Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

BeatificationBeatification

Wants: 2,668
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beatification Alström Bros
lhaqq

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%

A: Cloudy orange-wheat colored body with a fluffy crisp yellow white head.
S: Sour grapes, champagne, green apples.
T: Sour grapes and green apples, some wheat and sparkling white wine.
M: High carbonation, a bit hard to drink quickly. Fairly light body.
D: Had a couple glasses, but not masking too high of an abv.

08-23-2009 03:58:26 | More by lhaqq
ritzkiss

4.38/5  rDev -3.9%

Batch 002, shared with the ever generous Bobsy.

My first foray into American wild ales pours a hazy golden wheat with a smattering of head.

Nose is a cornucopia of aromas - a hefty dose of fresh barnyard, hay, leather, funk, oranges and lemons.

Any initial impression will be struck by the lip puckering sourness of this brew. Behind that lies a body of lemons (fresh squeezed lemon juice!), a hint of funk but not as much as the nose would have led me to believe or as much as I would have expected from a wild ale, hints of sour apples, earthy, bone dry finish. Bright carbonation.

The initial sip is a bit of a shocker but after the taste buds orient to the new adventure I have to say that I thoroughly enjoyed this beer. It wrests every taste bud and demands you hunker down and contemplate its depths. Love the pucker and the funk, time to see what else the world of American sours has in store!

08-09-2009 23:18:55 | More by ritzkiss
bobsy

3.65/5  rDev -20%

Batch 3 courtesy of grub and batch 2 courtesy of biegaman, sampled on back-to-back nights. Thanks guys for this rare treat! My first wild ale.

Cloudy yellow pour with a tight white cap that dissipates to a ring and leaves a few spots of lace. HUGE sour aroma of lemons and green apples taht really leaps out at you. Mega-sour flavour, with strong lemon and citrus notes throughout. Odd hints of apple, and a touch of funk. Just impressively sour and overwhelming for me. Light body, with a crisp, dry finish.

I don't think sours are really my thing, whihc will save me a bundle in the long run. However, I'm quite impressed with this and I can see why some people have fallen in love with the style. A very well-constructed beer, but not one I'd look for any time soon.

08-09-2009 21:16:12 | More by bobsy
Derek

British Columbia (Canada)

3.68/5  rDev -19.3%

Batch 3.

A: Hazy straw, thin ring of retention leaves a little leg/lace.

S: Huge, overpowering apple tartness. Impressive.

T: A real mouth-puckering tartness, like an unblended lambic. The lactic acid reminds me of sour keys, with hints of underlying candied fruit. The subtleties are certainly lost on me.

M: Light to moderate body has a dry finish.

D: A little tart for my tastes.

Thanks Grub!

08-09-2009 01:02:13 | More by Derek
BARFLYB

4.43/5  rDev -2.9%

Thanks goes out to Arbitrator for the assist, batch 3, poured into Duvel snifters for best effect.

A- Beatification is quite beasutiful. A hazy mix of yellow and orange giving off a glowing look when up towards light. The head was not high, probably like a 1/2 inch of semi loose white foam. Lacing is not great, but this one is still quite a looker.

S- This smells great. A big blast of sourness with a backdrop of citrus consisting of lemons. Not very funky, more tart like. This wild is very closely resembling a gueuze. The smell just lingers from the glass, drawing you in.

T- Oh my, a sour tart punch straight to the tastebuds. This one woke me up. With the up front citrus the squeezed lemon is there plus some minimal grapefruit. There is some funk going on but I would not call it funky, maybe that's just in this newer batch. Quite acidic and delicious. Some oak and more funk come out with warming.

M- Puckering to say the least, let this one roll around in your mouth for some time and it will open you up. Tart, fruity and refreshing. Finishes dry with perfect carbonation giving off a spritzy feel when the drink is colder. The body is in between light and medium and is again perfect for this style.

D- A low ABV like this would grant a whole bottle to the head, but all the bugs in my system afterwards is not a good look and would eat my skinny ass up. When I gain 100 pounds or so I will attempt to drink a 750 of this, for now sharing is fine with me. The drinkability on this is insane, I drank my glass in no time, and now im looking for more.

08-01-2009 02:30:21 | More by BARFLYB
mothman

United Kingdom (Wales)

4.33/5  rDev -5%

Batch 002

Poured into La Trappe goblet.

Poured slowly producing a thin fizzy layer of white head. Fades quickly. No lace. Color is a bright golden orange sunset.

