Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

BeatificationBeatification

Wants: 2,698
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beatification Alström Bros
GeoffFromSJ

4.4/5  rDev -3.5%

The label mentions they have blended two "Sonamics" and that's about right. We have an American guezue (more or less).

Typical funk smell. Taste is some citrus with lambic taste. Like actual lambic/guezue taste. I believe I can taste oak as well.

05-18-2010 03:55:15 | More by GeoffFromSJ
hayesez

Indiana

4.63/5  rDev +1.5%

Received as part of a trade with colonelforbin...thanks for the hook-up, Mike!

After a good night of Euchre and some beers, Kate and I stayed late to work on the Beatification. I give Kate some props for hanging late when she was faced with the FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) exam in a few hours. This should get her primed!

Poured into my Portsmouth snifter, the Beatification looks a hazy tawny yellow. Very cloudy with swirls of suspension sticking around. A small white head leaves quickly and places no head on the glass. A decent looking beer, but nothing exceptional.

Smells zesty. Some grassy, wet, slightly funky smell stands out. Maybe a bit of lemon with only a slight amount of funk. It's there, but the barnyard is in the background.

Tart. Very tart. One of the most tart wilds I've ever had. I remember trying the Temptation for the first time and thinking it was very tart. Well, tonight I had them back to back and the Beatification holds Temptation's head under the water. This is tart, gland hitting stuff. I really enjoy the taste / mouthfeel. It is light bodied and not highly carbonated, but I love the way it feels. Great stuff. I get the tart before I even let the beer drop down over my tongue...it's obvious. There is a bit more of the funky barnyardness in the taste as compared to the aroma, but definitely not overwhelming.

This is one of those weird beers. It's not going to rank as one of my tops on BA, but it is definitely one that I would prefer to drink above many that "rank" higher. I love the taste - again, it won't rank as high as something like Supplication, but it is something I would pick first. One of the best beers RR makes.

Consumed - 4/16/2010

05-08-2010 22:44:17 | More by hayesez
msubulldog25

Oregon

4.55/5  rDev -0.2%

Whew, glad I found these notes...

Poured to a slender Argyle wine taster in the earliest hours of April 6th. I brought this (a 375ml caged/corked bottle, Batch 002) with me to Louisiana, where I had hoped to share a few sips with my mom. A little too late, though, as she slipped away into a semi-coma earlier in the evening... a grateful 'cheers' for the time we shared that weekend.

A: Uncorked with a soft pop and poured like liquid bread, a hazy golden-orange, 'apricot' colored. A brief fizz and roil, followed by a thin swirling veil and pencil-thin white ring. Behind that dense cloudiness, there seem to be a several decent streams of carbonation.

S: Brazen 'sweet-tart' greeting; it tingles in the nose with citrus pith, rotting hay ('barn' aroma) and a fleeting clover/mint sweetness. Finishing 'oak barrel' woodsy tannins, white grape.

T: Biting tartness and, later, a chalky dryness. Unripened berries and crisp green apples, both sour and introduce some sweetness. A pithy lemonade, an earthy tang that hints at stronger goat cheeses (???, but the bacterial/mineral base makes sense...). Complex (no surprise) and intense, pretty outstanding.

M: An upfront lip-pucker and tongue-curl. Cellaring seems to have reduced crispness/carbonation; the resulting milder feel is surprisingly smoothed, the body medium/light. Some medicinal dryness in a lasting finish.

D: A 'wow' American Wild, vibrant and refined over time...I'd love to have this again (and have since picked up later versions of Beatification for similar aging), but it's a style that is best in small quantities and/or shared with someone special.

Thanks to jgaston for sending this bottle back in mid-2008...glad I cellared it for a couple years.

05-01-2010 18:47:58 | More by msubulldog25
DmanGTR

4.97/5  rDev +9%

Thanks to an awesome BA who poured me the last few oz of his bottle. Review from notes on 4/24/10

A - Poured a nicely hazy lemon yellow/tangerine with a frothy white head. Not much retention, as expected with most wild ales. Sparkles in the sun. Wow. 4.5

S - This is simply fantastic. So much going on here, yet I feel I'll be doing this beer injustice by attempting to describe it. But here goes. A crisp tart aroma similar to extremely tart lemons, a touch of that "barnyard" funkiness like a bit of earthy mushrooms, a very small bit of grass and a bit of oak. This is simply excellent. 5.0

T - Extraordinary tartness explodes with citrusy and a faint kiwi-like flavor. Followed closely with that distinct "barnyard" earthiness and a long, sour finish. I wish my vocabulary for wild and sour beers was better. 5.0

