Learn more about beer and save over 53% with a 3-year subscription.

Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 3,103
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006

Reviews: 519 | Hads: 2,345
3.89/5  rDev -13%

I've had this before, but this review is for a recent tasting. I drank this alongside a Temptation and Supplication, as well as various ratio'd blends of the three with a pluot muddle to christen my vintage Temptation/Supplication/Beatification/Compunction glass.

Batch 5.

Slightly hazy golden-yellow pour, with a finger or so of white head that retained nicely and streaked the glass with thin lacing. Aroma was pretty intense: lactic, acetic, sour, green apple, citrus. More intense sourness/tartness in the taste...I was told this batch gets "sour in a bad way" with age. I didn't really think it was "in a bad way," but it wasn't exactly smooth. Flavors of green apple, crabapple, lemon, oak, brett, hay, vinegar, white grapes; lactic and tannic notes came out more as it warmed. Medium body, moderate carbonation, heartburn-inducing. Overall good, but probably one of the lower beers on the "-ation" totem poll for me.

Cutting this with Temptation and Supplication really took the edge off. And that's kind of scary.

4.65/5  rDev +4%

Pours a very slightly fogged gold with basically no head. Nose is citrus and sweet. The funk is there too. Flavor is, well... Flavor is holy ----! Sour to the core with evident citrus. Pretty amazing stuff. Feel has a light and smooth carbonation to it. Liquid is good. Lovers of sours unite! The American lambic lives!

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%
look: 2.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Cheers to colonelforbin for this one!

Batch 003 opens with a slight pop, pours an effervescent golden honey color with a pinky of ivory colored head. Not much head retention or lacing

S: Sourness, hay & barnyard in this, just intensifies as this warms

T: Lemon tartness, green apple sourness & a bit of hay up front. Tartness, green apples oakyness & lemon & hay are all there as this warms. Finishes with puckery tartness, oaky dryness, a bit of balsamic vinegar acidity & sooo much sourness

MF: Light/medium bodied with slight carbonation & much dryness

Drinks very easy, always happy to try anything from these guys, I think I prefer these heavier & darker for optimal effect, none of the RR sours are slouches though. If you like big-time funk & sourness, this is your huckleberry...

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

From 04/14/12 notes. Thanks to everyone who brought this to our DC Sour Tasting; never had it and have wanted to for a while. Got to sample a near vertical, as we had batched 1, PH1, 2, 3, and 4 side by side. I found batches 1 and PH1 very different fro the rest, as they were much sweeter then the others, and found batch 2 to be the sourest, almost too sour. Batch 3 was amazing and my favorite, so the one I'm reviewing. My order went:

3, Ph1, 1, 2, 4

a - Pours a transparent golden color with one inch of bright white head and moderate carbonation evident.

s - Smells of tart cherries, sour fruits, citrus, lemon, oak, fruity malts, very acedic. Awesome nose, with just a ton of sour fruits.

t - Tastes of very sour cherries, sour dark fruits, and fruity malts, lemon, citrus, light funk, acedic, oak, vinegar. More sour dark fruit, especially cherries, in the taste, and a inty bit funky. Awesome, perfect tasting sour for me.

m - Medium body and moderate carbonation. Acedic mouthfeel.

o - Overall I thought this was an amazing sour; probably my favorite RR beer to date. All batches of this were very good, btu Batch 3 is unreal right now. Highly recommended, definitely looking for more bottles of this one.

4.54/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Batch 003 courtesy of the Nanoslugs - thanks so much guys! Served in a Cantillon tulip.

A - A finger of white foam settles to pretty much nothing. Lightly hazed golden orange body.

S - Funk, stone fruits, oak, white wine vinegar, horse blanket, hay, and other farmy notes. Extremely gueuze-like.

T - That is also quite excellent, with plenty of tart and sour grapes, white wine, green apple, brash farmy funk, and a mildly acetic finish.

M - Medium-low carbonation, medium in body, super dry and tannic finish. Crisp and refreshing.

