Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

BeatificationBeatification

Wants: 2,657
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beatification Alström Bros
CaptinRedBeard

4.33/5  rDev -5%

Batch #2 375ml bottle. A longtime want. A huge thanks to pittsburghkid66 for this one.

A: Poured into my Russian River "tion" glass. Pours a bright yellow/orange color. Very little head and no lacing whatsoever.

S: A strong aroma, consisting of green apples, lemons and brett funk. You can tell this is going to be pretty sour, just from the nose alone.

T:One of the most complex "sours" that I've ever tried. It's a real lemon bomb up front though. That follows up with a strong tart apple flavor. Along with some hints of barnyard funk and a slight mustiness. There are a lot of flavors going on here that my palate simply has trouble picking out.

M: Very smooth, and very dry. It could probably use a touch more carbonation for my taste.

D: I'm very grateful to have had the opportunity to try this beer. I will certainly be looking to get more when the next batch is released. But this is some pretty strong stuff, flavor wise. One glass in a sitting was more than enough for me.

11-09-2010 15:59:38 | More by CaptinRedBeard
klikger

Wisconsin

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Review #200
375ml Batch 2 served in a tulip glass - thanks again for sharing, CaseyK!

A - Light gold and cloudy, hardly any head or lacing

S - Massive amounts of sour yeasts/bacteria, lot of lemon peel - I can't wait to dive into this!

T - Intensely sour from sip one, this is acidic, yeasty, and pungent --> barnyard funk, lemon juice, and brett --> intensely sour lemon and bacterial flavor on the finish, and this lingers for minutes

M - Good cabonation, acidic, lively, amazing

D - I'd drink all of this that I could - very drinkable for how mouth-puckeringly sour it is.

All in all, I'm amazed - what a beer! I love RR's regular sour offerings, but this takes the cake - only Sanctification comes close to the levels of funkiness in this. I hope to try every batch of this, but I'll always remember #2 fondly...

11-06-2010 14:36:48 | More by klikger
beerwolf77

Wisconsin

4.25/5  rDev -6.8%

Huge thanks to translucent for busting this bad boy out at our tasting. Poured into my tasting glass.

A: Golden yellow hue. Small white head. Soapy lace.

S: Nice brett filled funkiness. Lemons, straw, wet books. A modest bit of sweetness.

T: Lots of brett in the flavor. Funky lactic sourness. Mouth puckering good time.

M: medium to light body. Solid carbonation.

D: Overall a nice wild. Glad I got the chance to tick this bad boy.

11-02-2010 02:00:10 | More by beerwolf77
Stigs

4.8/5  rDev +5.3%

batch 2 - served in a small tulip/snifter hybrid. sent to me very generously by BA'er JRSD whom I met through my awesome Brother-in-Law. has been a huge want of mine for a long time. this one goes out to Jim, Mike, and Amy.

A - cork pulls out a bit easily with a subtle "pop". pour yeilds just a quick flash of loose white bubbles that vanish within a minute. left behind is a very thin white film and a few bubbles around the sides of the glass. the last few seconds or so brings some yeasty dregs into the glass. otherwise, the beer is clear, solid gold in color.

S - big and bright sourness, equally tart. some bits of grains, hay, yeasty funk, and basement must. nothing overpowers another, and balances wonderfully. flashes of lemon, sour green apples, and oaky vanilla sweetness creep in as it warms.

T - puckeringly sour, incredibly hidden from the nose. bright and acidic, vinegary, tart yet fruity, metallic in the right spots. this one is going to take awhile to decipher. funk flashes in and out alongside sweet vanilla and oak, and then the next sip brings in fresh grasses and fields. lemony sweetness abounds with crisp freshly picked granny smith apples. could go on and on here but i'm just going to stop and enjoy this. one of those outsanding and rare beers that can be directed to different areas of the mouth and tongue to yield different results. yummm - if I could give it a 5.5 I would.

M - medium body, with carbonation that at this point is just barely noticeable. somehow, this works wonderfully. so puckering and sour it almost makes the nose run and the glands in your mouth and throat go into overdrive out of fear.

