Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

BeatificationBeatification

Wants: 2,775
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

(Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006)
Sort by:  Usefulness | Recent | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beatification Alström Bros
4.53/5  rDev -0.7%

A - Hazy straw color. No head.

S - Wet dog in a phone booth. Acidic presence with a hint of lemon rind.

T - Like biting into a whole lemon. Very sour and funky. Has a the complexity of a wine with fruit and straw notes. Dry oak finishes.

M - Acidicm body with light carbonation. Finishes very dry on the pallet.

O - Amazing. Perfect. Wish I had someone to share this with.

DwnTwnBwn, Dec 29, 2008
4.53/5  rDev -0.7%

Had the most recent bottling

A- golden full of carbonation.

S- this is going to be sour, you know what to expect when you smell this brew.

T- just as suspected pucker up this is sour, but also great, this is my favorite of all RR barrel sours.

M- very carbonated and full of long lasting flavor, atomic warhead sour!!

D- ok, it is very sour and i can see why some of the reviews say it is too sour but i feel this is exactly what it is suposed to be, a sour wild ale, this ids the style, great brew

JWD, Dec 29, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +3.1%

Batch 003 in a 750mL bottle. Poured a hazy yellow with a fizzy head. Smell was vinegar & citrus with slight barnyard funk. The taste was menacing: Wonderful bitterness the entire duration of the sip. Tastes of funk & sour lemon. Drinkability was very good. I love sours because you get vast amounts of flavor for low levels of alcohol.

gameface23, Dec 28, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +3.1%

Batch 003. Poured into a goblet. Has a beautiful golden color with a slight haze. A fizzy white head forms and dissipates rather quickly.

Incredibly funky smell. Sour lemon and citrus, horsey funk and barnyard, acetic acid.

Very sour on the palate. Funky barnyard, lemon, and vinegar. Lots of prickly carbonation.

Great beer. This was worth the wait to try. Hopefully I can manage to stay away from my other bottle for a few years and let it age.

RodBurg, Dec 26, 2008
4.35/5  rDev -4.6%

750ml bottle (batch 003) poured into my Russian River "Barrel Aged Ales" goblet (pretty ugly design though). Beatification is a spritzy gold with a large white head that leaves scattered lace. A nice crackle to the head, even though it is pretty quick to dissipate, impressive for what essentially is a gueze.

Smell is very pithy and mineral laden, lemon tonic water, must and a touch of vinegar, very nice.

Taste is wild for sure, wow. I had batch 2 before and it really blew my mind, and this one really lives up to my high expectations. Very tart and complex, citrus and a bit of sugar, though the sweetness is quickly cut by the sour, dry finish.

Mouthfeel is spritzy and crisp, super dry, light body.

Drinkability is pretty high if your a fan of gueze, in that I wouldn't mind have this on a regular basis. Still, the extreme acidity makes it a very slow sipper and not something I want more then one bottle of in an sitting. Ever since I heard about their plans to make a 'sonambic', I knew I had to get my hands on some. While it's undoubtedly awesome, it's prohibitively expensive, which is really a shame, as it mean I'll have to really hoard my reaming bottles for special occasions, like another Christmas! This should age very well, if I can manage to hold onto it that is!!!

ccrida, Dec 26, 2008
4.65/5  rDev +2%

I split this with my brother. We had to decant it before it started spraying. I'm glad we took that measure so that we did not lose any of this.

Pours a hazy light amber with a good head. Not much retention or lacing, but enough to get by. The smell is of tart fruit and just a general funky scent. Kind of like apple cider or some other cider. I actually do not have much experience with wild ales, but I really dig this. Some that I've smelled are a bit off-putting, but this one really smells good. The taste is really great. You could sort of describe it as sweet-tarts or pixie sticks. Also, there's a bit of a white wine kind of taste, white grapes and barrels. But there's a rush of sourness that is well-balanced with sweetness. There is a bit of a tart finish, but some brett beers are too tart. This one is just perfect. You get a good rush of carbonation along with the taste. I could really sip on this beer for hours and hours. The flavor is great, and the sourness will force you not to drink at a rate that will let the alcohol catch up to you.

taylorhamrick, Dec 26, 2008

Reviewed on 7/26/08. On tap at Blind Tiger. Pours a clear orange with no head. Aroma is sour and quite funky (barnhouse funk, horseblanket). Flavor of initial tartness, sweet tart candies. The flavor is less funky than the aroma. This is sour but not puckering sour, so it is quite drinkable for its style. Awesome sour that I can't believe I got the chance to try on tap!
8/4/8/4/17 (4.1/5)

LilBeerDoctor, Dec 21, 2008
4.45/5  rDev -2.4%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

A - Hazy straw body with no real head or no lacing

S - Mostly funky with some pleasant mild sour notes. Some small acidic notes.

