Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 3,036
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006

Sort by:  Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beatification Alström Bros
Ratings: 2,286 | Reviews: 523

This is my favorite sour that has ever touched my lips.

4.96/5  rDev +8.8%

One of the best beers I've had, without a doubt. Amazing how many different fruit and other aromas/flavors come out of this beer from the combination of bacteria and yeasts, without actually having any fruit. Pretty much every aspect of it was fantastic, down to the perfect mouth feel. It's not often outside of a big stout/barleywine that I say to myself "wow this beer has a great mouth feel!" but it was there, all right.

4.06/5  rDev -11%

A- Split the bottle with my love. Pours a murky, hazy yellow. Minimal foam builds with pouring and tiny ring of bubbles. Minimal lacing.

S- sour lactic, salt, lemon and a bit of funk.

T- Sour, lemon citrus, white grapes and herbal notes. Some oak-funk.

M- Light bodied, dry with moderate carbonation and fizz; smooth and balanced.
Well done! Among my top three wilds to date.

4.57/5  rDev +0.2%

Received as part of a trade with colonelforbin...thanks for the hook-up, Mike!

After a good night of Euchre and some beers, Kate and I stayed late to work on the Beatification. I give Kate some props for hanging late when she was faced with the FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) exam in a few hours. This should get her primed!

Poured into my Portsmouth snifter, the Beatification looks a hazy tawny yellow. Very cloudy with swirls of suspension sticking around. A small white head leaves quickly and places no head on the glass. A decent looking beer, but nothing exceptional.

Smells zesty. Some grassy, wet, slightly funky smell stands out. Maybe a bit of lemon with only a slight amount of funk. It's there, but the barnyard is in the background.

Tart. Very tart. One of the most tart wilds I've ever had. I remember trying the Temptation for the first time and thinking it was very tart. Well, tonight I had them back to back and the Beatification holds Temptation's head under the water. This is tart, gland hitting stuff. I really enjoy the taste / mouthfeel. It is light bodied and not highly carbonated, but I love the way it feels. Great stuff. I get the tart before I even let the beer drop down over my tongue...it's obvious. There is a bit more of the funky barnyardness in the taste as compared to the aroma, but definitely not overwhelming.

This is one of those weird beers. It's not going to rank as one of my tops on BA, but it is definitely one that I would prefer to drink above many that "rank" higher. I love the taste - again, it won't rank as high as something like Supplication, but it is something I would pick first. One of the best beers RR makes.

Consumed - 4/16/2010

4.67/5  rDev +2.4%

Batch 003. Poured into a goblet. Has a beautiful golden color with a slight haze. A fizzy white head forms and dissipates rather quickly.

Incredibly funky smell. Sour lemon and citrus, horsey funk and barnyard, acetic acid.

Very sour on the palate. Funky barnyard, lemon, and vinegar. Lots of prickly carbonation.

Great beer. This was worth the wait to try. Hopefully I can manage to stay away from my other bottle for a few years and let it age.

4.48/5  rDev -1.8%

A - Hazy straw color. No head.

S - Wet dog in a phone booth. Acidic presence with a hint of lemon rind.

T - Like biting into a whole lemon. Very sour and funky. Has a the complexity of a wine with fruit and straw notes. Dry oak finishes.

M - Acidicm body with light carbonation. Finishes very dry on the pallet.

O - Amazing. Perfect. Wish I had someone to share this with.

4.12/5  rDev -9.6%

Batch 3. Rather clear, golden colored beer with minimal head and retention. Carbonation is abundant. Bouquet has a mild funk and is dominated by hay and lemons. Can't wait to taste this one. Quite sour taste here induces some puckering, lemons and grapefruit hit you mid way and the sourness returns and lingers through the finish for quite some time. I prefer Consecreation and Temptation a bit more but this is still another great beer from RR which I'd recommend to anyone who enjoys the style.

4.32/5  rDev -5.3%

Batch #2 375ml bottle. A longtime want. A huge thanks to pittsburghkid66 for this one.

A: Poured into my Russian River "tion" glass. Pours a bright yellow/orange color. Very little head and no lacing whatsoever.

S: A strong aroma, consisting of green apples, lemons and brett funk. You can tell this is going to be pretty sour, just from the nose alone.

T:One of the most complex "sours" that I've ever tried. It's a real lemon bomb up front though. That follows up with a strong tart apple flavor. Along with some hints of barnyard funk and a slight mustiness. There are a lot of flavors going on here that my palate simply has trouble picking out.

