. But here goes. A crisp tart aroma similar to extremely tart lemons, a touch of that "barnyard" funkiness like a bit of earthy mushrooms, a very small bit of grass and a bit of oak. This is simply excellent. 5.0

T - Extraordinary tartness explodes with citrusy and a faint kiwi-like flavor. Followed closely with that distinct "barnyard" earthiness and a long, sour finish. I wish my vocabulary for wild and sour beers was better. 5.0

M - Light, crisp, well carbonated. So incredibly smooth. There is no "bite", nor is it lacking carbonation in any way. So well balanced. 5.0

D - What do you think?! This is phenomenal. Truly an enlightening experience in my beer ventures. 5.0

4.97/5  rDev +9%

Batch PH1. Served in an Ommegang glass.

A: Brilliantly clear, highly carbonated amber body. There was an initially thick white head but it fell quickly leaving nothing on the sides of the glass but only a rim of head on the edge.

S: The La Folie influence on the aroma is overwhelming. I can immediately recognize it. The aroma is nice and tart with some citrus notes. VERY inviting.

T: Damn, I love wild ales and this one is outstanding. Very pronounced tartness but it still manages to be smooth. Great pucker effect. The flavor has an earthy note typical of Brett. There are also some sour cherries lurking in the background. This is really a top notch beer. Brew this again Russian River!!

M: The carbonation is great on this and gives it a great mouthfeel. It takes what would otherwise be a pretty light bodied beer up a notch or two and gives it enough body to last.

D: Outstanding. Perfect. Top notch. Insert any other compliments you can think of. Especially when you consider that it is only 5.5% ABV, the drinkability on this is out of the park. This is by far my favorite RR beer and certainly one of the best beers I have had.

Edit: When you drink this beer, pour the yeast into the last sip. It is excellent.

4.96/5  rDev +8.8%

Batch 2
375 ml bottle consumed on 12/13/2011

A: Light gold and yellow in color and quite clear. Carbonation creates bubbling in the glass, white lacing, and a quickly fading white head.

S: Powerful citrus and funky aroma. Really strong lemon aromas are an indicator of the sourness to come.

T: Delivers really strong tart and sourness tastes. Amazing sour that redefines my definition of a sour bomb. I thought the other RR sours were sour, but this one wins the prize.

M: Very sour and dry finish.

O: One of the toughest RR sours to track down, but definitely worth it. This is the gold standard for tart and sourness, though I would not go as far as saying this is drinkable. It is definitely enjoyable, but should be savored.

4.96/5  rDev +8.8%

A: Pineapple juice.

S: Lemons, grass, brett.

T: Quite tart, but not overpowering. Clean lemon juice and green apples with a slight touch of non-cloying, tropical sweetness; almost like the pineapple juice that's present in the appearance.

M: Pleasantly dry and puckering.

O: Outstanding. I braced myself against the hype, preparing for this to be underwhelming and was wrong. Beatification is every bit deserving of the hype.

4.95/5  rDev +8.6%

Poured from bottle into a Krombacher glass.

A - Gold with a bit of head and bubbles rising to the top. Champagne like effect

S - Lemon, orange, sour candy

T - Very, very sour. Lots of grapefruit and orange. Incredible sour.

M - Light body with lots of carbonation. The sourness lingers.

O - Great beer. One of the best I've had and every bit as good as Supplication.

4.95/5  rDev +8.6%

Updated. Last vintage I had was 18 months old. This is just 3. Poured into Lost Abbey Teku.

Appearance is a beautiful golden straw color with a small soapy white head that dissipates to little bodies of bubbles atop the liquid. Effervescent carbonation coming up from the bottom. This seems to look a lighter color than the last batch.

Aroma is heavy grass, lemon, lime, light nectarine, pineapple, and subtle earthy mustiness. Smells grassier and less fruity than the last batch. But beautifully balanced nose.