T - Much more sour and funky than the nose would suggest. Acidic notes can be found and carries a wine flavor as well. Some citrus notes come

M - Medium body with light carbonation. Kind of a chalky moutfeel.

D - Pretty easy to drink and damn enjoyable. Some more age on it and it'll probably get much much better.

midaszero, Dec 15, 2008
4.5/5  rDev -1.3%

Batch 002

A - Pours a brilliantly clear golden yellow, orange with a small wisp of head that disappears immediately without any bubbles. The color is very strange and reminds me of Red Bull.

S - Tart, acidic and funky. Brett with horse blanket as it warms, tart white grapes, sour lemons.

T - Mouth puckering tartness, acidic, white grape, grapefruit, green apple and a lingering sour lemon flavor that stays on the tongue.

M - Light to medium body with very low carbonation. Biting acidity that clenses the palette.

D - Very tasty. Much more complex than just barnyard Brett.

brewcrew76, Dec 06, 2008
4.35/5  rDev -4.6%

batch 003 750 ml bottle, bought nov 08, from city beer store, SF, CA...

a) golden rich color, with just a hint of a head when first poured into a duvel glass, even and consistent

s) alot of the brett pungent-ness on the nose. hints of citrus, wood.

t) a flavor explosion, the spontaneous fermentation allows for a different flavor in every sip. definite nuance of barrel, as well as orange, and lemon... obviously the puckered brett flavor, with very little sweetness

m) like i said before, it explodes in your palate... the finish leaves you with the sweaty sweet flavor in your mouth

d) the finish is very smooth, so despite being heavy on the brett sourness, you are ready for more immediately

ggoss3, Dec 03, 2008
4.28/5  rDev -6.1%

Pours exquisitely into a Duvel glass. It looks like Duvel, actually--deep, dark sunshine golden with a wonderfully retentive soapy white head.

Smells potent, very tart. Redolent lemons, yeast, orange tic tacs, and pink starburst. Very intense, very sweet and sour.

Tastes even stronger than it smells. Jesus! The sourness is amazing, so strong it should be synthetic but also smooth enough to drink. Likening it to other flavors is sort of pointless, since it doesn't quite taste like anything I've ever come across before, not even very sour candies. It's just a hugely intense, unique sourness backed up by smooth, lightly spicy yeast.

mynie, Dec 01, 2008
4.03/5  rDev -11.6%

I poured Beatification into a snifter. It has the thick, velvety head that seem to crown every Russian River brew. It's quite cloudy, and glowing yellow.

Smells like champagne and Belgian yeast. Extremely tart!

Taste is unbelievably tart, like sweet tarts mixed with Granny smith apples. I can't penetrate the tartness to get a feel for the underlying complexity; I literally sweat at the temples when I drink this beer. I would say it's a taste you'll either love or hate, but I'm actually pretty on the fence about it.

The low ABV doesn't help drinkability much. The tartness is far too strong to make big swigs possible.

I'm glad I tried it. I have one aging (we'll revisit in a year) but I doubt I'll be laying down $23 for another bottle.

gyllstromk, Nov 29, 2008
4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Batch #002, poured into a RR chalice.

Pale straw color, slightly hazy. Half-finger snow white head has little staying power, fading into a thin cap and collar in seconds. Funk hits the nose as soon as the cork pops. Once it hits the glass, grapefruit, grass, herbs, spice and lemon come out. Lemony, acidic sour bite on the palate first. After a while more erth, grass, spice and funk come through. Pronounced oakiness as well. Mouthfeel is tart, light and refreshing. I could drink this stuff like water.

Not particularly good looking, but everything else about this beer is spectacular. Complex, yet crisp and refreshing; Highly recommended.

0110x011, Nov 28, 2008
4.15/5  rDev -9%
look: 3.5 | smell: 3.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4

Corked & caged 375ml bottle.
6% abv

Pours an opaque straw gold..small head of bright white foam doesn't stick around long.
yikes...absolute tart revelry..noxious fruit acidity hits the nostrils as soon as the cork pops off.. i'm in for a treat, i think..
Flavor is straight-up earthy malt sourness, with a definite funk, holy cow. Sourness is on full display, as the acidic citrus hits every tastebud and tells them exactly how it's going to be.
Ripe grapes & pungent lemon mixed with a light woody taste on the finish. Dry as dry.

