Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

BeatificationBeatification

Wants: 2,830
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beatification Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +7%

PH1 acquired directly at the brewery about a year and a half ago. Aged at 45F ever since. Pours clean and simple with a nice thick head that dissipates quickly. Nice tight carbonation. Sour and brett up in the front of the tongue, super clean finish at the end. Very wonderfully complex, low alcohol and drinkable. 10/10 on the belgian "digestability scale". Outstanding.

4.88/5  rDev +7%

I shared my batch 2 next to Oreo's batch 3 at our EPIC sour tasting...

The batch 2 was my top want, so thanks to titosupertramp!

This is amazing. The batch 2 is less carbonated, but the same color. Batch 3 has a small white head.

The smells are similar. 3 is funky, but not as dry as 2. The lemony am lactic sour is more prominent in 3, but still in 2.

The tastes are both excellent... They both follow the noses-- 2 is dry and funky with a great balance and 3 is super lactic and tart with a good funkiness hiding underneath.

The body on 2 is less carbonated than 3, but they're both fantastic-- medium body with a good bite.

This is my top sour. Either batch. I would drink these constantly. This is easily one of the top sours in the world.

4.88/5  rDev +7%

A bottle from Batch 002 opened up by Bobby yesterday during our tasting (you can never have too many Russian River wild ales).

A: A disappointingly quiet popping of the cork on this bottle. Despite that, the beer seems to still be fairly well carbonated. The pour itself is a hazy light golden color with a thin white head.

S: The nose is still very, very acidic. The lemony, lactic tartness is really the star of the show with some white grapes and green apple notes as well. There's really not much in the way of funk, but that's not really a problem for me.

T: The flavor picks up where the nose leaves off with a really intense lemon sourness. There are some flavors of green apple and white grape as the nose would indicate, but this bottle is not quite as puckering as others I've had.

M: The level of carbonation is just about perfect, with great effervescence really allowing the acid to really come through. The finish is very sour and dry, as you would expect.

D: I've always been a huge fan of the intense sourness that Beatification has, and this is no exception. I always enjoy the opportunity to open up a bottle.

4.88/5  rDev +7%

750ml bottle caged and corked. Poured into a tasting glass a couple of times :)

A- Pours a hazy golden color. A thin white head. Some light subtle lacing left behind. It's kind of bubbly.

A- Big bretty funky goodness right up front and in charge. There is a oak presence and slight hint of lemon. Sour and funky. A sharp chardonnay scent creeps up on me.

T- Perfect, hands down! The funky brett and sourness is absolutely amazing. Again, as in the nose, I pick up on lemon, chardonnay, oak, some more funk, a little more sourness and a little more funk. There is also some sour apple taste that I'm really enjoying. Did I mention I LOVE this beer.

M- Medium in body. A crisp dry finish. Carbonation was spot on. Leaves a lingering tartness. Again, I can't think of anything to say bad about this beer.

D- PERFECT! My favorite out of all the sours we consumed. One of my favorite beers to date!

4.88/5  rDev +7%

Batch 2. Pours a completely opaque goldenrod color into a tulip glass. Half a finger of head forms but dissolves into a ring quickly due to the acidity.

Aroma is so sour I almost shudder after whiffing. Acetic but with a faint candied sweetness just barely detectable. Maybe that's all I can smell anymore after having my nose hairs singed off with tart funk.

First sip aaaand... WOW that is sour. My eye literally twitched after swallowing. The sourness tastes like grapefruit rind soaked in lemon juice. Easily sourer than any gueuze I've had. Also a lot of wood here for added complexity. Wood and rind linger on the palate and lips for what seems like hours.

Same perfect mouthfeel I've come to expect from RR. Carbonation is exceptional, finish is long yet dry, and drinkability is through the roof for a sour beer lover, like me.

Batch 002

Pours a hazy golden with a white head that settles to a thin cover.

Nose has tart citrus, tropical fruits, manure, horse blanket, oak and white wine.

Taste has bready caramel malts, sweet fruits, barnyard funk, sour yeast, chardonnay and oak.

Medium boby is delicately carbonated. Nice dry finish. Another very impressive sour from Russian River.

4.88/5  rDev +7%

While I'd normally take obsessive notes to "properly" review this beer few tasting notes would do this brew any justice. This is quite simply the greatest beer I've ever tasted. The lenghth and breadth of flavor are intense ranging from cheesy to yeasty to oaky notes with hints of citrus fruits and spice throughout. Forgive the wine analogy but it's like Salon, Krug Clos de Mesnil, and a Flemish sour ale got freaky together and this is their love child. It displays all of the strengths of their parents without any of the detractions. It has the cleansing sourness of the Flemish ale, the cheesiness of Salon and the nuttyness of Krug all harmoiniusly balanced within its beery goodness. The only problem is that the bottle at 375ml is too small for a second serving. For a first batch (was there a test?) this is a resounding success. Bravo Russian River for an extremely amazing brew.
edit:This was batch 001 (can't wait for more!!)

