Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

BeatificationBeatification

Wants: 2,801
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beatification Alström Bros
4.88/5  rDev +7%

Big thanks to DRINKNDRIVE for this 375ml bottle. I opened this one very carefully over the sink and there was no explosion like I experienced with Supplication. The first sniff from the bottle is sour juiciness. The color is white-yellow with some sudsy bubbles. More sour juicy smell with a hint of musty funky acrid sweat. Dusty basement smells also. Brutal yet beautifully sour taste like lemonheads candy. Citrus lemon is mostly what I taste in addition to the sourness and some acidity. Overall, this is really awesome if you like sours. This also has more funkiness to it than the supplication I had a couple days ago. I thought the supplication was better.

update 02/28/09 batch 002

really reminds me of gueuze, cheesy, funky aroma, puckering lemon juice sourness that contorts my face! Excellent beer and has aged well over the last year or so since release.

update 03/21/09

batch 003

Smells quite gueuzy with just a whiff of funk at first that seems to grow as it really warms. Not nearly as sour as batch 002 but still juicy and has a bit of sourness to it and the promised hint of grapefruit. Really easy to drink, smooth and delicious but a little subdued compared to the previous batch. I hope to buy more "sonambics" from this brewery.

ArrogantB, May 24, 2008
4.88/5  rDev +7%

BrewerDan23 shared his bottle with a dew of us at a tasting...thanks again Dan, extremely appreciated! Poured from a cork and caged 750ml bottle into my tasting snifter. Pours a hazy golden color, with a small frothy white head. Head dissipates pretty quick. So far...looks great!

Aroma is perfect! If you love sours as much as me, this one makes your mouth water. So much sharp tartness in the aroma. The funkiness associated with sours(Brett) is a nice characteristic...with lots of lemon zest and oak.

Flavor is just like the aroma...perfect. This turned out to be my favorite/biggest surprise beer of the night(which had beers like Black Tuesday and Duck Duck Gooze to compete with). I expected this beer to be delightful, but didn't expect it to rock my world! The sourness/tartness is incredible. Loads of the sharp tart, oak, funkiness. Finishes only slightly dry. Light and crisp mouthfeel. High carbonation. What a fantastic sour!!

ShadesOfGray, Sep 14, 2010
4.88/5  rDev +7%

Batch 3 consumed 4-30-11, Thanks to the ever generous darklordlager.

I am going to break from my usual review format for this unusual beer.

The aroma hits very sour with a healthy dose of strong funk, it is really a lot to take in, but given some time you can peel back the layers and start to pick out some grapefruit and some very light grain. I was getting a little bit of vinegar quality, but it was overwhelmingly lactic with that dirty sour that I find to have a little more depth. The flavor is much the same, but the acidity steps up a notch again. I found it to be less fruity than Belgian examples I have had, but there was still a little grapefruit. Again, primarily I was getting dirty musty funk and really very sharp acids. The longer I sipped the deeper it got, I started to get more summery fruits and the finish even got slightly peppery. The feel was so acidic little cuts on my lip started to sting, very dry and very carbonated. I want to be careful about comparing this beer to Lambic, but the similarities are there and voiced by the brewer, and it really does live up. Given the opportunity I would pick this over several imported varieties.

I think the beauty of this beer is really in the details. Tasting a Lambic style beer known to be fermented and conditioned with yeast and bacteria native to a region other than the Senne valley that is so complex and delicious is inspiring. The impact of this beer is an illustration that although a true Lambic cannot be produced elsewhere, a complex, balanced, and truly interesting top shelf product can be made in other regions, and shows the true potential of the American Wild movement. I believe that an increased interest in this beer could be a key contributor to the increased legitimacy of beer as a gourmet product. Nice work Russian River, keep doing more of the same.

larsenju, May 02, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

If only I had the same kind of access to the Russian River beers as I do to the Lost Abbey. If even they were even a little further away. A four hour drive. A five hour drive. Each and every one of the Russian River beers had something to fucking say. The Beatification of all had the most intense things to say, just extremely funky and flowery on the nose. When I popped it open it smelled like diapers or something, heavily stank cheese, I screamed, I passed it around, I got stoked. This was the overall champion of the night for me by a long shot, part of a very small (4 people) Russian River tasting. Beatification is a barrel aged and "spontaneously fermented" beer, brewed with wild yeast and then aged in barrels which have been used for both its original purpose and for making other beers that Russian River offers, meaning that it has a whole lot of life in the wood that contributes an insane amount of complex flavor to the beer. This beer has a list of the known yeast and bacteria strains present in the beer, which beyond being geeky is so insane that you can't just love it if you're interested in the science and alchemy of brewing. Poured beautifully from the mini-Champagne like bottle with a cork and cage and it really is like an intense spoiled semi-brute Champagne that could only come from Belgium, except that it's from California. Infected, golden, attractive. Russian River makes the beers that are closest to those from the motherland, with the perfect amount of American screw-all attitude to boot. This is so much like a Gueuze that it's hard to believe it's not, and it's in the same family as the Leelanau and Jolly Pumpkin beers which are so overtly "out there" that you can't help but listen up. Highest, highest respect for this brew, heavy dog compliments.

