Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006

Reviews: 516 | Hads: 2,310
4.48/5  rDev +0.9%

A - Hazy straw color. No head.

S - Wet dog in a phone booth. Acidic presence with a hint of lemon rind.

T - Like biting into a whole lemon. Very sour and funky. Has a the complexity of a wine with fruit and straw notes. Dry oak finishes.

M - Acidicm body with light carbonation. Finishes very dry on the pallet.

O - Amazing. Perfect. Wish I had someone to share this with. (380 characters)

4.12/5  rDev -7.2%

Batch 3. Rather clear, golden colored beer with minimal head and retention. Carbonation is abundant. Bouquet has a mild funk and is dominated by hay and lemons. Can't wait to taste this one. Quite sour taste here induces some puckering, lemons and grapefruit hit you mid way and the sourness returns and lingers through the finish for quite some time. I prefer Consecreation and Temptation a bit more but this is still another great beer from RR which I'd recommend to anyone who enjoys the style. (497 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -2.7%

Batch #2 375ml bottle. A longtime want. A huge thanks to pittsburghkid66 for this one.

A: Poured into my Russian River "tion" glass. Pours a bright yellow/orange color. Very little head and no lacing whatsoever.

S: A strong aroma, consisting of green apples, lemons and brett funk. You can tell this is going to be pretty sour, just from the nose alone.

T:One of the most complex "sours" that I've ever tried. It's a real lemon bomb up front though. That follows up with a strong tart apple flavor. Along with some hints of barnyard funk and a slight mustiness. There are a lot of flavors going on here that my palate simply has trouble picking out.

M: Very smooth, and very dry. It could probably use a touch more carbonation for my taste.

D: I'm very grateful to have had the opportunity to try this beer. I will certainly be looking to get more when the next batch is released. But this is some pretty strong stuff, flavor wise. One glass in a sitting was more than enough for me. (988 characters)

4.44/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

This beer is not screwing around. Poured from the bottle into my Bruery tulip.

Clear, bright, golden blonde pour. Seems light in body. The snow-white head fizzes up but terminates almost immediately. A vigorous swirl brings the bubbles back, but only for a few instants. It's only average-looking as far as American Wilds go, but I have a feeling things are going to get better.

And they do. This slaps you in the face with buggy funk. Lemons, a hint of grapefruit citrus, oak, white wine (chardonnay? I dunno, I'm not a oenophile). Very nice.

Taste follows the nose pretty readily, although the citrus component seems to get drowned out in the intense sourness and lemon flavors. Damn, this is really sour. I love it.

Mouthfeel is good. Medium-bodied, ample carbonation is a little harsh (but only a little). Sharp, dry (dryyy) finish.

Drinkability is excellent for the style. I cannot give it a perfect score simply because the sourness is so intense that drinking a lot of it would probably grow taxing, but my 375ml bottle went down without a fight.

Russian River has my undying respect. I cannot get over how unfreakingbelievable their sours are. Also have a signature to them, which I enjoy - I feel like a new RR sour could come out tomorrow and you could blindfold me, stick it under my nose, and I would recognize it immediately. (1,346 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -4.3%

My roomate shared the bottled I gave him for his Birthday. Poured the 750ml into 2 identical Bruery Tulip Glasses

A - bright hazy orange. A light white thin head grabs the edge of the glass. Dissipates quickly, as I wish the head would retain.

S - Starts funky with the smell of bready brett, and some sour fruit notes hit the nasal area. Smell of citrus pleases me as a beer drinker as the aroma fades....

T - Where to start? The very first taste is a sour bite. It grabs your cheeks and forces them inward. The puckering sourness of this beer is so good. Right after that, the funk kicks in and dies down the pucking sour. Tastes of spices from the funk come in. After the funk, the taste of sour lemon is left behind. It is like eating the peel. A very overpowing combination of citrus and sour.

M - Dry. Hits your mouth and leaves. This is how a sour should behave. It is not sweet and clinging. It hits the mouth, and leaves behind the puckering effects of the sour. Damn good.