This defines extreme beer, another good brew from Russian River.

hero27, Nov 22, 2008
4.33/5  rDev -5%

Batch 002 compliments of swnicholson.

A: Pours a slightly hazy golden yellow with almost now head at all -- a few bubbles and a slight swirl. Bits of overly moist, spotted lacing appear then disappear as I swirl.

S: Aromas of horse blanket, brett, grass, and some earthy funkiness, underlying hints of sour citrus like lemon, and something that smells similar to Playdough. Very similar to this years CL Cuvee de Castleton.

T: There's a lot going on here. Quite tart and liberally sour, slightly puckering so on the finish -- you can feel a slight sour burn if you breath out your nose immediately after you swallow -- though I've certainly had beers that pack a more sour punch like Cantillon Lou Pepe. I really can't pick out the base of this beer, but the overlaying flavors are lemony, slightly spicy, and positively funky.

M: Smooth and very slick, but still light to medium bodied. Much lower levels of carbonation than a champagne, though there are some tingly bubbles.

D: This is a really enjoyable wild ale, the mouthfeel is a bid lacking in my opinion but I'd often seek this beer out if I had ready access to it. Honestly though, if you're looking for sour, Cantillon's got this beat.

kasper, Nov 21, 2008
4.7/5  rDev +3.1%

A- Pours a hazy blonde with absolutely no head.

S- Initially it smells very crisp and clean, but after a couple whiffs, a mild funky smell comes through. Tart grapes and brett along with earthy notes come through.

T- Sour lemon and brett with notes of white pepper. This one's pretty complex. Very crisp lemony finish.

M- Puckeringly sour with a crisp, dry finish.

D- In spite of how sour it was, this was extremely enjoyable. I can't wait to try it again!

JoeMayo, Nov 11, 2008
4.35/5  rDev -4.6%

[PH1] Poured a cloudy, yellow red color with a small white head that left nice lacing on the glass. Aroma of brett, lemon peel, sour grape, white pepper, vanilla, tropical fruits, honey dew, cherry, and strawberry. Taste of lacto, brett, vanilla, citrus, and green apple. Phenomenal beer!

[Batch 2] Poured a hazy golden color with a small, white head that left light lacing on the glass. Aroma of brett, and that special Russian River funky blend, citrus fruits, wood, light vanilla, grapes, toffee, and lemongrass. Taste was sour, some citrus, green grapes, some apple, but damn that yeast Russian River uses really eats all the sugars, quite sour, like a fresh Cantillon or 3 Fonteinen.

egajdzis, Nov 10, 2008
4.22/5  rDev -7.5%

Pours golden with no head at all. A little cloudy. Smell is earthy and finishes sour. Tastes like tart cherries and maybe even some lemon in the finish. Does not taste as earthy as it smells. Drinkablity is only hurt by the acidic feel as it enters the stomach.

tprokop7, Nov 08, 2008
4.55/5  rDev -0.2%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Batch 002

A - Into da snifta. A cloudy sunset gold, with a layer of bubbles one could *almost* call a head. A very, "I just woke up and peed in this glass" quality to it. Not truly appetizing, but not horrid. No lacing.

S - NOW we're talking. So good. Major brett vibes, white wine, huge oakiness, limes, sour apples, fruit stand. Very VERY slight vinegar notes. The more I drink, the more I smell potpourri... christmas potpourri.

T - I was totally in the mood for a sour and this one hits the mark. Lots of tartness up front, puckering. Lactic acidity, dry finish. Earthy, yet refined. Oak highly noted in the finish, also sour green apples, citrus zest, apple cider vinegar. Fantastic in both execution and taste. It leaves your lips salty and sour after sips.

M - Medium bodied with a nice amount of carbonation. Perfect for the style.

D - Hugely drinkable for the tastes involved. I couldn't really drink this ALL night, but if I had more than one, I'd be reaching for it.

Notes: This doesn't even compare to JP's Biere De Mars Grand Reserve in terms of tartness. That shit was ridiculous.

SaucyA, Nov 03, 2008
4.05/5  rDev -11.2%

Poured from a 12.7 oz. bottle (Batch 002) into a snifter.

Appears a cloudy golden yellow with a quarter inch white head that sinks down quickly to a skim. Doesn't leave much lacing at all.

Aroma is nice and sour. Fruity, with a dominant granny smith apple tartness, perhaps a bit of tropical fruit is actually present behind the tart.

