Beatification - Russian River Brewing Company

Wants: 2,912
Russian River Brewing Company visit their website

American Wild Ale |  5.50% ABV

Beer added by: hopsaplenty on 01-25-2006

Sort by:  Recent | Likes | High | Low | Top Raters | Read the Alström Bros Beer Reviews and Beer Ratings of Beatification Alström Bros
4.52/5  rDev -0.9%

Review #450.

Batch 2, 375ml split with my girl. This has been calling from the cellar for a while.

Into our fantastic Cantillon tasting glasses, we both remarked how fantastic the beer looks. Little touch of cloudiness, yellow-orange with no real head or activity. But that's OK, this beer doesn't need lace to be badass.

Smell is sour and remarkable. Huge lemon, grape skin and green apple. Oakiness is buried but just makes its presence known. Lacto and Pedio funk are apparent, and this is bracingly sour. Reminds me of a nice Belgian Gueze without the dirtiness.

This beer tastes like heaven. Sharp lacto sourness makes me think of sucking on a lemon, then a touch of spices and oak. Citrus and some vanilla, slight malt. A touch of vinegar and some brett. Amazingly balanced, it's got that traditional gueze without the skunky, dirty diaper element. Instead, an intense, sour, but dry and clean beer emerges. Awesome, probably the best Russian River beer I've had.

Mouthfeel is nice, not too carbonated like some American wilds. Sticky and dry finish because of the oak and sourness. Really nice but nothing world class like the taste. This beer is super sour, not Cantillon Kriek razors down the throat sour, but really puckering. This beer rocks, plain and simple. I have a batch 3 750ml bottle to open sometime down the line and I can't wait. Highly, highly recommended for the sour connoisseur or any beer lover. This stuff is amazing and may be a permanent ISO for me.

4.89/5  rDev +7.2%

I shared this at my tasting on August 7, 2010. Served alongside six other Russian River wild ales.

Batch 003

A: Beatification appears a very hazy yellow hue. There is a small head comprised of white bubbles that leaves a little lacing on the glass.

S: The aroma is simply amazing. I was expecting great things, and was not disappointed. Sour funk, lemons, hay, and brettanomyces are the basic makeup of the scents.

T: Not surprisingly, Beatification tastes phenomenal, as the fine aroma would indicate. Really tart, this is almost like a lemon gueuze. The aroma is staggering as you get the glass near your face, then the flavor is just awesome. The taste was an instant 5. World class.

M: As sour as this beer is, there is no harshness or astringent aspects to it. A pleasant pucker and lingering aftertaste with every drink.

D: I would drink this every day if it were feasible. Wow.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

750ml bottle caged and corked. Poured into a tasting glass a couple of times :)

A- Pours a hazy golden color. A thin white head. Some light subtle lacing left behind. It's kind of bubbly.

A- Big bretty funky goodness right up front and in charge. There is a oak presence and slight hint of lemon. Sour and funky. A sharp chardonnay scent creeps up on me.

T- Perfect, hands down! The funky brett and sourness is absolutely amazing. Again, as in the nose, I pick up on lemon, chardonnay, oak, some more funk, a little more sourness and a little more funk. There is also some sour apple taste that I'm really enjoying. Did I mention I LOVE this beer.

M- Medium in body. A crisp dry finish. Carbonation was spot on. Leaves a lingering tartness. Again, I can't think of anything to say bad about this beer.

D- PERFECT! My favorite out of all the sours we consumed. One of my favorite beers to date!

4.32/5  rDev -5.3%

Date: 07/31/2010
Vintage: Batch 3
Type: 750ml. Bottle
Glassware: Portsmouth Tulip (I really need to start using a different glass!)

Tasted at The Epic Sweet & Sour Tasting I w/ wunderbeer(Ron), ShadesofGray(Ryan), and big Dan. Sweet event!

Poured a golden straw in color w/ a 1/2 finger white head that left nice lacing on the glass. The nose was of tart acidicness, light earthy funk, orange peel, and lemon zest. The taste was the same as the nose. Mouthfeel was thin and clean. I could easily drink this all night long. Everytime I say that I feel like I should quote Lionel Ritchie.

Overall, nice brew that is a pleasure to drink anytime.

4.24/5  rDev -7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 3.5 | overall: 4

Thanks to urwithdave for cracking this one as aprt of our sick night of sours. Poured into a tasting glass.

