Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

BeatificationBeatification

Wants: 2,829
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beatification Alström Bros

4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

Cheers to Goblinmunkey7 for sharing this

Note: Batch 5

Consumed 6/24/12

Appearance: Pours hazy, bright gold - big, white head to start - retains a little cap, leaves a few spots of lacing

Smell: Sour, so much sour - truly a bouquet of bacteria - sharp acidity, tart, with some serious wood - funky, but mostly sour, so sour - some pale malts underneath

Taste: Sour - so, so sour - unbelievably sour - a sharp, glorious sour that coats the mouth and sticks around - some lemon - very tart - some wood in the background, with a base of pale malts - acidic with some citrus

Mouthfeel: Light to medium, nicely carbonated, puckering to the extreme

Overall: Glorious

This is like sour concentrate. It's like alchemy, but with sour flavor. In a word, this is masterful. One of the best beers I've had from Russian River, and that is really saying something.

4.65/5  rDev +2%

Purchased directly from RRBC. Batch 003. Poured from a 750ml corked and caged bottle into my NBB snifter. I miss the older style 375ml bottles that they used to have for their sours but the extra size here more than makes up for that. The label has the usual RRBC on the back - wish more breweries took the time and care to do stuff like that. It was a hazy golden yellow color. It had tons of carbonation. No lacing. I poured slowly, as suggested on the label, so as not to disturb the yeast so the head was quite small. Fizzy, white and gone in a flash.

The aroma was FUNKY (oh yeah). Barnyard, wet horse blanket and lemon. I love sour beer aromas and this one was excellent. The taste was a sour bomb with a carb attack to boot. Mouth puckering sour from start to finish. Vinegary and funky. Ends very dry but then lets up right before being too dry. Mouthfeel is exceptional with great carbonation and acidic bite.

Overall, another classic from Russian River. I like Supplication and Temptation a tad better but this one is outstanding. Got another one that I'm going to age a bit and see how it tastes in about a year. Highly recommend. Wish I could get more of it.

**RE-SAMPLE** Had my aged one on 9/14/09. Poured into a Duvel tulip so even more carbonation this time. Head was larger and stuck around a bit longer. Aroma was still funky but was more classic brett with the lemon and barnyard toned down a little but still great. Taste was also still amazing. Would leave scores the same if re-reviewing.

4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

Batch 001

A: Fizzy carbonation that I'll let chill a bit before taking a sip. The blue tinted white head has reduced to a healthy ring and wispy top. The color of the body is truly breathtaking...A vibrant dark golden hue. No visible sediment but damned if you are going to see thru this beer. Walking the line between raw and hand crafted.

S: Lemon, oak, yeast, wet hay, sourdough bread and a quite a few other aromas that most brewers try to avoid.

T: Oh my...oh my goodness. The pungent sourness is immediate and apparent. This much I expected. The exotic yeasts then lend their buttery goodness and transform the beer from a standard sour to so much more. I expected this as well but not too the level at which its achieved. An ameretto flavor pops up and displays a nutty personality that took me by surprise. From there the beer moves towards a dryer tone with the sourness and sweetness balancing then waining and the buttery brett holding strong across the palate.

M: Full bodied but a smooth but somewhat prickly carbonation.

D: These friggin guys, I swear. Where do they get off making beer like this? Who the hell do they think they are?

I think they are the best brewers in the world, but thats just me. Simply staggering.

3.93/5  rDev -13.8%

Thanks to lagadeer for this one!

This beer pours a lemony gold color in to my tulip. A column of micro-bubbles rise up from the dimple in the bottom. Be careful on the pour. One glass got a little of the dregs in it and it looked a lot more dull.

Smells of raspberries, red grapefruit and a touch of banana with a strong emphasis on the tart aspects of these beers. There's a pleasant wild funk that permeates the entire nose. In the distance there's a clover honey and some wild flowers.

The flavor is predominantly funky tartness that reminds me of eating under-ripe crabapples as a kid. It picks up a flash of black pepper too along with ultra tart cherry and orange. It's hard to really articulate just how funky the funk is, but this one seemed to be a little more "in your face" and unbalanced that other Russian River beers.

Feels dense, but mysteriously vacant with only the slightest hint of tiny carbonation. This really helps the mouth deal with the funk.

A tasty wild ale, but not one of RR's best.

4.53/5  rDev -0.7%

Pours a murky golden amber in color. Decent head on the pour. Smell is very tart and funky. I had this right after drinking the Supplication and this is vastly more sour than the it. Perfect amount of carbonation. Very good citrusy, sour fruit flavors. Perfect amount of carbonation to go with the sourness. I very much prefer this to the Supplication. Highly recommend.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

I'm sorry this review will not be detailed. I sampled this at the GABF. You say oh dude, one ounce sample. NOT THE CASE. My gf had a glass too and I got a lot of samples and poured them on top of each other and let them warm. I had to review on my cell phone so I didn't get a whole fuck load of notes.

This beer has a crazy funkiness. Sort of like a belgian sour. Sort of citrusy undertones. I did not get the best notes on this beer, but I have to write these notes so that I am sure to have this beer again. My first wild ale. I love this.

This beer was superb, sorry I don't have more notes on the flavor characteristics, but I have to write what I have down so I don't forget that I must buy this by the case in california when I visit.

4.25/5  rDev -6.8%

C&C bottle served in a Deschutes tulip. Batch 5. Huge thanks again to Andrew (nasty31).

A: Pours with a light golden haze and frothy, airy white head. It recedes to a similar ring that leaves some splotches here and there.

S: Tartness and mild sourness. A mix of fresh tart fruit, mainly green apple and lemon grass with restrained funk.

T: Gueuze-ish with a slight restrained funk. Tart green apples, lemon grass, mild funk and some oak with a finish of vanilla sweetness that mixes with a little white grape sournes.

M: Zesty and spritzy. The body is light with a refreshing clean finish.

O: Delicious beer that borders on a gueuze IMO. If the funk wasn't so restrained in the backbround I'd say this wasn't a wild ale, but very good none the less.

4.33/5  rDev -5%

Bought these on-line from Russian River and was generously sent to me by 0110x011. I love Russian River and I especially love these sour wild ales. Drank from my Stone India Pale Ale tulip. Batch 002.

Appearance- Pours a light golden yellow with excellent clarity and a small bright white half finger head that quickly dissipates. The cap and collar are almost non-existent after a few minutes and not a trace of lacing is left.
Smell- Sour and tart with that delicious funk that I've come to love. The Brett has done its job on this one, the sharpest nose I've smelled other than Compunction. Lightly sour green apple, light melon and even some lemon zest are more than present. The oak hasn't seemed to affect the nose much although it is fairly pungent and might be hiding somewhere in the background.
Taste- Very tart and vinegary with a very puckering green apple bite right from the start. Plenty of citrus and lemon are the dominating tastes along with the Brett (obviously). The oak is very light and subtle but it is indeed present leaving a light vanilla that is noticeable after the sour fades. The funk is as subtle as the oak but still present. Musty and quenching through the finish with a lingering dirtiness that I don't enjoy as much as the rest of the beer.
Mouthfeel- Light and puckering with a very crisp bite and aggressive, champagne like carbonation.
Drinkability- Considering the sourness of this beer it's still amazing to me that something could be so tasty and drinkable. Although this one is (IMHO) "the least best" of the "new 3" batches of the aged Russian River brews, it's still really good. It's not as drinkable and nice as Temptation and not as unique and complex as Supplication but I suppose that's not the point. Big thanks to Matt for the help on these!

Beatification from Russian River Brewing Company