M: Very smooth, and very dry. It could probably use a touch more carbonation for my taste.

D: I'm very grateful to have had the opportunity to try this beer. I will certainly be looking to get more when the next batch is released. But this is some pretty strong stuff, flavor wise. One glass in a sitting was more than enough for me.

4.44/5  rDev -2.6%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is not screwing around. Poured from the bottle into my Bruery tulip.

Clear, bright, golden blonde pour. Seems light in body. The snow-white head fizzes up but terminates almost immediately. A vigorous swirl brings the bubbles back, but only for a few instants. It's only average-looking as far as American Wilds go, but I have a feeling things are going to get better.

And they do. This slaps you in the face with buggy funk. Lemons, a hint of grapefruit citrus, oak, white wine (chardonnay? I dunno, I'm not a oenophile). Very nice.

Taste follows the nose pretty readily, although the citrus component seems to get drowned out in the intense sourness and lemon flavors. Damn, this is really sour. I love it.

Mouthfeel is good. Medium-bodied, ample carbonation is a little harsh (but only a little). Sharp, dry (dryyy) finish.

Drinkability is excellent for the style. I cannot give it a perfect score simply because the sourness is so intense that drinking a lot of it would probably grow taxing, but my 375ml bottle went down without a fight.

Russian River has my undying respect. I cannot get over how unfreakingbelievable their sours are. Also have a signature to them, which I enjoy - I feel like a new RR sour could come out tomorrow and you could blindfold me, stick it under my nose, and I would recognize it immediately.

4.25/5  rDev -6.8%

My roomate shared the bottled I gave him for his Birthday. Poured the 750ml into 2 identical Bruery Tulip Glasses

A - bright hazy orange. A light white thin head grabs the edge of the glass. Dissipates quickly, as I wish the head would retain.

S - Starts funky with the smell of bready brett, and some sour fruit notes hit the nasal area. Smell of citrus pleases me as a beer drinker as the aroma fades....

T - Where to start? The very first taste is a sour bite. It grabs your cheeks and forces them inward. The puckering sourness of this beer is so good. Right after that, the funk kicks in and dies down the pucking sour. Tastes of spices from the funk come in. After the funk, the taste of sour lemon is left behind. It is like eating the peel. A very overpowing combination of citrus and sour.

M - Dry. Hits your mouth and leaves. This is how a sour should behave. It is not sweet and clinging. It hits the mouth, and leaves behind the puckering effects of the sour. Damn good.

D - This beer is drinkable for how sour it is. It is not an unpleasing sour, and allows for the drinker to desire more. I would not have more than 1 glass of this though, but I still love the one I am having!

Batch #2

Poured into a generic Tulip

A-Deep gold. Brilliantly clear. Low eggshell head.

S-Straw, horseblanket. A ton of barnyard funkyness. Old oak. Like the best lambic. This beer reminds me of the barrel room at cantilion.

T-FUNK!!! Super sour. Mouthpuckeringly so. Some old wood but not too much. Some bile... in a good way. More barnyard. Nothing in the way of hops.

M-Pretty dry. Enough carbonation to keep it lively but much less then your average american beer. No alcohol noticable.

D- I could do this all night. Super sour though so if you're not into that then you might have a problem. ISO:

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%

Tasted towards the end of the Tampa BA gathering 5/3/08 - what a wonderful way to cleanse the palate from an afternoon of good beer...

Pours a cloudly yellow with a small head that drops quickly. Aroma is of sourness, sour fruit, dirty diaper, even light ammonia. Flavor offers a very sour but complex profile - hard to seperate it from mouthfeel. Elements of grapefuit and lemon show among the funk. Tart, acidic, cleansing, but flavorful.

Overall, an excellent sour ale, a must-try for those who really like this style. Not something I'd want to drink everyday but it offers a textbook example of the unique complexity to be had form these barrel-aged sour beers.

4.68/5  rDev +2.6%

Thanks to Deepsouth! No seriously, great trade!!!

Hazy orange-straw colored with a cardboard thin head that fades completely.

Farm fresh funk with a oaky nose normally found in cabernets. Smells much like a gueze but more earthy.

OMG->Tart and sour like a sour patch kid but with an underlining sweetness. There is a hint of fruit somewhere in here but I can't place it. Damn this is good!

Sour with a carbonated dry finish that leaves the palate begging for more!

This is one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had! I wish I had a case of this stuff. I'd spend the weekend taunting my friends with it.