A: Cloudy burnt yellow. The pour dropped a less than impressive head, buyt what was there stuck around and then left some stickiness behind.

A: White wine, grapes, green apple, and yes the funk! Barnyard and horseblanket abound in this brew. Sour lacto, and notes of grass.

T: Sour funky goodness all the way. I get the same underlying notes as in the nose, but the sourness is seems to overpower them all. I am left scratching my tounge to see if any saliva is left. Nope, if finishes very fruity and dry.

M: Tingley with the aggressive carbonation. Medium body.

D and overall impression: Drinkability is just a touch lower due to the extreme sourness of the brew. Overall, I really liked what RR did here. Out of all the sours we tasted, this one came in at #2. Skal.

4.27/5  rDev -6.4%

Thanks to jedwards for sharing. 375ml corked and caged bottle, batch #2. Poured a hazy, golden-orange, with no head. Nose reveals some citrus (perhaps tangerines), cork and a hint of funk. Taste reveals muted grapefruit seeds and a salty quality. Mouthfeel is light-medium (but closer to light), with an easy carbonation and some light astringency that stimulates the salivary glands. What an incredible sour - light, flavorful and extremely drinkable. Wish I could get more of this.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Batch 3 750ml bottle...

Appearance: Pours straw yellow with a 1 finger white crown that shows moderate retention and lace.

Smell: Nice combination of lemon and urine soaked hay, green grape skins, medium tartness/pucker, salt, moderate sourness and funk.

Taste: Loads of lemon bitterness, white and green grapes, likghtly salty, moderate barnyard.

Mouthfeel: On the thick side of thin bodied with prickly carbonation.

Drinkability: Fairly easy to drink but the sourness and citric qualities get to you after a bit.

This one is nowhere near as sour or pungent as batch 2 but still a great brew!

Drinkability:

4.6/5  rDev +0.9%
look: 4.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 5

7/17/2010

Batch 001 - PH1 generously opened by javib458, thanks!

I've had this a dozen times yet I seem to have failed to review it. I will remedy that now.

Poured into a snifter, the beer is yellow gold with good clarity and a small fizzy white head that exhibits good retention and leaves scattered lacing.

The aroma is a piquant blend of tart citrus and oak, with a moderate Brett presence that imparts some horsey, musty, and cheese notes. It's fairly well balanced, but the citrus is slightly more prominent than the rest.

The flavor is a succulent lemon tartness with light apple notes, balanced by oak and a dry, champagne-like mouthfeel. Musty and lactic notes are apparent, and the beer finishes with a mouth puckering tartness, a moderate sourness, and lingering citrus notes.

I first had 001 - PH1 on 7/25/09 in a full Beatification vertical (001, 001 - PH1, 002, 003), and I couldn't decide if 002 or PH1 was the best batch. I had PH1 again at Woodshop 5.0 on 2/20/2010 and it was a disgusting mess, so I was worried the whole batch had gone downhill. This most recent bottle was sublime, so I really have no idea what the deal was with the bottle at Woodshop. There were no detectable off flavors here; it was a display of all around excellence.

4.25/5  rDev -6.8%

750ml Bottle - Batch 003

Pours a golden color with a decent white head. Smell is very funky like cheese, sour lemons, apples, and oak. Taste is sour lemons, pears, apples, funk and oak. Medium mouthfeel, good carbonation, with a dry finish. Overall it is another great sour.

4.42/5  rDev -3.1%

Thanks to Exiled for sharing this bottle.

Batch 003. The beer pours a hazy gold color with a white head. The aroma is much more funky than the other Russian River sours I have rated. I get some cheesy funk, a little tartness and some oak and vanilla. The flavor is more of the cheesy funk with some tart lemons and oak character. Medium mouthfeel and medium carbonation.

4.29/5  rDev -5.9%

Batch 2.

Hazy pale orange color with a minimal off-white head that fizzes away.

The aroma is acidic and fruity. Very intense. Notes of cheese and dust, with a sharp lemon character. Very nice.

The flavor is intensely sour with crystal clear lemon notes. Not as funky as the smell. Notes of grass and dust. Obvious cellar character with lovely barrel notes. The finish is bone dry and almost harshly sour.

Medium body, fairly lively carbonation.

This might be the most genuine American sour ale I've come across. Very lambic-like in terms of sourness and overall character.

4.57/5  rDev +0.2%

Huge thanks to Jeff (ipa247) for this one. Batch 2 bottle poured into a snifter and shared with schen9303.