M - Light, crisp, well carbonated. So incredibly smooth. There is no "bite", nor is it lacking carbonation in any way. So well balanced. 5.0

D - What do you think?! This is phenomenal. Truly an enlightening experience in my beer ventures. 5.0

04-27-2010 15:05:05 | More by DmanGTR
punkrkr27

4.13/5  rDev -9.4%

Batch 002. Hazy, yellow gold pour with a small short lived, fizzy, white head. Oaky funk aroma with notes of butterscotch, grass, herbs, bread and yeast. Immensly sour flavor upfront with some white grape hints, butterscotch, slight oak on the finish, lemon, grass, sipcy hops, apple and yeast. Medium body. Very dry finish and livlely carbonation.

04-13-2010 18:54:39 | More by punkrkr27
jdklks

4.8/5  rDev +5.3%

Pours a very light golden with a tinge of amber and burnt orange. The head is off white, but doesn't stick around long enough to admire. The smell is great. Lots of citrusy fruits, mostly lemon. Some oakiness and even a little alcohol to complement the funky brett.

Wow! RR sours continue to absolutely blow me away. This may be the sourest one I've tried. This thing is like drinking straight grapefruit juice aged in oak barrels with lemon added along with dissolved sweet tarts and that ever so special brett element that gives a barnyard/earthy character.

The mouthfeel is also great. Very light, but always (with RR) well carbonated. Drinkability too, is as always, through the roof.

03-29-2010 04:37:21 | More by jdklks
TonyBrew

4.35/5  rDev -4.6%

Shared at a sour tasting/brewing at a friend's house. We brewed a wild sour and between everyone we had about 23 bottles of various sours including Cuvee De Tomme, Isabel, Cuvee De Rank, Brute, and many more big sours. We then took the last bit of each bottle (about an 1")and added it to the sour we brewed. Will not be ready for bottling until next fall/winter but cannot wait to see what comes of it.
Had this in a snifter. A golden straw like color with a nice amount of carbonation that kept a very small ring around the top. A creamy vanilla and banana (major banana)aroma with the obvious brett character as well. Loved this aroma! Major tartness in taste. After a few sips I could taste the oak and wine in it with some lemon/lime hints. An excellent big sour taste. This is a real sour, unlike wanna be sours such as Moaten. A "light" body with much weaker carbonation then expected, but very well balanced especially considering all that is in it. I expected some vinegar but seemed like none considering how big of a sour it is. Anyone who wants to see what a sour beer is, you must try this one! I love this beer as one of my top three sours ever!! A must try.

03-28-2010 18:18:07 | More by TonyBrew
femALEist

3.85/5  rDev -15.6%

Had this on tap at Toronado during SF Beer week.
Beatification by RR is a wild ale that is 100% spontaneously fermented beer using the oldest barrels that no longer have any wine flavor or oak flavor left in them. 5.5% abv. It poured a cloudy sun yellow. It smelled of sour, oak and Brett. It tasted sour! Lemon, lemon, lemon sour, Brett and super dry. It is one tart beer! Reminiscent of Isabelle Proximus, a one note incredibly sour beer.

03-25-2010 19:23:22 | More by femALEist
PeprSprYoFace

4.7/5  rDev +3.1%

My 200th Review!!!

Batch 002

Pours a cloudy golden color. Hefeweizen-ish. No head, no lacing.

Aroma smells Vinous. Very wine like. Lots of funk and tart aromas.

Taste is awesome. This one is super tart. Very lemony tart with lots of Brett Funk.

Mouthfeel is very dry on the Palate with a nice high carb.

Overall an amazing beer that everyone should seek out. It's gotten pretty tart over the course of a year or so so if you want to age some, be known that this is what it does.

03-25-2010 02:06:10 | More by PeprSprYoFace
steadydose

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Batch 2

A: I poured the entire 375 bottle carefully into an oversized wine glass, making sure to leave all the yeast and sediment behind. Beatification had an amazing orange, golden apricot color. High clarity, leaving a minimal ring of white foam on the surface of the beer. Bright and beautiful appearance.

S:Lots of good ol funk in the nose: goaty, cheesy, tart, lemon. So much complexity. Just an amazing smell for a wild ale.

T:Starts of tart, acidic, lots of clean lemon, sour citrus, with the faintests hints of oak, especially as the beer warmed up to room temp. I couldn't imagine this beer getting any better.

M: Smooth, clean, soft carbonation and a dry finish. I would have liked a touch more carbonation, but at this point I am just looking for something to complain about.