D - a hardcore sipper: partially to blame is its incredible sourness, deliciousness, and complexity. one of those beers that just amazes me that naturally occurring things can cause flavors like this all on their own. sours/wilds really propelled me to the next level in beer advocacy and this point is one of its peaks. im running out of creative and artistic ways to describe this. simply amazing.

10-31-2010 06:15:29 | More by Stigs
berley31

New Brunswick (Canada)

4.55/5  rDev -0.2%

A: Poured with a small, white head that faded to a thin film. Body is a dark yellow/golden color that appears a bit hazy.

S: Wow. I can smell this beer from 3-4 feet away, and that's not exaggerating. Very strong, musty, funky aroma that seems to grow more complex with each whiff. Amazing.

T: And then you drink it. This may be one of the most complex, interesting beers I've ever had. I have little experience with this style, but the flavor is extremely tart and sour, funky, acidic, dry finish... just, wow.

M: Medium-light bodied, moderate-high carbonation.

D: A new experience with beer for me. Definitely opened up my eyes even further. Just when I think beer can't impress me any further, it continues to do so.

10-26-2010 23:12:10 | More by berley31
sweemzander

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%

Bottle poured into a tasting glass. Batch 003. I believe thanks go out to Andrew for sharing this with us! Been a longtime want on my list.

(A)- Pours a hazy pale yellow straw color that produced a white head that dissipated after awhile. (4.5)

(S)- Dry, with an earthy hay/clay background. Some really nice tart citrus fruits. Hints of a dry, clean cheesy lactic acidity. (4.5)

(T)- Rather sour with the same nice fruits. Rather earthy like the smell with hay funk and some clay. Crisp. I really like the subtle oak woodiness that mingles in the background on this. (5.0)

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. So smooth, yet so crisp and sour. Complex to a point, but just delivers on mouthfeel in a harmonious way. (5.0)

(D)- Just a beautiful beer. Balanced with everything in the right place. Could not ask for anything better in the style. (5.0)

(original review: A+ / 4.8)
___
**Updated Review**
750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a stemmed glass. Batch 003

(A)- Pours a beautiful clear golden yellow/orange color that produced a good white fluffy head that stuck around for awhile. Plenty of lacing left behind. A sweet looking color.

(S)- A wonderfully dry funky earth with some acidic and tart lemon rind. Its actually kind of simple, but is just such a sexy smell that I could enjoy its aroma all day.

(T)- Same as the smell. A wonderfully dry earthy funk with a mouthpuckering lemon rind and white grape sourness. Again, simple, but so dynamic and sexy in my opinion that it deserves the top mark.

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. A massive acidic sourness, but an assertive dry earthy fruit funk to back it up. It really reminds me of a superb Gueuze.

(D)- Just a wonderfully sexy wild ale! A great feel, smell, and taste. It really is just about perfect. The sourness is quite potent however; just enough to not get a perfect in drinkability.
This having been my second time trying it, I really do think it deserves the updated score I am giving it. Rareness and demand aside, this is really world class in every way. Makes me want to try some of the older batches to compare with this, but I doubt that will ever happen. Russian River needs to release a new batch of this asap!

10-25-2010 21:51:29 | More by sweemzander
kbutler1

4.18/5  rDev -8.3%

Bottle. Pours a slightly haze straw color with a slight collared white head. Lemon zesty nose coupled with some barnyard. Very citrus type tart notes. Light mouhfeel with good carbonation. Slightly mouth puckering. The taste is really good with notes of oak, barnyard, lemon, grapefruit, and white grapes. Some good Brett notes without being overly floral or medicinal. Tasty, very tasty overall. Ends pretty dryly.

10-25-2010 13:30:03 | More by kbutler1
muttyd

4.93/5  rDev +8.1%

Shared a bottle of this with some fellow BAs at Ebenezer's in Lovell, Maine. Great place!

Poured into a wine glass. Clear golden/orange body with a thin white head that fades to a faint ring. Very musty funky aroma. Flavor is of lemon zest, sour apples, very vinous, and acidic. Very astringent finish. Bubbly on the tongue, finishes very dry.

Excellent representation of the style. This may be my absolute favorite American Wild ale.

