Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006

Reviews: 516 | Hads: 2,309
3.3/5  rDev -25.7%

Shared a bomber with carps12 at a tasting this summer (2k9)

A - Pale yellow / straw colored, with a hint of orange. Very minimal head that dissipated almost immediatley.

S - Holy horse blanket. That descriptor didn't mean anything to me until I smelled this beer. This is the definition of "barnyard". Hints of lemony citrus as well.

T - SOUR SOUR SOUR. I'm a huge fan of geuze, lambic, flanders red, etc, but this one is puckeringly sour. Pushing the limits here for me, especially at first. Once the palate adjusts, it's not too bad, but up front it's pretty intense. Lots of sweaty lemon with some wood notes.

M - Not a huge amount of carbonation, but not flat. The acidity here overpowers my first impressions, but evens out a bit on the third sip and beyond.

D - Tough to drink at first, but after your palate adjusts it's actually pretty good. Still was tough to finish the bottle between two of us.

Overall, it's an interesting beer, but not terribly balanced, and missing the complexity imparted by the barrels of various other Russian River "sours". Worth trying if you have the chance, but it's not something I would go out of my way to try again. (1,163 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -24.1%

A: This brew poured a yellow/golden color with virtually no head.

S: The aroma was sour and wine like.

T: Help! My tastebuds were just ambushed! This is a sour/wine like brew. Sour apples are definitely apparent. I think I'm tasting brett in the finish.

M: Thin and remarkably dry.

D: While this is an interesting beer, I'm not totally in tune with the style yet....but I'm trying (I kept style in mind while rating). (421 characters)

3.37/5  rDev -24.1%

A foggy pale yellow pour with just a squidge of lacing. Looks flat. Quick swirl and not much pops up.
Unripe fruit smell, green. A good sourness dominates, lemon and key lime. Some biscuit. Juicy.

Lemon sourness in the mouth. Tingles a bit and the biscuit comes out. Seems young. At this abv I shouldn't get much alcohol, but I think I get some. Not sure about this.
Good sour beer, would like to see more flavor. Just kinda bland, imho. (438 characters)

3.48/5  rDev -21.6%

Batch 4

A: Hazy yellow pour with a number of bubbles racing to the top of the beer. About a finger or two of white head sticks around for a good amount of time, and laces nicely.

S: It smells like sour tartness and not much else. Slight oaky and yeasty underneath.

T: Like the smell, I'm having difficulty describing the taste. It's basically just tart and sour with not much complexity. That's not to say I don't like it, I think it tastes very good, it just isn't much different than any American Wild Ale you could pick up off the shelf. The balance between tart and sweet is quite nice.

MF: Light and bubbly, the cork almost popped out of the bottle without any pulling. Very drinkable I would say.

O: For what this took to get I'm a bit disappointed. It just tasted a bit average for me. The aggressive sour is impressive, but the rest of the beer doesn't entirely back it up. (887 characters)

Photo of
3.53/5  rDev -20.5%

12oz. bottle, acquired in San Francisco.

Slightly hazy, dark yellow-light golden color. Modest, white head. No legs, some lacing. Cork eased out of the bottle with a gentle phht!

Scent was sour! Touch of vinegar. Fruit -- sour apples, vitamin C. Some funkiness/earthiness. Cellar smell.

Taste was SOUR. Acetic acid, vitamin C again. Grapefruit juice comes to mind, lingers in a big way. Lemon juice.

Light to medium body. Low carbonation, expected higher. Very dry, approaching puckering.

Alas, if this is one of the best of the bunch for sours, I'm probably never going to be a big fan. Enjoyed Temptation and Supplication much more. I must say that it nails the description on the bottle and for the style. (713 characters)

3.53/5  rDev -20.5%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A Batch 3 - 750 mL bottle that was poured into tulip glass at approximately 48 degrees.

A: A crystal clear golden colored brew with nice head retention, reforming itself relatively quick after a vigorous swirl, and mild lacing.

S: Tart, earthy, and perhaps banana are the main aromas I pick up. Some oak qualities come out a bit more as the beer warms up, but doesn't seem to be the main focus of the smell.

T: A lot of citrus and sour tones, along with an extremely robust oak quality. Many times, I thought it came off too harsh and deterred me from taking additional sips.

M: Good amount carbonation, medium to light body, and slightly dry.

D: The alcohol is hidden extremely well, but the strong and harsh woody finish was hard to tolerate.

