Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

BeatificationBeatification

Wants: 2,657
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006)
Sort by:  Latest | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beatification Alström Bros
drumrboy22

Colorado

4.1/5  rDev -10.1%

Batch 002. Poured from a 375mL bottle into a Russian River chalice. Beer was a yellow straw color with a very small, quickly fading white head. No lacing and very light carbonation.

Aroma was vinegar along with notes of grapefruit and other citrus fruits.

Taste was pretty tart and funky. Heavy lemon and grapefruit with some acidic green apple notes.

Mouthfeel is very dry. Similar to a nice gueuze.

Great beer, especially for fans of wild ales. Highly recommended.

06-25-2009 03:13:13 | More by drumrboy22
HiAIPA

Maine

4.33/5  rDev -5%

Batch 003 poured from a 750ml bottle. Thanks Chris, you da man for opening this beauty from the cellar!

I have been wanting to try this wild ale for some time. Nice fine bubbled head, nice gold color. Smells of citrus and the best thing I can describe it as is TANG, before you add water and dilute it. Sour funk on the nose but moreso on the palate. There's a sweet/sour component where the brett/saccaros mingle that is very unique. Feels light on the mouth, but very complex. Excellent sour.

06-21-2009 22:51:47 | More by HiAIPA
drgonzo3705

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%

A: Pours a hazy yellow color with a thin white filmy head.

S: Vinegary lemon zest and tartness all going together nicely here.

T: Lemon tart are big here. Slight vinegar taste as well.

M: Medium body with little carbonation and hardly any hops.
D: For the ABV this is highly drinkable. I love the tartness balanced by the lemon zest. Definitely worth the drink.

06-20-2009 00:33:35 | More by drgonzo3705
rayjay

Hawaii

4.3/5  rDev -5.7%

Batch 002, 375 mL corked bottle. Thanks go to Taynor in some sort of BIF.

These Russian River barrel aged wild ales are usually pretty dull looking and this fits right in. Tiny head that dissipates right away and no lace at all. Pilsner colored with chill haze.

Gueuze-like aroma, very grainy and earthy. Not crazy funky, but definite funk-ification.

Flavor is complex and fruity. Lots of fresh strawberry flavor. Brett is a no-brainer. Fresh squeezed white grapefruit juice with a tart punch. Puckering, but by no means brutally sour. The flavors all work in perfect harmony. A very complex and drinkable beer.

No much carbonation, so the mouthfeel is a step above mineral water. No stickyness.

Quite delicious and refreshing, making for a very drinkable beer. Big brownie points for designing a hard-to-make beer, especially consistently. Cheers!

06-17-2009 04:43:02 | More by rayjay
raoulduke37

4.43/5  rDev -2.9%

Batch 003. I didn't know what to expect going into this experience, but this definitely blew me away on all fronts. Good Lord, what an eye-opener. Pours a hazy orange and very murky champagne-esque consistency. Nice two-finger head quickly dissipates leaving an intriguing beer. Dare I venture any closer?

As soon as the cork was popped the bretts and wildness of this beer jumped out at me. I absolutely love this smell - acidic, vinegary, EXTREMELY green apples freshly cut, and yes, now I know what the hell "horse-blanket" means. Man, I'm terrified in the most wonderful wonderful way.

First taste - grapefruit, lemon, citrus, citrus, citrus. Extremely tart and acidic. But something happens at the end - something very earthy. If you can imagine eating dirt as a good experience, then that's what it tastes like. These beer tastes like it's been around since the beginning of brewing. I really love it.

I am very happy that I got a chance to try this. I would love to see what it's like on tap. Right now I must say thanks and give credit to Healthy Spirits in SF for having the only bottle in the whole area (I looked) at the time that I was visiting.

This whole experience reminded me of the first time that I was in Toronado SF and someone handed the bartender a tulip of sour beer. It may have been Beatification, and, upon drinking it, he made the face that people in middle school used to make when eating sour "Warheads." Afterwards, he put the glass down and said, "That's my favorite beer." I think I understand that experience a little better now.

05-29-2009 22:53:03 | More by raoulduke37
biegaman

Ontario (Canada)

4.08/5  rDev -10.5%

"No rule exists for such compositions; they are at the mercy of the artist's genius"
- Grimod de la Reyniere

Over-ripened mango dotted with tiny flakes of salt. The carbonation must be extremely fine, if at all existent. The surface is left bare with only the faintest trim. Its complexion is sullied although clarity is left largely unhindered. The beer actually takes on a bright daisy yellow tone when exposed to the afternoon sunlight.