10-24-2010 23:10:54 | More by muttyd
scottfrie

4.7/5  rDev +3.1%

375ml bottle into Delirium Noël glass. Batch 002 bottled 2/29/08.

A: Pours a bright clear orangeish-golden with thin bubbly white head that vanished into a faint collar. No lacing.
S: Crazy funky and tart smelling with notes of sour cherries, lemon zest and musty attic.
T: There is an initial blast of tartness as the acid hits your tongue, but it is not harsh or vinegary. The fruits in this beer are very vinous similar to that of a sweet white wine. I get flavors of white grapes, pears, dark cherries, oak tannins, faint vanilla and tobacco. Aftertaste has incredible notes of blackberries and blueberries with a light cheesy funk. Not as dry as I would have expected but there is still a fair amount of gritty tannins in the finish. The beer coats your mouth after each swallow and leaves a sweet sticky fruit flavor that is just wonderful.
M: Carbonation is a bit low but who cares. Body is medium and the mouthfeel is so very smooth despite the light tartness.
D: The best barrel-aged Russian River beer I've ever had. One of the best wild ales I've ever had. One of the best beers I've ever had! Oh man was this tasty. I wish I had more.

10-15-2010 03:49:34 | More by scottfrie
CaseyK

4.63/5  rDev +1.5%

Batch 2, 375 ml bottle.

A: Hazy light yellow. Thin bubbly head that quickly recedes.
S: Very sour smell. Smells like all kinds of lemon, juice, zest, sour lemon candy. Delicious.
T: Very sour up front. Matches the smell very well. Pure lemon, one of the most sour beers I have had, but in a very good way.
M: Perfectly carbonated, leaves a very pleasant tingle and zing on the tongue with a nice lasting aftertaste.
D: For how sour this was I found it to be incredibly drinkable. It was somehow refreshing and incredibly satisfying.
O: Really glad I got to try this beer, age has certainly been kind to it. Would love to try it again in the future.

09-15-2010 03:50:57 | More by CaseyK
ShadesOfGray

4.88/5  rDev +7%

BrewerDan23 shared his bottle with a dew of us at a tasting...thanks again Dan, extremely appreciated! Poured from a cork and caged 750ml bottle into my tasting snifter. Pours a hazy golden color, with a small frothy white head. Head dissipates pretty quick. So far...looks great!

Aroma is perfect! If you love sours as much as me, this one makes your mouth water. So much sharp tartness in the aroma. The funkiness associated with sours(Brett) is a nice characteristic...with lots of lemon zest and oak.

Flavor is just like the aroma...perfect. This turned out to be my favorite/biggest surprise beer of the night(which had beers like Black Tuesday and Duck Duck Gooze to compete with). I expected this beer to be delightful, but didn't expect it to rock my world! The sourness/tartness is incredible. Loads of the sharp tart, oak, funkiness. Finishes only slightly dry. Light and crisp mouthfeel. High carbonation. What a fantastic sour!!

09-14-2010 01:09:06 | More by ShadesOfGray
Ineedabeerhere

Rhode Island

4.58/5  rDev +0.4%

Finally getting around to ticking this one, cracked a batch 003 last night. From notes. Paired really nicely with Rogue River Blue.

Pours a pale yellow-gold color, with a small whitish head formation that fades to a ring leaving a touch of lacing.

Aroma is just a great combination of funk and the characteristic grapefruit flavor that this beer is often known for. I like that the funk character is complex and satisfying without going into the cheesy direction. Don't get my wrong, there's a time and a place for some stinky cheese aroma - it's just nice to find a great complex nose that satisfies without it. I'm mostly getting some musty straw-like components, wet wood and bretty earthiness in the funk department, which is just awesome contrasting with the brighter grapefruit and meyer lemon acidic qualities. The taste is just as delicious as the aroma prefaced, boasting sharp lactic sourness, all of the great lemony and grapefruit brightening up the palate with low-medium bodied with lively, yet subtle carbonation aiding in the long dry, earthy, mineral finish. Not as tongue-numbingly sour as batch 2, but still packs a punch. One of the best American sour beers. Always a pleasure to drink.