A: Pours a slight .5 finger coarse white head that dissipates quickly into a thin wisp. Beer is semi-cloudy lemon with a tint of orange. Lacing is very spotty and with little cling.

S: Lemon rinds, citrus, oak, peat, all painted on a background of subtle booziness. Very clean and crisp here with great separation.

T: Lemon tartness is pervasive throughout. Citrus and peat with a rind bitterness in the back. Yeasty at points and very sharp. Vinegary as it warms. Finish dries out at the start but actually becomes more watery and messy going into the aftertaste. Sweetness left on the palate along with a yeasty sharp cheesiness.

M: Light bodied and highly carbonated. Very lively in the mouth though slightly rough around the edges. Grainy at points because of the carbonation. Finish is slightly dry and aftertaste is moderately messy.

D: A very solid beer and in my opinion, the best of the "-tion" series next to supplication. Clean and crisp with a taste that isn't overly complex but still very well executed. Thanks again to Jeff for the opportunity and I can't wait to try this again with perhaps even a little more time on it.

4.52/5  rDev -0.9%

Was lucky to score two bottles of the most recent batch (3) from Arbitrator and 6daysbottomocean in a trade and a BIF. Shared one at a great central Ohio BA tasting and enjoyed the second one myself. Perhaps may have moved into the slot of my favorite Russian River sour (for now that is...haven't tried them all).

Appearance- Pours a hazy straw golden out of the bottle. Between the two bottles, I had a pour towards the bottom of the bottle and one more towards the top. The haziness of the beer naturally increased towards the bottom, but I digress, the review will be off the current pour, which is towards the bottom. I get a small, maybe quarter finger, of fizzy white head that almost immediately dies back to a ring around the edges.

Smell- Wow, smells very tart and very citrusy. Extreme amounts of lemon zest is really all I can think to say with regards to the citrus, maybe just a touch of tart green apples as well. In addition to the citrus, there is a also quite a solid deal of well integrated barnyard funk. Smells delicious.

Taste- Huge amounts of lemon zest all over your palate right off the bat. I don't know if I've ever had an unfruited wild that has struck me as tasting quite so much of lemon. That being said, it is a really fresh and delicious taste with quite a good deal of lactic tartness to it. Rounded out again with a solid amount of funk that strikes me somewhat of an acrid leather taste in this instance. I really like this.

Mouthfeel/Drinkability- Mouthfeel is adequately but not over carbonated and also plenty substantial for the style. Drinkability was fantastic for me as well given the fruity fresh nature of the beer. I knew I would be feeling the beer in my stomach later with all the wild bugs, but it sure did go down easy.

Overall, yet another fantastic sour from Russian River. As I said, probably my current favorite from their lineup.

4.17/5  rDev -8.6%

Big thanks to KBM for sharing this beer at his birthday. I believe it was a 750 mL of Batch 003.

A - Pale golden color with just milimeters worth of head. Minimal lacing left on the glass as well.

S - Smells sour...funky. there is lots of lemon and tartness in the smell.

T - Lots of lemon and tart with some funkiness in there.

M - Light body and minimal carbonation

D - it's good, but one glass is enough for me.

4.39/5  rDev -3.7%
look: 3.5 | smell: 4.5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4 | overall: 4.5

The label mentions they have blended two "Sonamics" and that's about right. We have an American guezue (more or less).

Typical funk smell. Taste is some citrus with lambic taste. Like actual lambic/guezue taste. I believe I can taste oak as well.

4.57/5  rDev +0.2%

Received as part of a trade with colonelforbin...thanks for the hook-up, Mike!

After a good night of Euchre and some beers, Kate and I stayed late to work on the Beatification. I give Kate some props for hanging late when she was faced with the FE (Fundamentals of Engineering) exam in a few hours. This should get her primed!

Poured into my Portsmouth snifter, the Beatification looks a hazy tawny yellow. Very cloudy with swirls of suspension sticking around. A small white head leaves quickly and places no head on the glass. A decent looking beer, but nothing exceptional.

Smells zesty. Some grassy, wet, slightly funky smell stands out. Maybe a bit of lemon with only a slight amount of funk. It's there, but the barnyard is in the background.