D:This batch is ridiculously good. So clean and tart. I have had both batch 2 and 3 a few times, and I have to say batch 2 maybe a little more tart than batch 3. Although any version of this beer is simply outstanding.

03-15-2010 20:37:53 | More by steadydose
ThreeWiseMen

4.47/5  rDev -2%

Split amongst friends at a recent gathering. 750mL Batch 003 bottle.

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: First pour was crystal clear, but each successive one came out more and more hazy. I was trying to be careful, but oh well. Body was straw gold in color and displayed pretty active carbonation. A hair-thin ring of white bubbles sat on top for the entire session and didn't drag any lacing.

Smell: Huge banana! Wow! Banana, vanilla, cream, and lemon all come forth in harmony. As the beer warms fresh dough, peanut shells, and finally bret come out. What a fantastic combination of aromas! Easy 5.0!

Taste: Strong mouth-puckering tartness on the first sip. Once acclimated, I get lemon, sparkling wine, oak, lime, hay, and other farmhouse flavors. Honey? Maybe. Not vinegary at all. I love the big sourness!

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied with high yet soft carbonation. Very sour - leaves the mouth feeling pretty worn out. Mouth-puckering at times. All in all though, pretty easy-going for a sour. No vinegary sting.

Drinkability: By far the best light-colored sour I've had. Complex, intense, and tangy. The high sourness hurts the drinkability a bit. But damn... I still can't get over that smell! Highly, highly recommended!

03-07-2010 20:17:55 | More by ThreeWiseMen
Lunch

Maryland

3.6/5  rDev -21.1%

Served from a 750ml bottle at EBF 2010 in Boston, MA into a tasting glass at the appropriate temperature (02/20/10).

A: Really a unique and beautiful beer. Almost like a neon yellow with a slightly off-white head that quick dissolves in a skin.

S: Wow, this is going to be a sour beverage. I must say that I am just now diving in the world of sours and I can certainly appreciate the style, but I am developing a taste and smell for it as I go along. A good degree of funk of citrus, having a heard time with this one.

T: The smell was funky, but the taste is out of this world. Perhaps the most unique tasting beer I have ever tried. Seems very well-crafted, but it is so sour and funky. Lots of citrus going on as well as great tartness and no sense at all of vinegar which is good thing, for me at least. I feel fortunate to have be able to try this and certainly appreciate it, but I don't feel that my palate is developed enough to pull out all of its complexities.

M: Mouthfeel is quite nice and somewhat lively while being medium-bodied.

D: The extremely sourness is the only limiting factor.

Overall this beer was a true experience and a great leap for me into sours. Well-crafted from a unique brewery and certainly one I would like to revisit in the future.

02-23-2010 21:11:36 | More by Lunch
somabeer

4.97/5  rDev +9%

Batch 2

Poured from a bottle at monk's kettle

It poured a nice lite yellow, an off gold heather straw color. With a mighty funk odor presiding from the glass. This beer was super tart and super dry, with a strong citric taste. There was also a very bretty taste. The taste was very malleable, varying from sip to sip, jumping from the barnyard brett to a bone dry lemon making it a pleasure to drink. That combined with the low ABV, lack of sweetness and the pleasant fuzziness, I could have drunken this all day. Yet this review still comes out a bit drunk. Go figure!

02-23-2010 10:33:22 | More by somabeer
drabmuh

Maryland

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

Batch PH3 (I think). This is the fourth sour from RR I've had (Temptation, Supplication, Consecration) and this was by far my favorite.

Beer is yellow and clear. Carbonation is moderate to low and forms a two fingered head of medium and small white bubbles. Head falls away leaving a lot of lacing behind.

Beer is a sour bomb. Totally citric and acetic but does not devolve into vinegar as some of these lighter bodied ones do. Its medium to low in body, the carbonation is important in the mouth. Drinkability is the really high and its the best tasting sour I've had. Tartness really hits me in the corners of my mouth but overall a great and solid sour. I'm shocked its not rated higher. I'll be seeking this out again.

02-22-2010 03:42:51 | More by drabmuh
WesWes

4.65/5  rDev +2%

The beer pours a pale gold color with a 1/2" white head that fades to lacing. The aroma is outstanding. It has a light, pale and wheat malt scent with a mild sourness; very well done. The taste is awesome as hell. Wow, what a great sour flavor. It's light and easy drinking with a mouth-puckering sourness. The mouthfeel is fine. It is a low bodied beer with adequate/good carbonation. This is a damn fine wild ale. It's no secret why this one is in the top 100.