Overall: Had anticipated more out of this beer, but a decent beer for the style. Not sure I'll be seeking this one out again, but worth a try. Cheers! (906 characters)

3.56/5  rDev -19.8%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

Batch 5. Thanks to exitmusic00 for cracking this open prior to our bcbs vertical tasting.

A- Pours a bright gold with a thin white head that leaves minimal lacing.

S- Plenty of lemon juice and peel as well as peach upfront, followed by lacto, horse blanket and vinegar.

T- Damn this is sour, just tons of lemon juice, lemon peel, lacto, horse blanket, vinegar and a hint of peach.

M- Fairly high carbonation and a light body with a long dry finish with the sourness lingering on.

O- This is quite sour, but that's pretty much it. Nothing too complex and am confused why this is considered a top wild from RR. Have had a few others from them and this just seems to lack any depth their other offerings had. Glad I got to finally try it, but wouldn't really seek it out. (773 characters)

3.61/5  rDev -18.7%
look: 4.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.5

Served from a 750ml bottle at EBF 2010 in Boston, MA into a tasting glass at the appropriate temperature (02/20/10).

A: Really a unique and beautiful beer. Almost like a neon yellow with a slightly off-white head that quick dissolves in a skin.

S: Wow, this is going to be a sour beverage. I must say that I am just now diving in the world of sours and I can certainly appreciate the style, but I am developing a taste and smell for it as I go along. A good degree of funk of citrus, having a heard time with this one.

T: The smell was funky, but the taste is out of this world. Perhaps the most unique tasting beer I have ever tried. Seems very well-crafted, but it is so sour and funky. Lots of citrus going on as well as great tartness and no sense at all of vinegar which is good thing, for me at least. I feel fortunate to have be able to try this and certainly appreciate it, but I don't feel that my palate is developed enough to pull out all of its complexities.

M: Mouthfeel is quite nice and somewhat lively while being medium-bodied.

D: The extremely sourness is the only limiting factor.

Overall this beer was a true experience and a great leap for me into sours. Well-crafted from a unique brewery and certainly one I would like to revisit in the future. (1,274 characters)

3.69/5  rDev -16.9%

Batch 3 courtesy of grub and batch 2 courtesy of biegaman, sampled on back-to-back nights. Thanks guys for this rare treat! My first wild ale.

Cloudy yellow pour with a tight white cap that dissipates to a ring and leaves a few spots of lace. HUGE sour aroma of lemons and green apples taht really leaps out at you. Mega-sour flavour, with strong lemon and citrus notes throughout. Odd hints of apple, and a touch of funk. Just impressively sour and overwhelming for me. Light body, with a crisp, dry finish.

I don't think sours are really my thing, whihc will save me a bundle in the long run. However, I'm quite impressed with this and I can see why some people have fallen in love with the style. A very well-constructed beer, but not one I'd look for any time soon. (771 characters)

3.72/5  rDev -16.2%

Batch 3.

A: Hazy straw, thin ring of retention leaves a little leg/lace.

S: Huge, overpowering apple tartness. Impressive.

T: A real mouth-puckering tartness, like an unblended lambic. The lactic acid reminds me of sour keys, with hints of underlying candied fruit. The subtleties are certainly lost on me.

M: Light to moderate body has a dry finish.

D: A little tart for my tastes.

Thanks Grub! (401 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -16%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.75 | feel: 4 | overall: 3.75

Sours are not my favorite. I almost feel unqualified to rate them, but to me this one fits right into the RR lineup. People hold it in higher regard for some reason that is beyond my palate, but it's absolutely worth drinking if you are into the style. (252 characters)

3.73/5  rDev -16%

Review #200
Batch 2

A- Pours a cloudy peach color with little to no head.

S- Mostly all brett, some funky sour tones along with some barnyard funk.

T- By far the most sour of the recently released RR sours. Starts of with a strong sourness which subsides and brings forth apples and citrus notes followed by a bit of grape.

M- Medium viscosity, not a lot of carbonation.

D- My least favorite of the RR sours but still a good beer thats worth trying. (454 characters)

3.75/5  rDev -15.5%

Beatification Batch 3
Wild ale brewed in the Gueuze way if I am not mistaken.

750 ml cork and caged bottle enjoyed at Monk's Table. Split with a friend. Poured into a tall, flute like glass. Feels good to slay a whale!

Clear golden with a good white head. Very carbonated, almost fizzy. Aroma is funk, lactic acid and diaper. Tastes intensely and insanely sour with notably less funk compared to the aroma. Strong lemon, medium oak with a slightly tannic and bitter finish.