D - A great beer, although I think I prefer the increased acidity of Batch 002. Still, this is the most Belgian of the "easily" available American Wild Ales. When I shared it with a highly regarded brewer his first two guesses were beers from Cantillon and Drie Fonteinen. I'm not sure there's a greater compliment I could give.

Will add in my thoughts on Batch 002 when I get around to opening my last bottle. Highly recommended stuff - I'm anxiously looking forward to Batch 004. Wish this still came in 750mls.

4.57/5  rDev +2.2%

We decided to do a segmented vertical at ffej of july this year. I brought my Batch #2, Deuane brought his Batch #3, and Jwiss22 brought his Batch #5. This review will be a combination of the three.

A - Pours hazy golden yellow with a small half finger tall white head leaving very small streaks of lace down a small portion of the glass.

S - Smells of lots of acidic sourness, white grape, lemons, green apples, oak and some barnyard funk. Batch #2 is mostly sourness at this point, Batch #3 has all the flavors in near perfect balance and Batch #5 is probably the "fruitiest" of the three.

T - Starts off with an intense sourness that never really goes away. The fruit - the lemons, grapes and apples from the nose - combine with some musty barnyard funk and dry oak to offer some contrast to the sourness but they can only do so much. Finish is quite dry, lingering on the palate long after consumption.

M - All three batches possess a light body with intense flavors and moderate to moderately low carbonation. Very sour, dry finish on all three batches.

O - All three of these were really good. My Batch #2 was definitely the most sour, Batch #3 was probably my favorite since it was the most balanced and Batch #5 just tasted a little raw compared to the other two. This was a seriously delicious test.

4.2/5  rDev -6%

Thanks to BrewerB for this one!

750 ml cage-corked bottle, poured into a tulip glass:

Pours hazed/clouded golden with a pillowy white head that thins and stays. Uneven rings of lacing stick.

The smell is of lemon, sour/tart with oak and some grassy notes.

The taste is of tart lemon, very funky, acidic and oaky - some vanilla. Bready with fruitiness that becomes peach-like, then orange (with some banana and coconut). Enough malt is there to balance things out. Complex with an underlying funky sourness that works very well!

There's an effervescence to it while maintaining a nice body.

Funky, complex, nicely done!

4.5/5  rDev +0.7%

Batch PH3 (I think). This is the fourth sour from RR I've had (Temptation, Supplication, Consecration) and this was by far my favorite.

Beer is yellow and clear. Carbonation is moderate to low and forms a two fingered head of medium and small white bubbles. Head falls away leaving a lot of lacing behind.

Beer is a sour bomb. Totally citric and acetic but does not devolve into vinegar as some of these lighter bodied ones do. Its medium to low in body, the carbonation is important in the mouth. Drinkability is the really high and its the best tasting sour I've had. Tartness really hits me in the corners of my mouth but overall a great and solid sour. I'm shocked its not rated higher. I'll be seeking this out again.

4.82/5  rDev +7.8%

Big thanks to Nanobrew and FosterJM for this one!

A: Slight pop when the cork came off. Pours a hazy golden orange with a nice white, fizzy head on top. Pretty good retention with sporadic lacing that doesn't last too long.

S: Fantastic tartness. Some peach, lemon, apricot, and white grapes. Nice citrus fruits and some nice barnyard funk that blends nicely with the fruit/tartness.

T: Has a very gueuze like flavor, lots of tart lemon and some apricot. Underneath there is some tart green apple and more white grapes. Very mouth puckering and it is amazing.

M: Medium bodied, great level of carbonation. Very tart/acidic, but I am really liking it.

O: Simply put, amazing. One of the best beers I have ever had hands down. Great flavor and extremely tart.

4.32/5  rDev -3.4%

Batch 002

Poured into La Trappe goblet.

Poured slowly producing a thin fizzy layer of white head. Fades quickly. No lace. Color is a bright golden orange sunset.

