Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 2,912
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beatification Alström Bros
4.31/5  rDev -5.5%

Part III of epic RR tasting including Tempt, Sancti, Beati, Suppl, and Consec. Thanks to glazeman for contributing this one, as well as the other two rarities in the bunch. Since I first signed up for BeerAdvocate, Beatification has been on my radar. I've been waiting for this one for a long time.

The appearance is a thick, murky, orange with no head. It doesn't look pretty, but in all honesty it reminds me of Raspberry Eisbock - flat, thick, and old looking. The smell is about as interesting as it gets for any beer - the most complex and outright strange beer I've ever smelled - I get musty basement, barn, horse, smelly feet, aged white cheddar, energy drink (such as Monster or Red Bull), with a touch of lemon and white grapes in the finish. Wow. The taste is SOUR. The most sour beer I've ever had - the sourness hurts my epiglottis, puckers my posterior pharynx, makes my face warm, and causes me to tear up. The drinkability on this beer is almost zero, but the taste and smell of it is so unique that this beer truly does live up to the hype. This is the best beer I've had tonight thus far. As someone who loves midwestern stouts and IPAs, I've always been a big basher of west coat sours. However, Beatification is as good as it gets. Touche.

4.59/5  rDev +0.7%

Batch 2

A: Right off the bat I was shocked by the lack of head on this beer. There wasn't even enough bubbles to cover the liquid even after a vigorous poor. This is hazy medium orange in color.

S: The smell has very little fruit, which was also a surprise. Rather it is dominated by an acidity, yeasty flour smell that is difficult to describe. There's some lime and some strawberry deeper down.

T: I had read somewhere that this was one of the most mouth puckering sours out there, and I agree completely. This tastes like a liquefied sour patch kid and then some. The flavor is balanced out by some strawberry and some lemon. Truly amazing in my opinion. The flavor is robust, unique, and amazing.

M: Despite the lack of carbonation, the mouthfeel is spot on. The sourness more than makes up for the lack of carbonation and anything more would take away from the experience as far as CO2 goes.

D: Well, I only had about 6 ounces of this, and wish I could have had more. With that being said, the extreme sourness of this beer would probably limit my ability to have a lot of this in one sitting. With that being said, I'd be happy to have this at any opportunity, and will definitely look to get more

4.7/5  rDev +3.1%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 2 bottle, shared with Shaun at Hill Farmstead. A million thanks, sir.

Pours a light, golden color with a nice white head and moderate carbonation.

Strong, aggressive aroma of brett, barnyard, must and funk. Pure, unadulterated funk, as you'd want in a wild ale.

Taste is astounding, especially in contrast to it's aroma. Reminds me of Sour Patch Kids candy. Tart, super sour and fruity, but surprisingly drinkable.

Wonderful experience.

4.02/5  rDev -11.8%

Chilled 375mL bottle into a glass. Batch 002.

A: Cloudy blond/straw/gold color with active, fine Champagne-like effervescence. Marginal head during the pour, and it recedes to a collar that remains for the duration of the drink. No lacing to speak of.

S: Lemon peel, must and hay. Rotting mushrooms, earthy forest funk. Probably the closest gueuze-like aroma I've smelled in an American Wild Ale.

T: Sour, sour, sour! Mouth-puckering lemon juice and peel, followed hints of wood and earthiness. Very acidic, with a dry finish that brings some earthy and hoppy bitterness to the palate. Intensely sour, if I haven't said that already. It has some residual sweetness that initially counteracts the acidity, but even a small pour becomes a burning chore after a while.

M: Thin-medium with fine bubbles, though the carbonation has somewhat faded out. The finish is drying, though not fully dry. Some residual sugars contribute a nice contrasting sweetness to the otherwise acetic beer, though in larger quantities the beer simply becomes harsh.

D: I find batch 3 much more drinkable (and I should probably review it formally). Batch 2 is ok in small doses, but it strikes me as straight lemon juice.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

I shared my batch 2 next to Oreo's batch 3 at our EPIC sour tasting...

The batch 2 was my top want, so thanks to titosupertramp!