4.88/5  rDev +7%

Big thanks to DRINKNDRIVE for this 375ml bottle. I opened this one very carefully over the sink and there was no explosion like I experienced with Supplication. The first sniff from the bottle is sour juiciness. The color is white-yellow with some sudsy bubbles. More sour juicy smell with a hint of musty funky acrid sweat. Dusty basement smells also. Brutal yet beautifully sour taste like lemonheads candy. Citrus lemon is mostly what I taste in addition to the sourness and some acidity. Overall, this is really awesome if you like sours. This also has more funkiness to it than the supplication I had a couple days ago. I thought the supplication was better.

update 02/28/09 batch 002

really reminds me of gueuze, cheesy, funky aroma, puckering lemon juice sourness that contorts my face! Excellent beer and has aged well over the last year or so since release.

update 03/21/09

batch 003

Smells quite gueuzy with just a whiff of funk at first that seems to grow as it really warms. Not nearly as sour as batch 002 but still juicy and has a bit of sourness to it and the promised hint of grapefruit. Really easy to drink, smooth and delicious but a little subdued compared to the previous batch. I hope to buy more "sonambics" from this brewery.

4.88/5  rDev +7%

BrewerDan23 shared his bottle with a dew of us at a tasting...thanks again Dan, extremely appreciated! Poured from a cork and caged 750ml bottle into my tasting snifter. Pours a hazy golden color, with a small frothy white head. Head dissipates pretty quick. So far...looks great!

Aroma is perfect! If you love sours as much as me, this one makes your mouth water. So much sharp tartness in the aroma. The funkiness associated with sours(Brett) is a nice characteristic...with lots of lemon zest and oak.

Flavor is just like the aroma...perfect. This turned out to be my favorite/biggest surprise beer of the night(which had beers like Black Tuesday and Duck Duck Gooze to compete with). I expected this beer to be delightful, but didn't expect it to rock my world! The sourness/tartness is incredible. Loads of the sharp tart, oak, funkiness. Finishes only slightly dry. Light and crisp mouthfeel. High carbonation. What a fantastic sour!!

4.88/5  rDev +7%

Batch 3 consumed 4-30-11, Thanks to the ever generous darklordlager.

I am going to break from my usual review format for this unusual beer.

The aroma hits very sour with a healthy dose of strong funk, it is really a lot to take in, but given some time you can peel back the layers and start to pick out some grapefruit and some very light grain. I was getting a little bit of vinegar quality, but it was overwhelmingly lactic with that dirty sour that I find to have a little more depth. The flavor is much the same, but the acidity steps up a notch again. I found it to be less fruity than Belgian examples I have had, but there was still a little grapefruit. Again, primarily I was getting dirty musty funk and really very sharp acids. The longer I sipped the deeper it got, I started to get more summery fruits and the finish even got slightly peppery. The feel was so acidic little cuts on my lip started to sting, very dry and very carbonated. I want to be careful about comparing this beer to Lambic, but the similarities are there and voiced by the brewer, and it really does live up. Given the opportunity I would pick this over several imported varieties.

I think the beauty of this beer is really in the details. Tasting a Lambic style beer known to be fermented and conditioned with yeast and bacteria native to a region other than the Senne valley that is so complex and delicious is inspiring. The impact of this beer is an illustration that although a true Lambic cannot be produced elsewhere, a complex, balanced, and truly interesting top shelf product can be made in other regions, and shows the true potential of the American Wild movement. I believe that an increased interest in this beer could be a key contributor to the increased legitimacy of beer as a gourmet product. Nice work Russian River, keep doing more of the same.