That the beer is aged in used wine barrels is not at all inconsequential. The brewery may insist they only use the "oldest barrels that no longer have any wine flavor or oak flavor left in them" but even sitting a full foot away I can smell something very similar to a dry white wine. Closer inspection with nostrils right up against the glass confirms, although more vinegary and tart notes also become apparent.

Having been to Belgium before and there having tried plenty of Lambics, I'm having deja vu. This beer (like all the barrel aged offerings from Russian River) were inspired by a trip to Belgium and are intended as interpretations of that country's spontaneously fermented ales. In this regard Russian River succeeds (better than anyone else, at any rate) in replicating the beers - but not of course duplicating them.

Beatification seems, on the whole, not quite as dry nor as tart as many Lambics. It does offer, however, plenty more funk. Acidic, vinegary notes of wilted citrus, wild honey and over-ripened orchard fruit abound as do the shared characteristics to a dry, sparkling white wine. According to the brewery's bottle log, this batch (#2) is considered "ultra funky". Indeed, it's probably one of the "funkiest" beers I can recall having.

The contents were put in bottle 29/02/08 but its two comprising batches were laying around in the barrels for some considerable time before that, 19 and 13 months respectively. Given the uniqueness of each batch, it's hard to say how this bottle, now at age one and a half, compares to fresher samples. That said, I see no reason to doubt the 4 hourglass lifespan Russian River labeled it with.

Fascinating a beer though Beatification may be, it is (admittedly) largely thanks to those few Belgian brewers who continue the tradition of spontaneously fermented ales that such knowledge and technique were handed down (and then west about 5500 miles) to one of North America's most innovative and talented brewmaster. No wonder it's called "Beatification", this beer sure makes me happy!

05-26-2009 18:57:36 | More by biegaman
SPLITGRIN

4.47/5  rDev -2%

An inch and a half of ghostly white head sits on top of a golden yellow wheat colored body that is refreshing in itself. The nose is really exciting with such balance between the acidic sour and funky wheat tones. Sour cherries and sugary candied feel are really there. Shazam! Sharply tart as you take first sip, vinegary and acidic with lemony zest up front on the tongue, the sour feel really hangs on to both sides of the tongue. Now this really mellows out and turns sustainably powdery. Mouthfeel is early apple crisp and really enjoyable. initially the sour seems a bit strong but it quickly becomes lovely. Very nice.

05-24-2009 22:42:13 | More by SPLITGRIN
Phyl21ca

Quebec (Canada)

4.25/5  rDev -6.8%

Bottle: Poured a bright golden color ale with some white hue and a generous pure white bubbly head with average retention and minimal lacing. Aroma of oak with some lactic sourness and some funky barnyard notes. Taste is quite complex with mix of sour lactic notes, some oak notes and some funky barnyard notes as well. I must admit that this is pretty close to some Lambic brewed in Belgium while lacking some complexity. Full body with great carbonation. I would love to have access to this on a regular basis.

05-22-2009 02:55:30 | More by Phyl21ca
organicbrewer

Batch #2

Poured into a generic Tulip

A-Deep gold. Brilliantly clear. Low eggshell head.

S-Straw, horseblanket. A ton of barnyard funkyness. Old oak. Like the best lambic. This beer reminds me of the barrel room at cantilion.

T-FUNK!!! Super sour. Mouthpuckeringly so. Some old wood but not too much. Some bile... in a good way. More barnyard. Nothing in the way of hops.

M-Pretty dry. Enough carbonation to keep it lively but much less then your average american beer. No alcohol noticable.

D- I could do this all night. Super sour though so if you're not into that then you might have a problem. ISO:

05-16-2009 01:21:14 | More by organicbrewer
Onibubba

3.85/5  rDev -15.6%

I have been waiting over a year for an occasion special enough to open this bottle. An advance copy of the new album by my absoute favorite band, Current 93 marks such an occasion. Opens with less of a pop than I was anticipating and pours into the Magic Chouffetulip a deep honeyed gold. The head is very slight, and even with coaxing never rises to more than a quarter inch. Smells are slighter than I expected. A soapy, wood soaked funkiness, and an unidentifiable sourness. Taste follows suite. A sour beer to be sure, but not lemony nor apple like in taste. Simply sour, mouthwateringly so. This is not a sparkly, high on the tongue beer. Mouthfeel is smooth and coating. The sourness lingers, the mouth waters. As the beer warms, smells become much more assertive and pronounced, geueuze like. Drinkability is good, but the sour woodiness keeps this an indulgent sipper.