This is amazing. The batch 2 is less carbonated, but the same color. Batch 3 has a small white head.

The smells are similar. 3 is funky, but not as dry as 2. The lemony am lactic sour is more prominent in 3, but still in 2.

The tastes are both excellent... They both follow the noses-- 2 is dry and funky with a great balance and 3 is super lactic and tart with a good funkiness hiding underneath.

The body on 2 is less carbonated than 3, but they're both fantastic-- medium body with a good bite.

This is my top sour. Either batch. I would drink these constantly. This is easily one of the top sours in the world.

4.84/5  rDev +6.1%

Another brew brought to this tasting by Bankhead. Greatly appreciated!

A: Hazy honey golden... it quite literally appears to be the hue of a nice, organic honey. Head recedes fairly quickly, but leaves a very persistent collar.

S: Loads of horseblanket and hay. Additionally, there's about an equal note of citrus and pepper note. A tiny note of mustiness, though there's a strange floral-like quality that balances it out and keeps it from being unpleasant. This is a beer I could sniff at all night, which would be as close to perfect as I can think of.

T + M: Amazingly dry... beautiful. A lemony type of tartness, without being so intense as it makes me pucker up. It's just enough to get my mouth watering and craving more. Peppery, with just the right amount of barnyard notes. I think this might just be a favourite of the Russian River brews I have tried to date.

D: This is pretty much as good as it gets, and I'm floored by how close to perfection is seems to be to my tastes. Suddenly, Pennsylvania doesn't seem too far to travel to try to secure more. I'm fortunate it's on the East at all!

4.75/5  rDev +4.2%

From notes:

Batch 003 750ml received as an extra in a trade with ipa247. Thanks a lot man! Your generosity knows no bounds.

Pours a dark hazy golden banana yellow color with golden yellow hues when held to a light source and a two finger frothy white head. Decent retention, slowly fading into a lasting ring that leaves sporadic spots of lacing behind.

Funky Brett aroma with hints of earthy oak, crisp light fruit, champagne yeast.

Medium bodied with a slightly puckering tart mouthfeel. Soft carbonation with some earthy oak notes as well as some puckering sour funk. The great thing about this beer is although it is sour and funky with dry bretty efervescence, it isn't acetic at all and is actually very well balanced by the citrus and light fruit notes. Hints of lemon peel as well as apple and pear. Complex and extremely complex with a nice tart finish. Each sip leaves me salivating for more. Get this beer!!

4.17/5  rDev -8.6%

Poured into a small port style glass at Toronado

A: It poured a medium clear golden yellow with a small thin white head that disappears quickly, leaving a light white ring around the sides of the top.

S: This beer has nice sour funky notes, lemon and something musty. The smell is light and makes me excited to try it.

T: Definite intense sour, like biting into a lemon. Yum! It's a wonderful sour that lingers in my mouth and on my lips. I can pick up notes of barnyard funk once the sour subsides a bit. A nice little bit of vinegary acidity. There's just such a nice complex yet simple sour tartness to it.

M: Low, barely there carbonation, a medium mouthfeel with a nice zing

D: It was wonderfully drinkable, but one I really wanted to savor. I got about a 6oz pour of it which was perfect. It's one I would definitely drink again and again.

4.47/5  rDev -2%

Rating from 2009 for a batch 2 bottle.

Bottle, batch 2, big thanks to Kevin. Pours a slightly murky peachy orange with a thin soapy head. Lemon zest, brett, and peaches kick off the nose. Has that round, eggy edge that some light Lost Abbey sours have. Wow, extremely sour and puckering, maybe the most sour beer I've had. Very refined. The sourness is centered on lemons and light citrus. Candy-like at times. Great for what it is, but perhaps the intense sourness kills some fruit complexity. Russian River seems to be the king of sours in the USA.