4.86/5  rDev +6.6%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.75 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

If only I had the same kind of access to the Russian River beers as I do to the Lost Abbey. If even they were even a little further away. A four hour drive. A five hour drive. Each and every one of the Russian River beers had something to fucking say. The Beatification of all had the most intense things to say, just extremely funky and flowery on the nose. When I popped it open it smelled like diapers or something, heavily stank cheese, I screamed, I passed it around, I got stoked. This was the overall champion of the night for me by a long shot, part of a very small (4 people) Russian River tasting. Beatification is a barrel aged and "spontaneously fermented" beer, brewed with wild yeast and then aged in barrels which have been used for both its original purpose and for making other beers that Russian River offers, meaning that it has a whole lot of life in the wood that contributes an insane amount of complex flavor to the beer. This beer has a list of the known yeast and bacteria strains present in the beer, which beyond being geeky is so insane that you can't just love it if you're interested in the science and alchemy of brewing. Poured beautifully from the mini-Champagne like bottle with a cork and cage and it really is like an intense spoiled semi-brute Champagne that could only come from Belgium, except that it's from California. Infected, golden, attractive. Russian River makes the beers that are closest to those from the motherland, with the perfect amount of American screw-all attitude to boot. This is so much like a Gueuze that it's hard to believe it's not, and it's in the same family as the Leelanau and Jolly Pumpkin beers which are so overtly "out there" that you can't help but listen up. Highest, highest respect for this brew, heavy dog compliments.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Yellow and orange appearance, looks darker than pte, almost appearance wise is more akin to a typical dipa moreso than a wild ale. Real good looking head, this is the best looking wild ale I may have ever seen, just pristine.

Really massive sour notes, dry, earthy and extremely citrusy (and not just lemon).

Taste, wow, immediately reminds me why this is my favorite of the Russian -tion beers. And then it makes me pontificate whether I like this more than framboise for a cure or pty. Yup, that good. Body is light, taste, sour power is heavy. Keeps the brett aspect down, lets the other germs dominate. Never approaches anything that could be considered vinegar-esque. Oak notes are mild. Its all about orange type citrus notes, dry and earthy hyper drive sour.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

I had previously sampled Beatification at the RR Brewpub in October of 2005, straight from the barrel and again in January of this year at a RR dinner at Monk's Cafe but this is my first review of this fine beer from the bottle.

Batch 001 (PH1) is waiting patiently in my cellar.

The beer poured a nice brilliant hazy straw color with a bit of a white head that didn't last very long and gave way to a good ring around the glass and strong lacing. The aroma of the beer definitely had the characterstics of where it was aged, in an oak barrel, but it was not overpowering. Notes of cherry and other fruit. The taste was very impressive, tart and acidic and a bit of funkiness but not overbearing, just perfectly complimenting each other. The taste lingered in the mouth for awhile and did have a bit of a dry champagne burn to it which I like in a beer. There is a lingering sweetness to this beer that is very pleasant and I just can't get enough of.

It would be interesting to taste this along side Redemption which is where this started and also with the PH1 to test the subtle differences in each. Vinnie and Natalie hit this one out of the park as they do with so many of their beers. A real winner, too bad there is not much of this out there.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

A pretty near perfect score here as I can confidently say that I've never had a better sour - wild ale. That being said, I've never had a Cantillon anything or Cable Car so when that happens, I'll come back and revise my statement if necessary.

Batch 5 - Bottled 1/10/12

A - The most sunshine vibrant yellowish orange I may have ever seen, minimally somewhat cloudy in the 10oz wine glass I poured it in. Sunshine in a glass. Similar color to the bottle's label but much more BEAutifil. Active, begging for a whiff. Would get a perfect 5 with good head & retention...

S - Complexities really begin to come through as it warms - especially that barnyard funk. Citrus included oranges and lemons, some pineapple and this beer smells nice and tart. Very welcoming. I'm on the fence with a lot of sours but I knew I was going to really enjoy this one at first smell.

T&M - Follows nose. I am amazed at how freaking refreshing and crisp this beer is. At only 6% it's still a nice sipper on a warm sunny day. Clean crisp bone dry finish, I mean...even if your not a fan of the style, you usually can still tell when you're drinking a high quality specimen which Beatification most definately is. Pretty blown away I must say.

O - Usually, I don't find myself wanting much more than 10-12oz of most sours but I could have sapped back on 3 of these easily. SO refreshing, SO crisp, SO clean, and such a nice bone drying finish that kept me wanting more. I'm told and assuming age will make this beer better as it usually does this style, but I really couldn't imagine where it could have improved or how it could have been better. Admittedly, I'm not new to the style but new to appreciating it and finally feeling confident in my ability to critique or review sours properly. Great freaking stuff!

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Big thanks to Nanobrew and FosterJM for this one!

A: Slight pop when the cork came off. Pours a hazy golden orange with a nice white, fizzy head on top. Pretty good retention with sporadic lacing that doesn't last too long.

S: Fantastic tartness. Some peach, lemon, apricot, and white grapes. Nice citrus fruits and some nice barnyard funk that blends nicely with the fruit/tartness.

T: Has a very gueuze like flavor, lots of tart lemon and some apricot. Underneath there is some tart green apple and more white grapes. Very mouth puckering and it is amazing.