All in all, a delicious beer, but not as good as the Temptation I had previously. The Current 93, Aleph at Hallucinatory Mountain, is a Sunn O like rocker by the way, as unique as their previous offering. Much like this beer. God bless Russian River and Current 93.

05-15-2009 22:35:45 | More by Onibubba
JohnQVegas

Tennessee

4.43/5  rDev -2.9%

Bottle into red wine glass, Batch 002. Thanks to Damien (Solomon420) for giving me the chance to try this one!

Pours a brilliant clear gold, thin white head that turns quickly into a soapy layer.

Nose is great. So much unfolding as you inhale... lot of barnyard, even heading into cat pee, beautiful notes of vanilla, pears, white grapes, all meshed so well together. It's the integration of the aromas that are so impressive with this ones.

Taste slips off that velvet glove and just wallops you with one of the most intense, brazenly funked-up sour experiences I've had. Up front, you get clobbered with a nice array of richly funky/sour flavors - wet leather, barnyard, a musty lemony sourness, quite aciditic but held in check by the fantastic funk. Finish has a buttery richness that hints of lemon underneath the lingering leathery funk. The finish does more to lend some balance to the big funky, sour slap in the face than any other aspect of the beer. To me, this is to Gueuze what an American IPA is to its English cousin - a bit more brash, equally complex in a different way but less refined as well.

Mouthfeel is superb. Rich and full, yet some light and dancing, lingering beautifully on the palate. Lip-smackingly good.

Drinkability is really nice. I savored every sip of this bottle, but unlike, say, Brute or Fou'Foune, I don't know if this is one I could down an entire 750 of. Course, I just realized I finished off this 375 well before I expected to, so...

All in all, a pretty fantastic beer. Definitely a balls-to-the-wall sour - this is not one I'd use to introduce someone to the style, even if I could get it off my local store's shelf. But yowza, what an experience.

05-09-2009 19:01:25 | More by JohnQVegas
twelvsies

Maine

4.22/5  rDev -7.5%

Batch 002. Thanks (again) to sonicdescent for a great trade. Pours a beautiful vibrant yellow color, orange highlights, slightly hazed. Real bright. Unripe lemons, barnyard and hay, funky bugs and yeast, grassy very dry aroma. Thinking I'm in for quite the ride here. Ok this beer is a little crazy if you ask me. It is just over the top sour. Pungent brutal sourness. Usually your tastebuds get used to the sour after the first initial sips, but this beer just keeps shocking me everytime I take a sip. With out a doubt the most brazenly sour beer I have ever had. Ballsy. I dig it. Lemon rind, green apple, wheat grass, hay, dust. Remember sour candy like warheads or cry babies? This beer is like an adult version of that. Excellent acidity. It reminds me of the most sour thing I've ever had, which were these little weird fruits called calamondins that grew on a tree in my grandma's backyard in Florida. I used to eat them all the time as a little fellow. They are like tart, acrid little oranges and they taste like this beer. Really an amazing feat in brewing to get so much flavor into one beer. I have to knock the drinkability only a tad because it's so outrageously sour, but it works here. I'm shocked.

05-08-2009 16:29:52 | More by twelvsies
CoolJosh

4.35/5  rDev -4.6%

Bottle very generously provided through trade by Jwelsch. This was Batch 003. I was given a bottle prior to obtaining this one by my good buddy jgap, through a stellar trade. I can't wait to try the batch that Justin sent to me, but I'd stuck between aging it and wanting to open it every time I see it in my cellar/closet.

Pours a beautiful glowing yellow with orange tones. White foamy head that fades fast, but leaves some yeast sediment on top

I swear my nose catches a ton of scents flourishing out of the glass without holding it up to my nose. White grape, orange, more pronounced cherry, tart lemon, a lot of brett funkiness that combines very nicely with the oak aging that this beer endured.

On the palate, a little on the sweeter side but still incredibly tart. Huge lemon and white grapes, with boat loads of dry grapes and other tannins, and some really sour cherry accent flavors. I can see where the oak aging comes into play but its not as pronounced. Orange is present mid-sip. The beer is a little a thinner then similar beers but that's not say this is a negative aspect.
D 4

05-05-2009 03:27:04 | More by CoolJosh
gford217

Georgia

4.08/5  rDev -10.5%

375mL bottle, batch 2, poured into a tulip.