***Since the original rate I've recently had the batch 2 and batch 3 side by side. It's a wonderful beer, especially batch 2. I don't know whether the beer has matured in the last year or I've just grown to like it more. It's clearly in another league from Lost Abbey light sours, even the big name ones, and is better than most available geuze around here.

batch 2. 375ml bottle
reviewed from notes. Huge thanks to CaseyK for sharing this.

a - cloudy yellow. low carbonation...head dissipates instantly.

s - sweet lemon along side decaying lemon rind.

t - had this after quintipartide, which I'd call a good warm-up beer to the sourness of beatification. lemon and hay funk. wow.

m - light, crisp body. good carbonation. i need to check to make sure my tongue isn't bleeding.

overall - phenomenal beer.

4.45/5  rDev -2.4%

I am tasting a bottle from batch 002, so it's about 2.5 years old (treated well all this time). Pours gold in color, fairly light, with white head that barely exists. It is clear at first, but as I poured the rest of the bottle it became hazy. Aroma is wonderful. First thing that comes to mind - funk. Tartness is clearly there. Maybe a bit of barnyard notes, and there is definitely some light, fruity sweetness. The beer is tart, but not in extreme way (at least not for me), which makes it quite pleasant. I'm guessing in the past couple of years it mellowed out a bit. Tasting beer first I am hit with tartness, but sweetness is left in the aftertaste. It's very drinkable for the style, and has medium body. Not a lot in terms of carbonation.

I'll be honest, I am a big fan of Russian River (kind of makes it hard living in New York), and this bottle does not disappoint. I am enjoying it very much. And my bottle was signed by Vinnie at a fest some time ago (irrelevant for the taste, but still fun to mention).

4.32/5  rDev -5.3%

Batch #2 375ml bottle. A longtime want. A huge thanks to pittsburghkid66 for this one.

A: Poured into my Russian River "tion" glass. Pours a bright yellow/orange color. Very little head and no lacing whatsoever.

S: A strong aroma, consisting of green apples, lemons and brett funk. You can tell this is going to be pretty sour, just from the nose alone.

T:One of the most complex "sours" that I've ever tried. It's a real lemon bomb up front though. That follows up with a strong tart apple flavor. Along with some hints of barnyard funk and a slight mustiness. There are a lot of flavors going on here that my palate simply has trouble picking out.

M: Very smooth, and very dry. It could probably use a touch more carbonation for my taste.

D: I'm very grateful to have had the opportunity to try this beer. I will certainly be looking to get more when the next batch is released. But this is some pretty strong stuff, flavor wise. One glass in a sitting was more than enough for me.

4.72/5  rDev +3.5%

Review #200
375ml Batch 2 served in a tulip glass - thanks again for sharing, CaseyK!

A - Light gold and cloudy, hardly any head or lacing

S - Massive amounts of sour yeasts/bacteria, lot of lemon peel - I can't wait to dive into this!

T - Intensely sour from sip one, this is acidic, yeasty, and pungent --> barnyard funk, lemon juice, and brett --> intensely sour lemon and bacterial flavor on the finish, and this lingers for minutes

M - Good cabonation, acidic, lively, amazing

D - I'd drink all of this that I could - very drinkable for how mouth-puckeringly sour it is.

All in all, I'm amazed - what a beer! I love RR's regular sour offerings, but this takes the cake - only Sanctification comes close to the levels of funkiness in this. I hope to try every batch of this, but I'll always remember #2 fondly...

4.27/5  rDev -6.4%

Huge thanks to translucent for busting this bad boy out at our tasting. Poured into my tasting glass.

A: Golden yellow hue. Small white head. Soapy lace.

S: Nice brett filled funkiness. Lemons, straw, wet books. A modest bit of sweetness.

T: Lots of brett in the flavor. Funky lactic sourness. Mouth puckering good time.

M: medium to light body. Solid carbonation.

D: Overall a nice wild. Glad I got the chance to tick this bad boy.

4.77/5  rDev +4.6%

batch 2 - served in a small tulip/snifter hybrid. sent to me very generously by BA'er JRSD whom I met through my awesome Brother-in-Law. has been a huge want of mine for a long time. this one goes out to Jim, Mike, and Amy.

A - cork pulls out a bit easily with a subtle "pop". pour yeilds just a quick flash of loose white bubbles that vanish within a minute. left behind is a very thin white film and a few bubbles around the sides of the glass. the last few seconds or so brings some yeasty dregs into the glass. otherwise, the beer is clear, solid gold in color.