brewdogmrb, May 09, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Yellow and orange appearance, looks darker than pte, almost appearance wise is more akin to a typical dipa moreso than a wild ale. Real good looking head, this is the best looking wild ale I may have ever seen, just pristine.

Really massive sour notes, dry, earthy and extremely citrusy (and not just lemon).

Taste, wow, immediately reminds me why this is my favorite of the Russian -tion beers. And then it makes me pontificate whether I like this more than framboise for a cure or pty. Yup, that good. Body is light, taste, sour power is heavy. Keeps the brett aspect down, lets the other germs dominate. Never approaches anything that could be considered vinegar-esque. Oak notes are mild. Its all about orange type citrus notes, dry and earthy hyper drive sour.

Beerandraiderfan, Jul 05, 2012
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

I had previously sampled Beatification at the RR Brewpub in October of 2005, straight from the barrel and again in January of this year at a RR dinner at Monk's Cafe but this is my first review of this fine beer from the bottle.

Batch 001 (PH1) is waiting patiently in my cellar.

The beer poured a nice brilliant hazy straw color with a bit of a white head that didn't last very long and gave way to a good ring around the glass and strong lacing. The aroma of the beer definitely had the characterstics of where it was aged, in an oak barrel, but it was not overpowering. Notes of cherry and other fruit. The taste was very impressive, tart and acidic and a bit of funkiness but not overbearing, just perfectly complimenting each other. The taste lingered in the mouth for awhile and did have a bit of a dry champagne burn to it which I like in a beer. There is a lingering sweetness to this beer that is very pleasant and I just can't get enough of.

It would be interesting to taste this along side Redemption which is where this started and also with the PH1 to test the subtle differences in each. Vinnie and Natalie hit this one out of the park as they do with so many of their beers. A real winner, too bad there is not much of this out there.

ggaughan, Aug 06, 2006
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

A pretty near perfect score here as I can confidently say that I've never had a better sour - wild ale. That being said, I've never had a Cantillon anything or Cable Car so when that happens, I'll come back and revise my statement if necessary.

Batch 5 - Bottled 1/10/12

A - The most sunshine vibrant yellowish orange I may have ever seen, minimally somewhat cloudy in the 10oz wine glass I poured it in. Sunshine in a glass. Similar color to the bottle's label but much more BEAutifil. Active, begging for a whiff. Would get a perfect 5 with good head & retention...

S - Complexities really begin to come through as it warms - especially that barnyard funk. Citrus included oranges and lemons, some pineapple and this beer smells nice and tart. Very welcoming. I'm on the fence with a lot of sours but I knew I was going to really enjoy this one at first smell.

T&M - Follows nose. I am amazed at how freaking refreshing and crisp this beer is. At only 6% it's still a nice sipper on a warm sunny day. Clean crisp bone dry finish, I mean...even if your not a fan of the style, you usually can still tell when you're drinking a high quality specimen which Beatification most definately is. Pretty blown away I must say.

O - Usually, I don't find myself wanting much more than 10-12oz of most sours but I could have sapped back on 3 of these easily. SO refreshing, SO crisp, SO clean, and such a nice bone drying finish that kept me wanting more. I'm told and assuming age will make this beer better as it usually does this style, but I really couldn't imagine where it could have improved or how it could have been better. Admittedly, I'm not new to the style but new to appreciating it and finally feeling confident in my ability to critique or review sours properly. Great freaking stuff!

RBassSFHOPit2ME, Apr 03, 2012
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Big thanks to Nanobrew and FosterJM for this one!

A: Slight pop when the cork came off. Pours a hazy golden orange with a nice white, fizzy head on top. Pretty good retention with sporadic lacing that doesn't last too long.

S: Fantastic tartness. Some peach, lemon, apricot, and white grapes. Nice citrus fruits and some nice barnyard funk that blends nicely with the fruit/tartness.

