Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 2,862
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beatification Alström Bros
4.9/5  rDev +7.2%

A - Pours a hazy golden-yellow color with a finger of frothy white head atop. The head fades down at a normal pace leaving behind some nice lacing.

S - Aroma is full of barnyard funk with sour peach and pear and other light fruits. There is also some lemon peel and other citrus flavors with some oak.

T - Starts off with lots of sourness and funk with some pear and other tart light fruits and lots of farmhouse flavors. Through the middle, some more funky flavors comes through with some Brett and other wild yeast flavors and some oak. The finish is a mix of funky wild yeast flavors with lots of farmhouse flavors, strong sourness, oak, and some lemon peel.

M - Medium bodied with moderate-plus carbonation. Feels smooth with a sour and funky finish.

D - Very drinkable. The sourness and funky flavors are so strong, but at the same time the beer feels very balanced. I really like the wild yeast flavors.

4.9/5  rDev +7.2%

750 ml bottle sharred with 4 other BA's, I forgot who brought this but a huge thanks to whoever you are.

Batch 3

A- Really clear, golden straw color, nice carbonation coming off the bottom, no head, or lacing.
S- Really nice aroma, sweet and sour at the same time, big fruity notes, lemon zest, sour apple, peach, awesome aroma, I cannot wait to try this.
T- Wow amazing, very sour and puckering but sweet at the same time, apricot, peach, vinegar, sour apple, grape skin, lemon, absolutley delicious.
M- Medium mouth feel, decent carbonation, fizzy, dry finish.
O- Amazing beer, very impressed, love the acidity, vinegar, sour apple, easy drinkability, puckering, one of if not the best sour I have ever had.

4.9/5  rDev +7.2%

I shared this at my tasting on August 7, 2010. Served alongside six other Russian River wild ales.

Batch 003

A: Beatification appears a very hazy yellow hue. There is a small head comprised of white bubbles that leaves a little lacing on the glass.

S: The aroma is simply amazing. I was expecting great things, and was not disappointed. Sour funk, lemons, hay, and brettanomyces are the basic makeup of the scents.

T: Not surprisingly, Beatification tastes phenomenal, as the fine aroma would indicate. Really tart, this is almost like a lemon gueuze. The aroma is staggering as you get the glass near your face, then the flavor is just awesome. The taste was an instant 5. World class.

M: As sour as this beer is, there is no harshness or astringent aspects to it. A pleasant pucker and lingering aftertaste with every drink.

D: I would drink this every day if it were feasible. Wow.

4.9/5  rDev +7.2%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Bottle of Batch 2

A - Golden color with minimal head, no sediment, a some carbonation. A small head forms, and dissipates quickly to leave nothing behind.

S - All sour and funk. Almost like a white wine, there is a smell of grapes and green apples.

T - Lots of sourness, with a ton of flavors. Lemons, grapefruit, grapes, apples, and oak. Wish this was a bigger bottle, as 4oz was just not enough to really appreciate it.

M - Carbed well, lighter body. Just feels right for the style. Finishes with a dry sourness that lingers for a bit. Well done.

O - Batch 3 was my favorite beer of all time, and now this one has taken that over. This is a beer that could age forever, and just get better. Can't wait to open another.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.88/5  rDev +6.8%

PH1 acquired directly at the brewery about a year and a half ago. Aged at 45F ever since. Pours clean and simple with a nice thick head that dissipates quickly. Nice tight carbonation. Sour and brett up in the front of the tongue, super clean finish at the end. Very wonderfully complex, low alcohol and drinkable. 10/10 on the belgian "digestability scale". Outstanding.

look: 5 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.88/5  rDev +6.8%

I shared my batch 2 next to Oreo's batch 3 at our EPIC sour tasting...

The batch 2 was my top want, so thanks to titosupertramp!

This is amazing. The batch 2 is less carbonated, but the same color. Batch 3 has a small white head.

The smells are similar. 3 is funky, but not as dry as 2. The lemony am lactic sour is more prominent in 3, but still in 2.

The tastes are both excellent... They both follow the noses-- 2 is dry and funky with a great balance and 3 is super lactic and tart with a good funkiness hiding underneath.

The body on 2 is less carbonated than 3, but they're both fantastic-- medium body with a good bite.

This is my top sour. Either batch. I would drink these constantly. This is easily one of the top sours in the world.

