Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

BeatificationBeatification

Wants: 2,837
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006)
Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beatification Alström Bros

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Huge thanks to nate8767 for shipping me my very first of a long time want.

Pours bright gold with a finger of white creamy head. Excellent lacing and retention.

Smells as much like a gueuze as any stateside sours I've had. Tart lemon and citrus with an underlying deep funk. Magnificent.

Flavors are similar. Lots of tart lemon and grass up front. Sourness really takes hold after that. Very light delicate flavors still stand out among the sour. Finishes musty and dry.

Creamy mouthfeel with good prickly carbonation.

I'm not sure it's the best sour I've ever had, but it's definitely a great one and something unlike most American Wild Ales. Perfect sourness level. The underlying components still shine through and create a great experience. Very excited to have a few more to age.

4.8/5  rDev +5.3%

Russian River Beatification (Batch 005)

I was fortunate enough to score a couple of these from the recent release so a big thanks to my cousin Dan for sending these down from NorCal! Beatification pours a wonderful hazy golden straw color, subtle hues of honey and orange, a thin bubbly white head surfaces, about a finger or so, but dissipates within seconds leaving a vapid layer of film atop the beer. The aroma is fantastic, pungent barnyard funk, wild yeast, sour fruits, acidic citrus, very tropical. It does smell very reminiscent of a gueuze, but so juicy and fruit, not dry at all, I was expecting to have some champagne like dry apples and butter in the nose, but was greeted with some wonderful wet, juicy sour fruit, I could keep my nose in the glass all night. The flavors are just as rewarding, it starts with some wonderful fruit flavors such as pineapple, mango, or papaya, but moves towards some bright citrus, hints of grapefruit, but very lemon heavy. The yeasty funk is less apparent in the flavors, but it does add a nice subtle layer of complexity to the fruitiness and doesn't leave behind any unpleasant aftertastes or dryness. The body is nice, the carbonation is actually very mild, but the acidity and sour profile gives it a feeling as if it were carbonated at higher levels.

Verdict: My words don't do this beer justice, it's truly unbelievable and the hype and hysteria is most certainly deserved. This is quite possibly Russian River's best sour offering and with an already impressive lineup of sour beer, it really is saying something. Whether you call it a Gueuze or an American Wild Ale, this is a must try at all costs for any sour lover.

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

Bottle courtesy of nate8767; what a guy! Batch 5 (bottled 1/10/2012).

Hazy, golden yellow liquid sports a full finger of fluffy white head. Solid retention before receding to a thin white layer of foam guarding the surface. Subsequent swirls of my glass awaken the beast within. Good lace.

Nose brings the funk stronger than a James Brown album. Dirty yeast, wild funk, earth & grass, sour fruits; the whole nine yards. Just wonderful.

Sharply tart, funky, and quite sour from the start. Yeast brings in more craziness as the sour fruits make their way to the back of my throat. This incites a grainy, slightly tingly texture or sensation that I've never experienced with a beer before. Puckering sourness lingers as this brew finishes clean & dry. Can safely say that I prefer this over Cable Car '09, '10, and Izzy. Exceptional!

Slightly more creamy and viscous than a typical medium-bodied brew. Active body means plenty of carbonation, and it's done just right in Beatification. Sipping on this incredible brew makes me want to buy vacation property in Santa Rosa. That alone should suffice for my review :)

Beatification is a gueuze treading the same path as Cantillon & Drie Fonteinen, yet Vinnie and the Russian River crew demonstrate their own (masterful) Americanized interpretation of the style with this brew. A landmark American sour, showcasing what's possible in the style when you combine creativity with world-class brewing & blending talent. Ball's in your court, Belgium!

4.53/5  rDev -0.7%

Eric... what else can I possibly say but thanks! I am ever grateful for this, one of my most sought after beers. Thanks.

375ml. Batch 001. Gentile first pour yields a glowing and absolutely radiant clear, bright, copper/gold liquid with virtually no head and just the smallest appearance of carbonation. Aroma yields loads of tart acicity. Moldy tropical fruit. Wet dog. Foot and BO. Aged cheesy stank. Very light barnyard impression. Musty, acidic basement? The citrus component and funk of the brett and wood really play off each other wonderfully. Doughy, champagne-like yeasty malt quality. Wet rocks and gravel. Shit, I could smell this all day. Acidic, tart and rather minerally on the palate. Tart pineapple, plenty of wood tannin. Acidic, horsey, funky and damn near gueuze-like. As with the nose, the citrus, barrel and yeast aspects all melt together rather seamlessly. The malt component really reminds me of a doughy and bready Champagne, a la Bollinger. Plenty of spritzy carbonation all leading to a fantastically dry, funky, earthy, acidic and rocky finish.

With the yeast added the nose becomes a lot more musty and dank, losing a lot of the citrus component and adding a wholly wonderful layer of cheesy, animal, barnyard funk. Cheesier and moldier on the palate as well. The wood seems to come out more as well. Acidity is toned down on the finish, but the flavor and tangy yeast linger on the tongue for quite a while. Most excellent, but I prefer the bright tang and acidity of the top half of the bottle. Regardless, this a true world class example of the sour ale style and ranks up there with the best of them. Thanks again Eric!