Tart. Very tart. One of the most tart wilds I've ever had. I remember trying the Temptation for the first time and thinking it was very tart. Well, tonight I had them back to back and the Beatification holds Temptation's head under the water. This is tart, gland hitting stuff. I really enjoy the taste / mouthfeel. It is light bodied and not highly carbonated, but I love the way it feels. Great stuff. I get the tart before I even let the beer drop down over my tongue...it's obvious. There is a bit more of the funky barnyardness in the taste as compared to the aroma, but definitely not overwhelming.

This is one of those weird beers. It's not going to rank as one of my tops on BA, but it is definitely one that I would prefer to drink above many that "rank" higher. I love the taste - again, it won't rank as high as something like Supplication, but it is something I would pick first. One of the best beers RR makes.

Consumed - 4/16/2010

4.56/5  rDev 0%
look: 3.5 | smell: 5 | taste: 4.5 | feel: 4.5 | overall: 4.5

Whew, glad I found these notes...

Poured to a slender Argyle wine taster in the earliest hours of April 6th. I brought this (a 375ml caged/corked bottle, Batch 002) with me to Louisiana, where I had hoped to share a few sips with my mom. A little too late, though, as she slipped away into a semi-coma earlier in the evening... a grateful 'cheers' for the time we shared that weekend.

A: Uncorked with a soft pop and poured like liquid bread, a hazy golden-orange, 'apricot' colored. A brief fizz and roil, followed by a thin swirling veil and pencil-thin white ring. Behind that dense cloudiness, there seem to be a several decent streams of carbonation.

S: Brazen 'sweet-tart' greeting; it tingles in the nose with citrus pith, rotting hay ('barn' aroma) and a fleeting clover/mint sweetness. Finishing 'oak barrel' woodsy tannins, white grape.

T: Biting tartness and, later, a chalky dryness. Unripened berries and crisp green apples, both sour and introduce some sweetness. A pithy lemonade, an earthy tang that hints at stronger goat cheeses (???, but the bacterial/mineral base makes sense...). Complex (no surprise) and intense, pretty outstanding.

M: An upfront lip-pucker and tongue-curl. Cellaring seems to have reduced crispness/carbonation; the resulting milder feel is surprisingly smoothed, the body medium/light. Some medicinal dryness in a lasting finish.

D: A 'wow' American Wild, vibrant and refined over time...I'd love to have this again (and have since picked up later versions of Beatification for similar aging), but it's a style that is best in small quantities and/or shared with someone special.

Thanks to jgaston for sending this bottle back in mid-2008...glad I cellared it for a couple years.

4.97/5  rDev +9%

Thanks to an awesome BA who poured me the last few oz of his bottle. Review from notes on 4/24/10

A - Poured a nicely hazy lemon yellow/tangerine with a frothy white head. Not much retention, as expected with most wild ales. Sparkles in the sun. Wow. 4.5

S - This is simply fantastic. So much going on here, yet I feel I'll be doing this beer injustice by attempting to describe it. But here goes. A crisp tart aroma similar to extremely tart lemons, a touch of that "barnyard" funkiness like a bit of earthy mushrooms, a very small bit of grass and a bit of oak. This is simply excellent. 5.0

T - Extraordinary tartness explodes with citrusy and a faint kiwi-like flavor. Followed closely with that distinct "barnyard" earthiness and a long, sour finish. I wish my vocabulary for wild and sour beers was better. 5.0

M - Light, crisp, well carbonated. So incredibly smooth. There is no "bite", nor is it lacking carbonation in any way. So well balanced. 5.0

D - What do you think?! This is phenomenal. Truly an enlightening experience in my beer ventures. 5.0

4.09/5  rDev -10.3%

Batch 002. Hazy, yellow gold pour with a small short lived, fizzy, white head. Oaky funk aroma with notes of butterscotch, grass, herbs, bread and yeast. Immensly sour flavor upfront with some white grape hints, butterscotch, slight oak on the finish, lemon, grass, sipcy hops, apple and yeast. Medium body. Very dry finish and livlely carbonation.

4.77/5  rDev +4.6%

Pours a very light golden with a tinge of amber and burnt orange. The head is off white, but doesn't stick around long enough to admire. The smell is great. Lots of citrusy fruits, mostly lemon. Some oakiness and even a little alcohol to complement the funky brett.

Wow! RR sours continue to absolutely blow me away. This may be the sourest one I've tried. This thing is like drinking straight grapefruit juice aged in oak barrels with lemon added along with dissolved sweet tarts and that ever so special brett element that gives a barnyard/earthy character.