4.88/5  rDev +6.8%

A bottle from Batch 002 opened up by Bobby yesterday during our tasting (you can never have too many Russian River wild ales).

A: A disappointingly quiet popping of the cork on this bottle. Despite that, the beer seems to still be fairly well carbonated. The pour itself is a hazy light golden color with a thin white head.

S: The nose is still very, very acidic. The lemony, lactic tartness is really the star of the show with some white grapes and green apple notes as well. There's really not much in the way of funk, but that's not really a problem for me.

T: The flavor picks up where the nose leaves off with a really intense lemon sourness. There are some flavors of green apple and white grape as the nose would indicate, but this bottle is not quite as puckering as others I've had.

M: The level of carbonation is just about perfect, with great effervescence really allowing the acid to really come through. The finish is very sour and dry, as you would expect.

D: I've always been a huge fan of the intense sourness that Beatification has, and this is no exception. I always enjoy the opportunity to open up a bottle.

4.88/5  rDev +6.8%

750ml bottle caged and corked. Poured into a tasting glass a couple of times :)

A- Pours a hazy golden color. A thin white head. Some light subtle lacing left behind. It's kind of bubbly.

A- Big bretty funky goodness right up front and in charge. There is a oak presence and slight hint of lemon. Sour and funky. A sharp chardonnay scent creeps up on me.

T- Perfect, hands down! The funky brett and sourness is absolutely amazing. Again, as in the nose, I pick up on lemon, chardonnay, oak, some more funk, a little more sourness and a little more funk. There is also some sour apple taste that I'm really enjoying. Did I mention I LOVE this beer.

M- Medium in body. A crisp dry finish. Carbonation was spot on. Leaves a lingering tartness. Again, I can't think of anything to say bad about this beer.

D- PERFECT! My favorite out of all the sours we consumed. One of my favorite beers to date!

4.88/5  rDev +6.8%

Batch 2. Pours a completely opaque goldenrod color into a tulip glass. Half a finger of head forms but dissolves into a ring quickly due to the acidity.

Aroma is so sour I almost shudder after whiffing. Acetic but with a faint candied sweetness just barely detectable. Maybe that's all I can smell anymore after having my nose hairs singed off with tart funk.

First sip aaaand... WOW that is sour. My eye literally twitched after swallowing. The sourness tastes like grapefruit rind soaked in lemon juice. Easily sourer than any gueuze I've had. Also a lot of wood here for added complexity. Wood and rind linger on the palate and lips for what seems like hours.

Same perfect mouthfeel I've come to expect from RR. Carbonation is exceptional, finish is long yet dry, and drinkability is through the roof for a sour beer lover, like me.

Batch 002

Pours a hazy golden with a white head that settles to a thin cover.

Nose has tart citrus, tropical fruits, manure, horse blanket, oak and white wine.

Taste has bready caramel malts, sweet fruits, barnyard funk, sour yeast, chardonnay and oak.

Medium boby is delicately carbonated. Nice dry finish. Another very impressive sour from Russian River.

4.88/5  rDev +6.8%

While I'd normally take obsessive notes to "properly" review this beer few tasting notes would do this brew any justice. This is quite simply the greatest beer I've ever tasted. The lenghth and breadth of flavor are intense ranging from cheesy to yeasty to oaky notes with hints of citrus fruits and spice throughout. Forgive the wine analogy but it's like Salon, Krug Clos de Mesnil, and a Flemish sour ale got freaky together and this is their love child. It displays all of the strengths of their parents without any of the detractions. It has the cleansing sourness of the Flemish ale, the cheesiness of Salon and the nuttyness of Krug all harmoiniusly balanced within its beery goodness. The only problem is that the bottle at 375ml is too small for a second serving. For a first batch (was there a test?) this is a resounding success. Bravo Russian River for an extremely amazing brew.
edit:This was batch 001 (can't wait for more!!)

4.88/5  rDev +6.8%

Big thanks to DRINKNDRIVE for this 375ml bottle. I opened this one very carefully over the sink and there was no explosion like I experienced with Supplication. The first sniff from the bottle is sour juiciness. The color is white-yellow with some sudsy bubbles. More sour juicy smell with a hint of musty funky acrid sweat. Dusty basement smells also. Brutal yet beautifully sour taste like lemonheads candy. Citrus lemon is mostly what I taste in addition to the sourness and some acidity. Overall, this is really awesome if you like sours. This also has more funkiness to it than the supplication I had a couple days ago. I thought the supplication was better.

update 02/28/09 batch 002

really reminds me of gueuze, cheesy, funky aroma, puckering lemon juice sourness that contorts my face! Excellent beer and has aged well over the last year or so since release.

update 03/21/09

batch 003

Smells quite gueuzy with just a whiff of funk at first that seems to grow as it really warms. Not nearly as sour as batch 002 but still juicy and has a bit of sourness to it and the promised hint of grapefruit. Really easy to drink, smooth and delicious but a little subdued compared to the previous batch. I hope to buy more "sonambics" from this brewery.

