Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

BeatificationBeatification

Wants: 2,727
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beatification Alström Bros

OldPenguinHunter, Apr 17, 2012
3.03/5  rDev -33.6%

Bright yellow with a short bubbly white head. Low to no retention.

Big sour nose. A touch of sour apple. Funky.

Very sour flavor. Lemon juice and rind. That's pretty much it.

Mouth is light and crisp. High carb.

Overall not a Lot of complexity IMO. Very one note sour. Sour lemony citrus.

MrVonzipper, Jun 03, 2012
3.08/5  rDev -32.5%
look: 4 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 2.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 2.5

12.7 oz. caged and corked > Stella glass
batch 002

Looks like clover honey with an orange glow. 1" white frothy foam crowns and falls pretty fast with plenty of stickiness left over.

Whoa, it's a nice, big aroma. I'm sitting at least two feet away from the glass and the breeze from outside is whaffing the aroma my way! Sweet and sour fruits, tangy grapes, mandarin oranges, sweet/tart candy, musty herbs.

First impression: CRINGE!!!! major bitter-face. Unlike Temptation and Supplication the flavor of this wild bad-boy is just too funked-up for me, but only because of it's intense, medicinal and metallic bitter flavor that kills everything else. Tart/metallic/bitter that's about all I'm getting. Dissapointing to say the least, I really enjoyed the Other wild ales from these guys.

The feel is light and crisp at first, then becomes much less lively pretty fast. Perhaps some oxidation has taken effect with this one?

GratefulBeerGuy, Jul 14, 2008
3.23/5  rDev -29.2%

Thanks to cloudskipper who sent me this bottle via the Secret Santa BIF almost a year ago. I've been saving it for the right time, &, well, that time is now. It's warm in Minnesota in late November, that's reason enough to celebrate!

Batch 3. Only 2/3 of the bottle poured between my wife & I initially to keep the sediment trapped in the big, cool bottle. Pours an almost radioactive yellow with evident carbonation but no head to speak of. Smell is sheer wild. Dry, cirtus, with a tangy undercurrent of champagne, which must be the yeast. Interesting.

Beatification is mouth-puckeringly dry. Even before the taste kicks in, this is the primary impression I come away with from the first sip. After I unpucker, I get the sour lemon, the brett, the wood drying out my mouth even more. I'm going to need to drink some liquid after I finish this. Drinkable? Even for a wild, this is down on the scale for me.

Good beer. Unfairly, I was expecting some kind of heavenly notes to sound when I opened the bottle, but this wasn't as good as some other sours I've had. Good, but simple.

maximum12, Nov 20, 2009
3.25/5  rDev -28.7%

375ml bottle from Capone's. My 100th rating of a beer brewed in California. Pours hazy straw yellow with no head. The aroma is an aggressive blend of citrus rind, hay or straw, funky cheese. The flavor is very tart and yogurt-ish. Just a little bit if malty sweetness left. Medium body with tons of carbonation and a bone dry finish.

tjthresh, Jan 11, 2009

VeganUndead, Jan 26, 2014
3.25/5  rDev -28.7%

Shared a bomber with carps12 at a tasting this summer (2k9)

A - Pale yellow / straw colored, with a hint of orange. Very minimal head that dissipated almost immediatley.

S - Holy horse blanket. That descriptor didn't mean anything to me until I smelled this beer. This is the definition of "barnyard". Hints of lemony citrus as well.

T - SOUR SOUR SOUR. I'm a huge fan of geuze, lambic, flanders red, etc, but this one is puckeringly sour. Pushing the limits here for me, especially at first. Once the palate adjusts, it's not too bad, but up front it's pretty intense. Lots of sweaty lemon with some wood notes.

M - Not a huge amount of carbonation, but not flat. The acidity here overpowers my first impressions, but evens out a bit on the third sip and beyond.

D - Tough to drink at first, but after your palate adjusts it's actually pretty good. Still was tough to finish the bottle between two of us.