M: Medium bodied, great level of carbonation. Very tart/acidic, but I am really liking it.

O: Simply put, amazing. One of the best beers I have ever had hands down. Great flavor and extremely tart.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

A - A hazy light gold beer. I'm surprised by the lack of head, as very little white fluff formed upon pouring, and what did form quickly disappeared.

S - Strong earth funkiness that complements some mild wood scent. Underneath is some apple and pear and lemon scent that really work with, but do not overpower, the earth funk, which is clearly the highlight.

T - Up front is the leather/dirt provided by the brett. The sheer strength of funk here makes me pucker a bit. As the first wave of flavor passes through, it opens up to strong notes of citrus and lemon. The sourness of the lemon carries through until the finish, where sour apples come in and transition from citrus sourness to sweet sourness.

M - Light bodied and very light carbonation on this one, which gives the beer a certain smoothness lacking from other examples in the style. It can get away with the light carbonation because the strength of the flavors prevent any risk of wateriness. Sour and dry on the finish.

D - Possibly the most drinkable beer I've ever had. The light body, coupled with the 5.5 % ABV and alluring flavor make this an easy one to enjoy in large quantities...if only I had enough to session with.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Had this one during the 'We Want The Funk!' tasting that was graciously hosted by beermeX2! Big thanks goes out to beermeX2 for sharing this one with the group! Batch 003! I have been lucky as of late to knock out quite a few of my brews needed for my Russian River -tion Quest and this one is NO exception! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured golden yellow with a one finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, tart, and funk. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruit, sour, tart, funk, and wood. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this brew was nothing short of excellent in all aspects! This one was a standout from the tasting that night for just about all of the participants. The flavor on this one was otherworldly sour and definitely brought the duck-face HARD! Even from the aroma you would get a partial duck-face going. Definitely well rounded in flavor though as the fruit and woodiness added a nice touch to keep your palate guessing rather than just drop-kicking it with sour and tart notes. Really really well done... Hope to try some older batches in the future for comparison (hint hint traders...)

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Reviewing Beatification from the Russian River Brewing Company. A big thanks to Matt for hooking me up with this one!

Score: 98

Batch 5. Bottled on 01/10/12, served in a Hill Farmstead stemmed snifter and enjoyed on 010/19/12.

Appearance: Pours a nice mimosa-orange color that is on the opaque side of transparent with a half finger of fizzy white head that settles to a pencil thin ring around the glass that ultimately settles completely. Okay lacing, but not a whole lot of retention. 4/5

Smell: Very tart lemon juice hits upfront. Then there is a nice medley of sweet cole slaw vinegar, white grapes, oranges, granny-smith apples, sour peaches, "lacto-ey yogurt and brett" and a hint of oak. There is a very faint band-aid funkiness, but it's quite subtle. 4.75/5

Taste: Whoa! Tons of pucker-inducing tart lemon juice upfront, with more funkiness on the back half than the nose nose led on -- but it's really well incorporated into a sweet citrusy mix of flavors so it never overwhelms and merely complements the flavors of the beer. Tart white grapes, tangerines and sweet vinegar on the midpalate, with granny-smith apples towards the finish. "Lacto-ey yogurt," lemon and a hint of banana round off the finish and linger well past the swallow. Very gueuze-esque in flavor. Different than, but just as good as, Consecration in my opinion. 5/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation that really accents the zesty tartness of the beer on the center of the tongue. Dry finish, but juicy on the palate. Has a decent amount of pucker. 5/5

Overall: Another outstanding, world class sour from Russian River. This one lives up to its hype, but for its difficulty to acquire, I probably prefer an in-season Consecration.

Recommendation: Seek this one out -- it is truly world class.

Pairings: Monterrey jack cheese wedges and sociables.

Cost: $15 for a 375ml bottle.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Another brew brought to this tasting by Bankhead. Greatly appreciated!

A: Hazy honey golden... it quite literally appears to be the hue of a nice, organic honey. Head recedes fairly quickly, but leaves a very persistent collar.

S: Loads of horseblanket and hay. Additionally, there's about an equal note of citrus and pepper note. A tiny note of mustiness, though there's a strange floral-like quality that balances it out and keeps it from being unpleasant. This is a beer I could sniff at all night, which would be as close to perfect as I can think of.

T + M: Amazingly dry... beautiful. A lemony type of tartness, without being so intense as it makes me pucker up. It's just enough to get my mouth watering and craving more. Peppery, with just the right amount of barnyard notes. I think this might just be a favourite of the Russian River brews I have tried to date.