T: Has a very gueuze like flavor, lots of tart lemon and some apricot. Underneath there is some tart green apple and more white grapes. Very mouth puckering and it is amazing.

M: Medium bodied, great level of carbonation. Very tart/acidic, but I am really liking it.

O: Simply put, amazing. One of the best beers I have ever had hands down. Great flavor and extremely tart.

mdaschaf, Jun 25, 2012
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

A - A hazy light gold beer. I'm surprised by the lack of head, as very little white fluff formed upon pouring, and what did form quickly disappeared.

S - Strong earth funkiness that complements some mild wood scent. Underneath is some apple and pear and lemon scent that really work with, but do not overpower, the earth funk, which is clearly the highlight.

T - Up front is the leather/dirt provided by the brett. The sheer strength of funk here makes me pucker a bit. As the first wave of flavor passes through, it opens up to strong notes of citrus and lemon. The sourness of the lemon carries through until the finish, where sour apples come in and transition from citrus sourness to sweet sourness.

M - Light bodied and very light carbonation on this one, which gives the beer a certain smoothness lacking from other examples in the style. It can get away with the light carbonation because the strength of the flavors prevent any risk of wateriness. Sour and dry on the finish.

D - Possibly the most drinkable beer I've ever had. The light body, coupled with the 5.5 % ABV and alluring flavor make this an easy one to enjoy in large quantities...if only I had enough to session with.

schinebd, Sep 28, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Had this one during the 'We Want The Funk!' tasting that was graciously hosted by beermeX2! Big thanks goes out to beermeX2 for sharing this one with the group! Batch 003! I have been lucky as of late to knock out quite a few of my brews needed for my Russian River -tion Quest and this one is NO exception! Served from bottle into a Mikkeller flute. Poured golden yellow with a one finger white head that subsided to a minimal amount slowly. Maintained decent lacing throughout the glass. The aroma was comprised of sweet malt, sour, tart, and funk. The flavor was of sweet malt, fruit, sour, tart, funk, and wood. It had a light feel on the palate with high carbonation. Overall this brew was nothing short of excellent in all aspects! This one was a standout from the tasting that night for just about all of the participants. The flavor on this one was otherworldly sour and definitely brought the duck-face HARD! Even from the aroma you would get a partial duck-face going. Definitely well rounded in flavor though as the fruit and woodiness added a nice touch to keep your palate guessing rather than just drop-kicking it with sour and tart notes. Really really well done... Hope to try some older batches in the future for comparison (hint hint traders...)

thagr81us, Jun 28, 2011
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Reviewing Beatification from the Russian River Brewing Company. A big thanks to Matt for hooking me up with this one!

Score: 98

Batch 5. Bottled on 01/10/12, served in a Hill Farmstead stemmed snifter and enjoyed on 010/19/12.

Appearance: Pours a nice mimosa-orange color that is on the opaque side of transparent with a half finger of fizzy white head that settles to a pencil thin ring around the glass that ultimately settles completely. Okay lacing, but not a whole lot of retention. 4/5

Smell: Very tart lemon juice hits upfront. Then there is a nice medley of sweet cole slaw vinegar, white grapes, oranges, granny-smith apples, sour peaches, "lacto-ey yogurt and brett" and a hint of oak. There is a very faint band-aid funkiness, but it's quite subtle. 4.75/5

Taste: Whoa! Tons of pucker-inducing tart lemon juice upfront, with more funkiness on the back half than the nose nose led on -- but it's really well incorporated into a sweet citrusy mix of flavors so it never overwhelms and merely complements the flavors of the beer. Tart white grapes, tangerines and sweet vinegar on the midpalate, with granny-smith apples towards the finish. "Lacto-ey yogurt," lemon and a hint of banana round off the finish and linger well past the swallow. Very gueuze-esque in flavor. Different than, but just as good as, Consecration in my opinion. 5/5

Mouthfeel: Medium bodied with a medium amount of carbonation that really accents the zesty tartness of the beer on the center of the tongue. Dry finish, but juicy on the palate. Has a decent amount of pucker. 5/5

Overall: Another outstanding, world class sour from Russian River. This one lives up to its hype, but for its difficulty to acquire, I probably prefer an in-season Consecration.

Recommendation: Seek this one out -- it is truly world class.

Pairings: Monterrey jack cheese wedges and sociables.

Cost: $15 for a 375ml bottle.

jegross2, Oct 20, 2012
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Another brew brought to this tasting by Bankhead. Greatly appreciated!