Overall, it's an interesting beer, but not terribly balanced, and missing the complexity imparted by the barrels of various other Russian River "sours". Worth trying if you have the chance, but it's not something I would go out of my way to try again.

Tiklmelmo, Nov 11, 2009

wrightst, May 24, 2014

phishbone23, Jan 22, 2013
3.38/5  rDev -25.9%

A: This brew poured a yellow/golden color with virtually no head.

S: The aroma was sour and wine like.

T: Help! My tastebuds were just ambushed! This is a sour/wine like brew. Sour apples are definitely apparent. I think I'm tasting brett in the finish.

M: Thin and remarkably dry.

D: While this is an interesting beer, I'm not totally in tune with the style yet....but I'm trying (I kept style in mind while rating).

barefootbrewer, Jun 23, 2008
3.38/5  rDev -25.9%

A foggy pale yellow pour with just a squidge of lacing. Looks flat. Quick swirl and not much pops up.
Unripe fruit smell, green. A good sourness dominates, lemon and key lime. Some biscuit. Juicy.

Lemon sourness in the mouth. Tingles a bit and the biscuit comes out. Seems young. At this abv I shouldn't get much alcohol, but I think I get some. Not sure about this.
Good sour beer, would like to see more flavor. Just kinda bland, imho.

Mebuzzard, Oct 07, 2009
3.48/5  rDev -23.7%

Batch 4

A: Hazy yellow pour with a number of bubbles racing to the top of the beer. About a finger or two of white head sticks around for a good amount of time, and laces nicely.

S: It smells like sour tartness and not much else. Slight oaky and yeasty underneath.

T: Like the smell, I'm having difficulty describing the taste. It's basically just tart and sour with not much complexity. That's not to say I don't like it, I think it tastes very good, it just isn't much different than any American Wild Ale you could pick up off the shelf. The balance between tart and sweet is quite nice.

MF: Light and bubbly, the cork almost popped out of the bottle without any pulling. Very drinkable I would say.

O: For what this took to get I'm a bit disappointed. It just tasted a bit average for me. The aggressive sour is impressive, but the rest of the beer doesn't entirely back it up.

russwbeck, Aug 12, 2012

JWalterWeatherman, Jun 20, 2014

AaronOp, Jan 27, 2014
Photo of
3.53/5  rDev -22.6%

12oz. bottle, acquired in San Francisco.

Slightly hazy, dark yellow-light golden color. Modest, white head. No legs, some lacing. Cork eased out of the bottle with a gentle phht!

Scent was sour! Touch of vinegar. Fruit -- sour apples, vitamin C. Some funkiness/earthiness. Cellar smell.

Taste was SOUR. Acetic acid, vitamin C again. Grapefruit juice comes to mind, lingers in a big way. Lemon juice.

Light to medium body. Low carbonation, expected higher. Very dry, approaching puckering.

Alas, if this is one of the best of the bunch for sours, I'm probably never going to be a big fan. Enjoyed Temptation and Supplication much more. I must say that it nails the description on the bottle and for the style.

, Jun 13, 2008
3.53/5  rDev -22.6%
look: 4 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 3.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 3.5

A Batch 3 - 750 mL bottle that was poured into tulip glass at approximately 48 degrees.

A: A crystal clear golden colored brew with nice head retention, reforming itself relatively quick after a vigorous swirl, and mild lacing.

S: Tart, earthy, and perhaps banana are the main aromas I pick up. Some oak qualities come out a bit more as the beer warms up, but doesn't seem to be the main focus of the smell.

T: A lot of citrus and sour tones, along with an extremely robust oak quality. Many times, I thought it came off too harsh and deterred me from taking additional sips.

M: Good amount carbonation, medium to light body, and slightly dry.

D: The alcohol is hidden extremely well, but the strong and harsh woody finish was hard to tolerate.

Overall: Had anticipated more out of this beer, but a decent beer for the style. Not sure I'll be seeking this one out again, but worth a try. Cheers!

OlieIPA, Jan 17, 2010