D: This is pretty much as good as it gets, and I'm floored by how close to perfection is seems to be to my tastes. Suddenly, Pennsylvania doesn't seem too far to travel to try to secure more. I'm fortunate it's on the East at all!

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

08/11/06- Purchased by mail order direct from Russian River Brewery in Santa Rosa, CA.

Presentation- Batch 001-PH1. 375ml (12.7oz) bottle which was caged and corked. Poured into an oversized wine glass.

Appearance- Opens with a loud pop and pours with furious carbonation. The loudest talking beer I have ever heard. The carbonation was just screaming. Poured into a huge ass wine goblet, maybe 22oz capacity. Filled close to the top at pour and settled down at about a 1/4 inch of a spitzy yet slight creamy looking top. Quite lovely cobwebs and small chunks of lace leftover in the aftermath.

Smell- Bits of stinky horse blanket and musty barn and moth balls. You know this one will be a sour one upon the taste. Sour overripe fruits appear after the cork pops.

Taste- Pretty much pure decadence. Combines the flavor of several of my favorite styles of beer. Has a NB Love flavor (which makes sense as it was aged in those barrels). Has a nice Flanders Ale quality....liked to Goudenband and even has that nice barnyard Fantome-esque flavor. Sour, but about the perfect acidic level fruits rush around. Lemon rind, maybe some cherries and raspberries. All combine to make you crave that next sip.

Mouthfeel- A tad bit highly carbonated and gaseous, but not too much as to hinder drinking. Sweet and sour aftertaste that lasts just long enough to tempt you for that next sip.

Drinkability- Well, I timed this one about perfect. Sat here on an early evening night in Broadview, Montana...nothing but vast farmland as far as the eyes can see. A few antelope over here, a few partridges over there and a cow or two mooing in the background...not to mention the bats starting to fly into the barn and the two hoot-owls going at it. Ahhh, all this in the middle of a thunderstorm. Review #999 and taking a 8 month or so beer respite as of bedtime this Sunday....only have a Dreadnaught in waiting for my last beer in my self imposed beer break due to my wife's pregnancy. This was about the perfect beer today. Great taste, incredibly refreshing due to the higher humidity today. Russian River scores again. Vinnie...thanks for making one of my last brews for a while a memorable one. Extreme highest of recommendation!!

Batch 2

A: I poured the entire 375 bottle carefully into an oversized wine glass, making sure to leave all the yeast and sediment behind. Beatification had an amazing orange, golden apricot color. High clarity, leaving a minimal ring of white foam on the surface of the beer. Bright and beautiful appearance.

S:Lots of good ol funk in the nose: goaty, cheesy, tart, lemon. So much complexity. Just an amazing smell for a wild ale.

T:Starts of tart, acidic, lots of clean lemon, sour citrus, with the faintests hints of oak, especially as the beer warmed up to room temp. I couldn't imagine this beer getting any better.

M: Smooth, clean, soft carbonation and a dry finish. I would have liked a touch more carbonation, but at this point I am just looking for something to complain about.

D:This batch is ridiculously good. So clean and tart. I have had both batch 2 and 3 a few times, and I have to say batch 2 maybe a little more tart than batch 3. Although any version of this beer is simply outstanding.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Batch 003

Tried at a bottle share. Thank you to the anonymous beer advocate who brought this!

This pours a champagne orange-golden, with an incredibly bright white cap of foam.

The aroma is unmistakably tart, with a lemony-orange hop character. Dry and peppery, with a tart sourness that pops on the palate. Incredible.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to swnicholson for the opportunity to try this one! Batch 003.

A- Body is a very cloudy (nearly opaque) hazy straw yellow. Pours with a hefty 2 finger+ foamy white head (it did gush some upon opening). Head retention is great...eventually fading to 1 finger and keeping that the rest of the way down.

S- The first thing that hits the nose is a big whiff of tart lemon. Lemon all over the place. Behind this is a very noticeable oak presence.

T- Much more wonderful and complex than the smell. Very tart and slightly sweet lemon zest is definitely the main character here. The acidic tartness puckers the lips slightly but a slight bready sweetness balances it out. The oak is definitely detectable but hides deep in the background and comes through a little more for the finish but never overshadows the main characters. What also comes forward for the finish is a saltiness. It finishes rather abruptly and is very dry-esp for a brew with a lower ABV.

M- Great medium to high carbonation and a light body with a balance of breadiness and citrus.

D- This was an excellent brew and one I would definitely trade for again. It ended a gathering with a few other BAs that turned out to be a Russian River night. These 3 beers (this deviation, and the younger) were definitely my favorite by this brewing co. so far and I look forward to trying other brews they have to offer.

Beatification from Russian River Brewing Company