Aroma: Some vinegar, but has a big funky barnyard aroma going on. A ton of acidic citrus. Very sour of course. A different aroma from what I was expecting, but I like it.

Taste: Sour and tarty as hell, but has a sweet farmhouse funk to it. Hay and vinegar. Very acidic and funky. My mouth waters with every sip. Also has some oak to it.

Mouthfeel: This beer is super sour, maybe almost to sour, but I don't mind it. Light bodied with a high level of carbonation.

Overall, this is a sweet beer. I like the sourness, but it still has a sweet funky farmhouse taste. I can easily drink more of this.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%

375 ml bottle, batch 5 graciously sent to me by smarcoly. Thank you for the hook-up as always! Served into a Lost Abbey tumbler.

A: Semi-hazy golden orange colored body with a modest finger worth of white head. Not much lacing and only a minor ring of bubbles lined the edges of the glass. For the style, this isn't unexpected at all.

S: Lemon, acidic funk, tart citrus notes, orange, white grapes. The barrel character surprisingly comes through towards the end with plenty of soft oak and sweet vanilla. An absolutely delightful smelling beer.

T: More acidic lemon, orange and peach up front which transitions into a quick oak character. The tartness washes quickly through the palate bringing in some dry white grape flavors and ending with touches of floral spice.

M: Highly carbonated, prickly and spritzy on the palate though never feeling thin at all. Really what you'd want from a Wild Ale. No dryness or linger of anything off-putting. Just really well done in this aspect.

Easily my favorite of all the Russian River sours I've sampled to date. This one has a very bright citrusy profile I love. Hands down one sour I'd drink on a regular basis if I could.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Batch 5, 375ml corked and caged offering poured into a long stemmed tulip. The brew appears a hazed golden color with a finger of white head. The cap slowly fades but maintains a layering across the top from continuously rising bubbles of carbonation. A light swirl revives the cap and paints some patches of lacing on the glass.

The aroma of this brew is pretty darn fantastic. It smells lemony and lactic with a fruited quality that is almost like white grape juice. More smells bring out a greater focus on the barrel aging with a scent of moist cork and a bit of sweetness mildly reminiscent of vanilla that integrates so well with the previously described white grape juice scent. This brew has me salivating pretty bad even before I take my first sip. As the brew warms up and is swirled, a bit of a funky cheese note evolves.

The flavor of this brew is quite acidic. This ranks up there with some of the most sour offerings I have had. A flavor of lemony tartness blends into a tannic bacterial spike of acidity that rips the moisture right out of your mouth. The lactic edge gives way to some barrel flavor of moist cork mingled with layers of funk that are somewhat barnyard-like and earthen almost like something along the lines of must and cobwebs? The finish is a mixture of earth and acidity that is so sharp yet dry that you have to dive right back in for another sip. When small sips are taken, this brew really drives home flavors of lemon juice. When bigger gulps are taken, more earthen flavors are present with almost a bit of mineral edge.

This is a light bodied brew with a lively amount of carbonation that is not over done. It is light and lively in the feel with a brutal dryness and acidity to it. This is really a fantastic brew that nearly borders on being too much. I have waiting a very long time to try this and it has met my expectations quite well. The nose on this is unreal and while the flavor is deep and complex, it is a harsh bugger that is not for the faint of heart. I guess this goes without saying, wild ale fans, this is a must-try.

4.62/5  rDev +3.4%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a 1/2" white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is outstanding. It has a light, pale and wheat malt scent with a mild sourness; very well done. The taste is awesome as hell. Wow, what a great sour flavor. It's light and easy drinking with a mouth-puckering sourness. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with adequate/good carbonation. This is a damn fine wild ale. It's no secret why this one is in the top 100.

4.89/5  rDev +9.4%

I shared this at my tasting on August 7, 2010. Served alongside six other Russian River wild ales.

Batch 003

A: Beatification appears a very hazy yellow hue. There is a small head comprised of white bubbles that leaves a little lacing on the glass.

S: The aroma is simply amazing. I was expecting great things, and was not disappointed. Sour funk, lemons, hay, and brettanomyces are the basic makeup of the scents.