On the palate, ah yes this Beatification! Once again beautiful balance between sweet, tart, oak, and dry finish. This one has less pucker and is due to its young age. Flavors of lemon peel, Granny Smith apple, green pasture, pineapple, under ripe nectarine, lime pulp, oak, and light Chardonnay.

Mouthfeel is spot on for the style. Light body, spritzy, even pucker through the palate with a slight incline on the finish as the beer drys out.

Overall this is a prime example of the mastery Vinnie possesses. A work of balance, very puckering but not overly so. Less funky than most traditional gueuzes but where it lacks funk it makes up in other nuances that make the beer just as divine if not more unique. Which I believe is the intention.

4.93/5  rDev +8.1%

I just returnet to the United States after a seven month combat deployment in support of Opperation Iraqi Freedom and Opperation Enduring Freedom. I have wanted a great beer for a long time, and I have been anxiously awaiting the day I got to have a truely great sour beer. I waited until the last day of my vacation to open it.

This beer pours a clear golden yellow color with an almost non existant head that disappears instantly, leaving no laces. It looks quite thin.

This beer as a sour aroma. It smells slightly of viniger, but not in a bad way at all. It has a fruity aroma also. Mostly apple, but with some lemon. It has a slight earthy yeast aroma as well.

This beer tastes like it smells. Sour, and great. Slightly viniger like. It has a citrusy fruit flavor of lemons. Also so apple flavor. Mmmmm, that sour flavor is great.

This beer is thin, and very low in carbonation, suiting it quite nicely. It is very crisp, and refreshing.

I think this beer would make a great session beer. It tastes great, and is low in alcohol. I know that after a few, I could still taste the complexity of this fine beer. If I could get a few cases of it, I would love it.

Overall: Great beer by a great brewer. I have been wanting it for quite some time, and now I am satisfied. I WILL have this one again. If they ever make a Batch 3.

Batch 5, bottled 10JAN12

Upon popping the cork and sticking my nose at the bottle neck, my initial response was to say aloud, while alone, "Why the shit is this not a regular?! Get your shit together Vinnie."

This is a crispy golden beer with a solid, fluffy, white cap and a resilient central emission of carb rises from the bottom. Lemon zest, manure, hay, arugula, horse hair, soil, yogurt and hell yeah emit from the aqueous solution. One of the most tart beers I've tasted, lemon juice, hints of bitterness, mud, weed roots, dandelion - this beer is insane. Medium bodied with higher carb than I'd prefer (easily remedied with the amount of shaking and whiffing I'm doing) and a semi dry, yet mouth watering finish.

This is the best American Wild Ale I've had (sans fruit). Just. Fucking. Outstanding.

Batch #2

Can't thank Troy enough for this extremely generous gift.

Between my new job and our wedding anniversary, today seems like the perfect day to pull this one out of the cellar end enjoy it with the wife.

A faint pop as I remove the cork. The white head is fleeting, leaving a cloudy golden body. Looks like a saison, but with a smaller head.

Apple cider vinegar, tropical fruit brett; a sour, funky aroma.

One of the most complex American beers I have ever tasted. Pineapple, lemon juice, brett, lactic acid, no real oak flavor. Deep fruit notes combine with a complex sourness. Up there with the best Belgian Lambics as far as I'm concerned. Can't put it into words, just fantastic.

4.93/5  rDev +8.1%

Shared a bottle of this with some fellow BAs at Ebenezer's in Lovell, Maine. Great place!

Poured into a wine glass. Clear golden/orange body with a thin white head that fades to a faint ring. Very musty funky aroma. Flavor is of lemon zest, sour apples, very vinous, and acidic. Very astringent finish. Bubbly on the tongue, finishes very dry.

Excellent representation of the style. This may be my absolute favorite American Wild ale.

4.93/5  rDev +8.1%

Thanks to nickd717 for shipping me out some of this. 750 ml bottle batch 003.

Pours a murky straw yellow orangish color. Tons of tiny carbonation bubbles float to the top. The head is white and doesn't have the best retention in the world.