A: Hazy honey golden... it quite literally appears to be the hue of a nice, organic honey. Head recedes fairly quickly, but leaves a very persistent collar.

S: Loads of horseblanket and hay. Additionally, there's about an equal note of citrus and pepper note. A tiny note of mustiness, though there's a strange floral-like quality that balances it out and keeps it from being unpleasant. This is a beer I could sniff at all night, which would be as close to perfect as I can think of.

T + M: Amazingly dry... beautiful. A lemony type of tartness, without being so intense as it makes me pucker up. It's just enough to get my mouth watering and craving more. Peppery, with just the right amount of barnyard notes. I think this might just be a favourite of the Russian River brews I have tried to date.

D: This is pretty much as good as it gets, and I'm floored by how close to perfection is seems to be to my tastes. Suddenly, Pennsylvania doesn't seem too far to travel to try to secure more. I'm fortunate it's on the East at all!

Proteus93, Dec 27, 2010

Reed, Oct 09, 2014
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

08/11/06- Purchased by mail order direct from Russian River Brewery in Santa Rosa, CA.

Presentation- Batch 001-PH1. 375ml (12.7oz) bottle which was caged and corked. Poured into an oversized wine glass.

Appearance- Opens with a loud pop and pours with furious carbonation. The loudest talking beer I have ever heard. The carbonation was just screaming. Poured into a huge ass wine goblet, maybe 22oz capacity. Filled close to the top at pour and settled down at about a 1/4 inch of a spitzy yet slight creamy looking top. Quite lovely cobwebs and small chunks of lace leftover in the aftermath.

Smell- Bits of stinky horse blanket and musty barn and moth balls. You know this one will be a sour one upon the taste. Sour overripe fruits appear after the cork pops.

Taste- Pretty much pure decadence. Combines the flavor of several of my favorite styles of beer. Has a NB Love flavor (which makes sense as it was aged in those barrels). Has a nice Flanders Ale quality....liked to Goudenband and even has that nice barnyard Fantome-esque flavor. Sour, but about the perfect acidic level fruits rush around. Lemon rind, maybe some cherries and raspberries. All combine to make you crave that next sip.

Mouthfeel- A tad bit highly carbonated and gaseous, but not too much as to hinder drinking. Sweet and sour aftertaste that lasts just long enough to tempt you for that next sip.

Drinkability- Well, I timed this one about perfect. Sat here on an early evening night in Broadview, Montana...nothing but vast farmland as far as the eyes can see. A few antelope over here, a few partridges over there and a cow or two mooing in the background...not to mention the bats starting to fly into the barn and the two hoot-owls going at it. Ahhh, all this in the middle of a thunderstorm. Review #999 and taking a 8 month or so beer respite as of bedtime this Sunday....only have a Dreadnaught in waiting for my last beer in my self imposed beer break due to my wife's pregnancy. This was about the perfect beer today. Great taste, incredibly refreshing due to the higher humidity today. Russian River scores again. Vinnie...thanks for making one of my last brews for a while a memorable one. Extreme highest of recommendation!!

GClarkage, Aug 12, 2006

Batch 2

A: I poured the entire 375 bottle carefully into an oversized wine glass, making sure to leave all the yeast and sediment behind. Beatification had an amazing orange, golden apricot color. High clarity, leaving a minimal ring of white foam on the surface of the beer. Bright and beautiful appearance.

S:Lots of good ol funk in the nose: goaty, cheesy, tart, lemon. So much complexity. Just an amazing smell for a wild ale.

T:Starts of tart, acidic, lots of clean lemon, sour citrus, with the faintests hints of oak, especially as the beer warmed up to room temp. I couldn't imagine this beer getting any better.

M: Smooth, clean, soft carbonation and a dry finish. I would have liked a touch more carbonation, but at this point I am just looking for something to complain about.

D:This batch is ridiculously good. So clean and tart. I have had both batch 2 and 3 a few times, and I have to say batch 2 maybe a little more tart than batch 3. Although any version of this beer is simply outstanding.

steadydose, Mar 15, 2010
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%
look: 4.75 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 5

Batch 003

Tried at a bottle share. Thank you to the anonymous beer advocate who brought this!

This pours a champagne orange-golden, with an incredibly bright white cap of foam.

The aroma is unmistakably tart, with a lemony-orange hop character. Dry and peppery, with a tart sourness that pops on the palate. Incredible.

elNopalero, Jan 06, 2014
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Thanks to swnicholson for the opportunity to try this one! Batch 003.