09-12-2010 23:16:23 | More by Ineedabeerhere
emerge077

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review #1500

Typically review "milestones" are meaningless, but right now 1500 seems like an awful lot of beers, endless hours spent tasting and transcribing. This calls for a special one to celebrate, and I have to thank Jason for his help in acquiring this one.

A mild *thwup* from the cork, and immediately wild farmhouse aromas waft out. Cheesy, musty horseblanket, damp straw and barn stalls. In the glass it's a more concentrated citrus, expressed as grapefruit, lemon, and orange peel. A bit of chalky, dry barrel must lingers behind the fruit. As it warms, a yogurty, lactic funkiness becomes apparent.

The frothy ring of bubbles laces nicely around the edges, with a thin wispy skim in the center. Glowing sunset orange color, with a slight natural haze.

Puckering lemony sourness, with the added dimension of grapefruit to take the edge off. Very crisp and finishing dry. Acidic and wine-like. As the palate acclimates to the sourness, more depth and complexity emerges, similar to a traditional lambic. Ripe fruit flesh, crabapple, lemon, and grapefruit blend in harmony. You can still feel the lemon pith sourness clinging in your teeth after it's gone. Very juicy at first, becoming puckering, with dry oak traces in the finish.

One of the closer American examples to traditional Lambic. There were some similarities here and there to Cantillon Classic Gueuze, another all time favorite of mine.

08-29-2010 20:30:11 | More by emerge077
exanimo

4.55/5  rDev -0.2%

Ah, beatification, supreme happiness..

On warm humid summer days in New York humidity seeps in through the cracks of the farm's silo and mixes with fermenting corn, grains, and grass. It releases a poisonous odor that can only really be traced to farms, the smell of silage. I hold this smell very dear to my heart so you can only imagine how I felt when I eagerly awaited opening my bottle of beatification.

I bought bottles of beatification during a visit to the brewery in Santa Rosa. I first tried it fresh 2 years ago when I first bought it and was rather disappointed. It was my first sour beer and was immediately turned off. No malt or hop flavors to speak of and outrageously sour. Was it a beer?

After several months a strange craving came to me and I needed a sour brew in a bad way. I don't know how, but the very taste I had once hated had grown on me while denied of it. I tried to get the same degree of sour in other sour beers but to no avail.

After popping the cork of this bottle I had been aging, I was overwhelmed again with the warm smell of silage, there is just no other description for it, wonderful. Pressed for glasses I poured the beer into a wine glass. The hazy yellow beer seemed to glisten in the sun under its quickly dissipating one finger bright white head. I also found that in the house it took a more orange/gold color, beautiful even if it was devoid of retention.

The beer goes down very smooth with slightly low carbonation and a sour taste. It has a tart, dry champagne like finish.

How does one describe the taste of sour? I think this is one reason I have grown to love sour beers. The taste is created by incredibly special and often very old yeast (some strains have been reused for hundreds of years) that can not be quantified, but only experienced. This beer is especially unique because it lacks yeast and is fermented spontaneously. Whatever random bacteria and yeast managed to latch onto the sugars managed to do a bang up job. It's organized chaos in the highest sense.

You can try loads of different sour beers, but each one is unique in its own way without an accurate description of the taste or how the sour flavor isn't exactly the same. Sure you can pick up on earthy, citrus, and very subtle wood notes, but nothing can prepare you for the unique sour flavors that your mouth will water to inside this beer.

The only thing I can say about this beer is you have to try it. You'll either love it, or hate it. But I think it is beatifying indeed.

08-23-2010 23:05:07 | More by exanimo
jampics2

Review #450.

Batch 2, 375ml split with my girl. This has been calling from the cellar for a while.

Into our fantastic Cantillon tasting glasses, we both remarked how fantastic the beer looks. Little touch of cloudiness, yellow-orange with no real head or activity. But that's OK, this beer doesn't need lace to be badass.

Smell is sour and remarkable. Huge lemon, grape skin and green apple. Oakiness is buried but just makes its presence known. Lacto and Pedio funk are apparent, and this is bracingly sour. Reminds me of a nice Belgian Gueze without the dirtiness.