T: Not surprisingly, Beatification tastes phenomenal, as the fine aroma would indicate. Really tart, this is almost like a lemon gueuze. The aroma is staggering as you get the glass near your face, then the flavor is just awesome. The taste was an instant 5. World class.

M: As sour as this beer is, there is no harshness or astringent aspects to it. A pleasant pucker and lingering aftertaste with every drink.

D: I would drink this every day if it were feasible. Wow.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

Batch 003. The beer pours a hazy gold color with a white head. The aroma is much more funky than the other Russian River sours I have rated. I get some cheesy funk, a little tartness and some oak and vanilla. The flavor is more of the cheesy funk with some tart lemons and oak character. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.83/5  rDev +8.1%

08/11/06- Purchased by mail order direct from Russian River Brewery in Santa Rosa, CA.

Presentation- Batch 001-PH1. 375ml (12.7oz) bottle which was caged and corked. Poured into an oversized wine glass.

Appearance- Opens with a loud pop and pours with furious carbonation. The loudest talking beer I have ever heard. The carbonation was just screaming. Poured into a huge ass wine goblet, maybe 22oz capacity. Filled close to the top at pour and settled down at about a 1/4 inch of a spitzy yet slight creamy looking top. Quite lovely cobwebs and small chunks of lace leftover in the aftermath.

Smell- Bits of stinky horse blanket and musty barn and moth balls. You know this one will be a sour one upon the taste. Sour overripe fruits appear after the cork pops.

Taste- Pretty much pure decadence. Combines the flavor of several of my favorite styles of beer. Has a NB Love flavor (which makes sense as it was aged in those barrels). Has a nice Flanders Ale quality....liked to Goudenband and even has that nice barnyard Fantome-esque flavor. Sour, but about the perfect acidic level fruits rush around. Lemon rind, maybe some cherries and raspberries. All combine to make you crave that next sip.

Mouthfeel- A tad bit highly carbonated and gaseous, but not too much as to hinder drinking. Sweet and sour aftertaste that lasts just long enough to tempt you for that next sip.

Drinkability- Well, I timed this one about perfect. Sat here on an early evening night in Broadview, Montana...nothing but vast farmland as far as the eyes can see. A few antelope over here, a few partridges over there and a cow or two mooing in the background...not to mention the bats starting to fly into the barn and the two hoot-owls going at it. Ahhh, all this in the middle of a thunderstorm. Review #999 and taking a 8 month or so beer respite as of bedtime this Sunday....only have a Dreadnaught in waiting for my last beer in my self imposed beer break due to my wife's pregnancy. This was about the perfect beer today. Great taste, incredibly refreshing due to the higher humidity today. Russian River scores again. Vinnie...thanks for making one of my last brews for a while a memorable one. Extreme highest of recommendation!!

4.37/5  rDev -2.2%

Batch 3, poured from a 750 ml bottle into a tulip glass. Pours a yellow gold color with a small white head that settled to a small ring around the glass.

Aroma has some apple and grape fruit flavors with a slight citrusness and sourness. Taste is very good. The sourness hits you first with the fruity apple and grape flavors coming through. The sourness reminds me a lot of sour candies maybe, sweet tarts. It finishes with the funky barnyard flavors that I have read about but not experienced for so long.

Mouthfeel is medium bodied with above average carbonation. Drinkability is good, this is a very strong flavor but also very enjoyable.

Overall I am very impressed, I would consider this one of my first real sour beers and definitely my first American sour. I can definitely see why these RR sours are so sought after now. Excellent beer that I would definitely buy again.