D - This beer is drinkable for how sour it is. It is not an unpleasing sour, and allows for the drinker to desire more. I would not have more than 1 glass of this though, but I still love the one I am having! (1,196 characters)

Batch #2

Poured into a generic Tulip

A-Deep gold. Brilliantly clear. Low eggshell head.

S-Straw, horseblanket. A ton of barnyard funkyness. Old oak. Like the best lambic. This beer reminds me of the barrel room at cantilion.

T-FUNK!!! Super sour. Mouthpuckeringly so. Some old wood but not too much. Some bile... in a good way. More barnyard. Nothing in the way of hops.

M-Pretty dry. Enough carbonation to keep it lively but much less then your average american beer. No alcohol noticable.

D- I could do this all night. Super sour though so if you're not into that then you might have a problem. ISO: (611 characters)

4.3/5  rDev -3.2%

Tasted towards the end of the Tampa BA gathering 5/3/08 - what a wonderful way to cleanse the palate from an afternoon of good beer...

Pours a cloudly yellow with a small head that drops quickly. Aroma is of sourness, sour fruit, dirty diaper, even light ammonia. Flavor offers a very sour but complex profile - hard to seperate it from mouthfeel. Elements of grapefuit and lemon show among the funk. Tart, acidic, cleansing, but flavorful.

Overall, an excellent sour ale, a must-try for those who really like this style. Not something I'd want to drink everyday but it offers a textbook example of the unique complexity to be had form these barrel-aged sour beers. (667 characters)

4.68/5  rDev +5.4%

Thanks to Deepsouth! No seriously, great trade!!!

Hazy orange-straw colored with a cardboard thin head that fades completely.

Farm fresh funk with a oaky nose normally found in cabernets. Smells much like a gueze but more earthy.

OMG->Tart and sour like a sour patch kid but with an underlining sweetness. There is a hint of fruit somewhere in here but I can't place it. Damn this is good!

Sour with a carbonated dry finish that leaves the palate begging for more!

This is one of the most drinkable beers I've ever had! I wish I had a case of this stuff. I'd spend the weekend taunting my friends with it.

Russian River knows how to sour a beer just right! A+ (669 characters)

4.42/5  rDev -0.5%

Batch 003. I didn't know what to expect going into this experience, but this definitely blew me away on all fronts. Good Lord, what an eye-opener. Pours a hazy orange and very murky champagne-esque consistency. Nice two-finger head quickly dissipates leaving an intriguing beer. Dare I venture any closer?

As soon as the cork was popped the bretts and wildness of this beer jumped out at me. I absolutely love this smell - acidic, vinegary, EXTREMELY green apples freshly cut, and yes, now I know what the hell "horse-blanket" means. Man, I'm terrified in the most wonderful wonderful way.

First taste - grapefruit, lemon, citrus, citrus, citrus. Extremely tart and acidic. But something happens at the end - something very earthy. If you can imagine eating dirt as a good experience, then that's what it tastes like. These beer tastes like it's been around since the beginning of brewing. I really love it.

I am very happy that I got a chance to try this. I would love to see what it's like on tap. Right now I must say thanks and give credit to Healthy Spirits in SF for having the only bottle in the whole area (I looked) at the time that I was visiting.

This whole experience reminded me of the first time that I was in Toronado SF and someone handed the bartender a tulip of sour beer. It may have been Beatification, and, upon drinking it, he made the face that people in middle school used to make when eating sour "Warheads." Afterwards, he put the glass down and said, "That's my favorite beer." I think I understand that experience a little better now. (1,569 characters)

4.31/5  rDev -2.9%

Part III of epic RR tasting including Tempt, Sancti, Beati, Suppl, and Consec. Thanks to glazeman for contributing this one, as well as the other two rarities in the bunch. Since I first signed up for BeerAdvocate, Beatification has been on my radar. I've been waiting for this one for a long time.