Batch 2: 375ml Bottle. Initial review of the top half of the bottle before the yeast pours.
Holy shit! What a insanely funky and over the top nose! Tart, juicy citrus, white pepper, wood, brett, horse blanket, cow poop, farm. Absolutely wonderful in its complexity. Pours a clear gold. Nearly still. Nearly perfect. Shimmering in all its awesomeness. Flavor is tart and acidic beyond belief. Pineapple, brett, sour, funky. Awesome!

After the yeast. More musty notes emerge. More basement and less farm. Pungent and potent as all hell. White pepper notes emerge. Grapefruit skin. White grape skin and tannin. Assloads of tannic wood. Still acidic but a tad more lush and creamy. Dusty and gravely. Out-freaking-standing! Thanks Mark!

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

A: Hay, golden color. Almost completely clear. Oily looking head. Some champagne-like bubbles floating to the top. I like the color and clarity. Very warm color, like sun rays on a Sunday morning.

S: Citrus. Strong oak aroma. Barnyard funk. Sharp acidity, more on the lactic side. Yeast. Maybe some glue? Overall, it has a very Lambic-like profile. Superb.

T: Sourness in front of tongue. Even more midpalate. Same flavors as in aroma. Slightly bitter, dry aftertaste. Alcohol not found, thank god, because that is my main complaint about American sours (including most other RR's).

M: Carbonation is medium. Body is, of course, bone dry, but with plenty of acidity to balance.

O: Extremely drinkable. I compared this side-by-side with Sanctification and found it much more complex, sour, and balanced. Slightly disappointing, since I can find Sanctification much more easily. I guess you really need to let nature do its work without intervening to create a thing of beauty. Get it if and while you can.

4.83/5  rDev +5.9%

375ml cork and cage. Bottled 1/10/12.

Murky, pale golden. Tiny and fizzy yellowish head, leaving nothing behind.

Lemon citrus, slight funk grass and some cedar on the nose.

Earthy and grassy flavors at first, with a ton of carbonation. Very active in the mouth. Big, citric tartness, lemon mostly, nearing a sourness. Finish is a slowly fading, juicy lemon flavor, not overly dry for the amount of carbonation. A funkiness and light pepper spicing develops as the beer warms, adding deeper layers to the flavor.

Phenomenal. Easily the best American wild ale I've had, topping even Cable Car.

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

Served from bottle into a snifter glass. The bottle was bought at RR, and I had a bottle while there, but I am currently drinking it at home.

A: A slightly hazy (but not completely opaque) yellow/golden. Light sediment on the bottom.

S: Sharp oakiness, vanilla, sourness. Maybe grapes, as well.

T: Lots of oak and vanilla, and very sour. Apricots and floral notes, definitely grapes. Very delicious. The fruity and floral flavors, especially, come out after the beer warms up above cellar temperature. Very clean finish, with no lingering aftertaste (except maybe a certain subtle and pleasant one).

M: Low on carbonation, but very acidic / sour.

O: An excellent beer. Almost as good as American sour beers get. However, at the price point (even directly from RR, which only offers 375 mL bottles), it's not worth quite the hype that it gets. Just keep in mind that - if you can find them - Cantillon and 3F gueuzes are actually cheaper per volume. Heck, a Cuvee Renee is 1/3 the price and is comparable quality (though some may disagree)! If you get the chance, try this beer. Just don't lose an arm and a leg for it. It is not a spiritual experience.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

A pretty near perfect score here as I can confidently say that I've never had a better sour - wild ale. That being said, I've never had a Cantillon anything or Cable Car so when that happens, I'll come back and revise my statement if necessary.

Batch 5 - Bottled 1/10/12

A - The most sunshine vibrant yellowish orange I may have ever seen, minimally somewhat cloudy in the 10oz wine glass I poured it in. Sunshine in a glass. Similar color to the bottle's label but much more BEAutifil. Active, begging for a whiff. Would get a perfect 5 with good head & retention...

S - Complexities really begin to come through as it warms - especially that barnyard funk. Citrus included oranges and lemons, some pineapple and this beer smells nice and tart. Very welcoming. I'm on the fence with a lot of sours but I knew I was going to really enjoy this one at first smell.

T&M - Follows nose. I am amazed at how freaking refreshing and crisp this beer is. At only 6% it's still a nice sipper on a warm sunny day. Clean crisp bone dry finish, I mean...even if your not a fan of the style, you usually can still tell when you're drinking a high quality specimen which Beatification most definately is. Pretty blown away I must say.

O - Usually, I don't find myself wanting much more than 10-12oz of most sours but I could have sapped back on 3 of these easily. SO refreshing, SO crisp, SO clean, and such a nice bone drying finish that kept me wanting more. I'm told and assuming age will make this beer better as it usually does this style, but I really couldn't imagine where it could have improved or how it could have been better. Admittedly, I'm not new to the style but new to appreciating it and finally feeling confident in my ability to critique or review sours properly. Great freaking stuff!

Beatification from Russian River Brewing Company