Pours an ever-so-slightly hazy golden orange with a creamy white head that settles in as a small cap fed by the bubbles continually streaming up from the bottom. Lacing is good.

The aroma is a great mixture of tart and sweet fruits with a hint of funk. The tartness comes from lemons up front before the sweetness of pears and maybe apples come in as well as a hint of light malts. The funk is present but very, very faint.

The taste turns the tartness and funk up a notch over the aroma. The initial blast on the tongue is a combination of tart lemons and vinegar acidity. The sweet fruits are there but it takes the beer warming up a bit before I can pick out the sweeter aspects with pears again coming through. The finish brings back the acidity and funk and leaves a puckering aftertaste.

The mouthfeel is medium bodied with lots of carbonation and extremely crisp, clean and dry in the finish. Very white wine-like on the palate.

This is another great sour from Russian River and while I probably don't like it quite as much as some of their others, it's still a solid beer.

05-02-2009 19:34:54 | More by gford217
BEERchitect

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

I've been sitting on this Batch 003 since Clvand0 brought it back from the Land 'O Liberals, about two months ago. Might be the longest two months of my life. It's finally going down!

In stupid fashon, I pop the cork and take a second to examine the cork. Meanwhile the beer decides to leap out before I can get my chalice underneath. Ok, after trying to capture as much of the beer as I can, the session begins. A bright straw colored beer carries a ton of carbonation that continuously fuels the 1/4" persistent head and helps with a lot of eventual lacing. Mild haze which accumulates as each subsequent pours are made. The look reminds me of Duvel but without that rediculous head.

You don't even need to get your nose that close to begin the study of tart citrus fruits, funky mustiness, and acidity. Lemons, grapefruit, citrus rinds combine with cidery, vineous, and vinegar notes to give the impressions of white wine, wood aging, and grandma's basement. Maltiness takes a far back seat, but there is a detection of herbal and maybe citrus hops. With all the acidity and fruitiness, the beer's aroma remains clean and turns away from earthiness or dirt notes.

Flavors are a direct carryover from the nose except for the slight rise in malt pilsner malt flavor which provides a stable foundation for the crazy yeast. Flavors favor the lemons, citrus zest, and acidity while beginning to abandon the vinegar and cider taste. Rising notes of saltiness and sweat come in and give even more complexity to the beer's depth. Still clean, crisp, and refreshing taste.

The beer remains quite thin throughout, resting only on a timid pillow of pilsner malt to add a touch of creaminess and fullness. Otherwise, a mouth coating layer of tartness and acidity washes over and lingers for quite some time. While hop flavor went unnoticed, the bitterness of which melds nicely with the sourness of the citrus and bitterness of fruit rinds.

What is fantastic about this beer is the very clean sourness that avoids the cheesy, grassy, earthy flavors without loosing the complex Brett notes. Certainly not one-dimentional. But like most great sours, the astringency and sourness hurts a bit in texture and drinkability. Still I'll be hard pressed to ever have a better sour. If you had told me that this was a Berlinerweiss, I would have beleived you.

04-30-2009 02:16:35 | More by BEERchitect
beachbum1975

4.35/5  rDev -4.6%

Batch # 3 - 750ml brown bottle corked and caged - newtonty brought it to DrewOSU's house and we split it together. Thanks, Garrett!

Pours a cloudy, dull yellow with orange hues. At first, a ½ inch white, creamy and frothy head forms but quickly dissipates. A small halo and frothy skimming floats atop during the duration of the drink.

Smells complexly of lemons, banana, light funk - like straw or horse blanket and some pineapple.

Tastes... WOW - lots of sour citrus like the nose... Grapefruits in the mix, too. Light to medium bodied (for a citrus) with medium to full flavor. The sour hits my tongue on tasting to the point that I can feel my jaw react to the pang, very intense. This one's a heavy hitter, lots of sour and sits heavy on the tongue in the aftertaste.

Medium carbonation and highly enjoyable - recommened.

04-30-2009 00:26:28 | More by beachbum1975
dirtylou

Washington

4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

6/12/11 - batch 001-PH1 - another one obtained from lou91 years ago.