Very very crisp and bone dry, although the later part of the bottle drank slightly mellower. I like it by all means but I don't see the demand. It was worth the 50 dollars spent only because of its reputation. Assuming that it is fair to compare it to other Gueuze, it's not top shelf.

4, 4, 3.5, 4.5, 3.5 (786 characters)

3.77/5  rDev -15.1%

6% abv batch 002. Thanks Todd1. This little masterpiece reminds me of a wild and also a geuze. Musty aroma, that at the end smells like a basement not aired. The taste, cradles the tongue, there is a fizz, and it becomes more and more..lemon. Amazing sediment in the last once of the bottle. Custard appearance. (311 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -14.9%

Had this several times (batches 2 and 3), bottle and on tap, and while it's pretty good, I just can't understand the hype for this one.

A - Hazy golden color with a white head and good lacing. Some sediment present from the bottle.

S - Sour green apples, lemon, and funk. You can tell this is going to be a tart one.

T - Incredibly sour, lemony pale malt, lactic acid, and grapefruit. I know this is blasphemous, but this beer is too sour IMO. Really dominates the rest of the flavors.

M - Sharp and acidic with medium body. Pretty intense.

D - Not very drinkable. It's just too sour to have very much of. Would be quite a chore to take down an entire 750ml of this in one sitting, so it's good they bottle in 375ml too.

EDIT 2/2010: Had this a couple more times from the bottle and it grows on you a bit. Still a bit one-dimensional and overdone, but it is reasonably drinkable and can be tasty if you get the right batch. Raising it from a B- to a high B+. I like this beer now. (986 characters)

3.78/5  rDev -14.9%

12ozish bottle of Batch 002

Was dark, so really only got main taste notes, but looked nice enough.

S - Vinegar, sour apples

T-M - Nice champagney carbonation, sour brew, tastes like it smells; touch vinegary with sour citrus twists; lemony

D - Enjoyable, though I probably wouldnt have another right away. Though it's a nice wild brew (338 characters)

3.8/5  rDev -14.4%

Batch 002

A: Hazy golden yellow/orange. Pours with virtually no head. Fairly active carbonation bubbling up to the top that quickly mellows

S: Tart green apples. Funky, a little musty.

T/M: Vert tart; probably the tartest beer I've had. Tastes like sour green apples. Earthy. Dry. Not as light bodied, carbonated and crisp as a Belgium gueuze. Interesting stuff.

D: Drinkable in the sense that it's low in abv. But unless you enjoy Warheads regularly you probably aren't going to consume more than a glass of this.

Of the RRBC sours, I put this one last. It's a little too tart for my tastes. But that doesn't mean it's not an interesting one. (649 characters)

3.81/5  rDev -14.2%

Pours into a glass that sits next to a glass of Boon Geuze. Color is a golden straw and slightly cloudy. Initial head that settles into almost nothing. No lacing and very calm all around.

The aroma is very funky, lots of sweaty horse blanket quality with subtle tartness. Light sweet fruitiness. It's truly a farmhouse smelling beer with some light citrus spike and floral orange. Very nice.

Taste is pretty tart overall, with seemingly strong acetobacter characteristics and possibly vinegary notes way down. The beer has a very tart bite. Alcohol finishes out and gives a soft flavor to the end.

Mouthfeel is quite flat, not too carbonated. Pretty dry without much sweetness. Light bodied.

Drinkability is pretty good but a little over the top with tartness so not something you could sip on for too long. Nice flavors and interesting qualities. (851 characters)

3.84/5  rDev -13.5%

Drank from a 12.70 fl. oz. (375 ml) cork and caged bottle
Served in a tulip

Acquired in a trade with mikesgroove

The beer poured a hazy, golden yellow with no head but merely a thin layer of bubbly, bright white froth.

The aroma was super funky and tart. Sour to the max! Citric and acidic with intense lemon notes. Musty and dry. Hay and horse blanket came through strong. As the beer warmed, the mustiness really intensified.

The taste was outrageously sour. At first, this beer more closely resembled pure lemon juice than a "typical" beer. Extremely acidic. Earthy, musty, funky and barnyard-y.The dry, semi-tannic finish was oaky, funky and musty with an intense lemony tartness. Loads of woody earthiness carried into the lingering aftertaste. A surprising amount of hops were noticeable as well. Overall, the flavor profile was rather interesting and unique, yet it definitely was not as complex as I hoped it would be.

The mouthfeel was thinner bodied with a fine, champagne-like effervescence. Slightly watery. For some reason, the lively carbonation did not smooth out or fluff up the beer.