This beer tastes like heaven. Sharp lacto sourness makes me think of sucking on a lemon, then a touch of spices and oak. Citrus and some vanilla, slight malt. A touch of vinegar and some brett. Amazingly balanced, it's got that traditional gueze without the skunky, dirty diaper element. Instead, an intense, sour, but dry and clean beer emerges. Awesome, probably the best Russian River beer I've had.

Mouthfeel is nice, not too carbonated like some American wilds. Sticky and dry finish because of the oak and sourness. Really nice but nothing world class like the taste. This beer is super sour, not Cantillon Kriek razors down the throat sour, but really puckering. This beer rocks, plain and simple. I have a batch 3 750ml bottle to open sometime down the line and I can't wait. Highly, highly recommended for the sour connoisseur or any beer lover. This stuff is amazing and may be a permanent ISO for me.

08-23-2010 19:14:41 | More by jampics2
Huhzubendah

District of Columbia

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%

I shared this at my tasting on August 7, 2010. Served alongside six other Russian River wild ales.

Batch 003

A: Beatification appears a very hazy yellow hue. There is a small head comprised of white bubbles that leaves a little lacing on the glass.

S: The aroma is simply amazing. I was expecting great things, and was not disappointed. Sour funk, lemons, hay, and brettanomyces are the basic makeup of the scents.

T: Not surprisingly, Beatification tastes phenomenal, as the fine aroma would indicate. Really tart, this is almost like a lemon gueuze. The aroma is staggering as you get the glass near your face, then the flavor is just awesome. The taste was an instant 5. World class.

M: As sour as this beer is, there is no harshness or astringent aspects to it. A pleasant pucker and lingering aftertaste with every drink.

D: I would drink this every day if it were feasible. Wow.

08-15-2010 00:30:57 | More by Huhzubendah
urwithdave

4.88/5  rDev +7%

750ml bottle caged and corked. Poured into a tasting glass a couple of times :)

A- Pours a hazy golden color. A thin white head. Some light subtle lacing left behind. It's kind of bubbly.

A- Big bretty funky goodness right up front and in charge. There is a oak presence and slight hint of lemon. Sour and funky. A sharp chardonnay scent creeps up on me.

T- Perfect, hands down! The funky brett and sourness is absolutely amazing. Again, as in the nose, I pick up on lemon, chardonnay, oak, some more funk, a little more sourness and a little more funk. There is also some sour apple taste that I'm really enjoying. Did I mention I LOVE this beer.

M- Medium in body. A crisp dry finish. Carbonation was spot on. Leaves a lingering tartness. Again, I can't think of anything to say bad about this beer.

D- PERFECT! My favorite out of all the sours we consumed. One of my favorite beers to date!

08-03-2010 05:21:37 | More by urwithdave
mikeyv35

Date: 07/31/2010
Vintage: Batch 3
Type: 750ml. Bottle
Glassware: Portsmouth Tulip (I really need to start using a different glass!)

Tasted at The Epic Sweet & Sour Tasting I w/ wunderbeer(Ron), ShadesofGray(Ryan), and big Dan. Sweet event!

Poured a golden straw in color w/ a 1/2 finger white head that left nice lacing on the glass. The nose was of tart acidicness, light earthy funk, orange peel, and lemon zest. The taste was the same as the nose. Mouthfeel was thin and clean. I could easily drink this all night long. Everytime I say that I feel like I should quote Lionel Ritchie.

Overall, nice brew that is a pleasure to drink anytime.

08-02-2010 02:18:57 | More by mikeyv35
Gtreid

4.25/5  rDev -6.8%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to urwithdave for cracking this one as aprt of our sick night of sours. Poured into a tasting glass.

A: Cloudy burnt yellow. The pour dropped a less than impressive head, buyt what was there stuck around and then left some stickiness behind.

A: White wine, grapes, green apple, and yes the funk! Barnyard and horseblanket abound in this brew. Sour lacto, and notes of grass.

T: Sour funky goodness all the way. I get the same underlying notes as in the nose, but the sourness is seems to overpower them all. I am left scratching my tounge to see if any saliva is left. Nope, if finishes very fruity and dry.