A tart wonder - upped scores to an even 4.5

---
375ml bottle, obtained from lou91 a few years back

batch 001 - a gem

appearance: popped the cork on this one and poured into my hopleaf tulip, beautiful bright orange-amber body with a healthy white crest...very bright

smell: aromas strike up comparisons to belgian ales at first whiff...a flash of very wild yeast, sweet and floral

taste: immediately twists the tongue...rather tart with hits of green apple, apple cider vinegar, sugar, lime. This is a lovely sour with great complexity

mouthfeel: dry, tart with a lingering kick...palate dominating

drinkability: pretty strong

04-19-2009 21:38:40 | More by dirtylou
mdagnew

United Kingdom (Northern Ireland)

4.22/5  rDev -7.5%

375ml bottle bought online from The Cracked Kettle, Amsterdam... Batch 002...

Poured a hazy golden yellow colour. White head poured pretty loose and frothy then faded quickly to patchy covering with thick edging... no carbonation... some light lacing...

Aroma - Very strong lambic brett yeastiness, sharp spicy fruits (light grapefruits, lemons, sour apples), musty barnyard / wet hay aromas, light vinegary notes, freshly cut wood, very light pale malts, some basil notes... outstanding...

Taste - Severe mouth puckering sour lemons and grapefruits, salty, light vinegar hints, sour (cooking) apples, yeasty, faint sweet after notes, grapes, light vanilla, floral, grassy, talcum powder, some woody notes, musty, strong champagne like hints... again outstanding...

Feel - Very sharp and dry... light body... pretty drinkable considering the tartness... thirst quenchingly good...

Overall - An outstanding wild ale - one of the best i've tried and as good as any Belgian example...

04-16-2009 13:16:29 | More by mdagnew
BeerStine

4.03/5  rDev -11.6%

750ml bottle poured (several times) into a large tulip glass. Batch 003.

Well, when I went to open the bottle the cork came off like a champagne bottle, hit my ceiling, then proceeded to foam over. Definately should have let it settle before I awoke the sleeping dragon. Just a disclaimer as it may have affected the review...

Pours a whitish orange. Almost looks like a wheat beer with a thin bright white head. Smells of citrus and earth. Definitely can smell the malts in this one. The smell is somewhat mild. Taste starts sweet and is followed up by an intense sour. There is a lot of citrus flavor in this beer (apples and grape flavors all add to the citrus flavor). Hops kick in after you swallow and leave a bittering aftertaste. Barrel aging comes through nicely too via the earthy taste. Mothfeel is light with just the right amount of carbonation. Drinkablilty is great. Obviously this wouldn't be a session beer. But I think I could have one of two of these after a meal.

04-12-2009 01:13:58 | More by BeerStine
doppelmeup

3.9/5  rDev -14.5%

I'm not sure exactly how to rate this beer, as it is a style I am not overly familiar with.

Cloudy, hazy golden colored pour. Not much on head but slight bit of lace.

Sour and bitter citrus aromas, definite grapefruit smell, slightly funky.

Taste was bitter and sour, with hints of grapefruit and lemon rind, slightly funky, perhaps leathery as well?

Overall, I am glad I had a chance to try this brew. Obviously a fine brew, just not my preferred style.

04-05-2009 20:30:28 | More by doppelmeup
sonicdescent

4.1/5  rDev -10.1%

Thanks to bring or this one!

Pours an almost orange hue. Looks like it could have had some massive head but I poured it slowly as to not disturb the sediment layer.

Smells of sour apples, vinegar, funk. A tad muted compared to their other sours.

Taste is similar to scent. Very tasty, sour, funky.

Mouth is medium in body and medium to high in carbonation. I felt it could have been a little more bubbly.

Overall am east drinker and a great sour overall but my least favorite of Russian Rivers sour offerings.

04-05-2009 03:49:22 | More by sonicdescent
bhalter8

Georgia

4.38/5  rDev -3.9%

Batch #002 courtesy of, and a huge thanks to drseamus, unbelievable extra to help me enter the world of Wild Ales. Pours a flat looking head, crazy really, as moments later the carbonization builds up and a thin, striking white head appears. This head then slowly dissipates into a white ring, but the end result as you drink is some thin, but dense lacing. It almost looks like an arnold palmer (half lemonade and half iced tea), by that I mean a yellowish tan, but rather light/clear. A potent sour smell up front, mellows a bit to an earthy undertone. This is the sour I have been waiting to try, it is a super crisp lemony sour, with a sweet ting at the end. I must admit, I am a novice when it comes to Wild Ales, with some having that barn/leathery taste that I do not care for. This is thing is a pure crisp sourness, really none of the earthy smell comes through in the taste. Obviously, very tart in your mouth, and as you drink it will hit the back of tongue hard too. In the end, an amazing beer from a pure, crisp sour standpoint. I'll need to try more to compare my tastes now...