Taste is very sour, almost to the point that not much else comes through. I'm getting more of the apple tartness but now lots of lemon.

Mouthfeel is medium, carbonation level is quite low but it is appropriate. Very soft on the palate.

Not as good as Supplication, perhaps a bit too sour almost, but it's still very tasty. I hope I get the chance to try some more RR sours sometime soon.

roadhouse, Oct 30, 2008
3.78/5  rDev -17.1%

Batch 002

A: Hazy golden yellow/orange. Pours with virtually no head. Fairly active carbonation bubbling up to the top that quickly mellows

S: Tart green apples. Funky, a little musty.

T/M: Vert tart; probably the tartest beer I've had. Tastes like sour green apples. Earthy. Dry. Not as light bodied, carbonated and crisp as a Belgium gueuze. Interesting stuff.

D: Drinkable in the sense that it's low in abv. But unless you enjoy Warheads regularly you probably aren't going to consume more than a glass of this.

Of the RRBC sours, I put this one last. It's a little too tart for my tastes. But that doesn't mean it's not an interesting one.

abfraser, Oct 25, 2008
4.93/5  rDev +8.1%

I just returnet to the United States after a seven month combat deployment in support of Opperation Iraqi Freedom and Opperation Enduring Freedom. I have wanted a great beer for a long time, and I have been anxiously awaiting the day I got to have a truely great sour beer. I waited until the last day of my vacation to open it.

This beer pours a clear golden yellow color with an almost non existant head that disappears instantly, leaving no laces. It looks quite thin.

This beer as a sour aroma. It smells slightly of viniger, but not in a bad way at all. It has a fruity aroma also. Mostly apple, but with some lemon. It has a slight earthy yeast aroma as well.

This beer tastes like it smells. Sour, and great. Slightly viniger like. It has a citrusy fruit flavor of lemons. Also so apple flavor. Mmmmm, that sour flavor is great.

This beer is thin, and very low in carbonation, suiting it quite nicely. It is very crisp, and refreshing.

I think this beer would make a great session beer. It tastes great, and is low in alcohol. I know that after a few, I could still taste the complexity of this fine beer. If I could get a few cases of it, I would love it.

Overall: Great beer by a great brewer. I have been wanting it for quite some time, and now I am satisfied. I WILL have this one again. If they ever make a Batch 3.

OStrungT, Oct 14, 2008
2.4/5  rDev -47.4%

Going to have to write a very bland review since my prior review was killed by the man.

A: hazy gold appearance with white head.

S: funky, musty and sour

T: Too sour. Mouth puckering, lemons, lots of funk. The sourness is unbalanced in my view and overwhelms the other flavors in this beer.

M: Mouth puckering.

D: I love most Russian River brews, and want to like this one, but I don't. Not very drinkable.

waltonc, Oct 05, 2008
4.47/5  rDev -2%

Batch 2. Poured in a big wine glass at 59 F/ 15 C.

Beautiful pale hazy gold. Minimal ring of white froth and a bit of lace.

Sour funky aroma. Sourdough, yogurt, green apple, lemon and berries, bacterial funk like damp earth and mature goat cheese, and some wood and vanilla.

Tastes powerfully sour, like yogurt squared, with clean bright fruit and deep drying wood. Quite dry and refreshing. After several seconds, a deep bacterial note like aged goat cheese develops. Lingering acidity and wood.

Soft carbonation with prickly acidity and some woody astringency. Quite refreshing and drinkable.

Great beer.

Beerzebub, Oct 04, 2008
2.95/5  rDev -35.3%

Paid $13.99 for a 12.7 oz bottle from Monument Liquor in Concord, CA. Poured into the largest wine glass I have and shared with my girlfriend.

3/4 inch very fizzy white head. Heavily carbonated. A very cloudy yellowish gold color. Not too much head retention. Little lacing.

The wild yeast dominates the nose. Some grassier hops balance this one out. Carbonation present in the nose as well. Hints of dank bread - this would probably be a great pairing with good, fresh bread. Perhaps a bit of lemon in there as well - quite a complex offering. Not the most pleasant aroma, but certainly you have to give them credit for creating something this unique.

Taste is very sour. Very wild. Very different. Likeable? Not really, but it was fun to try. The taste is quite different than the smell - almost like sour candy. That sour taste lingers for a long time. Not as complex as the nose.

Very carbonated mouth. Light body. Definitely a sipper. Not sure of the occasion I would want to bust this one out for.

ibbjamin, Oct 04, 2008