The nose very vinous, with extreme hints of tart and sour apple, white grape juice, wet leather, some musty earthiness. Extremely complex and it evolves as it warms, become more complex and giving off new smells every sip.

This is intense. I've had Russian River before but never been blown away like this. If I could give taste a 6, I'd still want to give it a 7. Sour and tart fruits, mainly apples and grapes, very vinous and acidic. Surprisingly has a sweet side along with the sour, a very nice balance. Musty and funky, but just the right amount. Not overpowering but adds enough to take this to a whole new plain of existence. Seriously the best tasting sour I've ever had.

Mouthfeel is light to medium with a soft floating carbonation, almost fluffy. Finishes a bit dry, but nothing too intense.

Drinkability is amazing. I can't imagine a 750 ml going faster than this one would if I didn't pace myself. This is liquid gold in a bottle. I was thinking about trading my second bottle but I'm now having serious doubts and second thoughts.

Batch PH1

Appearance - 375 ml bottle of the PH1 graciously traded to me by bennetj17. The bottle opens with the kind of energetic pop normally reserved for champagne. As I pour Beatification into a wine glass it only makes a small effort to inflate a choppy head, but quickly loses interest and lets it fall. The La Folie barrel has contributed some red/amber tones to the pale base beer. The first pour has just a hint of haze whereas the second pour in nearly opaque from the sediment.

Smell - At first there is a rush of lambic-like acidity, but it almost immediately dissipates into lavender and perfume. As the beer warms the vanilla laden oak appears and a hint of vinegar emerges. So good I kept smelling the empty glass even after the beer was gone.

Taste - The acidity is beautiful, soft like fresh squeezed lemons. There are a multitude of flavors ranging from dried flowers to toasted oak to the occasional sour cherry. The sourness strikes a perfect balance with the other components, it complements without being overbearing or lasting.

Alcohol? Hops? Malt? Who needs them! This is just acids, esters and funk.

Mouthfeel - Despite being such a small and dry beer the sharp carbonation and tartness cover up its slender body.

Drinkability & Notes - Its amazing what 2 years in a La Folie barrel have done to Redemption. A beer unlike any other, closest to a gueuze that isn't completely obscured by sourness. Another masterpiece from one of the great brewing artists; God how I wish I had a case of these to nurse for the next 10 years...

Batch 002 (Spontaneous)

Appearance - Perfectly clear golden-yellow. Thin white head with decent retention for a sour beer. The second pour brings some haze from the yeast sediment.

Smell - An amazingly distinct grapefruit aroma, there is some apricot, and pineapple as well. Some acidity, but it is not sharp or acetic.

Taste - Very citrusy (citric acid?), different than any sourness I have tasted in a beer. Vinnie has said that his large Kloeckera apiculata flora is responsible for this character. There is some rougher Brett/Gueuze like funk, but it is mostly hidden behind the fruitiness. Very little oak character due to the used barrels, just a pure expression of the RR house funk.

Mouthfeel - The lingering coating acidity dominates the mouthfeel. The body is not as thin or highly carbonated as a Gueuze, but it is still thin and spritzy.

Drinkability & Notes - It's been awhile since I wrote a review, but figured this one was worth it. It isn't as good as the first batch, it lacks the same drinkability and complexity, but it is still one of the most distinct and interesting American sour ales out there. Thanks to Dyan for the bottle.

4.93/5  rDev +8.1%

This is the Batch 001-PH1 version, also held for more than a year.

It pours from 375ml caged and corked bottle a very effervescent clear light gold with a large head of foam that quickly shrinks to about a 1 finger head but doesn't shrink much more than that.

The smell is sour dominated but I also get notes of citrus, yeast, and some malt. Dang. I could smell this one for almost forever but on to the tasting...