04-05-2009 00:50:33 | More by bhalter8
BuckeyeNation

Iowa

4.08/5  rDev -10.5%

Batch 001-PH1. Bright kumquat with Champagnesque carbonation. Too bad the foam cap is nothing to write home about. It fizzes away like soda and is nearly gone by the several minute mark. Needless to say, the glass is virtually spotless. Maybe all those bugs or the acidity is to blame. As with most gueuzes, the lack of a quality head and lace isn't a huge negative in a wild ale.

The aroma is dizzyingly complex and is a pleasure to sniff. Nothing is overdone and pretty much everything is done... exactly... right. Tart fruit vinegar is dominant, with a perfect amount of buggy funk. According to the brewery, the PH1 batch used the highest quality (that is, the most Acetobacter-heavy) La Folie barrels.

If I hadn't picked up that fun fact from the Russian River website, I could have figured it out from the first mouthful. Wow, this stuff is tangy-tart! It isn't so much funky (in a sweat sock or horse blanket kind of way), so it won't alienate those who have a low tolerance for such flavors.

Beatification has to be the most gueuze-like of all the RR wild ales. That will be a positive for some and a negative for others. My impression is that the big blast of acidic tartness overpowers what might have been a deeper, more complex, oak barrel-aged blonde ale. Others may (and probably will) respectfully disagree.

The beer is reminiscent of an extremely tart white wine in many respects. Yes, I would have thought that even without knowing that white wine yeast was used. Flavors include immensely sour fruit (white grapes, green apples, lemons), cider vinegar, tannic oak and a mild-moderate, bacteria-derived grunginess. Can a beer taste both clean and dirty at the same time? Dirty in a good way, of course.

The mouthfeel is good because it fits the gueuze... er, wild ale... style very well. It's light to light-medium and has a sneaky slickness that keeps the flavors from fading away until long after the swallow. In spite of the guillotined look, the carbonation is gently energetic. Actually, by the bottom of the bottle, things are pretty calm.

This buggier version of Beatification Batch 001 won't be everyone's cup of tea. It's pretty uncompromising in its tart acidity, which will tend to put some people off. I appreciate and respect the skill that went into its creation, but there are quite a few Russian River brews that I find to be superior.

03-29-2009 12:52:57 | More by BuckeyeNation
kleffman

4.28/5  rDev -6.1%

Finally got around to drinking my bottle of batch #2 tonight. Poured the dregs into a sour beer I'm currently fermenting, maybe it'll add something positive to the mix.

Poured a very clear orange color with zero head and not a ton of carbonation. Enough, but I expected it to be more carbed.

Smell is pure tart grapefruit and funk. Pretty damn funked up.

Taste is basically the same, super funky, sour grapefruit and some tropical fruit flavors mixing into the lactic bite.

Light in body, and incredibly easy to drink for a spontaneously fermented beer. The lambics I've had previously are usually so puckering they take some work. This is clean, delicious sour beer. Did I just say clean? I mean filthy.

03-22-2009 06:55:22 | More by kleffman
ThirdLap

4.33/5  rDev -5%

Split a 375ml bottle of Batch 002 with Mrs. ThirdLap tonight. Wild ales have become her favorite style in recent months, and because of this I've been able to try all sorts of new beers. Never thought in a million years that she would have turned ME on to a style.

Beatification pours a clear yellow, reminiscent of sparkling apple cider. No head after a vigorous pour, and bubbling subsides after a few minutes. Even gentle pouring resulted in the second glass having a large amount of sediment in it, resulting in a cloudier appearance.

Smell is best described as a tart citrus funk.

The taste is obviously very sour, and the closest experience I can compare it to is the initial overwhelming acidic blast you get when you stick a slice of lemon into your mouth. Complementing the citrus are hints of white wine and tart cherries. Every sip results in a huge mouth-watering response by the taste buds.

Body is right in the middle, and the finish is incredibly crisp and clean. Carbonation in this batch is low to medium. The 5% alcohol is nearly imperceptible.

Drinkability is excellent.

Very tasty. No one does sours like Russian River.

03-10-2009 03:37:03 | More by ThirdLap