The appearance is a thick, murky, orange with no head. It doesn't look pretty, but in all honesty it reminds me of Raspberry Eisbock - flat, thick, and old looking. The smell is about as interesting as it gets for any beer - the most complex and outright strange beer I've ever smelled - I get musty basement, barn, horse, smelly feet, aged white cheddar, energy drink (such as Monster or Red Bull), with a touch of lemon and white grapes in the finish. Wow. The taste is SOUR. The most sour beer I've ever had - the sourness hurts my epiglottis, puckers my posterior pharynx, makes my face warm, and causes me to tear up. The drinkability on this beer is almost zero, but the taste and smell of it is so unique that this beer truly does live up to the hype. This is the best beer I've had tonight thus far. As someone who loves midwestern stouts and IPAs, I've always been a big basher of west coat sours. However, Beatification is as good as it gets. Touche. (1,261 characters)

4.37/5  rDev -1.6%

poured from a bottle into a RR tulip.

A - golden and dense, a bit like honey. a bit of bubbles form at the top once it's poured but there is really not much of a head to speak of.

S - lots of vinegar and oak.

T - not as sour as i expected, but it's got a wonderful flavor. the brett is predominant and you can definitely taste the oak. not much in the way of fruit in this one, but you can taste some of the alcohol at the end.

M - champagne-like tight carbonation.

D - a very nice beer to enjoy, one bottle at a time. i really like this stuff. (550 characters)

4.19/5  rDev -5.6%

Pours golden with no head at all. A little cloudy. Smell is earthy and finishes sour. Tastes like tart cherries and maybe even some lemon in the finish. Does not taste as earthy as it smells. Drinkablity is only hurt by the acidic feel as it enters the stomach. (261 characters)

4.7/5  rDev +5.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Thanks to my friends Dan & Joelle (Dewbrewer) for sharing this one. Batch 001. 375 ml. Bottle.
Pours a murky light orange color with a small white head and slippery lacing.

Floral, citrus/fruit, and sour in the nose.

Great balance between malt, wood, and brettanomyces sour/barn yard flavors. Acidic and creamy at the same time.

A beer that is beer well done. (366 characters)

4.55/5  rDev +2.5%

Had the most recent bottling

A- golden full of carbonation.

S- this is going to be sour, you know what to expect when you smell this brew.

T- just as suspected pucker up this is sour, but also great, this is my favorite of all RR barrel sours.

M- very carbonated and full of long lasting flavor, atomic warhead sour!!

D- ok, it is very sour and i can see why some of the reviews say it is too sour but i feel this is exactly what it is suposed to be, a sour wild ale, this ids the style, great brew (504 characters)

4.72/5  rDev +6.3%

Thanks to MrFootStones for this bottle. Made me happy plus 2 others.

Batch 3

poured into goblet

Color: Golden to blonde with a few orange highlights. A thin white bubbly head appears but quickly reduces to a white ring around the glass. Leaves behind some head retention, but no lace.

Nose: Extreme and complex. Sourness, barnyard textures, funk, lemon scent, and mellow grassy notes.

Palate: Like heaven on the tongue. Extremely drinkable for how sour it is. The carbonation is perfect, no trace of alcohol and its tingles your taste buds. As this beer sits in your mouth waves of sour lemon and oak coat the tongue , later the grassy notes appear in soft gentle way. Truly well crafted.

Finish: Long and dry with plenty of layers. Tart and funky, sour and lightly fruity, and yea very drinkable till the last drop. A masterful sour!

Rating: 97/100 (856 characters)

4.85/5  rDev +9.2%

Batch 3 consumed 4-30-11, Thanks to the ever generous darklordlager.

I am going to break from my usual review format for this unusual beer.

The aroma hits very sour with a healthy dose of strong funk, it is really a lot to take in, but given some time you can peel back the layers and start to pick out some grapefruit and some very light grain. I was getting a little bit of vinegar quality, but it was overwhelmingly lactic with that dirty sour that I find to have a little more depth. The flavor is much the same, but the acidity steps up a notch again. I found it to be less fruity than Belgian examples I have had, but there was still a little grapefruit. Again, primarily I was getting dirty musty funk and really very sharp acids. The longer I sipped the deeper it got, I started to get more summery fruits and the finish even got slightly peppery. The feel was so acidic little cuts on my lip started to sting, very dry and very carbonated. I want to be careful about comparing this beer to Lambic, but the similarities are there and voiced by the brewer, and it really does live up. Given the opportunity I would pick this over several imported varieties.