Aroma: Some vinegar, but has a big funky barnyard aroma going on. A ton of acidic citrus. Very sour of course. A different aroma from what I was expecting, but I like it.

Taste: Sour and tarty as hell, but has a sweet farmhouse funk to it. Hay and vinegar. Very acidic and funky. My mouth waters with every sip. Also has some oak to it.

Mouthfeel: This beer is super sour, maybe almost to sour, but I don't mind it. Light bodied with a high level of carbonation.

Overall, this is a sweet beer. I like the sourness, but it still has a sweet funky farmhouse taste. I can easily drink more of this.

07-30-2009 20:02:06 | More by mothman
supercolter

Wisconsin

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

I love RR.
Appearance is very good, nice lighter color, but looks thick with some head and lacing.
Smell is quite good, huge lemon zest and citrus with slight malt backbone- sour and sweet at the same time.
Taste is more of the same but a bit more tart up front, with the sweetness popping through very late.
Mouthfeel is very good, slightly carbonated.
Drinkability is very good.

07-24-2009 05:14:08 | More by supercolter
PerzentRizen

Mississippi

3.9/5  rDev -14.5%

Batch 002
Bottle Serving: 375 mL
%ABV: 6.00%

Poured into a Duvel glass this wild has a cloudy golden color with a frothy and retreating head that quickly dissapates to a few bubbles around the edge of the glass.

The Aromas are very crisp, refined, and citrusy. There is a ton of white vinegar in the nose along with dry tannins and light oak. I can definately smell the chardonay in this beer.

First taste is like an intense puckering tart candy. It's like a flavor explosion in the mouth. There is a ton of lemon, vinegar, and lime. This would be the perfect beer with fajitas and handmade corn tortillas.

Mouthfeel is extremely light and airy. There's a little carbonation on the tongue; just enough to increase the tartness of the beer.

Drinkabilty is a tough one to nail on this beer. I could drink one of these every year and be good so I can't say it's really all that drinkable. I don't want to break out the 750 in the cellar by any means. I do think the tastes, smells, and other components are great just not something I'd go back to repeatedly. I will try this again.

07-24-2009 03:57:41 | More by PerzentRizen
nrbw23

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%

Batch 002.

A- Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with a thin white head. Not too much retention and no lacing.

S- Smells of sour and tart fruits, citrus, lemons, pears and maybe green apples.

T- Taste is super sour flavors up front. Lemons seems to be the most dominant fruity flavor. Some light caramel maltiness and herbal earthy notes as well.

M- Light to medium in body and in carbonation. After the initial pucker factor a very enjoyable brew.

D- Easy to drink just not one that I could drink on a regular basis. A very solid change of pace.

07-15-2009 20:40:08 | More by nrbw23
Bobbydigi

Kansas

4.1/5  rDev -10.1%

Batch 002 375ml Poured into a tulip glass.

This is a very different beer from what I'm used to. I've had a few sours and this one was the most pronounced in every way. Poured a hazy yellow with about an inch of white head leaving little lacing. Big lemon and citrus smell, some earthy tones and some funk. You can tell this one is going to be sour. First taste was WOW that sour almost in a bad way, but after i keep sipping my taste buds start to get used to what they are sensing. Very tart (obviously), acidic and citrus. This is a very powerful tasting brew, I was thinking about reviewing another beer tonight but I don't know if my taste buds can adjust. Mouth feel is good, not too much carbonation at all. I have an 003 in the cellar I might have to bust it out soon and compare notes.

07-08-2009 23:52:56 | More by Bobbydigi
alovesupreme

4.18/5  rDev -8.3%

Murky yellow with a surprisingly full off white head. Great lacing.
lemondrops, funk and slight vinegar. Reminiscent of a Gueze.
SOUR. Lemon, with lots of acidity. Some viniger as well as funky yeast. It is obvious that this is no typical beer.
Very pleasant mouthfeel with carbonation just were it should be. Body is very full.
A great beer. Very sour. I will have this again at some point in the future.

07-06-2009 06:46:52 | More by alovesupreme
joepais

3.98/5  rDev -12.7%

Thanks to JVD for this
A bottle of batch 2 pored into a challis produced a good finger worth of head that disappeared completely rather quickly. The body of the brew was a clear straw colored yellow.