Russian River knows how to sour a beer just right! A+

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Batch 003. I didn't know what to expect going into this experience, but this definitely blew me away on all fronts. Good Lord, what an eye-opener. Pours a hazy orange and very murky champagne-esque consistency. Nice two-finger head quickly dissipates leaving an intriguing beer. Dare I venture any closer?

As soon as the cork was popped the bretts and wildness of this beer jumped out at me. I absolutely love this smell - acidic, vinegary, EXTREMELY green apples freshly cut, and yes, now I know what the hell "horse-blanket" means. Man, I'm terrified in the most wonderful wonderful way.

First taste - grapefruit, lemon, citrus, citrus, citrus. Extremely tart and acidic. But something happens at the end - something very earthy. If you can imagine eating dirt as a good experience, then that's what it tastes like. These beer tastes like it's been around since the beginning of brewing. I really love it.

I am very happy that I got a chance to try this. I would love to see what it's like on tap. Right now I must say thanks and give credit to Healthy Spirits in SF for having the only bottle in the whole area (I looked) at the time that I was visiting.

This whole experience reminded me of the first time that I was in Toronado SF and someone handed the bartender a tulip of sour beer. It may have been Beatification, and, upon drinking it, he made the face that people in middle school used to make when eating sour "Warheads." Afterwards, he put the glass down and said, "That's my favorite beer." I think I understand that experience a little better now.

4.31/5  rDev -5.5%

Part III of epic RR tasting including Tempt, Sancti, Beati, Suppl, and Consec. Thanks to glazeman for contributing this one, as well as the other two rarities in the bunch. Since I first signed up for BeerAdvocate, Beatification has been on my radar. I've been waiting for this one for a long time.

The appearance is a thick, murky, orange with no head. It doesn't look pretty, but in all honesty it reminds me of Raspberry Eisbock - flat, thick, and old looking. The smell is about as interesting as it gets for any beer - the most complex and outright strange beer I've ever smelled - I get musty basement, barn, horse, smelly feet, aged white cheddar, energy drink (such as Monster or Red Bull), with a touch of lemon and white grapes in the finish. Wow. The taste is SOUR. The most sour beer I've ever had - the sourness hurts my epiglottis, puckers my posterior pharynx, makes my face warm, and causes me to tear up. The drinkability on this beer is almost zero, but the taste and smell of it is so unique that this beer truly does live up to the hype. This is the best beer I've had tonight thus far. As someone who loves midwestern stouts and IPAs, I've always been a big basher of west coat sours. However, Beatification is as good as it gets. Touche.

4.37/5  rDev -4.2%

poured from a bottle into a RR tulip.

A - golden and dense, a bit like honey. a bit of bubbles form at the top once it's poured but there is really not much of a head to speak of.

S - lots of vinegar and oak.

T - not as sour as i expected, but it's got a wonderful flavor. the brett is predominant and you can definitely taste the oak. not much in the way of fruit in this one, but you can taste some of the alcohol at the end.

M - champagne-like tight carbonation.

D - a very nice beer to enjoy, one bottle at a time. i really like this stuff.

4.19/5  rDev -8.1%

Pours golden with no head at all. A little cloudy. Smell is earthy and finishes sour. Tastes like tart cherries and maybe even some lemon in the finish. Does not taste as earthy as it smells. Drinkablity is only hurt by the acidic feel as it enters the stomach.

4.72/5  rDev +3.5%

Thanks to MrFootStones for this bottle. Made me happy plus 2 others.

Batch 3

poured into goblet

Color: Golden to blonde with a few orange highlights. A thin white bubbly head appears but quickly reduces to a white ring around the glass. Leaves behind some head retention, but no lace.

Nose: Extreme and complex. Sourness, barnyard textures, funk, lemon scent, and mellow grassy notes.

Palate: Like heaven on the tongue. Extremely drinkable for how sour it is. The carbonation is perfect, no trace of alcohol and its tingles your taste buds. As this beer sits in your mouth waves of sour lemon and oak coat the tongue , later the grassy notes appear in soft gentle way. Truly well crafted.

Finish: Long and dry with plenty of layers. Tart and funky, sour and lightly fruity, and yea very drinkable till the last drop. A masterful sour!

Rating: 97/100

4.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to my friends Dan & Joelle (Dewbrewer) for sharing this one. Batch 001. 375 ml. Bottle.
Pours a murky light orange color with a small white head and slippery lacing.

Floral, citrus/fruit, and sour in the nose.

