Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

BeatificationBeatification

Wants: 2,830
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beatification Alström Bros

1.2/5  rDev -73.7%

2.4/5  rDev -47.4%

Going to have to write a very bland review since my prior review was killed by the man.

A: hazy gold appearance with white head.

S: funky, musty and sour

T: Too sour. Mouth puckering, lemons, lots of funk. The sourness is unbalanced in my view and overwhelms the other flavors in this beer.

M: Mouth puckering.

D: I love most Russian River brews, and want to like this one, but I don't. Not very drinkable.

2.5/5  rDev -45.2%

2.5/5  rDev -45.2%

2.7/5  rDev -40.8%

Obviously, I do not understand sour beers (or the people who make them and drink them). I'm trying to learn to appreciate them, but a beer like this, it just defies imagination.

The beer pours a hazy, lemony honey color with decent head retention and lacing. The aroma of this beer is off the charts. I guess I get some lemon zest, but the beer is so tart smelling, and the barnyard funk so pronounced, I'm just amazed by what I smell. As odd as this beer smells, the flavors are just over the top. There is the lemon zest flavor, but I also get apple cider vinegar and just sour, sour, sour. Each sip has me grimacing in pain. The sour flavors aside, I will say the beer is pretty light on the palate with the abv. very well disguised. As for drinkability, the sour flavor is just overpowering and is nearly more then I can handle.

Shared this bottle with 4 other people thank God, including a guy at the table next to me (Belmont Station cafe) drinking some gueuze. He was quite grateful, noting the Beatification was much better then his gueuze. Perhaps. I just wish I had the capacity to appreciate it as much as he did.

2.93/5  rDev -35.7%

375 mL bottle tried 20 Sep 2008.

Poured into a tulip glass. Very small white head, well carbonated. Slightly cloudy bright orange gold color. Smells quite tart, sour, with cherry pits and stone fruit. Good up to this point, then the wheels come off while tasting. Starts sour, the middle is tart and the finish is sour. This overwhelming sourness invades my mouth and beats my tastebuds senseless. Any remaining functioning tastebuds are mopped up by the long lingering sour aftertaste. All of my orifices are puckered by this assault. There are probably some other underlying flavors but they are lost to me.

I can see why some people might like this, and I respect that it's a difficult style to make, but holy cow...

2.95/5  rDev -35.3%

Paid $13.99 for a 12.7 oz bottle from Monument Liquor in Concord, CA. Poured into the largest wine glass I have and shared with my girlfriend.

3/4 inch very fizzy white head. Heavily carbonated. A very cloudy yellowish gold color. Not too much head retention. Little lacing.

The wild yeast dominates the nose. Some grassier hops balance this one out. Carbonation present in the nose as well. Hints of dank bread - this would probably be a great pairing with good, fresh bread. Perhaps a bit of lemon in there as well - quite a complex offering. Not the most pleasant aroma, but certainly you have to give them credit for creating something this unique.

Taste is very sour. Very wild. Very different. Likeable? Not really, but it was fun to try. The taste is quite different than the smell - almost like sour candy. That sour taste lingers for a long time. Not as complex as the nose.

Very carbonated mouth. Light body. Definitely a sipper. Not sure of the occasion I would want to bust this one out for.

2.95/5  rDev -35.3%

Huge fan of Russian River and tasted many of the 'ation' series years ago at Toronado. At that point it seemed that many of the barrel aged (chardonnay, pinot, etc) beers were clearly going to find a foothold. Thankfully for us, they have and are getting better and better.

My local shop has carried as many bottled 'ations' as he can get his hands on and I was happy to spend $12 for an 002 batch of Beatification. In the case of this one, it felt extremely sour for sour's sake. Each sip reminded me of biting in to a Zot in elementary school. So rough and so compelling at the same time, like staring at a car accident.

I'm happy to have had this experience and will enjoy watching others try it. I will probably wait for the next 'ation' though.

3.03/5  rDev -33.6%

Bright yellow with a short bubbly white head. Low to no retention.

Big sour nose. A touch of sour apple. Funky.

Very sour flavor. Lemon juice and rind. That's pretty much it.

Mouth is light and crisp. High carb.

Overall not a Lot of complexity IMO. Very one note sour. Sour lemony citrus.

3.08/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12.7 oz. caged and corked > Stella glass
batch 002

Looks like clover honey with an orange glow. 1" white frothy foam crowns and falls pretty fast with plenty of stickiness left over.

Whoa, it's a nice, big aroma. I'm sitting at least two feet away from the glass and the breeze from outside is whaffing the aroma my way! Sweet and sour fruits, tangy grapes, mandarin oranges, sweet/tart candy, musty herbs.

First impression: CRINGE!!!! major bitter-face. Unlike Temptation and Supplication the flavor of this wild bad-boy is just too funked-up for me, but only because of it's intense, medicinal and metallic bitter flavor that kills everything else. Tart/metallic/bitter that's about all I'm getting. Dissapointing to say the least, I really enjoyed the Other wild ales from these guys.

The feel is light and crisp at first, then becomes much less lively pretty fast. Perhaps some oxidation has taken effect with this one?

3.23/5  rDev -29.2%

Thanks to cloudskipper who sent me this bottle via the Secret Santa BIF almost a year ago. I've been saving it for the right time, &, well, that time is now. It's warm in Minnesota in late November, that's reason enough to celebrate!

Batch 3. Only 2/3 of the bottle poured between my wife & I initially to keep the sediment trapped in the big, cool bottle. Pours an almost radioactive yellow with evident carbonation but no head to speak of. Smell is sheer wild. Dry, cirtus, with a tangy undercurrent of champagne, which must be the yeast. Interesting.

Beatification is mouth-puckeringly dry. Even before the taste kicks in, this is the primary impression I come away with from the first sip. After I unpucker, I get the sour lemon, the brett, the wood drying out my mouth even more. I'm going to need to drink some liquid after I finish this. Drinkable? Even for a wild, this is down on the scale for me.

Good beer. Unfairly, I was expecting some kind of heavenly notes to sound when I opened the bottle, but this wasn't as good as some other sours I've had. Good, but simple.

3.25/5  rDev -28.7%

375ml bottle from Capone's. My 100th rating of a beer brewed in California. Pours hazy straw yellow with no head. The aroma is an aggressive blend of citrus rind, hay or straw, funky cheese. The flavor is very tart and yogurt-ish. Just a little bit if malty sweetness left. Medium body with tons of carbonation and a bone dry finish.

Beatification from Russian River Brewing Company