The mouthfeel is also great. Very light, but always (with RR) well carbonated. Drinkability too, is as always, through the roof.

4.33/5  rDev -5%

Shared at a sour tasting/brewing at a friend's house. We brewed a wild sour and between everyone we had about 23 bottles of various sours including Cuvee De Tomme, Isabel, Cuvee De Rank, Brute, and many more big sours. We then took the last bit of each bottle (about an 1")and added it to the sour we brewed. Will not be ready for bottling until next fall/winter but cannot wait to see what comes of it.
Had this in a snifter. A golden straw like color with a nice amount of carbonation that kept a very small ring around the top. A creamy vanilla and banana (major banana)aroma with the obvious brett character as well. Loved this aroma! Major tartness in taste. After a few sips I could taste the oak and wine in it with some lemon/lime hints. An excellent big sour taste. This is a real sour, unlike wanna be sours such as Moaten. A "light" body with much weaker carbonation then expected, but very well balanced especially considering all that is in it. I expected some vinegar but seemed like none considering how big of a sour it is. Anyone who wants to see what a sour beer is, you must try this one! I love this beer as one of my top three sours ever!! A must try.

3.85/5  rDev -15.6%

Had this on tap at Toronado during SF Beer week.
Beatification by RR is a wild ale that is 100% spontaneously fermented beer using the oldest barrels that no longer have any wine flavor or oak flavor left in them. 5.5% abv. It poured a cloudy sun yellow. It smelled of sour, oak and Brett. It tasted sour! Lemon, lemon, lemon sour, Brett and super dry. It is one tart beer! Reminiscent of Isabelle Proximus, a one note incredibly sour beer.

4.68/5  rDev +2.6%

My 200th Review!!!

Batch 002

Pours a cloudy golden color. Hefeweizen-ish. No head, no lacing.

Aroma smells Vinous. Very wine like. Lots of funk and tart aromas.

Taste is awesome. This one is super tart. Very lemony tart with lots of Brett Funk.

Mouthfeel is very dry on the Palate with a nice high carb.

Overall an amazing beer that everyone should seek out. It's gotten pretty tart over the course of a year or so so if you want to age some, be known that this is what it does.

4.85/5  rDev +6.4%

Batch 2

A: I poured the entire 375 bottle carefully into an oversized wine glass, making sure to leave all the yeast and sediment behind. Beatification had an amazing orange, golden apricot color. High clarity, leaving a minimal ring of white foam on the surface of the beer. Bright and beautiful appearance.

S:Lots of good ol funk in the nose: goaty, cheesy, tart, lemon. So much complexity. Just an amazing smell for a wild ale.

T:Starts of tart, acidic, lots of clean lemon, sour citrus, with the faintests hints of oak, especially as the beer warmed up to room temp. I couldn't imagine this beer getting any better.

M: Smooth, clean, soft carbonation and a dry finish. I would have liked a touch more carbonation, but at this point I am just looking for something to complain about.

D:This batch is ridiculously good. So clean and tart. I have had both batch 2 and 3 a few times, and I have to say batch 2 maybe a little more tart than batch 3. Although any version of this beer is simply outstanding.

4.49/5  rDev -1.5%

Split amongst friends at a recent gathering. 750mL Batch 003 bottle.

Poured into a snifter.

Appearance: First pour was crystal clear, but each successive one came out more and more hazy. I was trying to be careful, but oh well. Body was straw gold in color and displayed pretty active carbonation. A hair-thin ring of white bubbles sat on top for the entire session and didn't drag any lacing.

Smell: Huge banana! Wow! Banana, vanilla, cream, and lemon all come forth in harmony. As the beer warms fresh dough, peanut shells, and finally bret come out. What a fantastic combination of aromas! Easy 5.0!

Taste: Strong mouth-puckering tartness on the first sip. Once acclimated, I get lemon, sparkling wine, oak, lime, hay, and other farmhouse flavors. Honey? Maybe. Not vinegary at all. I love the big sourness!

Mouthfeel: Light-bodied with high yet soft carbonation. Very sour - leaves the mouth feeling pretty worn out. Mouth-puckering at times. All in all though, pretty easy-going for a sour. No vinegary sting.

Drinkability: By far the best light-colored sour I've had. Complex, intense, and tangy. The high sourness hurts the drinkability a bit. But damn... I still can't get over that smell! Highly, highly recommended!

Beatification from Russian River Brewing Company