S - big and bright sourness, equally tart. some bits of grains, hay, yeasty funk, and basement must. nothing overpowers another, and balances wonderfully. flashes of lemon, sour green apples, and oaky vanilla sweetness creep in as it warms.

T - puckeringly sour, incredibly hidden from the nose. bright and acidic, vinegary, tart yet fruity, metallic in the right spots. this one is going to take awhile to decipher. funk flashes in and out alongside sweet vanilla and oak, and then the next sip brings in fresh grasses and fields. lemony sweetness abounds with crisp freshly picked granny smith apples. could go on and on here but i'm just going to stop and enjoy this. one of those outsanding and rare beers that can be directed to different areas of the mouth and tongue to yield different results. yummm - if I could give it a 5.5 I would.

M - medium body, with carbonation that at this point is just barely noticeable. somehow, this works wonderfully. so puckering and sour it almost makes the nose run and the glands in your mouth and throat go into overdrive out of fear.

D - a hardcore sipper: partially to blame is its incredible sourness, deliciousness, and complexity. one of those beers that just amazes me that naturally occurring things can cause flavors like this all on their own. sours/wilds really propelled me to the next level in beer advocacy and this point is one of its peaks. im running out of creative and artistic ways to describe this. simply amazing.

4.52/5  rDev -0.9%

A: Poured with a small, white head that faded to a thin film. Body is a dark yellow/golden color that appears a bit hazy.

S: Wow. I can smell this beer from 3-4 feet away, and that's not exaggerating. Very strong, musty, funky aroma that seems to grow more complex with each whiff. Amazing.

T: And then you drink it. This may be one of the most complex, interesting beers I've ever had. I have little experience with this style, but the flavor is extremely tart and sour, funky, acidic, dry finish... just, wow.

M: Medium-light bodied, moderate-high carbonation.

D: A new experience with beer for me. Definitely opened up my eyes even further. Just when I think beer can't impress me any further, it continues to do so.

4.9/5  rDev +7.5%

Bottle poured into a tasting glass. Batch 003. I believe thanks go out to Andrew for sharing this with us! Been a longtime want on my list.

(A)- Pours a hazy pale yellow straw color that produced a white head that dissipated after awhile. (4.5)

(S)- Dry, with an earthy hay/clay background. Some really nice tart citrus fruits. Hints of a dry, clean cheesy lactic acidity. (4.5)

(T)- Rather sour with the same nice fruits. Rather earthy like the smell with hay funk and some clay. Crisp. I really like the subtle oak woodiness that mingles in the background on this. (5.0)

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. So smooth, yet so crisp and sour. Complex to a point, but just delivers on mouthfeel in a harmonious way. (5.0)

(D)- Just a beautiful beer. Balanced with everything in the right place. Could not ask for anything better in the style. (5.0)

(original review: A+ / 4.8)
___
**Updated Review**
750mL corked and caged bottle poured into a stemmed glass. Batch 003

(A)- Pours a beautiful clear golden yellow/orange color that produced a good white fluffy head that stuck around for awhile. Plenty of lacing left behind. A sweet looking color.

(S)- A wonderfully dry funky earth with some acidic and tart lemon rind. Its actually kind of simple, but is just such a sexy smell that I could enjoy its aroma all day.

(T)- Same as the smell. A wonderfully dry earthy funk with a mouthpuckering lemon rind and white grape sourness. Again, simple, but so dynamic and sexy in my opinion that it deserves the top mark.

(M)- A great carbonation level and balance. A massive acidic sourness, but an assertive dry earthy fruit funk to back it up. It really reminds me of a superb Gueuze.

(D)- Just a wonderfully sexy wild ale! A great feel, smell, and taste. It really is just about perfect. The sourness is quite potent however; just enough to not get a perfect in drinkability.
This having been my second time trying it, I really do think it deserves the updated score I am giving it. Rareness and demand aside, this is really world class in every way. Makes me want to try some of the older batches to compare with this, but I doubt that will ever happen. Russian River needs to release a new batch of this asap!