The aroma reminded me of a gueuze in a lot of ways. The typical funk and sour citrus coming from the glass. The flavor was somewhat the same to me it remined me of a gueuze. I know It's a wild, but the sour citris and vinigar flavors were great. The mouthfeel was medium to light with almost no carbonation

The bottle was quite enough for me but I will say I enjoyed every drop. I think the fact this is so hard to find will probably hinder me from looking forwad to driking this again . I was glad it reminded me of a gueuze so I can easly grab one to help remind me of the experiance

06-29-2009 17:10:41 | More by joepais
drumrboy22

Colorado

4.1/5  rDev -10.1%

Batch 002. Poured from a 375mL bottle into a Russian River chalice. Beer was a yellow straw color with a very small, quickly fading white head. No lacing and very light carbonation.

Aroma was vinegar along with notes of grapefruit and other citrus fruits.

Taste was pretty tart and funky. Heavy lemon and grapefruit with some acidic green apple notes.

Mouthfeel is very dry. Similar to a nice gueuze.

Great beer, especially for fans of wild ales. Highly recommended.

06-25-2009 03:13:13 | More by drumrboy22
HiAIPA

4.33/5  rDev -5%

Batch 003 poured from a 750ml bottle. Thanks Chris, you da man for opening this beauty from the cellar!

I have been wanting to try this wild ale for some time. Nice fine bubbled head, nice gold color. Smells of citrus and the best thing I can describe it as is TANG, before you add water and dilute it. Sour funk on the nose but moreso on the palate. There's a sweet/sour component where the brett/saccaros mingle that is very unique. Feels light on the mouth, but very complex. Excellent sour.

06-21-2009 22:51:47 | More by HiAIPA
drgonzo3705

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%

A: Pours a hazy yellow color with a thin white filmy head.

S: Vinegary lemon zest and tartness all going together nicely here.

T: Lemon tart are big here. Slight vinegar taste as well.

M: Medium body with little carbonation and hardly any hops.
D: For the ABV this is highly drinkable. I love the tartness balanced by the lemon zest. Definitely worth the drink.

06-20-2009 00:33:35 | More by drgonzo3705
rayjay

Hawaii

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%

Batch 002, 375 mL corked bottle. Thanks go to Taynor in some sort of BIF.

These Russian River barrel aged wild ales are usually pretty dull looking and this fits right in. Tiny head that dissipates right away and no lace at all. Pilsner colored with chill haze.

Gueuze-like aroma, very grainy and earthy. Not crazy funky, but definite funk-ification.

Flavor is complex and fruity. Lots of fresh strawberry flavor. Brett is a no-brainer. Fresh squeezed white grapefruit juice with a tart punch. Puckering, but by no means brutally sour. The flavors all work in perfect harmony. A very complex and drinkable beer.

No much carbonation, so the mouthfeel is a step above mineral water. No stickyness.

Quite delicious and refreshing, making for a very drinkable beer. Big brownie points for designing a hard-to-make beer, especially consistently. Cheers!

06-17-2009 04:43:02 | More by rayjay
raoulduke37

4.43/5  rDev -2.9%

Batch 003. I didn't know what to expect going into this experience, but this definitely blew me away on all fronts. Good Lord, what an eye-opener. Pours a hazy orange and very murky champagne-esque consistency. Nice two-finger head quickly dissipates leaving an intriguing beer. Dare I venture any closer?

As soon as the cork was popped the bretts and wildness of this beer jumped out at me. I absolutely love this smell - acidic, vinegary, EXTREMELY green apples freshly cut, and yes, now I know what the hell "horse-blanket" means. Man, I'm terrified in the most wonderful wonderful way.

First taste - grapefruit, lemon, citrus, citrus, citrus. Extremely tart and acidic. But something happens at the end - something very earthy. If you can imagine eating dirt as a good experience, then that's what it tastes like. These beer tastes like it's been around since the beginning of brewing. I really love it.

I am very happy that I got a chance to try this. I would love to see what it's like on tap. Right now I must say thanks and give credit to Healthy Spirits in SF for having the only bottle in the whole area (I looked) at the time that I was visiting.

This whole experience reminded me of the first time that I was in Toronado SF and someone handed the bartender a tulip of sour beer. It may have been Beatification, and, upon drinking it, he made the face that people in middle school used to make when eating sour "Warheads." Afterwards, he put the glass down and said, "That's my favorite beer." I think I understand that experience a little better now.