02-21-2010 23:17:56 | More by WesWes
cleverbeername

4.33/5  rDev -5%

55*, tulip, by bottle. Tried it at Monk's Kettle in SF, but had originally ordered Pliny (on tap, and they were out of it) and was up sold into it. not sure retail price, but after it was poured found out it was $35 for a 375, which sort of set the bar high. I believe this is only the second wild ale i have ever tried.

A Gold and cider like, almost neon like redbull but lighting was poor. No head.

S intense flanders style, hiddely ho neighbor! Too much going on to even pinpoint. Sweet and sour sauce, floral, tropical fruit, dankness, etc.

T Green apple warhead (toward the end right before it sweetens up) sour, tart, long lasting and intense. Wife stated and i quote, "it tastes like sour punch straws with piss on them." awesome.

D a great second beer, needs a show stater. Too much and too intense to start with. I have little experience with this style of beer, but it was an enjoyable and wild time. I dont think i would buy this in 750 format, i think a little goes a long way.

02-16-2010 23:36:05 | More by cleverbeername
vacax

4.7/5  rDev +3.1%

Batch 002. Brilliant gold in color with a light amount of cloudiness. Some head present, but on the less lustrous side of things. Aromas is citric, lemony, acidic, floral, and vinous. The spontaneous in-barrel fermentation lends a more powerful sour and funk than Russian River's other brews. The taste is tongue pleasingly sour, with citrus, lemon, pedio funk, and slightly earthy on the finish. Moderately bodied with a matching amount of carbonation. This is a very tasty beer, my favorite sour from Russian River.

02-14-2010 20:24:35 | More by vacax
Jmoore50

4.63/5  rDev +1.5%

Damn it. At this point in my drinking career I almost want to hate something Russian River comes out with. Everything I have had from them is stellar. I might go as far as to say that Vinnie Cilurzo is an artist.
This bottle was batch 003.

The bottle opened with an aggressive 'pop' and foamed up a bit. It pours a very cloudy blonde, and the head is white as snow. The head is a very fine carbonation, with small uniform bubbles. The head does not show itself for very long, but leaves itself to a white ring around the glass. Slight alcoholic legs with no lacing. It is a cloudy beer, and it also had some yeast floaters.

The smell is mellow barnyard, must, lemon peel, lots of oak, and those dang bugs that make everything sour.

The taste, for me, is exactly how I like my American Wilds. This is very tart, and has loads of citrus-y lemon characters to it. The lemon is so pronounced in this that I would describe it as one of the main characters. Some oak in the finish with my tongue doing backflips over the tartness. Mouth watering. There is a wine flavor in this too that is a background flavor that is noticeable on the second few sips.

My tongue flees in horror! I love the tart, mouth watering, sour flavor that this one has. Sweet notes in the beginning. A good carbonation that just sews the sourness into the palate. Dry on the end of the palate, but mouthwatering none the less. So overwhelmingly sour that the first few sips had some time in between them to let my palate breath.

The drinkability is very good on this one. It is a palate destroyer, so there is no use in having this be the first beer at a tasting. It is so sour that it actually hurts the drinkability. I kept reaching for it anticipating the palate killer.

This is a delicious brew that I have been wanting to try for a while. I cannot say enough good things about Russian River, a brewery which has shot into a far lead for my favorite brewery.

Cheers
J

02-11-2010 06:38:15 | More by Jmoore50
womencantsail

4.88/5  rDev +7%

A bottle from Batch 002 opened up by Bobby yesterday during our tasting (you can never have too many Russian River wild ales).

A: A disappointingly quiet popping of the cork on this bottle. Despite that, the beer seems to still be fairly well carbonated. The pour itself is a hazy light golden color with a thin white head.

S: The nose is still very, very acidic. The lemony, lactic tartness is really the star of the show with some white grapes and green apple notes as well. There's really not much in the way of funk, but that's not really a problem for me.

T: The flavor picks up where the nose leaves off with a really intense lemon sourness. There are some flavors of green apple and white grape as the nose would indicate, but this bottle is not quite as puckering as others I've had.

M: The level of carbonation is just about perfect, with great effervescence really allowing the acid to really come through. The finish is very sour and dry, as you would expect.

D: I've always been a huge fan of the intense sourness that Beatification has, and this is no exception. I always enjoy the opportunity to open up a bottle.

02-01-2010 19:45:37 | More by womencantsail
mutterfudder

New Hampshire

4.4/5  rDev -3.5%

Batch 002, poured from a 350 into an Allagash Tulip. Opened with hardly a pop.