4.88/5  rDev +6.8%

BrewerDan23 shared his bottle with a dew of us at a tasting...thanks again Dan, extremely appreciated! Poured from a cork and caged 750ml bottle into my tasting snifter. Pours a hazy golden color, with a small frothy white head. Head dissipates pretty quick. So far...looks great!

Aroma is perfect! If you love sours as much as me, this one makes your mouth water. So much sharp tartness in the aroma. The funkiness associated with sours(Brett) is a nice characteristic...with lots of lemon zest and oak.

Flavor is just like the aroma...perfect. This turned out to be my favorite/biggest surprise beer of the night(which had beers like Black Tuesday and Duck Duck Gooze to compete with). I expected this beer to be delightful, but didn't expect it to rock my world! The sourness/tartness is incredible. Loads of the sharp tart, oak, funkiness. Finishes only slightly dry. Light and crisp mouthfeel. High carbonation. What a fantastic sour!!

4.88/5  rDev +6.8%

Batch 3 consumed 4-30-11, Thanks to the ever generous darklordlager.

I am going to break from my usual review format for this unusual beer.

The aroma hits very sour with a healthy dose of strong funk, it is really a lot to take in, but given some time you can peel back the layers and start to pick out some grapefruit and some very light grain. I was getting a little bit of vinegar quality, but it was overwhelmingly lactic with that dirty sour that I find to have a little more depth. The flavor is much the same, but the acidity steps up a notch again. I found it to be less fruity than Belgian examples I have had, but there was still a little grapefruit. Again, primarily I was getting dirty musty funk and really very sharp acids. The longer I sipped the deeper it got, I started to get more summery fruits and the finish even got slightly peppery. The feel was so acidic little cuts on my lip started to sting, very dry and very carbonated. I want to be careful about comparing this beer to Lambic, but the similarities are there and voiced by the brewer, and it really does live up. Given the opportunity I would pick this over several imported varieties.

I think the beauty of this beer is really in the details. Tasting a Lambic style beer known to be fermented and conditioned with yeast and bacteria native to a region other than the Senne valley that is so complex and delicious is inspiring. The impact of this beer is an illustration that although a true Lambic cannot be produced elsewhere, a complex, balanced, and truly interesting top shelf product can be made in other regions, and shows the true potential of the American Wild movement. I believe that an increased interest in this beer could be a key contributor to the increased legitimacy of beer as a gourmet product. Nice work Russian River, keep doing more of the same.

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

4.86/5  rDev +6.3%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

look: 4.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.75

Initially an incredible oak smell, very noticeable after previous sour ale consumed. Just amazing tart and sour funky goodness.

4.85/5  rDev +6.1%

If only I had the same kind of access to the Russian River beers as I do to the Lost Abbey. If even they were even a little further away. A four hour drive. A five hour drive. Each and every one of the Russian River beers had something to fucking say. The Beatification of all had the most intense things to say, just extremely funky and flowery on the nose. When I popped it open it smelled like diapers or something, heavily stank cheese, I screamed, I passed it around, I got stoked. This was the overall champion of the night for me by a long shot, part of a very small (4 people) Russian River tasting. Beatification is a barrel aged and "spontaneously fermented" beer, brewed with wild yeast and then aged in barrels which have been used for both its original purpose and for making other beers that Russian River offers, meaning that it has a whole lot of life in the wood that contributes an insane amount of complex flavor to the beer. This beer has a list of the known yeast and bacteria strains present in the beer, which beyond being geeky is so insane that you can't just love it if you're interested in the science and alchemy of brewing. Poured beautifully from the mini-Champagne like bottle with a cork and cage and it really is like an intense spoiled semi-brute Champagne that could only come from Belgium, except that it's from California. Infected, golden, attractive. Russian River makes the beers that are closest to those from the motherland, with the perfect amount of American screw-all attitude to boot. This is so much like a Gueuze that it's hard to believe it's not, and it's in the same family as the Leelanau and Jolly Pumpkin beers which are so overtly "out there" that you can't help but listen up. Highest, highest respect for this brew, heavy dog compliments.