This beer was blindingly sour. In fact, I cannot think of another that is more tart. Even though I love most sour beers, I found this one to be rather overwhelming and somewhat lacking in a number of areas. (1,323 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -13.3%

Had this on tap at Toronado during SF Beer week.
Beatification by RR is a wild ale that is 100% spontaneously fermented beer using the oldest barrels that no longer have any wine flavor or oak flavor left in them. 5.5% abv. It poured a cloudy sun yellow. It smelled of sour, oak and Brett. It tasted sour! Lemon, lemon, lemon sour, Brett and super dry. It is one tart beer! Reminiscent of Isabelle Proximus, a one note incredibly sour beer. (440 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -13.3%

I have been waiting over a year for an occasion special enough to open this bottle. An advance copy of the new album by my absoute favorite band, Current 93 marks such an occasion. Opens with less of a pop than I was anticipating and pours into the Magic Chouffetulip a deep honeyed gold. The head is very slight, and even with coaxing never rises to more than a quarter inch. Smells are slighter than I expected. A soapy, wood soaked funkiness, and an unidentifiable sourness. Taste follows suite. A sour beer to be sure, but not lemony nor apple like in taste. Simply sour, mouthwateringly so. This is not a sparkly, high on the tongue beer. Mouthfeel is smooth and coating. The sourness lingers, the mouth waters. As the beer warms, smells become much more assertive and pronounced, geueuze like. Drinkability is good, but the sour woodiness keeps this an indulgent sipper.

All in all, a delicious beer, but not as good as the Temptation I had previously. The Current 93, Aleph at Hallucinatory Mountain, is a Sunn O like rocker by the way, as unique as their previous offering. Much like this beer. God bless Russian River and Current 93. (1,143 characters)

3.85/5  rDev -13.3%

Thanks to KTolley for sharing this prize...limited notes taken at a after-holiday party.

Big aromatics of white pepper and peaches.

Massive tartness up front; finishes very dry. Nice base malt flavor balances the sourness.

This beer was a hit for the night with wide range of beers. id love to get my hands on a few bottles to monitor how this beer develops with age. (370 characters)

3.86/5  rDev -13.1%

Sour Bomb! Add sour to sour and you get this beer. Newest batch, on tap at O'Briens SD for the 15th annv party. Not much of a nose, funk and brett a bit. Would go killer with food. Also very interested to see how this will age. Should the texture soften and the brett and other funk develope this could turn out to be something very special. (341 characters)

3.87/5  rDev -12.8%

Bottle Serving: 375 mL
%ABV: 6.00%

Poured into a Duvel glass this wild has a cloudy golden color with a frothy and retreating head that quickly dissapates to a few bubbles around the edge of the glass.

The Aromas are very crisp, refined, and citrusy. There is a ton of white vinegar in the nose along with dry tannins and light oak. I can definately smell the chardonay in this beer.

First taste is like an intense puckering tart candy. It's like a flavor explosion in the mouth. There is a ton of lemon, vinegar, and lime. This would be the perfect beer with fajitas and handmade corn tortillas.

Mouthfeel is extremely light and airy. There's a little carbonation on the tongue; just enough to increase the tartness of the beer.

Drinkabilty is a tough one to nail on this beer. I could drink one of these every year and be good so I can't say it's really all that drinkable. I don't want to break out the 750 in the cellar by any means. I do think the tastes, smells, and other components are great just not something I'd go back to repeatedly. I will try this again. (1,083 characters)

3.89/5  rDev -12.4%

I've had this before, but this review is for a recent tasting. I drank this alongside a Temptation and Supplication, as well as various ratio'd blends of the three with a pluot muddle to christen my vintage Temptation/Supplication/Beatification/Compunction glass.

Batch 5.

Slightly hazy golden-yellow pour, with a finger or so of white head that retained nicely and streaked the glass with thin lacing. Aroma was pretty intense: lactic, acetic, sour, green apple, citrus. More intense sourness/tartness in the taste...I was told this batch gets "sour in a bad way" with age. I didn't really think it was "in a bad way," but it wasn't exactly smooth. Flavors of green apple, crabapple, lemon, oak, brett, hay, vinegar, white grapes; lactic and tannic notes came out more as it warmed. Medium body, moderate carbonation, heartburn-inducing. Overall good, but probably one of the lower beers on the "-ation" totem poll for me.

Cutting this with Temptation and Supplication really took the edge off. And that's kind of scary. (1,030 characters)

Beatification from Russian River Brewing Company