I think the beauty of this beer is really in the details. Tasting a Lambic style beer known to be fermented and conditioned with yeast and bacteria native to a region other than the Senne valley that is so complex and delicious is inspiring. The impact of this beer is an illustration that although a true Lambic cannot be produced elsewhere, a complex, balanced, and truly interesting top shelf product can be made in other regions, and shows the true potential of the American Wild movement. I believe that an increased interest in this beer could be a key contributor to the increased legitimacy of beer as a gourmet product. Nice work Russian River, keep doing more of the same. (1,852 characters)

4.6/5  rDev +3.6%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

Pour is a merky golden, little to no laceing.

Nose is sweet little citrus/floral with frut like pineapple, tart apple and bananna- also has a light perfect farmyness.

Taste is sour and tart, strong lemon, with a light airy body that washes clean quickly.

Drinkabiliy is superb, I'm now a big fan! I love sours / wilds and this one is great!! (347 characters)

4.32/5  rDev -2.7%

Split a 375ml bottle of Batch 002 with Mrs. ThirdLap tonight. Wild ales have become her favorite style in recent months, and because of this I've been able to try all sorts of new beers. Never thought in a million years that she would have turned ME on to a style.

Beatification pours a clear yellow, reminiscent of sparkling apple cider. No head after a vigorous pour, and bubbling subsides after a few minutes. Even gentle pouring resulted in the second glass having a large amount of sediment in it, resulting in a cloudier appearance.

Smell is best described as a tart citrus funk.

The taste is obviously very sour, and the closest experience I can compare it to is the initial overwhelming acidic blast you get when you stick a slice of lemon into your mouth. Complementing the citrus are hints of white wine and tart cherries. Every sip results in a huge mouth-watering response by the taste buds.

Body is right in the middle, and the finish is incredibly crisp and clean. Carbonation in this batch is low to medium. The 5% alcohol is nearly imperceptible.

Drinkability is excellent.

Very tasty. No one does sours like Russian River. (1,146 characters)

4.52/5  rDev +1.8%
look: 3.75 | smell: 4.25 | taste: 4.75 | feel: 4.75 | overall: 4.5

Bottle, batch 002. Clear piss yellow pour with a hint of white head. Enticing lemon zest and funk aromas. Tart, crisp, and clean with all kinds of lemon zest, sour vinous & grapefruit, barnyard, and funk notes. Absolutely freakin’ delicious... (245 characters)

3.98/5  rDev -10.4%

Batch 002 at the RR taproom.

A: Very cloudy, yellow/straw color. Small ring of small bubbles. Not much head there.

S: Not much aroma surprisingly. There's some funk/acidity and some apple aromas. Also some funky spicy and "barnyard" brett character.

T: Heavy on the Brettanomyces/wild yeast. It's sour for sure. There is some malt in the background and there seems to be some hop bitterness. Bitterness could also be some slight spicy yeast character. Interesting. I like it.

M: Dry, lively. Great carbonation for the beer.

D: Very drinkable for the style I suppose. I'm not sure I'd have two, but it is refreshing. It's not as clean as many lambics, but it tastes good. (675 characters)

4.67/5  rDev +5.2%

well, its been a long time since i've written a review, but as i'm sitting here with a snifter full of warming beatification, i thought i'd give it a shot. let's see if i remember how to do this...

i got this bottle, along with temptation and supplication, from the recent RRB release, and i've got to say that this is the funkiest, sourest, most surprising beer i've had in a long time. to be honest, i thought i had a bad bottle for a moment - the cork barely popped and didn't look like it had expanded in the bottle very much. upon pouring the light-apple-cider colored liquid into my snifter, i didn't see much of a lasting head and i got the decidedly odd smell of, well, animal sweat. i don't really know how else to describe it, except maybe as the rind of a cheese that the french would call "fromage qui pue." tasting this beer at fridge temperature was also very, very weird. almost painfully like vinegar. my eyes watered a bit. but how can this be the famed beatification? is it infected? well, of course its infected, it says so on the bottle! so i let it sit in my hand for a bit, the snifter resting at an angle in my palm, allowing the beer to warm. and warm it did! now i get so much more off the nose - sour cherry, almost kumquat, a bunch of lemon rind, and a dash of white pepper. the taste has also developed much - also kumquats, brett funk, citric acid, and just a touch of the original malt sweetness that has been feasted upon by tons of little "bugs and critters." cool! the mouthfeel is perfectly round in the first sip and slowly astringent in the finish, leaving me with a mild woodiness before the taste disappears. wonderful.