A- Body is a very cloudy (nearly opaque) hazy straw yellow. Pours with a hefty 2 finger+ foamy white head (it did gush some upon opening). Head retention is great...eventually fading to 1 finger and keeping that the rest of the way down.

S- The first thing that hits the nose is a big whiff of tart lemon. Lemon all over the place. Behind this is a very noticeable oak presence.

T- Much more wonderful and complex than the smell. Very tart and slightly sweet lemon zest is definitely the main character here. The acidic tartness puckers the lips slightly but a slight bready sweetness balances it out. The oak is definitely detectable but hides deep in the background and comes through a little more for the finish but never overshadows the main characters. What also comes forward for the finish is a saltiness. It finishes rather abruptly and is very dry-esp for a brew with a lower ABV.

M- Great medium to high carbonation and a light body with a balance of breadiness and citrus.

D- This was an excellent brew and one I would definitely trade for again. It ended a gathering with a few other BAs that turned out to be a Russian River night. These 3 beers (this deviation, and the younger) were definitely my favorite by this brewing co. so far and I look forward to trying other brews they have to offer.

PittBeerGirl, Feb 18, 2009

On-tap at O'Brien's,

A: Pours a lightly hazy dark yellow with a mild white head.

S: Sour apples, light malt, similar to a gueuze, light funk to it.

T: Just a beautiful beer. Light fermented fruit plays with the acidity in a complex, great mix. Almost a champagne quality to it, reminded me a lot of Cantillon with the high acidity. If I tasted this blind I would have thought it a Belgian gueuze, no doubt about it.

M: Very sour, not as dry as I thought it would be, it has a light sweetness that carries it through. What I want in a mouthfeel for a wild ale.

D: This is really good. Had to almost chug my first one since I had to order 3 beers at a time and couldn't carry them all. The second time around I got to really get into the beer. This is my first time having this one, and it shows Vinnie really knows what he's doing. This with Supplication are my favourite RR sours. Edit 2/2010 - I just had some batch 2 of this that may be the best beer I've ever had, the complexity and flavour is incredible and delicious.

Halcyondays, Jan 31, 2009
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Batch #002, poured into a RR chalice.

Pale straw color, slightly hazy. Half-finger snow white head has little staying power, fading into a thin cap and collar in seconds. Funk hits the nose as soon as the cork pops. Once it hits the glass, grapefruit, grass, herbs, spice and lemon come out. Lemony, acidic sour bite on the palate first. After a while more erth, grass, spice and funk come through. Pronounced oakiness as well. Mouthfeel is tart, light and refreshing. I could drink this stuff like water.

Not particularly good looking, but everything else about this beer is spectacular. Complex, yet crisp and refreshing; Highly recommended.

0110x011, Nov 28, 2008
4.84/5  rDev +6.1%

exl_90, Sep 08, 2014
4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

4-17-08: Batch 001-PH1. Finally getting to crack my PH1 bottle on a beautiful sunny day. Pours into my glass a lightly hazy honey amber orange with a thick two finger head of creamy bubbles. Aromas bring a mix of citrus, honey and crisp malts bathed in a Brett laden veil. Musty, sharp vinegar and acidic tones alongside woody aspects. Extremely complex and intriguing. Simply awesome.

First sip brings a crisp, sharp malt upfront along with swirling citrus, lemon zest and honey flavors. Mouth puckering sour midway that brings with it a dense array of Brett nuances. Old wood, acidic vinegar, hay, musty funkiness. I get a slight grape aspect as well. The tart and sour aspects are more pronounced that the regular 001. It flows down quite dry overall. An amazing sensory experience in a glass.

Mouthfeel is crisp with punchy carbonation that carries the beer down with a solid effervescence. A great sipper on my porch at the end of a beautiful spring day. One of my all time favorite beers hands down.

7-13-07: Batch 001. Pours into my tulip glass a clear amber orange with a good inch of bubbly white head and lots of big bubbles rising up to the top. Aromas burst out of the glass with light citrus aromas bathed in brett funkiness. Musty, horse blanket, acetic farmhouse aromas alongside woody and honey scents as well. Has a really bright, vibrant character to it. Wow. This is just wonderful.

First sip brings a rush of tart and sour and a nice base malt. Light citrus flavors, lemon rind and honey mingle in the funkiness of the brew. There's a nice woody dryness with each sip along with a fairly sharp acidic bite. Finishes with a lingering tart funkiness, rather dry. I may be imagining it but I get a bit of a green olive aftertaste with each sip. This is simply an amazing sour, wild ale.