4.85/5  rDev +6.1%

Yellow and orange appearance, looks darker than pte, almost appearance wise is more akin to a typical dipa moreso than a wild ale. Real good looking head, this is the best looking wild ale I may have ever seen, just pristine.

Really massive sour notes, dry, earthy and extremely citrusy (and not just lemon).

Taste, wow, immediately reminds me why this is my favorite of the Russian -tion beers. And then it makes me pontificate whether I like this more than framboise for a cure or pty. Yup, that good. Body is light, taste, sour power is heavy. Keeps the brett aspect down, lets the other germs dominate. Never approaches anything that could be considered vinegar-esque. Oak notes are mild. Its all about orange type citrus notes, dry and earthy hyper drive sour.

4.85/5  rDev +6.1%

I had previously sampled Beatification at the RR Brewpub in October of 2005, straight from the barrel and again in January of this year at a RR dinner at Monk's Cafe but this is my first review of this fine beer from the bottle.

Batch 001 (PH1) is waiting patiently in my cellar.

The beer poured a nice brilliant hazy straw color with a bit of a white head that didn't last very long and gave way to a good ring around the glass and strong lacing. The aroma of the beer definitely had the characterstics of where it was aged, in an oak barrel, but it was not overpowering. Notes of cherry and other fruit. The taste was very impressive, tart and acidic and a bit of funkiness but not overbearing, just perfectly complimenting each other. The taste lingered in the mouth for awhile and did have a bit of a dry champagne burn to it which I like in a beer. There is a lingering sweetness to this beer that is very pleasant and I just can't get enough of.

It would be interesting to taste this along side Redemption which is where this started and also with the PH1 to test the subtle differences in each. Vinnie and Natalie hit this one out of the park as they do with so many of their beers. A real winner, too bad there is not much of this out there.

4.85/5  rDev +6.1%

A pretty near perfect score here as I can confidently say that I've never had a better sour - wild ale. That being said, I've never had a Cantillon anything or Cable Car so when that happens, I'll come back and revise my statement if necessary.

Batch 5 - Bottled 1/10/12

A - The most sunshine vibrant yellowish orange I may have ever seen, minimally somewhat cloudy in the 10oz wine glass I poured it in. Sunshine in a glass. Similar color to the bottle's label but much more BEAutifil. Active, begging for a whiff. Would get a perfect 5 with good head & retention...

S - Complexities really begin to come through as it warms - especially that barnyard funk. Citrus included oranges and lemons, some pineapple and this beer smells nice and tart. Very welcoming. I'm on the fence with a lot of sours but I knew I was going to really enjoy this one at first smell.

T&M - Follows nose. I am amazed at how freaking refreshing and crisp this beer is. At only 6% it's still a nice sipper on a warm sunny day. Clean crisp bone dry finish, I mean...even if your not a fan of the style, you usually can still tell when you're drinking a high quality specimen which Beatification most definately is. Pretty blown away I must say.

O - Usually, I don't find myself wanting much more than 10-12oz of most sours but I could have sapped back on 3 of these easily. SO refreshing, SO crisp, SO clean, and such a nice bone drying finish that kept me wanting more. I'm told and assuming age will make this beer better as it usually does this style, but I really couldn't imagine where it could have improved or how it could have been better. Admittedly, I'm not new to the style but new to appreciating it and finally feeling confident in my ability to critique or review sours properly. Great freaking stuff!

4.85/5  rDev +6.1%

Big thanks to Nanobrew and FosterJM for this one!

A: Slight pop when the cork came off. Pours a hazy golden orange with a nice white, fizzy head on top. Pretty good retention with sporadic lacing that doesn't last too long.

S: Fantastic tartness. Some peach, lemon, apricot, and white grapes. Nice citrus fruits and some nice barnyard funk that blends nicely with the fruit/tartness.

T: Has a very gueuze like flavor, lots of tart lemon and some apricot. Underneath there is some tart green apple and more white grapes. Very mouth puckering and it is amazing.

M: Medium bodied, great level of carbonation. Very tart/acidic, but I am really liking it.

O: Simply put, amazing. One of the best beers I have ever had hands down. Great flavor and extremely tart.

Beatification from Russian River Brewing Company