i've left the yeast/critters in the bottle, but plan on drinking that soon. excuse me if i cut out now - i'd like to savor the last few sips of my original pour before i dump in the haziness. (1,851 characters)

4.76/5  rDev +7.2%

I tasted both the 001 and the PH1 side by side to see how they matched up together. The differences are subtle but they are there. If you were to taste them a couple weeks apart, you probably wouldn't be able to decipher any differences though.

Pours a nice golden color. A distinct murkiness to it. Beautiful white head on it that never goes away.

Not to much on the nose. Definitely get the tartness and the carbonation. Smells of oak and fruitiness.

Incredible tasting beer. Of course the tartness hits you first. But not overpowering. I've had a hand few sour beers, and the tartness on this one was by far the most balanced. Not like the Cuvee Rene that your puckering for 10 minutes after you drink it. Oak flavoring, but not to powerful either. A slight taste of cherries too.

PH1
Of course many similarities between the two. The major differences though, are it pours slightly darker than the 001. Side by side, you can tell. The PH1 seems to have more initial carbonation, but does not keep the head retention of the 001. Not much difference in the nose between the two. The PH1 has a more profound tartness to it. Stays on the tongue much longer than the 001. A longer, more sourer, aftertaste.

I may be in the minority on this, but I preferred the 001 over the PH1. They are both absolutely amazing beers, and I do enjoy sour beers. I just preferred the fact that sourness dissipated on the tongue quicker on the 001 than the PH1, allowing you to pull the other amazing flavors from the beer. I've had a pretty wide selection of Russian River beers, and besides the Pliny's, this has been by far my favorite to come from them. You'd do well to try and get some of these. (1,702 characters)

3.92/5  rDev -11.7%

Bottle from a trade with RblWthACoz.

a - cloudy gold, fading/thin head.

s - very similar to Cantillion (I don't have a *ton* of experience tasting sours). Lots of sour, yum. Not as much sulphur as Cantillion.

t - Starts out very sour and then fades away into watery. Like Cantillion diluted with maybe 20% water. Nice, agreeable sour flavors, but not blow-me-away sour.

m - Easy, not too puckering

d - pretty high. Really good pLambic. Would probably age well for 1-2 yrs?

I prefer the Cantillion, but this was delicious. I'm a little proud of the fact that it was made in the US!

MORE MORE MORE MORE!! Who is going to start putting out large volumes of American Sour so I can buy cases?! (697 characters)

4.25/5  rDev -4.3%

Finally got around to drinking my bottle of batch #2 tonight. Poured the dregs into a sour beer I'm currently fermenting, maybe it'll add something positive to the mix.

Poured a very clear orange color with zero head and not a ton of carbonation. Enough, but I expected it to be more carbed.

Smell is pure tart grapefruit and funk. Pretty damn funked up.

Taste is basically the same, super funky, sour grapefruit and some tropical fruit flavors mixing into the lactic bite.

Light in body, and incredibly easy to drink for a spontaneously fermented beer. The lambics I've had previously are usually so puckering they take some work. This is clean, delicious sour beer. Did I just say clean? I mean filthy. (708 characters)

4.48/5  rDev +0.9%

A very interesting beer. Poured from a 375ml for a buddies birthday last night. The color was golden amber, good carbonation, the right amount of head (a lot less than some temptations I've popped which seem to have too much carbonation and have to settle).

The taste was strange. Sour, funky, but delicious. Every sip got better. I passed the glass around and the general consensus was highly recommended. (407 characters)

Beatification from Russian River Brewing Company