4.18/5  rDev -8.3%

Bottle. Pours a slightly haze straw color with a slight collared white head. Lemon zesty nose coupled with some barnyard. Very citrus type tart notes. Light mouhfeel with good carbonation. Slightly mouth puckering. The taste is really good with notes of oak, barnyard, lemon, grapefruit, and white grapes. Some good Brett notes without being overly floral or medicinal. Tasty, very tasty overall. Ends pretty dryly.

4.92/5  rDev +7.9%

Shared a bottle of this with some fellow BAs at Ebenezer's in Lovell, Maine. Great place!

Poured into a wine glass. Clear golden/orange body with a thin white head that fades to a faint ring. Very musty funky aroma. Flavor is of lemon zest, sour apples, very vinous, and acidic. Very astringent finish. Bubbly on the tongue, finishes very dry.

Excellent representation of the style. This may be my absolute favorite American Wild ale.

4.65/5  rDev +2%

375ml bottle into Delirium Noël glass. Batch 002 bottled 2/29/08.

A: Pours a bright clear orangeish-golden with thin bubbly white head that vanished into a faint collar. No lacing.
S: Crazy funky and tart smelling with notes of sour cherries, lemon zest and musty attic.
T: There is an initial blast of tartness as the acid hits your tongue, but it is not harsh or vinegary. The fruits in this beer are very vinous similar to that of a sweet white wine. I get flavors of white grapes, pears, dark cherries, oak tannins, faint vanilla and tobacco. Aftertaste has incredible notes of blackberries and blueberries with a light cheesy funk. Not as dry as I would have expected but there is still a fair amount of gritty tannins in the finish. The beer coats your mouth after each swallow and leaves a sweet sticky fruit flavor that is just wonderful.
M: Carbonation is a bit low but who cares. Body is medium and the mouthfeel is so very smooth despite the light tartness.
D: The best barrel-aged Russian River beer I've ever had. One of the best wild ales I've ever had. One of the best beers I've ever had! Oh man was this tasty. I wish I had more.

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%

Batch 2, 375 ml bottle.

A: Hazy light yellow. Thin bubbly head that quickly recedes.
S: Very sour smell. Smells like all kinds of lemon, juice, zest, sour lemon candy. Delicious.
T: Very sour up front. Matches the smell very well. Pure lemon, one of the most sour beers I have had, but in a very good way.
M: Perfectly carbonated, leaves a very pleasant tingle and zing on the tongue with a nice lasting aftertaste.
D: For how sour this was I found it to be incredibly drinkable. It was somehow refreshing and incredibly satisfying.
O: Really glad I got to try this beer, age has certainly been kind to it. Would love to try it again in the future.

4.87/5  rDev +6.8%

BrewerDan23 shared his bottle with a dew of us at a tasting...thanks again Dan, extremely appreciated! Poured from a cork and caged 750ml bottle into my tasting snifter. Pours a hazy golden color, with a small frothy white head. Head dissipates pretty quick. So far...looks great!

Aroma is perfect! If you love sours as much as me, this one makes your mouth water. So much sharp tartness in the aroma. The funkiness associated with sours(Brett) is a nice characteristic...with lots of lemon zest and oak.

Flavor is just like the aroma...perfect. This turned out to be my favorite/biggest surprise beer of the night(which had beers like Black Tuesday and Duck Duck Gooze to compete with). I expected this beer to be delightful, but didn't expect it to rock my world! The sourness/tartness is incredible. Loads of the sharp tart, oak, funkiness. Finishes only slightly dry. Light and crisp mouthfeel. High carbonation. What a fantastic sour!!

4.57/5  rDev +0.2%

Finally getting around to ticking this one, cracked a batch 003 last night. From notes. Paired really nicely with Rogue River Blue.

Pours a pale yellow-gold color, with a small whitish head formation that fades to a ring leaving a touch of lacing.