A - Semi-hazy straw color. Little to no head despite an aggressive pour. The beer retains a very thin ring around the glass, which is somewhat effervescent.

S - Citrus, cracked pepper and hay. Not as strong in the nose as I expected.

T - Tart, but not outrageously so. Lime and red wine flavors, funky cheese, a mild peppercorn flavor and a smooth finish.

M/D - Nice and crisp on the mouth, and it's very drinkable.

This has to be the most balanced sour I've had. The beer is not overly sharp in the finish and doesn't have a huge bite. It's just a solid, balanced beer. Very nice.

01-24-2010 20:38:35 | More by mutterfudder
barleywinefiend

Washington

4.35/5  rDev -4.6%

A: Poured a hazed straw yellowish color with light white head.

S: Nose is funkdafied and sour, yet soft overall.

T: Taste is dry, tart, lemon, horseblanket, hay and a little hot on the end.

M: Mouthfeel is tart, lemonish and dry.

O: Very good sour.

01-24-2010 14:49:56 | More by barleywinefiend
satowns

Colorado

3.88/5  rDev -14.9%

Thanks to KTolley for sharing this prize...limited notes taken at a after-holiday party.

Big aromatics of white pepper and peaches.

Massive tartness up front; finishes very dry. Nice base malt flavor balances the sourness.

This beer was a hit for the night with wide range of beers. id love to get my hands on a few bottles to monitor how this beer develops with age.

01-22-2010 03:13:20 | More by satowns
OlieIPA

3.53/5  rDev -22.6%

A Batch 3 - 750 mL bottle that was poured into tulip glass at approximately 48 degrees.

A: A crystal clear golden colored brew with nice head retention, reforming itself relatively quick after a vigorous swirl, and mild lacing.

S: Tart, earthy, and perhaps banana are the main aromas I pick up. Some oak qualities come out a bit more as the beer warms up, but doesn't seem to be the main focus of the smell.

T: A lot of citrus and sour tones, along with an extremely robust oak quality. Many times, I thought it came off too harsh and deterred me from taking additional sips.

M: Good amount carbonation, medium to light body, and slightly dry.

D: The alcohol is hidden extremely well, but the strong and harsh woody finish was hard to tolerate.

Overall: Had anticipated more out of this beer, but a decent beer for the style. Not sure I'll be seeking this one out again, but worth a try. Cheers!

01-17-2010 04:39:37 | More by OlieIPA
mjl21

4.33/5  rDev -5%

375ml bottle. Batch 002. Purchased at the brewery when it was first released and kept at cellar temperature. Poured into a tulip glass. Comes in at 6%.

A-Pours a semi clear straw yellow. It has a fairly thin off white head that quickly turns into a thin ring around the top of the glass. There is a small amount of bubbles that rise from the bottom.

S-It has a very sour/tart aroma and is not overly heavy on the funk. It starts out with plenty of mouthwatering tart lemon and a touch of barnyard funk. White grapes also are noticeable. It has a musty wine barrel smell that reminds me of the air in a wine cave.

T-It starts out with a really nice tart fruit flavor comprised of lemon and white grapes. It is quite tart throughout. When it hits the back of my mouth it reminds me in a lot of ways of how condensed lemon juice from a squeeze bottle tastes like. Every few sips I get a flavor that reminds me on an undercooked popcorn kernel. It also has a taste reminiscent of a nice sharp and pungent reserve bleu cheese. There is also wood flavor from the barrels.

M-Medium bodied. It is tart and dry. The carbonation is on the low end of the medium spectrum.

D-It is definitely a tart beer. A 375 ml bottle is plenty. I would like a touch more carbonation.

One of my favorite sours from Russian River and probably one of their least accessible for those new to the style. A little goes a long way. Always worth seeking out.

01-13-2010 22:30:33 | More by mjl21
russpowell

Oklahoma

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

Cheers to colonelforbin for this one!

Batch 003 opens with a slight pop, pours an effervescent golden honey color with a pinky of ivory colored head. Not much head retention or lacing

S: Sourness, hay & barnyard in this, just intensifies as this warms

T: Lemon tartness, green apple sourness & a bit of hay up front. Tartness, green apples oakyness & lemon & hay are all there as this warms. Finishes with puckery tartness, oaky dryness, a bit of balsamic vinegar acidity & sooo much sourness

MF: Light/medium bodied with slight carbonation & much dryness

Drinks very easy, always happy to try anything from these guys, I think I prefer these heavier & darker for optimal effect, none of the RR sours are slouches though. If you like big-time funk & sourness, this is your huckleberry...

01-10-2010 00:04:52 | More by russpowell