05-29-2009 22:53:03 | More by raoulduke37
biegaman

4.08/5  rDev -10.5%

"No rule exists for such compositions; they are at the mercy of the artist's genius"
- Grimod de la Reyniere

Over-ripened mango dotted with tiny flakes of salt. The carbonation must be extremely fine, if at all existent. The surface is left bare with only the faintest trim. Its complexion is sullied although clarity is left largely unhindered. The beer actually takes on a bright daisy yellow tone when exposed to the afternoon sunlight.

That the beer is aged in used wine barrels is not at all inconsequential. The brewery may insist they only use the "oldest barrels that no longer have any wine flavor or oak flavor left in them" but even sitting a full foot away I can smell something very similar to a dry white wine. Closer inspection with nostrils right up against the glass confirms, although more vinegary and tart notes also become apparent.

Having been to Belgium before and there having tried plenty of Lambics, I'm having deja vu. This beer (like all the barrel aged offerings from Russian River) were inspired by a trip to Belgium and are intended as interpretations of that country's spontaneously fermented ales. In this regard Russian River succeeds (better than anyone else, at any rate) in replicating the beers - but not of course duplicating them.

Beatification seems, on the whole, not quite as dry nor as tart as many Lambics. It does offer, however, plenty more funk. Acidic, vinegary notes of wilted citrus, wild honey and over-ripened orchard fruit abound as do the shared characteristics to a dry, sparkling white wine. According to the brewery's bottle log, this batch (#2) is considered "ultra funky". Indeed, it's probably one of the "funkiest" beers I can recall having.

The contents were put in bottle 29/02/08 but its two comprising batches were laying around in the barrels for some considerable time before that, 19 and 13 months respectively. Given the uniqueness of each batch, it's hard to say how this bottle, now at age one and a half, compares to fresher samples. That said, I see no reason to doubt the 4 hourglass lifespan Russian River labeled it with.

Fascinating a beer though Beatification may be, it is (admittedly) largely thanks to those few Belgian brewers who continue the tradition of spontaneously fermented ales that such knowledge and technique were handed down (and then west about 5500 miles) to one of North America's most innovative and talented brewmaster. No wonder it's called "Beatification", this beer sure makes me happy!

05-26-2009 18:57:36 | More by biegaman
SPLITGRIN

Kentucky

4.47/5  rDev -2%

An inch and a half of ghostly white head sits on top of a golden yellow wheat colored body that is refreshing in itself. The nose is really exciting with such balance between the acidic sour and funky wheat tones. Sour cherries and sugary candied feel are really there. Shazam! Sharply tart as you take first sip, vinegary and acidic with lemony zest up front on the tongue, the sour feel really hangs on to both sides of the tongue. Now this really mellows out and turns sustainably powdery. Mouthfeel is early apple crisp and really enjoyable. initially the sour seems a bit strong but it quickly becomes lovely. Very nice.

05-24-2009 22:42:13 | More by SPLITGRIN
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

4.25/5  rDev -6.8%

Bottle: Poured a bright golden color ale with some white hue and a generous pure white bubbly head with average retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of oak with some lactic sourness and some funky barnyard notes. Taste is quite complex with mix of sour lactic notes, some oak notes and some funky barnyard notes as well. I must admit that this is pretty close to some Lambic brewed in Belgium while lacking some complexity. Full body with great carbonation. I would love to have access to this on a regular basis.

05-22-2009 02:55:30 | More by Phyl21ca
organicbrewer

Batch #2

Poured into a generic Tulip

A-Deep gold. Brilliantly clear. Low eggshell head.

S-Straw, horseblanket. A ton of barnyard funkyness. Old oak. Like the best lambic. This beer reminds me of the barrel room at cantilion.

T-FUNK!!! Super sour. Mouthpuckeringly so. Some old wood but not too much. Some bile... in a good way. More barnyard. Nothing in the way of hops.

M-Pretty dry. Enough carbonation to keep it lively but much less then your average american beer. No alcohol noticable.

D- I could do this all night. Super sour though so if you're not into that then you might have a problem. ISO:

05-16-2009 01:21:14 | More by organicbrewer
Onibubba

Kentucky

3.85/5  rDev -15.6%

I have been waiting over a year for an occasion special enough to open this bottle. An advance copy of the new album by my absoute favorite band, Current 93 marks such an occasion. Opens with less of a pop than I was anticipating and pours into the Magic Chouffetulip a deep honeyed gold. The head is very slight, and even with coaxing never rises to more than a quarter inch. Smells are slighter than I expected. A soapy, wood soaked funkiness, and an unidentifiable sourness. Taste follows suite. A sour beer to be sure, but not lemony nor apple like in taste. Simply sour, mouthwateringly so. This is not a sparkly, high on the tongue beer. Mouthfeel is smooth and coating. The sourness lingers, the mouth waters. As the beer warms, smells become much more assertive and pronounced, geueuze like. Drinkability is good, but the sour woodiness keeps this an indulgent sipper.