The taste, like the nose, is dominated by this wonderful sourness that completely has my palate at attention and craving for more. More sips in and it starts to get more complex. Huge funk to be found here along with a healthy malt presence in the background and some very tasty pepper, coriander, and more spices than I can identify and the fruity flavours of orange, apricot, and peach make my mouth pucker a bit but damn they are tasty. Also, the second pour gives me some sediment to give it a cloudy and more orange appearance(why would I leave the fine sediment in the bottle as the label suggests????) and the foam "talks" to me not unlike a bowl of Rice Krispies.;^)

It has a medium mouthfeel to it and the carbonation is also medium inspite of what I saw in the initial pour. It finishes sour and leaves a nice long tasty aftertaste. Man, am I wild about RR American Wild Ales and to me, this one goes just a bit over the top compared to the non PH1 sample. I'm *really* digging this beer and boy, I get this all in a 5.5%abv brew...The drinkability just shoots through the roof!!

Bottom line: This may be my favourite offering from RR to date and I've had a fair sampling...all were, imho, outstanding. I still say RR may be the best brewery in America. Beatification is another brew that does them proud! Highly highly recommended!!

4.93/5  rDev +8.1%

A big thanks to tangfoot for trading me this bottle.

I had something else in mind for my 200th review but it is warm today and my palate is asking for a break from all the double/imperial/barrel-aged strong ales I've been drinking so I decided to pop this beer instead.

This is from Batch 001.

Big pop once I was able to take the cork out. I'm glad this one is not a gusher like the Temptation I had not too long ago.

Pours a bright golden color with a touch of apple juice color. About an inch of foam quickly forms as this beer seems to be very effervescent, but it settles rather fast and leaves a white ring behind.

Wow, the aroma is incredible. Tart cherries, apples, vinegar, pears, acidic strawberry, just a great combination of sour and tart fruits. It also has some vinous and faint oak aromas in the background. This beer made my mouth water. The funkiness is still there but it blends really well with the fruity aromas. Later on I pick up some orange, tangerine, and I believe the cherry becomes more pronounced. The pale malt is trying to peek through with some sweetness and hints of toast and caramel but it's easily overpowered by the vibrant and tart fruitiness.

First taste is of some tart fruits and vinegar with a funky/brett finish and the pale malt also comes through in the finish. I'm starting to pick out the apples/apple skins, pears, strawberry, cherries and raspberries. The beer has a wonderful acidity level and at times I feel like I'm biting into a really sour green apple...yum! As it warms up the wood notes become more apparent and linger for a little bit in the finish.

The mouth-feel is light since it's only a 5.5% blond ale but it's still madly carbonated and goes well with the acidity. The carbonation is still aggressive on the tongue but surprisingly it finishes rather clean and almost velvety in the end. Sadly, this beer drinks rather fast since it's flavorful, refreshing and light...oh how I crave more beers like this!
The finish is also dry but not an excessive dryness, just enough to make you want to take another sip soon.

And now I'm sad cause it's gone. Looking forward to the next batch coming in soon!

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%

Bottle poured into a tasting glass. Batch 003. I believe thanks go out to Andrew for sharing this with us! Been a longtime want on my list.

(A)- Pours a hazy pale yellow straw color that produced a white head that dissipated after awhile. (4.5)

(S)- Dry, with an earthy hay/clay background. Some really nice tart citrus fruits. Hints of a dry, clean cheesy lactic acidity. (4.5)

(T)- Rather sour with the same nice fruits. Rather earthy like the smell with hay funk and some clay. Crisp. I really like the subtle oak woodiness that mingles in the background on this. (5.0)

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. So smooth, yet so crisp and sour. Complex to a point, but just delivers on mouthfeel in a harmonious way. (5.0)

(D)- Just a beautiful beer. Balanced with everything in the right place. Could not ask for anything better in the style. (5.0)

(original review: A+ / 4.8)
___
**Updated Review**
750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a stemmed glass. Batch 003

(A)- Pours a beautiful clear golden yellow/orange color that produced a good white fluffy head that stuck around for awhile. Plenty of lacing left behind. A sweet looking color.