Great balance between malt, wood, and brettanomyces sour/barn yard flavors. Acidic and creamy at the same time.

A beer that is beer well done.

4.55/5  rDev -0.2%

Had the most recent bottling

A- golden full of carbonation.

S- this is going to be sour, you know what to expect when you smell this brew.

T- just as suspected pucker up this is sour, but also great, this is my favorite of all RR barrel sours.

M- very carbonated and full of long lasting flavor, atomic warhead sour!!

D- ok, it is very sour and i can see why some of the reviews say it is too sour but i feel this is exactly what it is suposed to be, a sour wild ale, this ids the style, great brew

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Batch 3 consumed 4-30-11, Thanks to the ever generous darklordlager.

I am going to break from my usual review format for this unusual beer.

The aroma hits very sour with a healthy dose of strong funk, it is really a lot to take in, but given some time you can peel back the layers and start to pick out some grapefruit and some very light grain. I was getting a little bit of vinegar quality, but it was overwhelmingly lactic with that dirty sour that I find to have a little more depth. The flavor is much the same, but the acidity steps up a notch again. I found it to be less fruity than Belgian examples I have had, but there was still a little grapefruit. Again, primarily I was getting dirty musty funk and really very sharp acids. The longer I sipped the deeper it got, I started to get more summery fruits and the finish even got slightly peppery. The feel was so acidic little cuts on my lip started to sting, very dry and very carbonated. I want to be careful about comparing this beer to Lambic, but the similarities are there and voiced by the brewer, and it really does live up. Given the opportunity I would pick this over several imported varieties.

I think the beauty of this beer is really in the details. Tasting a Lambic style beer known to be fermented and conditioned with yeast and bacteria native to a region other than the Senne valley that is so complex and delicious is inspiring. The impact of this beer is an illustration that although a true Lambic cannot be produced elsewhere, a complex, balanced, and truly interesting top shelf product can be made in other regions, and shows the true potential of the American Wild movement. I believe that an increased interest in this beer could be a key contributor to the increased legitimacy of beer as a gourmet product. Nice work Russian River, keep doing more of the same.

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pour is a merky golden, little to no laceing.

Nose is sweet little citrus/floral with frut like pineapple, tart apple and bananna- also has a light perfect farmyness.

Taste is sour and tart, strong lemon, with a light airy body that washes clean quickly.

Drinkabiliy is superb, I'm now a big fan! I love sours / wilds and this one is great!!

4.32/5  rDev -5.3%

Split a 375ml bottle of Batch 002 with Mrs. ThirdLap tonight. Wild ales have become her favorite style in recent months, and because of this I've been able to try all sorts of new beers. Never thought in a million years that she would have turned ME on to a style.

Beatification pours a clear yellow, reminiscent of sparkling apple cider. No head after a vigorous pour, and bubbling subsides after a few minutes. Even gentle pouring resulted in the second glass having a large amount of sediment in it, resulting in a cloudier appearance.

Smell is best described as a tart citrus funk.

The taste is obviously very sour, and the closest experience I can compare it to is the initial overwhelming acidic blast you get when you stick a slice of lemon into your mouth. Complementing the citrus are hints of white wine and tart cherries. Every sip results in a huge mouth-watering response by the taste buds.

Body is right in the middle, and the finish is incredibly crisp and clean. Carbonation in this batch is low to medium. The 5% alcohol is nearly imperceptible.

Drinkability is excellent.

Very tasty. No one does sours like Russian River.

4.52/5  rDev -0.9%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle, batch 002. Clear piss yellow pour with a hint of white head. Enticing lemon zest and funk aromas. Tart, crisp, and clean with all kinds of lemon zest, sour vinous & grapefruit, barnyard, and funk notes. Absolutely freakin’ delicious...

3.98/5  rDev -12.7%

Batch 002 at the RR taproom.

A: Very cloudy, yellow/straw color. Small ring of small bubbles. Not much head there.

S: Not much aroma surprisingly. There's some funk/acidity and some apple aromas. Also some funky spicy and "barnyard" brett character.

T: Heavy on the Brettanomyces/wild yeast. It's sour for sure. There is some malt in the background and there seems to be some hop bitterness. Bitterness could also be some slight spicy yeast character. Interesting. I like it.

M: Dry, lively. Great carbonation for the beer.

D: Very drinkable for the style I suppose. I'm not sure I'd have two, but it is refreshing. It's not as clean as many lambics, but it tastes good.

Beatification from Russian River Brewing Company