Batch 001, Sampled July 2006
Pours with an orangish, hazy (got a bit more sediment than I thought on that pour), gold color. It is topped by a frothy, pale tan colored head that disappears fairly quickly. It is pretty well carbonated, but seems to be a bit more subdued than the PH1. As soon as I pour this beer it is apparent to my nose that this is a sour beer; tart acidic notes reach my nostrils. A lactic sourness seems to dominate, almost has that fresh grapefruit aroma that some straight Lambics pick up. Does not have much in the way of Brettanomyces character; there does seem to be a touch of musty Brett funk and perhaps a hint of urea, but that is fairly subdued. When digging around in the nose there is a dry, malty, toasted grain note almost like crackers. This does not have the funk in the aroma, or the woody notes that the batch-001 PH1 had, it is still quite nice though and reminds me of the aromatics on a batch of Girardin straight Lambic I once had in Beersel Belgium.

Dry, tart and lactic from the get go, this is actually a bit harder in its perceived acidity than the PH1. I say perceived because this beer does not have as many of the balancing notes (wood and funk come to mind), that the other batch did, so it may just seem more tart. It does remind me some of a very tart grapefruit, sour yet with a bit of fruity complexity that a lemon does not have. Hints of green apples (in fact even something that reminds of a green apple jolly rancher) and a touch of unripe pear. The finish is at first dominated by the sourness (like the rest of the beer), but picks up a touch of astringency, perhaps some tannins, a dry sort of lingering, biscuit like maltiness and even a note that reminds me of Curacao orange peel. Wonderfully easy drinking, and light on the palate, while at the same time having a sort of creamy mouthfeel to it.

While it is not as challenging or complex, I really like it for its aggressive straight forward tartness. The dominant tartness is joined by a touch of malt character, some austere fruit notes and perhaps a wisp of funk. Another characterful brew from what is fast becoming one of my absolute favorite breweries.

4.42/5  rDev -1.1%

Thanks goes out to Arbitrator for the assist, batch 3, poured into Duvel snifters for best effect.

A- Beatification is quite beasutiful. A hazy mix of yellow and orange giving off a glowing look when up towards light. The head was not high, probably like a 1/2 inch of semi loose white foam. Lacing is not great, but this one is still quite a looker.

S- This smells great. A big blast of sourness with a backdrop of citrus consisting of lemons. Not very funky, more tart like. This wild is very closely resembling a gueuze. The smell just lingers from the glass, drawing you in.

T- Oh my, a sour tart punch straight to the tastebuds. This one woke me up. With the up front citrus the squeezed lemon is there plus some minimal grapefruit. There is some funk going on but I would not call it funky, maybe that's just in this newer batch. Quite acidic and delicious. Some oak and more funk come out with warming.

M- Puckering to say the least, let this one roll around in your mouth for some time and it will open you up. Tart, fruity and refreshing. Finishes dry with perfect carbonation giving off a spritzy feel when the drink is colder. The body is in between light and medium and is again perfect for this style.

D- A low ABV like this would grant a whole bottle to the head, but all the bugs in my system afterwards is not a good look and would eat my skinny ass up. When I gain 100 pounds or so I will attempt to drink a 750 of this, for now sharing is fine with me. The drinkability on this is insane, I drank my glass in no time, and now im looking for more.

3.37/5  rDev -24.6%

A foggy pale yellow pour with just a squidge of lacing. Looks flat. Quick swirl and not much pops up.
Unripe fruit smell, green. A good sourness dominates, lemon and key lime. Some biscuit. Juicy.

Lemon sourness in the mouth. Tingles a bit and the biscuit comes out. Seems young. At this abv I shouldn't get much alcohol, but I think I get some. Not sure about this.
Good sour beer, would like to see more flavor. Just kinda bland, imho.

4.82/5  rDev +7.8%

On-tap at O'Brien's,

A: Pours a lightly hazy dark yellow with a mild white head.

S: Sour apples, light malt, similar to a gueuze, light funk to it.

T: Just a beautiful beer. Light fermented fruit plays with the acidity in a complex, great mix. Almost a champagne quality to it, reminded me a lot of Cantillon with the high acidity. If I tasted this blind I would have thought it a Belgian gueuze, no doubt about it.

M: Very sour, not as dry as I thought it would be, it has a light sweetness that carries it through. What I want in a mouthfeel for a wild ale.