Aroma is just a great combination of funk and the characteristic grapefruit flavor that this beer is often known for. I like that the funk character is complex and satisfying without going into the cheesy direction. Don't get my wrong, there's a time and a place for some stinky cheese aroma - it's just nice to find a great complex nose that satisfies without it. I'm mostly getting some musty straw-like components, wet wood and bretty earthiness in the funk department, which is just awesome contrasting with the brighter grapefruit and meyer lemon acidic qualities. The taste is just as delicious as the aroma prefaced, boasting sharp lactic sourness, all of the great lemony and grapefruit brightening up the palate with low-medium bodied with lively, yet subtle carbonation aiding in the long dry, earthy, mineral finish. Not as tongue-numbingly sour as batch 2, but still packs a punch. One of the best American sour beers. Always a pleasure to drink.

4.62/5  rDev +1.3%
look: 4.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Review #1500

Typically review "milestones" are meaningless, but right now 1500 seems like an awful lot of beers, endless hours spent tasting and transcribing. This calls for a special one to celebrate, and I have to thank Jason for his help in acquiring this one.

A mild *thwup* from the cork, and immediately wild farmhouse aromas waft out. Cheesy, musty horseblanket, damp straw and barn stalls. In the glass it's a more concentrated citrus, expressed as grapefruit, lemon, and orange peel. A bit of chalky, dry barrel must lingers behind the fruit. As it warms, a yogurty, lactic funkiness becomes apparent.

The frothy ring of bubbles laces nicely around the edges, with a thin wispy skim in the center. Glowing sunset orange color, with a slight natural haze.

Puckering lemony sourness, with the added dimension of grapefruit to take the edge off. Very crisp and finishing dry. Acidic and wine-like. As the palate acclimates to the sourness, more depth and complexity emerges, similar to a traditional lambic. Ripe fruit flesh, crabapple, lemon, and grapefruit blend in harmony. You can still feel the lemon pith sourness clinging in your teeth after it's gone. Very juicy at first, becoming puckering, with dry oak traces in the finish.

One of the closer American examples to traditional Lambic. There were some similarities here and there to Cantillon Classic Gueuze, another all time favorite of mine.

4.57/5  rDev +0.2%

Ah, beatification, supreme happiness..

On warm humid summer days in New York humidity seeps in through the cracks of the farm's silo and mixes with fermenting corn, grains, and grass. It releases a poisonous odor that can only really be traced to farms, the smell of silage. I hold this smell very dear to my heart so you can only imagine how I felt when I eagerly awaited opening my bottle of beatification.

I bought bottles of beatification during a visit to the brewery in Santa Rosa. I first tried it fresh 2 years ago when I first bought it and was rather disappointed. It was my first sour beer and was immediately turned off. No malt or hop flavors to speak of and outrageously sour. Was it a beer?

After several months a strange craving came to me and I needed a sour brew in a bad way. I don't know how, but the very taste I had once hated had grown on me while denied of it. I tried to get the same degree of sour in other sour beers but to no avail.

After popping the cork of this bottle I had been aging, I was overwhelmed again with the warm smell of silage, there is just no other description for it, wonderful. Pressed for glasses I poured the beer into a wine glass. The hazy yellow beer seemed to glisten in the sun under its quickly dissipating one finger bright white head. I also found that in the house it took a more orange/gold color, beautiful even if it was devoid of retention.

The beer goes down very smooth with slightly low carbonation and a sour taste. It has a tart, dry champagne like finish.

How does one describe the taste of sour? I think this is one reason I have grown to love sour beers. The taste is created by incredibly special and often very old yeast (some strains have been reused for hundreds of years) that can not be quantified, but only experienced. This beer is especially unique because it lacks yeast and is fermented spontaneously. Whatever random bacteria and yeast managed to latch onto the sugars managed to do a bang up job. It's organized chaos in the highest sense.

You can try loads of different sour beers, but each one is unique in its own way without an accurate description of the taste or how the sour flavor isn't exactly the same. Sure you can pick up on earthy, citrus, and very subtle wood notes, but nothing can prepare you for the unique sour flavors that your mouth will water to inside this beer.

The only thing I can say about this beer is you have to try it. You'll either love it, or hate it. But I think it is beatifying indeed.

Beatification from Russian River Brewing Company