All in all, a delicious beer, but not as good as the Temptation I had previously. The Current 93, Aleph at Hallucinatory Mountain, is a Sunn O like rocker by the way, as unique as their previous offering. Much like this beer. God bless Russian River and Current 93.

05-15-2009 22:35:45 | More by Onibubba
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

4.43/5  rDev -2.9%

Bottle into red wine glass, Batch 002. Thanks to Damien (Solomon420) for giving me the chance to try this one!

Pours a brilliant clear gold, thin white head that turns quickly into a soapy layer.

Nose is great. So much unfolding as you inhale... lot of barnyard, even heading into cat pee, beautiful notes of vanilla, pears, white grapes, all meshed so well together. It's the integration of the aromas that are so impressive with this ones.

Taste slips off that velvet glove and just wallops you with one of the most intense, brazenly funked-up sour experiences I've had. Up front, you get clobbered with a nice array of richly funky/sour flavors - wet leather, barnyard, a musty lemony sourness, quite aciditic but held in check by the fantastic funk. Finish has a buttery richness that hints of lemon underneath the lingering leathery funk. The finish does more to lend some balance to the big funky, sour slap in the face than any other aspect of the beer. To me, this is to Gueuze what an American IPA is to its English cousin - a bit more brash, equally complex in a different way but less refined as well.

Mouthfeel is superb. Rich and full, yet some light and dancing, lingering beautifully on the palate. Lip-smackingly good.

Drinkability is really nice. I savored every sip of this bottle, but unlike, say, Brute or Fou'Foune, I don't know if this is one I could down an entire 750 of. Course, I just realized I finished off this 375 well before I expected to, so...

All in all, a pretty fantastic beer. Definitely a balls-to-the-wall sour - this is not one I'd use to introduce someone to the style, even if I could get it off my local store's shelf. But yowza, what an experience.

05-09-2009 19:01:25 | More by JohnQVegas
twelvsies

4.22/5  rDev -7.5%

Batch 002. Thanks (again) to sonicdescent for a great trade. Pours a beautiful vibrant yellow color, orange highlights, slightly hazed. Real bright. Unripe lemons, barnyard and hay, funky bugs and yeast, grassy very dry aroma. Thinking I'm in for quite the ride here. Ok this beer is a little crazy if you ask me. It is just over the top sour. Pungent brutal sourness. Usually your tastebuds get used to the sour after the first initial sips, but this beer just keeps shocking me everytime I take a sip. With out a doubt the most brazenly sour beer I have ever had. Ballsy. I dig it. Lemon rind, green apple, wheat grass, hay, dust. Remember sour candy like warheads or cry babies? This beer is like an adult version of that. Excellent acidity. It reminds me of the most sour thing I've ever had, which were these little weird fruits called calamondins that grew on a tree in my grandma's backyard in Florida. I used to eat them all the time as a little fellow. They are like tart, acrid little oranges and they taste like this beer. Really an amazing feat in brewing to get so much flavor into one beer. I have to knock the drinkability only a tad because it's so outrageously sour, but it works here. I'm shocked.

05-08-2009 16:29:52 | More by twelvsies
CoolJosh

4.35/5  rDev -4.6%

Bottle very generously provided through trade by Jwelsch. This was Batch 003. I was given a bottle prior to obtaining this one by my good buddy jgap, through a stellar trade. I can't wait to try the batch that Justin sent to me, but I'd stuck between aging it and wanting to open it every time I see it in my cellar/closet.

Pours a beautiful glowing yellow with orange tones. White foamy head that fades fast, but leaves some yeast sediment on top

I swear my nose catches a ton of scents flourishing out of the glass without holding it up to my nose. White grape, orange, more pronounced cherry, tart lemon, a lot of brett funkiness that combines very nicely with the oak aging that this beer endured.

On the palate, a little on the sweeter side but still incredibly tart. Huge lemon and white grapes, with boat loads of dry grapes and other tannins, and some really sour cherry accent flavors. I can see where the oak aging comes into play but its not as pronounced. Orange is present mid-sip. The beer is a little a thinner then similar beers but that's not say this is a negative aspect.
D 4