M: Tingley with the aggressive carbonation. Medium body.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is just a touch lower due to the extreme sourness of the brew. Overall, I really liked what RR did here. Out of all the sours we tasted, this one came in at #2. Skal.

07-26-2010 20:13:46 | More by Gtreid
Jwale73

Rhode Island

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%

Thanks to jedwards for sharing. 375ml corked and caged bottle, batch #2. Poured a hazy, golden-orange, with no head. Nose reveals some citrus (perhaps tangerines), cork and a hint of funk. Taste reveals muted grapefruit seeds and a salty quality. Mouthfeel is light-medium (but closer to light), with an easy carbonation and some light astringency that stimulates the salivary glands. What an incredible sour - light, flavorful and extremely drinkable. Wish I could get more of this.

07-24-2010 23:25:31 | More by Jwale73
koopa

4.43/5  rDev -2.9%

Batch 3 750ml bottle...

Appearance: Pours straw yellow with a 1 finger white crown that shows moderate retention and lace.

Smell: Nice combination of lemon and urine soaked hay, green grape skins, medium tartness/pucker, salt, moderate sourness and funk.

Taste: Loads of lemon bitterness, white and green grapes, likghtly salty, moderate barnyard.

Mouthfeel: On the thick side of thin bodied with prickly carbonation.

Drinkability: Fairly easy to drink but the sourness and citric qualities get to you after a bit.

This one is nowhere near as sour or pungent as batch 2 but still a great brew!

Drinkability:

07-24-2010 01:25:34 | More by koopa
HopHead84

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

7/17/2010

Batch 001 - PH1 generously opened by javib458, thanks!

I've had this a dozen times yet I seem to have failed to review it. I will remedy that now.

Poured into a snifter, the beer is yellow gold with good clarity and a small fizzy white head that exhibits good retention and leaves scattered lacing.

The aroma is a piquant blend of tart citrus and oak, with a moderate Brett presence that imparts some horsey, musty, and cheese notes. It's fairly well balanced, but the citrus is slightly more prominent than the rest.

The flavor is a succulent lemon tartness with light apple notes, balanced by oak and a dry, champagne-like mouthfeel. Musty and lactic notes are apparent, and the beer finishes with a mouth puckering tartness, a moderate sourness, and lingering citrus notes.

I first had 001 - PH1 on 7/25/09 in a full Beatification vertical (001, 001 - PH1, 002, 003), and I couldn't decide if 002 or PH1 was the best batch. I had PH1 again at Woodshop 5.0 on 2/20/2010 and it was a disgusting mess, so I was worried the whole batch had gone downhill. This most recent bottle was sublime, so I really have no idea what the deal was with the bottle at Woodshop. There were no detectable off flavors here; it was a display of all around excellence.

07-20-2010 23:33:07 | More by HopHead84
Exiled

4.28/5  rDev -6.1%

750ml Bottle - Batch 003

Pours a golden color with a decent white head. Smell is very funky like cheese, sour lemons, apples, and oak. Taste is sour lemons, pears, apples, funk and oak. Medium mouthfeel, good carbonation, with a dry finish. Overall it is another great sour.

06-27-2010 07:11:30 | More by Exiled
Mora2000

4.43/5  rDev -2.9%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

Batch 003. The beer pours a hazy gold color with a white head. The aroma is much more funky than the other Russian River sours I have rated. I get some cheesy funk, a little tartness and some oak and vanilla. The flavor is more of the cheesy funk with some tart lemons and oak character. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

06-21-2010 04:19:40 | More by Mora2000
ricke

Sweden

Batch 2.

Hazy pale orange color with a minimal off-white head that fizzes away.

The aroma is acidic and fruity. Very intense. Notes of cheese and dust, with a sharp lemon character. Very nice.

The flavor is intensely sour with crystal clear lemon notes. Not as funky as the smell. Notes of grass and dust. Obvious cellar character with lovely barrel notes. The finish is bone dry and almost harshly sour.

Medium body, fairly lively carbonation.

This might be the most genuine American sour ale I've come across. Very lambic-like in terms of sourness and overall character.

06-19-2010 19:39:54 | More by ricke