Mouthfeel is on the lighter side with a lively, light carbonation that rushes across the palate with each sip. Really makes drinking this brew enjoyable. I wish this came in a 750ml bottle as I could easily and throughly enjoy the whole bottle myself. Beatification ranks with the best Russian River brews I've had and to be honest the best brews I've had overall. Cheers to Vinnie, Peter at NB and everyone else at RR that made this brew possible. Quite an achievement!

orbitalr0x, Jul 13, 2007

Bottle (2008/Batch 003)

Thanks for opening this with me, schmoopsbeer!

(Aged for 3+ years)

Hazy golden and yellow with orange highlights and a pillowy, finger and a half high, nearly white head, that leaves the glass messy with sheets of lace.

The aroma is far more funky than I would have presumed along with with huge amounts of sour acidity rushing up from the glass as well. The funk comes in waves of barnyard, hay, and leather, while the sourness has strong apple, pear, and lemon accents. Strong, aggressive, and fantastic aroma. The Brett and the sourness combine incredibly well.

The flavor is just as amazing and even more complex, with the Brett, barnyard, horse blanket, hay notes coming through very strongly, right alongside the big, tart lemon sourness making one's jowls quiver. Complete, funky, sour, delicious, drinkable--all words I'd use to describe this bottle.

Medium bodied with high carbonation. A treat to drink.

One of my all-time favorites.

ehammond1, Feb 14, 2012
4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

Batch PH1, 375ml bottle, shared with a few fellow BAs at Toronado last night.

Pours a beautifully crystal clear pale amber, a couple shades darker than later batches of Beatification. The head crackles away almost instantly in a champagne-like fashion. The nose is rather acetic with a surprising amount of sour fruit character (strawberries came to mind). Very Rodenbach-like, minus any sweetness. It's similar on the tongue, with much more acetic acid than the other batches, very Flemish, very sour and puckering. Big tropical fruit flavors. Crisp dry mouthfeel, light-bodied, highly carbonated. Nearly a perfect sour in my opinion. The acetic character isn't something I'm always fond of, but it works beautifully here.

largadeer, Feb 11, 2009

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for sharing this

Note: Batch 5

Consumed 6/24/12

Appearance: Pours hazy, bright gold - big, white head to start - retains a little cap, leaves a few spots of lacing

Smell: Sour, so much sour - truly a bouquet of bacteria - sharp acidity, tart, with some serious wood - funky, but mostly sour, so sour - some pale malts underneath

Taste: Sour - so, so sour - unbelievably sour - a sharp, glorious sour that coats the mouth and sticks around - some lemon - very tart - some wood in the background, with a base of pale malts - acidic with some citrus

Mouthfeel: Light to medium, nicely carbonated, puckering to the extreme

Overall: Glorious

This is like sour concentrate. It's like alchemy, but with sour flavor. In a word, this is masterful. One of the best beers I've had from Russian River, and that is really saying something.

angrybabboon, Jun 24, 2012

375mL bottle into a tulip
bottled on 01/10/12

200th BA review, I picked a good one

A big thanks goes out to RuckusDu for sending this one over in a trade!

A: Pours a hazy wet straw yellow with a thin film of head that dissipates immediately before I can even identify the color.  Leaves no lacing.

S: Huge citrus acidity, with lemons and limes, sour apple and tart white grapes. Pear, some belgium yeast banana, the slightest degree of musty funk.

T: Holy hell is this an explosion of sourness.  Like biting into a whole lemon, then chasing it with a slice of lime.  You can taste the sour on your lips literally before it even hits your tongue.  A bit of peppery spice is there along with a touch of banana ice cream on the finish to balance out the overwhelming sour. This is just a pure puckering sourness, sourer than the most sour Warhead candy I have ever had, and it is sublime.

M/D:  Aggressive carbonation pairs well with a puckering sour acidity to give this one a wonderful mouthfeel.  Thicker than most in the style.  Quick drying finish that leaves you in all too much of a hurray to take the next sip.  Awesome.

O: Wow, what can I say?  Looks like pee, smell is good but Ive had better, but then you take the first sip and bam!  Just pure, unadulterated, sour bliss.  My favorite of the RR sours, and the most sour beer I have had to date.  I'd write more but I have to get over to the trade forum to post as ISO: Beat ; FT: first born son.

zac16125, Sep 21, 2012