(S)- A wonderfully dry funky earth with some acidic and tart lemon rind. Its actually kind of simple, but is just such a sexy smell that I could enjoy its aroma all day.

(T)- Same as the smell. A wonderfully dry earthy funk with a mouthpuckering lemon rind and white grape sourness. Again, simple, but so dynamic and sexy in my opinion that it deserves the top mark.

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. A massive acidic sourness, but an assertive dry earthy fruit funk to back it up. It really reminds me of a superb Gueuze.

(D)- Just a wonderfully sexy wild ale! A great feel, smell, and taste. It really is just about perfect. The sourness is quite potent however; just enough to not get a perfect in drinkability.
This having been my second time trying it, I really do think it deserves the updated score I am giving it. Rareness and demand aside, this is really world class in every way. Makes me want to try some of the older batches to compare with this, but I doubt that will ever happen. Russian River needs to release a new batch of this asap!

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%

A - Pours a hazy golden-yellow color with a finger of frothy white head atop. The head fades down at a normal pace leaving behind some nice lacing.

S - Aroma is full of barnyard funk with sour peach and pear and other light fruits. There is also some lemon peel and other citrus flavors with some oak.

T - Starts off with lots of sourness and funk with some pear and other tart light fruits and lots of farmhouse flavors. Through the middle, some more funky flavors comes through with some Brett and other wild yeast flavors and some oak. The finish is a mix of funky wild yeast flavors with lots of farmhouse flavors, strong sourness, oak, and some lemon peel.

M - Medium bodied with moderate-plus carbonation. Feels smooth with a sour and funky finish.

D - Very drinkable. The sourness and funky flavors are so strong, but at the same time the beer feels very balanced. I really like the wild yeast flavors.

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%

750 ml bottle sharred with 4 other BA's, I forgot who brought this but a huge thanks to whoever you are.

Batch 3

A- Really clear, golden straw color, nice carbonation coming off the bottom, no head, or lacing.
S- Really nice aroma, sweet and sour at the same time, big fruity notes, lemon zest, sour apple, peach, awesome aroma, I cannot wait to try this.
T- Wow amazing, very sour and puckering but sweet at the same time, apricot, peach, vinegar, sour apple, grape skin, lemon, absolutley delicious.
M- Medium mouth feel, decent carbonation, fizzy, dry finish.
O- Amazing beer, very impressed, love the acidity, vinegar, sour apple, easy drinkability, puckering, one of if not the best sour I have ever had.

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%

I shared this at my tasting on August 7, 2010. Served alongside six other Russian River wild ales.

Batch 003

A: Beatification appears a very hazy yellow hue. There is a small head comprised of white bubbles that leaves a little lacing on the glass.

S: The aroma is simply amazing. I was expecting great things, and was not disappointed. Sour funk, lemons, hay, and brettanomyces are the basic makeup of the scents.

T: Not surprisingly, Beatification tastes phenomenal, as the fine aroma would indicate. Really tart, this is almost like a lemon gueuze. The aroma is staggering as you get the glass near your face, then the flavor is just awesome. The taste was an instant 5. World class.

M: As sour as this beer is, there is no harshness or astringent aspects to it. A pleasant pucker and lingering aftertaste with every drink.

D: I would drink this every day if it were feasible. Wow.

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Bottle of Batch 2

A - Golden color with minimal head, no sediment, a some carbonation. A small head forms, and dissipates quickly to leave nothing behind.

S - All sour and funk. Almost like a white wine, there is a smell of grapes and green apples.

T - Lots of sourness, with a ton of flavors. Lemons, grapefruit, grapes, apples, and oak. Wish this was a bigger bottle, as 4oz was just not enough to really appreciate it.

M - Carbed well, lighter body. Just feels right for the style. Finishes with a dry sourness that lingers for a bit. Well done.

O - Batch 3 was my favorite beer of all time, and now this one has taken that over. This is a beer that could age forever, and just get better. Can't wait to open another.

4.88/5  rDev +7%