D: This is really good. Had to almost chug my first one since I had to order 3 beers at a time and couldn't carry them all. The second time around I got to really get into the beer. This is my first time having this one, and it shows Vinnie really knows what he's doing. This with Supplication are my favourite RR sours. Edit 2/2010 - I just had some batch 2 of this that may be the best beer I've ever had, the complexity and flavour is incredible and delicious.

4.54/5  rDev +1.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

375 mL bottle poured into an RR -tion glass. Batch 5, bottled 1/10/2012. A celebration beer. Robotics National (International?) Champs.

Appearance - Pours a hazy golden-orange body. No much of a head. Small bit of white foam that settles to a ring of bubbles. Not really lively looking.

Smell - Nice tart fruit aromas. Citrus orange and lemon. Good dose of white peppery funk, but it's not anywhere near as strong as the best Belgian lambics.

Taste - First sip is tart, quite tart. Loads of lemon tang to it. Fades quickly, though. Wheat and hay permeate the flavor as it fades to a peppery funk in the end. Again, it's not moldy cheese funky or nasty sweaty feet sock funky, but it's a touch funky.

Mouthfeel - Finishes crisply and without a puckering sour flavor. It actually retains a bit of a sweetness. Just a hint. Lingering flavors are excellent. This is a well crafted beer. Finishes with just a touch of bitterness.

Overall - Really pleasant sour. Easily the best from RR and definitely one of the best American Wilds out there. Compared to a true Belgian lambic, though, it's not up with the best. Lacks a bit of complexity and definitely missing the funk that I crave. I'm being picky, though. This is delicious and a worthy celebration beer.

4.58/5  rDev +2.5%

Batch 002 375ml bottle.
Received in trade from largadeer, thanks for the opportunity.

I can smell the funk as soon as I pop the cork. Pours a crystal clear deep golden color with a good sized white head that sticks around for a while. Smells of barnyard funk, lemon, tart fruits, and leather. Smells very tart, I think I'm in for a treat. The taste is mouth puckering sour and dry with lots of tart fruits especially lemon and sour orange. Hints of horse blanket and tobacco round it out. Leaves a bone dry finish in which you can feel the lactic acid burn down your throat until it splashes into your stomach. Every sip leaves your mouth watering for more. Medium low carbonation, Medium light body. Wow that's a great sour beer! Lots of acid, some funk, very little vinegar. Vinnie you've done it again.

4.67/5  rDev +4.5%

Decided to crack open a bottle of Beatification, batch 002 for my 900th review. Pours straw colored, slightly hazy, and with no head. The smell is quite funky with lots of lemon sourness and great barnyard aromas. The taste is super tart up front, followed by a splendid funkiness with loads of horseblanket character as well as a dose of minerality. Ripe soft cheese and lemon on the finish. Smooth, tart, refreshing in the mouth. Delicious and the real deal. I shared a bottle of this with brickstoredave, and his comment was "Wow, an American brewer made this beer?". My thoughts exactly. What an accomplishment and one more reason Russian River is my favorite American brewery.

4.75/5  rDev +6.3%

From notes:

Batch 003 750ml received as an extra in a trade with ipa247. Thanks a lot man! Your generosity knows no bounds.

Pours a dark hazy golden banana yellow color with golden yellow hues when held to a light source and a two finger frothy white head. Decent retention, slowly fading into a lasting ring that leaves sporadic spots of lacing behind.

Funky Brett aroma with hints of earthy oak, crisp light fruit, champagne yeast.

Medium bodied with a slightly puckering tart mouthfeel. Soft carbonation with some earthy oak notes as well as some puckering sour funk. The great thing about this beer is although it is sour and funky with dry bretty efervescence, it isn't acetic at all and is actually very well balanced by the citrus and light fruit notes. Hints of lemon peel as well as apple and pear. Complex and extremely complex with a nice tart finish. Each sip leaves me salivating for more. Get this beer!!

Beatification from Russian River Brewing Company